Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229086 times)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
I live in CT and have been checking the VAMS website 10 times a day searching for vaccines. It is impossible to find. I keep hearing CT is doing better than most states. I can't understand that because in my county, there is nothing. every place on the list says 'none available'. It doesn't appear to be at our local Walgreens, Walmart, CVS or grocery pharmacies either.  I have called the senior center in town and an 800 number that they tell you to call. Nothing! There are at least 5 hospitals in our area that have none available either. They seem to be supplying the bigger cities and forgetting about us country bumpkins.

I don’t entirely understand your unwillingness to travel a reasonable distance within the state to get this vaccine.  There are plenty of places that have it in stock on vaccinefinder.org.  Unless you have some legitimate issue with transportation (which I expect would be rare among members of this forum) continuing to complain that it’s unavailable is a result of an unreasonable expectation that it essentially be available right on your doorstep.  My husband traveled an hour away to get his shot at a VA clinic.  If you want it, you CAN get it it Connecticut.  It sounds like you are unwilling to try.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
I live in CT and have been checking the VAMS website 10 times a day searching for vaccines. It is impossible to find. I keep hearing CT is doing better than most states. I can't understand that because in my county, there is nothing. every place on the list says 'none available'. It doesn't appear to be at our local Walgreens, Walmart, CVS or grocery pharmacies either.  I have called the senior center in town and an 800 number that they tell you to call. Nothing! There are at least 5 hospitals in our area that have none available either. They seem to be supplying the bigger cities and forgetting about us country bumpkins.

I don’t entirely understand your unwillingness to travel a reasonable distance within the state to get this vaccine.  There are plenty of places that have it in stock on vaccinefinder.org.  Unless you have some legitimate issue with transportation (which I expect would be rare among members of this forum) continuing to complain that it’s unavailable is a result of an unreasonable expectation that it essentially be available right on your doorstep.  My husband traveled an hour away to get his shot at a VA clinic.  If you want it, you CAN get it it Connecticut.  It sounds like you are unwilling to try.

I just did a quick spot check on a zip code in Connecticut on vaccinefinder.org... it shows 10+ CVSes and 10+ Walgreens nearby with vaccine in stock, but when you go to the CVS and Walgreens websites they show that there is nothing available. CVS says every pharmacy in the state is fully booked with no appointments anywhere. So... I think that site is just incorrect.

@Roadrunner53 - if you are on Facebook I would do a search to see if there is a COVID vaccine group for Connecticut. The one I joined for NYC has been incredibly helpful. People post when batches of appointments are released at CVS and Walgreens and various hospitals and do detective work to figure out what time of day is best to look, stuff like that. There are also a lot of volunteer groups that help elderly people get appointments (forgive me for using the 'e' word but you mentioned the senior center so maybe you qualify...). In NYC those groups have been miracle workers, they just take your name, date of birth and contact info and the next day they call back and tell you that you have an appointment.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
jrhampt, So much negativity! You really shouldn't be so judgemental. I do not choose to travel an hour or more. I am almost 70 years old and I have glaucoma and cataracts. I can see well but do not like travelling half way across the state for a vaccine that will eventually come to my area. A lot of people my age are not comfortable driving long distances. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

Thank you Dollar Slice for your helpful advice. I did recheck CVS and Walgreens and also, no appointments were available. I will also look into that facebook idea too.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
There is a Facebook group called New York/Connecticut vaccine hunters and angels that is very helpful getting people appointments- that is the one I would start with.  I get that some people can’t actually travel, but I would happily travel an hour or more to get this vaccine. 

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
jrhampt, So much negativity! You really shouldn't be so judgemental. I do not choose to travel an hour or more. I am almost 70 years old and I have glaucoma and cataracts. I can see well but do not like travelling half way across the state for a vaccine that will eventually come to my area. A lot of people my age are not comfortable driving long distances. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

Thank you Dollar Slice for your helpful advice. I did recheck CVS and Walgreens and also, no appointments were available. I will also look into that facebook idea too.

