Author Topic: Environmentalists: Why don't I see more posts about being Vegan? (Seriously though)  (Read 115591 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Probably has been asked here before --- but is veganism really good for the environment?   The basic math doesn't add up --- 1 lb spinach = $3 for 100 calories,  1 lb chicken = $2 for 700 calories.   Spinach is 10 times as expensive per calorie.    Those number have to translate into environmental impact in some manner.   

Ex. -- If I lived on spinach I would need to spend $60 per day on food.  If I lived on chicken I would need to spend $6.     I realize that products like corn, beans and flour are very inexpensive but grains and beans are not our friends.

Yeah, I mentioned this several pages back.

There are good and bad plants when looking at environmental benefits, some plants fall behind meat when examining them per calorie.  Throwing weird restrictions like limiting your intake of beans and grains would throw a wrench into the plan of course.  By and large though, a plant based diet is much better environmentally.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Probably has been asked here before --- but is veganism really good for the environment?   The basic math doesn't add up --- 1 lb spinach = $3 for 100 calories,  1 lb chicken = $2 for 700 calories.   Spinach is 10 times as expensive per calorie.    Those number have to translate into environmental impact in some manner.   

Ex. -- If I lived on spinach I would need to spend $60 per day on food.  If I lived on chicken I would need to spend $6.     I realize that products like corn, beans and flour are very inexpensive but grains and beans are not our friends.

Except that nobody eats spinach for calories, they eat small amounts of it for various vitamins, minerals, and fiber. You have to compare to things that people actually eat for calories, like lentils, etc. As far as beans and whole grains being unhealthy, I have yet to see that come from a reputable source. I don't personally eat beans because they make me vomit (literally), but there are definitely documented benefits to eating them regularly. Same for whole grains.

Kris

• Walrus Stache

Except that nobody eats spinach for calories, they eat small amounts of it for various vitamins, minerals, and fiber. You have to compare to things that people actually eat for calories, like lentils, etc. As far as beans and whole grains being unhealthy, I have yet to see that come from a reputable source. I don't personally eat beans because they make me vomit (literally), but there are definitely documented benefits to eating them regularly. Same for whole grains.

I don't agree.  When I was a vegetarian, I routinely ate brussels sprouts, greens, etc. as my "main dish".

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian

I don't agree.  When I was a vegetarian, I routinely ate brussels sprouts, greens, etc. as my "main dish".

Brussels sprouts are 38 calories/cup. That would be 52 cups EVERY DAY to get 2000 calories. No reasonable person would eat like that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Great, now I want Brussels sprouts.  They are pretty amaze-balls when pan fried in some butter with a bit of salt and pepper.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
Great, now I want Brussels sprouts.  They are pretty amaze-balls when pan fried in some butter with a bit of salt and pepper.

And with the butter, no longer only 38 calories a cup. Or vegan.

Still like putting whipped cream on shit though. Bleyach. I hate brussel sprouts.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

Still like putting whipped cream on shit though. Bleyach. I hate brussel sprouts.

Probably would work fine with olive oil too.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.

Brussels sprouts are greatly improved with bacon.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache

Brussels sprouts are greatly improved with bacon.

Bacon is greatly worsened by Brusselsprouts.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
I've done 35 years of independent research and I've found that eating meat definitely leads to NOT being hungry.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian

Obviously, your friend and her doctor were sharing a delusion in which she *believed* she changed her diet and her doctor *believed* that her bloodwork showed deficiencies, but it was all a joint hallucination. Either that, or a massive conspiracy by the carni-medical complex.

You are not reading what I'm saying, or addressing it.

I am not saying that people, or their doctors, are lying or mistaken about about the results of their tests. Test results are easy to read.

I am saying that they are lying or mistaken about eating a balanced vegan diet with all necessary nutrients, yet are unable to absorb said nutrients - but suddenly able to absorb the same nutrients when they eat a steak.

As we know, it is extremely common for people to be lying or mistaken about diet. We can see this when looking at fat people.

It is very common for fat people to claim that they are eating healthy and in proper portions, but the reason they cannot lose weight is due to some underlying condition or some such. Of course, as we know, they are simply lying or mistaken, rather than the far less likely possibility that they truly have an undiscovered condition that prevents them from losing weight.

And even though being significantly overweight is directly harmful to their health and shortening their lifespan, they persist in their lies or delusion.

It is exactly the same parallel as veganism.

Sure, there are perhaps a few people with extremely rare conditions that truly do prevent them from losing weight despite eating moderate amounts of food. But that only applies to those select few, and the vast majority of the remainder are simply lying or mistaken.
Well then, you are flat out wrong, and I'm sorry that you are unable to admit it.

