Author Topic: Debating getting a Peloton bike  (Read 10312 times)

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Debating getting a Peloton bike
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2021, 10:12:42 AM »
If you already have a bike, it may be worth just getting an indoor bike trainer stand so you can just hook up your own bike to it. I have seen these as low as $70 and as high as $1200.

This. And a subscription to Zwift is $14.99 a month I think for unlimited virtual reality type biking and races. They also have power building plans, etc.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2021, 10:15:04 AM »
As a personal trainer and a student of body aging for 20+ years, I would advise against a Peleton bike for many reasons, #1 being way too much aerobic exercise  ( free radical damage) on the body.
Would your ancestors run 20 miles or bike 100 miles( obviously they weren’t biking 😁)week for no reason? No because they would deplete their energy stores with no guarantee to refill..  They were running after prey and running from being prey. They would take long walks to forage a new area. Our genes haven’t changed that much in thousands of years, so you want to emulate that activity. Your heart is like any other  muscle, and the amount of cardio you would do with a Peleton, is way too much volume on your heart, definitely overtraining it. Stimulate not annihilate holds true with biceps as it does with your heart..
You hear about runners dying of a heart attacks, some is diet and hereditary, but it’s also the overtraining of the heart. I have about 400 dollars of equipment: barbell, squat rack, bench and dip/ pull up station and that is all you need folks. After a heavy day of squats (anabolic), I’m burning fat sitting on the couch next day while you are only burning calories (and muscle - catabolic)while your are on the Peleton .
Another negative is too much cardio ages you faster. Way too much free radical damage. Every time you exert force on your body your causing free radical damage, best to train optimally: squats pulls ups deadlifts etc. you put 100 fifty years olds in a room and half are runners for 20+ years and half not, I bet with 90% accuracy I can separate the two groups because the runners will indeed look older.

As an ironman, I'll just say I 100% disagree with all of this. Yes, lifting is good for your body. But riding on a bike is not going to destroy you genetically.  Runners have a much lower rate of heart attack than the general public. Yes you "hear" about it because it is rare and unexpected and has to do with genetic propensity towards heart attacks. Not because they run too much.

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2021, 11:06:14 AM »

As an ironman, I'll just say I 100% disagree with all of this. Yes, lifting is good for your body. But riding on a bike is not going to destroy you genetically.  Runners have a much lower rate of heart attack than the general public. Yes you "hear" about it because it is rare and unexpected and has to do with genetic propensity towards heart attacks. Not because they run too much.

Agree 100% with this. Unless it becomes an unhealthy obsession, and you carry around too little body fat for too long (say below 6% for men, and below 12% for women), one cannot be too fit...as your body keeps adapting to the demands placed on it. As you become more experienced in whatever exercise you choose, it takes longer for the body to adapt to the stress, but it will adapt.

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2021, 12:16:21 PM »
When you invest, don't you want to do it optimally?  Same with working out. I enjoy basketball, surfing , etc, but incorporate them with weight training as optimally as possible.

Riding a Peleton for 200+ miles a week is suboptimal, for both your body and wallet.

Studies done on marathon runners found that even after finishing extreme running events, athletes’ blood samples contain biomarkers associated with heart damage.

These damage indicators usually go away by themselves, but when the heart endures extreme physical stress over and over, the temporary damage may lead to remodeling of the heart or physical changes such as thicker heart walls and scarring of the heart.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:25:08 PM by PJC74 »

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2021, 01:00:47 PM »
Not saying extreme amount of running doesn't impact the heart, but a lot of those studies that make it sound so bad are taken out of context IMO. They usually try to balance the population and only compare runners vs non runners with the same BMI and other health attributes. Well, sure if you are perfectly healthy without running it is probably better not to put your heart through the rigger, but it completely ignores that for some people that is how they got healthy in the first place and would've had those health issues if not for running.

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »
I agree if you need to spend 2k+ on a bike for motivation, it beats being sedentary eating chips, but it's far from optimal.

I can think of 100's of free exercises that you would get more bang for your buck for. Try a set of body weight squats, 30 seconds on 30 off for 5 min. great anaerobic and aerobic :)

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2021, 04:10:34 PM »

My Echelon was $497 new with 6 months of free spin classes.  That is far more motivating.  Who's going to pick up large rocks in their yard long enough to lose 40 pounds?  LOL

I also spend hours biking outside in the summer.  Great exercise.  If you're overdoing it, your body will let you know.

