Author Topic: Do you look poor to people?  (Read 122304 times)

Oscar_C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Do you look poor to people?
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »
Only if I want to

I want to look rich to attract gold diggers, then look poor to disappoint them. :)

In all seriousness, I try to look poor when I'm not working.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2014, 08:35:30 AM »
Just curious,  a lot of people on this site seem to want to pay off their mortgage. 

Could you do the math for me and show me how paying off a 3% loan makes more sense than investing the money at close to 10%?   

Truly,  I am baffled by this?   Is the emotional appeal so great that people are willing to give up millions of dollars in investments?

I really just don't get it?    I know MMM has done this.  Is that is what is driving this idea of "pay off the mortgage."     For me that is the equivalent of paying your rent 20 years in advance.

I think you're looking for this thread:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/paying-off-mortgage-early-how-bad-is-it-for-your-fi-date/

Thanks for the link!

TurtleMarkets

« Reply #252 on: July 22, 2014, 08:44:48 AM »
When I was driving a old car that I needed to use the passanger door to get in. People thought i was in tons of debt. Now most the time people dont notice because I dont say anything about saving or being cheap. I dont want to be veiwed as poor or having finaical problems. I think it will hinder my career and social standing. Both I use to get to FI faster. it would be counter productive to look poor.

FrenchGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2014, 09:21:38 AM »
I think we do to some people. My son was at camp a few weeks ago with a good friend of his. He asked if I would give him extra change so that he could buy junk food at the vending machines, and I said no. His friend's mom ended up giving him money! This has happened a few times already. I don't think they realize that we do this because we want to, not because we have to.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2014, 11:05:51 AM »
In all honesty, I love looking poor, because it amuses me when I surprise people.  I went to the credit union today wearing sneakers, an old pair of cargo shorts, and a promotional t-shirt I got for free.  The clerk was kind of dismissive of me at first, until I brought out the absolutely massive check I was depositing.  Then, her attitude changed very quickly and suddenly they had all kinds of offers for me.  When I got back to my bicycle, I started laughing because the look of shock on her face was priceless.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:54 AM »
Probs. I'm sure we do, we just really don't care. Our car is so ancient (it's a '96) and beaten up that I know people think there must be something wrong with us (well, they're right, just not for the reasons they expect!). Our clothes are OK thanks to the multitude of cheap thrift stores in greater Boston, but then there is the fact that we cut our own hair...

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »
Probs. I'm sure we do, we just really don't care. Our car is so ancient (it's a '96) and beaten up that I know people think there must be something wrong with us (well, they're right, just not for the reasons they expect!). Our clothes are OK thanks to the multitude of cheap thrift stores in greater Boston, but then there is the fact that we cut our own hair...

I've seen your pics on your blog and you guys don't look poor at all. You must be doing something right. Maybe you're just posting pictures of all the good stuff? Anyway, love the blog, keep it up.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
We must not look poor enough.  Wife's car was broken into overnight, so they must have thought we had something.  Bet they were disappointed though.  Nothing was taken (since there's nothing in there to take)...

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »

I've seen your pics on your blog and you guys don't look poor at all. You must be doing something right. Maybe you're just posting pictures of all the good stuff? Anyway, love the blog, keep it up.
I'm also a blog fan.  Frugal hound is too cute.   

Do we look poor?  I don't know, but I don't really care. 

Do we fit in?  Yes.  We live in Silicon Valley.  We're surrounded by t-shirts and hoodies.  My husband has to dress up a little for his job (shirts with collars and sometimes buttons!), so he looks pretty classy.  I'm a scientist, so I can wear whatever I want.  Life is awesome.
Wow, thanks you guys! I really appreciate the kind words on the blog! Almost all of our stuff is used--clothes, furniture, dog, car--over the years we've honed our thrift/garage sale/side of the road/Craigslist skills and been able to find nice stuff for great prices. We also do it all ourselves (home improvements, haircuts, stinky dog washing).

