Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229583 times)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
I keep getting ads for (hiring) people to do vaccinations locally, so it must’ve really gearing up.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
So far...several friends and relatives in healthcare, then everyone (staff plus residents) in FIL’s long term care facility, and they must have moved on the first responders because a firefighter friend of ours just got his today.

Greenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A close family member is a travel nurse based primarily at John Hopkins.  She was scheduled to receive her first shot last week, but apparently they didn't have enough people trained in the specific vaccine protocols, so they got behind and she didn't get hers.   (How many qualified people must there be at Hopkins, of all places, who could step in to help with this?!)  So, since she's working at another hospital out of state for a few weeks, she is now hoping to get her first dose at the end of January.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
One problem, unfortunately, is that only certain people can administer medicine/vaccines by injection. Most of those people are tied up right now, caring for the surge in people needing medical attention. Or are sick themselves, like my friend who just came down with Covid for a second time.

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My wife who is an audiologist for three ear nose and throat doctors in a medical office building in Chicago suburbs attached to a hospital is finally getting the vaccine tomorrow.  She sees 50-60 patients per week, most for hearing tests but also several hearing aid consultations and fittings which can make close contact inevitable.   But it wasn’t through the hospital, they said initially they would only vaccinate hospital employees.  Then last Wednesday they changed their tune, and said private practices in hospital medical buildings could be vaccinated.  Her boss had her collect the email Addresses of staff members so the private practice could provide the vaccine candidate names directly to the hospital as a health care employer.  But the business manager is overworked, doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to sign staff up for vaccination, and said staff couldn’t get it until March, which was likely just to get my wife to stop asking what the office is doing to get employees vaccinated.

My wife also had tried calling the county, they had no answers until today they said you can sign up online for an appointment.  Neighboring counties have had such sign up for a month.

What finally worked was talking to her primary doctor, who said she is definitely Phase 1A, wrote her an order for the vaccine today and she is getting it tomorrow.  She will be getting it from the same hospital network my brother in law works for as an accountant working remotely.  Apparently they had an excess of the vaccine and were able to vaccinate administrative staff working remotely.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:41:18 PM by HuskiesUnited »

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sadly, the number of health care workers taking the vaccine is not as high as hoped.  I suppose that is good news for those of us who want the vaccine and are farther back in line.  At my wife’s ear nose and throat office, there are 4 physicians at the site, three of the four received the vaccine from the hospital.  The fourth physician is a right wing conspiracy theorist, doesn’t wear a mask, etc.  He is an excellent physician and the best of the four however.  There are seven staff members at the site my wife works ... these are CNAs and front office staff who check patients in, etc.  only 1-2 of the 6 will get the vaccine.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Sadly, the number of health care workers taking the vaccine is not as high as hoped.  I suppose that is good news for those of us who want the vaccine and are farther back in line.  At my wife’s ear nose and throat office, there are 4 physicians at the site, three of the four received the vaccine from the hospital.  The fourth physician is a right wing conspiracy theorist, doesn’t wear a mask, etc.  He is an excellent physician and the best of the four however. There are seven staff members at the site my wife works ... these are CNAs and front office staff who check patients in, etc.  only 1-2 of the 6 will get the vaccine.

These two statements cannot coexist in my definition of an "excellent physician."

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
wondering if I'll be able to get the shot at my DoD workplace.

DoD does have like 250,000 doses with only 70,000 administered according to the Bloomberg vaccine tracker as I write this.

I work for big defense contractor and am wondering if we will get it on site also.  We do have two nurses on site.  I am not sure if we would go towards the end of Phase 1B or be in phase 1C.  Some can work remotely but some, including me, have to work on site in small rooms that are the only places certain work can be done, and social distancing can be difficult.  Seems at an one time the last couple months  there are a number of employees in quarantine as a close contact, waiting a test result, or after a positive test.

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sadly, the number of health care workers taking the vaccine is not as high as hoped.  I suppose that is good news for those of us who want the vaccine and are farther back in line.  At my wife’s ear nose and throat office, there are 4 physicians at the site, three of the four received the vaccine from the hospital.  The fourth physician is a right wing conspiracy theorist, doesn’t wear a mask, etc.  He is an excellent physician and the best of the four however. There are seven staff members at the site my wife works ... these are CNAs and front office staff who check patients in, etc.  only 1-2 of the 6 will get the vaccine.

These two statements cannot coexist in my definition of an "excellent physician."