(We are not talking about laymen here, we are talking about doctors, nutritionists, dedicated vegans/ vegetarians of decades, and people with actual degrees in nutrition whose job it is to counsel others on how to eat.)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
That is the point. Primal and Paleo are CAN BE examples of an extremely unhealthy diets simply because they are way up on the meat intake scale.

Fixed that for you.

Like veganism, Primal and Paleo are defined by what is EXCLUDED, not by what is INCLUDED, and certainly not by amounts.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Well here's what the paper shown in the video says:

RESULTS:

Over an average of 5.2 years of follow-up, 343 men and 1555 women reported one or more fractures. Compared with meat eaters, fracture incidence rate ratios in men and women combined adjusted for sex, age and non-dietary factors were 1.01 (95% CI 0.88-1.17) for fish eaters, 1.00 (0.89-1.13) for vegetarians and 1.30 (1.02-1.66) for vegans. After further adjustment for dietary energy and calcium intake the incidence rate ratio among vegans compared with meat eaters was 1.15 (0.89-1.49). Among subjects consuming at least 525 mg/day calcium the corresponding incidence rate ratios were 1.05 (0.90-1.21) for fish eaters, 1.02 (0.90-1.15) for vegetarians and 1.00 (0.69-1.44) for vegans.

The guy in the video talks about deficiencies in "average omnivores" but I see no data in the paper he showed to back this up - -where is this?  Is it his opinion?  You can find the original paper online.

Also - if it does come from other source it's a poor choice of comparison.  You are taking one group of folks - vegans, who are very, very closely watching their diet, to the general population of omnivores.  A more appropriate study - if you wanted to look at nutrient issues - would be to take vegans vs. a group of omnivores with similarly sharp interest in nutrition and diet. 

Details are killer.
I'm reading a book right now that goes into this (Eat Fat, Get Thin by Dr. Mark Hyman).  Most studies that compare vegans to non-vegans make this mistake.  The studies that compare vegans to "health conscious omnivores" show equal health outcomes.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
You know what I find interesting. I post a link to a peer reviewed scientific article that backs up exactly what I'm stating and no one reads it. Is that what we call intellectual dishonesty. I think it is.

Do you need me to go and get a bunch more articles ?

It's your guys call. I think though that we need to be looking at the facts and not trying to be right. That would make it an easier discussion and probably more beneficial. Don't you want to know the truth of the situation. Isn't that important.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache

RESULTS:

Over an average of 5.2 years of follow-up, 343 men and 1555 women reported one or more fractures. Compared with meat eaters, fracture incidence rate ratios in men and women combined adjusted for sex, age and non-dietary factors were 1.01 (95% CI 0.88-1.17) for fish eaters, 1.00 (0.89-1.13) for vegetarians and 1.30 (1.02-1.66) for vegans. After further adjustment for dietary energy and calcium intake the incidence rate ratio among vegans compared with meat eaters was 1.15 (0.89-1.49). Among subjects consuming at least 525 mg/day calcium the corresponding incidence rate ratios were 1.05 (0.90-1.21) for fish eaters, 1.02 (0.90-1.15) for vegetarians and 1.00 (0.69-1.44) for vegans.

The guy in the video talks about deficiencies in "average omnivores" but I see no data in the paper he showed to back this up - -where is this?  Is it his opinion?  You can find the original paper online.

Also - if it does come from other source it's a poor choice of comparison.  You are taking one group of folks - vegans, who are very, very closely watching their diet, to the general population of omnivores.  A more appropriate study - if you wanted to look at nutrient issues - would be to take vegans vs. a group of omnivores with similarly sharp interest in nutrition and diet. 

Details are killer.
I'm reading a book right now that goes into this (Eat Fat, Get Thin by Dr. Mark Hyman).  Most studies that compare vegans to non-vegans make this mistake.  The studies that compare vegans to "health conscious omnivores" show equal health outcomes.

Great comment. The article I linked too probably did the complete opposite. It linked health conscious omnivores who probably eat significantly less meat than the general population to vegans. There were still differences in health outcomes.

Anyhoo. Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
You know what I find interesting. I post a link to a peer reviewed scientific article that backs up exactly what I'm stating and no one reads it. Is that what we call intellectual dishonesty. I think it is.

It's your guys call. I think though that we need to be looking at the facts and not trying to be right. That would make it an easier discussion and probably more beneficial. Don't you want to know the truth of the situation. Isn't that important.
It really just appears to us that you are cherry picking. I  like reading about nutrition too, and the results of scientific articles (though I admit, I read enough stuff at work that I'm not terribly interested in reading the actual articles).

I read all sorts of stuff, from the vegans to the Paleos, and in-between.  It seems like the in-between folks (doctors, nutritionists, and health writers) are the only ones that don't cherry pick their way to "the answer".  They review ALL the papers, not just the ones that tell them what they want to hear.

