Author Topic: Curious - What are the last 3 things you used until they completely wore out?  (Read 29167 times)

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have one pair of shoes and one black winter coat that have holes (and lots of them). I still keep them clean and in the closet and wear them to the occasional rock concert so I don't have to worry about beer on the floor ruining the shoes or throwing the coat somewhere when I want to dance.
2 T-Shirts had holes everywhere after a backpacking trip to India, because of the laundry treatment there. They were old anyway, so they stayed in India ;)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Just noticed my yoga/running pants (stretchy pants) have gotten to the threadbare/hole stage. Any recommendations for the next pair?

Geostache

• Stubble
My crockpot: the handle to the lid broke, but that wasn't enough to replace it. I kept using it until the switch broke too. I actually did a happy dance because I've wanted one with a timer for a long time, but couldn't justify purchasing a new one when I had one that still worked.

My REI coat: Bought in 2007 and wore it every day during the winter until last year when the zipper broke beyond repair. They replaced it because it was 'grandfathered' in to their lifetime warranty. Any new purchases are not subject to replacement due to regular wear and tear.

My hiking boots. The soles blew out after 13 years and about ~1,100 miles. I was crushed when I discovered the holes. "But I just got these" was my thought. Then I realized that I purchased them in 2001.

onehair

• Bristles
Re: Curious - What are the last 3 things you used until they completely wore out?
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2015, 08:47:04 AM »
3 pairs of my leggings worn til they developed holes.
3 or 4 sets of underwear so old when i was going to put them on they ripped at the waistline i think i'd had them since 1999 or something they were really old Victoria's Secret ones.
2 bras not of Costco or durable construction with the hooks in back dying and the underwire poking out to stab me...owww...

reader2580

• Stubble
Re: Curious - What are the last 3 things you used until they completely wore out?
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2015, 09:04:06 AM »
Socks, clothes, car tires, belts on power equipment.  I really don't like buying clothes.  When my office clothes wear out I use them for working around the house.  They go in the trash after that as they are usually split in the rear or something like that.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »
I threw away a pair of socks with holes in them, a bra with a broken underwire, and I replaced a pair of sheepskin slippers due to the pelt being worn down to the hide.  The slippers were from Costco and didn't last as long as I would have liked (3yrs) but they did get heavy wear over that time. 

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2016, 09:33:53 AM »
I had a pair of Vans sandals for 18 years that my wife threw away and bought me a new pair for my birthday. The sole was completely gone and fairly impractical. Also, pretty much all other clothes and shoes as well. I have a sleeveless t shirt from 1995 that has the date on it from my little league team. The coolest part is that even though I was 10, my parents bough clothes for me that were way too big so I would grow into them and it still fits!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
Running shoes
jeans
crockpot

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2016, 10:03:46 AM »
Shirt - RIP (pun intended)
1992 Buick Roadmaster wagon
Not there yet but close: Canon 5D Mark II DSLR

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
Toaster - hand-me-down toaster oven that I received from my parents about 6 years ago, they had it for at least 6 years before then. The glass door slider that covers 1/2 of the unit broke off.

Tacoma Battery - used it till it died after 7 years, then used my emergency jump-starter to source another battery. Buying batteries before the old one is dead is a waste.

Sneakers - Had a pair of new balance sneakers that were 11 or 12 years old, my toe started poking through the sole.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »
1. Cherokee scrub pants. Wore them 3-4 times per week for 14 hours at a time for 3 years. Was sitting on the toilet at work and realized they were so threadbare I could see the floor through my pants.

2. New Balance sneakers. Only got a year out of these, developed holes where my pinkie and big toes were. Still wore them for several months that way--not buying super lightweight shoes again. My new ones are a different brand too. 

3. Eddie Bauer backpack. This one doesn't even count, because my brother is still using it daily for class. It was my husband's middle school backpack--was used for his high school, four years of college, and four years of office work. It then passed to me, I used it all of nursing school. One of the straps was only hanging on by a few threads when I graduated two years ago. My brother came to visit and his suitcase broke, so I gave it to him thinking it would only last him the trip home, and he's still using it without fixing the strap! Those threads are miraculous.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2016, 08:23:54 PM »
1. The phillips bit in my impact driver; the edges had rounded and worn bad enough that it would not longer engage.

