Author Topic: Donating to Ukraine  (Read 5596 times)

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
Donating to Ukraine
« on: February 27, 2022, 05:50:20 AM »
Has anyone done research on the best way to donate money to support Ukraine?

ETA: We are going to donate about 1 day's salary. Would anyone else like to also pledge to do that?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 07:09:50 AM by wageslave23 »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Donating to Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 06:43:44 AM »
I was really moved when I read about World Central Kitchen, which has a team on the ground in Poland and is providing hot meals to the thousands of refugees crossing the border from Ukraine. According to Charity Navigator, it has a 4-star "exceptional" rating, and 85.7% of donations go directly to such programs.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 07:07:42 AM »
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 09:08:10 AM »
We are going to donate about 1 day's salary. Would anyone else like to also pledge to do that?

I am in

Avolonte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 09:32:38 AM »
We will pledge one day's salary. I'm looking at the "how you can help" article from NPR, and we'll choose a couple of charities as a family.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 09:43:14 AM »
My wife and I donated 1 day's salary to Direct Relief.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »
Yeah, we can pledge one day's salary. Good idea.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 09:45:32 AM »

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 10:06:41 AM »
BBC just had the CEO of care.org on. Really compelling stuff. I feel pretty helpless, and its heart breaking to watch the coverage. I hope our donations can do some good.

"CARE is raising money for its Ukraine Crisis Fund, which will provide immediate aid including food, water, hygiene kits, support services and direct cash assistance.

The humanitarian organization aims to raise $20 million and help at least 4 million Ukrainians. It says it will prioritize women and girls, families and the elderly."

CARE.ORG

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 10:34:26 AM »
If anyone trust Rotary clubs, here is a way to donate to them:

Dear Rotarian Friends,
Poland was with Ukraine in one district till 2015. Now we have many friends there. So we decided to help our nieghbors. They need our help. If you want to help please send money to the bank account RC Zamość Ordynacki PL78 1090 2590 0000 0001 3763 5773 SWIFT/BIC - WBKPPLPP with note ”POMOC DLA UKRAINY”
District Governor Rotary Polska, Dystrykt 2231
Wojciech Wrzecionkowski

From https://www.facebook.com/RotaryPolska

I have been in personal contact with the president of the Rotary Club of Warsaw and got the same information from him.  This is also in response to the Rotary club of Lviv asking for medical supplies to their local hospitals less than 48 hours ago.  The polish guys work both with this as well as with helping refugees coming across the border.

Added:  Another way to give money:    https://paypal.me/rotarywarsaw

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2022, 10:59:22 AM »
It's encouraging to see the mustachian response! Keep it up!

Peony2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2022, 12:04:16 PM »
Our family will be donating at least one day's salary as well.  Both my spouse and my parents were displaced by previous Soviet aggressions.  Regardless as to how well they assimilated in the US, they experienced lifelong pain associated with the loss of their life as they knew it.  My soul aches for what the Ukrainians are going through and at the same time I am so very proud of their resolve. 

Blackeagle

• Bristles

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2022, 02:41:21 PM »
I’m in.  There’s a local group collecting money where I live, so may donate to them.

Peony2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2022, 02:46:50 PM »
Thank you, Other Jen, for the tip on World Central Kitchen.  We split our donation between that group and CARE.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2022, 03:23:08 PM »
I donated to CARE this morning.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2022, 05:46:51 PM »
Just donated to World Central Kitchen.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2022, 06:07:25 PM »
If you want to help equip Ukrainians with things like body armor and night vision Come Back Alive does that with information on how to donate here.

The acquaintances I have on the ground in Ukraine say that the best thing you can do is to call/write your elected officials. There still isn't a western embargo on Russian oil or gas. Exxon is still operating in Russia.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2022, 07:03:44 PM »
BBC just had the CEO of care.org on. Really compelling stuff. I feel pretty helpless, and its heart breaking to watch the coverage. I hope our donations can do some good.

"CARE is raising money for its Ukraine Crisis Fund, which will provide immediate aid including food, water, hygiene kits, support services and direct cash assistance.

The humanitarian organization aims to raise $20 million and help at least 4 million Ukrainians. It says it will prioritize women and girls, families and the elderly."

CARE.ORG

I donated a couple days ago to CARE. Having worked in a conflict area in the past, I started with donating to them because I know they have deep infrastructure already in place.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2022, 07:31:38 PM »
I just donated to Come Back Alive and Direct Relief, specifying the Ukraine crisis. Our next donation will be to CARE.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2022, 11:14:55 PM »
I donated to the UN Refugee Agency -- https://give.unrefugees.org/220224ukr_genemr_d_4720/?