Examples: Dr. Mark Hyman, Marion Nestle, Luise Light, Denise Minger

When you consider that we are not binary, and are a complicated "system" (as someone else put it) - it's fascinating.  How many studies that reviewed the effects of eating X on Y didn't consider the intake of Z?  (All those studies on meat and sat fat and cholesterol on heart disease, for example, without controlling for sugar or carbohydrate).

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache

RESULTS:

Details are killer.

Great comment. The article I linked too probably did the complete opposite. It linked health conscious omnivores who probably eat significantly less meat than the general population to vegans. There were still differences in health outcomes.

Wrong again.  The article says nothing about the study group of omnivores being "health conscious"---- stop lying already.

Time to move this thread into the dumpster category.  I read the entire article - not just the abstract you linked to -- I posted the conclusions of the abstract - no where in the methodology or conclusions does it match what you are saying.  Neither does the full article.  WTF are you talking about??????
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:30:42 PM by Northwestie »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache

It really just appears to us that you are cherry picking. I  like reading about nutrition too, and the results of scientific articles (though I admit, I read enough stuff at work that I'm not terribly interested in reading the actual articles).

I read all sorts of stuff, from the vegans to the Paleos, and in-between.  It seems like the in-between folks (doctors, nutritionists Registered Dietitians, and health writers) are the only ones that don't cherry pick their way to "the answer".  They review ALL the papers, not just the ones that tell them what they want to hear.

When you consider that we are not binary, and are a complicated "system" (as someone else put it) - it's fascinating.  How many studies that reviewed the effects of eating X on Y didn't consider the intake of Z?  (All those studies on meat and sat fat and cholesterol on heart disease, for example, without controlling for sugar or carbohydrate).

FTFY. Don't go to anyone who says they're a [only] nutritionist. I can say I'm a nutritionist, and I'd be right. Nutritionist means nothing. A Dietitian must take an undergraduate courseload in Dietitics (or closely related, often it IS called nutrition or food science) and then get matched (like a doctor) to a Dietitic internship. Then they have to do the internship, usually at a hospital, and then take a rigorous exam before they can be accredited and call themselves a Dietitian.

So my wife is a Dietitian. She's done significant research on this, and with cancer in both her and my families, as well as MS in hers, it is a serious issue for her. I think she might have been published as well, but I'm not sure on that one.

The general direction that she sees the peer reviewed studies and whatnot heading is that Organic is a good thing, and better than non organic (IN GENERAL) and that less meat is better than more meat. We generally in our house eat very little red meat--mostly chicken--and fish (but only a few times a month--gotta watch the mercury, and no Tilapia or Shrimp--she's very careful about the origin of the fish). Our [starchy] carbs are generally rice, potato, or corn. Nothing wrong with gluten, other than when we eat it we end up with wayyy too many calories for the day. We try to make every meal have fruits, vegetables, and/or nuts. We try to make the fruit/vegetable the biggest part of the meal.

The "problem" with diets like Paleo is that you get a lot of false negatives. Removing gluten is silly; there is nothing wrong with it. But when you remove it, you also remove Cheeto's, McDonalds, etc. The problem with Organic is that I can eat organic butter, organic biscuits fried in lard, and organic bacon for a meal. Organic is "healthier" because the research is starting to show that not only are we what we eat, but we're what our food eats as well.

Oh, and meat is not necessary--it just is the easiest way to get the protein we need (and we don't need that much*). Additionally, we eat protein first because it takes the longest to digest, so you feel full longer and faster.

We're not perfect. We don't follow any diet. Everything in moderation, including moderation. Eat food, mostly plants, not too much. But we're still human, and last night she had a horrible day at work so we went to a greasy spoon and had waffles with butter and syrup, pork sausages, and scrambled eggs. Not real healthy.

*Assuming no body builders, serious athletes, people coming out of surgery, etc.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:43:58 PM by mtn »

steveo

• Handlebar Stache

I read all sorts of stuff, from the vegans to the Paleos, and in-between.  It seems like the in-between folks (doctors, nutritionists, and health writers) are the only ones that don't cherry pick their way to "the answer".  They review ALL the papers, not just the ones that tell them what they want to hear.

I've never been within this thread completely hard lined or binary. That isn't true at all.

What you are doing here is making up excuses when we have a tonne of factual scientific information that try and give you an out. So you are trying to manipulate the facts to suit your argument. I'm definitely not doing that. You are just picking on trivialities to try and state we don't have enough information just yet to make a call when we do. I've bolded the point above to stress where you are doing this.

I can repeat myself ad-nauseum if you wan't me too but I've been consistent within this thread on the facts as we know it:-

1. Unprocessed plant based foods have significant health benefits to human beings.
2. Meat and animal products on the whole (there will be exceptions) impact human beings health in negative ways. There is a line here when it's all good but what is the line. I'm not sure. The study I linked too suggested that even some animal products impact health in negative ways.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache

RESULTS:

Details are killer.

