Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229271 times)

Saffron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where does a 25 BMI get you priority?  Making 30 BMI a priority category was controversial here in DC and the CDC makes >40 BMI a priority.

About 50% of the population is over 25 BMI, making its designation as a priority category useless.

I absolutely agree. I’m in Fairfax County. They also allow smokers to sign up now too as a “medical condition”. I would have *thought* that being essential onsite DoD should have been my reason for priority instead of a BS weight standard, but I guess not. I lift.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:23:02 AM by Saffron »

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
Nobody in our county is paying any attention to protecting others anymore which is making me very very anxious to get the vaccine sooner rather than wait.

Went to three stores today to purchase materials for our house we are building (ourselves) and all of the cashiers and at least half of the customers were maskless.

There is morality and then there is reality.   Morality is over.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Nobody in our county is paying any attention to protecting others anymore which is making me very very anxious to get the vaccine sooner rather than wait.

Went to three stores today to purchase materials for our house we are building (ourselves) and all of the cashiers and at least half of the customers were maskless.

There is morality and then there is reality.   Morality is over.

This is pretty much what I expected to see when people who are vaccinated become more common place.  It's annoying to try to protect others, so there's a percentage of the population who will say 'fuck it' as soon as they can.

ohio4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am scheduled for a mass vaccination site shot on Friday as an Ohio resident over 40 years of age. It took some serious effort to figure out how to get scheduled on day 1 of my eligibility, but my GF found a link specific to mass vaccination scheduling where they ask less questions and you just declare you are eligible. Every other entity (phone and web) denied me due to not being yet eligible until Friday. I am trying to figure out if I can walk to my vaccination or if I have to be in a car.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
I received a medical qualification (started on 3/15 in California) & got my first vaccine yesterday at a Rite Aid. My husband got up at 2 am to make me an appointment in the first round for medical. I received Pfizer. My arm hurt, I had some general muscle aches & a bit of a headache.

Spiffy

• Bristles
I got the J&J at my university on Tuesday Afternoon. By bedtime I was getting achy and had a headache. Over night I had chills, fever, sweats, etc. All day Wednesday I was achy and tired. Took a 3 hour nap. Now today I feel back to normal. I am so glad I was able to get it.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
I got the first Moderna shot yesterday, no side-effects other than a sore arm but that's probably due to the guy administering it shoving it in my arm a bit haphazardly lol. Happy to be vaccinated.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
I got a J&J from my healthcare network. I got a message to follow a link and get an appointment, with the appointments only being within the following 48 hours, so I think it was "you care close enough to the next group opening up and we have these spots available, want to come?" Although we have our brand name network through his employer, DH did not get the same invitation, and our roommate hasn't been vaccinated, so not much will change for me just yet, but it is still something of a relief.

redhead84

• Stubble
Managed to score a spot in my husband's employer's vaccine clinic tomorrow due to lack of interest by the employees. My husband and I will be getting the Pfizer vaccine. I guess it's a good thing that my husband's employer isn't doing a good job of convincing people to drive 2.5 hours each way without covering the time off to get vaccinated.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Received notice from my employer that employees at one of locations (in a hard hit area) will be eligible for a vaccine clinic next week. Meanwhile, a large part of my team has had at least first shots by being waitlisted at a local site - they always have extras at end of day. Good to see shots rolling out.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Public-facing building employees are finally eligible in NYC today (meaning doormen, security guards, etc.) so I stopped to see if the guy at the front desk knew about the pop up vaccine clinic on the next block. He said he'd just gotten his first dose, so he's all set :-)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
My county just opened up my huge group.  Let the appointment hunting games begin.  I'm retired and I'm persistent, haha. 

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
My county is over 50% vaccinated now!

-W

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
They started a new program in CA where you can theoretically get a shot at the end of your shift for volunteering at a vaccine site for a day.  Spots disappear almost instantly, but my friends were able to snag a few, and then helped my wife and I get signed up in about a month.  They aren't required to give you a vaccine dose, but the strong implication is that you would get one.  I would be a bit peeved if I drove 2.5 hours round trip and worked for 8 hours on my day off and didn't get a dose, certainly.

We're both in the next mini-tier of vaccine eligibility, but I'm happy to attack this problem from any angle I can.

So much for this plan; they closed the vaccine site.  Back to square one.  I am eligible through work right now, but only if I get the vaccine through military that I work with.  Unfortunately, since I'm not military myself, I can't receive any of the notifications when they have available vaccines or actually sign up for anything. 

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
Mrs. Miller is getting her second shot today, and I'm getting my first on Monday. It's Gen X's turn!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
I got an appointment to get the Pfizer vaccine next week.  Very excited!

