Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229555 times)

begood

• Handlebar Stache
Pennsylvania added teachers, school staff, preschool, and child care teachers and staff to Phase 1A as of today! I live on a boarding school campus (husband works at the school, but I don't) so basically my entire social circle is now eligible to get vaccinated! As of now, being a campus resident doesn't make me eligible, so I'll keep waiting. I'm in Phase 2, after approx 482,000 other county residents. Oof.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
Our county health director today said he expects appointments to open to the general public/anybody starting mid-March.

Biden saying enough for all adults by end of May

My parents (both age 72) just got their second Moderna shots this week, so based on the information they were given, they should be at maximum effective immunity within about two weeks, though probably up in the 70-80% range already even today. It sounds like at least in my state, pretty much everyone age 65+ who has tried to get a shot has gotten their first shot at a minimum now, which is great. I've seen information like the two I quoted above and am hopeful to have my own shot within the next 6 weeks or so. I'm not picky; if J&J is what's available to me, that's fine too even though it officially had lower effectiveness. It wasn't tested apples to apples in the same times and locations as the Pfizer and Moderna, so their results weren't totally comparable in the first place.

We're about 10 days now from when the lockdowns and toilet paper panic buying started a full year ago and there were terrible reports about how it could be 10 years before we'd have vaccines, if they were even possible to create at all. Instead while we're still in somewhat rough shape, we've got a massive rollout going on and multiple companies already prepping the phase 2 vaccines for the new regional variants. Honestly, I kind of love the modern world. None of this was possible in the past and I'm thankful to have all of this available to us. It's important to be thankful for things like rapid development vaccines to keep a realistic perspective on things.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
I was able to snag appointments for two eligible (65+) family members earlier this morning for tomorrow. They had previously been scheduled for later this month and April. Very excited to be able to get their first doses moved up.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
Both of my bf's parents got their second Moderna shot last week in Wisconsin. Bf's dad had no side effects.  He said it didn't even hurt when he got it.  Bf's mom had some intense itching and redness of her hands and feet but otherwise felt fine.  Meanwhile in Illinois, my mom is still waiting to get scheduled for her first shot.  She had Covid in December so I'm not too worried about it yet.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Teacher friend in WA state got first shot today, and a friend in VA also got a shot today.  Someone on FB asked how she was able to get it and it's because she is a registered substitute teacher, which I thought was interesting. 

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
Our county health director today said he expects appointments to open to the general public/anybody starting mid-March.

Biden saying enough for all adults by end of May

My parents (both age 72) just got their second Moderna shots this week, so based on the information they were given, they should be at maximum effective immunity within about two weeks, though probably up in the 70-80% range already even today. It sounds like at least in my state, pretty much everyone age 65+ who has tried to get a shot has gotten their first shot at a minimum now, which is great. I've seen information like the two I quoted above and am hopeful to have my own shot within the next 6 weeks or so. I'm not picky; if J&J is what's available to me, that's fine too even though it officially had lower effectiveness. It wasn't tested apples to apples in the same times and locations as the Pfizer and Moderna, so their results weren't totally comparable in the first place.

We're about 10 days now from when the lockdowns and toilet paper panic buying started a full year ago and there were terrible reports about how it could be 10 years before we'd have vaccines, if they were even possible to create at all. Instead while we're still in somewhat rough shape, we've got a massive rollout going on and multiple companies already prepping the phase 2 vaccines for the new regional variants. Honestly, I kind of love the modern world. None of this was possible in the past and I'm thankful to have all of this available to us. It's important to be thankful for things like rapid development vaccines to keep a realistic perspective on things.

The J&J vaccine had 100% effectiveness against hospitalization and death from COVID. Additionally, it was tested later than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, after other strains had already emerged, so its lower effectiveness against contracting COVID at all is not necessarily an indication that it is worse.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
My county is now mopping up 1a and has made a good start on 1b (school and daycare staff and other public employees). My university just announced that all employees who are not 100% work from home can now get vaccinated. Our senior students have now gone through training to work as vaccinators too!!!

