Author Topic: Dishwasher vs Hand Washing  (Read 37453 times)

zoltani

Re: Dishwasher vs Hand Washing
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »
I enjoyed tetris as a child, so I get some kind of weird satisfaction from loading the dishwasher, like tetris for adults.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »
100 replies on washing dishes.  Any volunteers to come do mine?  I have a sink and a dishwasher - your choice!! 

Sometimes I wash by hand, sometimes use the dishwasher.  Depends on how many dishes there are and the amount of time I have.  I don't mind washing by hand and know the method I use uses less water than the dishwasher.  The dishwasher detergent is also much more expensive than regular dish soap although the last detergent I got quite cheap with coupons. 

I'm going to summarize that the method of washing dishes is right up there with what direction you put the toilet paper on the holder - everyone does it their own way.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2015, 07:21:25 AM »
I don't think I understand this loading the dishwasher thing. When you're finished with a dish, either you set it in the sink or you set it in the dishwasher, depending on where you intend to wash it.

I thought that was obvious, but some people seem to think it's back breaking and time consuming to load a dishwasher.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2015, 12:11:39 PM »
I don't understand it either. Even if washing by hand takes only 5 minutes, it is 5 minutes more than I spend on the dishes.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2015, 12:20:41 PM »
I don't understand it either. Even if washing by hand takes only 5 minutes, it is 5 minutes more than I spend on the dishes.

Apparently you missed the responses where people enjoy it? 

That 5 minutes may be quite enjoyable.  What do you have to rush off to?

http://www.raptitude.com/2013/04/mindfulness-lives-in-the-sink/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »

On the surface it may seem that simple but reality is probably different than that. 

Here are the current steps that I could take if I were to use my dishwasher system as applied by many.  (and believe me I have seen this exact process many times ---frightening really)

1.  take dishes to sink
2. take pots/pan/sheets to sink
3. rinse dishes and utensils
4. turn and open dishwasher
5. find that it is full of washed dishes
6.  bend over and pick up a few dishes
7. turn
8.  walk 3 steps to counter
9.  Reach up and open cabinet
10 stretch to put clean dishes up
11.  turn
12.  return 3 steps to DW
13.  Repeat steps steps  6  -- 12 for 5-7 rotaions (fuck I'm exhausted already)
14.  Finally put the first dish in
15.  begin loading dishwasher by turning to right, bending and loading,  bending up,  turning to left
16. repeat step 15 4-6 times.
17.  Bend to open cabinet below sink
18. locate DW soap (because no one keeps it out)
19.  Turn to the right in a bent position
20.  Pour or load soap into DW
21.  Turn to left
22.  Return soap
23. Close cabinet
24.  turn to right in bent position again
25.  Close DW
26.  Push various buttons or turn knobs on DW
27.  Turn to left
28.  Your water has been running and is hot now.
28.5 Rinse pots and pans
29.  reach for soap (I keep mine out)
30.  Add soap to big pan
31.  Return soap
32.  Hand wash big pan with a sponge
32.  Hand wash other pots etc..
33.  Rinse said pots and pans turning to your right each time and placing them on the counter
34.  rinse sink with sponge and water.
35.  either wait for pots to dry or do several steps to retrieve dish towel and hand dry them
36.  After the pans and pots are dry do the whole twirl, walk, bend deal to put them in the bottom of your cabinets.
37.  Repeat 36 at least twice (shit I'm really tired now and I haven't even wiped down the stove or counter tops yet.
38.  You've done a good job on steps 1-37 so far. 
39.  3 hours later everyone wants a snack so you make a few snack plates and some drinks
40.  Crap more dishes and glasses and the DW is full of wet drying dishes (because we don't run the heat to save energy)
41.  Well shit,  you're not a let them sit in the sink sorta person so it is on to freaking hand washing the dishes and hand drying and repeating the whole twist, walk, open, reach deal.   
42.  Seems your finished with your dish washing duty.
43.  Whoops,  You forgot,  company is coming tomorrow so you want your DW empty.
44. well heck they are dry enough finally
45.  Repeat the whole steps 6-13 again.
46.  Thank the lord Jesus you are finally done having the Dish Washer wash your dishes.   

I'm sure some of you either add or have fewer steps on many occasions but I'm not kidding when I say I have seen this ballet in most homes. 

Tomorrow ---

Bob W's New Improved 10 Step Dish Washing Management System is Explained

It could save you 30 steps per day,  prevent repetitive movement back injuries and free up over 3,600 lifetime hours of your future time from the drudgeries of automatic dishwashing.  (your future self will thank you)

It is an entire system and new way about thinking of your dish cleaning management.  It was designed in a partnership between NASA, Chipotle and Elon Musk  so be prepared to be shaken to your core. 

zoltani

« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
Bob, you have entirely too much time on your hands! Are you already FIRE'd?