I don't think jrhampt's post was negative or judgemental at all.  They said, "Unless you have some legitimate issue with transportation...", which apparently you do.  You said, "It is impossible to find.", which is factually incorrect as nearly 25% of people in Connecticut have received their first shot.  If you had just said that you have medical conditions that make travel difficult and that you're frustrated that distribution is primarily in major population centers you can't get to, that would be entirely reasonable.  But if you say that something is "impossible" when nearly a million people have done it in your state that simply isn't accurate.  jrhampt didn't say anything wrong based on the information you had provided in your initial post. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
The word "impossible" was obviously used as hyperbole, let's not be pedantic. I've been doing volunteer work trying to help people who are older and/or ill get vaccination appointments. It's genuinely not easy and there are a lot of inequities in the system. It can be very easy for some people if you happen to live or work in the right place or have the right connections. It can be extremely difficult for other people who don't. I did a lot of research to get decently good at it, and a lot of people helped me, and now I can usually get someone an appointment in an hour or two in two different states. I've probably spent 40 hours refreshing websites and another 40 on research and another who-knows-how-many trying to answer questions for randos online.

People who live less than a mile away from me have a vaccination rate of 40% in their neighborhood. My neighborhood is at 16%. We're in the same city, there's no difference in the vaccine clinics we can go to. But there's clearly an enormous difference in outreach or education or accessibility or something. I bet a lot of people in my neighborhood would say it is "impossible" to get a vaccine, too. People get discouraged and give up. Some people have been trying for 6 weeks and failing every day. It sucks, and it's stacked the highest against the people who need it the most: the elderly and disabled.

Instead of criticizing the people who find it difficult, I'd suggest finding a way to help out.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Speaking of inequities, I was surprised to see Roadrunner's reference to lacking supply in rural areas and too much in the cities.  My perception has been that more states have been the opposite.  Of course, it makes sense that it *could* be different in different states, it just seems like most have erred in the opposite direction, from a friend in ID that traveled to the hinterlands to get supply to (IIRC) a reference in this thread and this instance in MO: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/missouri/articles/2021-03-06/rural-vaccine-surpluses-in-missouri-spark-urban-frustrations.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
I understand it can be difficult to find appointments...I’ve been suggesting places to look throughout this thread and was just baffled by the insistence that CT is doing a bad job when we’re one of the top 3-5 states consistently for percentage of population who has received a first dose.  As of today, we have 856k people who have received a first shot here out of 2.9 million non juvenile population where the vaccine is authorized for use.  That’s about 30% of that 2.9 million, which is huge, comparatively speaking.  At our current pace I expect 2/3 vaccinated here in the next 7 weeks.  And if you’re trying to get out the vaccine fast, you put it where the most people are concentrated, especially if you have logistical issues with storing it.  That’s central Connecticut, and we are not a huge state, so that puts it within a 1 hour range of most people.  It makes sense.  We’re doing great and speeding up every day, and J and J vaccines are going to ease logistics and speed supply further.  So check the Facebook group I mentioned above and if you really can’t travel, it’s coming.  But if you are willing to travel you can get it faster.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Speaking of inequities, I was surprised to see Roadrunner's reference to lacking supply in rural areas and too much in the cities.  My perception has been that more states have been the opposite.  Of course, it makes sense that it *could* be different in different states

I think some states have been distributing evenly by population and ended up with more supply in rural areas (because there's less uptake there, percentage-wise, due to anti-vax sentiment lining up with political leanings in the same way that the rural/urban divide does). But other states have been distributing where there's more demand, which would probably push more supply to cities. I'm not sure what CT is doing. I would think there isn't as much of an extreme difference there with rural/urban since you're never that far from a city and it's a highly educated state.

There also is a perception that cities are getting more because the population is so heavily concentrated in urban areas. NYC has almost twice the population of Rhode Island and Connecticut combined - I'm sure it's hard not to see the announcements of mega vaccine hub after mega vaccine hub opening here (or in other big cities) and not feel like it's somehow unfair, even if it's just proportional to population. The reality is that many of the vaccines allocated to places like NYC and DC are being given to people who live in the suburbs and we've ended up with a lower vaccination rate than the surrounding counties. Hooray. :-/

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
My mom in Ohio is scheduled for a shot tomorrow at her local pharmacy inside a grocery!  She said it's the Janssen shot so I think that means the J&J formula.  FINALLY! 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
jrhampt if you are referring to me, I did not say CT is doing a bad job distributing the vaccine in general. If you look at Litchfield County you will see at this moment, unless something happened in the last hour or so, there are no vaccines available. I know they will come eventually.

