Author Topic: Do you wash your hands after touching the garbage can?  (Read 19666 times)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Do you wash your hands after touching the garbage can?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2019, 06:19:10 PM »
I ALWAYS wash my hands after touching or petting an animal.

Do you?

Yes. I had childhood allergies to my dog, I would break out in hives so was always washing my hands, it has translated to my current life with my cat and dog, but mostly around handling their food, or if they feel dirty.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2019, 07:25:50 PM »
Fuzzy, none of my 3 kids did anything you mentioned.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2019, 11:45:08 PM »

Am I just being a little OCD and germophobic?

Yes

Or are they all gross?

Yes

Seriously, though, I used to be much a much worse germaphobe so I feel like I can relate.  If it's my personal trash, it doesn't bother me because I don't touch it with dirty hands in the first place.  So the outside is clean.  But watching someone handle raw chicken/fish and then touch their can?  Gross. 

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2019, 01:34:00 AM »
Your cell phone probably has way more germs than your trashcan. Do you wash your hands after touching your phone?

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2019, 05:40:57 AM »
Yes I wash my hands but I do not have a lid on mine to not have to do it very often. When I change the bag or if I choose to try to push the trash down a bit then yes I wash them afterwards.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »
Yes I realize restaurants (and pretty much everywhere else) are full of pathogens and people not following good hygiene practices and that also grosses me out so I just do what I can to avoid what I can.

"Flora" and "pathogens" were  the first two words that came to mind the first time I saw photographs of this grotesque wildman who hasn't bathed in 60 years. I've never seen hands so filthy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:57:54 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2019, 08:27:07 AM »
I think you are freaking yourself out by obsessing over other people's actions. OCD.

We constantly have husband/wife conversation about how grossed out we are every time we see someone do it,

This is what makes me feel it is obsessive for you.

Constantly might be a little hyperbolic.  We have conversations about it every time we have a get together with friends/family and witness the behavior we consider gross.  Afterwards it's more like "...so did you notice your mom cutting strawberries, then grabbing the trash can and opening it, then proceed to cut strawberries and touch everything in the kitchen with dirty hands?  Yeah, me too" or "did you notice our niece go fill that bird feeder (that has bird shit on it) then come in without washing her hands and start rummaging through the chips? Yeah, me too" or "did you notice your BIL touching raw pork, then touching the trash can lid, then touching literally everything else in the kitchen?  Then all the other relatives touching the same trash can lid and potentially spreading trichinosis and salmonella around? Yea, me too.  Gross, especially because the garbage has a god damn foot pedal so you don't even need to touch it!"

The stuff that I'm scraping into the garbage can just came off of my plate.  How does it suddenly get so disgusting when I was just eating it?   I scrape into a plastic bag, which only sits in my kitchen for a couple of days.   I wash my trash receptable out several times a year just because (rarely is there anything visible to wash off).

In public, yeah, I wash my hands a lot.  I wash my hands immediately when I come in from having been in the outside world.  I wash after using the bathroom.  I wash before cooking.  I wash if I've touched anything that feels gross.  In my opinion, that is enough.

So yes, I do think you are a bit OCD and over estimating your risk from germs.   A bacteria free world also kills the good guys that keep our skin, and our digestive systems in good working order.

Yea the stuff I'm scraping into the garbage just came off my plate, but also there are scraps from breakfast, and last night's dinner, and dinner 3 night's ago, and band aids, and used Q-tips, and a dirty pee diaper, and packaging that contained raw meat, and snot rags. 

I commend all of you on not generating any type of gross garbage whatsoever, it's truly impressive. 

However I never see other people wipe their own trash down.

Did you ever think that perhaps people are wiping the trash can down WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE GUESTS OVER?

The only reason I'm going to do a bunch of cleaning while I have guests over is if it's my parents (who are in a different category of guests) or something happened to make a mess. Even then, depending on what it is, I may just shove it out of sight. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't being done.

No, it's visibly gross during my visit.  Not only that but I see people gross their hands up by touching raw meat, or blowing their noses, then touching the trash can.  It's definitely dirty after that.  Even if it appears cleans and freshly wiped down I just assume it's gross and would rather wash my hands just for peace of mind.  Same rule with a toilet.

I ALWAYS wash my hands after touching or petting an animal.

Do you?

Yes.  Animals are fucking gross. 