Wrong again.  The article says nothing about the study group of omnivores being "health conscious"---- stop lying already.

Time to move this thread into the dumpster category.  I read the entire article - not just the abstract you linked to -- I posted the conclusions of the abstract - no where in the methodology or conclusions does it match what you are saying.  Neither does the full article.  WTF are you talking about??????

This is an outright lie.

Let's be honest that article was based seventh day adventists who are known to be healthier than the general population. End of argument.

That proves where you stand. I won't respond to comments like that anymore. I'm not doing that because it shows you lack integrity.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
I'm ok with what you "believe".  It's a free world and folks believe in God, UFOs, auras, and all kinds of crap.

But every time you make a claim based on science -- you are wrong, every time you have posted a link to an article to support your claim, the article does no such thing.  As my spouse says to her school kids, it isn't based in fact and science you should start your statement with "I believe......"   then it's an opinion.

Which in this case, is based on no underlying facts.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
FTFY. Don't go to anyone who says they're a [only] nutritionist. I can say I'm a nutritionist, and I'd be right. Nutritionist means nothing. A Dietitian must take an undergraduate courseload in Dietitics (or closely related, often it IS called nutrition or food science) and then get matched (like a doctor) to a Dietitic internship. Then they have to do the internship, usually at a hospital, and then take a rigorous exam before they can be accredited and call themselves a Dietitian.

So my wife is a Dietitian. She's done significant research on this, and with cancer in both her and my families, as well as MS in hers, it is a serious issue for her. I think she might have been published as well, but I'm not sure on that one.

The general direction that she sees the peer reviewed studies and whatnot heading is that Organic is a good thing, and better than non organic (IN GENERAL) and that less meat is better than more meat. We generally in our house eat very little red meat--mostly chicken--and fish (but only a few times a month--gotta watch the mercury, and no Tilapia or Shrimp--she's very careful about the origin of the fish). Our [starchy] carbs are generally rice, potato, or corn. Nothing wrong with gluten, other than when we eat it we end up with wayyy too many calories for the day. We try to make every meal have fruits, vegetables, and/or nuts. We try to make the fruit/vegetable the biggest part of the meal.

The "problem" with diets like Paleo is that you get a lot of false negatives. Removing gluten is silly; there is nothing wrong with it. But when you remove it, you also remove Cheeto's, McDonalds, etc. The problem with Organic is that I can eat organic butter, organic biscuits fried in lard, and organic bacon for a meal. Organic is "healthier" because the research is starting to show that not only are we what we eat, but we're what our food eats as well.

Oh, and meat is not necessary--it just is the easiest way to get the protein we need (and we don't need that much*). Additionally, we eat protein first because it takes the longest to digest, so you feel full longer and faster.

We're not perfect. We don't follow any diet. Everything in moderation, including moderation. Eat food, mostly plants, not too much. But we're still human, and last night she had a horrible day at work so we went to a greasy spoon and had waffles with butter and syrup, pork sausages, and scrambled eggs. Not real healthy.

*Assuming no body builders, serious athletes, people coming out of surgery, etc.

Exactly. I'm not perfect either. That doesn't though change the facts as we know then when it comes to eating healthily.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache

RESULTS:

Details are killer.

This is an outright lie.

Let's be honest that article was based seventh day adventists who are known to be healthier than the general population. End of argument.

That proves where you stand. I won't respond to comments like that anymore. I'm not doing that because it shows you lack integrity.

Please try to follow along here ---  this article you linked to:

And then claimed it said that "all meat was bad" --this study does not include 7th day Adventists.  You're posting so much crap you can't keep track of it now.

Do a search of the full article ------it says nothing about 7th day Adventist in the full article or the abstract.  You are making stuff up again

In case you didn't notice - the article is only investigating fracture rates among vegetarians and non-vegetarians.  How you got "meat is evil" out of this one is anyone's guess.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:12:00 PM by Northwestie »

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
Okay - I've tried to get some more facts at a detailed level.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4073139/

This is a good study. I suggest that you read it.

Some key broad points:-

In summary, vegetarians have consistently shown to have lower risks for cardiometabolic outcomes and some cancers across all three prospective cohorts of Adventists. Beyond meatless diets, further avoidance of eggs and dairy products may offer a mild additional benefit. Compared to lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets, vegan diets seem to provide some added protection against obesity, hypertension, type-2 diabetes; and cardiovascular mortality. In general, the protective effects of vegetarian diets are stronger in men than in women. At present, there are limited prospective data on vegetarian dietary patterns and body weight change, obesity and neurological disorders. Large dietary intervention trials on the effects of vegetarian diets on obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular outcomes are warranted to make meaningful recommendations for nutritional planning, assessment, and counseling.

