Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229569 times)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
My wife gets Modern #2 today. Hopefully it doesn't hit her as hard as me. I was pretty wiped out most of the day I got the shot through the next day. The day after that I was perfectly fine though.

She's suffering pretty much the same effects I did. Headache, body aches, fever and chills and trouble sleeping the night after she got the shot - plus a very sore arm. She finally took a couple of Tylenol this afternoon and is starting to feel better - though still tired from only getting about three hours of sleep last night.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
i'm finally signed up for tuesday next week. it's felt like forever, but sounds like the floodgates have opened nationwide, by and large. hopefully we are able to get to 70-80% vaccinated + covid cases.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
Hubby and I have our 1st Moderna dose down. Extremely sore arm on 2nd day for both of us and then nothing. My mother on the other hand is currently suffering with flu like symptoms on her 2nd day after 1st Moderna dose. I almost guarantee she had covid before thanks to her having a retail job. She was sick 3 times last fall. Hopefully that means her second shot will be less rough on her.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
Our Prime Minister just got his Astra-Zeneca shot now that his age group is eligible.
https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/justin-trudeau-gets-his-first-astrazeneca-covid-19-shot/
So did his wife
https://www.straight.com/covid-19.pandemic/living/justin-trudeau-and-wife-sophie-receive-astrazeneca-vaccine-in-wake-of-damning-newspaper-story

Well, yeah.  He's older.  The older you are, the more sense it makes to take AZ.

It doesn't seem like comparing "serious harm from vaccines" (which is defined how, exactly?) to "ICU admissions from COVID" is apples to apples, since you're then missing the increasing evidence of long-term complications from COVID, including for young people, that doesn't result in an ICU visit.

I've not seen any hard statistics for the various covid long-haul complications that are reported, but ending up in the ICU is not the only potential long-term harm from covid.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
With no real long term studies of the disease, I am personally covid hesitant.  I will wait for some more data about long term effects before  I decide to get infected.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

Our Prime Minister just got his Astra-Zeneca shot now that his age group is eligible.
https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/justin-trudeau-gets-his-first-astrazeneca-covid-19-shot/
So did his wife
https://www.straight.com/covid-19.pandemic/living/justin-trudeau-and-wife-sophie-receive-astrazeneca-vaccine-in-wake-of-damning-newspaper-story

Well, yeah.  He's older.  The older you are, the more sense it makes to take AZ.
It doesn't seem like comparing "serious harm from vaccines" (which is defined how, exactly?) to "ICU admissions from COVID" is apples to apples, since you're then missing the increasing evidence of long-term complications from COVID, including for young people, that doesn't result in an ICU visit.

I've not seen any hard statistics for the various covid long-haul complications that are reported, but ending up in the ICU is not the only potential long-term harm from covid.
Here is a recently published study that includes analysis of a very large group of non-hospitalized covid patients.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
With no real long term studies of the disease, I am personally covid hesitant.  I will wait for some more data about long term effects before  I decide to get infected.

Seriously! Almost everyone I know is vaccinated by now and there have been no side effects other than "didn't feel well for a couple of days" with fever/aches/etc. I can't imagine I'll run into any of the 1 in a million J&J side effect folks.

Side effects from COVID infections? Well, H. died back in April 2020. E. has been in the hospital for many weeks, is currently on a ventilator after they tried to repair the damage to his heart, and his liver has failed. He was one of those "mild" cases that didn't have to be hospitalized when he first got sick, but it damaged his organs and ended up in the hospital three months later. He will probably not live through the week. One of my closest friends, A., appears to have a permanent disability as she is still unwell 13 months after infection. My good friend R. was hospitalized for a month, nearly died, and is not back to 100%. Several other friends became quite ill with high fevers, difficulty breathing, and weeks of illness including pneumonia. Many of my friends lost family members and close friends.

It's not really a tough choice for me between a vaccine designed by some of our best scientists to save millions of lives and vast amounts of suffering, vs. a virulent disease bred in a bunch of filthy fucking bats. (I know, I know, #notallbats)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

Seriously! Almost everyone I know is vaccinated by now and there have been no side effects other than "didn't feel well for a couple of days" with fever/aches/etc. I can't imagine I'll run into any of the 1 in a million J&J side effect folks.

