Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 714135 times)

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1050 on: March 16, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »
Can someone tell me how to add a picture?  I have an epic story that you'd have to see to believe...

Ah, there it is.  Sorry for the vulgarity!

This was her response to me telling her that if she doesn't want people quitting all the time, she should try not being so rude.  She apparently didn't get the message!  Thank God for FU money!
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1051 on: March 16, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »
Can someone tell me how to add a picture?  I have an epic story that you'd have to see to believe...

This was her response to me telling her that if she doesn't want people quitting all the time, she should try not being so rude.  She apparently didn't get the message!  Thank God for FU money!

Oh boy. More juicy backstory? What kinds of things was she doing that made people quit all the time?
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

Mr. Green

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: March 16, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »

Not hard to see why people don't want to work for that person. Holy crap!
FIRE, Take Two.

Vertical Mode

• Bristles
« Reply #1053 on: March 16, 2016, 12:16:32 PM »

Wow, that's terrible. Good thing you got out of there. I'd say that effectively proved your point, too, but I bet the irony was lost on her.
"That is why you will never be a good detective, Cato. It's so obvious, it cannot POSSIBLY be a trap..."

Link to my Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/trending-vertical-vertical-modes-journal/

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1054 on: March 16, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »

Oh boy. More juicy backstory? What kinds of things was she doing that made people quit all the time?

Docking our pay for ridiculous reasons, expecting us to do way too much for free, trash talking about clients and other coworkers.  Not appreciating us. Unfortunately I really liked the job - but not enough to put up with her.
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1055 on: March 16, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »

Docking our pay for ridiculous reasons, expecting us to do way too much for free, trash talking about clients and other coworkers.  Not appreciating us. Unfortunately I really liked the job - but not enough to put up with her.

Check your local laws. This may not be legal. If it is, then she can get what's coming to her and you get the money you should have had... all while you sip something cold on a beach somewhere.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1056 on: March 16, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »

Wow, that's terrible. Good thing you got out of there. I'd say that effectively proved your point, too, but I bet the irony was lost on her.

It totally was!  Lol
Unfortunately I signed a non compete contract with her.  Does anyone know how enforceable those are?  I can't help but think sending that text to her client list would sway their impression of her. 
This was my post FIRE gig.  I started 6 months ago but I was her longest employee.  I got tired of training new people and thought I'd make a few suggestions.  It was just fun money for me but I felt I had to say something for the other workers and couldn't stand bending my principles anymore.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:25:29 PM by Cannot Wait! »

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1057 on: March 16, 2016, 01:04:25 PM »
I attached it.  Maybe it just doesn't show up in the preview?
Wait! She called you a "C" You Next Tuesday? She must have been looking in a mirror and gotten confused. Wow, just wow!
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Vertical Mode

• Bristles
« Reply #1058 on: March 16, 2016, 01:11:01 PM »
Wait! She called you a "C" You Next Tuesday? She must have been looking in a mirror and gotten confused. Wow, just wow!

Using that word is one of the fastest ways to take all of the air out of a room.

I also noticed the time stamps on those texts...why was your boss texting you after 9PM? Was that also a regular occurrence?
"That is why you will never be a good detective, Cato. It's so obvious, it cannot POSSIBLY be a trap..."

Link to my Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/trending-vertical-vertical-modes-journal/

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #1059 on: March 16, 2016, 01:44:50 PM »

Check your local laws. This may not be legal. If it is, then she can get what's coming to her and you get the money you should have had... all while you sip something cold on a beach somewhere.

Given the Telus header on that phone, I'd say that Cannot Wait! is in Canada. It's pretty much illegal across the whole country for a worker to have their pay docked. Specifically this from the federal labour law section of the website below. Provincial laws may add more restrictions, but this sets the baseline:

Deductions resulting from a loss of your employer's property or money are not allowed unless you were the only employee to have access to that property or money.

The boss is lucky none of her ex-employees have brought that up with a provincial labour board.

Here's info on the rules in all provinces in Canada:
http://workershelp.ca/wages.asp

ringer707

• Stubble
« Reply #1060 on: March 16, 2016, 01:54:51 PM »

It totally was!  Lol
Unnfortunately I signed a non compete contract with her.  Does anyone know how enforceable those are?  I can't help but think sending that text to her client list would sway their impression of her. 
This was my post FIRE gig.  I started 6 months ago but I was her longest employee.  I got tired of training new people and thought I'd make a few suggestions.  It was just fun money for me but I felt I had to say something for the other workers and couldn't stand bending my principles anymore.