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »
Those who say no pre-rinsing. does it still apply if you only run the dw 1-2 times a week?
And when you say 'newer' dws, how new?

I always pre-rinse to avoid the dried out gunk, and also because my dw appears to be fairly old (maybe 15-20yrs old). But I suppose it may be worth doing an experiment where I don't pre-rinse and see what happens. Worst that can happen is I have to rewash it by hand...

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »
Arebelspy, for people who enjoy it it's a different story of course. I love cooking and do this very elaborately and from scratch every day, I find it tremendously relaxing. I can understand people find dishwashing relaxing as well. What I do not understand is how they state it is quicker, which is what my post was about.

Bob, for me the steps are:
1. When something becomes dirty, instead of putting it in the sink or on the countertop, put it in the dishwasher.
2. Before going to bed, switch on dishwasher (cheap energy rate)
3. Morning, while water is boiling for tea: open dishwasher and put things in cupboards, which I can reach from the dishwasher without moving a step.

Would probably hate a 10 steps program if my three step one is so efficient but I am curious now! Do we really have to wait to tomorrow? :-)

* Shamantha thinks that if her back can't stand bending 2x30 times a day she would feel she has serious health issues she should work on.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:48:42 PM by Shamantha »

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »

On the surface it may seem that simple but reality is probably different than that. 

Here are the current steps that I could take if I were to use my dishwasher system as applied by many.  (and believe me I have seen this exact process many times ---frightening really)

1.  take dishes to sink
7. turn
11.  turn
15.  begin loading dishwasher by turning to right, bending and loading,  bending up,  turning to left
21.  Turn to left
22.  Return soap
23. Close cabinet
25.  Close DW
27.  Turn to left
28.5 Rinse pots and pans
30.  Add soap to big pan
31.  Return soap
33.  Rinse said pots and pans turning to your right each time and placing them on the counter
35.  either wait for pots to dry or do several steps to retrieve dish towel and hand dry them
36.  After the pans and pots are dry do the whole twirl, walk, bend deal to put them in the bottom of your cabinets.
37.  Repeat 36 at least twice (shit I'm really tired now and I haven't even wiped down the stove or counter tops yet.
39.  3 hours later everyone wants a snack so you make a few snack plates and some drinks
40.  Crap more dishes and glasses and the DW is full of wet drying dishes (because we don't run the heat to save energy)
41.  Well shit,  you're not a let them sit in the sink sorta person so it is on to freaking hand washing the dishes and hand drying and repeating the whole twist, walk, open, reach deal.   
43.  Whoops,  You forgot,  company is coming tomorrow so you want your DW empty.
46.  Thank the lord Jesus you are finally done having the Dish Washer wash your dishes.   

I'm sure some of you either add or have fewer steps on many occasions but I'm not kidding when I say I have seen this ballet in most homes. 

Tomorrow ---

It could save you 30 steps per day,  prevent repetitive movement back injuries and free up over 3,600 lifetime hours of your future time from the drudgeries of automatic dishwashing.  (your future self will thank you)

It is an entire system and new way about thinking of your dish cleaning management.  It was designed in a partnership between NASA, Chipotle and Elon Musk  so be prepared to be shaken to your core.

Bob, you need to work on your efficiency. Try this:

1. Put dirty dishes in dishwasher and the ones you will wash by hand in the sink.
2. When dishwasher is full, add soap and turn it on.
3. When the dishwasher has finished, open to air dry.
4. Put the dishes away.

See how simple it is??

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2015, 05:31:41 PM »
Those who say no pre-rinsing. does it still apply if you only run the dw 1-2 times a week?

I always pre-rinse to avoid the dried out gunk, and also because my dw appears to be fairly old (maybe 15-20yrs old). But I suppose it may be worth doing an experiment where I don't pre-rinse and see what happens. Worst that can happen is I have to rewash it by hand...

Yes, I only run the dishwasher a couple of times a week unless I'm on a batch cooking tear. The dishwasher's from 2014, and it's not super expensive brand (a Whirlpool).

Mark31

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
I no more begrudge doing the dishes than hanging up the nappies. I can get time to myself and listen to a podcast, and there's more podcasts I want to listen to than I have time for, or I can do it with my spouse and have a chat. Similar to having a chat while walking, some form of mild activity makes conversations flow better than just sitting on a couch and looking out the window, or at the wall.

