Author Topic: Did you pick up any new hobb(ies) during the quarantine ??  (Read 3074 times)

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
Re: Did you pick up any new hobb(ies) during the quarantine ??
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »
I splurged and spent about $100 on new hobbies.  Bought a Ukulele and a song book (tip: there are LOADs of free songs online too, but I wanted a book for offline play).  I also bought one of those 5D Diamond painting kits - I've been working on that for a couple nights and I'm hooked.  Similar to counted cross stitch, but it's applying little beads to a glue-y canvas.  I don't have anywhere to display these so  don't want to do too many, but they're fun.
[/quote

I bought a 5D diamond craft kit too! Donít know why they call it painting since no paint is involved. The finished product is very pretty. Also did four paint-by-number oil paintings that are now gracing our dining room wall.

lutorm

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 09:03:35 PM »
The closure of daycare sure brought on a whole new hobby: The 24/7 working toddler parents.

SpaceCow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2020, 09:26:40 PM »
I started smoking weed.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »
Riding my ebike more. Working more on the house. Want to get back to restoring various old things - cars, scooters, furniture, etc.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2020, 12:29:40 PM »
Because my bike commute is no longer a thing, I've re-acquainted myself with my old heavy bag and am running through a few hours of old Thai boxing drills that I can remember from more than ten years ago when I used to compete.  Forgot how fun it is to hit stuff hard until you're dripping sweat.  :P

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2020, 12:40:36 PM »
Now this is not the usual stuff you've been doing but new ones.
I love playing golf and the golf courses are open but I haven't gone once yet.
Stuff I've picked up that I have never done before.

1) Stock market. I usually spend 2-4 hours each day looking at the market. Have never bought stocks before(just mutual funds) and I find it a bit exciting. Still very much a noobie but its fun learning. Overall I'm ahead so that's a great thing.

2) Wood crafting. This is a hobby I surely will keep when I do retire. I bought myself a miter saw and you can make some quality wood stuff with that. I've been making garden beds and such for the wife. The funny thing is now when I look for deals, I'm trying to buy more tools to make my crafting easier.

3) Yard work. I used to hate this stuff. I haven't cut my own lawn in about 4 yrs. Its cumbersome. The grass cutting is tolerable but the trimming and edging I hate. Since I'm not doing anything I decided to cancel my lawn service(he didn't like it). My first time re-doing it, I find the trimming/edging still cumbersome. Went out and bought a cordless trimmer/blower and Holy Crap, its life changing. Why did I wait so long to buy cordless tools ?? I really enjoy keeping my yard pristine now.

My wife approves #2 and # 3 very much. She's OK with #1 probably cause I'm actually making a little money.
Wife's till working so I'm also doing most of the cooking and cleaning at home.

I learned how to do auto paint chip and minor scratch repair (fill, cut, wetsand, buff). Might turn it into a money making hobby.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »
Started researching and YouTubing ideas for a couple of DIY garden projects that I'd like to play with.

1. I'm learning how to do an acrylic paint pour on canvas - fun art for our dining room wall that I'm re-designing.
2. I have done a few small concrete projects before but hunted down some ideas on how to do a huge tropical leaf birdbath and later a cascading leaf fountain. I'm a bit hesitant because I know the pieces will be heavy, but I'm tempted because if you do it right it looks great and I really want a fountain and a birdbath in my new garden area.
It's about 34 ft by 18 ft and turned out better than I hoped for a first year garden. It would benefit from the sounds of splashing water and a bit of garden art. The birds which are all very well fed next door will have a welcome source of water.

Garden Art
1. My plan is to build a small column (6 or so feet tall and one concrete block stone wide). To be topped with a really cool ceramic skeleton head we already have. The skeleton head will be illuminated from the inside since it is really a small chimenea.
I'm thinking of stuccoing the outside and midheight insert a block that has an opening toward the front (if I lay it sideways).
In that opening, I want to insert a resin-covered glass piece - resin mixed with acrylic pour paint and lit from within, maybe do a mixed media piece.
Work - plans in progress...

2. Doing a resin acrylic paint pour on a small outdoor tabletop - something fun and funky and colorful, because I can:). Pricing, ordering the paints and resin this week.

3. Meanwhile a yard art birdbath is my next project - made from recycled items I already own, just need some silicone to hold everything in place.

4. Making a concrete fountain with cascading big tropical leaves - that's at the bottom of my list at the moment, might wait till fall.

5. Doing a trial run for a smaller fountain with three small/medium leaves using an old fountain pump to get the gist of it - maybe I can use the small version together with the one large leaf birdbath I want to try first.

6. I have an old bowling ball that I want to either spray paint or use up some leftover paint and glass art on - that will be a quick and free project, I even have enough alcohol to clean it up with due to Covid hoarding.

So some of it will cost next to nothing and some of it will require a bit more skill and $$. I don't mind the cost, I consider it entertainment, education and home-garden improvement.

Gardening - not new, but expanded and experimented
Added a new garden area, tried new plants, raised a ton of seedlings for the first time and experimented with Permaculture.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2020, 02:23:47 PM »
The closure of daycare sure brought on a whole new hobby: The 24/7 working toddler parents.

AH ha ha, feel you.  Not toddlers, but 2 kids.

I don't really have time for new things.  Many things I'd like to have time for.  I guess
- I'm sleeping about the same.
- I'm reading more (no commuting).  I'm already at 21 books, last year I read 27.
- I'm trying new workouts.  I started this whole thing by running too much.  I finished a full weight training program on Beachbody and just started a new one.  The old one was a lot of traditional weight training moves.  The new one is a lot more challenging.  Faster paced.  A lot more emphasis on pullups and pushups.  A LOT of balance work.  Good time to try new things, eh?