It blows my mind as well.  If I needed an ear, nose, or throat surgery he would be the one I went to.  Maybe “skilled” is a better word than “excellent”

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
According to Bloomberg vaccine Tracker  https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/
at the time I write this 4.7 million doses administered and 15.4 million doses distributed to states.  Seems there is some struggle to administer the released doses.  And supposedly second doses are being held in reserve and haven’t even been released yet.

Maybe some of it is a slow ramp up since the shipments began just before Christmas.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 09:26:48 PM by HuskiesUnited »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
One problem, unfortunately, is that only certain people can administer medicine/vaccines by injection. Most of those people are tied up right now, caring for the surge in people needing medical attention. Or are sick themselves, like my friend who just came down with Covid for a second time.

We will be using EMTs.  And really, a veterinarian or vet tech could do it with some training, they know already how to do injections.  It's just getting the exact spot in the deltoid that needs the training.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

We will be using EMTs.  And really, a veterinarian or vet tech could do it with some training, they know already how to do injections.  It's just getting the exact spot in the deltoid that needs the training.

Is it really a difficult needle to figure out, or could any heroin user do it in a couple minutes?

erutio

• Pencil Stache

Is it really a difficult needle to figure out, or could any heroin user do it in a couple minutes?

Actually, it's a lot easier than shooting heroin!  You have to find a vein for heroin, but for these vaccines you only need to hit muscle.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
My wife just received her first dose of the vaccine and she’ll get her second dose in a few weeks. I’m on the waiting list for the vaccine right now. I have no idea when I’m going to get it.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache

Our EMTs are busy. Animal people can’t legally do human stuff in this area, but to be fair, I agree that they could easily translate their skills.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Oh boy, do I have a story for this thread. I volunteer at a thrift shop that is affiliated with a major trauma center hospital. The hospital is excellent at communicating with their volunteers and IMO, go out of their way to be supportive, like offering free flu shots every year, whether your healthcare is through them or not.

Right before Christmas, they sent out an email saying "Starting today, we are able to schedule volunteers currently volunteering in the hospitals."...please call for an appointment...

Another thrift shop volunteer who was at home when she got the email decided (on her own) to call anyway and see if she could get the vaccine. Someone accommodated her request, gave her an appointment and she was given the vaccine. Later, she went to the thrift shop for an after hours work party and told the others she'd gotten it.

The volunteer manager (the paid staff manager was on vacation) then called the hospital and asked if the rest of that day's  volunteer group (12-15 people) could receive vaccines. She explained that many of the (OFF SITE) thrift shop volunteers were elderly, and they were working with a skeleton crew because only about 50% of the volunteer team returned after the five month shutdown, blah, blah, blah... After some discussion, the answer was affirmative, so one by one, they passed around the phone (masked, but still, stoopid, IMO) and made appointments for later that day. When they finished their work, each of them got in their cars, drove to the hospital and received the vaccine.

After that, someone at the hospital rightly decided to put their foot down, and now they have reiterated what they shouldn't have had to: Vaccines are for in-hospital volunteers before off-site, non health care related volunteers. We will get them, but we have to wait. Which is how it damn well should be.

I am absolutely appalled that this happened. The first person (aka trigger person) is relatively younger (about my age, I'd guess), has no underlying health conditions, and belongs to a totally different healthcare organization! For her to have pushed her way to the head of the line is unconscionable. That the others followed suit bothers me slightly less, because they are, in fact, older, but still... There is no way I would insert myself into the line ahead of schedule, especially as the hospital had clearly indicated that we would be eligible to receive the vaccine at a slightly later date.

FFS, someone who does much more important work than any of us do could fricking die, because they got pushed back even one slot in the waiting line. I am so pissed at the trigger person I can hardly stand it.

Thank you for giving me a safe, anonymous place to rant. And if you're somehow able to recognize the source of this story because you're affiliated with this facility, bless you for the work you do. I am so, so sorry this happened. You should not have to be making decisions like this. Alas, I am sure people all over the country are clamoring to cut the line, because they are so "special". OMG, I just can't even imagine what it's like for you.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

Our EMTs are busy. Animal people can’t legally do human stuff in this area, but to be fair, I agree that they could easily translate their skills.