My stepdad in IL (74 and diabetic) gets his second shot next week.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Gotta admit, I'm a little jealous.  As the largest city in Canada (and the source of many outbreaks), we here in Toronto have so far not bothered to start vaccinating anyone.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
Gotta admit, I'm a little jealous.  As the largest city in Canada (and the source of many outbreaks), we here in Toronto have so far not bothered to start vaccinating anyone.

Um...why?  I'd heard this about Japan as well, what's the rationale here? 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache

They didn't decide not to vaccinate, they're just doing a bad/slow job of it and he's being facetious. I'm sure there are a lot of complicated reasons behind it, including the EU, UK and US sucking up all the vaccine production (sorry).

charis

• Magnum Stache
Teacher friend in WA state got first shot today, and a friend in VA also got a shot today.  Someone on FB asked how she was able to get it and it's because she is a registered substitute teacher, which I thought was interesting.

Interesting in what way? The pandemic has created a great need for/dearth of substitute teachers.  They should be vaccinated as the same rate as regular school employees if we want students back in the classroom.

I know a number of retired teachers who are registered substitutes who will not consider being active right now until they are vaccinated.

A common issue for teachers are they are, largely, female caretakers for unvaccinated or vulnerable people, namely their children or their parents, or both, and underpaid. People love to villify teachers, but systemic gender discrimination is at issue in the school opening pandemic debate.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:34:08 PM by charis »

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache

They didn't decide not to vaccinate, they're just doing a bad/slow job of it and he's being facetious. I'm sure there are a lot of complicated reasons behind it, including the EU, UK and US sucking up all the vaccine production (sorry).

I wondered if the US were just being greedy hoarders.  I mean, I'm super glad my parents are getting vaccinated, don't get me wrong, but it sucks for everyone else in the world :(

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache

I wondered if the US were just being greedy hoarders.  I mean, I'm super glad my parents are getting vaccinated, don't get me wrong, but it sucks for everyone else in the world :(

Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J are all American companies... founded in New York, Massachusetts and New York, respectively. (Pfizer did work with BioNTech, which is a German company, and J&J worked with Janssen, which is a Belgian company that's owned by J&J. Moderna worked with the NIH.) So it's not too shocking if the US and EU are getting prioritized. Likewise, the UK seems to be getting a lot of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine which was developed in the UK.

There are many more vaccines that we're not hearing about, though - Russia, China and India are successfully using a bunch that they developed, and there are more in trials all over the place, including another very promising one in the US (Novavax). I'm sure the streets of Canada will be flowing with vaccines after a little while.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
I read recently that Canada contracted with a handful of vaccine distributors, which has hamstrung them as just a few of them have been approved, and there's simply not enough supply of Moderna and Pfizer since they're spread thin with their orders. I'm sure in a few months they'll be flush with vaccine.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
This entire vaccination supply thing has turned into an economic battle, where rich first world countries are signing contracts giving them basically preferential treatment by the vaccine manufacturers (that those countries, admittedly, helped tremendously by de-risking the investment decisions in vaccines). It's just ironic that AZ consistently underdelivers on their EU contract when they are in parallel lobbying in the US for a contract and make a promise to deliver 200M doses in like 1 month while there is a 40M shortfall in Q1 for their European contract.

I realize that I'm still extremely privileged being in Western-Europe vs let's say Latin America, most of Asia or Russia but it just feels like another way that capitalism is being used as a way to get the more financially powerful economies back on track sooner. I don't have a solution on how to do it better though so I should just shut up until I come up with something better I guess.

former player

• Walrus Stache
This entire vaccination supply thing has turned into an economic battle, where rich first world countries are signing contracts giving them basically preferential treatment by the vaccine manufacturers (that those countries, admittedly, helped tremendously by de-risking the investment decisions in vaccines). It's just ironic that AZ consistently underdelivers on their EU contract when they are in parallel lobbying in the US for a contract and make a promise to deliver 200M doses in like 1 month while there is a 40M shortfall in Q1 for their European contract.