I think it's interesting that I'm comparing myself to our chic, urban yuppie neighbors (with brand new clothes & cars) and I think we look poor whereas if I objectively step back, we look rich (even though all our stuff is used). Isn't that fascinating? All about one's perspective--a good reminder for me! Thank you!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »
I'm in Silicon Valley, too. Everyone dresses casually. The cars in the parking lot at work are another story. Teslas, Jags, Mercedes, BMWs, giant fancy SUVs . . .
 I don't think my 97 Saturn makes me look poor--just cheap. :)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »
I'm in Silicon Valley, too. Everyone dresses casually. The cars in the parking lot at work are another story. Teslas, Jags, Mercedes, BMWs, giant fancy SUVs . . .
 I don't think my 97 Saturn makes me look poor--just cheap. :) nostalgic!
Fixed it! 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »
 I don't think my 97 Saturn makes me look poor--just cheap. :)

Might look better than my 2001 mountain bike with a milk crate attached to the rear rack and a front fender held on by zip ties.  You're practically traveling in luxurious style compared to me!  :)

Although when I get to work, I dress up in a nice button down shirt and proper pants, which is way more formal than anyone else.  I like to keep them guessing.

(The "fancy" work clothes are a hold over from my last job.  If I have them, I might as well wear them.)

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
Well, my co-workers are always giving me free lunches left over from meetings. They all like talking about my 250-square foot studio apartment (I live in Silicon Valley so rent is ridiculous otherwise). I'm also biking to work and everywhere else now (though my bike is around $500). I might sound lower-income to people, but I don't dress in rags or anything.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2014, 12:06:41 PM »
Well, my co-workers are always giving me free lunches left over from meetings. They all like talking about my 250-square foot studio apartment (I live in Silicon Valley so rent is ridiculous otherwise). I'm also biking to work and everywhere else now (though my bike is around $500). I might sound lower-income to people, but I don't dress in rags or anything.
I also receive a lot of leftovers.  I assume the admins gave the food to me because they know I'll eat it (and say thank you). 

Biking to work is akin to bragging around here.  If you live close enough to bike to work, you've got a HUGE house (or you're in excellent shape). 

LatteLaura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2014, 12:52:57 PM »
Great thread! 

For working out I often wear a decade-old pair of yoga pants that I have accidentally gotten a little bleach on.  I took a black permanent marker and colored over it.  Recently I just cut them to be capri-length after tearing one lower leg up on my bike.

Hubby often gets crap from his co-workers for driving his 1996 Toyota Tercel with a door-handle that mostly broke off one winter when we lived in North Dakota.  I don't understand why his co-workers think they need to tell him he should get a new car. 

Fleacircus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »
I have thrift store clothes, old minivan, cheap haircut, and 5 kids.  So I imagine I look poor.  Last summer we were camping and there was torrential rain in the morning, so we packed up and went to a nearby restaurant for breakfast.  We were all pretty bedraggled, so much so that a kind lady gave the server a 50% off coupon and asked her to apply it to our meal instead of her own.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »
I also receive a lot of leftovers.  I assume the admins gave the food to me because they know I'll eat it (and say thank you). 

Biking to work is akin to bragging around here.  If you live close enough to bike to work, you've got a HUGE house (or you're in excellent shape).

Yeah, I get 1-2 free lunches a week!

Biking to work is really a lifestyle choice. The problem in SV is people change jobs all the time, but don't change where they live due to owning a house. That's the nice thing about renting - you can change where you live with your job.

I just cannot understand people around here who commute 45 minutes+. That's your life you're driving away! My commute via bike takes 15 minutes max. For some reason, I enjoy having that time to myself, not cooped up in a car all day.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
 I don't think my 97 Saturn makes me look poor--just cheap. :) nostalgic!
Fixed it!

Thanks, that sounds sooo much better!

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »

I'm also a blog fan.  Frugal hound is too cute.   

Do we look poor?  I don't know, but I don't really care. 

Do we fit in?  Yes.  We live in Silicon Valley.  We're surrounded by t-shirts and hoodies.  My husband has to dress up a little for his job (shirts with collars and sometimes buttons!), so he looks pretty classy.  I'm a scientist, so I can wear whatever I want.  Life is awesome.
Wow, thanks you guys! I really appreciate the kind words on the blog! Almost all of our stuff is used--clothes, furniture, dog, car--over the years we've honed our thrift/garage sale/side of the road/Craigslist skills and been able to find nice stuff for great prices. We also do it all ourselves (home improvements, haircuts, stinky dog washing).

