Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2795091 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1750 on: September 13, 2017, 09:33:24 PM »
So basically, I will see what hits the fan tomorrow...and I don't care. I have watched this person bully people for months and many feel they can't say anything because they need their job. I can because I don't. That is a pretty awesome feeling.

First of all, thanks.   Thanks for all the folks who aren't in a position to defend themselves.   
Management will tend to ignore her behavior until they can't - and you've made it visible enough that they may have to stop ignoring it.

Second, bravo for being prepared!

I try to tell folks you're just one psycho boss away from hell, so be prepared.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1751 on: September 13, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »
This may not be epic, but it sure made me feel better.

I work with a lot of awesome people, but one of the assistants to a high-level executive is just a nasty piece of work. She yells at people and just treats everyone like dirt. Shed is basically just a bully who thinks she is untouchable and acts accordingly.  She has always been particularly rude to me. I am fairly new and on probation, and I tend to be a friendly, easygoing person so I think she sees me as an easy target.

Back in July, she called me and went off about something stupid. I held my peace, but I  told my boss that she would never, ever speak to me like that again. I am not sure if something was said to her, but she has been semi-pleasant for the past few weeks. Last week, she was back at it and reduced our office assistant to tears. Today, while I was in another area working, she came into our office area, slammed the door as hard as she could and demanded to see me. Since I wasn't available she demanded to see my supervisor and threw a fit because she didn't like how I added something to MY  calendar (apparently blocking off the day for a full day meeting is JUST.NOT.DONE) and then just lied about another perceived infractions. My supervisor basically laughed in her face. She seriously caused a huge scene about a calendar entry.

When I heard about this, I walked down to her office and told her off in a very professional way. She said she had never felt so disrespected in her life, and I told her that she now has taste of what everyone else feels like they deal with her and told her she had better not lie about me again and to never, ever speak to me with an attitude.

When I walked back to my office, I told my supervisor what I had done and to expect her to file a complaint against me tomorrow. I told her (direct quote), "I may be a bitch, but I'm not her bitch" and walked out the door.

So basically, I will see what hits the fan tomorrow...and I don't care. I have watched this person bully people for months and many feel they can't say anything because they need their job. I can because I don't. That is a pretty awesome feeling.

Um, this is epic. Come on, it ends with you saying to your boss, "I may be a bitch, but I'm not her bitch," dropping the mic, and walking the fuck out! I LOVE IT.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1752 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:12 PM »
When I walked back to my office, I told my supervisor what I had done and to expect her to file a complaint against me tomorrow. I told her (direct quote), "I may be a bitch, but I'm not her bitch" and walked out the door.

BADASS!

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #1753 on: September 13, 2017, 11:48:47 PM »
...I tend to be a friendly, easygoing person so I think she sees me as an easy target.

Yep.  That's what they do. 

A few years ago, I was assigned to work with (but not for) a fellow known for yelling at people.  Knowing his reputation, I decided that if he ever came into my office and gave me shit, I was going to stand up and tell him to get the hell out.  Sadly, we were reassigned just a month or two later, and I never got to use my line:(

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1754 on: September 14, 2017, 01:22:44 AM »

I work with a lot of awesome people, but one of the assistants to a high-level executive is just a nasty piece of work. She yells at people and just treats everyone like dirt. Shed is basically just a bully who thinks she is untouchable and acts accordingly.  She has always been particularly rude to me. I am fairly new and on probation, and I tend to be a friendly, easygoing person so I think she sees me as an easy target.

Back in July, she called me and went off about something stupid. I held my peace, but I  told my boss that she would never, ever speak to me like that again. I am not sure if something was said to her, but she has been semi-pleasant for the past few weeks. Last week, she was back at it and reduced our office assistant to tears. Today, while I was in another area working, she came into our office area, slammed the door as hard as she could and demanded to see me. Since I wasn't available she demanded to see my supervisor and threw a fit because she didn't like how I added something to MY  calendar (apparently blocking off the day for a full day meeting is JUST.NOT.DONE) and then just lied about another perceived infractions. My supervisor basically laughed in her face. She seriously caused a huge scene about a calendar entry.