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2021, 05:50:00 PM »
You can lose 40 lbs by diet alone, but I was being facetious with rocks.

My intent is not to piss folks off so this is my last comment on this subject.

I’ll put it Mustachian terms: Peleton bike is an Annuity and squats/pull ups, sprints, farmers walks are VTSAX 😎

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2021, 05:54:51 PM »
You can lose 40 lbs by diet alone, but I was being facetious with rocks.

My intent is not to piss folks off so this is my last comment on this subject.

I’ll put it Mustachian terms: Peleton bike is an Annuity and squats/pull ups, sprints, farmers walks are VTSAX 😎

Maybe you could start a thread on this, would be interesting to see what you recommend for an average joe.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2021, 09:19:56 PM »
I have a cheap-o amazon stationary and a peloton subscription. It’s not perfect but it works and it’s a nice way to get exposed to the classes.

Zette

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2021, 08:33:31 AM »
I found a used spin bike on Craigslist for $100 and signed up for the Peloton app.  I’ve done spin classes at a gym and the ones on the app are as good or better, plus the convenience of not having to drive there and ability to take shorter classes on my schedule.   It was a good way to try it out and decide whether I would use it enough to make it worth upgrading to a better (used) bike.  It turns out the answer was no — same problem as the gym, I enjoyed the classes but the initial burst of enthusiasm faded over time. 

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2021, 08:48:29 AM »
Naive question here: Nevermind the Peloton bike itself but what does the app do that people find it worth spending money on?

Is it motivation?  Is it scenery?  Is it a type of program that is impossible to emulate on your own?

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2021, 09:45:03 AM »
Naive question here: Nevermind the Peloton bike itself but what does the app do that people find it worth spending money on?

Is it motivation?  Is it scenery?  Is it a type of program that is impossible to emulate on your own?

People who like the peloton enjoy spinning classes.  The app gives you live classes at pretty much any time of day, and it tracks everything.  The seamless data tracking is really nice.  It also allows you to compete against others in real time which is a big motivator.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:55:46 AM by HBFIRE »

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2021, 09:50:44 AM »

Motivation.
It’s not impossible to emulate on your own.  I run outdoors and use an interval timer on my Fitbit to tell me when to change up my pace.  Could do something similar when biking, I suppose.  But Peloton figured out the secret sauce, though with personalities, themes, challenges, measurements, music, etc.  The culture around it is massive.       

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2021, 09:50:58 AM »

Its the "all in one" package and perceived bestness / trendiness of it. Because the classes can be found (albeit not live) in many other platforms for much cheaper. Its just a person blasting music, telling you whether you're doing a hill or not and yelling at you to push harder. All of which can be found for free on youtube.

ohio4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »
I would not recommend one of these unless you love live spin classes already. It seems like there are a lot cheaper ways to do recorded spin classes with other equipment. My partner bought one and pays the monthly fee. I use it once a week or so when I don't want to go on an actual bike ride or run. I would much prefer to go outside. I also turn the volume off and listen to my own music/podcasts. I try to keep up with the resistance and cadence numbers on the screen without the audio cues. It's certainly not for everyone.

I also pretty mush swore of cardio for several years and almost exclusively lifted for exercise. I was heavily influenced by The 4 Hour Body in 2013. I do enjoy running and biking though and have started to get back into both in the last 2 years. It's kind of a mental health thing for me to exert myself aerobically, but I agree it shouldn't be overdone and other forms of exercise are likely better for cosmetic and physical health reasons.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2021, 10:45:22 AM »

I really enjoy Zwift because it simulates riding outside with the tension on the trainer. So when you hit a hill, you have to "pedal harder" to go up the hill. It actually incorporates draft calculations when you're riding in a pack. It has scenery. It has easter eggs (santa during Xmas eg). It has different maps and terrain so you can mix things up. What a lot of people like is doing "group rides" with friends where you can 'tether' to each other and ride in a group - open a discord channel, and it's like you're all riding together in a safe environment and can chat. Very covid friendly. And people that are super fast stay with people that are slow. It can be really cool. Other people really like racing and enjoy the challenge. I personally don't - I ride for exercise and fitness and to train for my IRL races. For $15/month, it's quite a bargain IMO. You can use a bike you already own (so it can double as an indoor and outdoor bike) and you can buy a 'dumb' trainer from Amazon for $100. Or get a nicer used 'smart' trainer for like ~$250. It's fairly cheap compared to a peleton.