I think it's interesting that I'm comparing myself to our chic, urban yuppie neighbors (with brand new clothes & cars) and I think we look poor whereas if I objectively step back, we look rich (even though all our stuff is used). Isn't that fascinating? All about one's perspective--a good reminder for me! Thank you!
Move to the West Coast!  The yuppie neighbors wear free t-shirts from work and other clothing items purchased by their mothers.  There are some pretty ridiculous cars though. 

Your comment about your dog being used made me laugh and say "aw" at the same time.  Frugal hound is retired!  She should enjoy the life of luxury that she is living now.
Frugal Hound is definitely enjoying the lazy and luxurious life of her early retirement. We just took a walk and she's now taking nap #10 of the day :)

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
I am starting to worry that my carefully planned out capsule of business clothes is making me look poor at work because I added in a different top in a new color (that I found at Goodwill) and a coworker commented "oh, that's nice, you are wearing something new!". I only have a few outfits that I mix and match and wear every week.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
I am starting to worry that my carefully planned out capsule of business clothes is making me look poor at work because I added in a different top in a new color (that I found at Goodwill) and a coworker commented "oh, that's nice, you are wearing something new!". I only have a few outfits that I mix and match and wear every week.

I have 10 shirts, which lasts me 2 weeks, and I just rotate through. Dress code is just a box to check, IMO. You aren't getting paid for your wardrobe, assuming you don't look like a hobo.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »
I think there's something to be said about someone who puts a lot of effort into looking their best. If that means they can rotate through their existing wardrobe, then so be it. But I am a firm believer in "dress to impress". Not so much because I care about anyone thinks, its just that there are always contacts out there you might meet and your appearance has much to do with someone's initial opinion of you.

That said, I think I have a good sense of style and update my wardrobe occasionally. I certainly don't buy clothes once a month or anything, but I'm not against buying something that makes me look and feel better.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
10 years ago, I was a stay-at-home-mom. Though not yet a Mustachian, I  was always thrifty and frugal. At the time I had a newborn, 2 year old and 3 year old. One day I noticed the local bank was offering $100 to open a new account. Our state tax refund had just arrived in the mail, and we had been refunded about $1200 that year. I told my husband since we didn't "need" the money for anything immediate, I'd go 'stache it in this bank for few months to earn the $100 bonus and promotional interest rate. He told me to go ahead and do whatever I wanted.

Well I rolled into the bank that day pushing a stroller, wearing an old, saggy T-shirt (likely stained with baby vomit) and sweatpants. My 2 and 3 year olds were all sticky with mussed up hair, and likely prominent kool-aid stains emblazoned on their top lips.

First thing the banker says to me after I show her my 'Open a New Account and Receive $100' coupon is, "Ma'am, you do realize the account requires a $500 minimum deposit to qualify for this promotion?"

"Uh-huh" I reply as I grab a free dum-dum sucker, unwrap it, and shove it in my mouth.

Next she says, "Will you be adding direct deposit?"

"No" I said (stay at home mom remember). "No job to direct deposit anything."

I grab a few more dum-dum suckers and pass 'em out to my kids, who by now are running around playing tag.

She then tells me, "You know you can direct deposit your state aid checks, Ma'am."

WTF!

"What makes you think I'm receiving state aid?" I ask her - pulling the sucker out of my mouth - making a loud "POP" sound.

So perhaps I looked a bit "white trash" that day with these three messy babies running around shitting themselves -  but jeeze. To say that to someone - wow.

Anyway, she goes on to say she noticed the check I was clutching in my fingers had the state seal at the top and naturally assumed.....

I inwardly found this hilarious but acted offended then said, "It's my state refund check dumbasss!"

Ok, no, I didn't call her a dumbasss but the look in my eyes sure said it!

Anyway, she apologized. But here's the kicker, after I got all enrolled, and had to give over my SS#, she comes back several minutes later, tripping over herself saying I qualified for their "Platinum Level Visa Card" would I like to get one of those today as well?

"Hell No!"

I took my $100 bonus, plus deposit, and cashed it all out six months later. 

