Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229562 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Thank you, @Tass. Sometimes when a page turns, it causes the discussion to drift in another direction or even die. Never have I been so happy at the timing of a new page.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
I had my first dose at a drive though, exterior clinic here in Oregon. There was a long line of cars and the whole process took about an hour including the 15min post-injection wait. The clinic was run smoothly with plenty of friendly staff, and I could sense a feeling of hope that the end might be in sight.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
Second dose produced much less severe symptoms than first dose. Mild nausea and fatigue for 36 hours. I Received the Pfizer vaccine.

Thank you for sharing. That’s encouraging to hear.

I think I mentioned this before, but DH got 2nd Pfizer shot a couple of weeks ago and didn't even get arm soreness like he did after the first shot, so no side effects whatsoever.

DizzyDaisies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Second dose produced much less severe symptoms than first dose. Mild nausea and fatigue for 36 hours. I Received the Pfizer vaccine.

Thank you for sharing. That’s encouraging to hear.

I think I mentioned this before, but DH got 2nd Pfizer shot a couple of weeks ago and didn't even get arm soreness like he did after the first shot, so no side effects whatsoever.

Thank you so much for sharing! So happy to see this.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
My wife got her first dose (Moderna) last week. I was surprised they didn't give out stickers or t-shirts or something. Whole process took about 30 minutes including the hang around and wait time.

-W

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
UHG - the third round of shots for our county - the damn website keeps crashing and slots are all filled within 40 minutes to an hour.
No luck yet getting an appointment.

Two good friends of ours are the only ones we know of who have or will get a shot. Both are high risk (she's over 65 and a retired teacher still substitute teaching) he has several severe medical issues and is in his seventies.
She got a call from the school for an appt and he got a text from his (techy) son that the site was back up and had some appts left - he got lucky.

Florida is vaccinating everyone over 65 plus health care workers and first responders.
So far
Statewide we vaccinated one million people out of 21.9 mil total population.
- 20.5 percent of the total population in Florida are 65 or older. - 

We have 250,000 people over 65 in our county and so far received 4000, ten thousand and just got another 8000 shots.
It may take a while at this rate unless we find a way to speed up the process.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
I’m sure this varies from state to state and place to place, but are they generally giving out some kind of proof of vaccination?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
There is a card!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
My boss just found out she's getting a vaccine today. They asked for volunteers and most of the people who put their names on the list first are getting vaccines. This is a federal agency so I don't think these doses are coming out of the state's allotment. I was a bit slow in filling in my information so maybe I'll be in the next week or two. I might still get one through the National Guard, but as I'm young and healthy, probably lower priority. Doubtful I'd get one through the state in the next couple of months. My ~70-year old in-laws are still waiting as NM is still focused on 75+ (actually one of the top states so far, around 10 doses per 100 people).

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
I’m sure this varies from state to state and place to place, but are they generally giving out some kind of proof of vaccination?

It goes into a vaccine database that you got it, I got the impression it’s a CDC database so nation wide.  I plan to bring my yellow card to shot 2 as I might travel internationally for work again in the next 5 years and I figure it might be required at some point for some places.  The vaccine info can go next to my yellow fever data.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
I would assume proof of vaccination will be required for a wide variety of activities in the future. If I owned a concert venue, airline, etc, you can be damn sure I'd require anyone using my facilities to have been vaccinated.

It won't be a gov't mandate issue, it'll just be almost all larger private enterprises requiring it.

-W

American GenX

• Pencil Stache

Got Moderna dose #2 9 hours ago!

No side effects at this point.  Didn't have an issue with the first dose 34 days ago, either.

Woohoo!  Glad to get this done.

