Author Topic: Credit Score dive 100 points - Canceled credit card!!  (Read 1278 times)

Thriftybugger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Credit Score dive 100 points - Canceled credit card!!
« on: May 07, 2019, 12:58:33 PM »
So when we refinanced our mortgage we got a Wells Fargo credit card. Of course, being of the hairy-lipped proclivity we didn't use it. So after a couple of years it seems WF has now canceled the card. Got one of those silly emails from credit Karma the other day telling me my credit score had dropped and sure enough it has by 100 bloody points and the only item I see is the canceled credit card. From 840 to bloody 750!

Should I try to get the card reinstated? Should I give a rats bottom ??

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Credit Score dive 100 points - Canceled credit card!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »
You still have a high enough score to get just about any credit needs you might have.  Anything over 760 is useless.  It sounds like you don't need credit though, so I'd completely dismiss it.  At this point, its only use will probably be to keep your insurance premiums at the best rates, and your score is more than enough to satisfy that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:03:18 PM by HBFIRE »

SavinMaven

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 07:29:24 AM »
Unless you need your credit score in the next six months or so (refinancing a mortgage, etc) I would just leave it be. As a few months go by this will be a less and less significant hit to your score. By six months from now it will be rebounding and a year from now you won't remember this.

AlotToLearn

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »
Let it go and stay away from that awful bank. Your score will rebound, and there are plenty of better cards around if you actually need one.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »
Do you have other credit cards? If so, do you have large percentage balances?

Personally I use credit cards whenever I can - I like getting the free cash back.