Our EMTs will be going into nursing homes on top of regular duties, it's not for vaccination clinics afaik.  Legally animal people can't do human stuff here either.  But they do know how to get a vaccine from the vial properly, which is the harder part of giving a vaccine safely.  I doubt they wil be asked to, though, I was just musing.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Of the five medical people we are close to, four have received shot 1 (3 Moderna, 1 Pfizer), and the fifth will get her first shot tomorrow.  So from that perspective, it seems to be going well.  Folks reported some mild discomfort for 24 hours, but nothing beyond that.  Our state, however, seems to be having some trouble rolling the vaccine out quickly, with only about 30% of the available doses actually injected so far.  Of course, if everyone requires two doses, then they've actually injected 60% of the first doses, holding the second dose in reserve for those same people, but apparently reporters aren't trained in math...

Anyhow, if 40% of the available vaccines have not been given/allocated yet, then I don't have a problem with people stepping up to be vaccinnated, even if maybe they would not otherwise be in the very first group.  Yes, the vaccine should go to medical workers (direct contact, nurses, EMTs, doctors), public safety (fire, police, defense), at-risk (nursing homes, elderly), teachers, critical industries (food, etc.) in roughly that order.  But I'm not going to be too concerned about a few opportunitists on the periphery of these groups stepping up to get their shot.  I'm more concerned about the rich celebrity or financier or executive or whatever trying to buy or bribe their way to the front of the line when they can simply work remotely for 3 to 6 more months until their turn roles around.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Well, this is an interesting turn of events. I just got an email saying the vaccine was now available for ALL active volunteers. Huh. I wonder if fewer medical professionals are getting the vaccine than expected. I threw my hat in the ring, and we'll see what happens.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Well, this is an interesting turn of events. I just got an email saying the vaccine was now available for ALL active volunteers. Huh. I wonder if fewer medical professionals are getting the vaccine than expected. I threw my hat in the ring, and we'll see what happens.

Perhaps it's also something to do with just speeding up getting it out the door.  I've read a lot about how dithering too much on who should get it in what order to try to prioritize saving lives correctly....actually can take more time and result in more lost lives.  So that doing a less perfect job of allocating the doses can be a net benefit in the end.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache

Perhaps it's also something to do with just speeding up getting it out the door.  I've read a lot about how dithering too much on who should get it in what order to try to prioritize saving lives correctly....actually can take more time and result in more lost lives.  So that doing a less perfect job of allocating the doses can be a net benefit in the end.

@Dicey Let's hope that it's because they got additional shipments and now have enough stock for everyone interested. Please do let us know how it turns out.

• Stubble
My sister got hers last week. She's a vet so she was surprised to get the email to sign up for a slot, but she jumped on it since there was a recent outbreak at her hospital. I think she even got the vaccine the same day she received the email. But then a few days later it turned out the Connecticut health dept had made a mistake and she shouldn't have been eligible. I have no idea what that means for her booster.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache

Yes! An article I read later today said exactly this about our state. Trying to be too accurate in prioritizing vaccine delivery is actually slowing the whole process down. An example of perfection being the enemy of the good?

Abe

• Magnum Stache
In general, due to the concern for spread of the more contagious variant in the US, there's a strong push to vaccinate as many high-risk (of death) people as possible to mitigate the expected wave of infections heading our way. The underlying assumption is the new variant is not more likely to cause death, but is more likely to be contracted due to various mutations in the proteins that bind to our cells. The allocation algorithms are still being used but we are getting through the 1A, 1B categories faster than anticipated in most locations. The time period for preferential access for those categories has ended, and the general high-risk population will be able to receive vaccines. This is highly location-dependent.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog

Yes! An article I read later today said exactly this about our state. Trying to be too accurate in prioritizing vaccine delivery is actually slowing the whole process down. An example of perfection being the enemy of the good?

DC seems to understand this. Some random guy at a supermarket got the vaccine right before closing because some first responders failed to show up for their appointments and the vaccine would have gone bad otherwise. That's apparently exactly what the DC health department told them to do. https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/01/04/this-guy-went-to-get-groceries-and-ended-up-getting-the-covid-vaccine/

Once unfrozen, the vaccine doses only last a few hours before they expire. The District’s health department doesn’t want any doses wasted. If a vaccine provider can’t line up a healthcare worker or first responder to receive an unused dose at the last minute, then city guidelines call for the shot to be given to anyone who happens to be in the vicinity

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache

DC seems to understand this. Some random guy at a supermarket got the vaccine right before closing because some first responders failed to show up for their appointments and the vaccine would have gone bad otherwise. That's apparently exactly what the DC health department told them to do. https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/01/04/this-guy-went-to-get-groceries-and-ended-up-getting-the-covid-vaccine/

Once unfrozen, the vaccine doses only last a few hours before they expire. The District’s health department doesn’t want any doses wasted. If a vaccine provider can’t line up a healthcare worker or first responder to receive an unused dose at the last minute, then city guidelines call for the shot to be given to anyone who happens to be in the vicinity

That's one lottery I would love to win.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian

That's one lottery I would love to win.
Could you tilt the odds by hanging out at the places giving the shots at the end of the day? Just wondering. Kind of like those people who used to book flights at peak times just so they could get bumped used to do.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Could you tilt the odds by hanging out at the places giving the shots at the end of the day? Just wondering. Kind of like those people who used to book flights at peak times just so they could get bumped used to do.