Assholes.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
10 years ago, I was a stay-at-home-mom. Though not yet a Mustachian, I  was always thrifty and frugal. At the time I had a newborn, 2 year old and 3 year old. One day I noticed the local bank was offering $100 to open a new account. Our state tax refund had just arrived in the mail, and we had been refunded about $1200 that year. I told my husband since we didn't "need" the money for anything immediate, I'd go 'stache it in this bank for few months to earn the $100 bonus and promotional interest rate. He told me to go ahead and do whatever I wanted.

Well I rolled into the bank that day pushing a stroller, wearing an old, saggy T-shirt (likely stained with baby vomit) and sweatpants. My 2 and 3 year olds were all sticky with mussed up hair, and likely prominent kool-aid stains emblazoned on their top lips.

First thing the banker says to me after I show her my 'Open a New Account and Receive $100' coupon is, "Ma'am, you do realize the account requires a $500 minimum deposit to qualify for this promotion?"

"Uh-huh" I reply as I grab a free dum-dum sucker, unwrap it, and shove it in my mouth.

I grab a few more dum-dum suckers and pass 'em out to my kids, who by now are running around playing tag.

She then tells me, "You know you can direct deposit your state aid checks, Ma'am."

WTF!

"What makes you think I'm receiving state aid?" I ask her - pulling the sucker out of my mouth - making a loud "POP" sound.

So perhaps I looked a bit "white trash" that day with these three messy babies running around shitting themselves -  but jeeze. To say that to someone - wow.

Anyway, she goes on to say she noticed the check I was clutching in my fingers had the state seal at the top and naturally assumed.....

I inwardly found this hilarious but acted offended then said, "It's my state refund check dumbasss!"

Anyway, she apologized. But here's the kicker, after I got all enrolled, and had to give over my SS#, she comes back several minutes later, tripping over herself saying I qualified for their "Platinum Level Visa Card" would I like to get one of those today as well?

"Hell No!"

Assholes.

Awesome story. And you made a nice 20%ish return on your money. Very nice.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »

WTF!

"Hell No!"

Assholes.

HAHAHAHA! Excellent!

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »
Heh, tomorrow I am slated to pick up some logs for firewood that someone was giving away on craigslist.  When I called about the wood, I initially got an answering machine that referenced Edward Jones (urp!).  The house is in one of the most expensive towns in my area.  Considering that I will be pulling up in my pickup and then heading to the shooting range to shoot a few rounds of trap immediately after I get the wood (and dressed for it), I have a funny feeling that I may get the stink eye.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »
I don't look poor that for sure, but more like out of place youth. I love feeling comfortable, but also have affinity for sports. The best way to hit these birds with one stone is to wear sports clothes most of the time. I have many name brand products bought from company sponsoring hometown U. I like buying the off season stuff for $5-$10 when I was a freshman in college. Since I am still reasonably young, I just appear to have wander too far from my mom. Except the part where I am actually quite tall. I guess I don't know how I look, but outside of work functions I bet it's not impressive.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: August 20, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
Heh, tomorrow I am slated to pick up some logs for firewood that someone was giving away on craigslist.  When I called about the wood, I initially got an answering machine that referenced Edward Jones (urp!).  The house is in one of the most expensive towns in my area.  Considering that I will be pulling up in my pickup and then heading to the shooting range to shoot a few rounds of trap immediately after I get the wood (and dressed for it), I have a funny feeling that I may get the stink eye.
Brewer, you might consider moving southward. In Texas if you shoot trap you probably have money, and likely that money goes back a couple generations. (Actually that's probably increasingly true everywhere, now that ammo's so expensive. A career in finance is a good way to pay for a sporting clays habit...)

My car until last year was from early '80, almost a decade on me but "a classic", and my clothes were from high school. I didn't replace any of it by choice - they wore out on me. It's been an expensive year. The new car's not as nice, even if it's newer, and the clothes cost more but are less well-made. I cannot wait until I don't have to dress up unless I want to, but I feel a little awkward about the ugly car. I suppose it's less about the money projection and more about the implication of poor taste.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »
Yeah, I figured that out about trap when I went for the first time last week.  I bought an inexpensive new semi-auto shotgun in black plastic for dragging through the underbrush in search of small game/birds.  I did not want to spend a lot of money and I wanted something functional.  I get to the trap range to try it out and get some practice ahead of season opening and realize that all the other dudes there (in the middle of a workday, mind you) are regulars with multi-thousand dollar shotguns.  I heard a few comments about "are you going to shot buckshot with that."  Holy spunk monkeys, the engraving on your gun is a work of art, but STFU.

