Author Topic: Do You Adhere to a Paleo Diet?  (Read 31840 times)

freeazabird

• Stubble
    • Bmore Bungalow
Do You Adhere to a Paleo Diet?
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:16:26 AM »
I 'm considering adhering to a paleo diet to help fight some autoimmune issues I'm having. Anyone have experience with this? If you eat a paleo diet can you tell me what a typical day meal wise looks like for you? Thanks.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
Re: Do You Adhere to a Paleo Diet?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:08:24 AM »
I eat primal[ish] i.e. paleo with dairy, mainly for weight issues.  I started properly a couple of months ago and it is tough, I'm not going to lie, but I feel so much better and have lost 8bs so far.  Disclaimer: I've fallen off the wagon a couple of times which is why I say it's tough and why I haven't lost more but I'm still working at it and I figure this is a way of life, not a diet - I've changed my lifestyle to ensure I sleep lots and walk lots.

Anyway, I spend £30 a week on food/household/toiletries and since I've eliminated convenience foods this is do-able.  I shop at Lidl mostly.  Meals tend to be the same a few nights a week and I batch cook lunches so I tend to eat the same thing for lunch.  Examples:

Breakfasts

Bacon, egg, mushrooms, tomatoes/ham, cheese, hardboiled egg, avocado/veg and meat [sausage, ham] frittata/smoothie

Lunches

Huge salads in the summer topped with protein - chicken caesar, salmon caesar, prawns in thousand island, tuna mayo/winter tends to be soups/curry/bolognese/chilli/stroganoff.

Dinner

Pretty much protein and veg, with the occasional sweet potatp [baked, wedges, mashed] e.g. lamb chops and cauliflower cheese/pork chop and cabbage/chicken breast and sauteed mixed veggies/fish fillet and sauteed mixed veggies.  Nothing complicated and it's usually on the table within 20-30 minutes [I do NOT use a microwave as I don't believe they are good for you].

Breakfast is the hardest for me - I like toast or cereal and it's easier but I definitely feel fuller for longer eating protein.  The food is tasty and filling and I just feel better.

So, I tend to buy eggs, meat/fish and veggies - frozen and fresh, dairy and olive and coconut oils.  I use spices and dried herbs for flavour but have been known to biuy ready made sauces in a pinch.

Hope that helps!

TheBreeze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Nova Ninja Project
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:18:59 AM »
Check out marksdailyapple.com for the best, most reasonable take on paleo (in my opinion). I don't have much to add as far as meals go. It might be tough for the first couple transition weeks. It's normal to feel pretty foggy in that period, but after weathering the storm you absolutely will not regret it. Obviously I can't guarantee autoimmune improvement, but I think it's your best shot. I think you'll also gain a new perspective on hunger and energy, which is honestly amazing. Good luck!!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:48:45 AM »
I eat "low-carb" not paleo.  For me the biggest difference between the 2 is that I am fine with dairy and see no reason to stop eating/drinking it.  When I went low-carb, my GERD went away (no more Nexium!), my achy joints felt a lot better.  My blood work improved (triglycerides went way down, uric acid went down, HDL/LDL ratio improved, CRP went down).  When I eliminated grains (totally) I was even better.  I haven't lost much weight on this diet, but my health is definitely better.

I eat lots of vegetables (mostly the non-starchy ones, but some squash), some fruits (except starchy ones like bananas), meat, dairy, eggs. 
Breakfast: eggs, bacon/sausages, omelets, smoothies
Lunch - usually planned-overs from dinner, maybe brie on gluten-free crackers (I check labels, some gluten-free still has wheat/rye/rice)
Dinner - some meat, lots of vegetables with butter, maybe a few slices of sweet potatoes (drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with Herbes de Provence, roasted in the oven, yummy), maybe some berries for dessert with a bit of heavy cream, maybe a glass of wine, or sherry before, or liqueur after.

Beverages - coffee, black and green tea,  lemon water (cold in summer, hot in winter), hot chocolate (winter), wine, wine coolers (in small amounts because of the sugar).

What I don't eat: potatoes (too much starch for me), wheat, rye, oats, rice, margarine, more than a tsp. of sugar, most vegetable oils (soy, sunflower, canola, etc.)

What I eat rarely: sweet potatoes, wild rice, a bit of honey or maple syrup for flavouring, snacks (because I don't get hungry between meals, these foods are satiating)

What I eat more of than I should : chocolate

There are good cook-books out there and eating this way can be delicious.  Plus once the normal large amounts of sugar are gone, I find I appreciate the natural sweetness in foods more, I don't need added sugar.

Hope this helps.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »
In the long term it didn't work for me (my preferred diet is heavy in whole grains) but being on a very restricted form of it and reintroducing foods helped me find the foods that were my triggers for sinus and allergy issues.

Turns out I had a peanut sensitivity and I needed to scale my dairy intake waaaaay back. And weirdly enough, cabbage makes me violently ill (but only when cooked).

I'll +1 the Mark's Daily Apple recommendation. Did seem to be the best grounded site. Lots of terrible dietary advice out there.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:57:59 AM »
Another vote here for Marks Daily Apple.