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
We got an email from HR today telling those of us that work in the home office's county to go out to the state's registration website to get on some list even if we don't meet the current eligibility.  This list is currently only used by select counties(not mine currently) but our county is going to use it for the next big clinic.  It sounds like they are starting to create a backup list in case not enough eligible people show up (highly likely given my area's beliefs).  We'll see if/when I get an appointment....fingers crossed.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
I just got my first shot yesterday. I asked in person at my local CVS to be put on the surplus no-waste list. Weirdest thing is the person giving the vaccines drove from 3 hours away for 6 appointments that day, so they ended up with 4 extra doses in the vial. I was absolutely flabbergasted. 1) why couldn’t the pharmacist at the store take care of 6 (or 10) shots? and 2) are there really so few people getting vaccinated in my county? One county over, by a big university, people are clambering for an appointment.

I asked at our local Walgreens about this, and they are also doing an informal no-waste process ^ -- at 5:00 each day if they have extra, they give it to anyone in the store who wants it.  There's nothing online about this, and no call list. 

Our local grocery store pharmacy showed no availability online, but for the hell of it I just asked in person while I was shopping and they said "sure we'll get you on the list." (!)  I got a call an hour later with an appointment. 

There's obviously a disconnect between the online appointment scheduling and what is happening on the ground at the vaccination sites.  Totally understandable with a rollout of this magnitude.  If I hadn't gotten that grocery store appointment, I would be showing up at the Walgreens at 5:00 to see if they had an extra dose that day.  I know not everyone can do that though. 

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
Me.  Got my first dose today.  I thought it was time  because I'll be starting a job soon where I have to live in a dorm, and congregate living is eligible right now.  Got Pfizer at CVS - it's been pretty easy to find appointments at CVS here - there have been openings available all week when I check while eating breakfast, no special effort necessary.  Seems to indicate that the high demand for the current eligibility group has passed.  Maybe?

Things will start to get busier on Monday when my state opens eligibility to the 1c group.  My BF is part of that group, and was already able to make an appointment with the county health department for a spot next week.

scottnews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Starting last Friday, everyone that can not work from home is getting a shot though our employer.  I wasn't able to get signed up then but had one today.  Pfizer

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
I am hopeful that the state will be able to move into phase 2 very soon.

Phase 2 starting Monday

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
For my state, phase 2 is defined as commercial agriculture, commercial food production, corrections staff and public transit, plus transportation such as postal and package delivery, freight railroad, maritime cargo and commercial or cargo service apartments, as well as those employed in public infrastructure, telecommunications and utilities.

Our age category has moved to 55+.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
For my state, phase 2 is defined as commercial agriculture, commercial food production, corrections staff and public transit, plus transportation such as postal and package delivery, freight railroad, maritime cargo and commercial or cargo service apartments, as well as those employed in public infrastructure, telecommunications and utilities.

Our age category has moved to 55+.

My state has named the tiers very stupidly in order to make everyone feel like they're a priority.  I'm somewhere in phase 1c, which sure sounds like it's early, but in reality is about the 14th tier of eligibility, and something like 60% of the adult population is ahead of me.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Yeah in our state grocery workers are phase 3. I’m interested in the logic of the choices. I always knew I would be first go (front line) but though grocery would be higher on the list.

terran

• Magnum Stache
My state has named the tiers very stupidly in order to make everyone feel like they're a priority.

That's actually the CDC's doing: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm695152e2.htm. Any state not doing 1a, 1b, 1c and finally 2: everybody else is the one going rogue.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
I think multiple studies have shown that people with type A blood are easier to get it and worse outcomes... super curious why the CDC hasn't put them in the list of pre-existing conditions that are eligible at earlier stages. 

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
DH and I are both eligible as of 3/17 in NC.  We're signed up with Duke Health and the local county public health site, but no idea how long it will take to get an appointment.  I'm on a short term project in SC and pretty much everyone in the health system has been vaccinated.  While in the hospitals everyone is masked, in the IT center where I work, no one wears a mask.  It's made me super paranoid. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Wife and daughter have both their doses.

Got my first one 3 days ago and the 2nd one is scheduled for the 7th.   NC is about to open it up for everyone.

They were running gobs of people thru our convention center with a drive-thru setup.   The health workers said lots of people are coming from other counties.   These are counties with a more liberal population on average than ours.   My guess is that the Trumpers aren't yet taking this seriously enough so they aren't rushing to get their vaccine and that leaves appointments open hereabouts.   See gif below.   I still see lots of them around not wearing masks at all or not wearing them over their noses.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
DH and I are both eligible as of 3/17 in NC.  We're signed up with Duke Health and the local county public health site, but no idea how long it will take to get an appointment.  I'm on a short term project in SC and pretty much everyone in the health system has been vaccinated.  While in the hospitals everyone is masked, in the IT center where I work, no one wears a mask.  It's made me super paranoid.
Check Cumberland County in NC.   Apparently there are plenty of slots because lots of folks from elsewhere are coming here for their shots.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache

Got my first one 3 days ago and the 2nd one is scheduled for the 7th.   NC is about to open it up for everyone.

