Poll

Do you shop at Wal Mart?

Yes.
334 (56.1%)
No.
261 (43.9%)

Total Members Voted: 579

Author Topic: do you shop at walmart?  (Read 58408 times)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
Re: do you shop at walmart?
« Reply #200 on: October 06, 2019, 03:27:33 AM »
I shop at our local Walmart weekly. We do pretty much all of our grocery shopping there. Their prices are usually better than Target and pretty much always lower than the grocery chains near us. The national brand stuff is no different than what you would get at another store and most of their store brand stuff is pretty good too. I buy Great Value brand bread, eggs, cheese, and snacks and have never had any quality or food safety issues. They are usually significantly less expensive than their name brand counterparts too.

I also find Walmart has a good selection. We've been surprised by what we have been able to get at Walmart. Lemon curd? Yup. Sushi rice? Yes. A few years ago, I was looking for ramps so I could change the oil on our cars by myself. None of the auto parts stores in my area actually carried them. Walmart had them in stock and on the shelf. They have the best price on 5qt. jugs of motor oil in my area too. When I needed a new spark plug for my lawn mower, they actually had it in stock and for a lower price than what other places were charging online. I use a fluoride mouth wash that is hard to find in stores. Walmart has it. Walgreens is the only other place in my area that stocks it and they charge $3 more per bottle.

My one complaint about Walmart is they often have trouble keeping things in stock consistently. There have been items that I have seen out of stock for weeks and sometimes months before they get replenished. That's usually when a more expensive store will get my money.

I know it's cool to shit on Walmart, but they have a staggering selection and competitive prices. There are certain things I would probably never buy there like their house brand shoes/clothing, but any national brand items that aren't going to be any different if I bought them from somebody else, I will happily buy from Walmart. I'm not going to flush money down the toilet because I'm afraid of what people will think of me if I tell them I buy stuff at Walmart. Sure, a lot of the people that shop there look like they gave themselves a neck tattoo with a sewing needle and a Bic pen, but if I can consistently save money and time, I will shop among them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:38:22 PM by mies »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: October 06, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »
No, because I have no need and it wouldn’t save me money. (I no longer shop at Target for the same reason.)

According to the local grocery flyers, produce is far cheaper at the local independent produce market, and everything else tends to be comparably priced or cheaper at Aldi or Costco. The few items that can’t be purchased at one of those three stores are available at Meijer, a big-box store headquartered in my state.

I imagine my response would be different if I lived in an area with fewer options.

SavinMaven

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: October 06, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »
With FT work and multiple small children at home, it helps a lot to be able to get cereal and light bulbs, milk and a Halloween costume all in the same trip. I used to shop at Target, but the one nearest us has noticeably swung toward stocking internal brands and often being conveniently out of other brands (including band-aids, dishwasher detergent, etc and I tend to stick to a specific type of each of those.) Therefore, I've recently made Wal-mart my main "re-stock" place. The one near us is in an affluent area and tends to be clean and well-stocked. I'm not too concerned about their labor practices, as I used to work there myself and saw none of what they're so often accused of. Granted I was a teenager at the time, but I'm not sure their jobs are meant to be careers, for most of the staff anyway.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: October 06, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
This is a great discussion.  Short answer, yes, occasionally, but it's not convenient for me and I don't need much that they sell. 

My history with Wal-Mart has evolved over time.  When it first came around (~mid 90s in the midwest) going to WM and Cub Foods was a semi-regular family outing in middle school on a Friday night.  It was great!  So many things in two places (this was before they sold groceries). 

Fast forward a few years and moving to a rural area where Wal-Mart decimated several locally owned grocery stores within a year of expanding to become a Super Wal-Mart.  At this point I was fully against shopping there and remained so for many years.  I was against their sprawl model and what I felt it was doing to small businesses and communities.  I also did not live close to a WM for many years, so it wasn't a big deal.  Even when I moved to within a reasonable distance of a WM, I still didn't shop there for personal reasons. 

A few conversations over the years started to tilt my thoughts a little bit.  One guy I worked with told me that WM fills an incredibly important need for poor people.  They were providing goods at prices lower than they had ever experienced.  And when they went into groceries, this effect was magnified.  So it filled an important role for a significant portion of the population. 

