Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 715467 times)

Apple_Tango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1950 on: November 04, 2017, 08:51:58 PM »
I'm in traveling healthcare, and because of my stash I am able to take long breaks between assignments without too much worry. Today was my last day and I got questioned about 100 times from my coworkers about what I was doing next. A few were a little wide eyed when I smiled ear to ear and said "I'm unemployed!!"

Every contract starts out promising and I think "This is a nice place! Maybe I can stay here" but then after about 3 months I am just pacing in my cage waiting to run away as soon as the door opens. And now I'm free!!!!!!!  It's not really an epic FU story, but it allows me to keep building my stash and not be afraid of the insecurity of the job schedule I have. Honestly since I graduated with my degree I have not been able to keep a full time job for more than 9 months. Not because I'm a bad employee! I still have standing offers for pretty much any job I have ever left (the fact that ALL of them are still unfilled or have high turnover should tell you something). I am just counting down the years to FIRE. But these long breaks let me breathe a little bit. And seek needed medical and dental care lol. A vacation to go to the doctor!

The plan this time is just to get a part time job over the holidays, now that my health insurance is coming through COBRA for a few months. My expenses are so low that even with a part time job I should be able to increase the 'stache.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:54:29 PM by TravelingCheddar »

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #1951 on: November 05, 2017, 02:49:11 AM »
Anticipatory FU story coming in:

My wife and I moved recently and last year she wasn't able to have Christmas with her family. This year, they're flying out and we'll spend some time with them; the first Christmas she'd have spent with them in a few years, and their first time visiting us.

She asked off for the 26th of December and was denied PTO - back over three months ago. So she's going to call out sick. If they fire her, so be it. It's ridiculous that with so much notice, in her line of work, she "can't" take that time off when family is in town. We've got the cash to deal with her getting fired if that's what happens. Feelsgoodman
Though it's great you guys can afford this, it's insane tht a single PTO day does not get approved, even when requested months in advance. Any decent vacation would end up including a Tuesday after all. What line of work is she in?

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #1952 on: November 05, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
These aren't my stories but here goes.

When I worked at a newspaper in the late '90s, one of the reporters got fed up and just basically left. He said he had enough money to live on until he found something else. He was only in his 20s so I wondered how the heck he'd managed to save that much money.

This is an FU story. An online acquaintance was working for a college. Apparently her boss was a real witch, and one day, she just snapped and walked out. She really didn't have any money to speak of. The best part was: She sent a letter through the college's email system to the entire staff and faculty, telling everyone how horrible the witch was. (Update: A few years later, she is poor but happy. Inherited a little bit of money, can collect social security, and works small jobs. Just moved to the city of her dreams).

I have an online pen pal who worked in the insurance industry for a long time. She said she saved for a rainy day, and when it rained it poured. When she lost her job, she spent two years looking for another, and never found one. She never went back to work and doesn't have to. She's only 55. I wish I knew her secret...

Well, that last one really wasn't an FU story, but...

APowers

• Bristles
« Reply #1953 on: November 07, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »

My wife and I moved recently and last year she wasn't able to have Christmas with her family. This year, they're flying out and we'll spend some time with them; the first Christmas she'd have spent with them in a few years, and their first time visiting us.

She asked off for the 26th of December and was denied PTO - back over three months ago. So she's going to call out sick. If they fire her, so be it. It's ridiculous that with so much notice, in her line of work, she "can't" take that time off when family is in town. We've got the cash to deal with her getting fired if that's what happens. Feelsgoodman
Though it's great you guys can afford this, it's insane tht a single PTO day does not get approved, even when requested months in advance. Any decent vacation would end up including a Tuesday after all. What line of work is she in?
Employer won't give workers days off around christmas? I'm going to guess retail.

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1954 on: November 07, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »

Employer won't give workers days off around christmas? I'm going to guess retail.

