Author Topic: Dear Abby  (Read 8844 times)

ClaycordJCA

• Stubble
Dear Abby
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »
Had to laugh and just shake my head at today's column. A 50 year old woman wrote to say her friends were criticizing her and suggested she needed therapy because she decided to retire after losing her job a few years ago. Mind you that she has no debt, owns her own home and has an income of  $60,000 per year off of investments and an inheritance. Abby's response was to note that "50 is young to 'retire''" and suggest the counseling should be used to determine why the writer lacks "the motivation to be a contributing member of society."  So, I guess we all owe the world a living.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Re: Dear Abby
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »
The only people dumber than Jeanne Phillips (aka Dear Abby) are the people who take her advice.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:21:04 PM »
Made worse by the fact that Abigail van Buren has been dead for two years.  Talk about not knowing when to call it quits!

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
Had to laugh and just shake my head at today's column. A 50 year old woman wrote to say her friends were criticizing her and suggested she needed therapy because she decided to retire after losing her job a few years ago. Mind you that she has no debt, owns her own home and has an income of  $60,000 per year off of investments and an inheritance. Abby's response was to note that "50 is young to 'retire''" and suggest the counseling should be used to determine why the writer lacks "the motivation to be a contributing member of society."  So, I guess we all owe the world a living.

The humorous aspect of this aside, think of what the implications of Dear Abby's response are.  It's abnormal to retire earlier than (what??) 65... 70.  It's so abnormal that it calls for psychological therapy.  Also, the primary purpose of one's life is not to be happy and self-fulfilled.  Rather, it is to keep busting one's chops whether one needs to or not in order to be a "contributing member of society."  (And, pray tell, when does that obligation end, if ever??)

How would you like that claptrap legislated in some way?

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »
That poor woman (not literally, of course). I hope she didn't go out and get a job because of all the social pressure.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:28:08 AM »
Sounds like she should get some new friends.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »
OMG, that is just SHOCKING!!
So hard to believe...
Dear Abby thinks her fluff is contributing to society!!!  The GALL!

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 09:40:40 AM »
I can't recall her age, but I think she just assumes----as does most of society----that you 'have' to work or....what will you do?

Sad.

I hope the woman doesn't get a job she hates just to please a quasi-literary persona.

Matt_D

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »
I'm actually pretty skeptical that all jobs actually do contribute to society... so perhaps she's better off retired? As a retiree you can either take on jobs you previously couldn't afford, volunteer for things, show up to town/city/etc. meetings and advocate for things that you think are important for society, etc. All of those things are possible while not-retired, but a fair bit harder to work in around a full-time job.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »
Psych counseling is better than being referred to a death panel.

I think.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
I'm actually pretty skeptical that all jobs actually do contribute to society... so perhaps she's better off retired? As a retiree you can either take on jobs you previously couldn't afford, volunteer for things, show up to town/city/etc. meetings and advocate for things that you think are important for society, etc. All of those things are possible while not-retired, but a fair bit harder to work in around a full-time job.

Pretty sure my job has a net negative toward society consider its paid by public tax money and yet my department is so unorganized and inefficient that I spend the majority of my time surfing the internet and/or looking for a better job.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »
As a retired person you could easily contribute more thorough volunteering and community service, you would have much more time! Much more than most jobs, except for one at a well run nonprofit.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 05:52:52 AM »
+1

As a retired person you could easily contribute more thorough volunteering and community service, you would have much more time! Much more than most jobs, except for one at a well run nonprofit.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »

+2.  Since I've retired I volunteer and do more to help others now I have the time.  It's sad that people have the mentality that you must work an actual job in order to be a productive member of society.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »
Oh my goodness, I wonder what ailment she has, because I think I have it too. Perhaps I should find a counselor. My absolute worst case scenario has me stopping work at 50. More likely it'll be 40, so I must have a severe case.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »

Wow! I really want Dr. Doom to write a response to that Dear Abby.  His latest blog post is probably about as close as we'll get: http://livingafi.com/2015/11/06/done-detoxing/

Abby apparently thinks TFB and being busy in general is a good thing.  Not surprising, given our society.  Too bad that's the advice given though.  Like one can't have a fulfilling life without a formal "job."
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.