As to the non compete, it generally all depends on the state you live and how the non compete is worded. A lot of overly broad non competes are considered unenforceable, but it just depends on the language. For example, if your non compete says you can't work in XYZ field anywhere for the next 5 years, it's probably not going to be enforceable. If it says you can't work in XYZ field in your metro area for the next year, it will likely be enforceable. Of course, the enforceability of this would be determined most likely by a lawsuit.

Mr. Green

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1061 on: March 16, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »

Using that word is one of the fastest ways to take all of the air out of a room.

I also noticed the time stamps on those texts...why was your boss texting you after 9PM? Was that also a regular occurrence?
This depends on where you live. In England it's used on the regular, like we use the F-bomb in the US. I see the C-word and the new F-bomb for us Americans. Used to be saying "fuck" would take all the air out of the room.
FIRE, Take Two.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: March 16, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
We're in the midst of one.  Our daughter has a disability for which she requires an accommodation in order to participate in a specific school situation. The school district is refusing to provide her with that accommodation and instead is trying to bribe us to go away by offering us $20k to sign a document agreeing to waive her rights to participate in that specific school activity.  We told them to take their offer and shove it (politely, of coarse).  They even had their district physician call her doctor and try to get him to talk us into accepting their offer.  Of coarse, this offer was made verbally and they never gave us the document, so they will just lie and say it never happened.  If we were given the document, I would pass it on to the Office of Civil Rights.  They're still not giving her the accommodation that she needs, but regardless, I will never have to look my daughter in the eye and say she can't do x activity like all her friends because we are paid for her not to.

Just curious - can you be more specific?  The reason I ask is that I volunteer at a school and there is an incredible amount of requests for "accommodation" some needed - others just make me blink in astonishment.  One-on-one requests for kids who only disability is that they are figgin' lazy.

Or on the other extreme pushing the school to have a kid go skiing who regularly falls out of his chair and can barely shuffle down the hallway unaided.  They would have to strap him in the chair lift and I have no idea how he would get down the bunny slope.   There are groups such as Ski-for-all that have the staff, training, and skill for something like this, but it is way outside the norm for a public school that can't even get the full amount of supplies for teachers' classrooms.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1063 on: March 16, 2016, 03:23:04 PM »

It totally was!  Lol
Unnfortunately I signed a non compete contract with her.  Does anyone know how enforceable those are?  I can't help but think sending that text to her client list would sway their impression of her. 

Not sure outside the US but generally in the US noncompetes are unenforecable if you aren't an executive.  Noncom in return for $1M of stock grants?  Probably enforceable.  Noncom for a $50k/yr job?  Unenforceable.  Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living.

IANAL, etc.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

green daisy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1064 on: March 16, 2016, 04:00:34 PM »
We're in the midst of one.  Our daughter has a disability for which she requires an accommodation in order to participate in a specific school situation. The school district is refusing to provide her with that accommodation and instead is trying to bribe us to go away by offering us $20k to sign a document agreeing to waive her rights to participate in that specific school activity.  We told them to take their offer and shove it (politely, of coarse).  They even had their district physician call her doctor and try to get him to talk us into accepting their offer.  Of coarse, this offer was made verbally and they never gave us the document, so they will just lie and say it never happened.  If we were given the document, I would pass it on to the Office of Civil Rights.  They're still not giving her the accommodation that she needs, but regardless, I will never have to look my daughter in the eye and say she can't do x activity like all her friends because we are paid for her not to.

Just curious - can you be more specific?  The reason I ask is that I volunteer at a school and there is an incredible amount of requests for "accommodation" some needed - others just make me blink in astonishment.  One-on-one requests for kids who only disability is that they are figgin' lazy.

Or on the other extreme pushing the school to have a kid go skiing who regularly falls out of his chair and can barely shuffle down the hallway unaided.  They would have to strap him in the chair lift and I have no idea how he would get down the bunny slope.   There are groups such as Ski-for-all that have the staff, training, and skill for something like this, but it is way outside the norm for a public school that can't even get the full amount of supplies for teachers' classrooms.

Northwestie- will send you a pm. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1065 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »

Not sure outside the US but generally in the US noncompetes are unenforecable if you aren't an executive.  Noncom in return for $1M of stock grants?  Probably enforceable.  Noncom for a $50k/yr job?  Unenforceable.  Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living.

IANAL, etc.