OP, you're going to absolutely die inside once your baby is mobile and licking the floor or finger painting with his/her own shit. Now might be a good time to practice mindful meditation and start to unclench a bit.

Oh he already is and is doing all sorts of gross things.  I'm fully aware I live in a biological world and I can't avoid all germs, and I know that my son doesn't know any better.  He doesn't know you shouldn't lick a shoe, or lick the garbage can, or stick your bare hands into a shitty diaper.  But I feel like fully grown adults should know this stuff so I guess it bothers me a lot more when they do it. We also take him to the play ground, which I know is a cesspool and probably has more microbes crawling on it than my toilet does, and there is no way to stop everyone in the family from ingesting them during our time there.  Such is life, but I'd still prefer not to intentionally lick everyone's garbage can.

Your cell phone probably has way more germs than your trashcan. Do you wash your hands after touching your phone?

I wipe my phone down on a regular basis.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »
^

Okay, yeah, of my garbage was filthy and my relatives had no understanding of how to handle raw meat, I would wash my hands a thousand times around them and not eat their cooking.

What you describe is not at all typical in my world and I would absolutely be disgusted.

I would also say something.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2019, 10:10:00 AM »
Coming in late on this, but I wash my hands a lot.  Some might say obsessively.  But I've got kids (they're gross) and we had too many rounds of stomach flu one year.

So -
I wash my hands after touching the trash.
I wash my hands after touching any public doorknob.
I don't actually touch public doorknobs if I can avoid it.  I use my sweatshirt.
I don't use my hands to get paper towels out at work, I use my elbow.
I don't use my bare hands to open the work fridge or get coffee, unless I will wash after.
(that's a little OCD as I'm the only woman in my building and almost have a private bathroom)
I wash my hands after using the mouse or keyboard in a conference room

I'd be grossed out also.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2019, 10:55:30 AM »
I don’t think you will be able to make your relative’s wash their hands as frequently as you think they should, even cases where they blantantly should.

Can you aim at changing public food contamination? Like, the rule in the house is to pour any bulk food into bowl before touching.  No reaching into bag.  I think this is basic politeness at work with shared food.

That way you are not addressing their hygiene but how they follow rules when they are at YOUR house.  Yeah, at their house everything you might eat was touched by unwashed hands.

I know that’s not he advice you were seeking - you seem to only be polling for similar souls.  But your niece reaching into YOUR bag of chips at YOUR house definitely bothered me.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2019, 11:03:31 AM »
Coming in late on this, but I wash my hands a lot.  Some might say obsessively.  But I've got kids (they're gross) and we had too many rounds of stomach flu one year.

So -
I don't actually touch public doorknobs if I can avoid it.  I use my sweatshirt.
I don't use my bare hands to open the work fridge or get coffee, unless I will wash after.
(that's a little OCD as I'm the only woman in my building and almost have a private bathroom)

I'd be grossed out also.

If I use a public  restroom I put a paper towel over  the door knob as I open the door to exit.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2019, 11:21:29 AM »

So -

I'd be grossed out also.

If I use a public  restroom I put a paper towel over  the door knob as I open the door to exit.

Yea.  I try not to turn off the faucet or touch the door handle on the way out of a restroom.  Having a restroom door open inward is a design flaw.

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2019, 11:28:36 AM »
No but I was my hands every time I touch a public restroom door... so...

But, then there are the bathrooms with air/heat hand dryers and no towels. I like to have a paper towel to open the door,  if the trashcan is not near the door, I throw it were the trash can should be! By the door.
 RE: our trash can has a foot pedal, but we only put paper/plastic products, no garbage. We have a plastic quart container with a plastic bag (like you put vegetables in at the grocery store) that we put garbage in, I even made a heavy lid to keep any insects out.  It sets on the sink. The bag is tossed at least every other day if not every day. Ya, I'll wash my hands after that. I also wash if I pet a dog or a cat.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2019, 03:28:55 PM »
You throw your garbage on the public restroom floor where you think the garbage can ought to be??

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2019, 04:47:20 PM »
No but I was my hands every time I touch a public restroom door... so...

But, then there are the bathrooms with air/heat hand dryers and no towels.

https://www.usatoday.com/.../hand-dryers...bathroom-bacteria...hands.../511723002/
Apr 12, 2018 - Hand dryers suck in fecal bacteria and blow it all over your hands, study finds ... Study: Restroom hand dryers may be spreading germs.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/.../the-bacterial-horror-of-the-hot-air-hand-dryer-201...
May 17, 2018 - However, petri dishes exposed to hot air from a bathroom hand dryer for 30 seconds grew up to 254 colonies of bacteria (though most had from 18 to 60 colonies of bacteria). ... As well, the researchers found minimal amounts of bacteria on the nozzles of the hand dryers.