Side effects from COVID infections? Well, H. died back in April 2020. E. has been in the hospital for many weeks, is currently on a ventilator after they tried to repair the damage to his heart, and his liver has failed. He was one of those "mild" cases that didn't have to be hospitalized when he first got sick, but it damaged his organs and ended up in the hospital three months later. He will probably not live through the week. One of my closest friends, A., appears to have a permanent disability as she is still unwell 13 months after infection. My good friend R. was hospitalized for a month, nearly died, and is not back to 100%. Several other friends became quite ill with high fevers, difficulty breathing, and weeks of illness including pneumonia. Many of my friends lost family members and close friends.

It's not really a tough choice for me between a vaccine designed by some of our best scientists to save millions of lives and vast amounts of suffering, vs. a virulent disease bred in a bunch of filthy fucking bats. (I know, I know, #notallbats)

Not to mention all the young and healthy pregnant women now in our ICUs because of Covid.  At least one baby delivered by C-section because the mother was intubated.  Pregnant women have been moved to high priority in Ontario. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

I’m so sorry. And I agree completely.

We lost my city’s mayor and the county sheriff to COVID in December, same month as my 42-year-old former classmate died of COVID. My friend’s husband (mid-40s, healthy, active) had it and was bedridden for 3 weeks. My young colleague (early 30s, healthy, active) was so violently ill with it that she passed out at home (she lives alone); she was then unable to work for about a week (remotely). Two of my mom’s younger coworkers (mid-30s) also had it, became quite sick, and were out for 3 weeks. Her boss (mid-60s) was out for 5 or 6 weeks, nearly died, and is now battling long-term symptoms. He was previously quite fit and active and a bit of a workaholic, but now he’s having to recover his lung capacity and the loss of quite a bit of body weight. I just found out that a high school friend lost her mom to COVID. Our local hospitals are at capacity.

I’ll take the vaccine, please and thank you. I know multiple dozens of people who’ve received both doses with no worse effects than 48 hours of discomfort.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
So did his wife

The 'serious harm from vaccine (singular - that chart is just for the Astra Zeneca, which is the only one available for me in the next few months at least)' was defined as 'a problem leading to hospitalization or death'.

FWIW, I'd also like to see more information on the long term complications due to covid too.  We know that some people get them (including younger folks).  There doesn't seem to be any incidence of long term complications from the vaccines (although, we haven't had enough time to test conclusively).  These long term complications are part of the reason I was willing to vaccinate, even though the risks from it only outweigh the risks from getting Covid at a little over 4:1 for my age group, and I'm capable of keeping myself effectively isolated from others right now.

In Ontario our medical examiner is expecting blood clots caused by the AZ vaccine to be between 1 in 100,000 and 1 in 250,000.  (If you're under 50 years old, the incidence is higher - between 1 in 50,000 and 1 in 100,000.)  40% of the people who get these blood clots are expected to die from them and of those who survive there is a high likelihood of permeant neurological damage.  Getting a stroke is not minor problem, and this vaccine causes strokes.  There is ample and valid reason for concern here.

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
The 'serious harm from vaccine (singular - that chart is just for the Astra Zeneca, which is the only one available for me in the next few months at least)' was defined as 'a problem leading to hospitalization or death'.
Right, so shouldn't it be compared to the rate of problems that lead to hospitalization or death from an infection, rather than the rate of ICU admission? In canada the rate of hospitalization for the 30-39 crowd is about 6 times as high as the rate of ICU admissions (3421 vs 542), and in the 20-29 crowd the it's a factor of 7 (2041 vs 278). For the 40-49 crowd it drops to a factor of 5.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Right, so shouldn't it be compared to the rate of problems that lead to hospitalization or death from an infection, rather than the rate of ICU admission? In canada the rate of hospitalization for the 30-39 crowd is about 6 times as high as the rate of ICU admissions (3421 vs 542), and in the 20-29 crowd the it's a factor of 7 (2041 vs 278). For the 40-49 crowd it drops to a factor of 5.