2. A pair of sneakers I had had for 10 years; they had seen 3 continents and been demoted to yard care duty and finally delaminated (beyond what shoe goo could fix).

3. A cheap memory foam mattress; bought at a wholesale club support is gone in about 7 years.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2016, 08:56:15 PM »
Do relationships count?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »
Guitar strings
Underwear
Shifter cables/housing on my winter bike
I thought by your other post that you really meant to say...'underwear strings'

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2016, 08:09:06 AM »
I can contribute to this thread all over again!

1. Flannel pajama pants... although they'll probably be turned into rags now
2. Husband's tanktop- he wore it until it wore out for public use, then I wore it for pajamas until it wore out for home use
3. "Dog towel"- that is our generic name for mud room towels. I don't even know where this one came from (inherited from my parents probably), but it finally essentially disintegrated in the wash.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »
Xbox 360 - overheated and died, don't play enough anymore to invest money in a fix
PS3 - overheated and died, don't play enough anymore to invest money in a fix
running shoes - I use them until the holes are big enough for my toes to fit through.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2016, 09:14:40 AM »
Xbox 360 - overheated and died, don't play enough anymore to invest money in a fix
PS3 - overheated and died, don't play enough anymore to invest money in a fix
running shoes - I use them until the holes are big enough for my toes to fit through.

I feel like this says a lot about your priorities- and you're probably far healthier and happier for it! (Signed, former WoW addict, now "gym rat").

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2016, 09:24:47 AM »
Um, how about like everything I've ever owned? Clothes are the worst/best. One standup comedian (can't remember who) said that men in particular like to wear underwear until they can stand at the window and just let it blow away in the breeze.

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
Bathing suit--only 2 years old but got weekly use at the gym.

Coffee maker--got it used at the auction for a few dollars and got maybe 5 years of use. It just...died. I tolerate its replacement.

Digital bathroom scales--ditto the auction above.

Most pride in my Masterlock combination lock that I was required to purchase for gym class in 7th grade. Has a key hole in the back so teachers could use a master key to unlock it. That was in 1965. I still use it at the gym, but it has also done duty as the protector of the canoe and trailer.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
Ninja blender (replaced with cheep magic bullet)
Shoes
Socks.

FrugalLakes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2016, 12:18:39 PM »
1- Hiking Shoes
2- Duffle Bag
3- Leather Belt

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
1- Hiking Shoes
2- Duffle Bag
3- Leather Belt

+1 for the belt. I just threw one away I've had since 1998. It was 3 layers of leather stitched together. The stitching started letting go several years ago but it finally got to the point wher I couldn't get the belt holes lined up anymore. My wife hated that belt too. It was pretty shabby looking :D

alewpanda

• Bristles
1. Our stoneware pan just cracked randomly while in the oven the other day....1 year outside of the 3 year guarentee....grrr.  Have not replaced...making do with the cookie sheet, deep pizza pan and roasting pan for various dishes.
2. Jeans that I had gotten used when I was in high school.  Literally wore them until this year (I'll 27).  The last year or so they were paint/dog walking pants...and finally the crotch was unpatchable and ripped, pretty much one of the legs was just hanging there...lol.
3. I shoe gooed a pair of strappy leather sandals 2 or 3 times before the straps busted mid-strap instead of at the base (where I could glue them back into the holes on the sole).  I replaced with some ebayed Tevas...and I won't be going back :D

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
1) Android tablet - Kept using it until it wouldn't stay running long enough to type a simple e-mail.  It had developed a problem of spontaneously rebooting periodically (just like the iPad that it had replaced).

2) Motorcycle brake pads - ran those rears down until I think there was about 1 molecule of depth left (uniform though, so no rotor to backing plate action happened).  Ooops, not intentional, glad I checked them when I did!  Can't say I didn't get the full value of them though!

3) Car radiator.  Been leaking (just a dribble in the Summer, more in the Winter) for a few years, but I just kept topping it off every couple of weeks.  It finally sprung the big leak last month and had to be replaced.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
Just gave up a copper bottomed frying pan - handle held together with wire for the last 18 years.  Really we could have chucked it a few years ago when a neighbour gave us about 5 different sizes of cast iron pans, but it still had occasional uses...

Shoes.

Jeans - they tend to be rags by the time I give up on them.