SEAK

• Stubble
Yesterday I got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine at the local tribal clinic here in AK. Feel a bit sheepish being only 46yo and not working as a frontline worker or having any underlying medical conditions. But the State of AK received additional allotment of doses through the IHS to distribute to it's members compared to other states. No side effects so far other than a sore arm. Can't wait for my wife to get her second dose next weekend!

erutio

• Pencil Stache
This is non-sensical, and written to incite emotional responses in lay people who get worked up by medical jargon.  None of this has any validity to it.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Lew Rockwell is not a reliable source of information. He's been peddling this kind of crap incessantly for years. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/lew-rockwell/

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
Reported to mods.

-W

erutio

• Pencil Stache
But the 3rd reaction occurs when you come across whatever the messenger RNA is against (virus, bacterium, etc.), and now you have stimulated your immune system to have a low-grade autoimmune disease response, not immunity to yourself per se because the mRNA is expressing a viral protein.

This is what everyone is hoping will happen actually.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
To the best of my knowledge, the vaccines for covid are only even suspected to have caused one death so far (Dr. Gregory Michael) that's still under investigation - no hard evidence that the vaccine was to blame.  They've been given out to an awful lot of people.  Evidence is looking good that they're very, very safe.

We still don't have as much long term data as I'd like (we have a little long term data from other mRNA vaccines though which is encouraging regarding safety), but at this point the choice between getting the vaccine or risking getting covid is pretty clear cut.  You should get the vaccine.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
To the best of my knowledge, the vaccines for covid are only even suspected to have caused one death so far (Dr. Gregory Michael) that's still under investigation - no hard evidence that the vaccine was to blame.  They've been given out to an awful lot of people.  Evidence is looking good that they're very, very safe.

This one is also under investigation here locally.  Statistically, people who take the vaccine will die simply because of numbers.  But all deaths should be investigated.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/26/health-care-worker-dies-after-second-dose-of-covid-vaccine-investigations-underway/

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache

The credentials of the author who wrote the debunking article are "journalist"........sorry that's all I could find.
I think I'll stick with the professor.

Logical Fallacy appeal to authority.   Why will you stick with this authority and not the countless others?  Because she confirms your own bias?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:05:50 PM by HBFIRE »

erutio

• Pencil Stache
But the 3rd reaction occurs when you come across whatever the messenger RNA is against (virus, bacterium, etc.), and now you have stimulated your immune system to have a low-grade autoimmune disease response, not immunity to yourself per se because the mRNA is expressing a viral protein.

Professor Cahill goes on to say,
"Now (months later) when you come across the virus that stimulates the immune system to get rid of the virus and when it (the immune system) sees that you have viral proteins in your own cells and organs, then about a week later (the adaptive immune system kicks in, the mechanism that makes specific long-term memory antibodies against a pathogen) and you go into organ failure.  Because your immune system is killing your own organs.  Those patients will present as sepsis initially.  Then (later) you die of organ failure."

You've expressed that you will not be getting the vaccine, and that is your choice. 
But what is your goal here? Why are you posting this?  These quotes you have posted are misinformation. 
So are you trying to convince others to not get the vaccine?  Or do you want someone to break down what these quotes mean/why they are wrong, and are open to education about this topic?

My credentials are equivalent, if not more prestigious, to Cahill's.  (I hated to even have to write that, as that it not how academics talk these days.)   If you want, I could take the time to debunk her statements and explain the immunology behind everything.  If you are not interested, that is fine as well.  And if it means anything, it appears University College Dublin has tried to disassociate itself from Prof Cahill.  I'm guessing due to her "Full Professor" status, they cannot fire her due to tenure.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ucd-school-of-medicine-disassociates-itself-from-professor-s-views-1.4283774

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
Another way of looking at it:
-There are millions of PhDs out there.
-Some of them have mental health problems, just like the general population.
-Some of them have an axe to grind, just like the general population.
-Some of them need money or prestige/academic success really badly and so will compromise their ethics. Just like the general population.
-All of them are aging and some are getting senile, just like the general population.

So for any stupid/crazy idea or theory, you can almost certainly find someone with a PhD who agrees. If the vaccine was dangerous, we'd have had people dying in droves by now (and they would have been dying like crazy during the trials, of course).