Maybe?  That would make me feel better about my choice to get vaccinated.  But the only reason that it seems anyone is hospitalized due to AZ is the rare blood clots - other symptoms are all very mild (fever, headache, etc.).  With blood clots there's no such thing as a non-critical admission.  Chance of death or neurological damage is very high.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
GuitarStv

Why do you only have the one (AZ) available to you? Not familiar with how Canada is doing the rollout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

Maybe?  That would make me feel better about my choice to get vaccinated.  But the only reason that it seems anyone is hospitalized due to AZ is the rare blood clots - other symptoms are all very mild (fever, headache, etc.).  With blood clots there's no such thing as a non-critical admission.  Chance of death or neurological damage is very high.
Having a "mild" case of covid is associated with an excess incidence of pulmonary embolism in 0.2-0.3% of patients in the 6 months following recovery (though not sure about the age dependency of that risk) so I think you are better off with the 1:100,000(?) risk with the vax. And isn't it the case the clotting issues identified so far are more prevalent in younger women?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

Having a "mild" case of covid is associated with an excess incidence of pulmonary embolism in 0.2-0.3% of patients in the 6 months following recovery (though not sure about the age dependency of that risk) so I think you are better off with the 1:100,000(?) risk with the vax. And isn't it the case the clotting issues identified so far are more prevalent in younger women?

I'd also love to see the data on how many of the young women were using hormonal contraceptives, which carry an inherent risk of clotting disorder. It's a major adverse effect highlighted in all of the drug info.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
DH had his first dose of Moderna last Friday.  He was hit with full body muscle aches starting about 6 hours after, and tiredness for a day after.

Got my first dose today, also Moderna.  So far, soreness at the injection site but not too bad.  Will update in a few days if it gets worse.

Did DH get COVID at any point?  Just curious about these hypotheses / anecdotes that the first dose is hard for people that had COVID and the second dose can be worse for people that didn't.

I should have two more anecdotes for you soon.  DH and I got COVID in February, and we're about to go get the Moderna vaccine.

So....  The side effects of the vaccine hit me pretty hard.  I got it on Friday at 6.  Saturday I woke up feeling like somebody had punched me hard in the arm, but normal otherwise.  Then after lunch I started feeling not so great.  The rest of the day I was dizzy and had the chills.  Then this morning I woke up with a splitting headache and really dizzy when I stood up.  I spent most of the day in bed.  I'm mostly better now, but still kind of lethargic and a little dizzy when I stand up.  DH on the other hand was a little bit tired with a sore arm, but just fine otherwise. 

Channel-Z

• Stubble
I received my second Pfizer dose on Saturday at 10:00. By 6:00, I felt like a slug, with some noticeable body aches. I could barely lift my arm above my shoulder. Sunday morning, I still felt lethargic, with occasional chills. Now, Sunday night at 8:30, I feel better. I intend to go to work Monday.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
I received my second Pfizer dose on Saturday at 10:00. By 6:00, I felt like a slug, with some noticeable body aches. I could barely lift my arm above my shoulder. Sunday morning, I still felt lethargic, with occasional chills. Now, Sunday night at 8:30, I feel better. I intend to go to work Monday.

Did you have COVID at some point?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
GuitarStv

Why do you only have the one (AZ) available to you? Not familiar with how Canada is doing the rollout.

We've been having trouble giving out the second class AZ vaccine, and are saving the mRNA ones for older people.  My province just opened vaccination (AZ only) to people born in '81 or later a couple days ago.

Vaccine roll-out has been pretty slow.  We have limited supplies of all vaccines, so there's little to no choice (other than don't vaccinate and hope that at some point in the future you'll have the vaccine you want available).  Meanwhile we have recorded every type of covid variant here in Ontario (thank you total lack of restriction on world travel for pleasure!), hospitals are overloaded, and things are generally pretty shitty.

It's done now though, hopefully my wife and I will not come to regret our decision.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
GuitarStv

We've been having trouble giving out the second class AZ vaccine, and are saving the mRNA ones for older people.  My province just opened vaccination (AZ only) to people born in '81 or later a couple days ago.

