Author Topic: Commute - Distance  (Read 11666 times)

Lunasol

• Bristles
Re: Commute - Distance
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2016, 05:29:30 PM »
Thankyou to everyone describing anything over 40 minutes as "soul-crushing". Really know how to make a guy feel good.

I do 90 minutes each way.

It's not the end of the world. Honestly.... and besides, it gives me enough time to read the forums :)

this made me lol, I'm planning to go to a school that's 39 miles away from home, I also think I'll be okay

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It was a cold spring day in Casper, Wyoming.
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2016, 06:02:05 PM »
My current commute is about an hour one way.

I don't really mind, I can always pedal harder if I want to make it shorter.

Any longer though and I think it would end up being too large of a daily time sink. As it is, I'm getting 100+ minutes of exercise every day,

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2016, 06:28:32 AM »
I used to live 54km away from my job, so that meant anywhere between 1h30 (no traffic) to 2h20 on the road each day. For a while I enjoyed the commute, but last year I  realized I started to feel angry and stressed whenever there was too much traffic. I didn't like that it affected my mood so much. I also didn't like spending so much of my monthly income on gas and car maintenance.

Now, I live 4 km away from my job (10-12 minutes commute by car, could also commute by bike) and I honestly wouldn't go back. I cann be home before 4:30PM and finally enjoy more relaxed evenings. I think I've achieved a better balance. More than 30 minutes commuting each way would be difficult now (unless I start to commute by bike: then the commute would be longer, but I would also improve my health so it's not really an inconvenient).

Silrossi46

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »
I drive 7 miles.................  however it takes 30-40 minutes on some days  thank you new jersey!

The Owl and the Pussycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2016, 07:30:41 AM »
I drive about 17 miles each way so it takes about 30 mins to 40 mins each way.  Although in winter it can take much longer on the rural lanes in the snow.  However, I am leaving paid employment to go self-employed in Jan 2017 so it will be about 12 paces from bed to desk. 

My husband drives for about 1 hour and 20 mins each way (which is too long) so hopefully if I can get the company up and running he will be able to come and work with me from home.

We have no public transport where we live and spend about £3,000.00 a year on petrol (about $3,9000 US).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »
Thankyou to everyone describing anything over 40 minutes as "soul-crushing". Really know how to make a guy feel good.

I do 90 minutes each way.

It's not the end of the world. Honestly.... and besides, it gives me enough time to read the forums :)

this made me lol, I'm planning to go to a school that's 39 miles away from home, I also think I'll be okay

It's not just the time . . . it's how the time has to be spent.  Navigating through busy traffic in a car is stressful, if you have to spend an hour and a half or two hours a day that can totally be soul-crushing.  Kicking back and reading on a train for an hour can be quite pleasant.

Hideous Hog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • A man's best friend is his cat.
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »
My commute takes 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. That's the upper end of what I'm comfortable with.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »
I have a kind of interesting one with a "commute" of 150km one way, so 300km round trip but I only need to do it on Monday's and Friday's. During the week I can live in company supplied lodging so no costs to food, heat, gym, etc for the whole week.

Does it suck to do a 150km commute on a Friday afternoon, sure but is it worth it for a higher pay, more interesting work and lower living expenses during the week, absolutely! The alternative would be a 10min commute to the office and be a desk jockey all day.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
I had a 25 minute highway commute (literally 2 minutes of city on both ends of the commute.  I think that's the longest I would want to go.  I could listen to music, plan what I wanted for dinner, drink my water bottle, maybe call a friend with my handsfree.  I was basically sitting on auto-pilot the entire time due to the ease of the drive, which was a huge help.  I could have used cruise control most days if I wanted to.

Earlier in my career I had a 20 minute commute that was pretty bad.  I started rural/suburb & hit a lot of stop signs.  Then I got in the city, and waited at light.. after light.. after light, and had to drive around the block to find parking.  The roads were never strait, and I was always starting, stopping, turning, shifting gears.  Compared to my 25 minute highway commute which was relaxing, this was like starting work 20 minutes early.

Since those commutes I've learned my lesson, and I don't like to go > 10 minutes drive.  Bike time isn't as important to me, since that's just fun.  Right now my commute is 15 minutes biking or 5 minutes driving.  That takes me from the edge of my mid sized city, strait down the main street, to downtown where I work.  I feel bad for all the people living in big cities that have to make a trade off between high rent and long commute.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »
I had 30-45 minutes each way in heavy traffic, about ten miles.  That as way too long for me.  I've had 15min on open roads and less than 19 in congestion since, those have been fine.

Piwakawaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »
As of Monday, it will be a 2.5 mile bike ride, the majority of which is along a dedicated bike path. Happy days :D