intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
delete
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »
delete
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:06:57 AM by intotherealworld »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: About to become a doctor and have a real income. Many questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:55:27 AM »
Questions

• In Australia, what are the best methods to legally reduce taxable income? I have heard about salary sacrificing and family trusts. Are there other super important things to know about?
    • Is investing in a single Vanguard index fund that has multiple components (shares, property, bonds etc) considered appropriate diversification?
    • How can I figure out if buying is a better idea than renting? I would only buy as an investment, not just because I want to live somewhere. I don't have set plans over the next few years and would like the flexibility to move around. Would it ever be a good idea to buy a house, live there for a year, then rent it out after moving?

1) Don't work? Go on Centerlink? In all seriousness, that is legally the best way.

As a hospital worker you may be entitled to the Meal Entertainment rort sorry, fringe benefit allowance. This has now been capped at $5,000 per year, but will allow you to salary sacrifice $5k into a meal card.

You can also salary sacrifice into super (up to the concessional contribution cap of $30,000 a year. Do the maths and make sure your 9.5% contribution + your salary sacrificed component combined doesn't go over $30k.

A trust isn't going to work if you are a PAYG employee. Run your own medical practice and you may have some options.

2) Yes and no depending on who you are asking. Just as everyone has a bum-hole, everyone has an opinion on this. I take the view that if you don't want to diversify, you need to be absolutely sure you've researched the shit out of the stock you're in. This should exclude the vast majority of punters.

3) Depends where you want to live and how attached you are to your job. Don't be shy, tell us what part of Australia you're from. If you're working at, say, Royal North Shore or St Vincents in Sydney then you may have some problems purchasing a place. If you're working in outback South Australia then it's a whole different story.[/list]

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
    I don't have specific answers (sorry), but as another doctor, I would highly recommend whitecoatinvestor.com. It's not all Mustachian advice, and it's based in the US so it won't apply to all things Australian, but it does have some good information. You're wise to look into financial independence. I don't know one physician who isn't burned out and who wouldn't retire in a second if they could, so you'll be putting yourself in a good position if/when burnout hits you.

lolzmonster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    « Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 11:11:25 PM »
    Hi intotherealworld :) welcome to the forums,

currently living in Perth, but my brother is also about to start working as a doctor too, so I guess I can relate a bit xD

1) for reducing taxes, your biggest reductions would be taxable deductions, in the form of deductions for expenses like education, books, uniform, laundry, travel and parking. Any of these that have to do with the earning of income at your job, you can deduct. BUT i highly recommend you check the ato website for further detail. If you intend to deduct, MAKE SURE YOU KEEP RECIPTS!! As someone who has worked with the big four and seen a client get audited, I cannot stress the importance of keeping documentation and evidence!

Another possiblity is tax offsets, but I doubt you'd have access to any that could help you there. Yes, contributing extra into super works and that gets taxed at 15%, but if you're anything like me and hate working because perth (or more other corporate environments in Australia) have crappy office politics (yes applies even to doctors), you'd wanna get out fast. But its always an option.

For trusts, you should definitely consult with an expert. I've worked on the tax returns for doctors before and I'd say you would benefit a lot more from a tax expert than without one, especially since your payment for tax services with accountants is deductible too!

2) Personally I recommend starting with one like VAS to VTS (which are exchange traded funds ETFs), for the cost of $20 on average in brokerage, you can buy a parcel of shares each month, which is a great way to start. Great advantage of ETFs is that they have much lower management expenses than index funds, even despite brokerage costs (that is if you are buying >$4000 each time). If you are still 20-30, I would definitely prioritise an emergency fund first and foremost, and then after decide what asset allocation you want. (personally if you feel secure in your job and you have 3-6 months worth of reserves, I would go 90 stocks - 10 bonds, or 20 bonds - 80 stocks).

If you feel a bit undiversified, get both VAS(australia) and VTS(world) and VGS(govt bonds). This is a pretty classic model that a lot of investors use, and would pretty much diversify you well across the asset classes :)

3) Honestly its a big judgement call here, in the long run property will definitely pay-off, the main factor comes down to location and the "quality" of the property. I would highly highly recommend getting an expert to survey any property you want to buy, since the layman wouldn't be able to identify such issues.

In terms of main residency, if you call it main residence for 1 year, and rent it out for 1 year, as long as you establish intention that it is your main residence, selling it later will not accrue capital gains, UNLESS you are out of the property for more than 6 years. But I must warn you that investing in your first property is something you should research first, and one strategy is maybe to rent in the area you intend to stay and scope out the "feel" of the area first.

Edit: Also, i forgot to mention, but you if you have any debt, I would definitely focus on paying that off first, especially since im sure your debt would be practically 6 digits if you had one. Not exactly something you want hanging around if they ever change the HECS debt interest charges in the future.

Hope this helps :)
    « Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:15:43 AM by lolzmonster »

happy

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:41:52 AM »
    Welcome, yay another Aussie doc!
    Not too much to add you've already gotten good advice.

As an intern and whilst you are a JMO, you'll be salaried and apart from the usual expenses, and salary sacrifice into super and salary packaging there aren't too many fancy tax moves you can make.  If you chose to use an accountant to do your tax, shop around….mine costs $160.  One of my registrars was quoted $4-700 for doctors by a firm…some places will try to rip you off just because you're a doctor.  In fact this is quite common….I really try to avoid telling service providers like tradesmen, hairdresser etc that I'm a doctor - I'm sure the price goes up: so for anything that is not fixed price, or when you want to negotiate, my advice is don't let on you're a doc.

I don't know one physician who isn't burned out and who wouldn't retire in a second if they could, so you'll be putting yourself in a good position if/when burnout hits you.
    I reckon this is an exaggeration but in my mid 50s, I'm definitely burnt out. I still really enjoy helping people, but find it hard to muster much enthusiasm for the daily grind.  I think you have the right idea,  save, invest, become FI, and then you have options. You can stay in medicine for as long as you want, but sometimes after 10,15,20 years one wants to do something different.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!