But I know this will fall on deaf ears, because logic can't beat emotion. So I'm not sure why I typed it at all. Hopefully a mod will delete everything.

-W

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
MacAttack, this thread isn't for you to post your non-sense.  Read the subject of the thread.

charis

• Magnum Stache
No one asked you to believe a journalist's opinion or that your professor has lost her mind.  But those findings are obviously debunked by actual experts and scientists.  I, for one, would be happy to see links to evidence/facts regarding the vaccine.

Maybe the lockdown did do more harm than good.  I have no idea. I think self imposed isolation would have crippled certain industries anyway. I think a lot of things could have been done differently to allow elementary schools to stay open safely.

But that's not the topic here. It's been debated ad nauseum in other threads.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
I just got the first one.  Work managed to get enough for everyone who wanted one.  Otherwise I suspect it would have been April before the state managed to get to my group.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
My parents got their first doses on Monday this week. My mother's reasons for why she was willing to get the vaxx are ridiculous and untrue, but I don't care right now.

I've had a couple friends who were able to get their first doses due to work or one signed up for the "we have extra doses and don't want to throw them out" list. I'm not in any category that can get it yet in my state.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache

Professor Cahill goes on to say,
"Now (months later) when you come across the virus that stimulates the immune system to get rid of the virus and when it (the immune system) sees that you have viral proteins in your own cells and organs, then about a week later (the adaptive immune system kicks in, the mechanism that makes specific long-term memory antibodies against a pathogen) and you go into organ failure.  Because your immune system is killing your own organs.  Those patients will present as sepsis initially.  Then (later) you die of organ failure."

You've expressed that you will not be getting the vaccine, and that is your choice. 
But what is your goal here? Why are you posting this?  These quotes you have posted are misinformation. 
So are you trying to convince others to not get the vaccine?  Or do you want someone to break down what these quotes mean/why they are wrong, and are open to education about this topic?

My credentials are equivalent, if not more prestigious, to Cahill's.  (I hated to even have to write that, as that it not how academics talk these days.)   If you want, I could take the time to debunk her statements and explain the immunology behind everything.  If you are not interested, that is fine as well.  And if it means anything, it appears University College Dublin has tried to disassociate itself from Prof Cahill.  I'm guessing due to her "Full Professor" status, they cannot fire her due to tenure.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ucd-school-of-medicine-disassociates-itself-from-professor-s-views-1.4283774
Can you debunk this statement, "The Moderna and Pfizer “alleged vaccine” trials have explicitly acknowledged that their gene therapy technology has no
impact on viral infection or transmission whatsoever and merely conveys to the recipient the capacity to produce an S1
spike protein endogenously by the introduction of a synthetic mRNA sequence."

I think you don’t know what those words mean.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:53:24 PM by Cranky »

erutio

• Pencil Stache
Can you debunk this statement, "The Moderna and Pfizer “alleged vaccine” trials have explicitly acknowledged that their gene therapy technology has no impact on viral infection or transmission whatsoever and merely conveys to the recipient the capacity to produce an S1

Short answer:  They are taking a statement that cannot be ever be proven by the standards of human experimentation today, i.e. "this vaccine will prevent viral infection and transmission", and then saying that Pfizer and Moderna trials cannot prove this unprovable statement.

Long answer coming later.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
Ok, I will reply when I get some time to write out the longer response.

Before that, I want to ask you to perform a thought experiment. 
If you had a treatment that you knew would prevent the transmission of a cold virus, and you had all the material resources you needed, how would you design an experiment to prove that this treatment prevented virus transmission?

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
I appreciate y'alls right to debate the vaccine.  Please start another thread.  This thread is about who is getting it and I really like reading about it.  I don't think I'm alone based on the number of on topic posts.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
I'm still here, waiting waiting waiting for my own vaccine, and waiting waiting waiting for the thread hijacker to go start their own anti-vaxx thread. Talk about inappropriate.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
I'm still here, waiting waiting waiting for my own vaccine, and waiting waiting waiting for the thread hijacker to go start their own anti-vaxx thread. Talk about inappropriate.

