Poll

Do you own a smartphone?

Yes, I do.
196 (63.4%)
Yes, but my business/employer pays for it or part of it.
48 (15.5%)
No, I don't.
17 (5.5%)
No, but I plan to get one in the foreseeable future.
5 (1.6%)
No, but I own a dumb phone (flip, pocket...etc)
43 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 307

Author Topic: Do you own a smartphone?  (Read 26361 times)

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Do you own a smartphone?
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
I got a used iPhone a few years ago that I traded with a friend for firewood. Still have it.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »
I had to answer... when I first read this, I thought it said "Do you own a sousaphone?"

(I do NOT own a sousaphone... but my son has a school-loaner tuba in my guest room)

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2016, 10:26:35 AM »
After my last dumb phone died on me in about 2011 or 2012 I got a samsung smart phone, scaled down my phone data plan once the contract was up and took the phone with me to Ting once I was free from my carrier. I hope to keep the total lifetime cost of the phone down by keeping it for as long as I possibly can before replacing it. I dont need the newest greatest largest device, just one with some basic functionality that can do email, gps navigation, and printer capabilities (bluetooth, or network). I find I keep my phones 2-3x longer than my peers do.

Also, I dont use my smart phone as a media consumption device, I never pay to download music, apps, etc. as a rule.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »
I am 58 and do not have a cell phone.  I used to have one but then realized that it was for everybody else's convenience not mine.

I got my cell phone for MY convenience, not other people's. I go out a lot, so it makes no sense to have a phone that can only be used when I'm home, that can't access email, and that can't send or receive texts.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »
I have one, but it is a hand me down from my son.  I'm not even sure what it is - maybe a Samsung?   It is always off - I carry it strictly for emergencies, and to use the wifi when we are travelling.   I have a $10/month plan that gives me basic minutes/data, and that is all I need or want.

Mr. SP has a flip phone, and can barely figure out how to use that.  o_0

sunday

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »
I have a smart phone, and it is one of those things I will not give up unless I absolutely had to. It's made my life a lot easier, and I enjoy using it.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2016, 09:23:02 PM »
Yes, everyone in my family has a smart phone, teens included.  We don't use tons of data, and we buy used phones, not the latest and greatest.  But the convenience of having smart phones is well worth the price for us. 

We tend not to be earlier adapters of technology, but nor are we proud Luddites.  My inlaws were in the latter category, and they managed to get themselves further and further out of touch with their grand children, their friends and society at large because of their dogged insistence not to take advantage of computers and technology.  I don't want to go there.

funcomesfirst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »
I"m a 38 yr old smartphone owner!  I use it mostly on wifi but keep data for Google Maps (where are all the Android folks here...I heard a lot of iPhone conversation!).  My DH & I both had company paid plans until I took a year off to be a new mom & haven't found a company to pay the bill since returning so I switched to Republic Wireless and now pay <$20/month. Without a "family plan" Verizon is a tough place to hang out.  Anyway, I also signed up for the "rebate" plan and so while I'm on the $25/mo plan I have a fun challenge for myself to stay under the 1G as much as possible. I love it.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2016, 07:22:52 AM »
Yeah, there's only so much that I'm prepared to use on wifi outside of home.

If I'm using my smartphone to do anything related to mobile banking, I'd much rather use mobile data than some potentially sketchy wifi.

I find a smartphone very useful, but I'm kinda tempted to go to a basic phone for a little while to see if it helps me break a few habits. :)

I was thinking earlier, I used to spend $30 a month on mobile credit in my pre-smartphone days. My current plan is $50, and I could quite easily get it to $40, or even $30 if I cut my data use a bit.

So far I'm 22 days into the billing period and I've used 22% of the total data quota. Maybe I could go to the next tier down for next month :)

EXLIer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2016, 07:28:50 AM »
I voted yes, but I should've selected that my business pays for it.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2016, 08:10:37 AM »
I'm required to either have an iPhone or a firm-provided Blackberry.  The firm-provided Blackberry would save me money, but I lose a ton of efficiency trying to use it instead of an iphone, so I have an iphone.

Firm will pay $200 for your phone upgrade once every two years if you do a 2-year contract (not sure how the policy is changing now that providers are moving away from the 2-year concept, but I think we can still get 2-year contracts because of the firm relationship with AT&T and Version).  Also pays $50/month for the internet access for the phone, which is just about the bare minimum to keep up with enterprise data use if you do any amount of traveling (and therefore don't always have wifi access). 

funcomesfirst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »
I was thinking earlier, I used to spend $30 a month on mobile credit in my pre-smartphone days. My current plan is $50, and I could quite easily get it to $40, or even $30 if I cut my data use a bit.