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2022, 11:17:28 PM »
I was really moved when I read about World Central Kitchen, which has a team on the ground in Poland and is providing hot meals to the thousands of refugees crossing the border from Ukraine. According to Charity Navigator, it has a 4-star "exceptional" rating, and 85.7% of donations go directly to such programs.

Thanks for sharing this. And shoot, I wish I had known about charitynavigator.org before I just gave to the Un Refugee Agency which has a somewhat lackluster score.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2022, 09:22:03 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread.

My husband and I just donated to the Red Cross appeal for Ukraine.    The situation is so heart-breaking. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 10:49:55 AM »
Donating to World Central Kitchen through my DAF.  There's about 220 work days in a year, right?  I'm retired so need to do the math of one "work" day.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2022, 12:06:00 PM »
Donating to World Central Kitchen through my DAF.  There's about 220 work days in a year, right?  I'm retired so need to do the math of one "work" day.

Nice, yeah that sounds about right.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2022, 12:08:07 PM »
If you want to help equip Ukrainians with things like body armor and night vision Come Back Alive does that with information on how to donate here.

The acquaintances I have on the ground in Ukraine say that the best thing you can do is to call/write your elected officials. There still isn't a western embargo on Russian oil or gas. Exxon is still operating in Russia.

I tried to donate to come back alive and army sos because they support the troops in the action. But I didn't know how to follow the bank transfer instructions.  Is that something you have to call your bank in order to do?

And yes, not instituting an embargo on Russian oil is complete bs. All other sanctions are just for show if you aren't going to shut down oil.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 12:10:14 PM by wageslave23 »

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2022, 12:18:24 PM »
I donated to the International Rescue Committee since my work is matching donations there.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2022, 01:32:38 PM »

I tried to donate to come back alive and army sos because they support the troops in the action. But I didn't know how to follow the bank transfer instructions.  Is that something you have to call your bank in order to do?

And yes, not instituting an embargo on Russian oil is complete bs. All other sanctions are just for show if you aren't going to shut down oil.

I was able to successfully donate by clicking on the fondy.eu link and using my CapitalOne Mastercard. The transaction went through no problem and immediately showed up as pending in my online banking. You can use Google Chrome to translate the page (right click and select translate if you need to). The amount is in UAH (Ukrainian hryvnia).

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2022, 01:49:51 PM »

I was able to successfully donate by clicking on the fondy.eu link and using my CapitalOne Mastercard. The transaction went through no problem and immediately showed up as pending in my online banking. You can use Google Chrome to translate the page (right click and select translate if you need to). The amount is in UAH (Ukrainian hryvnia).

Thanks!

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 02:06:38 PM »

CARE.ORG

I donated a couple days ago to CARE. Having worked in a conflict area in the past, I started with donating to them because I know they have deep infrastructure already in place.
I donated to CARE also.

https://my.care.org/site/Donation2?df_id=31074&31074.donation=form1&mfc_pref=T?utm_medium=search&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=c3_fy22_ongoingads&s_src=172222UCF000&s_subsrc=google&&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Paid+Search_Google+Paid_Ukraine-Russia_Intent_Brand_Phrase-Match&utm_term=care+ukraine&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3-yQBhD3ARIsAHuHT66T66kCjbxGNBJ1vLlOD9fICzQR7kX9im9VLmMpC4y382oLx4UUqbIaApXvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2022, 04:17:21 PM »
A Ukrainian friend sent this link to send funds the Ukrainian army.   I contacted her to see if she needed money, she told me to give it to the army.   She's stopped making art and is making molotov cocktails now.   Her city is in the front lines but still holding out.

https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsionalniy-bank-vidkriv-spetsrahunok-dlya-zboru-koshtiv-na-potrebi-armiyi?fbclid=IwAR0DYjoVKkYbHEey8BBfb_XP9z5LVxAvmMaIKEZ0fw2UKCS92K_Xz3f_cgQ

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2022, 05:32:29 PM »
Just donated to World Central Kitchen.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2022, 10:45:45 AM »
This article mentions some Ukrainian charities that haven't been mentioned before.  I haven't investigated them, so you'll need to if they are of interest.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/supporting-ukraine/

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2022, 11:25:33 AM »
The Washington Post also has a (free) article with a list of options to help Ukrainians. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/here-e2-80-99s-how-americans-can-donate-to-help-people-in-ukraine/ar-AAUo20D

I saw the bank link to help the Ukrainian army and it's verified:
https://euromaidanpress.com/2022/02/27/verified-ways-to-help-the-ukrainian-army/

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2022, 01:46:10 PM »
Great info. Thanks everyone!

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2022, 01:51:31 PM »

Without fondy, from the US it would be an international wire transfer.  (IBAN transfer)

Fortunately, I still have an account in Ireland.

goodmoneygoodlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Good Money Good Life
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2022, 07:03:23 AM »
My friend donated like .3 ETH to UkraineDAO (Ethereum) and he got airdropped some token that is worth .7 ETH.