Not all people can drive one hour to get a vaccine. Those who are not close to 70 years old may not understand that. I know lots of people my age that would drive across country. I am not that person.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
Completely agree with the others. If you are eligible, and willing, get the vaccine. Every person protected by the vaccine protects others and helps move the needle (no pun intended) toward ending the pandemic.

I’ll be eligible in my state by 3/29 and I fully intend to seek out the first opportunity to get my arm jabbed.

I recently found out that I've been eligible through my job for a while, but the language was unclear so we assumed otherwise. It feels weird to be able to get one when all you read about is the inequitable distribution and how everyone's 80 aunt can't get an appointment.

I’ve heard this as well and I totally agree it feels weird. At the same time I secured appointments at a local grocery store pharmacy without too much effort this past week for two family members who are 65+. This leads me to believe that it’s not that difficult in my immediate area to secure a vaccine, if one is wanted and the person is eligible. Based on that I’ll plan to try to find an appointment for myself and hubby when we become eligible in just over three weeks.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
New Mexico is still about the only state that is 75+. My in-laws who are in the 70-75 range were able to get their shots through the military since my Father-in-Law is retired military. A few days later they were notified by the state that they were now eligible since both of them had at least one other underlying health concern.

Meanwhile my parents in Oregon who are both over 75 haven't been able to get theirs yet. My dad was in a rehab center after a surgery and was supposed to get it a few weeks ago (back home now). My aunt in Washington who's only in her 50s was able to get her shot a few days ago. As far as I know she doesn't have any underlying health conditions and she's a retired college administrator. However, she was my grandmother's caregiver (recently passed away) so maybe she was still in some state database as a health care worker.

I am also in Oregon and didn’t run into any difficulty booking for two 65+ family members this past week. If you’d like to DM me your parents’ zip code, I’d be happy to do some digging and see if there are appointments to be found at any of the places I know of that are giving vaccines.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Spouse got their first dose of Moderna last week. Not even a sore arm for them!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
For the Veterans here it looks like the VA hospitals (at least in my area of Calif) are allowing veterans of all ages to receive a vaccine without any other qualifiers.
From what I have heard the VA in Colorado is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougules

• Magnum Stache
I've seen on the local subreddit that people here are going to a neighboring state to get the vaccine, and that nobody there is questioning it.  Our state is particularly behind most of the others not shockingly. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
there's a 'no waste' list that you can get on to get a shot if they have leftover shots. a friend of ours got her first shot even though she's young and healthy.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
I've seen on the local subreddit that people here are going to a neighboring state to get the vaccine, and that nobody there is questioning it.  Our state is particularly behind most of the others not shockingly.
Wyoming Walmart and Sam’s Clubs just opened to Colorado residents last week due to not being able to fill appointments.

Wyoming has followed the CDC guidelines closer than Colorado so many people from Colorado are eligible in Wyoming where it will likely be a month or more before they are eligible in Colorado.

Word has spread and a week ago you could find dozens of appointments anytime you wanted them in Wyoming now they are filling up quickly. Ft Collins is only ~ 45 mins from Cheyenne and Denver 1.5 hours so not too far.

Others from Colorado are driving to Texas as they apparently have no restrictions at all but that is a 6+ hour drive.

Kind of crazy but I guess that is what happens when each state decides who gets what and when.

mrsnamemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I got it today! I'm a college professor (who is currently teaching a class where 3 students show up). I'm in a state (FL) that recently allowed K-12 but not college profs to get it. BUT, I heard through the grapevine that a new FEMA site not too far away from where I live was offering it to anyone who is an "educator" or had contact with students in any way--walk up. And when I showed up they did not ask questions. I could not find any official guidance on who was eligible at this site so relied on word of mouth and consider lack of any questions to mean that they just want anyone who is potentially eligible to get it. There were lots of people there but I only waited for about one minute. We had choice of J&J or Pfizer and I choose Pfizer. From what I gathered, plenty of people were picking J&J too. Also, I'm young-ish and not at health risk, if I could have easily swapped my spot for a more vulnerable person, such as my parents, I would have, but it doesn't work like that, so I don't feel too bad.

