Author Topic: Does anyone else here buy used eyeglasses frames?  (Read 1344 times)

joshuagraham_xyz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Does anyone else here buy used eyeglasses frames?
« on: January 14, 2020, 03:34:03 AM »
I've been looking for frames @ eBay, and I notice that a lot of them are used.  The sticker price for frames is beyond ridiculous.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: Does anyone else here buy used eyeglasses frames?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »
If I had an average-sized head I might, but I need petite frames and need to try them on before plunking down money so I buy new.  I am gentle with glasses though, my last frames lasted close to 20 years and my new ones I expect will last the same so paying $150 for something I use everyday that seem to last forever isn't a bad deal.

Chris @ Saturday Financial

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 02:35:01 PM »
My wife gets her (new) frames and lenses from Warby Parker. They're not exactly cheap, but they are much more reasonable than most alternatives. They have a great selection, and the quality is nop notch. The one time she had an issue with a pair they sent a free replacement.

https://www.zennioptical.com/ is an even cheaper alternative and the prices are very reasonable. (I can't speak to the quality, but at that price point it's likely worth a try. My wife might even try them out for her next pair.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:40:34 PM by Chris @ Saturday Financial »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 07:33:24 AM »
I wear contacts but put on glasses to read.
 I buy them 10 at a time from the dollar store.
There are always some around when I need them.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 02:04:31 PM »
Bought my last two pairs from Zenni Optical online. $40 for one and $80 for the second. Bifocals. Fit well and the vision quality is the best I have had in 20 years.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »
Wow - used eyeglass frames. I didn't know there was a market for that.
I have a drawer full of quality frames that I can no longer use since my eye operation.
I'll need to check into that, perhaps I can resell some of my expensive designer frames. 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
I also use Zenni Optical, and recently got 2 pairs for $75.

Personally, I wouldn’t gamble on used frames. Glasses are delicate, and generally unfixable beyond replacing a screw. However, I wear my glasses from eyes open in the morning to eyes closed at night, and I get vicious headaches without ‘em. If your use is more casual, your risk with used frames might be lower than mine.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »
My parents use Zenni Optical and they are very happy with the glasses.

When I used to wear glasses (I got Lasik) I bought several pairs of vintage frames at thrift stores and had them fitted with my prescription. The frames were usually less than 5 dollars and they were well made. After my Lasik surgery I donated several pairs of glasses to Goodwill and my vintage frames were in there, still going strong. Just to be clear, when I say they were vintage I mean they were probably from the 50's or 60's.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »
I donate my old glasses to my eye doctor to be distributed to the poor. I imagine someone would be excited to get my prescription as I’m rather myopic.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!