I'm leery of hot-air hand dryers.

When toilets are flushed some of the fast-flowing flush water agitates and mixes with the filthy toilet water. Some of this mixture becomes a bacterial aerosol that  is sucked into the intake plenum of hot-air hand dryers.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:52:28 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2019, 04:52:55 PM »
Everything on Earth is covered in a layer of shit and we're all going to die.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2019, 05:30:53 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/.../hand-dryers...bathroom-bacteria...hands.../511723002/
Apr 12, 2018 - Hand dryers suck in fecal bacteria and blow it all over your hands, study finds ... Study: Restroom hand dryers may be spreading germs.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/.../the-bacterial-horror-of-the-hot-air-hand-dryer-201...
May 17, 2018 - However, petri dishes exposed to hot air from a bathroom hand dryer for 30 seconds grew up to 254 colonies of bacteria (though most had from 18 to 60 colonies of bacteria). ... As well, the researchers found minimal amounts of bacteria on the nozzles of the hand dryers.
Both your links are broken!

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2019, 06:41:16 PM »
Bacteria are everywhere and they live all over you and you'll never be clean. They've colonized you and you're full of them. There is no escape.

Your immune system does a fantastic job of keeping the bad ones in check. Unless you have a compromised immune system or work in healthcare or the like, there's no real reason to wash your hands after just handling a trash can, public or otherwise. There's no reason to avoid a bathroom door handle. In fact, many are made of self-sterilizing metals like copper or its alloys and are thus far cleaner than your paper towels.

Give your immune system something to do. Don't go drinking sewage or anything, but you don't need to deploy the soap every time you touch a thing.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2019, 07:01:02 PM »

This thread reminds me of:

Would you pick up a penny from the floor of a public restroom?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/would-you-pick-up-a-penny-up-from-the-floor-of-a-public-restroom/

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2019, 08:16:48 PM »
A good friend of mine came for dinner and before he closed the lid to the ketchup he wiped it with his finger, licking it and repeated it and then closed the lid. I was repulsed.  I considered throwing the bottle away but it was huge and newly opened. After he left I scrubbed the top.  My garbage can foot pedal no longer worked so retired it after 15 years and bought a new one. 

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2019, 11:09:28 PM »
After touching meat and using a bathroom, or general poop exposure, yes. Garbage cans, no I don't usually find a reason to do much touching. Garbage bags, no I don't bother.

Our outdoor garbage can experiences temperatures from 0-150 across a year, extreme desiccation except during the odd rain, and an intense barrage of ultraviolet radiation pretty much all the time at a moderately high altitude with clean dry air. Unless there is actual shit blocking the UV and retaining moisture, I think the edges of the garbage can which I am most likely to contact probably outperform most drinking water treatment systems when it comes to killing 99.9+% of bacteria. There could be inorganic contaminants I guess.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2019, 12:31:31 AM »
A good friend of mine came for dinner and before he closed the lid to the ketchup he wiped it with his finger, licking it and repeated it and then closed the lid. I was repulsed.  I considered throwing the bottle away but it was huge and newly opened. After he left I scrubbed the top.  My garbage can foot pedal no longer worked so retired it after 15 years and bought a new one.

Those tops are removable. You can put them in the dishwasher sanitary cycle.  Ask me how I know.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2019, 06:46:25 AM »

So -

I'd be grossed out also.

I do the same thing no point in washing them otherwise thanks to all of the dirty bastards that walk out after doing their business and never wash their hands.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2019, 07:20:22 AM »
Sounds like the solution is to take the lid off of your wastebin. Then no-one has to touch anything unless they're taking out the trash.

We have a winner.

Yes.  The winner would be my beagle . . . who can now freely rifle through the trash for fun things to chew.  :P

CarolinaGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2019, 07:48:57 AM »
Absolutely.   Without a doubt.  YES!!!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2019, 09:40:26 AM »
Everything on Earth is covered in a layer of shit and we're all going to die.