Me too. Can't wait to post my selfie.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Can you debunk this statement, "The Moderna and Pfizer “alleged vaccine” trials have explicitly acknowledged that their gene therapy technology has no impact on viral infection or transmission whatsoever and merely conveys to the recipient the capacity to produce an S1

Short answer:  They are taking a statement that cannot be ever be proven by the standards of human experimentation today, i.e. "this vaccine will prevent viral infection and transmission", and then saying that Pfizer and Moderna trials cannot prove this unprovable statement.

Long answer coming later.
Thanks......I look forward to the long answer as I really would like to learn as much as possible.

The CDC says a vaccine produces immunity. If you are immune, you can be exposed to an infectious disease without being infected.
How can these new mRNA products be labeled as vaccines if they are not proven at all to prevent infection?

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/bam/diseases/vaccine-basics.htm
Immunity: Protection from an infectious disease. If you are immune to a disease, you can be exposed to it without becoming infected.
Vaccine: A product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease.

Short non-technical answer - there *may* be a period when there is enough virus in your nose that you could sneeze it out, but then your immune system will recognize and destroy the virus. So you won’t get sick but it is possible that you might be able to transmit it.

AlexK

• Bristles
I got my first dose of Moderna on 1/4/21, getting the second dose on Monday, 2/1. Only sore arm for me. I am a volunteer for the Sheriff search and rescue team, they said I was eligible so I jumped at the chance.

To those debunking the fake news about the vaccine, or anything else for that matter. I hope you have a lot of spare time to do that because it takes 10x as much effort to debunk than it does to create the nonsense. Brandolini's law in action here.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
Is it just the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines available in the US? Is the AstraZeneca one going to be approved?

FWIW they've just approved the Pfizer one here but I suspect that most of us will get the AZ one as it's going to be produced locally. I'm well down the priority list for a vaccine so it'll probably be July-August before I get it.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
I got my first dose of Moderna on 1/4/21, getting the second dose on Monday, 2/1. Only sore arm for me. I am a volunteer for the Sheriff search and rescue team, they said I was eligible so I jumped at the chance.

To those debunking the fake news about the vaccine, or anything else for that matter. I hope you have a lot of spare time to do that because it takes 10x as much effort to debunk than it does to create the nonsense. Brandolini's law in action here.

I googled Brandolini's law, and I really like it. Thank you.

For everyone's education: Brandolini's law, also known as the bullshit asymmetry principle, is an internet adage which emphasizes the difficulty of debunking bullshit: "The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than to produce it."

jimmyshutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Received my second dose Moderna last Thur. My arm was a little sore the next morning but I still went to the gym and worked out in the morning and did yard work in the afternoon.

I was fine but many of my coworkers c/o fever, chills, body aches although these symptoms reportedly lasted less than a day.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Is it just the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines available in the US? Is the AstraZeneca one going to be approved?

So far just Pfizer and Moderna here. I'm not sure what the deal is with AZ - they had some irregularities with their trial data (one group showed efficacy of 90% and one group showed 62%, after some dosing errors). They have another big trial running in the US and I think we're waiting for the results of that, hopefully with cleaner data, before approving it.

They are having serious trouble keeping up with production right now anyway, so the US approving it and asking for millions more doses wouldn't accomplish much. Hopefully if they're producing it locally in Australia you won't have any production issues.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
I sure hope that all of you have received the two vaccine shots and then get COVID and die of sepsis will post an update afterward so that those of us still waiting for the vaccine will be fully informed. /s
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:40:12 PM by Taran Wanderer »

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
@MacAttack7 Please stop posting your garbage on this thread. It is not appropriate for the intent of this thread. Go elsewhere.

@arebelspy Can you please assist here?