When I heard about this, I walked down to her office and told her off in a very professional way. She said she had never felt so disrespected in her life, and I told her that she now has taste of what everyone else feels like they deal with her and told her she had better not lie about me again and to never, ever speak to me with an attitude.

You're awesome.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1755 on: September 14, 2017, 03:51:23 AM »
Pleeeeeaaaase update us on how she reacts. That was mega!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1756 on: September 14, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
Wow, nice. Also looking forward to the update.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1757 on: September 14, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
I take the last Friday of every month off. It's amazing what 12 additional three day weekends will do for your mindset. They said unlimited...

That's a good idea, I might just adopt that.  I might also try to bail out early the other 3 fridays also.

2 one-week vacations = 10 days
12 month ending fridays = 12 days
40 other fridays (leave 2 hours early) = 10 days

for a total of 32 days.  That might be pushing it a little.  I'll see if I can get my work done with these new vacation days.  I could always make up extra time during the week if we are busy so I won't actually be taking more vacation, just time shifting the last 2 hours of my friday earlier into the week.
I'm assuming you get holidays and sick time too?

I get 34 days of PTO a year, so if you are talking 32 days only, I'm not impressed.   If you add 9 holidays and 5 sick days, now we are talking.

Add 9 holidays and 7 sick days to those figures.   Also add 15 days for paternity leave this year (though this will not be a recurring leave for me).
Much better.  I interviewed at a company whose starting PTO was 19 days...sick, holiday, and vacation ... and they couldn't understand why they were unable to attract talent, especially people with experience.

crispy

« Reply #1758 on: September 14, 2017, 12:23:38 PM »
Well, nothing has been said by her at all.  My supervisor did let me know she has my back if she wants to start something and the few coworkers who have heard about it have high-fived me.    Our big director is out of the office today so it is possible that there could be some repercussions on that end although I suspect the big director will not be inclined to do much because I know she has been on the receiving end of her wrath, too. I have been in a great mood all day.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1759 on: September 14, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »
Good job!  My favorite uses of FU money are the ones that benefit others, so bravo to that!

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #1760 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »
Well, nothing has been said by her at all.  My supervisor did let me know she has my back if she wants to start something and the few coworkers who have heard about it have high-fived me.    Our big director is out of the office today so it is possible that there could be some repercussions on that end although I suspect the big director will not be inclined to do much because I know she has been on the receiving end of her wrath, too. I have been in a great mood all day.

You're the office hero!!  I bet there were so many other people who wanted to tell her off for ages, but didn't.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #1761 on: September 14, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
We work a so-called 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off (in exchange for working 9 hour days). However, I have enough vacation time to take off all the working Friday's until my FIRE date next year. So basically I'm just working 4 day weeks from here on out. Sweet.

Well planned! Will be a nice, smooth sailing up until FIRE.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1762 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:48 PM »

Back in July, she called me and went off about something stupid. I held my peace, but I  told my boss that she would never, ever speak to me like that again. I am not sure if something was said to her, but she has been semi-pleasant for the past few weeks. Last week, she was back at it and reduced our office assistant to tears. Today, while I was in another area working, she came into our office area, slammed the door as hard as she could and demanded to see me. Since I wasn't available she demanded to see my supervisor and threw a fit because she didn't like how I added something to MY  calendar (apparently blocking off the day for a full day meeting is JUST.NOT.DONE) and then just lied about another perceived infractions. My supervisor basically laughed in her face.she seriously caused a huge scene about a calendar entry.

Bravo for you.  We have an executive assistant that is similar at my company.  We call her "Barbzilla".  Hopefully, everything will work out for the best!