After coming out of a place with a pointlessly strict dress code (employees were routinely sent home to change for minor infractions), wearing whatever the hell I want is a great thing.  Why yes, I do feel like wearing the "Kum & Go" t shirt and stained cargo shorts, thank you very much...

littlelevel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »
Probably I do, I just buy the cheapest stuff to wear.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: August 21, 2014, 06:54:51 AM »
I've been told I look like a hobo when I ride my bike in to work during the winter, with my mishmash of warm layers of clothes I already have instead of fancy superhero-spandex biking outfits!

Once co-worker told me "All you'd have to do is buy $800~$1200 worth of gear and you'd be alright".. For that price, I'd rather look like a hobo, and pick up a few essential pieces as I go.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »
I don't look poor, but I employ the "buy something good and then wear it into the ground" method.  I'm a very conservative dresser and always have been, and about seventeen years ago I got a Lands End catalog in the mail.  I'd always heard good stuff about the quality of their clothes so I decided to pick out some stuff.  I have sweaters that I bought in my very first order that I still wear today because they look brand new.  LE's quality took a hit when Sears bought it, so I switched to LL Bean.  Same principle, and the stuff never goes out of style.  I've been used as an example of how to dress at my workplace, and I have enough stuff so once in a while something unfamiliar makes an appearance and people think it's new.  Okay!

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: August 23, 2014, 08:21:16 AM »
Yeah, I figured that out about trap when I went for the first time last week.  I bought an inexpensive new semi-auto shotgun in black plastic for dragging through the underbrush in search of small game/birds.  I did not want to spend a lot of money and I wanted something functional.  I get to the trap range to try it out and get some practice ahead of season opening and realize that all the other dudes there (in the middle of a workday, mind you) are regulars with multi-thousand dollar shotguns.  I heard a few comments about "are you going to shot buckshot with that."  Holy spunk monkeys, the engraving on your gun is a work of art, but STFU. ...
Wow, yeah. I just realized due to your reply that firearms are one of the few lingering areas where I absolutely will turn up my nose at cheap and I'm not sure why. I flickered through several rationalizations but I know, intellectually, that it's because I was exposed to exactly that culture the whole time I was shooting. You are so precisely right about that. Not that I approve of enforcing that kind of snobbery, even less so by being rude. I don't think that would fly here.

I'm not sure it'll change what I look for in a shotgun myself, since I could generally care less about engraving unless it was done by someone I know - but thanks for the education. I will indicate that an unadorned wood stock has the upside of getting far less hot in the sun, which is basically an advantage because then you know when your fingers touch metal before the hot metal has irreparably damaged your flesh.

I don't think we stuck out on our range, though, because we had high-quality but low-fanciness firearms and because the kinds of rich that showed up there typically would have fit into this community: old money with no need to show off. For the most part they were friendly and welcoming and glad to see women and kids getting into the sport.

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
« Reply #283 on: August 23, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »
No offense but a lot of the stuff you own that you are pointing out as "not much" or "inexpensive" is way more than I can afford. $80 piece of art from Cambodia?  50" HDTV?  I feel like I'm sort of observing wealthy people acting as if they are slumming when in reality they have a lot of luxury products.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
No offense but a lot of the stuff you own that you are pointing out as "not much" or "inexpensive" is way more than I can afford. $80 piece of art from Cambodia?  50" HDTV?  I feel like I'm sort of observing wealthy people acting as if they are slumming when in reality they have a lot of luxury products.

I'm assuming this was directed at me since I mentioned my $80 piece of artwork from Cambodia and my $400 50" HDTV.  That TV is probably the most expensive thing inside our house (other than our $500 in-wall oven).  Does having $480 to spend on these two items make us "wealthy"?  Most poor people I know spend way more than that every year on cell phones (ours are $0.80 per month for 3).  Maybe we get good value for money so that makes us look wealthy?