I still don't care for their low wages and poor treatment of their employees.  It's been documented that part of orientation at (some) WMs is how to apply for government assistance, which is absolutely crazy.  However, they have been pressured by profits and outside groups to create some useful change within the company.  At one point in time (maybe 10 years ago??) WM was one of the largest producers of solar energy.  When WM decides they want to offer "organic" milk and produce, it's a massive gain for those industries.  Of course, the definition of "organic" does not mean much by USDA standards today, but it is certainly a little bit better for the planet (at least I hope so.)  Others have mentioned how they can have a positive effect on things like packaging and reducing waste which is also a benefit.  Today though, I prefer to spend my money at Costco and do go to WM occasionally.  I've bought cargo pants there for work pants (scrub bottoms) and maybe fishing tackle (all the small tackle shops are gone). 

I'm going to put out a likely unpopular opinion too....  All of this "I don't like the atmosphere"  has as much to do with the big box experience, the fluorescent lighting, the big parking lots as it does being uncomfortable being around poor people.  I see it in someone close to me who is from a very not-poor area.  This person does not like going to discount grocery stores (like I do) or Wal-Mart and I straight up think it's because they are uncomfortable being around poor people.  It's very convenient to say this when you have a variety of options (i.e. have money), but for the vast majority of people, shopping at Wal-Mart is their only option either by geography or by economics.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:31:44 PM by ice_beard »

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: October 06, 2019, 12:59:55 PM »
I drove by an Amazon warehouse under construction the other day.  Just a steel box at the moment, but it's HUGE.  And the endless row of loading bays seems a bit inhuman.  I wouldn't want to work there already.

So it's harder to support a company like that when you see where the sausage is made.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: October 06, 2019, 02:02:27 PM »
I shop at Walmart because it is the most affordable grocery option in my rural town. We have a supermarket that is about $1-$2 more per item, on average, and then we also have a Natural Grocers (hilarious because I live in a tiny town) but that is obviously much more expensive. The Walmart here has a decent selection of organic and conventional produce, and the only thing I really don't buy there is meat...I tend to stock up on that at Costco when I'm in the city. I will say I absolutely hate the experience of shopping at Walmart, ours is pretty run down and usually crowded/chaotic...but I'll deal with it for the savings on groceries.

ETA: I also happen to know about 10-15 people personally in my town that are employed by Walmart. They are given opportunities, benefits, etc that most other jobs (waitressing/temp type things) don't offer here...so I think they actually provide a lot of decent jobs for people in my specific area (rural western mountain town)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:04:15 PM by mountain mustache »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2019, 03:42:12 PM »
I use WM when I travel for work. WMs seem to vary by location. Some are very nice, some are not as nice. Whether I shopped there regularly would depend.

I really don't like the big box retailer experience no matter whose store it is. Would rather shop a normal grocery store. Shop other stores for other things. Means no single shopping trip is that long b/c I'm not an enthusiastic shopper entertained by the process. I'm a get in and get out kind of guy. When DW is along I'm more patient.

We don't shop that often except for groceries.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2019, 05:20:12 PM »
Yes.  It's not my first choice for groceries, but it's the closest.  Hence, it's the most convenient place to go if I've forgotten something.  It's also reasonably cheap for boxed/non-perishable goods.

If I'm doing a planned shopping trip, I'll generally go to Wegmans.  For meat/fish/fresh produce, I very seldom buy from Wal-Mart, as the quality and selection at Wegmans is substantially better.

Shopping at Walmart has changed for the better for me since they installed good self-service scanners.  It used to be that I could only stomach going in once a month because of having to wait in endless lines to check out.  Now with the self-service scanners I'm able to stop in for whatever I want and check out immediately. This has been a game changer for me and now I'm in Walmart about once a week. 

This is also very true.  I used to avoid my local Wal-mart like the plague because they chronically understaffed their registers, and you'd have to wait in line for 15 minutes to buy a tube of toothpaste because they never had enough cashiers relative to the volume of customers.  The addition of self check-out made the experience much more efficient and has resulted in me going there significantly more often.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:24:55 PM by js82 »

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2019, 02:43:08 AM »
Yes.  It's not my first choice for groceries, but it's the closest.  Hence, it's the most convenient place to go if I've forgotten something.  It's also reasonably cheap for boxed/non-perishable goods.

If I'm doing a planned shopping trip, I'll generally go to Wegmans.  For meat/fish/fresh produce, I very seldom buy from Wal-Mart, as the quality and selection at Wegmans is substantially better.