+1

swinginbeef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2019, 10:01:48 AM »
I wash my hands when I'm in the shower or when they are noticeably dirty enough that a quick rub on my jeans won't work. And even then, it's usually only a rinse without soap. I'm very pro germ. Embracing day to day germs, in my mind, is similar to vaccination. But I'm also the guy who would absolutely pick up a penny in a public bathroom or eat something that fell on the floor (not of a public bathroom) or tear off the moldy corner of the bread slice and continue making/eating a sandwich.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »
I wash my hands when I'm in the shower or when they are noticeably dirty enough that a quick rub on my jeans won't work. And even then, it's usually only a rinse without soap. I'm very pro germ. Embracing day to day germs, in my mind, is similar to vaccination. But I'm also the guy who would absolutely pick up a penny in a public bathroom or eat something that fell on the floor (not of a public bathroom) or tear off the moldy corner of the bread slice and continue making/eating a sandwich.
Me too, except I don't pick up anything smaller than a nickel.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
Thanks for the tip dragon. The last few posts were pretty disgusting. One reason at a potluck is that I only eat food made by people I know with standards.

JohannaP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
Hi- ID doc here thought you might find the following useful:

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html - So I am with you on the handwashing with food prep and when handling fecal material (aka diapers)

Although on a more anecdotal note most serious infections I treat are due to the patient's inability to fend off infection rather than oral exposure eg. Salmonella via raw chicken.  Although we do see food poisoning everyone once and awhile S. aureus infections and UTIs from E. coli are by far are largest offenders and have little/nothing to do with hand washing, also just remember it is the bacteria's world we just live in it ;)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2019, 07:54:01 PM »

So -

I'd be grossed out also.

I do the same thing no point in washing them otherwise thanks to all of the dirty bastards that walk out after doing their business and never wash their hands.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I know I've posted this story before, but one time I was at a buffalo wild wings with coworkers.  I went to bathroom to take a piss, and some guy was having a nasty sounding shit in the stall.  He finished up, flushed, and walked straight out of the bathroom without washing.  Gross.  Then on my way back to my table I passed him, and he was eating wings, wrist deep in sauce and licking his fingers.  What a fucking animal. 

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2019, 12:17:27 PM »
You throw your garbage on the public restroom floor where you think the garbage can ought to be??
No, as I said, I throw the paper towel I used to open the door, where the waste can should be, near the door. That's my protest, put the trash can near the door people.
 Or, yes, if you want to call my paper towel garbage. I'm fine either way. :-)

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2019, 12:25:52 PM »
I was with the family waiting at a light near a closed gas station, in the driveway was a food trailer selling some type of hot food. We watched one of the workers walk out behind a trash bin, take a piss, and walk back and start serving food.
Not appealing at all!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2019, 12:31:33 PM »
No, as I said, I throw the paper towel I used to open the door, where the waste can should be, near the door. That's my protest, put the trash can near the door people.

Just to confirm . . . you're throwing used paper towel garbage on the floor of bathrooms that you use (as some kind of protest)?   Has your 'protest' has ever been effective?

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2019, 12:39:36 PM »

Just to confirm . . . you're throwing used paper towel garbage on the floor of bathrooms that you use (as some kind of protest)?   Has your 'protest' has ever been effective?

Yeah, it just seems you are making a situation more unpleasant for other customers than actually trying to exact change.  If you wanted to, you could talk to the management of the business.    If protests are not approached in a constructive manner it’s really more of a tantrum.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »

That's really a dick move.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »

In case you haven't caught on yet, pretty much everyone is going to see this as you being a dick. In your mind this may be a protest but it has about a 0% chance of making a difference. Really it sounds more like a justification for doing what's easiest for you.

Maybe you could pick the can up and move it if you feel so strongly about it? Just be sure to was your hands after :) Actually, It's probably not that dirty so whatever.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2019, 02:23:16 PM »

That's really a dick move.

Yeah as someone who uses the paper towel method* if there’s no trash can I just take it with me and throw it away outside the bathroom.  Then I take a shit on the floor.  You know, in protest.

*protip if they don’t have paper towels use one of those disposable seat covers.  In protest.

FallenTimber

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2019, 07:30:00 AM »
Just throwing this out there...
http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/06/12/washing-your-hands-too-much-bad

I’ve never quite understood the desire to wash your hands so frequently. I’m sure my frequency would send some to the mental ward. But living on a ranch, feeding and handling livestock, getting kissed by dogs, butchering animals, tracking wildlife by squeezing their poop, gutting and field dressing elk, going to the bathroom outdoors, cooking meals over the campfire, all without any access to water (let alone soap)... seems to have strengthened my family’s immune system.

