Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229552 times)

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
It's a week past my second dose of Moderna.   All has been fine, and I should now be 90%+ protected against COVID-19 from the mainstream variants in the U.S.

I might actually have to try eating out in a restaurant - I haven't done than since sometime before March of last year!

This is exactly the type of increase in risky behaviours that I expect to see as vaccines roll-out.  It's a natural reaction, and I get the urge to start doing all the things you used to do . . . but will end up causing a lot of needless deaths.

I'd just note that the people most likely to engage in risky behavior, i.e. going to a packed bar or restaurant with no mask, are the ones most likely to get infected and would therefore contribute to herd immunity in that way.

I don't know about where you live, but what I'm talking about is not considered risky behavior by my state, county health department, or city under the current guidelines.  Restaurants are allowed to have indoor dining up to 25% max capacity, with tables 6' or further apart, and you're required to wear a mask except at your table (so you can eat).  Social distancing still applies.  There's no sitting at bars, no standing while eating or drinking.  My county has just over 40 active cases.  I think that with me going out to eat one of these days by myself for the first time in about year under these guidelines and circumstances is very low risk, even if I wasn't fully vaccinated.  Safer than the grocery store where I pass by people from time to time not wearing masks.

There were a couple comments in this thread stating that vaccines are not 100%.   LOL   Come on, doesn't everyone know that?  I never heard anyone imply they were 100% effective.  In my previous post, I had even said I was probably about 90%+ protected against the mainstream variants.  I said "mainstream" because the vaccine is expected to be closer to 50% effective against the South African and Brazilian strains, which have only been found in a few states so far, not mine.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
They announced on the news a call for volunteers at our local mega vaccine center.  Volunteers direct traffic and sanitize stuff, they need 150 per 4 hour shift, after 20 hours, volunteers are “health care” volunteers and can register for a vaccine as such.

I also have my 2nd dose as a first responder tomorrow.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
To be fair, thus far as per the studies of the various vaccines, you are 100% protected from death by any of them. You are almost 100% protected from hospitalization.

Remember that "effective" in this context means absolutely no symptoms.

The question is whether you could hypothetically infect someone else even after being vaccinated. We don't know that for sure yet, though it's very likely that you can't/are extremely unlikely to. So continuing to be at least somewhat cautious until most people are vaccinated (or only hanging out with other vaccinated people for now) is still a good idea.

-W

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
The question is whether you could hypothetically infect someone else even after being vaccinated. We don't know that for sure yet, though it's very likely that you can't/are extremely unlikely to.

New news is that the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine will reduce transmission.

A single shot of the AstraZeneca/Oxford University vaccine reduced transmission of the coronavirus by 67% and provided substantial protection against COVID-19 for at least three months, according to preliminary data from three trials unveiled Tuesday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/02/02/covid-news-california-washington-struggle-vaccine-equity-50-m-shots-distributed/4349572001/

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
I appreciate y'alls right to discuss the effectiveness and subsequent behaviors.  Please start another thread.  This thread is about who is getting it and I really like reading about it.  I don't think I'm alone based on the number of on topic posts

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
I was hoping to get vaccinated by summer, but at the current vaccination rates, my health system will get me vaccinated *possibly* by the year 2025.  https://abc7.com/kaiser-permanente-vaccine-california/10230169/

Sigh. 

I mean, I may be too impatient, but I was hoping for some glimmer of news, since the Biden Admin took over, that vaccine production and distribution would speed up.  But I'm not hearing any murmurings of actual steps that should result in that happening in the coming weeks?

They're ramping up production and distribution. I was able to get my mom a vaccine by using this site:

https://www.vaccinateca.com/near-me

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
I received my second injection on Tuesday at 11 o'clock. As previously reported, I felt fine the rest of the day, unlike the first time. Today, I worked a shift at the hospital thrift shop (which is how I qualified for the vaccine).

By 3 o'clock, my arm was hurting a bit, and sheer exHAUSTion set in. I went home and took a lovely nap. I am running a slight fever and feel wiped out. Due to the long nap I this afternoon, I can't sleep now, so I'm posting this update in the middle of the night. I am having no other symptoms, so hopefully it will pass quickly.

And that's my report from the front lines.