I eat primal but with dairy. Breakfast is an omelet with cheese and salsa, and dinner is meat or fish and veggies or salad, or sometimes just a big ol salad. Since I still eat dairy I top my salads with cottage cheese instead of dressing. Since going Primal I usually only eat twice a day, but if I go want a lunch it's usually a salad (and then meat & veggies for dinner), follow dinner up with a piece of fruit for desert most nights too. I also keep a bag of almonds and some fruit handy for snacks.

The transition can be difficult (carb cravings) but I got through it by allowing myself to eat as much as I wanted as long as it was "primal" foods. After a couple weeks my body adjusted and my appetite decreased (that's when I went to 2 meals most days instead of 3). I fell off and went back to eating junk for a while and gained 20some pounds back (originally lost about 40), but went back to eating primal about a month ago and have already lost over 10 of it :)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
We base our diet on Paleo principals. Probably around 80% of our meals are 100% paleo ("50% of the time it works every time", lawl), the other 20% are reasonable non-paleo foods that still fit our macros.

Typical weekday (mostly meal-preped on weekend):
Breakfast: Coffee
Lunch: Something we prepared during the weekend, typically meat and veggies. Steak and sweet potato. Butternut squash lasagna (with coconut milk and tomato sauce, ground beef as filling). Texas chili (no beans) with spinach cooked in. Baked chicken and squash. Spaghetti with zucchini noodles. Lots of options here.
Snacks: Not always, but can include pouch tuna, protein powder, banana, boiled eggs, etc.
Dinner: More stuff typically prepared during weekend, but sometimes we make some stove-top steak or fresh stuff, add salads for fiber, etc. Since lunch is always premade and packed, we use dinner to round out our macros (We do 30% protein, 30% carb, and 40% fat)

Typical weekend is meal-prep time. We sometimes have omelettes on weekends since we have time to make breakfast. See link in signature for more recipes from us.

Other information on how we do it:
Alcohol: As long as it fits our macros, we mostly stick to wine and clear liquors, but will occationally splurge on good microbrews.
Beans: Sprouted and cooked well, I keep some in the fridge at all times and use them to add carbs when I need to.
Corn: as long as it's been soaked in lime water; we make chips at home on occation by cutting up corn tortillas, brushing with coconut oil, salting, and baking at 450 F for 12 minutes.
Dairy: Just butter and occational hard cheeses, neither of us do well with milk. Lactase enzymes if there's a lot.
Wheat: As a treat, it's gotta be really good because it causes us gastronomic distress.

Most important things to avoid:
Wheat and gluten-containing grains
Seed oils high in polyunsaturated fatty acids, such as vegetable oil (mostly Omega 6)
Non-traditionally prepared legumes (beans need to be sprouted)

If you have any questions feel free to ask em, done a lot of research on the topic.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:10:15 AM »
i've had stomach issues my whole life but in the last few years it's gotten worse. i've been taking antibiotics a lot for lymes disease so i figured that was mostly the problem. at the beginning of this year i thought i would try a vegetarian diet to see if it would help my stomach. it worked great at first but as the months went by i was losing weight and feeling worse. i had heard it takes a while for your gut to adapt to all the new fiber so i toughed it out. so finally two months ago i was feeling like crap all the time so my doctor ran some food allergy tests on me. not surprisingly i've got a gluten issue and a dairy issue along with a host of other food sensitivities (i haven't seen the full list yet). i guess doing the meatless thing had me eating more dairy and bread which just compounded the problem. the doctor suggested a more paleo type diet. in the last week i've cut back a lot on dairy and gluten and i've had some beef and chicken. my stomach feels noticeably better. once i get the full list i can really start researching what i can and can't have. i guess i need to find a place to get sustainable raised chicken, pork and beef.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
I've been eating autoimmune paleo on and off for about two years.  I'm currently off, in that I reintroduced eggs, nightshades, dairy and nuts in the last two weeks.  It's taken about that long for autoimmune symptoms to come back, I'm not sure which food groups are contributory, so I'm going to go back to strict AIP next week. 

Typical AIP Breakfasts
-Green smoothies - frozen bananas, frozen berries, avocado, greens, flavorings (lemon juice or ginger), collagen. Base can be water, kombucha, beet kvass - whatever I have on hand
-Homemade sausage patties + side of sauerkraut, sauteed veg, fruit
-Pumpkin porridge - I roast a kabocha squash, puree and cook with coconut milk and spices.  You can add in all sorts of things, like raisins, a little maple syrup or honey, tahini if you can eat seeds.  I used to add cauliflower rice or shredded coconut for more of an oatmeal-like texture, but honestly I prefer it plain.
-Ground beef hash - with sweet potatoes, spinach, mushrooms - whatever i have on hand
-Fish cakes - canned fish, sweet potatoes as a binder since I can 't use eggs.
-Leftovers