Interesting that you picked up on the Angkor Wat temple painting.  It was actually a gift from my brother in law who was visiting his family in the jungle over there near Angkor Wat and so has sentimental value to my culturally Khmer wife.  We also have another $80 painting of similar size sitting in our shed collecting dust.  These paintings would probably sell for $500-1000 in a gallery here (they are huge!) but no one has to know how much it cost in Cambodia. 

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
We must not look poor enough.  Wife's car was broken into overnight, so they must have thought we had something.  Bet they were disappointed though.  Nothing was taken (since there's nothing in there to take)...

I had a 14 year old car broken into. They stole the radio. The radio was 7 years old, the CD player iffy, and it had no real value. Thieves are weird.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »

The 99 Cent Store is great for dairy and produce; Halos were $1 for a 2# bag a couple of weeks ago.   We also have a store in town called the Grocery Outlet which clearances meat and dairy before its "best if sold by" or "use or freeze by" date (i.e. organic cheese for < $2/lb.).    Personally, I don't assume anything about the people who shop at these stores.  Who knows, they might be just like us!!  But the general perception is that they are poor otherwise they'd be shopping at Safeway.
LOL lexie2000! Are you in the Bay Area by chance? My shopping routine is as follows: First, 99 Only Store, next, Grocery Outlet across the street. Last stop is Costco around the corner-ish. That's it. No Safeway at all. If I need produce 'tween trips, I grab it at Sprouts just down the road from the house. Safeway is king around here, but I rarely darken their door. It is useful on occasion, just to see what things cost in a "normal" store. That way, when I'm near a Winco (not very often, alas) I know what to stock up on that I can't find at my regular three.

And  to stay on topic, nah, I don't look poor. I consider it gaming the system to look good without spending as much. I wore a favorite outfit to a Board meeting last week. Got lots of compliments, to which I happily replied, "White Elephant Sale". To my surprise, two people said "Oh we love that sale!". This is how you find frugal friends, grasshoppers, but that's another thread :-)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:30:24 AM by Diane C »

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »
I have thrift store clothes, old minivan, cheap haircut, and 5 kids.  So I imagine I look poor.  Last summer we were camping and there was torrential rain in the morning, so we packed up and went to a nearby restaurant for breakfast.  We were all pretty bedraggled, so much so that a kind lady gave the server a 50% off coupon and asked her to apply it to our meal instead of her own.

HILARIOUS!

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »
Because we are cautious in spending our money, people assume we don't have much.  Happens all the time and even with friends and family members who I know we have ten times their net worth.

BAMxi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2014, 09:22:11 AM »
I actually think I have the opposite problem of looking poor, only because people have funny preconceived notions sometimes. I am in my late 20s, and drive a 2007 BMW 3 series with over 80k miles on it, and people always react as if I've just pulled up in some really expensive ride. The fact of the matter is that I had been keeping an eye out for the right car, and found this one used a few years ago for less than what it was worth (small dealer bought it at an auction and needed to move it from his lot to free up some cash). I paid it off fairly quickly and have been driving it ever since. Now, it's probably worth about $10k, however when it was brand new, it was a $40k car (I paid around $20k, blue book was around $26k). It still drives pretty much like a new vehicle, and I try to take care of it, so it appears like new. Most people can't spot the difference between my "older" body style and the current one, and always tell me how lucky I am to be able to afford such an "expensive" car. The truth is that most of those same people are driving a brand new $35k minivan or camry that they'll be making payments on for the next 5 years or more, which they'll promptly trade in for another one and do it all over again. One of my neighbors bought a brand new Prius recently and was talking to me about how he wished he could afford a car like mine instead. He looked at me like I was stupid when I told him he could have bought a car just like mine for around $10k. I plan to maintain my car as best as I can and drive it until it dies. And I DIY every repair and maintenance item I can on it, and so far it's been a very reliable car (and it gets about 30 mpg on the hwy).