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2021, 11:15:43 AM »
When you invest, don't you want to do it optimally?  Same with working out. I enjoy basketball, surfing , etc, but incorporate them with weight training as optimally as possible.

Riding a Peleton for 200+ miles a week is suboptimal, for both your body and wallet.

Studies done on marathon runners found that even after finishing extreme running events, athletes’ blood samples contain biomarkers associated with heart damage.

These damage indicators usually go away by themselves, but when the heart endures extreme physical stress over and over, the temporary damage may lead to remodeling of the heart or physical changes such as thicker heart walls and scarring of the heart.

Studies have also shown that runners have a much higher chance of survival compared to non runners. Non runners also are at a higher risk of disability compared to runners. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/770349

I think that both running and strength training prevent heart and other diseases. I don't think there is clear evidence that strength training is better than running for health.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »
My friend ordered a Peloton for her husband before Christmas. They promised late Jan/ early Feb delivery. I kept my eyebrow down and lip zipped. The delivery date just got pushed out another 60+ days.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2021, 11:30:24 AM »
My friend ordered a Peloton for her husband before Christmas. They promised late Jan/ early Feb delivery. I kept my eyebrow down and lip zipped. The delivery date just got pushed out another 60+ days.

Yeah we ordered ours last July, didnt receive until Oct.   

Zette

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2021, 03:29:13 PM »

It's basically access to spin classes online -- it's the combination of instructor personality, music, and length and intensity of the workout.  There are many instructors to choose from, with many music styles, and various intensities and workout length, all in one place.  I suppose you could get the same from YouTube with a little extra searching. 

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2021, 03:36:46 PM »

It's basically access to spin classes online -- it's the combination of instructor personality, music, and length and intensity of the workout.  There are many instructors to choose from, with many music styles, and various intensities and workout length, all in one place.  I suppose you could get the same from YouTube with a little extra searching.

I also think the bike inputting your numbers into the system is very motivating and provides accountability for some people. I could find a ton of free yoga YouTube videos online, including those made by teachers I know and like in real life, but I still pay for live Zoom yoga with those same people because I don't get distracted and wander away when someone is "watching" me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2021, 03:47:22 PM »
I suppose you could get the same from YouTube with a little extra searching. 

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/category/train-with-gcn

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2021, 08:56:04 AM »
My husband wanted an exercise bike, but we ended up getting a concept2 rowing machine since we're deep in the bowels of winter here to supplement my outdoor running (which still continues!) and his mountain biking.  Our basement has low ceilings so a bike would be pushing it, and I like the fuller body workout that the rowing machine provides.  We are kayakers in the summer but I'm new at the rowing machine so have been watching some videos about using the right form and concentrating on getting in some shorter 2000m and 5000m workouts to break myself in.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »
We ordered a Peloton in October for November delivery, right after the Bike+ was announced and resulting price reduction on the original Bike (paid $1895 IIRC). We received ours in right around 3 weeks, so unafflicted by the delays lots of others saw and continue to see.  My wife’s company (or our health insurance, one or the other) pays a stipend for gym membership that roughly offsets the $40/mo the Peloton service costs.

We did spin classes when we were younger (pre kids) and enjoyed them but just too hard to deal with now that we have young kids, time out of the house is precious and hard to come by. The Peloton makes it way easier to snatch 30-45 minutes for a workout with no set up/travel/etc time. And can use day or night in all weather.

