Author Topic: Do you have a FitBit?  (Read 15751 times)

FireYourJob

• Stubble
    • Get Rich or Die Trying!
Do you have a FitBit?
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
If so, which one do you have and which one do you recommend?

What are the pros and cons of it?  Do you feel you truly benefit from it and living the "quant" lifestyle?

Janie

Re: Do you have a FitBit?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:05:57 PM »
no

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »
Recently inherited one for free - FitBit Flex.  As a numbers and tracking geek I thought I'd get more into it, but that hasn't happened yet.  Definitely don't feel like it would have been worth MSRP... or even $20.  But I'm willing to give it a few more weeks to see if I get into it before giving up and selling it on Craigslist. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
Our health insurance plan bought one for everyone that was overweight if you wanted the $50.00/month off your premium.  Then you had to complete some challenges which were really wimpy-get 150 minutes of exercise per week which is only walking moderate, tracking 3 days of nutrition per week.  Initially I had a negative attitude "why don't they just put a chip in my head?" etc.  However, 4 months later I love it & it has helped me lose 17 lbs with 11 more to go.  I can see daily how many steps I take, at what level (low, moderate or vigorous,  I can put in my food & figure out the calories I have eaten & the calories I have burned.   You can also use it before you eat out to see what restaurant meals are in calories.  The same meal varies hugely in calories at different chain restaurants.  It helps me plan ahead of time if I am going out to eat.  Anyways I totally love it.  I now walk at least 10,000/steps a day. If I don't have enough steps I will march in place while I watch TV.  I wear the wrist band but if you have a job where you are constantly moving your arms but not the rest of your body get the one that clips onto your belt.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »
Congratulations on the weight loss, Cassie!

Another blog I follow just mentioned the FitBit recently. Syd's both retired early and reasonably frugal, so I enjoy reading her blog for yet another perspective.

http://retiredsyd.typepad.com/retirement_a_fulltime_job/

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
My husband and I both have the Fitbit One. They were xmas gifts last year, and while I don't know if it's something either of us would have gotten ourselves, now that we have them we do enjoy them, and have them on us all the time unless we forgot and left them in a different pair of pants one day or something. Not sure it's really changed our behavior aside from the first few weeks of novelty factor where we'd head out for an extra walk to try and get our daily quota. We did have fun looking at our stats each day on our vacation, since we were getting around mostly on foot in some very hilly cities. And now that I'm used to having it I find myself sad if I forgot to put it in my pocket on a day when I end up doing an unusual amount of activity, or stairs or whatever since I'm not getting "credit" for it and I can't find out later just how much I did! Oh and the sleep tracker function is semi-interesting too... not sure how accurate it is but does give some idea how much you move around at least. I don't wear a watch or carry my phone with me all the time, so my Fitbit is also how I check what time it is when not near a clock.

So, it will really depend a lot on your personality how much you'll get out of it. For me it's fun to look at my data periodically and see if there are patterns or whatever; for others it can actually be the tipping point toward motivating them to change their daily habits dramatically. Some people will feel like they threw money away. You'll be the best judge of that part.

As for which model, I like the One, it's easy for me to keep it discreetly in any of my pants pockets. In theory I could clip it to my bra if I wasn't wearing something with pockets, but on those rare occasions I just skip it since it's sometimes a little lumpy and I worry that the screen will come on and glow through my shirt. I know people who have some of the other models and like them too. The Flex seems less interesting to me though, since I think you can't look up any stats on the device itself.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
My H is going to get some kind of fitness band/watch/whatever.  He has been thinking about it and shopping for a year.  They feature he is really interested in is the thing where it notices your movement and wakes you up at a good time in your sleep cycle. 

I am skeptical, and he is too a degree, but he has saved up a ton of birthday money so whatever.  I strongly predict it will be unused just like his heart rate monitor that hangs out in the bottom of his gym bag. 

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »
My company recently gave them out to whoever wanted to order one. Of course, I couldn't pass it up. However, I haven't used it much. The bracelet clip is difficult to get properly closed so it fell off twice. I noticed it both times and stuck it in my pocket. I don't really like the idea of having a device that is sending wifi signals so close to my body. So far it hasn't told me anything I don't already know, that I need to stop sitting in fromt of a computer for 9 hours a day and get up and move. Maybe it's telling me that I need a new job.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
I have a Flex and don't use it anymore, but it helped me lose 15 pounds earlier this year. The software gives you real-time information about your calorie deficit, which is enormously useful if you're trying to lose weight.