Office nicknames for the awful are the best. We had an incompetent and particularly nasty accountant once who earned the nickname "SheDemon." But of course, everyone pronounced it Shed-eh-mon . . . it was a great inside joke.

Well done, crispy. She flipped out about how you had saved something on your calendar? That's in seriously cray-cray land.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1763 on: September 14, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »
Way to cream her, crispy!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1764 on: September 15, 2017, 04:10:06 AM »

If I work at the same place as you, I would be buying you lunch for this! This is soo epic!

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #1765 on: September 15, 2017, 07:11:14 AM »
That was perfection. Well done with the office bully.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1766 on: September 15, 2017, 08:39:28 AM »
She said she had never felt so disrespected in her life, and I told her that she now has taste of what everyone else feels like they deal with her...

It could be that this is the first time she ever saw her behavior through another person's eyes.  You might be the catalyst that makes her change the way she treats people for the better.  If not, you have likely been the first chink in the wall that will eventually come crumbling down around her. 

Good for you!

jrbrokerr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1767 on: September 15, 2017, 12:19:22 PM »

Back in July, she called me and went off about something stupid. I held my peace, but I  told my boss that she would never, ever speak to me like that again. I am not sure if something was said to her, but she has been semi-pleasant for the past few weeks. Last week, she was back at it and reduced our office assistant to tears. Today, while I was in another area working, she came into our office area, slammed the door as hard as she could and demanded to see me. Since I wasn't available she demanded to see my supervisor and threw a fit because she didn't like how I added something to MY  calendar (apparently blocking off the day for a full day meeting is JUST.NOT.DONE) and then just lied about another perceived infractions. My supervisor basically laughed in her face.she seriously caused a huge scene about a calendar entry.

Bravo for you.  We have an executive assistant that is similar at my company.  We call her "Barbzilla".  Hopefully, everything will work out for the best!

Good for you and for your colleagues!! I know your feeling because I have used FU money in a similar way by challenging ass*** managers who think they are the corporate Gods. People in my team also view me as a hero and just don´t understand why I am always so careless of the consequences of my attitude.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1768 on: September 15, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »

Totally epic.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1769 on: September 20, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »

Totally epic.
Need update.  Quick, quick!  This type of epic FU gives me hope!

crispy

« Reply #1770 on: September 20, 2017, 09:25:17 PM »

Totally epic.
Need update.  Quick, quick!  This type of epic FU gives me hope!

Two little updates - My director heard what happened and said not to worry about it because she trusts that I was professional and shared some of the crap she has had to put up with from her. About three hours later, the director came in smiling and shared that executive assistant was rude to her so she promptly put her in her place. Executive assistant then called and apologized to her (this event happened in front of a high level person so I think she was forced). I think I started a mini-revolution.

On a great note, this week the auditors from the group that regulates/accredits us showed up. The area I work in was slammed and had a lot of findings during the last audit which was before I started. I have spent the ten months I have worked here preparing for this and cleaning up the mess that was left. I am the only person that does my particular job so if we get findings in that area, it falls on my head. My area (and the department that my area falls under) received no findings at all which has never happened before. We are the only department that didn't get some finding so we are basically the shining stars right now.

That was why I was so annoyed last week...I have been busting my tail off to get prepared for this audit because we didn't know when they would show up (they give you a three month time frame but no specific dates...they just show up) and she is acting like a damn fool over an Outlook calendar entry. On a funnier note, the auditor I worked with today was complaining that he didn't get lunch yesterday...guess who was responsible for ordering food?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:28:52 PM by crispy »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1771 on: September 20, 2017, 09:47:20 PM »
I think I started a mini-revolution.

Go crispy, you epic badass.  :) Thanks for the story and update!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1772 on: September 21, 2017, 02:03:34 AM »
Amazing! Such congratulations!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1773 on: September 21, 2017, 05:48:33 AM »
That's awesome, crispy, good for you!