I take a similar approach when it comes to clothes. Being a guy, I can get away with the bare minimum of choices, but I always try to choose the highest quality product for the money. My normal wardrobe is t-shirt/jeans or shorts, but there are several occasions where I have to look professional, too. I have had great luck finding sales at places like Dillards, where they will have 60% off the original price, and then another 50% off that price. I recently bought a nice pair of Docker's khakis for about $8, and some various button up shirts for between $10 and $12. That's almost thrift shop prices for brand new, name brand stuff!

I think, if you have good taste and aren't ever in a huge hurry to buy things, you can project whatever image you want to project, without having to dump a ton of money. I do realize that having a BMW is not the most mustachian thing I could be driving (our other car is a beater 2002 ford taurus with 170k miles, though), but my appreciation for the blog has always been about living a life of luxury on the cheap. I personally feel better about myself when I take pride in my appearance. Not because I care what others think, but because it makes me feel good (and more confident).

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »
Two stories from grad school.  The Hub was once asked to take his food outside the Burger King to eat it.  Admittedly, he was carrying his laundry in a garbage bag at the time.  My clothes were once sneered at by another grad student as "an affectation".  Admittedly he was from Berkley.

We both dressed better for a few years while we worked in the real world.  Better means we shopped at a better Goodwill store.  Now the Hub works for the feds and I am retired.  The world is lucky we wear clothes at all. 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2014, 10:53:36 AM »

I had a 14 year old car broken into. They stole the radio. The radio was 7 years old, the CD player iffy, and it had no real value. Thieves are weird.

My MIL's older Camry was broken into a few years ago.  They stole a bag of groceries, which cost $7.  I hope they enjoyed their pasta and pasta sauce!  Annoyingly, a library book was also in the bag too, so I had to pay to replace it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
The world is lucky we wear clothes at all.

This made me smile!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »
We look presentable at work, formal events, and when meeting potential landlords, and that's about it.

My boyfriend can't participate in "Casual Friday" at work because all of his jeans are too beat up (he tried and was told this) and he's not interested in buying a new pair, since that would be the only thing he would wear it to. We don't do "dressy jeans" - if we go out somewhere formal he wears dress pants and I wear a dress.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
Possibly. My family kept asking how much I was earning, and when I told them they were totally shocked. "Wow, that was a lot more than we thought". Must be because I look and act like someone who doesn't make a lot of money. I took it as a compliment.

RichLife

« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »
Aside from my car, probably not. It's a 2000 vehicle which looks a bit more angular than all the nice rounded cars these days. It's also my first vehicle and people often assumed I bought it when I got my license. It is in fact my first own car, but I've driven company vehicles and a shared car in the past. I do not care however, when people remark upon it I often tout the merits of having a car which consists of mechanical parts rather than all the fancy electronics. Something broken? Remove and replace just that part, often by a second-hand part as my garage has a huge stock of those. Meanwhile they need half a new car because some wire somewhere broke. I've seen repair bills bigger than the cost of my car and they were referred to as normal. Thanks, but not for me!

As for the rest, I am single and not yet 30 so living in a modest apartment is just fine. I am often complimented for being sensible. I also dress myself in a way that looks businesslike and classic but without being big brands. I favour timeless pieces that go well with everything and are practical to wear, and if I buy something in fashion it will be one piece only. I do like clothing that doesn't look too boring or generic, but I will always consider how it fits with everything else and how it can stay part of my wardrobe for a long time. One thing I find makes all the difference is when buying cheap is to avoid things that look cheap or tacky. Work on developing fashion sense too, what colours and styles match and the importance of accessories.