I realize that I'm still extremely privileged being in Western-Europe vs let's say Latin America, most of Asia or Russia but it just feels like another way that capitalism is being used as a way to get the more financially powerful economies back on track sooner. I don't have a solution on how to do it better though so I should just shut up until I come up with something better I guess.
There is a clear linkage of covid deaths to being overweight, still significantly a high-income country problem -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/03/covid-deaths-high-in-countries-with-more-overweight-people-says-report

COVAX has started rolling out vaccine deliveries to low income countries -

https://www.gavi.org/covax-facility

The Oxford/Astra Zenica vaccine has been developed, manufactured and distributed on a non-profit basis and costs only $3 a dose for low and middle income countries -

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/nov/23/oxford-astrazeneca-results-covid-vaccine-developing-countries

So it's not brilliant for equal access to vaccines around the planet but it's better than it might have been.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
84 year old dad in Iowa got his second Moderna shot yesterday at the VA.  No side effects other than the sore arm.  Huge sigh of relief -- I was worried.  So happy he's vaccinated!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache

Interesting in what way? The pandemic has created a great need for/dearth of substitute teachers.  They should be vaccinated as the same rate as regular school employees if we want students back in the classroom.

I know a number of retired teachers who are registered substitutes who will not consider being active right now until they are vaccinated.

A common issue for teachers are they are, largely, female caretakers for unvaccinated or vulnerable people, namely their children or their parents, or both, and underpaid. People love to villify teachers, but systemic gender discrimination is at issue in the school opening pandemic debate.

I'm actually surprised that preK-12 teachers of all types were not right behind front line healthcare workers on the priority list.

My kid's school principal has sent out multiple desperate calls for people to become new substitute teachers, which I have never seen before. We already had a teacher shortage here in the South, which is not surprising given the low pay scale, and now teachers have to be instantanenous experts on all sorts of new technology on top of enforcing best practices to slow the spread of the disease.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
I'm getting vaccinated today! They finished all the first responders, teachers, and >65 as of a week ago and they're trying to hit all the front line folks (ie grocery clerks) and people that work with youth. So my youth ski coach status finally pays off, lol.

AFAIK it will be the J&J vaccine.

-W

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
My mom is getting her first shot today at noon!  I have no idea which one it will be, but I'm super excited.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
My mom (65+) has received her first shot, and my brother and SIL (both teachers) are scheduled to get theirs in the next couple days. I'm not considered at-risk or essential so I don't expect to be eligible for awhile now, but our local healthcare provider just released a signup form to be notified for same-day shots, presumably if they have an open vial with extra doses that need to be used up or trashed. Not sure how likely it is that I'll actually get notified but it'd be great if it happens!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache

I'm actually surprised that preK-12 teachers of all types were not right behind front line healthcare workers on the priority list.

My kid's school principal has sent out multiple desperate calls for people to become new substitute teachers, which I have never seen before. We already had a teacher shortage here in the South, which is not surprising given the low pay scale, and now teachers have to be instantanenous experts on all sorts of new technology on top of enforcing best practices to slow the spread of the disease.

The K-12 teachers in Ohio actually have been prioritized - they held vaccine clinics in the schools to give the teachers their shots weeks ago.

But subs are incredibly hard to find. A lot of subs are retired teachers, and they've dropped out of the pool, and a lot of teachers have take early retirement anyway.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache

Easy there.  I wasn't villifying anyone.  She was a substitute last year and thus far has not subbed at all this school year.  She also has no intention of doing so, as far as I can tell, as she is moving away in a few months and she's a SAHP to a young child who needs close monitoring for his own virtual schooling (more than the average kid his age), so I don't see how she even *could* sub.  It was surprising to me that, on the surface, it seems that anyone who registers (or has registered, as she said she was contacted because of her subbing last year) as a sub can get the vaccine, because that does create a bit of a loophole. I could go right now, register, and then be eligible, with no intention of ever subbing.   But I'm all for vaccinating people in the schools and I realize there is no good way to confirm someone is actually going to sub (and even if they are, plans change). 