Typical lunch/dinners
-Nori wrapped smoked salmon, avocado and cucumbers
Salmon salad ( I don't like tuna)
Other type of salad with some meat
Sardine dip - puree avocado, olives, artichokes, herbs.  Stir in mashed sardines.  Serve with plantain flatbread
Chow mein zoodles
Soups of all kinds
Meatballs
Burgers - I use plantain or yuca bread.
Baked chicken - herbs, citrus for flavor
Crockpot meals like carnitas or shredded beef
Baked salmon
Any type of meat dish above stuffed into a starchy dough and baked or fried.  E.g., AIP versions of empanadas, pierogies, taquitos, shepherd's pie, pizza
Side dishes to include mashed cauliflower, cauliflower rice, gnocchi, roasted vegetables, plantain crackers

Typical snacks
Rarely: plantain chips or crackers, nori sheets, trail mix (e.g., coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, dried fruit and dark chocolate chips).  Note that some people don't recommend chocolate on an autoimmune protocol.

Typical desserts
Sorbet, popsicles, hot chocolate made with coconut milk; chocolate-avocado or chia + berry pudding; gelatin gummies; more rarely caramelized bananas with coconut cream; banana pudding with tapioca pearls and coconut milk;

In comparison, my non AIP menu today: moussaka (aka, nightshade, nightshade, eggs, dairy); pumpkin porridge (thickened with sweet rice flour); baked salmon with asparagus; plantain blondie with heath bar chips (nuts, dairy, soy, added sugar)

PantsOnFire

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
I'm on Day 40 of the Whole30--I'm technically done tomorrow since I'm not reintroducing gluten.  It's sometimes hard to eat out on a whim, but it's do-able if you plan ahead.  I plan on staying mostly-paleo for the near future, maybe something like 5 days "on", two days "off".  (I want to at least try having a drink or two on the weekends, maybe with cheese or some other non-paleo food that I'll still avoid during the week.)  I haven't fully decided how far to go long-term, but I genuinely like the paleo diet and I love cooking, not to mention 2/3 of my family has Celiac disease, so there are a lot of things pointing me in that direction. 

The thing I learned about halfway through the Whole30 is that paleo is not really that hard to pull off if you "go it alone," but peer pressure and social expectations can really make it seem like a burden.  I'd imagine travel makes it difficult too.  Once you get used to processed foods pretty much always being off-limits, and you start feeling that grains aren't really a health food so much as a cheap filler, it doesn't seem all that radical.  And as time goes by you realize you aren't missing that much, and the things you thought you were missing in the beginning were mostly just habitual cravings that go away once you break your conditioned response. 

On the Whole30, I've been eating shit-tonnes of eggs.  Also lots of sweet potatoes and plantains.  Meats are usually chicken, salmon, or grass-fed beef, but that's not really anything new. 

A typical day goes like this:
2 hard boiled eggs, 3 medjool dates, baked plantain chips
large salad w/ dark greens (no iceberg), hard boiled egg, grilled chicken breast, pineapple chunks
2 chicken thighs or 6 oz salmon, steamed broccoli, sweet potato

It may sound boring but honestly I don't feel the need to switch it up too often--good food is good food. 

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »
I'd suggest checking out the fathead blog too. Today's post was actually about how he is adding in some things to his diet he previously had out.
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2014/10/16/my-previous-view-of-the-paleo-diet-got-squashed/

His documentary is what started me down the path. Also I highly suggest his talk "Science for smart people" which was available on his youtube channel last I knew.

I am not strict paleo but am low carb.

Typically I have the following:
Breakfast - Egg caserole (eggs, veggies, sausage)
Lunch - Sandwich without bread (lunchmeat, cheese, some greens), yogurt and many times some almond flour cookies I make
Dinner - Meat and veggies.

When I started I also came up with a cheat day I call "Fuck it Friday" where I just ate what I wanted regardless of what it was on Friday. I never went nuts but I might have pizza for dinner or something. I didn't have any real health issues than slowly gaining weight and not great bloodwork and I really liked my carbs before starting down this path. So having that cheat day made it easier for me to do. I do dairy and sweet potatoes and squash at times.

The big thing that Tom from Fathead, Mark from MDA, and others will say that is the best advice is everyone is different and find what works for you. In general less processed and more natural is better. But some people can't handle certain foods that are great for others. Experiment with what works for you.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »
+1 for Fathead, great flick!

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »
No because it's probably unhealthy for you and it's the worst kind of bro science.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »
this week:

breakfast: 3 whole eggs with spinach, 1 sliced tomato, 1/4-1/2 cup of blueberries
Lunch: turkey tenderloin, sauteed cabbage, roasted sweet potatoes
dinner: tilapia or salmon, sauteed cabbage, 1 sliced tomato

snacks: cashews, almond butter, protein shake...maybe a small handful of dark chocolate chips after dinner

cooking oils vary: coconut oil, olive oil, MCT oil
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:15:25 PM by andy85 »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »
I'm never truly certain where the divisions lie in the paleo-primal-caveman-keto movements.

I don't eat dairy because I'm violently allergic.
I stay away from flours and sugars because both my parents have type II diabetes, and my A1C of 5.5 puts me at an 86% elevated risk for developing it myself.
I try to stay in ketosis, because it makes me feel good.

