Author Topic: Credit card recommendation...?  (Read 3765 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Credit card recommendation...?
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:59:09 AM »
I'm 'down' to my last 30,000 points on my Chase Sapphire Reserve card...

I currently have 3 credit cards:
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Capital One QuickSilver
United MileagePlus Explorer (Chase)

Only one I use is the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

I'm looking for a recommendation for another card as I'd like to fund a flight to Europe in October of this year.  Preferably a card that would allow me to transfer points over to my United account as I have 20,000 points with them already I need to use so I could combine another 40,000 points from a credit card for a roundtrip flight using United to Europe.  I'm totally open though. 

In addition, I'm also open to a hotel chain branded card (Hilton, etc.)...which I've never had before.  May be helpful to cover most of my accommodations in Europe.  Otherwise, I'll just AirBnB it.  I'm mostly just trying to ensure the flight is paid for. 

Recommendations?

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Credit card recommendation...?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 04:57:07 AM »
Chase Sapphire Preferred for 50,000 more UR points seems like the easiest solution. Finish your spending, transfer 40,000 to United and you could use your remaining 40,000 UR points towards ~$600 in hotels through the Chase Travel Portal.

Revelry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 06:06:49 AM »
Agreed with Romag.
Or, you may be eligible for another United MPE if you got the bonus more than two years ago.  Would have to close your existing account first though.

Hotels will depend on what country you're in.  I've read Club Carlsons are pretty nice in Europe, but also that there are very few of the chains in Scandinavia.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 02:49:40 PM »
Agreed with Romag.
Or, you may be eligible for another United MPE if you got the bonus more than two years ago.  Would have to close your existing account first though.

Hotels will depend on what country you're in.  I've read Club Carlsons are pretty nice in Europe, but also that there are very few of the chains in Scandinavia.

Right now I'm focusing on Portugal.  But I would also consider Greece and parts of Spain and France.  Trying to pick a place with beautiful serene beaches and great food.

I will check on my United MPE date...I'm pretty sure that was opened less than 2 years ago though.

Another question I meant to ask:  Could I do the same thing with the Chase Sapphire Reserve...?  Close and re-open it for another 100,000 points?? I remember someone mentioning this in the long CSR thread....

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »
Chase Sapphire Preferred for 50,000 more UR points seems like the easiest solution. Finish your spending, transfer 40,000 to United and you could use your remaining 40,000 UR points towards ~$600 in hotels through the Chase Travel Portal.

Thanks!  Any idea what the spend requirement is for the 40K points?  Also, I wonder if I could get them to bump the bonus up to 50k?  50k seems to be a pretty standard sign-up bonus these days, no?

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »
The CS Preferred bonus is 50K, I was counting the points you already had in the math. (30K+50K - 40K transfer to United leaves you 40K). Spend in $4k in 3 months, AF $95 waived in the first year. The 100K bonus for CS Reserve is gone. It is also 50K now. In my opinion it is worth keeping the CSR for the $300 travel credit and other benefits despite the high AF.