So, it was *interesting* to me.  I didn't say anything critical.  It was a piece of news that interested me. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:45:03 AM by Villanelle »

charis

• Magnum Stache
I didn't say that you were villifying anyone, just making a general observation. Sorry if that's how it came across.  You can't know if someone is going to sub, but that's an issue across other qualifying professions.  No one is calling anyone's employer to verify who is or is going to be actually interfacing with the public.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
I reached out to some friends in their 70s to see if they might need assistance with getting an appointment since they're not very internet-savvy, but I haven't heard anything back yet... probably none of my business, but I figured I'd offer just in case they were wishing they had help.

I finally tracked these folks down, she had changed her phone number somehow. The good news is that they had their first vaccine on Friday. The bad news is that they had COVID pretty badly during the time when I lost track of them and they both ended up with pneumonia :-( I hope they don't have any lingering after-effects... they are the nicest people. She's like the NYC Italian grandma I never had.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Who got a vaccine?

This guy :)

Made an appointment for my wife who is qualified and it happened to be at the end of the day and snowing outside.

As my wife was getting the shot the person administering it asked me if I had mine yet and I told her I was not qualified until the next round. She said they had extras and had been calling around and asked me if I wanted it.

Heck yeah.

So exciting!!! I have booked dozens of appointments helping others get appointments and it feels like the universe just gave me a high five.

Moderna
And we both have slight arm soreness so far and grinning from ear to ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

better late

• Bristles
My dear husband and 6 of my close friends have had their vaccination or are scheduled. It’s both wonderful because I love them all but also I’m getting jealous! Thinking they’re going to start hanging out without me!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Who got a vaccine?

This guy :)

Made an appointment for my wife who is qualified and it happened to be at the end of the day and snowing outside.

As my wife was getting the shot the person administering it asked me if I had mine yet and I told her I was not qualified until the next round. She said they had extras and had been calling around and asked me if I wanted it.

Heck yeah.

So exciting!!! I have booked dozens of appointments helping others get appointments and it feels like the universe just gave me a high five.

Moderna
And we both have slight arm soreness so far and grinning from ear to ear.

Oh yes I know that feeling. Celebrated my second one by having lunch with a (also vaccinated) friend in an actual restaurant. I even had a draft beer!!!!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
We are kind of low down on the priority list.

It seems to go something like this:

Quite old people
Emergency workers
Liars
Teachers who teach
Liars
Teachers who are "phoning it in"
Murderers
Rapists
Liars
People who choose to smoke
Not quite as old people
Liars
People with a couple of health problems not as serious as choosing to smoke
Dogs
Cats
Us

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Somewhat tangential, but I had COVID recently, and I was thinking I should wait until the vaccine is readily available to get it to allow everybody who doesn't have any natural immunity to get it first.  Does this make sense, or should I still try to elbow my way into the line?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Somewhat tangential, but I had COVID recently, and I was thinking I should wait until the vaccine is readily available to get it to allow everybody who doesn't have any natural immunity to get it first.  Does this make sense, or should I still try to elbow my way into the line?

What I've seen in public information is that people who have had COVID should still get the vaccine when they are otherwise eligible.  But that's the broad public rec and I'm not sure if someone would tell you something different on the DL.

My neighbor just told me he got vaccinated and that he just got an appointment at Walgreens and they gave it to him without asking about his eligibility.  He was prepared to make a case to them that he's an essential worker (I do not think he technically qualifies, but that he hoped at the clinic they would shrug and say ok) but then they didn't even ask.  And it sounds like the appointment wasn't even that hard to get.

He also just told me that the most dangerous time, the time you have to be most careful is in between shots.  That it's worse than any other time to get COVID then because something something about the virus mutating something something while your own immunity is only moderate.  This sounds like some made up stuff and I'm not even doing the work of googling it myself, but in case anyone has a response to that, lay it on me.

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Where I live, they generally don't let people get the vaccine if they've had COVID within the past 90 days. There are apparently two reasons for that: (1) you should have natural immunity for at least 90 days, so it's better to let the vaccine go to people who don't have natural immunity first; and (2) people who recently had COVID tend to have the most severe reactions to the vaccine, since their immune system is still really ramped up, so vaccination will be less painful for them if they wait a little longer.

dougules

• Magnum Stache

Where I live, they generally don't let people get the vaccine if they've had COVID within the past 90 days. There are apparently two reasons for that: (1) you should have natural immunity for at least 90 days, so it's better to let the vaccine go to people who don't have natural immunity first; and (2) people who recently had COVID tend to have the most severe reactions to the vaccine, since their immune system is still really ramped up, so vaccination will be less painful for them if they wait a little longer.