So excited! For myself but also for fact that it feels like availability is growing quickly.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
I got it today! I'm a college professor (who is currently teaching a class where 3 students show up). I'm in a state (FL) that recently allowed K-12 but not college profs to get it. BUT, I heard through the grapevine that a new FEMA site not too far away from where I live was offering it to anyone who is an "educator" or had contact with students in any way--walk up. And when I showed up they did not ask questions. I could not find any official guidance on who was eligible at this site so relied on word of mouth and consider lack of any questions to mean that they just want anyone who is potentially eligible to get it. There were lots of people there but I only waited for about one minute. We had choice of J&J or Pfizer and I choose Pfizer. From what I gathered, plenty of people were picking J&J too. Also, I'm young-ish and not at health risk, if I could have easily swapped my spot for a more vulnerable person, such as my parents, I would have, but it doesn't work like that, so I don't feel too bad.

So excited! For myself but also for fact that it feels like availability is growing quickly.

Congrats!  I hear you on wishing you could give it to your parents, but by getting it yourself you're still doing something to protect them. 

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Yahoo! I'll be eligible next week. Whodathunk that Florida would get to my age group so quickly?
 https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/coronavirus/2021/03/08/publix-offer-johnson-johnson-vaccine-beginning-wednesday/4628500001/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=ghf-jax-main&fbclid=IwAR0Cyztb75g05Ji3rNtlT_pNvavFuMN8_X83HyngX0CB7kprG4bO6EKPHZ4
If it is anything like here in Colorado there was a lull right before the new group opens up so you might want to see if you can book an appointment now for the day after it opens to your group.

It can get sporty trying to find an appointment for a while after a new group opens up.

By the River

• Bristles
Today, my state is increasing the eligibility to 18+ with other health issues.  State data shows that ~25% of the previously eligible groups have 1 shot and another ~25% have both shots (or J&J vaccine I guess). 

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
Heard from a female friend who got the Pfizer vaccine yesterday.  Easy process, only side effect so far is a sore arm. (Women are reported as having worse side effects than men for some reason)

I'm scheduled for Saturday. I will definitely need to rein myself in until seven weeks or so from now, after I've given my second shot two weeks to take full effect...  I'm already starting to salivate over the thought of going to restaurants and traveling again.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Friend of mine in Massachusetts got his a few days ago, he's the first person I know to get the J&J vaccine.

And another friend has an appointment for tomorrow... this will be the first time she's stepped off her property in a year. Working from home, getting everything delivered, walking around and around in the backyard every day for exercise. Poor thing. I'm so happy she'll be able to feel a little safer soon.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Wow, good for your friend!

I signed up on some website called Dr. B to be on standby for a nearby vaccine that might otherwise go to waste. It has me enter my DOB, profession and any medical conditions, so they still prioritize by the state phases, which means I still shouldn't get texted any time soon. But if I do get texted, I'll be happy to know that others in proximity that qualify were asked first, and I'll race to take any offer I receive.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Wow, good for your friend!

I signed up on some website called Dr. B to be on standby for a nearby vaccine that might otherwise go to waste. It has me enter my DOB, profession and any medical conditions, so they still prioritize by the state phases, which means I still shouldn't get texted any time soon. But if I do get texted, I'll be happy to know that others in proximity that qualify were asked first, and I'll race to take any offer I receive.

I’m also signed up with Dr B!

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
Ethical dilemma?  Or just get the damn shot?

I am a long time volunteer with a large cat rescue.  Within the rescue they also operate a veterinary service.  Volunteers take care of cats sent out to pet stores (they stay in the store until adopted).  I volunteer two evenings weekly.

Tier 1c just opened up in my county (we're really far behind) and it includes veterinary occupations.  The cat rescue CEO shared a generic letter with volunteers to help us secure vaccination.  The letter states we work for the rescue's veterinary service.  It's a form letter and we would insert our names.

I'm not comfortable claiming to be a veterinary worker.  On the other hand, I am putting myself out there by "working" at a pet store 2 evenings every week.  Friends, who volunteer in delivering meals to seniors, were able to get vaccinated because they fall under "food service" category  Somehow that seems completely legitimate to me but I question my own service.  Maybe because feeding seniors is essential...and taking care of rescue cats seems less so?