Vaccine roll-out has been pretty slow.  We have limited supplies of all vaccines, so there's little to no choice (other than don't vaccinate and hope that at some point in the future you'll have the vaccine you want available).  Meanwhile we have recorded every type of covid variant here in Ontario (thank you total lack of restriction on world travel for pleasure!), hospitals are overloaded, and things are generally pretty shitty.

It's done now though, hopefully my wife and I will not come to regret our decision.
Thanks for the explanation.

Happy for you both being able to get your vaccine, wish you had more availability up there but I think in the end you did the right thing all things considered.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
My SO was talking with a friend of his yesterday that has been very paranoid about getting COVID.  My SO asked him if he'd gotten vaccinated yet because he's been eligible for several weeks.  The friend said he hadn't because he couldn't afford to get sick from it.  He's a small business owner and currently runs his shop by himself.  My SO pointed out how ridiculous it was to fear getting sick for a day or 2 from the vaccine when you could be much worse off getting the disease.  Fear has amazing effects on otherwise intelligent and logical people.  We're hoping my SO's arguments sunk in and he'll get it.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Just got an email and text message from the state health department letting me know I could sign up for a Moderna vaccine on a first-come first-serve basis. I got my second shot a few weeks ago so it's a moot point, but I guess that means they're getting down into healthy 30-somethings.

9patch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Earth Jubilee
I don't even understand why this chart has ICU admissions vs serious harm. The risk of blood clots when you get covid disease naturally is 10X higher than the risk of blood clots when getting the AZ vaccine. You need to compare apples to apples.

I had a sore arm both for my first and second dose of Moderna. I didn't feel feverish at all.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
Got my second dose of Pfizer on Sat at 2pm. Apart from a sore arm, I've not felt anything more than my normal chronic neck ache.

Channel-Z

• Stubble

Did you have COVID at some point?

I have never been tested for COVID-19, so I don't know. My post-vaccination symptoms weren't severe. I didn't even pop the Tylenol I bought.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:17:02 PM by Channel-Z »

Blackeagle

• Bristles
After my second Pfizer dose I had muscle aches for about half a day, followed by a couple days of general stiffness.  No fever or chills.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
We're already at the "appointments going unused" stage here in UT. Not good... lots of people apparently don't want the vaccine here.

-W

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
Got my second shot last week.  Aside from generally feeling 'off' starting about 6 hours after the shot, I had arm soreness, general body aches, low energy, and a nasty headache that kept coming back but was treatable with OTC medication.  Lasted for less than a day overall.  I took a sick day on the day after the shot, but probably could've worked with steady staggered doses of Tylenol/Advil if it had been critical.  Given that it was my first sick day in over 18 months, I didn't feel the least bit bad in taking it. 

My wife got her second shot over the weekend and had even fewer side effects than I did. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
We're already at the "appointments going unused" stage here in UT. Not good... lots of people apparently don't want the vaccine here.

-W

I had my first shot scheduled for Saturday, and they asked me and DH to come in on Friday.  We were the only two appointments on Saturday, and they didn't want to waste the other doses in the vial.  And we're in the state that's dead last for vaccinations. 

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
DH & I received 2nd dose of Moderna earlier today. Very relieved we’re so close to being in the clear.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
i got my first shot the other day, Pfizer, i got a headache from it the same day, and still have it today

my wife got her 2nd shot on sunday and felt rough for monday but is fine now

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Blood clots caused by the AZ vaccine so far seem to be roughly following expectations - about 1 in 100,000 people vaccinated so far.  However vaccination only recently opened for younger people who are supposed to be more negatively impacted by the vaccine.  Five cases reported to date and our first death caused by the vaccine today.

The blood clots happen 4 - 20 days after vaccination.  So far, my wife and I are fine but we're just starting day 4.  No symptoms so far, fingers crossed for the next 16 days.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
DH and DD got Pfizer #2 this morning -- yeah!  Now we're all fully vaccinated -- including the whole extended family -- except for 15 y.o. DS.  Just waiting on the approval for the 12-16 age group.    So far none of us have had any side effects except for a mildly sore arm. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Blood clots caused by the AZ vaccine so far seem to be roughly following expectations - about 1 in 100,000 people vaccinated so far.  However vaccination only recently opened for younger people who are supposed to be more negatively impacted by the vaccine.  Five cases reported to date and our first death caused by the vaccine today.