BTW, I also have Kaiser. I've been receiving the same too-little-too-late emails and have heard the same statistic. I think they're trying to deflect that they've done a piss-poor job on the roll-out and in patient, er, "member" communication. OTOH, why should a giant HMO that serves 9.5 million people have to fight to get supplies of the vaccine?  It just shows how messed up our national distribution system is.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
This week so far my 84 year old dad in Iowa has gotten his first shot of the Moderna vaccine (no side effects to speak of), and a good friend in upstate NY got his first shot of the Pfizer vaccine with no side effects.  He is 57 and a university professor; his school made arrangements for the teachers to get it. 

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
My neighbor across the street got her first dose a week or two ago, she's 93. My MIL just got notified yesterday that she can get it, so she is scheduled to get hers this afternoon. She's nearly 76 and diabetic. My wife is a teacher and just got scheduled to get hers on the 15th through a pilot program with her school. All three of my kids and I have had COVID already. My oldest and youngest recovered fine, my middle daughter and I still have the rapid heartbeat and she has no sense of smell (oddly she can still taste). I'm used to being active (ultrarunner) and right now the best I can do is go for a walk. Even the simplest things make my heart rate spike into the 140s. My advice, get the vaccine as soon as you're able.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
my mom in FL (age 66) got hers today.
my wife in WA (age 41) will have her second one in a week.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
A massage therapist friend just got hers today (Massachusetts, she's in her 50s).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:01:45 AM by jrhampt »

By the River

• Bristles
My 84yo dad just got his second shot this morning.  (Louisiana).   No issues/side effects yet.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Slightly off topic, (related to comments upthread), but this list of Kaiser facilities that have been fined by OSHA pisses me off. Kaiser's 9.5 million patients deserve better than they're getting, and so does their staff.

"Here is the list of Cal-OSHA's citations levied against Kaiser in California in regards to coronavirus and workplace safety:

Kaiser San Leandro $87,500

Kaiser San Jose $87,375

Kaiser Oakland $78,300

Kaiser Antioch $56,000

Kaiser Santa Rosa $55,350

Kaiser Walnut Creek $45,000

Kaiser Redwood City $39,685

Kaiser Ontario $18,075

Kaiser San Francisco $16,400

Kaiser Santa Clara $11,200

Kaiser Lancaster $5,000

Kaiser Zion in San Diego $1,535"

You can buy a metric crap ton of PPE for $260,885.

And then there are the 60+ cases (including at least one fatality) caused by the ER nurse wearing a costume with a fan in it. I get that they were just trying to spread Christmas cheer, but FFS, what a total failure of common sense.

P.S. If you think this belongs somewhere else, ping me and I'll move it.

• Handlebar Stache
Got my second dose of Pfizer today, so far no major side effects.  I can feel it in my arm and every once in a while I think I might feel a chill.  I got my vaccine at my County’s health department with a 9:42 am appointment.  Appointment times are only used to meter flow through out the day.  At my first shot, one of the cities fire truck crews stopped by with their rigs to get their jabs, today it was a mix of people getting first and second shots from what I could overhear in line.  Between shot one and shot two the mega center for the region opened and it appears all the providers (3 hospital systems and the multiple county health departments) have gotten better organized with appointment coordination.  Yesterday the news reported that the city police had to provide traffic control for the mega center.

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I got my second dose of the Moderna shot on Thursday afternoon.  I was fine except for a sore arm for about the first six hours afterwards, but then I started experiencing chills and a headache, and not long after that I also started feeling extremely achy and nauseated and lightheaded, with a high fever.  That lasted all day yesterday, so I basically just slept all day and limited my food intake to Saltines and applesauce. When I woke up this morning, I felt perfectly fine again.  So, the side effects were unpleasant, but they only lasted for a day or so, and totally worth it to (hopefully) avoid experiencing COVID itself.

Other people I know who have gotten the vaccine: several healthcare workers; several teachers; someone who was a volunteer for the Pfizer vaccine trials and found out that he had received the placebo but could now get the real vaccine; some of my elderly aunts and uncles; and an 88-year-old man who lives in the nearby senior living center and occasionally stops to talk to me when we run into each other on our walks.