Mostly I eat meat, and vegetables. These are my current kicks:

Breakfast Choices: fast; full-fat broth; ground beef & sauteed peppers; oatmeal w/ butter. (I'm not a fan of bulletproof coffee)

Lunch & Dinner Choices: marinated meat w/ roasted brussel sprouts; tuna salad over leaves; salmon salad over leaves; roasted root vegetables w/ chicken

If you're specifically interested in the Autoimmune protocol, you can check out this cookbook. I can loan you my copy, if you'd like. Just PM me.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
I'm kind of half-assing a paleo. Basically trying to eliminate a lot of wheat and sugar. I do think those two combined cause a lot of issues. I get a lot of bloating from carbs but it's just so hard to stay away.

I've also been on a reduced dairy thing for years... I don't touch milk at all but will occasionally have dairy products like cheese, ice cream, greek yogurt, etc. I found that reducing dairy improved my skin massively.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 07:30:53 PM »
I eat "low-carb" not paleo.  For me the biggest difference between the 2 is that I am fine with dairy and see no reason to stop eating/drinking it.  When I went low-carb, my GERD went away (no more Nexium!), my achy joints felt a lot better.  My blood work improved (triglycerides went way down, uric acid went down, HDL/LDL ratio improved, CRP went down).  When I eliminated grains (totally) I was even better.  I haven't lost much weight on this diet, but my health is definitely better.
This was exactly my experience, except my cholesterol didn't go down, in fact went up a bit. I felt so much better, lost weight, started running again and competing in 10K races. Seasonal allergies pretty much disappeared, etc.
I did Paleo or just low carb for about 7 years, and only stopped when I moved, changed jobs at a much lower income and couldn't afford it. Plus, when I stopped cooking for myself, my wife wasn't on board (she still thinks it's insane) so since she is cooking, I eat what she cooks. Still no gluten, and lots of veggies/fruits, but now including grains and potatoes.
I am expecting to get a much higher paying job in the next month or so, so plan to edge back into low-carb/paleo.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 09:04:22 PM »
This is my 12th day of low carb and I'm pretty sure I'd hurt someone if they walked by me with a NYC bagel right now...

I'm eating probably 3x the protein I normally eat and way too much cheese...

Somebody mentioned plantain bread? Where/how? I'm afraid to bake as I'm trying to sorta low call as well but I have bought coconut flour and some other stuff for longer term....never saw plantain flour?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 10:01:23 PM »
The_path_less_taken - I made some Low Carb Keto dinner rolls that turned out pretty well and the closest thing I have had to "bread" in probably 6 months. http://healinggourmet.com/healthy-recipes/keto-paleo-dinner-rolls/ I adapted the recipe to make a "sweet" bun by taking out the spices, cutting down the salt and adding some vanilla and cinnamon and a couple chopped prunes (would have used raisins but were out) They were super yummy!

takeahike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »
Today

Breakfast: Half avocado chopped and mixed with diced tomatoes and diced peeled cucumbers.. salted with sriracha. DELICIOUS. Oh and bacon. Eat a large plate of this meal.. it will hold you over for hours.

Lunch: A few macadamia nuts and 1/3 banana. (Normally I eat more than this but I was running errands. However, the large breakfast was holding me over.)

Dinner: Leftover cabbage-burger-tomato-onion casserole and leftover Thai food. Greek Salad because it was already made and in the fridge.

Post dinner snack: 2 cucumber slices with olive paste.

Dessert: One square of chocolate with a smear of almond butter

I drink coffee also, with a dollup of coconut oil. Coffee is not technically paleo but I have to have it. Otherwise I drink carbonated water and water usually and sometimes a little red wine.

This is just a snapshot. You can eat as much of the above that you want and will not gain weight. In fact, make sure you get plenty of fats for energy.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:16:14 PM by takeahike »

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 10:17:17 PM »
Without knowing the name, we adhere to this rdiet egarding about 75% of our food consumption.

We need to do better though, a few changes were made last week which we've maintained. 

Hopefully this will bring it to 90%. That's good enough for me

So nice to have a name for it! Coffee is my downfall
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:19:23 PM by Outdoorsygal »

Greenroller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 10:36:15 PM »
Due to auto immune diseases (celiac being just one of them) I grew up eating paleo before it was called paleo. I don't eat any form of dairy what so ever either. I dont however completely eliminate legumes but very rarely eat them. A blog with fantastic recipes my entire family will eat is www.paleomg.com  her pizza casserole and buffalo chicken casserole are fabulous. We also love the ham bone soup in the crock pot, my kids beg me to make it. I haven't tried anything from her site that isn't amazing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:39:31 PM by Greenroller »

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 06:16:35 AM »
If your body tolerates Dairy and Gluten then Paleo is a scam.  Many people don't tolerate dairy well so that is a big consideration.  I tolerate both well and I love fat free Greek yogurt and eat whole grain breads and pasta regularly.  Extreme diets (except for those with allergies/sensitivities) are scammy.  Limit saturated fats and simple sugars and you need not worry about much else.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 06:20:50 AM »
The_path_less_taken - I made some Low Carb Keto dinner rolls that turned out pretty well and the closest thing I have had to "bread" in probably 6 months. http://healinggourmet.com/healthy-recipes/keto-paleo-dinner-rolls/ I adapted the recipe to make a "sweet" bun by taking out the spices, cutting down the salt and adding some vanilla and cinnamon and a couple chopped prunes (would have used raisins but were out) They were super yummy!