Logistics

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #1955 on: November 07, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »

Logistics
That's very sad, how's someone supposed to maintain their sanity in such an environment? Needless to say, this story is in complete contrast to Linda_Norway's thread on the topic of vacation days among US employees, and confirms my suspicion that MMMers aren't exactly representative of the general public...

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1956 on: November 07, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »

Logistics
That's very sad, how's someone supposed to maintain their sanity in such an environment? Needless to say, this story is in complete contrast to Linda_Norway's thread on the topic of vacation days among US employees, and confirms my suspicion that MMMers aren't exactly representative of the general public...
This whole Christmas time off thing makes me remember something.  So, my big sis has been working at the same insurance company (small town, she's the office manager) for 30+ years now.  There are now 4-5 ladies working at the office for the two insurance salesmen.  In any event, my sister gets first dibs on vacation time (and while her pay is crap, she gets 5 weeks off a year - way better than me).  So she always chooses the same week at Christmas.

That means nobody else gets to take it.  Or only one other person.  We had a convo once and she said that she gets first pick because of seniority.  But the funny thing is, second in seniority is a woman who has been there ONE YEAR LESS.  So this lady basically gets screwed every year.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1957 on: November 07, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Imma

• Bristles
« Reply #1958 on: November 08, 2017, 02:31:38 AM »

Logistics
This whole Christmas time off thing makes me remember something.  So, my big sis has been working at the same insurance company (small town, she's the office manager) for 30+ years now.  There are now 4-5 ladies working at the office for the two insurance salesmen.  In any event, my sister gets first dibs on vacation time (and while her pay is crap, she gets 5 weeks off a year - way better than me).  So she always chooses the same week at Christmas.

That means nobody else gets to take it.  Or only one other person.  We had a convo once and she said that she gets first pick because of seniority.  But the funny thing is, second in seniority is a woman who has been there ONE YEAR LESS.  So this lady basically gets screwed every year.

That's the biggest downside for me of working at a small company. Only one person can take a vacation at the time and in those type of companies there's often a strong hierarchy. Which means if you're the new person (and you can be the new person for 10 years) you're basically screwed. I'm lucky that my coworkers don't care about christmas, so I get to take the week between christmas and NYE off, but I didn't have a summer holiday. Coworkers have kids, so they want to spend that time with their kids (understandably) and I'm stuck in the office working overtime for the entire summer.

sequoia

• Bristles
« Reply #1959 on: November 08, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »

That's the biggest downside for me of working at a small company. Only one person can take a vacation at the time and in those type of companies there's often a strong hierarchy. Which means if you're the new person (and you can be the new person for 10 years) you're basically screwed. I'm lucky that my coworkers don't care about christmas, so I get to take the week between christmas and NYE off, but I didn't have a summer holiday. Coworkers have kids, so they want to spend that time with their kids (understandably) and I'm stuck in the office working overtime for the entire summer.

Wow... I understand the hierarchy thing and trying not to have more than one person on vacation at one time but I am surprised that matter during Christmas time. Unless a company is doing retail, I do not see how other business can be that busy during Christmas.

I used to work for a large company, and around Christmas, we probably have 10% staff around Christmas with nothing to do for those who come in to work. Not only the managers are on vacation, but our clients are on vacations too, so nothing gets done even if we want to.

Sorry I am going off on a tangent. I now definitely appreciate more that I can take time off pretty much anytime I want.

rockstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1960 on: November 08, 2017, 07:47:51 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

I'm confused by this comment unless all the other ladies are mean and awful.

I would never take Christmas week off personally. That is a waste of a vacation week since there is hardly ever any work to do, and crowds everywhere. I'd rather use vacation for when other people are working.

Liberty Stache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1961 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
I would never take Christmas week off personally. That is a waste of a vacation week since there is hardly ever any work to do, and crowds everywhere. I'd rather use vacation for when other people are working.

I am the same way (for now). What changes the math is when you have kid(s) that are out of school.