Shopping at Walmart has changed for the better for me since they installed good self-service scanners.  It used to be that I could only stomach going in once a month because of having to wait in endless lines to check out.  Now with the self-service scanners I'm able to stop in for whatever I want and check out immediately. This has been a game changer for me and now I'm in Walmart about once a week. 

This is also very true.  I used to avoid my local Wal-mart like the plague because they chronically understaffed their registers, and you'd have to wait in line for 15 minutes to buy a tube of toothpaste because they never had enough cashiers relative to the volume of customers.  The addition of self check-out made the experience much more efficient and has resulted in me going there significantly more often.

The addition of self checkouts is part of what swayed me too. You can pretty much walk in and walk out with what you need now even when it is crazy busy.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2019, 08:03:04 AM »

The addition of self checkouts is part of what swayed me too. You can pretty much walk in and walk out with what you need now even when it is crazy busy.

I think our Walmart has about 14 self checkouts, which is great. The most efficient/quick way to shop in my town. The only bummer is that when the whole town loses internet (about 3-4 times a year..small town internet problems) nothing works and we all have to stand in line at a traditional register.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2019, 08:20:22 AM »
I put no because I personally pretty much never go there. The only times I have gone in the last ten or so years was once because they had the cheapest available mini fridge, and the other time was because my friend needed something from there so we went and I ended up grabbing a couple things that were well-priced. There are no walmarts near me, and I do all of my grocery shopping within walking distance. I also find they are way too big and I don't like the way they are organized.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »
I grew up in SW Missouri, which is near the original epicenter of Wal-Mart, so we always shopped there when I was young.  I generally don't go to the full sized Wal Mart anymore, but I do go to the "Neighborhood Market," which is a stand alone store with just the grocery and pharmacy.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2019, 09:27:30 AM »
No. Gross products, gross atmosphere, gross politics.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2019, 09:34:59 AM »
Only for the order online drive through pick-up groceries. It's free at WalMart and Kroger charges $5 for Click List. My WalMart just started offering delivery and I may try it to see.

My go to grocery store is Aldi but there are some things we are brand specific on and I'll order that through WalMart and then drive through to pick up.
If I need random kids stuff or things for the house and I cannot order it on Amazon I will go to Target.

I hate shopping. Going inside a WalMart is awful and I will avoid it at all costs. So depressing. It is the epitome of everything I dislike about the United States.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »
This 3 year old thread got revived this past week and gave me false hope that Sol had come back with a new post.

afox

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2019, 10:23:43 AM »
No. Gross products, gross atmosphere, gross politics.

Compared to what Kroger? Amazon? Whole foods?

Ive been to some dilapidated walmarts and some nice ones. Some dont have fresh groceries or very limited fresh groceries kind of like a target. So, its hard to compare your walmart other walmarts. I think thats why there are such huge differences in opinion here. My walmart has very good fresh produce selection at very good prices, much cheaper than the alternatives (kroger, safeway, whole foods) and same or better quality. Some of you appear to be biased by popular culture that walmart is a place where poor dirty white people shop for cheetos and guns.

leomatthewadams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »
I prefer Target and Amazon over wallmart.

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »
Shopping at Walmart is the most mustachian thing I do.  The bike path across the street takes me to Walmart, if we need something small around the house I'll load up the kids in the bike trailer and head to Walmart.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: October 09, 2019, 02:47:40 PM »
This 3 year old thread got revived this past week and gave me false hope that Sol had come back with a new post.

I agree.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2019, 05:34:33 PM »

I agree.

I wondered why this old post showed back up!  Haha

I think Sol retired a few months before me.  I find myself posting a LOT less since leaving work

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2019, 06:01:28 PM »
I do, but it's mostly because I'm not willing to fight Atlanta traffic to get to the nearest Costco.  When I lived within 10 minutes of a Costco in my old town, I only went to Wal-Mart to buy things I couldn't find anywhere else.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2019, 06:08:58 AM »
No. I am closer to Target. But for food I shop at a regular grocery store, which is even closer yet.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2019, 07:55:07 AM »
I shop at Walmart because it is the most affordable grocery option in my rural town. We have a supermarket that is about $1-$2 more per item, on average, and then we also have a Natural Grocers (hilarious because I live in a tiny town) but that is obviously much more expensive.

You need to be selective at Natural Grocers. Their house-packaged grains, flour, nuts, dried fruit, spices and such are very reasonably priced around here. Better than HEB. Their organic produce is roughly equivalent to HEB organics - better on some items, worse on others.

Meat, dairy and especially packaged food are expensive.