Can it be done cheaper with a different bike/on a different platform?  I’m sure.  Does this make it painless and easy and seamless?  Absolutely. Also I’ve used way too many rickety crappy cheap workout products that really make it a chore to exercise, I’d rather spend a little more and get something I know is high quality. And so far have been very happy with the Peloton.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2021, 03:58:59 PM »
Seconding the Concept2 rower. Fabulous whole body workout. Easy on the joints. Great free youtube videos from Dark horse rowing. Got ours in September. Relatively quiet. Cost less than a grand. Super easy to set up. Easy to maintain.

badger1988

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2021, 04:39:05 PM »
Thirding the Concept2 rower. My favorite piece of stationary cardio equipment to use.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2021, 04:34:52 AM »
To those saying a bike trainer is less engaging than a Peloton class, those are targeted at very different groups.  Bike trainers are generally used by cyclists training as a sport, where a Peloton class is used by fitness enthusiasts.

For a relatively low cost way to bike, assuming you already have a bike of your own, get a wheel off trainer like the Wahoo Kickr or Saris H2/H3.  These will control the resistance, and feel way more realistic than a non smart trainer.

If you want interaction, then pay $15 a month for Zwift or another trainer app.

If you don't feel like paying $15 a month to use the trainer you just paid $700 for, then do what I do and create or find your own workouts at TrainerDay.com.  You can then download the files and use them for free with the ErgVideo program.  The program runs on my laptop through an Ant+ USB dongle to communicate with the trainer.  I just watch Netflix/Hulu/Youtube with some Bluetooth headphones while I bike.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:06:20 AM by kpd905 »

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2021, 04:36:29 AM »
Another shout out for Concept 2 rower. Mine is 17 years old and as good as new. All it needs is the occasional chain lubricant.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2021, 06:52:53 AM »
Re: rowers

I had a much cheaper rower for years and it worked very well. The Concept feels more true to actual rowing, but I'm not a rower, so I didn't care. Mine was about $400, I only got rid of it because I later injured my shoulder badly at work and my doctor told me to stop rowing.

Amazing workout, I really miss it.

mschaus

• Stubble
    • blog
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2021, 09:23:32 PM »
I'll also suggest a less expensive spin bike + iPad + Peloton app (or Zwift, free classes, etc) instead of a proper Peloton. You can get a Bowflex C6 / Schwinn IC4 with iPad for half the price of Peloton and get 95% of the benefit. Plus then you can use the bike with any app you want, and you have an iPad to boot.

I wrote about my analysis and how to optimize some of the apps here (no affiliate links):
https://mschausprojects.blogspot.com/2020/08/peloton-on-the-cheap.html

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2021, 04:22:01 PM »
Peloton is a great, love mine! Hubby won’t go near it. Luckily we have a small extra room I have it in. In the family room would be annoying.

Only thing better that Peloton is CrossFit (I’m running for cover now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2021, 06:04:15 PM »
They changed the name of the Echelon with Peloton Facebook group name to Pechelon.  lol

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pelotonplusecholon

Since my Echelon Sport bike came with a 6 month Echelon subscription for a total of $497, I haven't bothered to even try Peloton Digital or any other classes/videos, but most of the members of that group seem to be happy as can be using the Sport with the Peloton app.   Also, some members use the more expensive Echelon bikes that are $1000+.  Anyway, various members have treid the much more expensive Peloton and feel they're getting almost the same experience on the Echelon while saving a lot of money.

Edit:  corrected above - meant to say with "Peloton" app that most people in the Echelon group are happy with.  It's $13/mo rather $40/mo as it is with the more expensive Peloton bike.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:05:25 PM by American GenX »

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2021, 06:28:44 PM »
Pelotons are wonderful.  There are just so many points to hang clothes from!  And with the big flat screen on the top, you can drape a towel across it too!

Seriously though, Peloton is one of the better exercise bikes, but dedicated exercise equipment tends to be used only for a few months.  If you know you'll use it, maybe because you used a Peloton at the gym for a year before covid and are craving it now, then go for it.  Otherwise, consider
  • a normal bike that fits you
  • + an indoor trainer
  • + a TV/ipad/phone to watch movies
  • + add a fan when you reach the point of pushing it

and you'll have a quite a good and also flexible system, but without the monthly cost.  Take the bike out during the summer months every once in a while.

By all means include some weight training, it will help with muscular endurance.  And track your caloric intake if you are (or your husband is) trying to shed the covid bump.  It's really hard to out-exercise a bad diet.

