Author Topic: Credit Union Stealing MMM's Thunder?  (Read 8304 times)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
Credit Union Stealing MMM's Thunder?
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »
This can't be a coincidence, can it?  I'm sure the popularity of the site hasn't gone unnoticed by the banks.
I'm also fairly sure MMM isn't the first person in history to equate money hoard with the word 'stash' and then against the word 'mustache', but this ad made my skin crawl in discomfort considering the similarities with what I see here.

https://www.northerncu.com/Wealth/TermDeposits/

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
Re: Credit Union Stealing MMM's Thunder?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »
Oh the LOLs at a 2% CD being considered a way to build your stash.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »
Mr. Money Bags, from Monopoly.

Still suspect, very suspect...

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
It may very well be a coincidence. Facial hair is "in" nowadays.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »
Don't see many women with bow ties these days.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »
Mustaches are everywhere these days.  Baby bottles, car grills, t-shirts, I don't really get it.  But I don't know that we can necessarily accuse this credit union of stealing MMM's identity.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »
...But to also say that a saavy financial media and advertising team has never visited this site would be naive.  Those guys are always looking for hip trends--and in their financial world of trying to spin to the 'little guy', they would have tripped across MMM dozens of times.  Guess we'll know if they start using the words "badass" and "fancy".
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:11:16 PM by Kaspian »

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 03:16:15 PM »
...But to also say that a saavy financial media and advertising team has never visited this site would be naive. 

Not really. I work for a large financial institution and no one here follows individual PF blogs like MMM. I know he is the world to us, but most people have never heard of it.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:43:18 PM »
...But to also say that a saavy financial media and advertising team has never visited this site would be naive. 

Not really. I work for a large financial institution and no one here follows individual PF blogs like MMM. I know he is the world to us, but most people have never heard of it.

Do you work in the marketing department?  Because I think that's what Kaspian was alluding to.  The marketing for these institutions most definitely knows about popular/rising PF blogs.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure people other than Our Prophet have occasionally made the connection between the words "stash" and "mustache."

TheThirstyStag

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »
Yeah.. I'm pretty sure they have never heard of MMM.  Common phrase.

Now if their employees start telling people they'll "face punch" them…….

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 10:10:07 AM »
Now if their employees start telling people they'll "face punch" them…….

Well a face punch isn't exactly unique either.  I hate to say it, but it was even referenced in the Twilight book/movie series, which is a piece of ... media ... that's even more popular than MMM.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 02:42:53 PM »

Well, that would be weird.  I'm sure MMM has shown up often on trending charts and Buzzfeed, Tumblr, and Twitter.  If the online media department hadn't heard of this site, I'd fire the lot of them.  I work in IT and we've always known about obscure sites in our field like Afrotech Mods.  MMM comes up on the first page for anyone who Googles "early retirement sites."

DarinC

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »

Do you work in the marketing department?  Because I think that's what Kaspian was alluding to.  The marketing for these institutions most definitely knows about popular/rising PF blogs.
Even if they don't know about this site, the Stash/'Stache meme can go beyond that, which might have been what they picked up.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
I don't think MMM invented or patented any information on this site.  LOTS of people have bought into the idea of frugality for . . . well, forever.