Am I reading veterinary occupations too narrowly?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
I would take it in your position. You are not making any false claims about eligibility. Hospital volunteers were eligible just behind the care staff where I work, so why wouldn’t your contribution but similarly aligned with the animal care staff?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
I have been wondering if we would qualify under the construction/plumber/electrician since we are currently building our own house.  We are having to meet with various suppliers/inspectors (none of whom wear masks btw).

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
@MudPuppy, that sounds about right.  I just can't shake feeling guilty because so many others in less secure positions have yet to get vaccinated.  My real job is WFH and I live in an affluent town.

I need to get over it...

Funny...I also volunteer for a bike co-op, though all activities have ceased during Covid.  One of the perks of being a volunteer is that I get to buy bike stuff at warehouse prices through a deal we have with the hardware store where we hold co-op activities.  I totally partake and do not feel any guilt at all.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
My husband has an appt on Monday!!! So excited and a bit relieved since he has to get on a plane in a few weeks to help his elderly dad (fully vaccinated) who lives across the country to move.

He got an invitation from Kaiser of all places. Unclear why he did and I did not, unless they know his occupation and that that technically qualifies him. He's been reticent to "take advantage" since he feels he qualifies through a loophole, but after getting invited through several means and me badgering him, he's finally taking his turn!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
I got my first shot Monday morning of this week, pfizer.  38 years old, essential worker, I work in the city of Detroit and our company was just given the eligibility green light last week.

Got the shot at 10AM.  Had a wicked headache all day.  No arm soreness at all, until evening time when injection site became extremely sore.
Day 2: achiness in upper arm all day.  minor aches in back.  Very odd shooting pain in humerus.  Weird cramps in feet - feels like a mild cramp or charlie horse, but I can't stretch it out. 

I don't know if all those are directly attributable to the vaccine or just coincidence.  None of it was that bothersome besides the headache.

former player

• Walrus Stache
Ethical dilemma?  Or just get the damn shot?

I am a long time volunteer with a large cat rescue.  Within the rescue they also operate a veterinary service.  Volunteers take care of cats sent out to pet stores (they stay in the store until adopted).  I volunteer two evenings weekly.

Tier 1c just opened up in my county (we're really far behind) and it includes veterinary occupations.  The cat rescue CEO shared a generic letter with volunteers to help us secure vaccination.  The letter states we work for the rescue's veterinary service.  It's a form letter and we would insert our names.

I'm not comfortable claiming to be a veterinary worker.  On the other hand, I am putting myself out there by "working" at a pet store 2 evenings every week.  Friends, who volunteer in delivering meals to seniors, were able to get vaccinated because they fall under "food service" category  Somehow that seems completely legitimate to me but I question my own service.  Maybe because feeding seniors is essential...and taking care of rescue cats seems less so?

Am I reading veterinary occupations too narrowly?
The USA is currently vaccinating 2 million people a day and hoping to get up to 3 million a day.  At those sorts of numbers it really isn't worth worrying around the edges of who is eligible and who is not.   And the sooner you get the percentages up in "your" group the sooner vaccinations will open up for the next group - and the sooner any spare vaccines in the USA could be made available to countries that are currently struggling to acquire them.

So if you are offered an appointment or opportunity to make an appointment, take it, get the vaccine, leave the way clear for those coming after you.  If you know people who are eligible and haven't been able to make an appointment, using your skills to get one for them also helps the greater process of vaccinating as many as possible as soon as possible.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
It looks like veterinary services fall under Food and Agriculture worker in my state and it's 1B, which has been eligible for awhile.  I preregistered though not holding my breath.  It's been really slow in my county.  I have a feeling by the time it's my turn, it will be close to the anticipated April/May period when vaccines will likely be available to everyone. Nevertheless, I pre-registered and will take an appointment when offered.

Thank you for the advice @mudphud  and @former player

erutio

• Pencil Stache
There is no ethical dilemma.

Almost 100M doses have been administered in the US now.  Everyone >65 that wants one (should) have had one already.  There are pockets in the country that are slower or faster, but if you are in one of the earlier tiers and can't get an appointment, that is either due to extreme incompetence of the local jurisdiction or you just aren't trying that hard. 