So generally a vegan diet seems to provide some additional health benefits even compared to vegetarian diets. That is interesting.

Just comparing vegetarians to meat eaters there is a pretty significant impact:-

presents all-cause and cause-specific mortality comparing vegetarians to non-vegetarians. In all three cohorts, vegetarians experienced a 10% to 20% decreased in all-cause mortality. Similarly, vegetarians had 26% to 68% lower risks of mortality from ischemic heart disease, cardiovascular disease, and cerebrovascular disease. Vegetarians experienced a 48% risk reduction in mortality from breast cancer, and modest risks reduction from other-cause total mortality. No significant risks reduction in cause-specific mortality were found among vegetarians, particularly for cancers of the stomach, colorectal, lung, and prostate.

And this needs to be put into perspective:-

Non-vegetarian Adventists, used as a reference in all reported comparisons, consume much less meat than the general population

Here is another study:-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671114/

A pertinent question is whether vegetarian diets remain protective in current obesity-promoting environments and in diverse populations. We studied a Seventh-Day Adventist cohort that included a population of whom ∼25% of subjects were black and that was characterized by vegetarian and nonvegetarian eating patterns. We hypothesized that more exclusively vegetarian diets, e.g., vegan, lacto-ovo, or pesco-vegetarian, are associated with lower prevalence of obesity and type 2 diabetes compared with semi- or nonvegetarian diets.

So if we are looking at the facts we can state the following points:-

1. Eating meat in humans generally increases your risk of lots of diseases including heart disease and cancer.
2. Even going vegan compared to vegetarian can have health benefits across humans in general.

It's interesting.

Re-posted because facts beat BS every day of the week.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
Excellent tactic -- when unable to respond to the facts presented and underlying science, fall back to unsubstantiated generalizations.    It's good chaff.

Celda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Well then, you are flat out wrong, and I'm sorry that you are unable to admit it.

(We are not talking about laymen here, we are talking about doctors, nutritionists, dedicated vegans/ vegetarians of decades, and people with actual degrees in nutrition whose job it is to counsel others on how to eat.)

Then surely you must have some proof that I am wrong? Meaning, actual proof that multiple people were eating a balanced vegan diet with all necessary nutrients, couldn't absorb one or more nutrients, but could absorb the same nutrient from a steak or an egg?

No, you don't. If you had, you'd have shown it. Rather than giving yet another worthless anecdote about someone who swears they are eating a balanced vegan diet with all nutrients, but can't absorb it.

Please read up on the facts.

No one would want to, or actually does, live on spinach precisely because it is low calorie.

Here is the environmental impact per calorie for various foods:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/vegetarian-or-omnivore-the-environmental-implications-of-diet/2014/03/10/648fdbe8-a495-11e3-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html

As you can see, the worst offenders are meat. Even chicken, which is not as bad as beef, is still far worse than foods like tofu, rice, beans, lentils - all foods that vegetarians and vegans do consume as a large portion of their calories.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:12:08 PM by Celda »

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
Excellent tactic -- when unable to respond to the facts presented and underlying science, fall back to unsubstantiated generalizations.    It's good chaff.

Do a search of the full article ------it says nothing about 7th day Adventist in the full article or the abstract.  You are making stuff up again

Non-vegetarian Adventists, used as a reference in all reported comparisons, consume much less meat than the general population

Here is another study:-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671114/

A pertinent question is whether vegetarian diets remain protective in current obesity-promoting environments and in diverse populations. We studied a Seventh-Day Adventist cohort that included a population of whom ∼25% of subjects were black and that was characterized by vegetarian and nonvegetarian eating patterns. We hypothesized that more exclusively vegetarian diets, e.g., vegan, lacto-ovo, or pesco-vegetarian, are associated with lower prevalence of obesity and type 2 diabetes compared with semi- or nonvegetarian diets.

I find this pretty funny. The title of the first linked paper is "Beyond Meatless, the Health Effects of Vegan Diets: Findings from the Adventist Cohorts".
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:32:47 AM by steveo »

JoRocka

• Bristles
Who is arguing that it's OK to eat a high meat diet?

I would.
Because I LOVE meat- and red meat- and steak and all you can eat brazillian and bacon.

And I'm a libertarian... so I say- do what works best for you- and I'll do what works best for me.

And meat works best for me. (although really - my diet isn't HIGH IMHO- i'ts just higher than most).

#powerlifterforlife

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23

I would.
Because I LOVE meat- and red meat- and steak and all you can eat brazillian and bacon.

And I'm a libertarian... so I say- do what works best for you- and I'll do what works best for me.

And meat works best for me. (although really - my diet isn't HIGH IMHO- i'ts just higher than most).