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?
« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2021, 10:31:17 PM »

So far just Pfizer and Moderna here. I'm not sure what the deal is with AZ - they had some irregularities with their trial data (one group showed efficacy of 90% and one group showed 62%, after some dosing errors). They have another big trial running in the US and I think we're waiting for the results of that, hopefully with cleaner data, before approving it.

They are having serious trouble keeping up with production right now anyway, so the US approving it and asking for millions more doses wouldn't accomplish much. Hopefully if they're producing it locally in Australia you won't have any production issues.

There was also a vaccine in the works from Merck, but they figured out nature works better, and the immune response from your own body was superior.

https://geneonline.news/en/2021/01/25/merck-withdraws-from-covid-19-vaccine-race-due-to-sub-par-response/
January 25th, 2021 – Biopharma giant Merck who joined late in the COVID-19 vaccine race, has decided to pull the plug on two of its candidates, V590 and V591. The decision to scrap its vaccine candidates is a direct result of early trial data showing that they failed to generate immune responses comparable to a natural infection or existing vaccines (Moderna, Pfizer).
@MacAttack7

Please stop with your misinformation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:33:03 PM by the_fixer »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
I sure hope that all of you have received the two vaccine shots and then get COVID and die of sepsis will post an update afterward so that those of us still waiting for the vaccine will be fully informed.

So far both of my parents, six friends, my upstairs neighbor, my aunt and my cousin have been vaccinated (off the top of my head, I might be forgetting a couple). Plus another close friend of mine is being vaccinated tomorrow. I'll be sure to post here when they all spontaneously explode or whatever, since I don't think they have accounts here to do it themselves.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
I sure hope that all of you have received the two vaccine shots and then get COVID and die of sepsis will post an update afterward so that those of us still waiting for the vaccine will be fully informed. /s

I liked it better without the sarcasm tag!

We all know it's going to happen anyway.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
lol, thanks.  I just needed to be clear.  Sometimes it's hard to tell what's serious and what's not.

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Among people over 80, maybe about 2.5% will experience severe side effects, adverse events where people cannot work or live life normally.

Then with the 2nd vaccination it could be 1 in 10 or ten percent.  For the over 80-year-olds, I would think that 80% of them would have life-limiting reactions or die when they come across the messenger RNA again.
For others (not elderly) it could be half of the people who could be severely harmed.
If there was even the slightest bit of truth to this then it would be pretty obvious by now. For example 17% of the population of Israel is fully vaccinated* (received two vaccines) which would indicate that we would expect at least that 1.7% or over 100,000 Israelis would be crippled by now with "life-limiting reactions", in fact even more when you keep in mind that the elderly were prioritised for these vaccines. If there were this many people suffering those side-effects it would be impossible to cover up or hide.

The fact that no such thing has happened says all that needs to be said about these bullshit peddlers, regardless of all this rubbish about being a so called professor with a PHD. This is QAnnon level nonsense with its constant (failed) predictions of big, impossible-to-not-notice events (like say the inauguration not happening on the 20th due to all the mass arrests which were 'Guaranteed' to happen).

As many of the posters have previously said: Stop spreading misinformation, especially when it is so easy to debunk by statistical inference alone.

*Source for the claim https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations. See What share of the population has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19? on Jan 27.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
There you go with facts and math and referenced sources. You’re ruining all the fun!

former player

• Walrus Stache
I believe Fauci has broken numerous laws.
So have you reported him to the appropriate State and Federal authorities?

(Hint: if you haven't, don't bother.  You've fallen down an internet alternate facts hole.)

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
I’m one full week out from my second Moderna dose and other than growing a couple extra fingers, I’ve been totally fine.

Edit: the extra fingers part was a joke, in case some in this thread need to be told

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
I’m one full week out from my second Moderna dose and other than growing a couple extra fingers, I’ve been totally fine.

Edit: the extra fingers part was a joke, in case some in this thread need to be told

I'm sure the PhD holders in this thread are much too smart to fall for anything like that.