I love you swick! When I walked the dogs at 11pm it was sleeting sideways with 35mph winds: I had hot chocolate. With a small shot of Frangelico in it. And whipped cream...delicious! So, out of ketosis.

Square one, here I come.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 06:36:53 AM »
My DH has an autoimmune disease and he tried the Paleo diet but had much more success with a Vegan diet.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 07:35:30 AM »
If your body tolerates Dairy and Gluten then Paleo is a scam.  Many people don't tolerate dairy well so that is a big consideration.  I tolerate both well and I love fat free Greek yogurt and eat whole grain breads and pasta regularly.  Extreme diets (except for those with allergies/sensitivities) are scammy.  Limit saturated fats and simple sugars and you need not worry about much else.

Please explain how a diet of meat, vegetables and fruit is "scammy."  It's only "scammy" if you spend ten bucks on a loaf of "paleo" bread or a jar of "primal" mayonnaise.  Then again, show me a diet--including everyone's sainted vegetarianism and veganism--where someone isn't pushing some sort of convenience food (Tofurky, Daiya, etc.).

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 07:48:53 AM »

Please explain how a diet of meat, vegetables and fruit is "scammy."  It's only "scammy" if you spend ten bucks on a loaf of "paleo" bread or a jar of "primal" mayonnaise.  Then again, show me a diet--including everyone's sainted vegetarianism and veganism--where someone isn't pushing some sort of convenience food (Tofurky, Daiya, etc.).

Scammy doesn't necessarily mean bad for you. It's a scam because it's just the latest trend and people eat it up (pun intended). Most of the effects people are realizing are placebo IMO. The same has been shown with gluten free diets with the exception of those with celiac. Eating real food and not processed crap is all that really seems to matter. All these other diets have no real science showing they do anything for you.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »

Scammy doesn't necessarily mean bad for you. It's a scam because it's just the latest trend and people eat it up (pun intended). Most of the effects people are realizing are placebo IMO. The same has been shown with gluten free diets with the exception of those with celiac. Eating real food and not processed crap is all that really seems to matter. All these other diets have no real science showing they do anything for you.

This is fact.  Paleo rated very low on the diet rankings by Doctors and scientists through US News.  The top rated diets are DASH, Mediterranean and other that use advocate good fats (non saturated), vegetables and fruits, lean proteins/fish, nuts, and whole grains.  Bodies tend to fare the best when exposed to the entire food pyramid and not just a small portion of it because cave men were limited to certain ingredients.  I would say that evidence suggests avoiding saturated fats and simple sugars, eating as many vegetables as possible and even organic produce/meats have far more compelling evidence to support them than Paleo or any other severely restrictive diets.  Look at where people live the longest/healthiest.  People in Okinawa live extremely long and they eat a lot of rice.  If complex carbs were not good for your body do you think that people who eat a lot of them would be so healthy/long lived?  You know what they don't eat?  Do you know what people in cultures that live long and healthy the world over don't eat? Processed/fried foods and simple sugars. This Paleo trend will end shortly and the next scam will start soon afterwards.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
I wouldn't call it a scam, because it's not a lie or a fake. I'd call it a fad diet. Not the first or last. I remember when high-carb, low-fat was the way to go. Lots of people switched to high-carb and guess what, they lost weight, lowered their cholesterol, felt better, etc. To a certain extent, anything that gets you to pay more attention to what you eat is going to benefit you, because you will be a little more conscious and less likely to overeat or eat krap.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 11:17:14 AM »
No.

To the extent my diet overlaps with it is coincidence.

Astro Camper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »
Low carbers at my work are always overweight. January, they go strict with veggies and meat only. Loose some water weight and then pizza boxes start showing up at noon. I just lough at all this. They walk around like zombies with no energy and always hungry.

Me, I'm the skinniest guy at work eating nothing but carbs. Tons of bread, rice and fruit. Low fat, no protein. 5000 calories of it every day for the last 6 years. Some days even 7000 calories. That gives me energy to move around and burn it all. If I stuffed my self with dead animal flesh I would have to lay down and digest for 24 hours, rinse and repeat.

I know, I know, that FAT does not make you FAT but rice will. Go to Asia and find fat people.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »

This is fact.  Paleo rated very low on the diet rankings by Doctors and scientists through US News.  The top rated diets are DASH, Mediterranean and other that use advocate good fats (non saturated), vegetables and fruits, lean proteins/fish, nuts, and whole grains.  Bodies tend to fare the best when exposed to the entire food pyramid and not just a small portion of it because cave men were limited to certain ingredients.  I would say that evidence suggests avoiding saturated fats and simple sugars, eating as many vegetables as possible and even organic produce/meats have far more compelling evidence to support them than Paleo or any other severely restrictive diets.  Look at where people live the longest/healthiest.  People in Okinawa live extremely long and they eat a lot of rice.  If complex carbs were not good for your body do you think that people who eat a lot of them would be so healthy/long lived?  You know what they don't eat?  Do you know what people in cultures that live long and healthy the world over don't eat? Processed/fried foods and simple sugars. This Paleo trend will end shortly and the next scam will start soon afterwards.