I also enjoy wearing make-up and thanks to on-line shopping I've managed to get a full kit without breaking the bank. The products again are of such a price that they offer a good quality, as to avoid looking cheap or tacky. I also feel that some people still associate make-up with riches and status.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
Probably not, the only time it gets weird is for expensive social outings when I say I can't afford it and someone offers to cover for me. I can afford it, it's just not in my budget, so I feel awkward.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2014, 04:06:47 PM »
I actually think I have the opposite problem of looking poor, only because people have funny preconceived notions sometimes. I am in my late 20s, and drive a 2007 BMW 3 series with over 80k miles on it, and people always react as if I've just pulled up in some really expensive ride. The fact of the matter is that I had been keeping an eye out for the right car, and found this one used a few years ago for less than what it was worth (small dealer bought it at an auction and needed to move it from his lot to free up some cash). I paid it off fairly quickly and have been driving it ever since. Now, it's probably worth about $10k, however when it was brand new, it was a $40k car (I paid around $20k, blue book was around $26k). It still drives pretty much like a new vehicle, and I try to take care of it, so it appears like new. Most people can't spot the difference between my "older" body style and the current one, and always tell me how lucky I am to be able to afford such an "expensive" car. The truth is that most of those same people are driving a brand new $35k minivan or camry that they'll be making payments on for the next 5 years or more, which they'll promptly trade in for another one and do it all over again. One of my neighbors bought a brand new Prius recently and was talking to me about how he wished he could afford a car like mine instead. He looked at me like I was stupid when I told him he could have bought a car just like mine for around $10k. I plan to maintain my car as best as I can and drive it until it dies. And I DIY every repair and maintenance item I can on it, and so far it's been a very reliable car (and it gets about 30 mpg on the hwy).

Now, buying a seven year old BMW for $10k (current value today) may be seen is wasteful here. But, if you want a luxury automobile, and can either pay $10k for a BMW or $40k for a BMW...well...seems like a bit of a no-brainer. And if you're looking for status, well that $35k minivan will only be brand-new for, what, a few weeks, maybe a month? But a BMW, well that'll be a BMW for...um...as long as it's on the road? I remember buying a Mercedes that was about 20 years old at the time. Everyone wanted to take a ride in it. Had it been a 20 year old Honda, I doubt it'd gotten so much as a second look.

BAMxi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »

Now, buying a seven year old BMW for $10k (current value today) may be seen is wasteful here. But, if you want a luxury automobile, and can either pay $10k for a BMW or $40k for a BMW...well...seems like a bit of a no-brainer. And if you're looking for status, well that $35k minivan will only be brand-new for, what, a few weeks, maybe a month? But a BMW, well that'll be a BMW for...um...as long as it's on the road? I remember buying a Mercedes that was about 20 years old at the time. Everyone wanted to take a ride in it. Had it been a 20 year old Honda, I doubt it'd gotten so much as a second look.

I completely agree. While my BMW purchase was a pre-mustachian luxury that I've decided to keep around, I have definitely found exactly what you're describing to be true. I guess that's an intangible benefit to the brand, though the whole "image" side of things isn't really all that important to me. I actually chose the car because I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys driving, and happen to live out in the country where there are lots of curvy country roads that I take regularly. Plus, again, emphasis on quality, I felt like if I was going to spend 20k on a car, I could get a BMW or a somewhat less used Ford Fusion or something. I let personal preference win out in that one.

I guess, thinking about it now, driving in general is seen as fairly wasteful around these parts. And I'm not one to make excuses, so maybe as my mustache grows in thicker, someday I will move into the city and bike everywhere. For now, the thought of living where my backyard looks directly into the backyard of my neighbor (or just being able to see my neighbors' house from my yard) just sounds like an entire different kind of torture that I'm not prepared for.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »

I completely agree. While my BMW purchase was a pre-mustachian luxury that I've decided to keep around, I have definitely found exactly what you're describing to be true. I guess that's an intangible benefit to the brand, though the whole "image" side of things isn't really all that important to me. I actually chose the car because I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys driving, and happen to live out in the country where there are lots of curvy country roads that I take regularly. Plus, again, emphasis on quality, I felt like if I was going to spend 20k on a car, I could get a BMW or a somewhat less used Ford Fusion or something. I let personal preference win out in that one.

I guess, thinking about it now, driving in general is seen as fairly wasteful around these parts. And I'm not one to make excuses, so maybe as my mustache grows in thicker, someday I will move into the city and bike everywhere. For now, the thought of living where my backyard looks directly into the backyard of my neighbor (or just being able to see my neighbors' house from my yard) just sounds like an entire different kind of torture that I'm not prepared for.
Owning a used BMW does not cost all that much in the long run (given that the car was in great shape to begin with). I paid 28k for my 5 way back, drove for 13 years and sold for 7k. The maintenance cost was about 1k a year on average. The total cost (discounted to present value) was about 32k, which came out to around $200/month. I know $200/month to spend on your ride is not the greatest, but the car was damn fun to drive!