Instant karma.

And since the creators of the DAO don't actually need to capitalize the token they're giving away for free, the donation is net positive for them.

Midwest_Handlebar

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2022, 07:00:32 PM »
I booked a few weeks of airbnb stays across the country. Just be sure to check the reviews to ensure your money is going to the right place.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2022, 07:36:42 AM »
A Ukrainian friend sent this link to send funds the Ukrainian army.   I contacted her to see if she needed money, she told me to give it to the army.   She's stopped making art and is making molotov cocktails now.   Her city is in the front lines but still holding out.

https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsionalniy-bank-vidkriv-spetsrahunok-dlya-zboru-koshtiv-na-potrebi-armiyi?fbclid=IwAR0DYjoVKkYbHEey8BBfb_XP9z5LVxAvmMaIKEZ0fw2UKCS92K_Xz3f_cgQ

This is where I sent my donation. Hope it's legit and helpful!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2022, 11:56:51 AM »
I was looking for this info, but thought it was in main thread and missed it. Donated to UNHCR., Which I see is not rated highly :( next time world central kitchen
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 12:01:42 PM by partgypsy »

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2022, 01:10:06 PM »
I was looking for this info, but thought it was in main thread and missed it. Donated to UNHCR., Which I see is not rated highly :( next time world central kitchen

We donated to Care.org earlier, today we're going to make another donation today to World Central Kitchen.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2022, 01:19:29 PM »
While targeted donations of items like medical supplies, diapers, etc. may be welcomed, I would warn against expecting people in disaster zones to be happy to receive your old shoes or stuffed animals. 

https://ideas.ted.com/after-a-disaster-dont-send-toys-or-clothing-send-money-heres-why

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2022, 01:33:04 PM »
Won’t add to the list of good places to donate. We sent $ to the Canadian Red Cross for Ukraine, while our gov’t was matching donations. There are plenty of good options.

But here’s a strategy that was satisfying: we rounded up some stuff we meant to sell online someday, posted it all as “garage sale for Ukraine” and explained all the $ would go to the Red Cross. Priced stuff to sell.
Everything sold in one day, and 2 of 3 buyers volunteered to pay extra “for the cause.”
So now we’re looking for more stuff we don’t need . . . .

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2022, 02:41:45 PM »
A friend of mine booked an Airbnb today for a home in Ukraine that they obviously won't be staying at.  The owner of the place wrote back and thanked my friend.  Apparently the owner is currently using the home to house displaced families, and said that the money from my friend is helping support them in that. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2022, 08:40:27 PM »
Just a heads up to anyone with a Chase credit card - World Central Kitchen is one of the charities eligible for their Pay Yourself Back rewards feature. Basically you make the donation and then "pay" the charge using points, and they give you a higher point value. With the card I have (Freedom Unlimited) I could make a $125 donation and pay it off with 10,000 points, which I'd normally cash out for $100. It might be better with a higher-tier card.

If you're not a travel hacker or if you're not traveling due to the pandemic, this is not a bad way to use up some points.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2022, 06:58:03 AM »
A friend of mine booked an Airbnb today for a home in Ukraine that they obviously won't be staying at.  The owner of the place wrote back and thanked my friend.  Apparently the owner is currently using the home to house displaced families, and said that the money from my friend is helping support them in that.
Some of my friends gave to Airbnbs too, and I think that the title of the following article is clickbait, but on the other hand, they are correct that one doesn't know where the Airbnb owner lives, and there is no obligation of the Airbnb owner to help refugees. 
https://skift.com/2022/03/07/ukraine-bookers-on-airbnb-get-duped-despite-heartfelt-support

It's better to give cash to vetted organizations who will help refugees and the Ukrainian war effort, like the World Kitchen and Ukrainian army as linked by earlier people.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 03:00:08 PM by Poundwise »

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2022, 08:07:17 AM »
Marriott Bonvoy Rewards has an option to donate points to World Central Kitchen.   If you have points that you don't need, or are going to expire because you haven't been travelling, please consider donating them.   

I just did that - we won't use ours before this summer's expiry, so this is an excellent use for them.

Razzle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2022, 04:49:50 PM »
Marriott Bonvoy Rewards has an option to donate points to World Central Kitchen.   If you have points that you don't need, or are going to expire because you haven't been travelling, please consider donating them.   

I just did that - we won't use ours before this summer's expiry, so this is an excellent use for them.

Thank you for the heads up, just did the same.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2022, 04:58:41 PM »

Thank you for the heads up, just did the same.

I found out that Marriott will also match your donation, so it's an even more effective use of points.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2022, 05:12:16 PM »
has anyone done the research into the best charity to provide food/water/meds to people still in Ukraine?

I need to make our donation, and I get confused when istart looking into the possible charities