The main goal now should just be getting as many shots into arms as possible.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache

Almost 100M doses have been administered in the US now.  Everyone >65 that wants one (should) have had one already. There are pockets in the country that are slower or faster, but if you are in one of the earlier tiers and can't get an appointment, that is either due to extreme incompetence of the local jurisdiction or you just aren't trying that hard. 

That's definitely not true.  Oakland county (second most populous county) has administered more doses than any other county in michigan and I know several people in the >65 age group (my parents) that are on the waiting list but have not been contacted to schedule an appointment yet. 

erutio

• Pencil Stache

Almost 100M doses have been administered in the US now.  Everyone >65 that wants one (should) have had one already. There are pockets in the country that are slower or faster, but if you are in one of the earlier tiers and can't get an appointment, that is either due to extreme incompetence of the local jurisdiction or you just aren't trying that hard. 

That's definitely not true.  Oakland county (second most populous county) has administered more doses than any other county in michigan and I know several people in the >65 age group (my parents) that are on the waiting list but have not been contacted to schedule an appointment yet. 

See the bolded part.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
I don't think the oakland county jurisdiction is incompetent as they've administered more doses than any other county in michigan.  I don't believe I am incompetent either and I have been unable to get my parents vaccinated.  I think we are close, but you may be overestimating the true vaccine coverage to date.  The vaccine data I'm seeing says only 91M doses have been administered in the USA, 32M are fully vaccinated, and 61M in total have received at least one shot. 

erutio

• Pencil Stache
@frugalnacho, I would never imply that you are incompetent. 

And I also have no doubt that certain areas in the country, someone in an eligible tier can still have a very hard time getting a vaccine shot.

That's why I wrote people >65 that want it should have had one already.  If the barriers were all removed, your parents should have had at least one dose already.  What do you think the issue is with Oakland county?  Are there a higher percentage of elderly people in that county compared to the rest of the state? Is the appointment system too cumbersome?

If it's not enough people to administer shots or not enough appointment slots, they have had 3 months to hire people, update appointment processes, and become more efficient.  So that I would put on the state or county govts.

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles

Almost 100M doses have been administered in the US now.  Everyone >65 that wants one (should) have had one already.  There are pockets in the country that are slower or faster, but if you are in one of the earlier tiers and can't get an appointment, that is either due to extreme incompetence of the local jurisdiction or you just aren't trying that hard. 

a county in the state I live in has only vaccinated 4% of the pop for both shots. It's a relatively affluent county just outside of DC. I know hundreds of people over age 65 not yet vaxxed.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
I have no idea what the issue is.  129k doses have been administered in oakland county.  The largest hospital I know of (royal oak beaumont) has 38k employees, and there are tons of other hospitals and doctors and others in the healthcare industry.  And considering it takes 2 doses, they may have just not completed the healthcare employees and everyone 65+ at this point.  Maybe the county actually is incompetent and is far behind the curve and I just can't tell from the data without diving in and parsing out all the various factors.  I'm really not up on the data and just pulled everything in my last few posts from the public websites after googling.

I agree that in theory the usa has a lot of vaccines and should have gotten to the most vulnerable by this point, but I think in practice there are still a lot of people >65 across the country that have been unable to get a vaccine and not for lack of trying.

My mom suffered a stroke in 2020 and is partially paralyzed on her right side, and I think my dad is showing signs of losing his mind (early dementia maybe?).  Both >65.  I work in an 80 person industrial facility and about half the people in the company are MAGA idiots and many of them still believe this thing is a hoax and no big deal.  My wife has been freaked out and overly (IMO) cautious about contact with anyone, and we recently found out we are pregnant so her fear driven cautiousness has kicked into overdrive.  I've been proactive about trying to get my parents vaccinated because it sucks not being able to see them since before thanksgiving, except for the one emergency situation that I had to go lift my mom off the floor after she fell and they couldn't get her up.  I feel guilty about not seeing them and being able to help my dad and sisters more, but I also feel it would be irresponsible of me to be interacting with them, my own family, and everyone I have to deal with at work on a constant basis.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
I have no idea what the issue is.  129k doses have been administered in oakland county.  The largest hospital I know of (royal oak beaumont) has 38k employees, and there are tons of other hospitals and doctors and others in the healthcare industry.  And considering it takes 2 doses, they may have just not completed the healthcare employees and everyone 65+ at this point.  Maybe the county actually is incompetent and is far behind the curve and I just can't tell from the data without diving in and parsing out all the various factors.  I'm really not up on the data and just pulled everything in my last few posts from the public websites after googling.