The blood clots happen 4 - 20 days after vaccination.  So far, my wife and I are fine but we're just starting day 4.  No symptoms so far, fingers crossed for the next 16 days.

This is an interesting article about the increased risk of clotting in younger women: Why younger women have a higher risk of blood clots, whether or not they're vaccinated

It also notes that your risk of adverse effects, including clotting disorder, is much higher with actual COVID-19 than with the vaccine. But tell your wife to be vigilant, especially if she uses hormonal contraceptives (a long-known risk factor for thrombosis).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

This is an interesting article about the increased risk of clotting in younger women: Why younger women have a higher risk of blood clots, whether or not they're vaccinated

It also notes that your risk of adverse effects, including clotting disorder, is much higher with actual COVID-19 than with the vaccine. But tell your wife to be vigilant, especially if she uses hormonal contraceptives (a long-known risk factor for thrombosis).

So far we've seen:
* Woman (age not reported that I could find, looks 40s-ish in pictures though)
* 60 year old man - stroke/coma
* 70 year old man - stroke/in hospital
* Not reported
* 54 year old woman - stroke/dead

It's not very likely that the two men were on hormonal birth control.  It's possible that the woman who died was, but at 54 years old seems less likely.  The fact that the thrombosis caused by vaccination differs significantly in presentation from that associated with most other causes would also seem to indicate that birth control is not related.

If anyone is able to find UK data on the deaths and strokes caused by vaccination, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

former player

• Walrus Stache
A 54 year old woman might have been on hormone replacement therapy (HRT).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Can we talk about the # of people we know that aren't getting the vaccine? Disturbingly among those are several coworkers, possibly several relatives.

Meanwhile everyone at my house is good to go except the younger teen who wants it as soon as they are allowed.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
Other than my mother's boyfriend's daughter and grandson (what a mouthful!), whom I don't know personally, there is no one in my immediate circle that is skipping vaccination. Nearly everyone, family and friend, has either received at least one vaccination or is scheduled to receive it, judging from social media posts and post-vax selfies. Of course, with the exception of under 16's. Most of my friends are essential workers of one sort or another, and have been fully vaccinated for a month or longer.

There's bias in my data, as I drastically culled my circle and became much pickier about who I let in several years ago. Anti-vax was one of my culling criteria.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Our siblings are not getting vaccinated out of fear - both my sister and wife's brother are mid 30's and my sister in law is late 20's I think. Trying to decide exactly where to draw the line when we visit our vaccinated parents for the first time in a long time.

Frankly disgusted by the decisions (the 'no-vax' is not at the advice of any medical professionals in any of these 3 people's case), but we seem to care more about them not being vaccinated than our parents, who are obviously higher risk than us, do.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Can we talk about the # of people we know that aren't getting the vaccine? Disturbingly among those are several coworkers, possibly several relatives.

Meanwhile everyone at my house is good to go except the younger teen who wants it as soon as they are allowed.

I have two cousins (both in their late 40s now) who are staunchly anti-vaccine.  Neither of them (and none of their five children) will be getting vaccinated.  But they're the only people I know.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
A couple of my young (early 20s) cousins are refusing the vaccine. One is afraid of infertility because she's bought into the conspiracy bullshit. I don't know the other's reasoning, but she works as an ER nurse in one of our local hospitals that recently reached capacity due to the third wave of COVID. It's disappointing; I thought she was smarter than that.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
Well, I’m here to report yesterday’s 2nd dose of Moderna has kicked my butt. Didn’t sleep well at all last night, had a headache, body aches all over and low grade temperature. Of course, my arm is sore as well but that pales in comparison to the rest of it. DH seems to be doing much better than me, although he joined me at my most recent acetaminophen dosing, saying he was starting to feel really run down and achy.

I don’t love feeling crummy but it’s certainly worth it if it keeps me safe in the long run.

redhead84

• Stubble

I know a few people who aren't getting it due to general fear of shots (not anti-vaxx in general, just don't think their risk is high enough to overcome their needle phobia), one person who bought into some "wellness community" BS about vaccinations, and two who refuse because "this is a political stunt of the left."