The garbage can is the least of our worries.

bobcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2023, 12:47:17 PM »
Hey Frugalnacho, 

The answer is yes for me and major YES for my wife.  I always washed my hands whenever I touched  anything.  Door handles outside, I would use a paper towel or napkin (and well you know bathroom specially).  Going inside using door handles was ok but after washing my hands using paper towel to exit. And this was before it became customer for establishments to put a garbage can by the door. I assume enough people started throwing their towels on the floor that prompted them to do so.   Back to garbage, yes, we wash our hands, and in response to one of the comments here about being a germaphobe ( while the person was preaching about sustainability and plastics) I would say the garbage cans used not be automated and would be manually lifter by the sanitation engineers onto the truck.  That entailed their touching and possibly rubbing their hand and other parts of their clothes onto the handles.  It would not take a leap into the realm of genius to contemplate the various types of bacteria and viruses and fungi and whatever else that are in play here. So, back to the comments made by the anti-germaphobes,  I don't wash my hands when pick up the phone, but my phone is not in touch with the hundreds of other people’s garbage which could include diapers, sanitary used products,  NOSE hair,  toe nails,  rotten meat that might even have further bacteria breeding on it,  various vermin that might be contaminated and "hanging out and partying in the garbage dump and taking a ride in the truck too...   I can go on.  You get the picture.  So this would have been the manual loading of the garbage, however now adays it's more mechanical and less chance of contaminants but still that mechanical arm sometimes misses the mark and sanitation engineer will have to intervene manually, along with the fact the garbage bin does touch the main container on the truck.  Either way , this is we see it and I'm shocked when I saw you make you point as you did because   YEAH,  why don't people wash their hand after the touch the garbage cans.  I saw my neighbor put the garbage in then immediately rubbed his face.    Stay safe.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2023, 03:44:53 PM »
Absolutely! But I have learned how to slide out my inside the cabinet trash can with my toes (touching the underside of the sliding rack) so I don't have to touch anything that could be dirty.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2023, 03:51:20 PM »
Hi- ID doc here thought you might find the following useful:

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html - So I am with you on the handwashing with food prep and when handling fecal material (aka diapers)

Although on a more anecdotal note most serious infections I treat are due to the patient's inability to fend off infection rather than oral exposure eg. Salmonella via raw chicken.  Although we do see food poisoning everyone once and awhile S. aureus infections and UTIs from E. coli are by far are largest offenders and have little/nothing to do with hand washing, also just remember it is the bacteria's world we just live in it ;)

I'm with you, Doc.  I think we have an amazing immune system that depends on bacteria staying healthy on and around us.  Obsessive hand washing is not only probably not necessary, also probably not helpful.  Anyone else who feels the need to do that is fine by me.  I'd appreciate not being treated as disgusting if I don't keep with your own standards, though.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2023, 04:01:39 PM »
We have an open garbage can and recycle can under the sink, so no touching of can require, I thought this was pretty standard practice... but I have heard that people joke it's a Dutch person thing to do?  I don't wash my hands after I open the under-under-the-sink cabinet to throw something away.  I do wash my hands after taking out the trash.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2023, 04:07:35 PM »
We have an open garbage can and recycle can under the sink, so no touching of can require, I thought this was pretty standard practice... but I have heard that people joke it's a Dutch person thing to do?  I don't wash my hands after I open the under-under-the-sink cabinet to throw something away.  I do wash my hands after taking out the trash.

Same. Open trashcan and I only wash my hands after taking out the trash (i.e. opening the garbage can outside). Oftentimes that's in conjunction with changing a dirty diaper which is the impetus for emptying the trash can in the first place. Definitely washing my hands after that.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2023, 04:22:08 PM »
Hey Frugalnacho, 

