Author Topic: Employer Drug Testing  (Read 20829 times)

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Employer Drug Testing
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »
Does anyone have knowledge of medical marijuana use and random drug testing?   I was recently diagnosed with cancer and am about to start radiation and chemotherapy.  My oncologist suggested using cannabis to help control nausea and pain (and I'm fairly certain I will experience both), so I have applied for a medical marijuana card.

I'm in health care, and I would never use any mind altering drug before or during work.  But what if the residual cannabis is in my system from using it during my treatment?  I'm afraid to ask HR.

Where I live companies and even the government are not required to give you a free pass to use marijuana even though you may have a state license to do so. Most likely, your employer will fire you if you test positive for marijuana. It doesn't matter whether you use the drug at work or not. It sucks, but that's the way it is right now.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2016, 09:39:08 PM »
@DD,

If you can, take leave during your chemo and radiation. That way, there won't be any chance that you'll get popped for a random drug test. Once you get better, if you can wait a month or so after you quit using the medical marijuana before you go  back to work, you should be fine by then. If you can't afford to take off work for the entire time, depending on how often you get tested, you may be able to just chance it and hope you don't get called in for a random test. Also, laws on this may be different in different states, so maybe it would be worth it for you to pay for a consultation with an attorney who is familiar with employment laws in your state, just to make sure you are fully aware of your rights and the risks involved in whatever medicine you are considering taking...

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2016, 07:14:31 AM »
@DD,

If you can, take leave during your chemo and radiation. That way, there won't be any chance that you'll get popped for a random drug test. Once you get better, if you can wait a month or so after you quit using the medical marijuana before you go  back to work, you should be fine by then. 

I will be off for a couple of months, so this sounds like the best way to play it.  Thanks for the input.