It has limitations, of course, which will make it less useful depending on how painful you find the limitations.
  • You have to count your calories - a giant pain (but worth it IMO) - or else you can't take advantage of the calorie-deficit tracker.
  • It's great at evaluating calories burned if your exercise involves steps (walking, running), but useless at evaluating other types of exercise. The software can still calculate your calorie deficit, but only if you enter that exercise manually.
  • I found that the sleep tracking mechanism didn't work at all. Not a problem for me, since it wasn't the reason I had it.
(These days I use the Hacker's Diet tool, http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html. No calorie counting required. Shout-out to forum member ohyonghao for bringing it to my attention.)

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
I have the fitbit zip.  It was a birthday gift.  I really like it.  However, it doesn't sync very well so most of the time it is just an expensive pedometer. 

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »
Maybe I'm just paranoid (okay - I know I'm paranoid), but I don't want to get one because I don't like that sort of granularity of data regarding what/when/how/where I do things on a daily (or even minute-by-minute) basis being in the hands of others. I'll pass.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 09:42:25 AM »
No.  I've considered getting one through my work rewards program, but I think I'll save my points for something else.  It's just too gimmicky for me, even though I suspect I might like it. 

I get REALLY into our work fitness program and love wearing my dumb free pedometer for the 6 weeks we have a company challenge.  But I'm quite happy with the pedometer as it is, and I actually like manually entering all my data every day.  It feels like a reward to punch in my numbers.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
(I don't recommend getting it wet even though it is water resistant)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I forgot it in my pants pocket one time when I threw them in the washing machine, and was really impressed it still worked after a wash cycle! (I don't use the vibrate alarm though, I'll have to check that one of these days and see if I killed it.)

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
I got a Force last winter. I really liked it, until it started causing the skin on my wrist to blister, and shortly after they recalled it. 

I'm thinking I'll probably get one of the new ones with the heart rate monitor when they become available -- I can pay for it with my flexible spending account from work, and since we get $700/yr that I have to work to spend, I'll just have to pay tax on its value.

yandz

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
I do have a fitbit and the numbers do drive me to get walking/run a few more flights of stairs at the end of the day to hit my goals.

On a hilarious note, I had a friend post on facebook, "Left the house for a run and realized I didn't have my Fitbit on and all I could think is 'What is the point of running NOW?!?!'"

I could totally relate.

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
My husband and I both have a Fitbit One. I prefer it over the bracelet style ones, because you can just have it in your pocket or clipped to your bra and so it's not noticeable. Both of us find it very motivating to get our 10k steps per day. My husband lost 40 lbs since getting his, and I've lost around 20, without counting calories.

I am now lusting after the Fitbit Surge which is the new watch they're coming out with. But trying to resist. :)

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
Negative.  One of the biggest things that helped me along my mustache journey was to stop quantifying all my activities.  I concentrate on the important, the cash flow.  Going beyond that adds extra stress, which leads to extra spending.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 07:17:57 PM »
I've had my fitbit ultra for a couple of years now.  I love the thing.  I will replace it when it finally falls apart.  On the bright side, I've linked it with both PACT and Acheivemint, so when it does die, the new one will be paid for with cash from using the old one.  (I've also linked it with the Walgreens and Sears... And I'm sure there are other companies with incentives to be fit.)

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 06:48:26 AM »
(I don't recommend getting it wet even though it is water resistant)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I forgot it in my pants pocket one time when I threw them in the washing machine, and was really impressed it still worked after a wash cycle! (I don't use the vibrate alarm though, I'll have to check that one of these days and see if I killed it.)

It's probably fine, honestly, and I wore mine in a hot tub many times before it finally conked out. The FitBit itself still works, but there's no longer that vibration when you reach you daily goal, and of course, the silent alarm feature doesn't work. My DH is fine with using it this way, though.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 10:31:52 AM »
The feature I'm looking for most is that it will tell me real time how fast I'm going, so that for example I can build and keep a 7mph pace.  Will the fitbit surge do that?  Will lower end fitbits do that?  Is the surge really worth $100 more than the charge?

yandz

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »
The fitbit one will definitely not do that.  I would imagine you need something with GPS to do that.  When we run, but Husband uses the "map my run" app for that data, but I would think it would drain batter to have it on the all the time.

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 12:14:08 PM »
The new Surge will do that, but it's not out yet, so you'll have to wait a few months. No other model they have will do that.

There are other running watches on the market, though, that will do it already (Garmin Forerunner is the one that leaps to my mind, and I think Polar might have one as well). Those won't count your steps like Fitbit will but they're more for serious running training.