So far I'm 22 days into the billing period and I've used 22% of the total data quota. Maybe I could go to the next tier down for next month :)

Do it!  I may be weird, but it's a fun challenge for me to keep my data usage low.  As you mentioned, it's helped me control some of my bad phone-usage habits as well.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
I had a dumb phone for emergency use. When emergencies started happening every other week, my spouse and I got refurbished HTC Android phones. They are several releases behind the current one. I use email, texting, and maps, and the GPS. It's certainly not a necessity, but it's very convenient. We have a cheapish plan (Puppy Wireless, I think)--can't remember the cost, but it's not a lot.

And I also enjoy whiling away spare minutes with solitaire. I admit it.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2016, 03:45:27 PM »
I would also add that my employer pretty much expects that I'm reachable on days when I'm off, but they do not provide any sort of smartphone subsidy.  I would guess that they can't require it, but not being reachable would have implications for promotion, etc.

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:28 AM »
     My brother is a drug addict. My mother just died from alcoholism, I see that same level of addiction in smart phone addicts. Ever see someone who's smart phone is lost or damaged and they have to go without one for a brief period of time. They are frantic with worry. They panic about their lose of contacts. Their "everything" was in that phone.
    The smart phone becomes the only thing they focus on, they think they are living but they are not. They sacrifice their relationships and their family to the phone and are in complete denial of the impact that staring at a small screen is doing to the people who love them.
    I've seen adiction close up in my life. When the smart phone appeared and I looked around at the park and saw all those parents completely ignoring their children. Forsaking them to be social on Facebook. I saw addiction. If this is you. Put the phone away, uninstall apps, keep a backup of "your life" recognize the impact that handheld device is having on you, choose the people who are around you that need you.
     I'm a 44 year old woman. Dumb phone when I use a phone. Living in real life.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
I've seen adiction close up in my life. When the smart phone appeared and I looked around at the park and saw all those parents completely ignoring their children.

Yawn.  Get off the high horse.  When we watch over our kids at the park, we're coddling and sheltering them and preventing them from learning to play.  When we sit on the bench and let them play and screw around on a smart phone, we're "ignoring" our kids.  Enough already. 

When you tell us you've seen a lot of addiction in your life, and you see it in smart phone users, there's a term for that.  It's called "projecting."

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
When you tell us you've seen a lot of addiction in your life, and you see it in smart phone users, there's a term for that.  It's called "projecting."

No it's not, it's called Nomophobia, it's a legitimate psychological problem, and it impacts more than half the population of mobile phone users.

Since you apparently like to be nasty about the topic and you've played armchair psychologist against someone else who finds the usage patterns of these devices by so many troubling, perhaps you're in denial of your own addiction since you don't see the problem that quite a number of others do, including clinical psychologists.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:33:23 AM by I.P. Daley »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2016, 11:44:22 AM »

No it's not, it's called Nomophobia, it's a legitimate psychological problem, and it impacts more than half the population of mobile phone users.

Since you apparently like to be nasty about the topic and you've played armchair psychologist against someone else who finds the usage patterns of these devices by so many troubling, perhaps you're in denial of your own addiction since you don't see the problem that quite a number of others do, including clinical psychologists.

Does it exist?  Sure.  Can it be diagnosed by someone hyper-sensitive to addiction based on a passing viewing of someone's behavior in a park?  No. 

Congrats on diagnosing me while never having observed me at all, however.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »

Just giving you a taste of what you did to Desiree. Not very fun, is it?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2016, 12:05:46 PM »

Just giving you a taste of what you did to Desiree. Not very fun, is it?

Meh, doesn't bother me.  But when you come into a thread announcing "I am very familiar with addiction" don't be surprised when people discount your claiming to see it everywhere.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2016, 12:41:44 PM »
Meh, doesn't bother me.  But when you come into a thread announcing "I am very familiar with addiction" don't be surprised when people discount your claiming to see it everywhere.

The only problem is, she's not the one wrong about smartphone addiction being a problem, you are.

Kindly get off your own high horse, buddy.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2016, 12:48:18 PM »
I have a flip phone with pay go from PTEL Mobile. It averages out to about 10$ a month with talk and text. The only reason I keep the cell phone is because wife. Otherwise I'd rather get rid of it and keep a landline and answering machine. I don't really like being reachable when I'm out of the house. Don't get me wrong- I think smart phones are neato, but I don't need it. I think a lot of people don't actually need one, but to each their own. You'll have to pry my dumb phone from my cold dead hand...