But I agree. For your typical cube dweller the week or so around Christmas is where you can work half the time and accomplish twice the amount of work (no interruptions).
"Sloth, like rust, consumes faster than labor wears, while the used key is always bright" ~Benjamin Franklin, The Way to Wealth

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1962 on: November 08, 2017, 10:21:15 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^
I'm confused by this comment...
She could share or alternate. She's using her seniority to tilt the playing field. The fact that the next senior person is only slightly less senior kinda makes it sound like she revels in her seniority,  which is not pretty or kind, hence Karma.

A Lot Like This

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1963 on: November 08, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
Imma, the fall is a lovely time to travel. Could you plan something for then so you have something to look forward to in the dog days of summer? I used to go to DC a lot. The best time was in early September. Lovely weather, no lines, and shoulder season rates. The kids were back in school and hadn't had time to plan their rampages field trips yet. It was heavenly.
A Lot Like This

rockstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1964 on: November 08, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^
She could share or alternate. She's using her seniority to tilt the playing field. The fact that the next senior person is only slightly less senior kinda makes it sound like she revels in her seniority,  which is not pretty or kind, hence Karma.

ohhhh you mean it WILL get her. I thought you meant Karma was a bitch to the lady who couldn't take vacation. Maybe I'd better head back to bed.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1965 on: November 08, 2017, 11:22:57 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

ohhhh you mean it WILL get her. I thought you meant Karma was a bitch to the lady who couldn't take vacation. Maybe I'd better head back to bed.

I read it the same way you did. The clarification made much more sense  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1966 on: November 08, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »
Imma, the fall is a lovely time to travel. Could you plan something for then so you have something to look forward to in the dog days of summer? I used to go to DC a lot. The best time was in early September. Lovely weather, no lines, and shoulder season rates. The kids were back in school and hadn't had time to plan their rampages field trips yet. It was heavenly.

One of the great joys of FIREing is that we have discovered that the worker bees have a very fixed window to enjoy a whole lot of opportunities when it comes to recreation and tourism, and since you are post-unemployed, you get to enjoy the best places during the times when the masses have to stay chained to their desks.  We relocated to the heart of the Amish country in PA, earlier this year. We had been visiting the area for two decades, and had a huge concern about moving to a place that sees eight million tourists a year. We had spend many Saturdays in years past, crawling in tourist traffic, and didn't want to turn that into a lifestyle. After a few months of being here, and unwinding a bit, we finally figured out that the ONLY time our neighborhood sucks is from about 10AM to 6PM on Saturdays, from mid-spring to Christmas. That is less than 10% of the time, and we now have a very good handle of every farm road, and back alley in the land, and how to use them to get around the lines of out of state cars that stack up on those days. We just smile when people from out of town say, "you live in a beautiful place, but oh, God, that traffic".

We have also used this concept as we spent a few years roaming around the states in our motorhome, and rarely did anything the would potentially involve crowds on a weekend, or peak times. We made darn sure to find quiet places to hide on the big summer holidays. The wonderful world of RVing can really turn to shit on holidays like the 4th of July, when the campgrounds are 110% full. Occasionally full of families with a litter of screaming little brats and a $300 pop-up camper that blew two tires on the way there. Due to awesome parenting and social skills, they then decide that the way to address the sugared up, screaming little spawn, at 11pm, is to make the bonfire bigger, kick up the drinking a notch, and turn up the sorry-assed country music they and half the county are "enjoying". The amazing part is that, by the last week of August, chucklenuts like this are long gone, and great places are very lightly attended. If you really want your experience to be wonderful and uncrowded, push the limits and get there a week or two before the places are about to roll up the sidewalks for the winter.  Places like the Black Hills, SD, or the coast of Maine, absolutely kick ass in the second half of September, and 80% or more of the crowds are gone. Yellowstone is another great example. They have been setting attendance records every year, and by noon on a typical mid-summer day, the place looks like a street in Manhattan. Get there the week after labor day, and it's like another planet. Without kids to accommodate, being able to take time off in fall and spring is a gift.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1967 on: November 08, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

Well, it hasn't gotten her yet.  Honestly, she quit her job for a better one once.  They begged her to stay.  She lasted a week at the new job.  Asked to go back.  They hired her back as if she never left AND started paying for her health insurance (small office, nobody got health insurance back then).  Because...she's honestly better at the job than anyone else.