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #1774 on: September 21, 2017, 07:28:29 AM »
That's super badass!  I once had a similar executive assistant whom we nicknamed elizabitch.  Either toxic or sweet as pie, and very sneaky once you were on her bad side.  Kudos to you!!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1775 on: September 21, 2017, 08:19:20 AM »
That was why I was so annoyed last week...I have been busting my tail off to get prepared for this audit because we didn't know when they would show up (they give you a three month time frame but no specific dates...they just show up) and she is acting like a damn fool over an Outlook calendar entry. On a funnier note, the auditor I worked with today was complaining that he didn't get lunch yesterday...guess who was responsible for ordering food?

I'm an auditor, and I deal with external auditors as well. Escalate this. Seriously. If you promise me food, and don't provide it, you make me crabby. Trust me, you do NOT want to make your auditor crabby. I can make your life so much harder. I can decide to write the finding when it could go either way. There can be serious consequences to pissing off your auditors, and you do not know these people. This one person could significantly hurt the company by pulling those types of stunts.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #1776 on: September 21, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »

I'm an auditor, and I deal with external auditors as well. Escalate this. Seriously. If you promise me food, and don't provide it, you make me crabby. Trust me, you do NOT want to make your auditor crabby. I can make your life so much harder. I can decide to write the finding when it could go either way. There can be serious consequences to pissing off your auditors, and you do not know these people. This one person could significantly hurt the company by pulling those types of stunts.

One of our problems in this world: People can be petty.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1777 on: September 21, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »

So now I am in a pickle. I decided to stand up for the disabled rights. I could have just taken the punishment, not gone to HR, and ended up getting laid off, but now it seems I have turned things around with my d**k managers (after HR probably scared them) and now I may not have grounds to go to HR and ask for a buyout package. And after managers are now being nice to me, I may feel obligated to continue on for a while.

But I really want to FIRE...and do it with a package.

...Or at least they are just scared of lawyers getting involved.

Maybe they're still scared, and they'd be willing to arrange a package if asked?  After all, the managers got better, but they should have been properly trained in the first place, the company is still at fault. If HR has any wiggle room to arrange a package, whether due to these incidents or other grounds, perhaps they would still do it.  Especially if you're up front that the managers improved, and you appreciate that HR did a good job fixing it, you're "asking only for whatever is actually within their professional discretion to arrange" or some such?

Good luck pulling the ripcord in any case.

This may or may not have worked...that's all I am saying.

BTW, I am FIRE'ing on 9/29!

Another epic FU story win!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1778 on: September 21, 2017, 08:24:55 PM »
Non-disclosure agreement, perhaps?   I know, you can't say.   But that doesn't mean we can't guess!

Well played, Daisy.    Looking forward to welcoming you to FIREdom.

I would never corroborate such a crazy suggestion.

But I do welcome guesses. But I am not going to confirm or deny anything.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1779 on: September 21, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »

So now I am in a pickle. I decided to stand up for the disabled rights. I could have just taken the punishment, not gone to HR, and ended up getting laid off, but now it seems I have turned things around with my d**k managers (after HR probably scared them) and now I may not have grounds to go to HR and ask for a buyout package. And after managers are now being nice to me, I may feel obligated to continue on for a while.

But I really want to FIRE...and do it with a package.

...Or at least they are just scared of lawyers getting involved.

Maybe they're still scared, and they'd be willing to arrange a package if asked?  After all, the managers got better, but they should have been properly trained in the first place, the company is still at fault. If HR has any wiggle room to arrange a package, whether due to these incidents or other grounds, perhaps they would still do it.  Especially if you're up front that the managers improved, and you appreciate that HR did a good job fixing it, you're "asking only for whatever is actually within their professional discretion to arrange" or some such?

Good luck pulling the ripcord in any case.

This may or may not have worked...that's all I am saying.

BTW, I am FIRE'ing on 9/29!

Another epic FU story win!