Whoa, hold on there.  Cannot Wait!, if you are looking for guidance on non-compete law, you really need to consult an attorney familiar with your state's (or other country?) laws because the laws vary greatly by state.  Many states won't dishonor an entire non-compete just because a portion is unenforceable, but will actually "blue pencil" the clause to put greater limits to turn it into an enforceable clause.  The examples that Chris22 wrote, while well-intentioned, represents a pretty common misconception/over-generalization about this area of law.  Although, he is correct on this part: "Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living."  Definitely consult an attorney if this is an issue you want to understand accurately for your situation.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:24:06 PM by LeRainDrop »

RedmondStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1066 on: March 16, 2016, 07:23:01 PM »

IANAL, etc.

Whoa, hold on there.  Cannot Wait!, if you are looking for guidance on non-compete law, you really need to consult an attorney familiar with your state's (or other country?) laws because the laws vary greatly by state.  Many states won't dishonor an entire non-compete just because a portion is unenforceable, but will actually "blue pencil" the clause to put greater limits to turn it into an enforceable clause.  The examples that Chris22 wrote, while well-intentioned, represents a pretty common misconception/over-generalization about this area of law.  Although, he is correct on this part: "Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living."  Definitely consult an attorney if this is an issue you want to understand accurately for your situation.

Yeah, definitely check with an attorney.

Alternatively -- if that was your private phone that text conversation happened on, you could strike a deal with her: she signs away your noncompete clause, and you agree not to share that text exchange with her clients. You actually have leverage because of her bad behavior.

Just a thought.

Good luck. And good for you for getting out of there! FU money is the best. :)

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1067 on: March 16, 2016, 07:42:10 PM »

As a parent of a kid in the bottom 20% for processing speed (but also qualified for the gifted program) I.just.can't.even with your statement about laziness.  It looks a whole lot like laziness - it's not.  I have a wonderful video for you if you liked to learn more about learning disabilities. 

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1068 on: March 17, 2016, 08:21:17 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.
One of the greatest things about being FIREd is the ability to walk away from nasty and negative situations.
:)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1069 on: March 17, 2016, 08:33:20 AM »

"People don't leave jobs - they leave managers."

So true!!

modulus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1070 on: March 17, 2016, 09:37:23 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/adam-laroche-retires-told-not-to-bring-son-to-clubhouse-2016-3

Relevant to this thread, White Sox player says "I quit" when told he can't bring his 14 year old son to practice and games as often. He must have had some sort of home-schooling arrangement in order for the son to be around the ballpark so much.

brett44ss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1071 on: March 18, 2016, 05:06:15 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/adam-laroche-retires-told-not-to-bring-son-to-clubhouse-2016-3

Relevant to this thread, White Sox player says "I quit" when told he can't bring his 14 year old son to practice and games as often. He must have had some sort of home-schooling arrangement in order for the son to be around the ballpark so much.
I am a Nationals fan (team LaRoche played for a number of years) and heard about this on local radio. My first reaction was "Good for him!"

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1072 on: March 18, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »

That type of belittling and that type of language describing what she (or he) thinks of the other person is not only vulgar, but disgusting.
I love being outside.

frugalecon

• Bristles
« Reply #1073 on: March 29, 2016, 07:44:41 PM »

I am a Nationals fan (team LaRoche played for a number of years) and heard about this on local radio. My first reaction was "Good for him!"

Strange, my first reaction was, "Imagine what a mess it would be if all ball players insisted on bringing their minor children to the park for every game." Also, "hmmm, management is less accommodating to a .207 hitter (2015) than a .259 hitter (2014).

azure975

• Stubble
« Reply #1074 on: April 02, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »
So close to exercising the FU option right now. It'll agitate me too much to go into details right now but am just so glad to have the option.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1075 on: April 02, 2016, 04:04:40 PM »
Azure975, don't tell us the details...tell us an imaginary tale of how you see your Epic FU fantasy playing out?  That could be fun.

MissNancyPryor

• Stubble
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #1076 on: April 12, 2016, 04:22:08 PM »
following!

RedmondStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1077 on: April 12, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
So close to exercising the FU option right now. It'll agitate me too much to go into details right now but am just so glad to have the option.

Word. I've been right on the edge for the past several weeks. And this is in a job I loved right up until it got political and someone started messing with my work.

Knowing I have FU money gives me such peace of mind. I'm still hoping there's a resolution I like to the issues I'm facing right now, but if there isn't -- hey, summer's coming, and there's plenty of time to look for work in the fall.

Good luck, Azure975.