I agree that in theory the usa has a lot of vaccines and should have gotten to the most vulnerable by this point, but I think in practice there are still a lot of people >65 across the country that have been unable to get a vaccine and not for lack of trying.

My mom suffered a stroke in 2020 and is partially paralyzed on her right side, and I think my dad is showing signs of losing his mind (early dementia maybe?).  Both >65.  I work in an 80 person industrial facility and about half the people in the company are MAGA idiots and many of them still believe this thing is a hoax and no big deal.  My wife has been freaked out and overly (IMO) cautious about contact with anyone, and we recently found out we are pregnant so her fear driven cautiousness has kicked into overdrive.  I've been proactive about trying to get my parents vaccinated because it sucks not being able to see them since before thanksgiving, except for the one emergency situation that I had to go lift my mom off the floor after she fell and they couldn't get her up.  I feel guilty about not seeing them and being able to help my dad and sisters more, but I also feel it would be irresponsible of me to be interacting with them, my own family, and everyone I have to deal with at work on a constant basis.
Have you looked to see if there is a vaccine hunter / helper Facebook group for your state or city?

The one I am part of here it seems like most of the older people that are not getting vaccinated are waiting for someone to call them VS being proactive.  They join the Facebook group and either the info helps them get an appointment or they ask for help and typically someone finds them an appointment in a few hours to a day.

Have they checked pharmacies and grocery stores?

News story about MI vaccine hunter / helpers group

www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2021/03/08/vaccine-hunters-of-michigan-volunteer-group-helps-seniors-book-covid-19-vaccine-appointments/%3foutputType=amp

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:37:00 PM by the_fixer »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
I'm not on facebook.  The county only has a waiting list and they provide no other information about how to get a vaccine.  It's literally just a waiting list.  I've checked into grocery stores and pharmacies, but they all dead end.  They either aren't available in Michigan, or they aren't available for anything other than a sign up list to reserve a spot, or they say you're eligible and to schedule an appointment which results in "there are no available appointments for this location - select another location" which just leads to the same thing at every site. 

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
I'm not on facebook.  The county only has a waiting list and they provide no other information about how to get a vaccine.  It's literally just a waiting list.  I've checked into grocery stores and pharmacies, but they all dead end.  They either aren't available in Michigan, or they aren't available for anything other than a sign up list to reserve a spot, or they say you're eligible and to schedule an appointment which results in "there are no available appointments for this location - select another location" which just leads to the same thing at every site.
It sucks but you have to be in the know on how to get the vaccine in your area simply waiting on the county list or trying to go to the grocery / pharmacy websites will not result in success for most at this time.

Most tips, tricks and knowledge on how to get appointments are on those Facebook groups. They know when clinics are coming up, they know when appointments open and tips for getting them.

Most of the groups are open so you do not even need to be a Facebook user to view.

Without being in the loop it is brutal but there are resources and people willing to help. A couple of hours of research and effort and I bet you could get them an appointment.

Not sure if this is the correct group for your area

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westmichiganvaccinehunters/permalink/1100947463720042/

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:53:21 PM by the_fixer »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
After hearing yestereday about a bunch of people getting the vaccine and not being asked anything about how they qualify, I'm starting to think there are really no guardrails on this thing and am worried about the inequities happening.  Either that or I'm worried about how little I realized that like 90% of Americans have severe underlying conditions that do qualify them and that I don't (have a right to) know about and that's alarming for our public health! 

My hairdresser got a vaccine, which I'm really happy about since she's interacting with people at close quarters constantly, but she was worried she'd be turned away since she technically does not qualify.  They didn't ask when she arrived.  Another friend and his husband, who are both white collar WFH people in their 20s, went to a walk-up place early yesterday morning and both got the vaccine.  And a handful of other people like that in their 20s and 30s that I know about.  They didn't make an appointment, so there was no qualifying on that end, and they aren't being asked when they walk up, so there are no checks on that end either.  Next Door took down a post the other day where someone in my gentrifying neighborhood was posting about how you could go get a vaccine in the poorer Black neighborhood a 3 minute drive away. And yes, again, I might not know about the conditions all these people have but . . . what we know about public health and probability just makes it unlikely that all these people actually technically qualify.