#powerlifterforlife

Oh my god...those places where they bring you endless rounds of sizzling, perfectly cooked and seasoned meats. Of all kinds. Served with endless side dishes of more meats... love it.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache

Actually you posted a video, then you posted peer review studies with quotes cherry picked without showing the methods when people were disagreeing on methodology.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache

Actually you posted a video, then you posted peer review studies with quotes cherry picked without showing the methods when people were disagreeing on methodology.

I realized that the information that I provided wasn't up to the criteria of the people criticising my points and then I went and did everything that was asked:-

1. Linked to the whole article
2. Made sure it was peer-reviewed and published.
3. Had a comparison of healthy omnivore eating patterns compared to vegetarians compared to vegans.

That is like a hole in one. You can't get any better.

The question has to become what has a man gotta do to get some of you into the proverbial sack ? I mean I pulled out the big guns. There hasn't been one single counter response anywhere near that level at any point within this thread.

My suggestion since a bunch of you want to be right rather than informed is to go back and find something that beats the research that I provided or say thank you for the information that I provided.

At this point let's be honest the discussion is over.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache

I realized that the information that I provided wasn't up to the criteria of the people criticising my points and then I went and did everything that was asked:-

3. Had a comparison of healthy omnivore eating patterns compared to vegetarians compared to vegans.

The question has to become what has a man gotta do to get some of you into the proverbial sack
? I mean I pulled out the big guns. There hasn't been one single counter response anywhere near that level at any point within this thread.

My suggestion since a bunch of you want to be right rather than informed is to go back and find something that beats the research that I provided or say thank you for the information that I provided.

Maybe I missed it but I've gone back over every peer reviewed study I could find that you posted and none supported your claim.  And frankly your summary on every single one, has been inaccurate when one actually reads the study.  You don't have a hole in one and your condescending response does not help your case.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

The question has to become what has a man gotta do to get some of you into the proverbial sack
? I mean I pulled out the big guns. There hasn't been one single counter response anywhere near that level at any point within this thread.

Maybe I missed it but I've gone back over every peer reviewed study I could find that you posted and none supported your claim.  And frankly your summary on every single one, has been inaccurate when one actually reads the study.  You don't have a hole in one and your condescending response does not help your case.

^ This study is largely made up of a comparison of seventh day Adventists.  On average the life expectancy of people following this religion is longer than other Americans.  I think that Steveo is assuming that this means that everyone in the study was following a healthy diet/eating pattern.

The same study also shows:
- that vegans have a higher colorectal cancer risk than lacto-ovo vegetarians
- covers the fact that the vegan diet is incomplete and requires supplementation for health
- shows that in a study of non-seventh day adventist there is "no difference in total mortality between British vegetarians compared with other health-conscious participants"

The other article (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671114/) specifically discusses diabetes.  It demonstrates that BMI is typically lower for vegans, then vegetarians, then meat eaters.  They took account of this variable in their analysis.

They also did a good job taking into account the rather dramatic lifestyle differences shown between vegans and omnivores (check table 2).  The omnivores in the study are blacker, sleep much less, watch much more TV, use far more alcohol and are worse educated.

No effort to track quality of food was made in this study.  An omnivore who ate entirely processed meat was counted with an omnivore who ate red meat once a month.

These are interesting studies, that open up some questions for discussion.  I'm not really seeing "slam dunk" proof of what Steveo is arguing though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:27:06 AM by GuitarStv »

JoRocka

• Bristles

I would.

#powerlifterforlife

Oh my god...those places where they bring you endless rounds of sizzling, perfectly cooked and seasoned meats. Of all kinds. Served with endless side dishes of more meats... love it.
Up till we started wedding planning- we were going 2-3 times a month.

Not particularly mustachian of me- but the man is paying- and he can spend his money how he wants. It's not coming out of my "dine out" budget plan!

now we only go once every two months.   so delicious.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

I would.

#powerlifterforlife

Not particularly mustachian of me- but the man is paying- and he can spend his money how he wants. It's not coming out of my "dine out" budget plan!

I love heading to a Brazilian steak house as a special treat.  If you want to go to one, knock yourself out.  But do it with your eyes open.  There is a lot of evidence that over the long term eating huge quantities of meat like that is pretty bad for you.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache

I would.

#powerlifterforlife

I love heading to a Brazilian steak house as a special treat.  If you want to go to one, knock yourself out.  But do it with your eyes open.  There is a lot of evidence that over the long term eating huge quantities of meat like that is pretty bad for you.

I guess somehow I'll just have to find the strength to deal with my own mortality. It'll be a lot easier with a lifetime of roasted pork loins and  knock-out charcoal grilled bacon cheese burgers.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

I would.

#powerlifterforlife

I guess somehow I'll just have to find the strength to deal with my own mortality. It'll be a lot easier with a lifetime of roasted pork loins and  knock-out charcoal grilled bacon cheese burgers.