That said, the vast majority of people I know and have discussed this with have been or will be getting vaccinated.

SuperNintendo Chalmers

• Stubble
Got my second Pfizer dose on Monday.  About 6 hours after getting the shot, started feeling flu-like symptoms, which lasted for about 36 hours.  Best way to describe it is the feeling you get midway from the start to height of a "normal" flu.  Feel much better today.

Arm soreness was not nearly as bad as the first shot.

Very thankful to have gotten both shots!  Now just hoping that a year from now everyone who got the vaccine doesn't suddenly start transforming into some sort of bionic mutant superhero.  Or maybe that would be cool. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Got my second Pfizer dose on Monday.  About 6 hours after getting the shot, started feeling flu-like symptoms, which lasted for about 36 hours.  Best way to describe it is the feeling you get midway from the start to height of a "normal" flu.  Feel much better today.

Arm soreness was not nearly as bad as the first shot.

Very thankful to have gotten both shots!  Now just hoping that a year from now everyone who got the vaccine doesn't suddenly start transforming into some sort of bionic mutant superhero.  Or maybe that would be cool.

Definitely cool.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
I've gotten a lot of vaccines over the years courtesy of the military (Anthrax, Yellow Fever, Smallpox to name a few) and aside from one flu shot (the kind administered nasally) I can't recall ever having any effects post-vaccine. Anthrax did hurt like hell a few seconds after the shot (felt like getting punched in the arm). Smallpox required a few weeks for a scab to develop, fall off leaving an open sore, and a scar to form. But aside from being a little itchy there were no side effects.

What is it about these COVID vaccines that's causing such a strong reaction (relatively speaking)?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
What is it about these COVID vaccines that's causing such a strong reaction (relatively speaking)?

It must be something to do with the way the body responds to the spike protein and not the actual vaccine technology, since the mRNA vaccines and the viral vector vaccines all have similar side effects.

Some vaccines are just like that - the shingles vax is the same way, a relatively high percentage of people get side effects from it. (But, again, not anywhere near as bad as actually getting shingles.) I guess it just means the human immune system has a higher likelihood of freaking out upon seeing that protein vs. other ones. Why that happens, I have no idea...

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
I think it’s a combo of better protection and people being hyperaware. Think about the number of people who insist the flu shot “gives” them the flu every time they take it.

Lots of people (I think the most recent thing I saw was 20%? Can’t be bothered to try and find the source) get little to no side effects but then they aren’t as likely to talk about it. I’d say among my ~30 directs who chose to vaccinate, about half had symptoms after one or both shots, and only two or three took time off work after. Spouse had zero effects, and I had the sore arm, which was the most common complaint from my directs.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal

Well my 93 year old grandparents aren't getting it, my 80 year old grandmother isn't and my 60 year old father isn't. My father is probably the only one justified as he is severely allergic to lots of very common drugs and other stuff. I also have an aunt and uncle who won't because they don't trust something created that quickly. Most everyone else I know will get the shot. Most of these people accept that death is a potential outcome so it's not that they think covid can't kill, it's more that they think when it's their time, it's their time. Very external locus of control (50/50 on extremely religious so its not just that). Personally death is the less scary outcome, months in a hospital is just not my cup of tea, thank you. I think someone mentioned upthread being covid-hesitant. That's me too.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Can we talk about the # of people we know that aren't getting the vaccine?

I had two people in my circle that had told me they were "waiting" to get the vaccine to give other people who really needed it a chance to get it first. One is nearly 60 and the other is a heavy smoker. I was 100% sure one of them was vaccine hesitant and not willing to admit it to me (I am about the most vaccine-forward person you will ever meet at this point, so I can see why you wouldn't want to tell me) and the other I was 50/50 since they do WFH and are basically a hermit and might consider themselves very low risk. The 50/50 person and their wife got their first doses this weekend. The 100% person texted me tonight to let me know they're meeting with their homeopath tomorrow to figure out an acceptable date for their vaccine appointment (I know... but... whatever it takes). She believes in all sorts of non-scientific stuff (horoscopes, psychics, etc.) so I can't even imagine what they will be factoring in to figure out what date it will be. As long as it's a date in the near future... that's fine.