If I had a dishwasher I would have to find space in my kitchen for it, and it's just one more tech thing that will need replacing one day and end up in landfill.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2015, 09:50:40 AM »

Yes, I only run the dishwasher a couple of times a week unless I'm on a batch cooking tear. The dishwasher's from 2014, and it's not super expensive brand (a Whirlpool).

Just wanted to update: I did try running a couple of loads with no pre-rinsing, and the dishes came out clean! This is on a 19 year old Whirlpool, and some dishes that's been sitting dirty for 4 days or so. Thank you for giving me the kick I needed to save some water, a bit of soap, and especially time!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »
I don't mind hand washing, but in our house it's the sheer volume of dishes that makes this harder. We have three kids, and I would go crazy without a dishwasher long term. Sure, it's not necessary, but it is sure as hell is more convenient.

FWIW, we generate enough dishes to run it almost everyday.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2015, 08:16:07 AM »
I timed myself doing dishes one day just to see how long it really takes ... 5 minutes (taking my time)... full sink full - and that is dried and put away ... my husband loves doing dishes and hates to see them sitting there so I guess we are a good "dishes-doing" match lol... no electric dishwashers here

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »

1.  take dishes to sink
7. turn
11.  turn
21.  Turn to left
22.  Return soap
23. Close cabinet
25.  Close DW
27.  Turn to left
28.5 Rinse pots and pans
30.  Add soap to big pan
31.  Return soap

Tomorrow ---

Love this breakout!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2015, 08:31:42 AM »
My pleasure

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2015, 11:34:50 PM »
100 replies on washing dishes. 

I know! I noticed this and thought 'surely they've all gone off topic'. But, no.

travelbug

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2015, 05:03:29 PM »
I enjoyed tetris as a child, so I get some kind of weird satisfaction from loading the dishwasher, like tetris for adults.

Me too! I aim for optimal stacking results each time. It drives DH crazy when I restack after he has put stuff in. I just cannot understand how he cannot see the patterns...LOL

I am in camp dishwasher.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »

1.  take dishes to sink
7. turn
11.  turn
21.  Turn to left
22.  Return soap
23. Close cabinet
25.  Close DW
27.  Turn to left
28.5 Rinse pots and pans
30.  Add soap to big pan
31.  Return soap

Tomorrow ---

1. Put dirty dishes in dishwasher and the ones you will wash by hand in the sink.
4. Put the dishes away.

See how simple it is??

Sorry to mention it but you forgot a step. After step #25 when you close the DW the next step should be to hunt down your reading glasses so you can see what buttons to push to turn it on.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2015, 08:16:05 PM »
I'm one of those people who uses the dishwasher for plates, glasses, and flatware, and handwashes everything else. 
It takes me 10 minutes and I only do it 3x per week.  Nothing like 30 min per day.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2015, 07:11:56 AM »

1.  take dishes to sink
7. turn
11.  turn
21.  Turn to left
22.  Return soap
23. Close cabinet
25.  Close DW
27.  Turn to left
28.5 Rinse pots and pans
30.  Add soap to big pan
31.  Return soap

Tomorrow ---

4. Put the dishes away.

See how simple it is??

Sorry to mention it but you forgot a step. After step #25 when you close the DW the next step should be to hunt down your reading glasses so you can see what buttons to push to turn it on.
Thanks for catching that!   

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
The reading glasses part is a vital step. Was trying to turn on my son's dishwasher this weekend and I couldn't read anything on the front panel. The dishwasher is stainless steel and the glare in the kitchen was just right that the buttons were not readable. Under the sink was a bottle that said "DAWN" on the label. I could read that just fine

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »
The reading glasses part is a vital step. Was trying to turn on my son's dishwasher this weekend and I couldn't read anything on the front panel. The dishwasher is stainless steel and the glare in the kitchen was just right that the buttons were not readable. Under the sink was a bottle that said "DAWN" on the label. I could read that just fine

Yes definitely "Dawn!"  That stuff rocks.   A little dab will do ya.     

So as this thread progressed I have been paying more attention to our household dishwashing habits.   It appears I was totally wrong about this all.   The best thing to do is to have a good wife that either hand or dishwashers you dishes.   It appears I have been sliding in this category.   I typically do 90% of the cooking, grocery shopping and menuing.   I'm not opposed to the dishes but it appears DW likes them taken care of straight after dinner while I prefer to let them soak until whenever.    So I have now figured out that she takes care of the dishes 85% of the time.   So she can choose to do them however she likes.

Now if I could only get her to shop and cook?

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »

Pick your battles :)

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2015, 08:10:28 AM »

Pick your battles :)
Geez I must be in the "exceptional" category of wives - I cook, shop, and do the dishes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!