The answer is yes for me and major YES for my wife.  I always washed my hands whenever I touched  anything.  Door handles outside, I would use a paper towel or napkin (and well you know bathroom specially).  Going inside using door handles was ok but after washing my hands using paper towel to exit. And this was before it became customer for establishments to put a garbage can by the door. I assume enough people started throwing their towels on the floor that prompted them to do so.   Back to garbage, yes, we wash our hands, and in response to one of the comments here about being a germaphobe ( while the person was preaching about sustainability and plastics) I would say the garbage cans used not be automated and would be manually lifter by the sanitation engineers onto the truck.  That entailed their touching and possibly rubbing their hand and other parts of their clothes onto the handles.  It would not take a leap into the realm of genius to contemplate the various types of bacteria and viruses and fungi and whatever else that are in play here. So, back to the comments made by the anti-germaphobes,  I don't wash my hands when pick up the phone, but my phone is not in touch with the hundreds of other people’s garbage which could include diapers, sanitary used products,  NOSE hair,  toe nails,  rotten meat that might even have further bacteria breeding on it,  various vermin that might be contaminated and "hanging out and partying in the garbage dump and taking a ride in the truck too...   I can go on.  You get the picture.  So this would have been the manual loading of the garbage, however now adays it's more mechanical and less chance of contaminants but still that mechanical arm sometimes misses the mark and sanitation engineer will have to intervene manually, along with the fact the garbage bin does touch the main container on the truck.  Either way , this is we see it and I'm shocked when I saw you make you point as you did because   YEAH,  why don't people wash their hand after the touch the garbage cans.  I saw my neighbor put the garbage in then immediately rubbed his face.    Stay safe.

What a random thread to necropost...

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2023, 04:33:35 PM »
well - it depends on what I am doing and going to do.

I generally wash my hands after everything/changing tasks - but sometimes I stack "dirty" activities and only wash after completing the stack. Especially pet activities

I always wash when entering the kitchen to do anything food or clean dishes related, or before moving laundry from washer to dryer or out of dryer.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2023, 04:46:15 PM »
@bobcat - I’m genuinely curious why on earth you decided that this four year old necropost was what you wanted to make your first contribution to the forums…

Edited: fixed autocorrect (necropsy -> necropost)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 06:07:00 AM by nereo »

bobcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2023, 10:46:45 PM »
@nereo   First I had to look up necropsy ( ?means autopsy).  Then another fresh prince of "blogsville" used the word necropsy.  I had to look that up as well. ( such genius in the village) , as I had no idea there was a word for it.  Surley you jest nereo ?  Isn't it obvious that I'm not from "blogsville".  If i had broken some sacred "blogisher" rule , please accept my apology. I dont' have 12000+ posts to my name.  But seriously, I was not even remotely interested in blogging today ( or any day for that matter) nor this site. It was a specific search about a subject that i had been thinking about.  Seeing the great "doctor" at the dentists using the same glove as he fully puts his hand into the garbage can to deposit some blood soaked cotton balls, and immediately puts his "doctor" hand back in my mouth.  Or seeing the "doctor" at the health clinic do the same thing.  And again and again wondering why people are surprise at the high rate of bacterial infections.  and death.   I'll not bore you further, but it was a specific search and when i saw the thread i was curious.

srrb

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2023, 11:20:14 PM »
I quite enjoyed this thread -- including the strange turn at the end.

My answer is no.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2023, 04:44:05 AM »
@nereo   First I had to look up necropsy ( ?means autopsy).  Then another fresh prince of "blogsville" used the word necropsy.  I had to look that up as well. ( such genius in the village) , as I had no idea there was a word for it.  Surley you jest nereo ?  Isn't it obvious that I'm not from "blogsville".  If i had broken some sacred "blogisher" rule , please accept my apology. I dont' have 12000+ posts to my name.  But seriously, I was not even remotely interested in blogging today ( or any day for that matter) nor this site. It was a specific search about a subject that i had been thinking about.  Seeing the great "doctor" at the dentists using the same glove as he fully puts his hand into the garbage can to deposit some blood soaked cotton balls, and immediately puts his "doctor" hand back in my mouth.  Or seeing the "doctor" at the health clinic do the same thing.  And again and again wondering why people are surprise at the high rate of bacterial infections.  and death.   I'll not bore you further, but it was a specific search and when i saw the thread i was curious.

Necropost means to find an old thread that's been dead for years and then reply to it and bring it back to life.

It's very unusual for a new member to make their first post in the financial community on an old, dead thread from years ago about washing hands.

Necroposting without a good reason is generally frowned upon in forums because it makes it look like the thread is new when it pops up in our feeds, and then people start responding to old posts from years ago without realizing that the thread has been dead for years.

That's why people are commenting on your choice to necropost.

As for nereo's use of the word "necropsy" that was likely an autocorrect from "necropost."