We may or may not be thrilled for you.  :) Go, Daisy!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1780 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:16 AM »
I'm gonna say it: I'm definitely thrilled.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1781 on: September 22, 2017, 07:29:38 AM »
Glad to hear it Daisy!  Well deserved! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1782 on: September 22, 2017, 07:39:44 AM »
I take the last Friday of every month off. It's amazing what 12 additional three day weekends will do for your mindset. They said unlimited...

That's a good idea, I might just adopt that.  I might also try to bail out early the other 3 fridays also.

for a total of 32 days.  That might be pushing it a little.  I'll see if I can get my work done with these new vacation days.  I could always make up extra time during the week if we are busy so I won't actually be taking more vacation, just time shifting the last 2 hours of my friday earlier into the week.

My wife was in a car accident on saturday and the car is totalled, so we've been dealing with insurance and replacing her car all week.  I've only been at work 16 hours so far this week, and half of that has been spent either dealing with the insurance or researching replacement cars.  Not sure exactly how I'm going to record this on my time sheets, but my bosses aren't giving me any shit about it yet. I'm still taking 3 weeks paternity in 2-4 weeks.

EDIT: I accidentally a sentence.  And yes her and the baby are fine. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:23:15 AM by frugalnacho »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1783 on: September 22, 2017, 08:06:26 AM »
Yikes! Hope she and the baby are okay, FN!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #1784 on: September 22, 2017, 08:33:51 AM »

The problem is that people can be influenced by things subconsciously.  An adult relative will start getting really argumentative and upset with everyone whenever he is short on sleep.
"[Relative], you're tired!  Stop arguing with people and go take a nap!"
"I'm not tired!  You're just wrong about [some stupid thing]!"
...but then he's back to normal once he's had a nap.

At OldJob, we always made a point of feeding the external auditors well and giving them as much decent coffee as they wanted.

Daisy, congratulations on whatever you may or may not have arranged or negotiated!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1785 on: September 22, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »

I think you accidentallied a word now, too.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1786 on: September 22, 2017, 09:01:19 AM »

I think you accidentallied a word now, too.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1787 on: September 22, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1788 on: September 22, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »
You guys are hill airy ass.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1789 on: September 22, 2017, 09:43:10 AM »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1790 on: September 22, 2017, 09:57:35 AM »

The problem is that people can be influenced by things subconsciously.  An adult relative will start getting really argumentative and upset with everyone whenever he is short on sleep.

At OldJob, we always made a point of feeding the external auditors well and giving them as much decent coffee as they wanted.

Daisy, congratulations on whatever you may or may not have arranged or negotiated!

With the auditors/examiners/whomever, it is a fine line. Take care of them with good coffee, a big room, be very friendly, do what you say you're going to do when you say you're going to do it, etc. But you don't want them to be too comfortable--don't give them the best chairs, try to keep them in a room without a window--things that will subconsciously make them want to get out of there, but aren't blatant.

I saw some analysis, the longer time that an auditor (broad term there) spent at a place, the more issues that were written up. The biggest predictor that an auditor would spend more time in a place? The location itself. For instance, a pharmaceutical plant in Nebraska has less scrutiny than one in San Diego or Chicago. Nobody from the FDA wants to hang out in Lincoln Nebraska; they want to get in and get out. But if they're in Chicago or San Diego (or insert place with reasonable tourism), then they'll extend their trip and find reasons to stay a little longer. "Yeah, I think I'll have to wrap this up on Tuesday instead of Friday; I'll have to stay the weekend--might as well take a trip to Tijuana!"

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1791 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:22 AM »

My wife was in a car accident on saturday and the car is totalled, so we've been dealing with insurance and replacing her car all week.  I've only been at work 16 hours so far this week, and half of that has been spent either dealing with the insurance or researching replacement cars.  Not sure exactly how I'm going to record this on my time sheets, but my bosses aren't giving me any shit about it yet. I'm still taking 3 weeks paternity in 2-4 weeks.