I'm a fan of "shots in arms" but not so much a fan of pretending to have tiers and priorities if we actually don't. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
I'm a fan of "shots in arms" but not so much a fan of pretending to have tiers and priorities if we actually don't.

A lot more people may qualify than you realize. A couple of the comorbidities on the New York list are things that 40%+ of American adults qualify for, and a couple are around 10%. I'd say definitely more than half of New Yorkers qualify. Not sure how much more than half, but it's a lot.

There are also people who are lying or trying to stretch the definitions of the comorbidities, unfortunately. In the volunteer group I'm in, they finally banned people from asking about qualifications and just have a blanket answer of "ask your doctor." People keep finding stupid little loopholes in the wording, like the one where it says "neurological disorders including but not limited to Alzheimers and dementia." Obviously it means disorders that cause serious mental impairment, but people are trying to read it as any neurological disorder since it says "not limited to." And neurological disorders could mean... headaches, dizziness, insomnia... lots of very common stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with your COVID susceptibility. It's pretty upsetting when there are still a ton of elderly people who haven't been able to get appointments (in part because our state has put a high priority on essential workers and not-so-essential public-facing workers so the elderly are competing with millions of younger, healthier people). And then there are all the people who absolutely don't qualify who are saying "just open it up to everyone" because they are too selfish to wait for 85-year-olds and cancer patients to finish getting vaccinated so they can go back out to the bars on Tinder dates.

On the flip side I know people who technically are eligible, but are healthy and will not get the vaccine now because they know there are millions more vulnerable people who need it first...

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her

A lot more people may qualify than you realize. A couple of the comorbidities on the New York list are things that 40%+ of American adults qualify for, and a couple are around 10%. I'd say definitely more than half of New Yorkers qualify. Not sure how much more than half, but it's a lot.

It's true that I don't have a good grasp on all this. But my cousin who was born with a neurological disability was just complaining on social media about not qualifying for the shot.  She lives in the same state as me and so it's extra strange to see all these other people just walking up and snagging shots like they are penny-candy at the corner drugstore. 

And it's also not so much whether they qualify or not but that no one's asking!  Which goes back to my thing about let's not pretend we have tiers if we don't.  I don't know how to feel about all this.  I honestly am happy for my friends and acquaintances that are getting the shots.  It's just a lot of cognitive dissonance that I'm having a hard time ignoring even though my questions and lack of understanding don't matter at all.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
And it's also not so much whether they qualify or not but that no one's asking!

Yeah, it's happening mostly on the honor system in a lot of places. I think they decided that the inequities caused by some small number of people lying is less than the inequities caused by forcing over 50% of the population to acquire proof of their medical issues. I got a doctor's note because it was unclear in the first week if that would be required, and my doctor required me to make a telehealth appointment to get it. On the insurance plan I had last year I would have paid $120 for that appointment out of pocket. For a lot of people $120 would be a deal breaker. And some people don't have a primary care doctor at all, or haven't seen a doctor in years for financial reasons, but are no less qualified for a vaccine.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
They started a new program in CA where you can theoretically get a shot at the end of your shift for volunteering at a vaccine site for a day.  Spots disappear almost instantly, but my friends were able to snag a few, and then helped my wife and I get signed up in about a month.  They aren't required to give you a vaccine dose, but the strong implication is that you would get one.  I would be a bit peeved if I drove 2.5 hours round trip and worked for 8 hours on my day off and didn't get a dose, certainly.

We're both in the next mini-tier of vaccine eligibility, but I'm happy to attack this problem from any angle I can.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
That makes sense, @Dollar Slice. I listened to a great podcast yesterday with Ezra Klein interviewing the CA Surgeon General (not right title, l think? Can't remember atm) and she was talking about how they are trying to take the pressure off the people checking patients in by doing things in the "back office" to increase equity, like by how they decide which zip codes the vaccines go to in the first place. I'd say it seems like they have their work cut out for them and wish them the best in those efforts. It seems much needed based on that interview.