My wife's plan is about 64$ a month with her smart phone. I don't think it makes her more productive or efficient with what she uses it for, but she enjoys using the internet, photos, checking email, Facebook etc. It has come in handy when I don't have an actual map with me, but with the number of times this problem has come up doesn't justify the expense for me (600$ phone). She also brings it on trips which again can be handy, but with the annoyance of her checking work emails in Europe, I'd have rather had her leave it home.

Fastfwd

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2016, 05:49:33 AM »
The only problem is, she's not the one wrong about smartphone addiction being a problem, you are.

Kindly get off your own high horse, buddy.

I would argue that maybe not all addictions are problematic. Is it wrong to be addicted to human interaction? Physical exercice? A smartphone is a tool that can be used to make life better for yourself and others or to isolate yourself into your own technobubble. I have friends with whom I know to put the phone in a pocket and forget about it. Other friends we just put them on the table and we know it's OK to look at them if something comes up. There are even situations where I'll be with a friend; both on our phones and we are still somewhat together; think of it like watching TV together.

I am addicted to my smartphone in the sense that I miss it if I am without it. But my life and the life of those around me if made better by what I can do with this tool. Communications, calendar, bookshelf, music, ...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2016, 06:14:10 AM »
Addiction is a state characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, despite adverse consequences.

By definition, all addictions are problematic.

Bumperpuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2016, 04:35:20 PM »
I bought a used Iphone 5 and case for $100 off of my housemate when he upgraded to a 6.  Work pays the $40/month text/talk/data plan.

The smart phone provides me with GPS, internet connectivity, and various other useful things while also replacing my mp3 player, camera, alarm clock, wall calender, and flashlight.  It's super useful and I plan to replace it with another smart phone when it dies.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2016, 04:50:04 PM »
Iphone 6 -  I purchased but work pays for it - enough that it incudes the charges for my spouse's phone!

Handy thing for directions.  There are some interesting apps.  I use one (Giaia GPS) to download maps and then to mark tracks for adventures in the mountains - backcountry skiing, climbing, etc.   You can then export to Google Earth and see your route.  Also has summary stats for elevation gained, etc.   Very cool really, and I'm not an apphound so I'm assuming there are a number of other practical uses.

Plus there is the brewery finder!

FreeWheel

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
I've never had a cell phone of any type. When people find out they are often shocked. "Even homeless people have a cell phone" I was once told! I'm surprised at how many people told me they wish they didn't "need" their phone.

I have to be honest, I do find the astounding round the clock dependance on the darn things to be troublesome. Maybe someday I'll join everyone!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2016, 06:04:46 AM »
I bought a smartphone on Thursday.

It's been switched off since then. I turned it on half an hour ago to start putting my contacts in. Manually... couldn't tell you if there's an upload function or not.

It's now currently off again.

One day soon enough before Easter I'll sign up for a talk/text/data plan.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »

It's been switched off since then. I turned it on half an hour ago to start putting my contacts in. Manually... couldn't tell you if there's an upload function or not.

You could record contacts on Gmail or iCloud and sync them online if you wish. At least then they're backed up if you lose/break the phone :)

There's one other practical benefit that smartphones have over feature phones for me. When I used to own feature phones, I used to have issues with dust getting into the phone regularly. I remember constantly opening my old Nokia E51 to get rid of dust behind the screen, and had the joystick on my Sony Ericsson T68i (still miss that phone) repaired several times due to it malfunctioning due to dust.

Because there's no physical keyboard, there's fewer places for dust to get into a smartphone.

ptgearguy

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2016, 11:16:39 PM »
I have a couple year old Blackberry z30. I got it before I made my transition to smarter living. I had an expensive plan for about 63 a month and since down graded for a 15 dollar a month plan. Unlimited texting and 500 minutes that should last me a year or more. I also have 1 gig of data that I use in a pinch usually for directions. I have barely used any of that and I have been on this plan for 3 months. I will use this phone until it dies. I have an old iphone 4 that I used for 3 years that is now used with my music player.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2016, 11:44:17 PM »

You could record contacts on Gmail or iCloud and sync them online if you wish. At least then they're backed up if you lose/break the phone :)

There's one other practical benefit that smartphones have over feature phones for me. When I used to own feature phones, I used to have issues with dust getting into the phone regularly. I remember constantly opening my old Nokia E51 to get rid of dust behind the screen, and had the joystick on my Sony Ericsson T68i (still miss that phone) repaired several times due to it malfunctioning due to dust.

Because there's no physical keyboard, there's fewer places for dust to get into a smartphone.

That won't happen because I look after my things. Cannot for the life of me understand why people are so careless with their phones... broken screens, dropping it on the ground, in water etc... (don't shoot me for that comment!)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!