Yeah, I heard that someone (who works with my dad at the hospital and also happens to live upstairs from me) got vaccinated because he went in to his lab to work late on Sunday. When they had an extra, he was one of the few staff around at the hospital who hadn't been vaccinated already since he's in research and not patient-facing. Just luck because COVID restrictions mean not everyone can be at the lab at the same time, so they're spreading their work out to evenings and weekends to maximize work time. He got stuck with the unpopular Sunday night slot and bam, vaccine.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
My sister got sick w/ Covid the day she was supposed to get her vaccination. I asked her what happens with her status now and she said she is moved to the last group now. 

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
My sister got sick w/ Covid the day she was supposed to get her vaccination. I asked her what happens with her status now and she said she is moved to the last group now. 

That blows. Hope she makes a full recovery soon.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
I have a number of neighbors in health care that have already gotten their shots. My FIL (over 70) is scheduled to get his this weekend.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
All of my Facebook friends. I'm getting vaccine fomo lol.

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
On Saturday, my 49yo Optometrist friend who visits nursing homes to provide exams, drove to Baltimore from PA to get the first dose at one of the nursing homes that she services.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
@Morning Glory I hope you can get yours soon! It was very cathartic to get that first dose. Not over yet, but at least I can see that there’s a path out eventually.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
@Morning Glory I hope you can get yours soon! It was very cathartic to get that first dose. Not over yet, but at least I can see that there’s a path out eventually.
Thank you!!!
I'm 1b now instead of 1a. My state hasn't gotten to all the 1a people yet. My university doesn't even have a timeframe yet.  I am grateful that my mom and my friends have gotten theirs.

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I got vaccinated on Tuesday!  I've been a volunteer at a Utah hospital for several years, although the volunteer services have been suspended since March.  In December, all hospital volunteers were told (quite sensibly) that only employees would be eligible for the vaccine, at least at first.  But I got a group text this Tuesday at about 3 pm saying that any volunteers who wanted the vaccine could show up at the hospital to get vaccinated that afternoon only.  Hopefully this was because the hospital received a bigger shipment than they expected, not because healthcare workers were turning the vaccine down.  Either way, it's a great personal relief to get the vaccine.  I feel a little bad about getting the vaccine before people who need it more, but I didn't think it would help anyone for me to decline a vaccine that needs to be used within a short period of time.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache

I'm over 2 weeks in since getting Moderna.  I haven't had any side effects, beyond the early arm soreness mentioned shortly after the vaccination.  2 more weeks to go until I get my second shot.

Co-workers who got the Pfizer vaccination a week before me are already getting their second doses.

goatmom

• Bristles
I got my first shot yesterday.  DH getting his second next week.  I got Moderna - he got Pfizer.  My daughter told me that at her workplace they are offering $500 to get the vaccine because so many people are not getting it.  Hard to understand.  Hope you all will be getting it soon.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
I’m over two weeks since our family got Covid - the disease, not the virus.
Day 1: DW loses her sense of smell after feeling crappy for a couple of days, goes to urgent care, tests positive.
Day 2: DW stays in bed feeling terrible and wonders if she’s going to die, misses Christmas Eve with our young children who are probably also worried.
Day 3: repeat day 2 except missing Christmas.
Day 4: DW still feels awful, DD2 starts showing symptoms.
Day 5: DW starts to feel better, DD2 feels worse, hospital won’t test DD2, I test negative so we know I didn’t bring it in.
Day 6: DW gets out of bed for more than 15 minutes, DD2 stays in bed.
Day 7: DD1 starts to show symptoms
Day 8: I start to have symptoms.
Day 9: DD1 and I lose our sense of smell, nose burns like an atomic explosion (DD’s description), sore throat.
Day 10: DW tries to catch up on her job which has been completely left alone for a week.
Day 11: mid-afternoon, I crash - go to bed, DW brings me dinner in bed, crippling body aches, stay in bed until...
Day 12: ...noon. Body aches all day, no sense of smell, fatigue sets in.
Day 13: Body aches are terrible over night and I’m the morning. I try to work through the fog a bit in the morning, but in the afternoon, DD1 and I go get tested. We both test positive.
Day 14: I sleep until 11:30. Body aches still bad. Join some work meetings in the afternoon. I think I’m feeling better. But this tingling over every surface of my body is strange.
Day 15: I feel worse. Paying a couple of bills wipes me out. Fatigue and mental fog are terrible. Body aches are subsiding. Congestion and cough begin.
Day 16: Wake up hopeful. Tired, foggy, and a headache. Headache gets worse to the point that I’m curled in the fetal position after taking Tylenol and Advil.