MissNancyPryor

• Stubble
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #1078 on: April 12, 2016, 10:01:45 PM »
More of a mini revenge story....  unintentional at the time but I see now it worked out like it was supposed to.  My manager at my first post-graduation job refused to rate me or anyone highly on performance reviews.  He said he NEVER gave his employees an 'exceeds' rating because that would mean he hadn't challenged them enough.  Well neato for him, how nice to never have to differentiate his employees' skill or effort--just call them all the same and say "it is not you, it is me" which is bullshit and just effing lazy. 

He was not a great manager for other reasons, didn't follow through, did a lot of talking but no action, lacked vision.  Eventually he was downsized out of his role and had to pound the pavement for a new gig.  Strangely, he put me down as a reference (perhaps because he hired me for my first engineering job and figured I was grateful).  I did get a call from one of his interviews and simply repeated things he had told me about himself, specifically that he prided himself on being a "Fire-Ready-Aim" kind of gee-golly-go-getter-awesome-stud.  How he didn't like to plan and never wanted agendas for his meetings.  How he wouldn't rate employees higher than meeting job expectations.  Well, he didn't get the job. 

He called me and asked WTF had I innocently said I had no idea what I could have possibly said.  At the time it was genuine surprise on my part, I was really green at the politics BS part of job searches and such, but many years later I realize that his karma was working quite well indeed.  He was not a good manager but rather liked to swagger around like cock of the walk and liked the title.  It bit him in the shorts when he trusted a noob (me) with his future, no doubt because the seasoned engineers would have called him out on not following through.  Nope, I can see clearly now that he expected me to suck him off as a thank you for his hiring me, but in fact he got screwed because he ran his mouth off and was a shitty manager.  In the end he did find a job but had to move 2 states away.  I do wish him well and learned what not to do as a leader; I think he learned what not to do, too.       

azure975

• Stubble
« Reply #1079 on: April 12, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »

Word. I've been right on the edge for the past several weeks. And this is in a job I loved right up until it got political and someone started messing with my work.

Knowing I have FU money gives me such peace of mind. I'm still hoping there's a resolution I like to the issues I'm facing right now, but if there isn't -- hey, summer's coming, and there's plenty of time to look for work in the fall.

Good luck, Azure975.

Thanks! An update on my situation--I've just been keeping my head down and working on finishing up a project which will end at the end of this month. Then I plan to approach my boss and tell her that I will be moving on over the summer. I have been wanting to take a "mini-retirement" for a long time and this seems like the right time. Hopefully I won't chicken out!

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #1080 on: April 12, 2016, 10:52:36 PM »
Thanks! An update on my situation--I've just been keeping my head down and working on finishing up a project which will end at the end of this month. Then I plan to approach my boss and tell her that I will be moving on over the summer. I have been wanting to take a "mini-retirement" for a long time and this seems like the right time. Hopefully I won't chicken out!
Go for it, azure975!

I just might do the same...

RedmondStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1081 on: April 15, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »

Excellent! Spouse & I tried a mini-retirement a couple of years back, and it was really fantastic. So relaxing. We realized based on our spending that we weren't quite at the FI stage yet, but I'm so glad we took retirement for a test-drive. Enjoy yours!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1082 on: April 18, 2016, 06:19:11 AM »
posting to follow.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1083 on: April 23, 2016, 12:11:55 AM »
All caught up. May I have some more stories please?
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1084 on: April 23, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »
After several months at my new job, my boss/owner brought up the idea of us partnering and expanding the business. I took a month to think and eventually decided it could be a great idea and we proceeded. After I had started bringing ideas to action, handling large portions of the shared work, and getting in the mental state of being a co-owner, my "boss" decided she didn't want to partner. I believe it's because she realized she would have to make less for a while as the business grew, as well as work with someone who she'd have to treat as an equal.

She decided she wanted me to be her "assistant" instead. Which meant still doing the extra work I was doing as well as being her go-to person for every issue and complaint. Basically reduced to her peon while she gladly referred to me as her assistant and giddily proclaimed me as such to business contacts and other employees.

My boss who i do respect as she's a kind, good-hearted person, is a poor communicator and business owner. The type who can't handle stress or make a decision without panicking. The type who doesn't respect your personal time and sucks your energy talking about all their problems, both personal and business related.

It was just a few years ago that I started saving FU money and working towards FIRE. It has allowed me to give two weeks notice and pursue two much better business opportunities.

And after I gave a respectful, no finger-pointing resignation, my boss who finally got back to me days later had the nerve to say, "I hope you know I'm not mad at you..", HA! What an ego. Grateful for FU money!