They were running gobs of people thru our convention center with a drive-thru setup.   The health workers said lots of people are coming from other counties.   These are counties with a more liberal population on average than ours.   My guess is that the Trumpers aren't yet taking this seriously enough so they aren't rushing to get their vaccine and that leaves appointments open hereabouts.   See gif below.   I still see lots of them around not wearing masks at all or not wearing them over their noses.

I'm in Wake County, but did not think about going to another area.  Thanks! 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache

I'm in Wake County, but did not think about going to another area.  Thanks!

If people in my county are too pigheaded to get the vaccine available for them, there's no reason others shouldn't get it.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
My 78yo mom in Illinois got her first Moderna shot today.  Strangely they didn't schedule the 2nd appointment right away.  She's just supposed to come back in 28 days.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
DH got the Moderna vax on Thursday. Said he was fine except for a very sore arm. This afternon I was working in the kitchen and assumed he was outside. I went into the bedroom to grab another load of laundry and found him asleep on the bed, wearing his c-pap. He's not a napper, so I think he's exhausted, due to the vaccine.

Kid got his shot at the same place as DH, but surprisingly, got the Pfizer vaccine when he went this morning.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
DH got the Moderna vax on Thursday. Said he was fine except for a very sore arm. This afternon I was working in the kitchen and assumed he was outside. I went into the bedroom to grab another load of laundry and found him asleep on the bed, wearing his c-pap. He's not a napper, so I think he's exhausted, due to the vaccine.

Kid got his shot at the same place as DH, but surprisingly, got the Pfizer vaccine when he went this morning.
Yep, my wife took a lot of naps for several days after her second shot.

kanga1622

• Bristles
Got my first Moderna shot on Friday. Got a nasty taste in my mouth right away (same thing happens when they flush an IV line for me) but a little juice took care of that. Within a few hours it felt like someone punched me in the arm. Took a nap yesterday and just wanted to relax but otherwise felt pretty good. Today I have to play catch up for all the things I didn’t get done yesterday.

They had my next appointment scheduled before I even showed up for the first vaccine. Hoping for a similar reaction to the next one.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
My wife and I both got our first Pfizer shots about a week ago. I must be very slightly allergic to one of the additives they put in vaccines. Immediately afterward I felt a little pressure in my throat (essentially a tiny anaphylactic reaction) but not enough to be concerned about anything. I had a similar problem with a Tdap booster several years ago, though that one was more alarming.

We both got sore arms afterward and I got chills and body aches afterward. The chills lasted about 4 hours overnight and the body aches were about 24 hours of just feeling like crap in general. By the second day after I was 100% back to normal.

It feels like we're seeing real progress with vaccine distribution. My grandfather had gotten his first shot before he died of unrelated causes. My wife's mother, both sisters, and almost all of her grandparents have been. My sister has her first shot scheduled and we're trying to get one for my mom (it's been more difficult with her work schedule). The couple we lived with until the Fall of last year have also received their first shots.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 10:32:51 AM by Mr. Green »

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
Got my first Moderna at a rural Walmart in Oklahoma on Wednesday. Very easy. I had a slightly sore arm, like a bruise, but that was it. My wife is getting her first Wednesday.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Just got my second Moderna shot through the National Guard. It's been a few hours and I'm starting to get a headache. Might be from not drinking enough water or screaming kids running around the house and enjoying spring break, but probably from the shot.

I also found out that any of my family members over 18 who are covered by Tricare (military health insurance) are eligible to get a vaccine. So I made an appointment for my wife for Tuesday.

ohio4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

We both got sore arms afterward and I got chills and body aches afterward. The chills lasted about 4 hours overnight and the body aches were about 24 hours of just feeling like crap in general. By the second day after I was 100% back to normal.

I had an extremely sore arm from Pfizer shot 1 after about 12 hours. I could barely move it when I woke up the next morning. I also had body aches overnight and when I first started moving around the house. I felt fine by 24 hours out besides a slightly sore arm.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
Got my first Pfizer shot on Saturday!  Sore arm but no other side effects.  Second one scheduled for the 21st- made it on a Saturday so I could stay in bed if I feel crappy the next day.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Just got my second Moderna shot through the National Guard. It's been a few hours and I'm starting to get a headache. Might be from not drinking enough water or screaming kids running around the house and enjoying spring break, but probably from the shot.