And that’s where we are now. DW still has no taste or smell after two weeks. DD1 and I have no smell. I have no idea if I’m going to be functional tomorrow or not.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the vaccine side effects.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
Yesterday my employer offered me the opportunity to receive the vaccine next week. Apparently we are considered Phase 1b essential workers as defined by the State of MI. Today I will let my employer know that I elect not to receive the vaccine at this time.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
My old hometown health system in NC just announced they'll start offering it to anyone over 75 on Monday.  Here in central PA its still just healthcare workers that I know of.  I assume they've already gotten it into more assisted living homes but I haven't really heard any confirmation of that yet beyond the one of ours that got hit really really hard last month.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
Saw on Facebook today a couple people I know received the vaccine ... a nurse in operating room at hospital in medium sized Illinois metropolitan area.  Another is a PA at a hospital in Chicago received it today.

Then found out of a couple more.  A friend’s fiancé who works directly for suburban Chicago hospital who is a psychologist seeing patients remotely was able to get it today, and my brother in law who is an accountant working for the same hospital remotely is able to get it tomorrow.  Apparently the hospital vaccinated all front line doctors and nurses, had vaccine leftover, and began vaccinating staff working remotely. 

Seems like this isn’t really how it’s supposed to go with vaccine in such short supply.  Seems the hospital should have been able to find other health care workers within their provider networks, or someone closer to the top of the priority list rather than vaccinating employees working remotely.  I guess it’s good to work for a hospital with the privilege of receiving the first vaccine. 

And perhaps a bit disappointing, it’s probably those who turned down the opportunity to get the vaccine that made the excess vaccine possible.  Which will make herd immunity harder to achieve, but allow those of us further down the list to have our turn in line come sooner.

Were the employees always remote or are they working remotely due to the pandemic? My wife was forced to work remotely and that cut her hours in half so we lost 25% of our income. Now that she's been vaccinated, she is allowed to return to facilities in person and her billable hours have increased. It's important to remember that a lot of people in the medical field -- and in a lot of other fields -- have been unable to assist patients and the public because they haven't been vaccinated and they are actually more of a priority than we first realize.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
I got part 1 of the Pfizer shot yesterday at work.  I am in category 1B, essential and cannot work from home.  I hate needles, have a sore arm today, and a higher body temperature than I normally do but it felt very good to be vaccinated and to see a light at the end of this tunnel.  Here is hoping that many more people across the land get vaccinated shortly. 

American GenX

• Pencil Stache

If you had COVID, you had the virus - SARS-Cov-2 (novel coronavirus).

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
My wife received the vaccine two weeks ago, she's a hospital employee.  The vaccine she got was the Moderna vaccine, day 1 was fine, day 2 involved a lot of muscle and joint stiffness, day 3 was back to normal.  She had COVID previously, somehow the kids and myself didn't get it (we were all tested). 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache

If you had COVID, you had the virus - SARS-Cov-2 (novel coronavirus).

While it totally sucked, it is kind of a relief to have it, get past it, and be able to go out again (with masks yada yada...) without worrying about bringing it home.  Still, we will still get vaccinated when we're eligible.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Okay, I just got an appointment for Tuesday. Booster to happen three weeks later.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
My dd, vaccinated Wednesday, says she feels fine. No different than getting a flu shot...

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
SIL got shot #2.  She is feeling a little tired and achy.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
I got part 1 of the Pfizer shot yesterday at work.  I am in category 1B, essential and cannot work from home.  I hate needles, have a sore arm today, and a higher body temperature than I normally do but it felt very good to be vaccinated and to see a light at the end of this tunnel.  Here is hoping that many more people across the land get vaccinated shortly.

Additionally I had some kooky dreams--I was climbing a mountain for example. :)  Trippy :)