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »
I bought a Fitbit. Then I realized that I don't really like wearing anything around my wrist for a long time. So I resold it, and got a pedometer for $20 that I can just put in my pocket or clip to my pants. And then I wondered why on earth I had ever bought a Fitbit in the first place (it was at least $80 or $90, and the only feature it had that my boring old pedometer doesn't have is the ability to upload all my stats to the Fitbit network, which I wasn't really interested in anyway.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
No, but my iPhone has a built-in step counter.  I think that's pretty much the same thing.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »
No, but my iPhone has a built-in step counter.  I think that's pretty much the same thing.

Not really, unless you literally carry your iPhone with you everywhere, all the time.

Pretty much.

The features I appreciate most about the FitBit aren't available via a phone app, as far as I know--it knows when you are moving quickly (not just a pedometer), and the sleep tracking is really interesting to me.

It knows when I'm moving quickly, and there are sleep tracking apps, but they aren't interesting to me.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
I also track all my calories, can find out how many calories I have burned versus eaten & if my steps are low, moderate or vigorous.  I have used this to lose 20lbs in 4 months so I feel it has been worth it. 

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »
I just bought the fitbit one on the 5th.  I really like it!! It has helped me increase my activities - jogging and  online bootcamp as well as bicycling.  I love looking at my daily steps and logging my food.  It is as addicting as checking mint.  I have since lost 4.2 pounds since the first of the month.  I hope the novelty does not wear out.  I have a goal of losing 25 more pounds.  I would suggest it. 

Reyes01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 06:10:14 PM »
Maybe I'm just paranoid (okay - I know I'm paranoid), but I don't want to get one because I don't like that sort of granularity of data regarding what/when/how/where I do things on a daily (or even minute-by-minute) basis being in the hands of others. I'll pass.

This is the same reason I don't have one. I purchased one not knowing that you had to use it with electronic monitoring. I returned it. I like the idea of having one, but the electronic tracking is freaky to me:-)

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 06:24:23 PM »
So, wait a minute.  This gadget just tells you to eat less and exercise more, and it tells you when you haven't slept too well??  And it tracks that?  I think you know it when you didn't sleep too well, and sit on your ass all day, and the gadget won't stop you from eating that cheesecake... So what's the point of this thing?  Go exercise.  Eat good food.  Sleep hygiene is important.  There, read this everyday, and give me 90 dollars.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 06:03:55 PM »
I purchased one not knowing that you had to use it with electronic monitoring. I returned it. I like the idea of having one, but the electronic tracking is freaky to me:-)
Oh shit! Thank you Reyes01, you just saved me some dough. No way, not doing it.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 06:08:09 PM »
My wife and I are buying one for each other... Christmas shopping DONE!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »
I purchased one not knowing that you had to use it with electronic monitoring. I returned it. I like the idea of having one, but the electronic tracking is freaky to me:-)
Oh shit! Thank you Reyes01, you just saved me some dough. No way, not doing it.

I'm confused, what do you two think this device does?  It's an electronic tracker, and you thought it wouldn't do electronic tracking?

It's not like it has a GPS that reports your location or anything.   It does, however, upload to a (nonpublic) website the amount of jostling the device has experienced each day.  I'm not quite sure how that's an invasion of your privacy, since it has no way of telling if you actually wore it, or left it on your desk, or had someone else wear it, or tied it to your dog or the pendulum of a clock.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 08:03:51 PM »
You're right, sol. I assumed that this meant it has a monthly charge, which is why I responded as I did. Perhaps I need enlightenment. OTOH, any reason to get me not to spend the money is probably a good one.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »
I assumed that this meant it has a monthly charge, which is why I responded as I did.

I'm pretty sure they have some kind of premium service you can pay a monthly charge for, not that it's required.

ClaycordJCA

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
Had an equivalent device until the app froze. Need to delete and reinstall he app. I walked a lot more with it. Wearing it is a constant reminder to get up and move - which is particularly important for us who have sedentary jobs.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »
I have the FitBit Flex. My company gave it to whoever participated in the Summer Fit Fitness Class challenge for X number of sessions. I work out on a normal basis 4-5x a week. I've read on Amazon that it's not the most accurate and that the newer models are better. With that being said it forces you to track what you do and eat IF you log it. It logs your sleep pattern if you log the time. It tracks your calories if you log it (via MyFitness Pal or whatever). Same goes for water. The things it automatically tracks is steps/miles and calories (debatable on how accurate since I work out normally). Good for starters. Not sure it's great for fitness junkies. Oh, and it lasts about 4 days on a full charge!