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1085 on: April 23, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
After several months at my new job, my boss/owner brought up the idea of us partnering and expanding the business. I took a month to think and eventually decided it could be a great idea and we proceeded. After I had started bringing ideas to action, handling large portions of the shared work, and getting in the mental state of being a co-owner, my "boss" decided she didn't want to partner. I believe it's because she realized she would have to make less for a while as the business grew, as well as work with someone who she'd have to treat as an equal.

She decided she wanted me to be her "assistant" instead. Which meant still doing the extra work I was doing as well as being her go-to person for every issue and complaint. Basically reduced to her peon while she gladly referred to me as her assistant and giddily proclaimed me as such to business contacts and other employees.

My boss who i do respect as she's a kind, good-hearted person, is a poor communicator and business owner. The type who can't handle stress or make a decision without panicking. The type who doesn't respect your personal time and sucks your energy talking about all their problems, both personal and business related.

It was just a few years ago that I started saving FU money and working towards FIRE. It has allowed me to give two weeks notice and pursue two much better business opportunities.

And after I gave a respectful, no finger-pointing resignation, my boss who finally got back to me days later had the nerve to say, "I hope you know I'm not mad at you..", HA! What an ego. Grateful for FU money!
Ah, this reminds me of my husband's job after grad school.  A start up run by a narcissist who grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth.  Sole owner of company, kept talking about issuing stock, but never did.  Managed to get contracts and hire great people, but after about 4-5 years of that, I could see the writing on the wall.  He talked about selling the business to my hubby and another senior guy so he could "retire".  I started encouraging him to look elsewhere.  He did, got a better job and the place went belly up 9 months later.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1086 on: May 04, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
Replying only to subscribe. I'm grateful I haven't had some of the bad experiences.  Some were less-than-ideal, but for the most part, I've had a good employment experience.

feelingroovy

• Stubble
« Reply #1087 on: May 10, 2016, 03:35:24 PM »
One month into my 3-month maternity leave, I took my departing in-laws to the airport.  I drove home thinking, "two more months home along with a toddler and a baby."  God help me.

When I got home, I was shocked to find DH was there.  Tuns out half the company got laid off, including him.  We high-fived.

That, man. THAT RIGHT THERE. The fact that you can react to a layoff, especially one that hits right after a child is born, with high-fives is THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS WEBSITE, amirite?? That's what we're all going for: liberation from money-related stress! People who aren't liberated would react to that with tears and possibly acrimony so bad it leads to divorce.

Oh, how I wish the forum had a "like" button and that I could press it 10^6 times. 

I've read the entire thread, beginning to end, and have an e-mail alert set up so I can know when responses posted (haven't posted-to-follow until now, though!), but I had forgotten about this story.  Daleth, thanks so much for highlighting it and bringing it before my eyes again--feelingroovy, I keep re-reading this amazing post-partum high-five story and letting it sink in, and in, and in some more--and tears well up in my eyes as I think how wonderful it is that your family knew PEACE in the aftermath of the layoff. 

This site freaking ROCKS.  :)

Thanks, Daleth and ZootsTwin. 

Those two months were truly "the life." We decided then that it was the only way to live--two kids, two stay at home parents.

I never understood why people buy houses and set up lifestyles that require two salaries. That's just asking for trouble.

That newborn is now 12 and we have taken the slow road to FI. We have always been frugal, but this site has given me the strategies to invest. Our wealth-building strategies are much more optimized now.

afuera

• Bristles
« Reply #1088 on: May 11, 2016, 09:58:14 AM »
I have a few older people I work with that are very candid about their situation and priorities.  The best way I heard it described was this:

"Every person has two buckets, a brown and a green.  The size of these buckets vary by person and sometimes by the time of day but regardless, the employee will leave when either one gets full."

For now both of my buckets are pretty empty but I'm so happy that by quickly filling up my green bucket (saving more and spending less), I will be able to keep my brown bucket small and feel comfortable leaving whenever it gets full.
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it" - Henry David Thoreau

6/2017: INV-3.4x, NW-5.0x
Projected FIRE date: 2025
Journal.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #1089 on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
"Every person has two buckets, a brown and a green.  The size of these buckets vary by person and sometimes by the time of day but regardless, the employee will leave when either one gets full."

Oh, I like that!!
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

2lazy2retire

• Bristles
« Reply #1090 on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:51 PM »

Is she British?