A couple of points on the paleo diet:-

1. The idea that people ate like that in paleo times is palava. Its just a fairy tale. Even if it was true who really cares. We should eat what is healthy for us rather than what some fairy tale story regarding how our paleo ancestors ate.
2. Good carbs which include fibre are really important for your health.
3. Animal foods (meat and dairy) are associated with lots of health problems including heart disease and cancer.
4. Beans and lentils are extremely healthy for you.

The Paleo diet is a scam. It's probably a lot better for you than donuts and beer but there is no scientific or anthropological backing for the diet at all and that is why it is a scam.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:10:24 PM by steveo »

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »
Low carbers at my work are always overweight. January, they go strict with veggies and meat only. Loose some water weight and then pizza boxes start showing up at noon. I just lough at all this. They walk around like zombies with no energy and always hungry.

Me, I'm the skinniest guy at work eating nothing but carbs. Tons of bread, rice and fruit. Low fat, no protein. 5000 calories of it every day for the last 6 years. Some days even 7000 calories. That gives me energy to move around and burn it all. If I stuffed my self with dead animal flesh I would have to lay down and digest for 24 hours, rinse and repeat.

I know, I know, that FAT does not make you FAT but rice will. Go to Asia and find fat people.

This is the facts. I remember trying these low carb diets in winter. Lots of meat and cheese and that sort of crap. In summer I'd naturally eat a tonne of fruit. Basically I'd put on weight in the low carb phase and then lose it in summer.

I eat meat and I still eat some junk food but when I need to lose weight its just more and more fruit and vegetables with plenty of lentils/beans and rice to fill me up.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »
No because it's probably unhealthy for you and it's the worst kind of bro science.

Not sure why you're necroposting just to bad-mouth a diet that other forum members have found success with. Yours was the first post in over a year, which resurrected the thread.

I stand by my post from October 2014 above (the last activity date before steveo's quoted comment), my wife and I personally feel and perform our best when adhering to a Paleo diet. YMMV.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »

Not sure why you're necroposting just to bad-mouth a diet that other forum members have found success with. Yours was the first post in over a year, which resurrected the thread.

I stand by my post from October 2014 above (the last activity date before steveo's quoted comment), my wife and I personally feel and perform our best when adhering to a Paleo diet. YMMV.

Someone must have edited the thread because I definitely didn't go looking for it. The Paleo diet is a funny one. I've looked into it and it is the worst kind of bro science. Its probably a placebo effect in relation to while you feel good plus you have to look at the longer term effects and not rely on anecdotal evidence.

Diets in my opinion are about odds. I think Steve Jobs was a vegan and I think that style of diet is typically the healthiest and best for minimising your chance of dying from cancer or heart disease but he died from cancer. Eating a paleo diet probably puts the odds against you when it comes to developing weight gain and/or developing some chronic diseases that typically kill people.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
Do You Adhere to a Paleo Diet?
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »

Someone must have edited the thread because I definitely didn't go looking for it. The Paleo diet is a funny one. I've looked into it and it is the worst kind of bro science. Its probably a placebo effect in relation to while you feel good plus you have to look at the longer term effects and not rely on anecdotal evidence.

Diets in my opinion are about odds. I think Steve Jobs was a vegan and I think that style of diet is typically the healthiest and best for minimising your chance of dying from cancer or heart disease but he died from cancer. Eating a paleo diet probably puts the odds against you when it comes to developing weight gain and/or developing some chronic diseases that typically kill people.

The few studies I've seen that have been done comparing Paleo to other diets for weight loss and other diseases risk factors have shown it to be equal to or better than the Mediterranean diet. Not many have been done since it's fairly new to the scene. I'd hardly think the changes in weight and vital statistics that I personally have effected by switching my diet to Paleo fall under the placebo effect. Been mostly Paleo since 2010 (having tried many diets before, including counting calories and vegetarian, both of which did nothing), health has only improved since. Discount it all you want as n=1, I'll agree with you on the non-robustness of the statistics there. But to say it's dangerous and unhealthy? Strongly disagree. It's been life-changing for me and many others who I have met.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:29:43 PM by Philociraptor »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2016, 05:28:39 PM »

It's worth it just for the term "bro science."

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »
I did it, but I have fallen off the wagon.  I think paleo is the greatest thing ever -- when I was on it, I lost 40 lbs, and I was literally running up the stairs when I got to work, just because I felt like it.  I'd just jog up five flights of stairs, because it felt better than walking. 

I'm up 15 lbs from that, and want to get back on it. 

Breakfast was always scrambled eggs, and maybe a piece of sausage, with coffee.  Lunch was a salad with some sort of protein.  Dinner was protein with vegetables.  The food is as boring as hell, but it's worth it. 