I'll try to contain my surprise that the guy with a pack of cigarettes as his avatar is unconcerned about future health repercussions of current actions.  :P

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache

Unfortunately this is a common interwebs tactic.  Make a claim, throw up an unrelated article, wave arms and say it's peer-reviewed, when called on it don't address the issue but throw up more unrelated articles.  Repeat as needed.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache

I would.

#powerlifterforlife

I'll try to contain my surprise that the guy with a pack of cigarettes as his avatar is unconcerned about future health repercussions of current actions.  :P

It's actually guitar necks sticking out. Its a band poster. Though it's so small I suppose it probably does appear to be cigarettes...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian

I read all sorts of stuff, from the vegans to the Paleos, and in-between.  It seems like the in-between folks (doctors, nutritionists Registered Dietitians, and health writers) are the only ones that don't cherry pick their way to "the answer".  They review ALL the papers, not just the ones that tell them what they want to hear.

This is good info.  I tend to use Nutritionist and RD interchangeably (incorrectly), even though I have a great friend who is an RD, and I don't know what a nutritionist actually is (or how it differs from an RD).

Sounds like our diets are very similar.

Removing gluten - well again, it depends on the person.  For some people, going gluten free means giving up cheetos, for an already health conscious person, it may mean giving up sandwiches on whole wheat bread and instead eating tacos on corn tortillas or something with rice.

I personally have better luck with weight loss and maintenance if I make those substitutions (even keeping calories the same), and I have several friends who have gone gluten free.  I'm not sure if any of them are Celiac (actually, one of them is).  But the rest just tried it and found their digestive issues went away.  Maybe it's because I live in CA, but I tend to have a lot of health conscious friends, so they aren't exchanging cheetos for sweet potatoes.

But I love bread.  I just have to limit it.

JoRocka

• Bristles

I would.

#powerlifterforlife

when my doctor tells me my health markers are bad and I can't work 70 hrs a week any more- then I'll reconsider. :)   I lift 3 times a week as a power lifter and I spend upwards of 15 hrs a week in dance class, I work a full desk job and I am a professional bellydancer regularly gigging.   I'm healthier than most folks telling me my meat habits are bad.

While I'm not going to argue that large amounts of meat aren't bad for you- I'll do so from the solid ground of "anything in large extreme amounts is bad for you".

And as I mentioned on page 2 or 3- living a long life is over rated. I don't care about long term life.

JoRocka

• Bristles

I would.

#powerlifterforlife

You sing the songs of my people!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
This is good info.  I tend to use Nutritionist and RD interchangeably (incorrectly), even though I have a great friend who is an RD, and I don't know what a nutritionist actually is (or how it differs from an RD).

Sounds like our diets are very similar.

Removing gluten - well again, it depends on the person.  For some people, going gluten free means giving up cheetos, for an already health conscious person, it may mean giving up sandwiches on whole wheat bread and instead eating tacos on corn tortillas or something with rice.

I personally have better luck with weight loss and maintenance if I make those substitutions (even keeping calories the same), and I have several friends who have gone gluten free.  I'm not sure if any of them are Celiac (actually, one of them is).  But the rest just tried it and found their digestive issues went away.  Maybe it's because I live in CA, but I tend to have a lot of health conscious friends, so they aren't exchanging cheetos for sweet potatoes.

But I love bread.  I just have to limit it.

Nutritionist vs. Dietitian: All Dietitian's are nutritionists. It does not go the other way around. Literally, any person who has looked at a nutrition label and thinks they know what they're talking about could go into business as a "nutritionist" and no one could say anything against it.

The gluten thing is interesting to me. I've heard lots of people talk about the digestive issues, but I have never seen it myself in any of my experiments going gluten free (one for a month). My wife has also seen no peer reviewed studies saying that gluten is bad in that sense*--obviously, if it works, do it--but I just haven't seen it myself. And I'm unwilling to give up bread.

*My wife is a clinical Dietitian, so she is not looking for "diet" studies--her job is much more advanced than that, i.e. calculating the caloric and dietary needs of a 75% burn victim and administering the tube feed. There very well may be some out there, but she hasn't found them nor searched for them.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
These are interesting studies, that open up some questions for discussion.  I'm not really seeing "slam dunk" proof of what Steveo is arguing though.

Let's be honest though - it's pretty darn good truth based upon real peer reviewed research. That is as good as it's going to get. It's also fair and realistic. It shows exactly what I've been stating. It's about risks and overall you lower your risk profile the more vegan like your get across broad general criteria.

This is real life people that are being studied. It's hard to get a perfect test tube result. We have got pretty good indicators within that study though.

Plus everyone jumping up and down and having to be right have what proof - none.

If you want to eat meat and love eating meat I say freaken great. I couldn't care less what people eat. It's just that when it comes to a discussion about what is healthy try and be factual and honest. Some posters got caught out here with wanting me to provide perfect truth. I got a million times better proof than what they have and I'm still waiting for them to come back with one shred of proof to prove that they can walk the walk rather than just speak crap.