I'm glad wife and baby are okay, and that work is being understanding, so far.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1792 on: September 22, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »

With the auditors/examiners/whomever, it is a fine line. Take care of them with good coffee, a big room, be very friendly, do what you say you're going to do when you say you're going to do it, etc. But you don't want them to be too comfortable--don't give them the best chairs, try to keep them in a room without a window--things that will subconsciously make them want to get out of there, but aren't blatant.

I saw some analysis, the longer time that an auditor (broad term there) spent at a place, the more issues that were written up. The biggest predictor that an auditor would spend more time in a place? The location itself. For instance, a pharmaceutical plant in Nebraska has less scrutiny than one in San Diego or Chicago. Nobody from the FDA wants to hang out in Lincoln Nebraska; they want to get in and get out. But if they're in Chicago or San Diego (or insert place with reasonable tourism), then they'll extend their trip and find reasons to stay a little longer. "Yeah, I think I'll have to wrap this up on Tuesday instead of Friday; I'll have to stay the weekend--might as well take a trip to Tijuana!"

From experience:
Yes and no, and it entirely depends on the auditor. Some of them really want to go home, so they don't care about the location (I am one of those). Others will try to extend the time in nicer areas. I'm a weirdo, so overall the ones that will try to stay longer in the nice areas outnumber those like me. I want the decent setup, but I also want all the documents, right, organized, on time (early is good). Just so I can go home.

However, I freely admit that I have crabby tendencies. (Which sometimes show up online.) And I hate traveling for work. Not really a people person either.

GettingClose

• Stubble
« Reply #1793 on: September 22, 2017, 05:03:29 PM »
This isn't exactly an FU money story, but several months ago our CEO told me that they had "squeezed out" a $5k raise for me.  This would have put me into the position where I was earning just a bit more than 3x the salary of the newest person on my team.

My husband and I have a good annual income (probably 8x what we actually spend, not counting taxes), no debt, and savings such that he is just on point of FIREing.   $5000 * 60% (amount after taxes) is going to make basically no difference at all.  Told the CEO to gave the raise to New Guy instead.  It felt great, and still feels great, especially since no one else knows about it.

Even 5 years ago this would have been inconceivable.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1794 on: September 22, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »
This isn't exactly an FU money story, but several months ago our CEO told me that they had "squeezed out" a $5k raise for me.  This would have put me into the position where I was earning just a bit more than 3x the salary of the newest person on my team.

My husband and I have a good annual income (probably 8x what we actually spend, not counting taxes), no debt, and savings such that he is just on point of FIREing.   $5000 * 60% (amount after taxes) is going to make basically no difference at all.  Told the CEO to gave the raise to New Guy instead.  It felt great, and still feels great, especially since no one else knows about it.

Wow. That is incredibly generous of you.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1795 on: September 22, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »

Yeah for you!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1796 on: September 22, 2017, 07:20:52 PM »
....they "squeezed out" a $5k raise for me.   ......
that phrase reminds me of a biological function.   see also " Don't step in the management" Dilbert book.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1797 on: September 22, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »

Surely you jest.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1798 on: September 22, 2017, 09:44:20 PM »

Surely you jest.

Not at all!

You stood up and said something when people were treating you unfairly due to the disability, doing the right thing not only for yourself, but anyone else who might be at that company presently or later.

You got a buy out for it, which is deserved, and that put you over the top to FIRE with your savings, which you had earned and deserved. Thus FIRE.  Well done!  :)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1799 on: September 22, 2017, 09:59:21 PM »

Surely you jest.

Not at all!

You stood up and said something when people were treating you unfairly due to the disability, doing the right thing not only for yourself, but anyone else who might be at that company presently or later.

You got a buy out for it, which is deserved, and that put you over the top to FIRE with your savings, which you had earned and deserved. Thus FIRE.  Well done!  :)

I will neither confirm nor deny any of the details of your post.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:05:36 PM by Daisy »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!