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »
What's paleo, where you forage for roots and berries and eat squirrels you killed with a thrown rock?

Or when you just eat a lot of bacon you picked up at the supermarket?

(Insert troll icon here) :D

CATman

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2016, 08:46:04 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm a practitioner of eating a whole food plant based diet.

I think paleo is a great option for many people as long as you stick to eating whole foods. I love the Michael Pollan quote that goes, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" This is actually pretty close to what the people the paleo diet is trying to imitate as they did not have much food to begin with and meat was pretty scarce.

I don't adhere to the paleo diet as I don't consume animal products except for cheese on occasion. I've never felt better. I always tell people to give it a try and you'll be amazed at how great you feel. However, I think the paleo diet is a great way for people to move over to a whole food based diet and cutting out all of the processed foods we have is an amazing way to immediately improve your health.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2016, 11:03:14 PM »

100% agreed.

Everything I've read about longevity populations living right now, today, suggests whole, un-processed, mostly plant-based foods and minimal meats are most associated with making it to 70, 80, and beyond in good health and with minimal levels of age-related diseases, food-wise. Look up Okinawa (as mentioned), Nicoya, Ikaria, Loma Linda, and Sardinia. They aren't ducking carbs; they're eating whole foods and making it to old age in much better health than folks anywhere else. Is it just the food? Nah...other factors are present (strong social connections, natural exercise, a sense of purpose), but the food part is easiest to replicate, and the formula is more or less the same everywhere.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2016, 08:14:19 PM »
In terms of lbs on the scale it makes zero difference what you eat. 1000 calories of chicken and rice is the same as 1000 calories of ice cream in that regard.

What it DOES make a difference in is: digestion, energy, muscle mass retained, etc.

So it's silly when people say, "I did this diet and lost all this weight." Well, that's because they ate less calories. If they simply would've cut back on their regular foods it would have had the same effect.

Personally, I need carbs for energy. I can get them relatively low, but if I switch to like all veggies I just get starving. At my peak fitness/bodybuilding levels I was having around 300-400g protein and 500ish grams of carbs. All while being 220lbs and about 10% BF at just under 5'10.

At the end of the day, unless you have an actual disease, it's all just trial and error. Everyone's bodies are different. What works for one may not for another, and when you start really trying to optimize energy levels and maintaining muscle mass while losing fat, it opens up a whole new ball game. If there's one thing I have figured out, it's that fats, make me gain fat. Period. My body just doesn't process them that well. I don't shy from the standard fats, but I don't work nuts into my diet regularly either.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »
At the end of the day, unless you have an actual disease, it's all just trial and error. Everyone's bodies are different. What works for one may not for another, and when you start really trying to optimize energy levels and maintaining muscle mass while losing fat, it opens up a whole new ball game.

I don't think that this is really true. Our bodies aren't that different. I also think that there is a difference between a focus on muscle mass and a focus on health. It you are focussed on health than a Paleo or any low carb/high meat diet is basically unhealthy for you. If you are focussed on muscle mass that style of diet probably works really well.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2016, 08:57:11 PM »
I think nutritional science is still too new for anyone to me making definitive statements about health.

I mean, eating saturated fat increases HDL*. And higher HDL is metabolic marker connected with decreases in an individuals chance of developing cardiovascular disease.

But shit (!) eating animal protein increases many cancer markers and will probably give you cardiovascular disease

What's a boy to do?

Everyone can pick their diet camp, but it's not a hill anyone should defending too vigorously. In the end, we're all going to be wrong. The science just isn't mature enough.

*The links are provided for honesty, not because I'm trying to be a know-it-all dick. I hope that comes across.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2016, 05:50:37 AM »
At the end of the day, unless you have an actual disease, it's all just trial and error. Everyone's bodies are different. What works for one may not for another, and when you start really trying to optimize energy levels and maintaining muscle mass while losing fat, it opens up a whole new ball game.

I don't think that this is really true. Our bodies aren't that different. I also think that there is a difference between a focus on muscle mass and a focus on health. It you are focussed on health than a Paleo or any low carb/high meat diet is basically unhealthy for you. If you are focussed on muscle mass that style of diet probably works really well.

I absolutely agree there is a difference between a focus on muscle mass and health. I agree that in long term health wise, eating a ton of meat is not ideal. In fact, eating a lot in general isn't ideal, even if you aren't fat.

In regards to being different, I don't think it's any sort of wildly different. Some people just process macronutrients better than others. Just look at this thread. All the people that feel better doing different things and can't digest certain things well.

Personally, I'm part of the "don't knock it till you try it" crowd. I experiment TONS. What I personally believe is moderation and avoiding processed foods and those high in sugar. Have a balanced diet in moderation with those in mind, and it would benefit 95% of the population.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2016, 06:48:04 AM »
Paleo is great; my GF and I have been eating that way for almost three years.  She's lost 50+lbs and is continuing to lose.  We both feel the best we ever have.  Neither of us have gotten sick since we started unless we did something stupid (lack of sleep generally).