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1091 on: May 11, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »
Lately, I've taken to telling people exactly what I think of them. This has resulted in me either gaining greater respect from people or people cutting me off entirely (which is no big loss.) Seriously, if I upset someone, what are they going to do? Complain to my boss? And then I'll have to spend my day exercising, reading books, and posting on the internet while I live off a small amount of my massive savings? Who cares? Having FU money is awesome.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1092 on: May 11, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
@2lazy2retire No, she was just nasty.

LAL

• Stubble
« Reply #1093 on: May 12, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »
DH last summer went on a 1 month sabbatical on which we moved cross country. He came back on Monday after a month off and turned in his 2 weeks notice.  His boss said "huh I wondered what was going on with you selling your house and planning on renting."  He told HR that it was not a pleasant environment to work when in March they laid off 75% of the department but had been rude enough that they had interviewed and hired all their replacements the previous September-December.  He hadn't been cut but hated the workplace.  So he decided to leave and we left. 

Since even before March he had been doing anything he wanted.  He'd been hoping for a layoff.  Oh well.  Those jerks had laid off his old boss who had just come back from second bout of breast cancer.  She knew she was gone from lack of presence. 

FU money is nice and handy. We probably are close to FI but DH wants to work so here we are.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #1094 on: May 12, 2016, 07:20:21 PM »
Lately, I've taken to telling people exactly what I think of them. This has resulted in me either gaining greater respect from people or people cutting me off entirely (which is no big loss.) Seriously, if I upset someone, what are they going to do? Complain to my boss? And then I'll have to spend my day exercising, reading books, and posting on the internet while I live off a small amount of my massive savings? Who cares? Having FU money is awesome.

I hope you reserve that negative candor for people who deserve it by being terribly rude or hurtful to other employees, or cause others real inconveniences in their personal life by being unreliable or lazy.

Everyone could use some improvement, it's not right to call out people for harmless foibles.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1095 on: May 22, 2016, 10:51:12 PM »
Posting to follow

twojabs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1096 on: May 23, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
I used to have a really controlling manager.

I went for 3 external interviews in August, and 1 internal interview in early September.

On one morning in early December, I got my annual performance review in which, after a year of him being a complete negative micromanagement ass biscuit to me, he gave me a semi positive review and said I need to make more decisions (even tho every decision I've taken had been wrong in the previous 2 years).

Anyway, good review aside, I got a knockback from the internal job that morning too, and he was super smug about it.

He did not, however, know that of 3 external jobs, I received 3 offers on the same morning (well, on the Friday, Saturday and Monday morning).

I went out for my lunch and returned, calmly handing him my resignation letter with a smile on my face, only to see him melt into his chair, claim he was sad and that I had been a good employee.  All this after I "broke the relationship" in going for the internal interview...

A bad boss is bad business, but with a leader you can do your best work.  I didn't go for the highest paying job... But I did go for the right one.

LouLou

• Stubble
« Reply #1097 on: May 25, 2016, 06:48:08 AM »

IANAL, etc.

Absolutely consult an attorney who has experience in this area.  I love enforcing non-competes, and could enforce a well-written one against someone who made $50k under the right circumstances. And in many states, the courts will just adjust the terms of an otherwise unenforceable non-compete to make it unenforceable ("blue penciling").

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1098 on: May 25, 2016, 06:58:35 AM »
Thanks LouLou!
This was just a small time gig.  Turns out I don't *need* the money as much as I thought and am really enjoying not working at all.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1099 on: May 26, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »
Binge read the whole thread.  Sad stories, but WONDERFULLY entertaining.  Thank you all.

I have a few stories.  Will post one now, a few more to follow.  The only one I would categorize as an FU will be posted as some other time.

I was given incredible opportunities in my lifetime.  We took advantage of most of them, leading to me being FIRE with 2 FIRE dates.  The first date was the last day of school last year.  My second date was the FIRST day teachers were to report back.  I wasn't there :)

Got a degree in Computer Science in the early 90's, but went to work for my Grandfather in the family manufacturing business to see if that was the career I wanted.  I did not.  I did enjoy making things, but it was a little boring, and there were some issues with management(Uncle, cousin) I did not want to deal with for the rest of my life.  In short, I did not trust them and therefore did not want to be their partner.

After 3 1/2 years, I left to pursue a career using my degree.  So my first FU was not that at all.  It was simply living below our means in order to walk away from a very lucrative company simply because I did not want to stay.  My dad is still there to this day (at 75), HATING it, and destroying his body in order to deal with it(or NOT deal with it).  He can afford to leave anytime he wants to, but won't.

That led to my next FU story, which will be forthcoming.

Anyone else with a family related FU story?