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2021, 11:41:31 PM »
Sorry to ask a question and then get pulled away from the discussion. However, I just read everyone’s comments. I found them to be very interesting, particularly people’s experiences with high intensity training on general health as you get older. It’s a factor because we’re getting a little long in the tooth around our house.

For now, I think I’ll look into some of the low cost or free workouts and make an effort to get outdoors. One of my weaknesses is thinking you can buy motivation. Thanks for helping me think this through more clearly

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2021, 05:58:47 AM »
Pelotons are wonderful.  There are just so many points to hang clothes from!  And with the big flat screen on the top, you can drape a towel across it too!

Seriously though, Peloton is one of the better exercise bikes, but dedicated exercise equipment tends to be used only for a few months.  If you know you'll use it, maybe because you used a Peloton at the gym for a year before covid and are craving it now, then go for it.  Otherwise, consider
  • a normal bike that fits you
  • + an indoor trainer
  • + a TV/ipad/phone to watch movies
  • + add a fan when you reach the point of pushing it

and you'll have a quite a good and also flexible system, but without the monthly cost.  Take the bike out during the summer months every once in a while.

By all means include some weight training, it will help with muscular endurance.  And track your caloric intake if you are (or your husband is) trying to shed the covid bump.  It's really hard to out-exercise a bad diet.
Peloton actually stream a wide range of exercise programs on their app. You can turn the tv sideways on the newer bikes and do their floor exercise classes like yoga, body weigh exercises, boot camp, meditation, stretching. It’s all part of the monthly fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »
Peloton actually stream a wide range of exercise programs on their app. You can turn the tv sideways on the newer bikes and do their floor exercise classes like yoga, body weigh exercises, boot camp, meditation, stretching. It’s all part of the monthly fee.

Yeah, the Peloton app is not bad, and you can use it on Android or iPhone without buying the bike.  You can find similar stuff on youtube, but the app is convenient.  And if you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you can almost use the app for free this year.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:02:23 PM by mtnrider »

StachelessNicholas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2021, 09:10:30 AM »
My wife loves the Peloton and uses it everyday, while I ride my road bike on a trainer during the winter months with Zwift. Both are great tools for their intended purpose, but I will say I’ve been very impressed by the fit/finish of the peloton bike as a whole.

I can say with 100% certainty that she’d buy the peloton again without hesitation.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2021, 09:52:21 AM »
This discussion makes me realize (again) that I am not very competitive. Leaderboards are not a feature I want. Also, I hate biking up hills, so definitely would not pay for some that imitated that! LOL

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2021, 12:30:24 PM »
This discussion makes me realize (again) that I am not very competitive. Leaderboards are not a feature I want. Also, I hate biking up hills, so definitely would not pay for some that imitated that! LOL

Just turn the trainer to zero resistance and it'll be like coasting downhill.

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2021, 10:55:05 PM »
I love to ride bikes outside, I cant think of many forms of torture worse than biking in a room staring at a screen going nowhere, but that's me.  Half the fun is to be OUTSIDE, around REAL people whilst getting errands done.

They strike me as being very overpriced and upper middle class consumer sucka items.  Trendy, hip "look at me" type of piece.  I also suspect they'll find a way to make you upgrade something in a few years or risk getting bricked.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2021, 11:53:57 AM »
I love to ride bikes outside, I cant think of many forms of torture worse than biking in a room staring at a screen going nowhere, but that's me.  Half the fun is to be OUTSIDE, around REAL people whilst getting errands done.

They strike me as being very overpriced and upper middle class consumer sucka items.  Trendy, hip "look at me" type of piece.  I also suspect they'll find a way to make you upgrade something in a few years or risk getting bricked.

I'll bite. I can maintain fitness nights and evenings when the kids are in bed and still get exercise and entertainment. I still have another (eep!) bike I commute with or ride for pleasure. Also, when I'm training for ironman/triathlon - it's a great way to efficiently get your training in. Training on a trainer allows 0 'coasting' so it helps with fitness immensely. Nothing beats riding outside but it depends on a person's goals and ability to achieve those goals.

SavinMaven

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2021, 07:46:32 AM »
It's pretty hard to get a Peloton these days. I bought one in mid-October, paid in full. Booked delivery on the first available date, January 9th. January 8th came along, and they called me to tell me they had to bump my delivery date to March 31. I had no real reason to believe they had stock to fill that, either, so I canceled and got the refund. Good luck!