• Handlebar Stache
Went to my running group for the first time in months, we have sign ups and leave in waves per the States Covid Guidelines.  The group I happen to run with basically all have at least started the vaccine, the only “non eligible person,” volunteered for the J&J study.  She was s in the blind but since she’s furloughed from her job plans to volunteer at the mega vaccine clinic, once she becomes eligible for the other vaccines they will unblind her.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
First dose Pfizer vaccine yesterday, no side effects. Our county seems to be getting a decent supply now. There was a huge mass clinic this weekend for people who work in healthcare outside the hospital. They said they had enough to wrap up 1a and start 1b. And yes, I got a card.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 09:11:32 PM by Morning Glory »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Forgot to mention here that my dad got his second Pfizer dose this week. Only side effect was a sore arm again. My mom is supposed to get hers this week, I think on Friday. They got their first dose the same week, but hers is Moderna so there's an extra week between shots. She's nervous after last week's 18" of snow that her appointment will be postponed due to bad weather, but so far the end of the week looks ok.

I reached out to some friends in their 70s to see if they might need assistance with getting an appointment since they're not very internet-savvy, but I haven't heard anything back yet... probably none of my business, but I figured I'd offer just in case they were wishing they had help.

• Handlebar Stache
Forgot to mention here that my dad got his second Pfizer dose this week. Only side effect was a sore arm again. My mom is supposed to get hers this week, I think on Friday. They got their first dose the same week, but hers is Moderna so there's an extra week between shots. She's nervous after last week's 18" of snow that her appointment will be postponed due to bad weather, but so far the end of the week looks ok.

I reached out to some friends in their 70s to see if they might need assistance with getting an appointment since they're not very internet-savvy, but I haven't heard anything back yet... probably none of my business, but I figured I'd offer just in case they were wishing they had help.

Weather and shots were a story time this week, several centered closed for the day.  The story basically was, don’t worry, it’s Michigan we made plans for snow days.  I assume anyone ho was effected was already rescheduled. 

• Handlebar Stache

Weather and shots were a story time this week, several centered closed for the day.  The story basically was, don’t worry, it’s Michigan we made plans for snow days.  I assume anyone who was effected was already rescheduled.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
My 75-year old dad in Oregon is schedule to get his first shot next week. He's in a rehabilitation center following hip surgery. Hopefully my mom can get her shot soon as well. The people who were already in the center already got their first shot a few weeks ago before he arrived.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
The other day I was at the clinic and the vet was not available because she was getting her COVID vaccination. Yes I know they work with the public but are veterinarians considered health care workers?  It's possible she's over 65, it wasn't clear which vet and I don't know all of them. I found it odd.

Vets are considered doctors. And I've heard of vets "moonlighting" with Covid vaccination to get the rollout done faster.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Some states have them in early phases of the rollout along with other essential workers. I don’t know if any of them consider vets healthcare workers like those working with humans, though.

zygote

• Bristles
Vets were in the later stages of 1a after the human healthcare workers where I live.

I got dose 1 of Moderna on Saturday afternoon. Felt okay for the first few hours, but was achy by the time I went to bed. Woke up in the middle of the night with dizziness, chills, nausea, and sweating. The dizziness and nausea passed pretty quickly, but I continued to be achy and tired all day Sunday. And my arm really hurt. Woke up today feeling fine again, though my arm is still a little sore. It was more intense than any vaccine response I've ever had, but at least it only lasted 24-36 hours.

I did have covid in March last year. I'm negative for antibodies now, but it's possible that the past infection influenced the strength of the response. And I'd still take a day of feeling crappy over getting covid again.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Our state dept of health has good information on what each state means and which counties are currently in which phase. Have you checked that out for your state to see what info may be available?

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Mother in law got her first shot today!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
FLORIDA! I should have known

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
I got an email today from my department head about how they don't know how many doses they have left and they want everyone who just got the vaccine to answer a survey about whether they got it or not. SMH.

mrsnamemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My county in Florida has very clear standards and vaccine rollout is going very smoothly. Of course, the county is home of the flagship university and in other ways is a little less “Florida” than some places. My in-laws who live here (~70 yo ) have both gotten their first shot in a very easy process through the university health system, as have many friends in the medical school (despite not having patient contact). I’m teaching in-person at the uni and they’ve made it clear that as soon as the state loosens up restrictions the uni will hook us up quickly (right or wrong—I’d rather primary school teachers and other more vulnerable people go first, but I won’t refuse when they call my number).