I also found out that any of my family members over 18 who are covered by Tricare (military health insurance) are eligible to get a vaccine. So I made an appointment for my wife for Tuesday.

Bad headache started a few hours after the second shot. Also feel kind of light-headed. Spent all last night tossing and turning. First I was too hot, then too cold. I eventually threw on a pair of pajama pants and a robe over myself. My left arm where I got the shot was very sore and it hurt to lie on that side. I've had some other general body aches as well, mostly around my neck and shoulders. I took the day off from work and I'm hoping to just lie in bed most of the day and read or take a nap.

Hopefully it's passed by tomorrow. Everyone I know who's had a reaction to the second Moderna shot said they woke up 1-2 days later and felt perfectly fine.

ditheca

• Bristles
Utah is opening vaccine access to everyone this Wednesday.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Utah is opening vaccine access to everyone this Wednesday.

Wow, very jealous.  Although I wonder if it's because they are getting fewer and fewer takers?  I noticed that they are on the low end for vaccination rates and if they are opening it up, I'm assuming it's not a supply issue that's kept them on the low side...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
My wife who is not old or an essential worker, she's in pretty much the last group, just got contacted and scheduled her appointment for a pfizer vaccine this Thursday. 

Amazing that two weeks ago I couldn't get my >65 parents with health issues a vaccine, and now pretty much everyone is getting it.   Since I posted on March 10 about not being to get my parents a vaccine, they have both been scheduled, FIL got it, MIL got it, coworkers have gotten it, friends have gotten it, and now my wife is scheduled to get it.  I have a few more family members hunting around that have been unable to schedule themselves, but I suspect that it going to change over the next couple weeks as they keep cranking out these vaccines. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
My husband got his first Pfizer dose about an hour ago.  First day of eligibility for under 65 with prexisting conditions.  I'm honestly shocked that we were able to get him in because they only had 1200 doses available to give out over the next two weeks.  There are still tons of appointments left next week so maybe people who actually want it and aren't eligible yet can get on a waitlist for doses that would otherwise go bad.

afox

• Pencil Stache
Its not getting reported enough and people dont like to talk about it but the fact is that in most "rural" areas most people dont want the vaccine. Much of the vaccine being administered in rural areas are going to urbanites travelling to rural areas because rural areas have availability because locals dont want it. The pharmacies/vaccination sites are paid per dose to administer the vaccine, as long as noone is breaking the rules they dont care where the arm is from. The policy response has been to send more vaccine to rural areas and have more vaccination sites in rural areas which just exacerbates the availability problem. No matter your age priority level the fact is that right now anyone can have a vaccine if you're willing to drive till you find availability. Even if you dont meet the priority criteria in the rural area, most of these areas have more vaccine than willing recipients and are unlikely to turn willing recipients away.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:11:37 PM by afox »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
@afox, this is a good point and probably what's going on in my area.  At this point, I'm over all the people who STILL believe that this is a hoax or just the flu or whatever the ridiculous conspiracy du jour is.  I no longer give AF whether those people get it or don't or recover or not.  I just want everyone who wants it to be able to get it. 

afox

• Pencil Stache
@afox, this is a good point and probably what's going on in my area.  At this point, I'm over all the people who STILL believe that this is a hoax or just the flu or whatever the ridiculous conspiracy du jour is.  I no longer give AF whether those people get it or don't or recover or not.  I just want everyone who wants it to be able to get it.

I wish ill will to noone, not even the vaccine hesitant. The irony is that the more people that get vaccinated the safer vaccine hesitant people/those who refuse a vaccine are. So in terms of behavior as many people should get vaccinated as possible no matter where they live, what politics they adhere to, etc. Public health experts know this and this is why they are making it *easier for those likely to be vaccine hesitant (rural areas especially) to get a vaccine but at the same time not requiring residency to get the vaccine. Bottom line is we should all do whatever we can to get the vaccine as soon as possible including travelling to rural areas which have greater availability/looser restrictions.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Florida opened to anyone 50-plus on Friday. Made an appointment this morning for Wednesday shot.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Although I wonder if it's because they are getting fewer and fewer takers? 

The number of takers and ignoramuses who would refuse to take it are largely unchanged.  It's got nothing to do with bad effects of the vaccines -- quite the contrary.   Some of the naysayers are starting to think maybe it's safe since others are getting it and there really haven't been many, if any, major side effects.   Just minor annoyances.   Those who would take it are taking it.

Eventually we'll work thru those who want it and be left with 20-30% of the population who don't want it.   Pretty much the percentage of people whom a presidential candidate referred to as deplorable -- and the Venn diagram of both groups almost looks like one circle instead of two.

We'll be paying for the grotesque lies of Trump and his enablers for at least a generation to come, and possibly more.