Joe Schmo

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2021, 08:24:38 AM »
I’ll just tell you my experience. I have the peloton app and a 200 dolla sunny exercise bike for Amazon. Had it for 2.5 year and done about 300 rides. I was never a biker in the first place but I really enjoy it.
The deal was I told my wife, why don’t we get a cheap one and use it for a year and if you still want a 4000 (or whatever) peloton then we’ll get one. I guess I turned into the biker and I’m too cheap to even want a peloton.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2021, 10:03:30 AM »

I like to ride outside also, but NOT around people, NOT for errands, and NOT around much traffic.  I ride on rural low traffic roads.

And also, I do NOT like to ride in cold temperatures.

The affordable Echelon bike mentioned earlier, whether using the Peloton Digital app or free videos, gives a nice alternative for exercise when it's below zero outside as it is now!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2021, 12:40:56 PM »
A long time ago I was reading a voluntary simplicity book that talked about "the Earth gym" and the joys of outdoor exercise.  I think the concept applies to all low equipment, low expenditure exercise, indoors or out.  If you are looking for a new form of exercise, I'd suggest looking for something that is simple and low equipment, rather than spending $2k on a Peloton.

You don't need any special equipment to get adequate aerobic exercise and stretching.  Just move your body an appropriate amount for your fitness goals.  Resistance training often does require more than body weight to do higher levels of training, but you can definitely get started with bodyweight exercises. 

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with spending money if you know you like a certain type of exercise and are going to do it.  I have a $90 used exercise bike that is my primary form of exercise when it's snowy and icy out.  I do all my resistance training with resistance bands, and I like that I don't have to have a basement full of iron to get a full body workout.  All the bands together cost about $100.  So I try to keep it simple and inexpensive while meeting my fitness goals and doing things I enjoy.

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2021, 01:41:39 PM »
I have had my Peloton for almost a year now and have logged close to 1000 rides, 300 stretches, and 175 strength training workouts. The cycling classes are so motivating with great instructors, music & tons of options. There are classes from 5 minutes to 90 minutes with all kinds of different types of music & teachers. You can do a low impact class one day and a high intensity class the next. I've done barre, yoga, plank, abs, stretching & outdoor running classes with Peloton. My first love is outdoor running, but it's pretty hard on the body over the long term. I bought the bike so I can do spin classes that are easier on my body, but still get great workouts. I used to do spin classes at the gym, but found them very overcrowded (sometimes couldn't even take the class after driving all the way to the gym) or had the bym bike not working after starting class. At the gym you don't get to pick the music, the instructor, the type of class or the time frame. I can spin more often because I can take low impact rides when my body needs a break. My whole family uses the bike. The app price is just one fee for everyone.

I have lost 120 pounds doing lots of different types of workouts at gyms, outside & indoors over the last 3 1/2 years. I love the Peloton because it's available no matter the weather or time of day.

I would disagree with the poster who said you can get as good of a workout with a pile of rocks. Thats pretty one sided and coming from someone who doesn't own a Peloton. Peloton has tons a strength training workouts & support groups for any age & ability. There is even a 70 year old group.

Working out for me has become much more than just losing weight or being active. It's more of mental health and confidence building. The Peloton plays a huge role in helping me to keep mentally healthy during these crazy times.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2021, 05:08:08 PM »
My DW and I got a Peloton Dec 2019 as a mutual Christmas gift.   
Best thing ever.  I have been doing way more workouts and my fitness has improved.

Better than dropping $2K on yet another widescreen TV upgrade!

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2022, 11:41:59 AM »
I just started a thread that was basically this. That's what happens when I don't do a search first.

Wanted to boost this thread up and say thanks everyone, this validated the strategy I'm pretty sure I'm going to implement: Buy a Bowflex C6 used off Facebook Marketplace and then subscribe to the Peloton app. Most of my friends have an actual Peloton and love it, so I'm stoked to find a way to do it without the massive cost.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »
That makes sense.  I’d be nervous about buying a Peleton right now.  The company is in big trouble.  Who knows how long they’ll be around to service the bikes.  The app is a much better way to go.  Less risk.