Actually, I think 2-3 years ago Lady #2 quit, because she was sleeping with the (married) boss and the truth came out.  When it comes to Karma, my sister has way more good karma than the rest of the office, even with claiming the same week at Christmas. 

saguaro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1968 on: November 08, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »

[ If you really want your experience to be wonderful and uncrowded, push the limits and get there a week or two before the places are about to roll up the sidewalks for the winter.  Places like the Black Hills, SD, or the coast of Maine, absolutely kick ass in the second half of September, and 80% or more of the crowds are gone. Yellowstone is another great example. They have been setting attendance records every year, and by noon on a typical mid-summer day, the place looks like a street in Manhattan. Get there the week after labor day, and it's like another planet. Without kids to accommodate, being able to take time off in fall and spring is a gift.

ITA on this.  Spring and fall are the times that DH and I typically travel and we plan things around when schools are in session.  This is also means we avoid the spring break weeks as well. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1969 on: November 08, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »
I don't think Dicey was claiming anywhere near enough knowledge of your sister to say she wasn't valued, or didn't have positive karma, or whatever.

Just that it'd be a nice thing sometimes to let others have it as well, even if it's her "right" to claim it.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1970 on: November 08, 2017, 02:08:48 PM »
I don't think Dicey was claiming anywhere near enough knowledge of your sister to say she wasn't valued, or didn't have positive karma, or whatever.

Just that it'd be a nice thing sometimes to let others have it as well, even if it's her "right" to claim it.
Thanks, ARS. You nailed it.

But the funny thing is, second in seniority is a woman who has been there ONE YEAR LESS. So this lady basically gets screwed every year.
Uh, I'm responding to what you wrote about your sister.
A Lot Like This

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1971 on: November 08, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »
But I agree. For your typical cube dweller the week or so around Christmas is where you can work half the time and accomplish twice the amount of work (no interruptions).

I would prefer that too but my boss insists on closing the office for 2 whole weeks at Christmas. So everyone is forced to take leave then. It sucks. Really it's just another example of my boss being a micromanaging control freak.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1972 on: November 08, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »

I would prefer that too but my boss insists on closing the office for 2 whole weeks at Christmas. So everyone is forced to take leave then. It sucks. Really it's just another example of my boss being a micromanaging control freak.

My boss-man basically closes the company down between xmass and new years; everyone gets paid holiday time.  Then we can take vacation to fill in any gaps to preceding/following weekends.  Basically the thinking is we would be getting nothing done anyway with all external contacts on vacation and half the company otherwise also gone.  It is a good perk.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1973 on: November 08, 2017, 02:56:23 PM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

I agree rockstache. That was my Christmas time vacation policy while working. We would typically take long lunches that week with whoever was around. Call it "team building" if you'd like.

However, there was one year where an overeager and overbearing boss started asking around the room who would be in that week. I figured that would mean he would load us with extra work, so I made a game time decision during that meeting to take the week off. It was a good decision.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:40:44 PM by Daisy »

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1974 on: November 08, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »

One of the great joys of FIREing is that we have discovered that the worker bees have a very fixed window to enjoy a whole lot of opportunities when it comes to recreation and tourism, and since you are post-unemployed, you get to enjoy the best places during the times when the masses have to stay chained to their desks. . . . 