I could get a whole bunch more proof as well. It's just a hassle for me to go out and do it.

What I've been stating all along is true. The scientific research is now really clear. Of course you can have some animal products and be healthy but it's a really low limit and maybe no animal products is best.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:02:43 PM by steveo »

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
The gluten thing is interesting to me. I've heard lots of people talk about the digestive issues, but I have never seen it myself in any of my experiments going gluten free (one for a month). My wife has also seen no peer reviewed studies saying that gluten is bad in that sense*--obviously, if it works, do it--but I just haven't seen it myself. And I'm unwilling to give up bread.

The gluten thing is predominantly a scam. It's actually probably a negative to people on the whole because it stops people eating whole grains when whole grains are good for you.

Some people are allergic to gluten but it's a lot fewer people than tell us they have gluten allergies.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache

What I've been stating all along is true. The scientific research is now really clear. Of course you can have some animal products and be healthy but it's a really low limit and maybe no animal products is best.

You keep doing this.  Making broad general statements "maybe no animal products is best"  and there is absolutely, positively no science behind this assertion.  You've thrown up a pile of peer-reviewed articles that have nothing at all to do with this assertion -- and then claim they back you up.  Stop lying.

There is nothing to back up "low limit" nor "no animal products is best"  even for red meat and certainly not for chicken and especially fish.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache

You keep doing this.  Making broad general statements "maybe no animal products is best"  and there is absolutely, positively no science behind this assertion.  You've thrown up a pile of peer-reviewed articles that have nothing at all to do with this assertion -- and then claim they back you up.  Stop lying.

There is nothing to back up "low limit" nor "no animal products is best"  even for red meat and certainly not for chicken and especially fish.

Read the study that I posted first before speaking dribble yet again - it compares vegans to healthy eating omnivores and even vegetarians. The vegans appear to have several attributes correlated with being the healthiest. Then come back to me with your research that backs up your points. It has to be peer reviewed and detail people eating different healthy diets. You need to provide:-

1. The full article
2. It has to be a peer reviewed and published article
3. It needs to compare healthy eating patterns.

You now need to provide facts. You haven't done that once throughout this thread and you've spoken a lot of crap.

Prove your point or don't. Stop though speaking dribble.

Lastly - if you can't do that you are a liar.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:17:04 PM by steveo »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Read the study that I posted first before speaking dribble yet again - it compares vegans to healthy eating omnivores and even vegetarians. The vegans appear to have several attributes correlated with being the healthiest.

I've read all the studies that you posted.

Seventh Day Adventists who were vegans were compared to people of the same faith who were vegetarians and those who were omnivores.  No attempt was made to ensure that a healthy diet was adhered to at all.  No indication of the quantity or type of meat eaten by the omnivores was made (which is important, as the detrimental effects of meat seem largely confined to red meat and processed meats.)  The only point in the study where an attempt to compare people on a healthy diet eating meat and those who don't eat meat was made was among the British population.  "no difference in total mortality between British vegetarians compared with other health-conscious participants" is what was found.

People are focusing on the incorrect statements that you're making about the study.  Please stop making them.  There is some good information in the studies that you could argue points to a possible (maybe even likely) connection between animal products and poor health.  When you exaggerate what your findings show you really end up hurting your argument.

FWIW, thanks to this thread I've been a bit of a rethink about the quantity of meat (particularly red meat) that I personally will continue to consume in the future.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
Stevo - you really need to learn the difference between data/analysis/conclusions of a study and then the overlay of your own opinions you keep trying to overlay on these.  Based on this I'm guessing you have no degree or experience in science, statistics, nor experimental design.  I could have pulled 20 more citations from your dialog, but this is an example of what you say ----- but none of it is proved by any of the documents you keep throwing at the wall like pasta to see if anything will stick

………. no animal products is best.

……. 1-2 meat dishes maximum per week and those dishes should be more using meat as a flavouring

I think that vegan diets compared to all other diets have the best scientific backing compared to all other diets.

(The best diet is) I'd say 1 small fish serving per week and a very small serving of another meat product. The serving size has to be like a flavouring additive though

I'm just stating based on the available data that a vegan based diet appears to be the healthiest

This describes the typical situation:- http://nutritionfacts.org/video/omnivore-vs-vegan-nutrient-deficiencies-2/ --- this video says nothing about vegan diets being the best.  The paper cited in the video is of narrow scope and only talks about vegetatarians vs omnivores risk of bone fracture --- nothing more, yet it is used to back up the above claims--- no, wrong, wrong, wrong.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
Interesting - where are your studies. No proof yet again.

You know what I find funny - when people talk a lot of crap but then can't back it up. You are funny.