Seems reasonable to me.  I'll go with that.  I suspect that vaccine supply still won't have quite caught up with demand by the time I hit 90 days. 

I had seen that people who had already had COVID are more likely to have side effects.  Yay me. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Quite old people
Emergency workers
Liars
Teachers who teach
Liars
Teachers who are "phoning it in"
Murderers
Rapists
Liars
People who choose to smoke
Not quite as old people
<———————- Food workers
Liars
People with a couple of health problems not as serious as choosing to smoke
Dogs
Cats
Us

I got a good laugh out of this, especially the Liars part. Ours locally looks like your list with a couple of modifications...

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache

Intereting.  Whem my sister got Covid (they day before she was supposed to get her 1st shot), she was initially told she no longer qualified for program to get her the vaccine (she's sort of a mash-up of health care and law enforcement).  Then something changed and she did get it through her office, shortly after she recovered (certainly not 90 days; IIRC it wasn't even 30 days). 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache

Intereting.  Whem my sister got Covid (they day before she was supposed to get her 1st shot), she was initially told she no longer qualified for program to get her the vaccine (she's sort of a mash-up of health care and law enforcement).  Then something changed and she did get it through her office, shortly after she recovered (certainly not 90 days; IIRC it wasn't even 30 days).

My situation was confusing too, since I work for the university but sometimes teach at the hospital and have patient contact. The health department initially wanted the hospitals to take care of us and the hospitals wanted nothing to do with it because they were busy vaccinating their own staff.  We finally got it through the health department along with other 1a people who don't work for the hospital (dentists, group home employees, home health workers, etc.)

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
My sister and BIL (48 & 50) got their stand by Modern first shots today at Publix in FL. They just added their names to the wait list in a lot of places.   They are in an area where a lot of the older vets got their shots from the VA and the non vets are being covidiots.  After there are no over 65’s to call they go by age oldest to youngest.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
I found out today that I'm technically eligible for a vaccine because I help out at my son's cooperative preschool once a week. Our state just moved all teachers and school staff (broadly defined as anyone who is necessary to the functioning of an in-person school or child care facility) up to the current tier. The preschool can't meet its ratios without a couple of parent helpers every day, so I meet the criteria. I kind of feel like I should hold off on making an appointment because I don't feel like I'm really essential enough to get it yet (grocery store employees my age are not yet eligible, for example), and I am mostly able to stay away from other people, but also I do want to be vaccinated. Tough call.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Not tough at all. Every dose helps. Get yours.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Not tough at all. Every dose helps. Get yours.
Yep exactly

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
I would get it as soon as I was eligible. There are areas where they are broadening the scope of who can get the vaccine earlier than anticipated because some folks in the early groups aren't getting theirs for whatever reason. At this point, every person gets us closer to herd immunity so I say go for it!

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
Completely agree with the others. If you are eligible, and willing, get the vaccine. Every person protected by the vaccine protects others and helps move the needle (no pun intended) toward ending the pandemic.

I’ll be eligible in my state by 3/29 and I fully intend to seek out the first opportunity to get my arm jabbed.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
I would get it as soon as I was eligible. There are areas where they are broadening the scope of who can get the vaccine earlier than anticipated because some folks in the early groups aren't getting theirs for whatever reason. At this point, every person gets us closer to herd immunity so I say go for it!
We had a drive up clinic here in rural Colorado with 550 vaccines available and only ~200 people showed. They moved the extra to another clinic in the town next to it (that is even smaller) for a total of 850 available it will be interesting to see how many people actually go.

Around here people in rural areas are very skeptical of taking the vaccine so appointments are easy to come by in those areas and people are driving hours from the front range to get vaccinated.