. . . If you really want your experience to be wonderful and uncrowded, push the limits and get there a week or two before the places are about to roll up the sidewalks for the winter.  Places like the Black Hills, SD, or the coast of Maine, absolutely kick ass in the second half of September, and 80% or more of the crowds are gone. Yellowstone is another great example. They have been setting attendance records every year, and by noon on a typical mid-summer day, the place looks like a street in Manhattan. Get there the week after labor day, and it's like another planet. Without kids to accommodate, being able to take time off in fall and spring is a gift.

I absolutely LOVE traveling in September because typically the weather in the US/Europe is still quite pleasant and there are far fewer tourists around.  Best spots I've been in September include Lake Tahoe, the Montana/Wyoming/South Dakota national and state parks (yes, paddedhat, including the Black Hills!), Italy, Greece, and Portugal. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE September vacations!

sequoia

• Bristles
« Reply #1975 on: November 08, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »

Perhaps a good example of having FU money... you can walk away from this sucky job....

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1976 on: November 08, 2017, 04:31:57 PM »

Perhaps a good example of having FU money... you can walk away from this sucky job....

;) soon. I'm working on it. Sticking it out at the moment as it's bearable. But once I get my long service leave paid out, I'll be looking seriously. It probably won't be epic though.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:08:59 PM by Rowellen »

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1977 on: November 08, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »
I absolutely LOVE traveling in September because typically the weather in the US/Europe is still quite pleasant and there are far fewer tourists around.  Best spots I've been in September include Lake Tahoe, the Montana/Wyoming/South Dakota national and state parks (yes, paddedhat, including the Black Hills!), Italy, Greece, and Portugal. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE September vacations!
We homeschool our kids, and my work schedule is flexible, so we have the freedom to travel when we want as well.  Last time, we hid Disney World in late January/early February.  The weather was beautiful (cool in the morning, warm but comfortable in the afternoon), the crowds were light, and the hotel rates were cheaper :)

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1978 on: November 09, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »

;) soon. I'm working on it. Sticking it out at the moment as it's bearable. But once I get my long service leave paid out, I'll be looking seriously. It probably won't be epic though.

Sometimes the epic part is NOT throwing a fit and quitting. I am very proud of the fact that I haven't decked my manager yet. That self control is entirely due to FU money (it's better for me long term right now to stay where I am while job searching).

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1979 on: November 09, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »

Sometimes the epic part is NOT throwing a fit and quitting. I am very proud of the fact that I haven't decked my manager yet. That self control is entirely due to FU money (it's better for me long term right now to stay where I am while job searching).

That is true. The position is very convenient and the pay is nice. It's not really the job from hell.  I'm just really bored and my boss is a micromanager. I really shouldn't complain. I restrain from throwing my computer at my boss's head.

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1980 on: November 09, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »
That is true. The position is very convenient and the pay is nice. It's not really the job from hell.  I'm just really bored and my boss is a micromanager. I really shouldn't complain. I restrain from throwing my computer at my boss's head.
Real purpose of laptop docking stations - makes throwing the computer at boss' head a little more difficult.

jlcnuke

• Stubble
« Reply #1981 on: November 09, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
^^Karma's a bitch.^^

I always take Christmas week off. With company holidays, I'm using 3 days of PTO this year to take 11 days off in a row. I like to maximize my "overall" time off by combining PTO with paid holidays to get the most "bang" for my PTO.
Delta card referral, 10k extra for both of us (60k total bonus miles for you) http://refer.amex.us/JEFFRC3xlu?xl=cp52

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1982 on: November 09, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »

Oh yes. Tomorrow is going to strain my self control to some extent. However, I will not throw the laptop at the manager. I will also not tell the manager that she's a control freak.

Edit:
Heard from one recruiter, that company wants me to do a 2nd interview when they normally only do 1sts. Because they've got multiple teams fighting to make me an offer and they don't know which team I'd do best at.

Got a voicemail from another recruiter, call her. Ok, I'll call her. Because that's the company I really prefer, and if they want a 2nd interview, I'll make it happen.