Rhinodad

• Stubble
Got my second dose of Moderna on Sunday. By Monday afternoon felt body soreness like I've never felt before...like I played in the Super Bowl as an out of shape middle aged man. Lymph node in arm pit of injection arm is definitely swollen and tender still today, but body aches are gone as is the headache. I'd say I had quite the response, which I looked at as a good thing.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
I'm kind of upset that my 84 year old dad in NYC is having such difficulty locating a vaccine.  The situation in NYC is a shit show.  My dad isn't bad for an 84 year old with the internet but clicking repeatedly on multiple sites to find a vaccine is a bit much to expect of elderly people IMO.  I've been trying to help but it's difficult from so far away.  I just starting following this guy on Twitter but the appointments he posts are snapped up in minutes.  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/09/nyregion/vaccine-website-appointment-nyc.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
I'm kind of upset that my 84 year old dad in NYC is having such difficulty locating a vaccine.  The situation in NYC is a shit show.  My dad isn't bad for an 84 year old with the internet but clicking repeatedly on multiple sites to find a vaccine is a bit much to expect of elderly people IMO.  I've been trying to help but it's difficult from so far away.  I just starting following this guy on Twitter but the appointments he posts are snapped up in minutes.  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/09/nyregion/vaccine-website-appointment-nyc.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage
Same here in Colorado and I would suspect other states as well.

I am signed up on 12 different lists and each one requires a new account. Beyond that when it is your time they suggest checking the sites and calling all of the locations daily to find one that has an opening.

You would think that with the lead time someone (state, federal, private) would have come up with a simple system to get the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
I'm kind of upset that my 84 year old dad in NYC is having such difficulty locating a vaccine.  The situation in NYC is a shit show. 

It is a total shit show - really upsetting that they're prioritizing not-very-essential-workers over people most likely to be severe affected by COVID. What borough does he live in? I've been looking into it this week as my eligibility is starting soon and I'm about to join the hunger games... If I were 65+ or in the Bronx I would have had an appointment multiple times by now.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Had a friend *finally* get an appointment for a parent.  They had 11 devices--yes, 11!--doing with multiple users to try to get a decent spot in the queue, and finally they did.  Most of those 11 were in the thousands or tens of thousands but one was a low enough number that it got a spot.  She's in Massachusetts but I'm not sure where her parents are.   

Reminds me of trying to buy tickets online for a hot concert. 

rosarugosa

• Bristles
Had a friend *finally* get an appointment for a parent.  They had 11 devices--yes, 11!--doing with multiple users to try to get a decent spot in the queue, and finally they did.  Most of those 11 were in the thousands or tens of thousands but one was a low enough number that it got a spot.  She's in Massachusetts but I'm not sure where her parents are.   

Reminds me of trying to buy tickets online for a hot concert.

That is a great analogy!
I guess I really can't complain. We're taking my 86-year-old mother or her first shot today.  We are all in MA, and it took me about 1/2 hour to schedule the appointment online.  It was somewhat clunky and mildly annoying, but I've certainly dealt with worse.

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
got my 1st pfizer, sore arm for 2 days like someone slugged me in the shoulder.

that night felt super tired like i wanted to go to bed at 8pm.

other than that, all good. 2nd dose in 2 weeks

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
Got my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine on Saturday and it hit me hard. Alternating between extreme chills and sweats, major fatigue, soreness. It took me out for most of Saturday night into Sunday evening. I'm still a bit tired today but not too bad. Some coworkers that got the shot over the weekend had similar experiences.

There probably isn't really any way to know, but I wonder if the people that have the worst side effects from the vaccine are also the people that would have gotten the sickest if they'd actually gotten COVID.

I've wondered the same

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles

It's a week past my second dose of Moderna.   All has been fine, and I should now be 90%+ protected against COVID-19 from the mainstream variants in the U.S.

I might actually have to try eating out in a restaurant - I haven't done than since sometimes before March of last year!

Remember, you may still be a carrier if you pick it up while out and then bring it home, if you live with anyone not vaxxed. Also, you may be a carrier for the rest of the community.

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
Pretty sure you meant 100 million, not 100,000.

If we can’t go back to eating in restaurants or back to the gym or gathering with friends and family after getting vaccinated, then what is the path out of this lockdown we’ve been in for 11 months?

To allow time for herd immunity, wait and be patient

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
They're speeding up now and are at a current rate of around 1.5 million per day.  Even if we stay stuck at this pace and don't increase at all from here, that's an additional 135 million vaccinated over the next 3 months.  Currently we're at around 30 million, so that's about half the population.  How are you getting 2025?  That's wildly pessimistic and unrealistic.

Also, in the next couple of weeks the vaccine will be sent out to retail pharmacies.  Right now in my state there are only a few places where most people can get vaccinated, so being able to get it at CVS or something will make it more accessible as well.