Apparently Walmart in Wyoming has been unable to fill appointments so they opened to Colorado residents and many front range residents are heading up there due to only requiring 1 health issue and lower age limits.

All in all if you are eligible here and willing to put a few hours of work into it appointments seem easy to come by.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
The only thing I can conclude from anti-vax stances is that:
1. people don't understand how antibodies work, and/or
2. people don't like getting shots.

Vaccines are an absolutely modern miracle. How that isn't taught better in schools defies logic.

The rules for who gets in line in what order don't always totally make sense, as others have pointed out. But, there has to be some order to the process, so the govts created an order. Just accept your spot in line and get your shot when they tell you it's time regardless of the reason you qualify. And if you just stumble into being able to get a shot early, then don't turn it down either (because there are thawed doses being trashed here and there at the end of the day.) Don't let some sort of weird "survivor guilt" slow you down.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
The only thing I can conclude from anti-vax stances is that:
1. people don't understand how antibodies work, and/or
2. people don't like getting shots.

Vaccines are an absolutely modern miracle. How that isn't taught better in schools defies logic.

The rules for who gets in line in what order don't always totally make sense, as others have pointed out. But, there has to be some order to the process, so the govts created an order. Just accept your spot in line and get your shot when they tell you it's time regardless of the reason you qualify. And if you just stumble into being able to get a shot early, then don't turn it down either (because there are thawed doses being trashed here and there at the end of the day.) Don't let some sort of weird "survivor guilt" slow you down.

or 3.  People are complacent because previous vaccination campaigns for other diseases have worked so well.

I'm old enough to remember pre-vaccination life and am going to register for vaccination as soon as my age group is eligible. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Or 4, people don't trust that the vaccine is safe, or -- more rarely -- that they think there's some nefarious government plot behind it. 

I've talked to several people that say they will think about getting it in maybe 6 months or a year, after they see what happens to the people getting it now.  One of them works in a prison and was offered the vaccine in January.  She turned it down because she's waiting to judge the safety.  Also, a study done in my hometown showed that nearly 50% of the nursing home workers (!) turned it down as well based on safety and government overreach concerns.   

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
I'll be getting my first dose of the vaccine on Friday. There is very high demand and very low supply of vaccine in my area. We have been hit very hard by COVID-19 with many deaths. I think people in the countryside with low population density don't understand how terrible this disease is so they are more reluctant to get vaccinated. We also have a lot of disinformation from people with just enough intelligence to be able to use social media without the necessary intelligence to understand how vaccination works.

charis

• Magnum Stache
Completely agree with the others. If you are eligible, and willing, get the vaccine. Every person protected by the vaccine protects others and helps move the needle (no pun intended) toward ending the pandemic.

I’ll be eligible in my state by 3/29 and I fully intend to seek out the first opportunity to get my arm jabbed.

I recently found out that I've been eligible through my job for a while, but the language was unclear so we assumed otherwise. It feels weird to be able to get one when all you read about is the inequitable distribution and how everyone's 80 aunt can't get an appointment.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
I live in CT and have been checking the VAMS website 10 times a day searching for vaccines. It is impossible to find. I keep hearing CT is doing better than most states. I can't understand that because in my county, there is nothing. every place on the list says 'none available'. It doesn't appear to be at our local Walgreens, Walmart, CVS or grocery pharmacies either.  I have called the senior center in town and an 800 number that they tell you to call. Nothing! There are at least 5 hospitals in our area that have none available either. They seem to be supplying the bigger cities and forgetting about us country bumpkins.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
New Mexico is still about the only state that is 75+. My in-laws who are in the 70-75 range were able to get their shots through the military since my Father-in-Law is retired military. A few days later they were notified by the state that they were now eligible since both of them had at least one other underlying health concern.

Meanwhile my parents in Oregon who are both over 75 haven't been able to get theirs yet. My dad was in a rehab center after a surgery and was supposed to get it a few weeks ago (back home now). My aunt in Washington who's only in her 50s was able to get her shot a few days ago. As far as I know she doesn't have any underlying health conditions and she's a retired college administrator. However, she was my grandmother's caregiver (recently passed away) so maybe she was still in some state database as a health care worker.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!