Send good thoughts please....
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:13:30 PM by Sibley »

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1983 on: November 09, 2017, 08:44:36 PM »

Oh yes. Tomorrow is going to strain my self control to some extent. However, I will not throw the laptop at the manager. I will also not tell the manager that she's a control freak.

Edit:
Heard from one recruiter, that company wants me to do a 2nd interview when they normally only do 1sts. Because they've got multiple teams fighting to make me an offer and they don't know which team I'd do best at.

Got a voicemail from another recruiter, call her. Ok, I'll call her. Because that's the company I really prefer, and if they want a 2nd interview, I'll make it happen.

Give 'em hell!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1984 on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:21 PM »
Consider it done.
A Lot Like This

Imma

• Bristles
« Reply #1985 on: November 10, 2017, 05:56:17 AM »

I usually take some time off in September / October and it's a great time to make trips (which we do if we can) but where we live the weather is unpredictable that time of the year. If we want a reasonable chance of good weather, we need to travel quite far away from home and we don't always feel like spending that kind of money. I don't want to visit tourist attractions during the summer, so I don't miss out on that, but I do miss out on things like local festivals and events, BBQ's and parties at friends' places etc. I work so much overtime I barely have the time and energy to do any of those things even if they're in the evenings or weekends. And for DIY projects outside taking a few days off when there's a good chance of dry weather is convenient too.

I like being off between Christmas and NYE. It's a pretty busy time at my workplace because many of our customers needs to arrange stuff before the New Year and while they know that months before, we always see an increase in orders in December. We visit family and friends during the holidays so we can spend very little time with them if we need to travel to and from their place on the same day to go to work the next morning. And there's also the petty reason of me not liking to bike to and from work in the December darkness. I'm already looking forward to the Christmas holidays! I'm off between 22 December and 1 Jan and I only have to take 3 days off. I'm going to spend that time with my family and partner, in my own home, cooking and eating nice food and drinking hot chocolate in our pyamas next to the Christmas tree.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1986 on: November 10, 2017, 06:22:14 AM »

Good luck.

rab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1987 on: November 10, 2017, 07:05:57 AM »

I like this. The power of FU money is the freedom to make the choices that benefit you the most. Sometimes that means putting up with a little crap to accomplish a larger goal, and sometimes it means flipping off your boss as you walk out the door.

Best of luck on your 2nd interview!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:08:27 AM by rab »

scottish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1988 on: November 10, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »
Interesting, I haven't seen trolls working in teams before.   Teambuilding, you say?

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1989 on: November 11, 2017, 05:20:57 AM »
   Here is a short one that will warm your heart. Longtime friend and former coworker works at megacorp. He works from home in IT but in the bizarro world of LIMS systems for pharmaceutical company. Supports a dozen or so sites around the world and is sharp as a tack, easily 3-4x the productivity of the average Joe. He makes very good 6 figure income, bonus, LTI in a LCOL area. He is 49, paid off house, completely FI and a single part time dad.
His boss dumps a metric ass load of work on him and she laughs about it. The laughing part was an error.
He says, "you know, I think I am going to just retire or go part time. I really am working too many hours now and this ass load of work you laugh about is really not funny.  I might be convinced to work a maximum of 20 hours a week with no travel, no stupid meetings, and no overtime. And I mean no overtime!"  She freaks out and is flying in next week to talk about it. My guess is he will tell her he is done and she can take her ass load of work to some other donkey or he will consult at $250-300 an hour when he feels like it. I asked him if he uses a sling to support his enormous balls. :) details to follow.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1990 on: November 11, 2017, 05:48:47 AM »
   Here is a short one that will warm your heart. Longtime friend and former coworker works at megacorp. He works from home in IT but in the bizarro world of LIMS systems for pharmaceutical company. Supports a dozen or so sites around the world and is sharp as a tack, easily 3-4x the productivity of the average Joe. He makes very good 6 figure income, bonus, LTI in a LCOL area. He is 49, paid off house, completely FI and a single part time dad.
His boss dumps a metric ass load of work on him and she laughs about it. The laughing part was an error.
He says, "you know, I think I am going to just retire or go part time. I really am working too many hours now and this ass load of work you laugh about is really not funny.  I might be convinced to work a maximum of 20 hours a week with no travel, no stupid meetings, and no overtime. And I mean no overtime!"  She freaks out and is flying in next week to talk about it. My guess is he will tell her he is done and she can take her ass load of work to some other donkey or he will consult at $250-300 an hour when he feels like it. I asked him if he uses a sling to support his enormous balls. :) details to follow.