I, too, hope the "trendiness" of Paleo goes away, at least to the extent of going to the store and seeing "Paleo bars" (that are anything but) or seeing recipes all over for "paleo pancakes" or "paleo pop tarts" and other fake horseshit.  They're the processed-soy-fake-meat of the Paleo world and just as awful for you (and expensive generally).

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2016, 07:09:04 AM »

I would disagree that Vegan is the best and the studies I have read would indicate that Vegan plus fish would be overall healthier than vegan.  Now no red meat/butter/cream is undoubtedly healthier.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »
I think nutritional science is still too new for anyone to me making definitive statements about health.

I mean, eating saturated fat increases HDL*. And higher HDL is metabolic marker connected with decreases in an individuals chance of developing cardiovascular disease.

But shit (!) eating animal protein increases many cancer markers and will probably give you cardiovascular disease

What's a boy to do?

Everyone can pick their diet camp, but it's not a hill anyone should defending too vigorously. In the end, we're all going to be wrong. The science just isn't mature enough.

*The links are provided for honesty, not because I'm trying to be a know-it-all dick. I hope that comes across.

I see on the internet these days a lot of folks who pick a camp and stick to it without much in the way of backup other than an ultra specific reductionist study or two. Those are nice for scientists over the long term to pile up data and MAYBE in a few lifetimes come up with an answer to a close to ideal human diet.

In the mean time though for an individual it'd be a good idea to measure over time markers that we know mean greater health and longer life. Cholesterol and triglycerides, weight and bodyfat, physical ability. If you're doing that, it'll be apparent when you change diets whether the needles move or not. I know from doing it, that a higher protein, meat based diet swings me into to higher bodyfat and higher cholesterol numbers which obviously isn't healthy even if Mark's daily apple says something different. If I severely restrict carbs I can lose the bodyfat but feel like total dogshit (that's a scientific marker) and my speed/endurance on the bike drops like a rock.

So yes, I very much agree. Start with something that rings true in terms of health. Diets that stress real, mostly unprocessed foods are a good sign. Try one, measure your health and be honest with the results even if you want them to be something other than what they are. And even if the results are 'ok', try another, the results might be better!!

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »
I am eating generic low carb to control T2 diabetes. Four months ago I weighed 300lbs, with an A1C of 11.0, and my lipid panel was so terrible I can't even remember the numbers (everything was out of whack).

I got blood work back last week. HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, triglycerides were all in their desired range and A1C was fantastic. Specifically my A1C went from 11.0 to 5.8, and I also managed to lose 35 lbs. The weight loss is continuing and my guess is that in 6 months my A1C will settle out around 5.5 and I should lost at least another 30lbs (started at 300, now 265, hoping for 235 by summer and 200 by end of year).

My doctor seemed skeptical when I told him I had just started this diet back in October. After the blood work came back he was super happy and told me to keep doing it. For diabetics who know A1C numbers, 11.0->5.8 while taking less medication will speak volumes about what this diet does. Now I just take generic Metformin as the only drug required for diabetic control.

I don't put much stock in Paleo or Atkins or Whole30 or whatever flavor of low carb is currently en vogue. Just get all the damn sugar and excess starch/carbs out of your diet and eat lots of meat and veggies. I drink alcohol (blue cheese olive vodka martinis), have caffeine, artificial sweeteners, lots of things that will invariably break the rules of one of the low carb programs. Know what? It doesn't seem to affect things. Look at what those programs have in common and you will know what's actually important. 

Give it a try, don't be too dogmatic about any one program, just get the crap out of your diet. If you're doing 90% of your shopping around the periphery of the grocery store and mostly avoiding the aisles you'll probably be fine. The one caveat I will add is DON'T SABOTAGE YOURSELF. When you adapt to this diet, your appetite almost disappears. Your blood sugar levels will be ruler flat throughout the day, hunger cravings go away, and it becomes very easy to stick with. As soon as you start sabotaging yourself by "cheating" cravings will come back and you'll have difficulty sticking with the diet. These diets do work for weight loss by caloric restriction, but it's because they regulate your blood sugar better throughout the day and you end up with almost no hunger cravings, so you naturally eat less without having to try.

I even hate to use the word "cheating" because cheating gets you ahead without putting in the work. Going off this diet does the exact opposite, it puts you behind and makes you work more. A low carb diet is the real cheat, you start to fix a lot of health problems with it and all you have to do is eat is buttered steaks, cobb salads, bacon and eggs, and lots of other wonderful foods. If that isn't the most awesome cheat I don't know what is.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:48:25 AM by acanthurus »

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »
See this wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study

The China Study is " ... based on the China-Cornell-Oxford Project, a 20-year study – described by The New York Times as "the Grand Prix of epidemiology" – conducted by the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Cornell University and the University of Oxford."

This study included participants from 65 rural counties in China, each of which had followed basically the same diet for their whole life and each of which consumed varying levels of animal protein.  Blood cholesterol levels were closely correlated with consumption of animal protein, and to the development of Western diseases such as " ... coronary heart disease, diabetes, leukemia, and cancers of the colon, lung, breast, brain, stomach and liver".  The higher the level of animal protein consumed, the higher the level of disease.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!