I think your math is off. Remember for now the vaxxes are 2 dose shots. so, while 1.5m doses/day that's really only 750k people on avg a day fully vaxxed ;)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache

I might actually have to try eating out in a restaurant - I haven't done than since sometimes before March of last year!

Remember, you may still be a carrier if you pick it up while out and then bring it home, if you live with anyone not vaxxed. Also, you may be a carrier for the rest of the community.

Oh no, really?  My step mother is an anti-vaxxer unfortunately.  I finally managed to get an appointment for my dad in NYC (one of the Walgreen's sites on Vaccinelist for anyone in NYC) so I'm really happy about that.  But does that mean that my dad could bring the virus home to my unvaccinated step mother? 

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles

Oh no, really?  My step mother is an anti-vaxxer unfortunately.  I finally managed to get an appointment for my dad in NYC (one of the Walgreen's sites on Vaccinelist for anyone in NYC) so I'm really happy about that.  But does that mean that my dad could bring the virus home to my unvaccinated step mother?

Latest info is they are still unsure, so best to play it safe. That said, I want to say, and someone will have to fact check this, but the JnJ or Astrazenca has shown potential to not allow for the vaxxed to be spreaders. Again, that part will need to be fact checked.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache

Latest info is they are still unsure, so best to play it safe. That said, I want to say, and someone will have to fact check this, but the JnJ or Astrazenca has shown potential to not allow for the vaxxed to be spreaders. Again, that part will need to be fact checked.

Well, he's getting either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine in around 2 hours time so that may be a moot point for them.  I find anti-vaxxers infuriating but I still really hope that she doesn't get sick.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
They just changed the rules in MA. so that a "trusted friend or family member" accompanying their over 75 YO person to one of the large vaccination sites can get vaccinated too.  This just went into effect, so I was pleasantly surprised by being able to get my first shot yesterday when bringing my mom for her vaccination.  We got the Pfizer and my arm is a bit sore this morning, not unlike after a flu shot.  I haven't talked to my mom yet today, so not sure how she is doing.

• Handlebar Stache
Got my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine on Saturday and it hit me hard. Alternating between extreme chills and sweats, major fatigue, soreness. It took me out for most of Saturday night into Sunday evening. I'm still a bit tired today but not too bad. Some coworkers that got the shot over the weekend had similar experiences.

There probably isn't really any way to know, but I wonder if the people that have the worst side effects from the vaccine are also the people that would have gotten the sickest if they'd actually gotten COVID.

I've wondered the same

On the other hand, I’ve defiantly been exposed based on my job (was quarantined once but tested negative) and basically had minimal side effects for both shots.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
My young adult daughter (who qualifies for vaccine as an in person assistant teacher) said getting a vaccine appointment reminded her of when we tried to get Taylor Swift tickets.  Some sites in my state open up online registration at 6:00 a.m. but all the slots are filled by 6:01 so you have to be very quick on the computer.  As has been noted in the news, this is tough for many seniors.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 07:09:27 PM by Dee18 »

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
I was at the dentist this morning and my hygienist mentioned that they had all been vaccinated - half got their second shots last week and half today.

Rhinodad

• Stubble

This is accurate...as both JnJ and Astrazeneca have reported this. I believe the WHO says that the evidence is strongly suggesting that all of the vaccines currently approved are showing that they are preventing spread. Let's hope this to be accurate and sustaining. Also, the efficacy of the vaccinated has been 100% against severe illness (hospitalized) or death from COVID. Again, let's all hope this to be sustaining.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Ugh, my husband was just offered a chance to sign up for an appointment.  He works for a large university and is a professor.  He's not signing up.  This just feels shitty when we know people over 65 are still having a hard time getting an appt anywhere in our county, our healthcare provider is barely beginning to vaccinate actual patients (75 and older) and to our knowledge no *actual* essential workers (non-direct healthcare), like grocery store workers or school teachers, have had a chance to sign up.

I very much was onboard with the "shots in arms" philosophy that medical ethicists have been promoting, but this feels terrible.  I just hope that within the university system they work hard to give the shots first to actual essential workers and not professors that are WFH.  DH actually goes into work most days, by choice, and says basically the only time he ever sees another human is the once per week he has to go for a COVID test.  This just seems crazy.

charis

• Magnum Stache
I hate to say it but I don't think your husband turning down a shot will make it any easier for someone over 65 to get an appointment. At this point, I think we need to just vax as many people, and as quickly, as possible.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!