Love this!!  Thanks!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1991 on: November 11, 2017, 06:20:33 AM »

Today in Missing The Headline:  What is LTI?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1992 on: November 11, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »

This is going to be gooood...let us know what happens!

RecoveringCarClown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1993 on: November 11, 2017, 11:11:58 AM »

Today in Missing The Headline:  What is LTI?

Long Term Incentive plan is my guess but often called LTIP.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1994 on: November 12, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
   Yes, LTI= Long term incentive, generally a stock grant that vests in 3-5 years. The ones he gets are around 15-20 k every year and they always vest in 3 years, so in theory whenever you walk out you are leaving 45-60k on the table. 100% sure that my friend "C" does not give a rats rear about that. He is the kind of guy who once he makes a decision it is about impossible to change his mind and he does not dither around for even a minute or two. Spoke to him last night and he is pretty much going to politely tell her he is done working fulltime at the end of the year at the very latest and would be willing to work 20 hrs a week at the absolute most for awhile.  ( I am also 100% sure if she gives him any crap or tries again to deposit the previously mentioned ass load of work in his lap, that will result in his becoming quite a bit more definitive in his discussion  and handing in his badge, and computer, etc on the spot.). He said that he is going to have the company paid for HD monitors, etc in his car when he goes to the meeting so if he just quits, he will not have to make another trip to the Megacorp site 20 minutes from his house. Ever! I told him I would pay good money to be a fly on the wall for that meeting. He definitely has an FU size stash/nice paid off house/car/truck/boat/big chunk of land for hunting/200k in college fund for his kid/low overhead lifestyle and no debts at all.  He is also the kind of guy who would actually say "FU".  C is not a jerk and is unfailingly polite in 99.99% of situations. Kind of thinking this may well be the 0.01% situation though.  Will let you know what happens! :)
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1995 on: November 12, 2017, 10:21:36 AM »
Statistics? More men than women in Tech.

Statistically speaking, men supported Trump and women didn't, so I think it's more likely that the person who shut down Trump's twitter feed for 11 minutes was female.  And Hispanic.  And queer.  And an overweight immigrant veteran small business owner with a belief in democracy and civil liberties.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:23:52 AM by sol »

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Warned Member
« Reply #1996 on: November 12, 2017, 12:57:07 PM »
Statistics? More men than women in Tech.

Statistically speaking, men supported Trump and women didn't, so I think it's more likely that the person who shut down Trump's twitter feed for 11 minutes was female.  And Hispanic.  And queer.  And an overweight immigrant veteran small business owner with a belief in democracy and civil liberties.
Haven't you heard? Tech companies only hire white and Asian non-citizen liberal males between the ages of 22 and 36. It's built into the hiring practices to oppress everyone else.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1997 on: November 13, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
Update: I've been told I'm getting an offer from the 2nd choice company. We will see what it looks like. No word back from the flaky recruiter, so I assume that's off the table. I do like them, so assuming I like the offer and we can make the start date work out, I'll accept.

rab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1998 on: November 13, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »
Congrats!

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1999 on: November 13, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
Update: I've been told I'm getting an offer from the 2nd choice company. We will see what it looks like. No word back from the flaky recruiter, so I assume that's off the table. I do like them, so assuming I like the offer and we can make the start date work out, I'll accept.
YES!!!! Congrats.