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 07:52:59 AM »
So, wait a minute.  This gadget just tells you to eat less and exercise more, and it tells you when you haven't slept too well??  And it tracks that?  I think you know it when you didn't sleep too well, and sit on your ass all day, and the gadget won't stop you from eating that cheesecake... So what's the point of this thing?  Go exercise.  Eat good food.  Sleep hygiene is important.  There, read this everyday, and give me 90 dollars.

But will you track my calories for me based on exactly what I ate every day? And will you watch me while I sleep every night to let me know ways I can sleep better? And will you also calculate when I work out or walk a lot that I can eat more calories that day, including that cheesecake? I think a $90 one time charge for all of these services is valuable to some people. It may not be to you, and that's fine. I find value in it because it helped me shed some pounds and keeps me more active. I've been walking to work, even when it's been -10 and icy, because darn it, I want those steps tracked. :) This is why I likened it to Mint.com, but for physical stuff. Of course we all *know* we should spend less and save more, but actually seeing the data is highly motivating for some people to change their behavior.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:56:20 AM by rubybeth »

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 07:57:23 AM »
I've got a fitbit one that I use.  My current assignment is in a secure space, so I have to lock it up during the day.  I move to a new position in July that will give me the freedom to use it more regularly.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 10:25:10 AM »
I thought about getting one, but since any modern smartphone can track your steps for free, I'll stick with free.  A lot of the newer phones even have a dedicated chip to just track steps like my Moto X.  That means it uses virtually no battery and is fairly accurate.  Nothing will be as good as a real pedometer, but it gets me +/-10%, and that's good enough for free.  For outside walking, I use MapMyWalk/Ride for more accurate GPS tracking.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
To the person that suggested just to eat less & move move without a device you really have no idea how much you are walking a day & if it is enough.  This device helps you keep track of it & it is motivating to see the # of steps.  If I don't have enough I will run around my living room at nite while watching TV-something I never did before.  For a small one time price it has helped many to lose weight-including myself-this is priceless!

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »
Wouldn't FitBits and other wearable technology for working out be anti-mustachian?

Ninety percent of the cyclists I see -- and I live in the most densely-populated county in Florida -- are wearing earbuds. Not only are they not enjoying nature, etc., they're putting their lives in danger. If you need music attached to you while running, do you really enjoy running? Clearly there's benefit to wearing a watch and even a heart-rate monitor for interval training, but other than that, why clutter what should be mind-clutter free time with more technology like a FitBit?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »
Clearly there's benefit to wearing a watch and even a heart-rate monitor for interval training, but other than that, why clutter what should be mind-clutter free time with more technology like a FitBit?

Some people still prefer an actual wristwatch to digging in a pocket to activate a cell phone screen.  And if you're going to wear a watch anyway, why not wear one that also motivates you to get more exercise and has caller ID built in? 

If your phone is truly your only device, then you can make it approximate the functions of lots of other things (though it's not as good of a pedometer as a dedicated pedometer).  But I think there are probably some useful UI advantages to having a more easily accessible screen on your wrist for things like the time, silent vibrating alarm, calendar alerts, heart rate monitor, and caller ID.  The key is going to be making that second device sufficiently stylish, like a watch is normally considered jewelry, and sufficiently cheap that it can be replaced every five or six years as the technology improves.  I'm not sure we're there yet, as the good devices are expensive and the cheap devices don't have all of the functionality (like the fitbits don't do calendar integration or GPS).

At the very least, I'd much rather see a 2025 where everyone gets turn by turn navigation read out to them by their wristwatch than one in which everyone is still stumbling down sidewalks with their noses glued to their cell phones.  I think there will always be some functions for which a phone/tablet is clearly superior (all media consumption, for example) but for others I think the watch form factor will actually be superior.

Predicting the future of technology is hard, but it wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing phones and watches sold as matched pairs with complementary functionality.  Samsung and Apple are both already leaning towards complementary devices, but they're not yet selling them as a matched set.  The current divide between smartwatches and fitness wearables is dumb, and I think it will rapidly disintegrate as they become more and more similar.  This doesn't bode well for fitbit as a company because they don't make phones too.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Fitbit got bought by Apple, Google, Samsung, LG, etc.  They make some decent devices, but I agree with Sol that it's just a mater of time before the fitness market becomes dominated by Smart Watches.  I could see the simple belt clipped pedometer still having some market, but less and less unless the price drops.  Why spend $100 on a Fitbit when I can buy a LG smartwatch for $200 that does 100x more than the Fitbit.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »
Livelean, do you even know how a fitbit works?  How can it possible clutter your mind?  It is totally silent & just records.  There is nothing to look at. To see how you are doing step wise you have to check your computer & phone to which it is synched to. The only thing it does is vibrate when you reach your step goals for the day & you control what you set it at.