Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229533 times)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum

Try multiple appointment web sites for the best slot.

I agree that this method is what was key for us, too. Eldest got his through work at the university site (not sure if it was the student health clinic or a local clinic). I got mine at the county mass vacc site. Partner got hers at a grocery store pharmacy in a nearby town. Son's partner got it at a pharmacy in town. Youngest son was supposed to get it at this same pharmacy, but they received Moderna instead of Pfizer (he's under 18, so Pfizer only), so now he is scheduled to get it at Walmart on Tuesday.

I had no luck with the Washington state vaccine finder as it was constantly out of date. I booked all appointments except eldest son's. I compiled my own list of places issuing vaccines and checked them directly a couple of times a day. I also checked in with my town's subreddit a few times a day, as people are posting where shots are available when they find them.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
@Trifele Many different Walgreens around the area appear to be offering appointments as soon as tomorrow, with options for Moderna 2nd shots: https://www.vaccinespotter.org/WI/?zip=53704

Note that I haven't logged onto Walgreen's site to confirm that this is accurate but fingers crossed!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
I already posted this in my journal but I'm cross-posting here as this thread is much more widely read. I hope it helps someone!

Memphis is actually giving away freebies now, to incentivize more people to get vaccinated.

"Officials announced Thursday they’ll continue to waive the need for appointments through Sunday at the Pipkin Building, meaning you can just show up anytime from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. They’re also offering $20 Kroger and Walmart gift cards to the first 2,500 people this weekend.

They’ll also be on hand to vaccinate at the University of Memphis’s Friday night football game, where the first 500 people to get vaccinated will also get $10 concession vouchers."

So if there's anybody still struggling to get a vaccine and is willing to make the trip to Memphis, go for it!

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
After my 2nd dose of Moderna on Tuesday evening I had just minor arm soreness this time around, barely worth mentioning whereas the first time it hurt much more. I did end up developing a low grade fever (99.8) around 12 hours after the shot but it only lasted for 8 or so hours. 24 hours after the shot I felt completely normal again. Just hope that helps if anyone is worried about the 2nd shot, it was actually easier for me than the 1st and neither were particularly noteworthy compared to any other vaccine I've gotten.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
@Trifele Many different Walgreens around the area appear to be offering appointments as soon as tomorrow, with options for Moderna 2nd shots: https://www.vaccinespotter.org/WI/?zip=53704

Note that I haven't logged onto Walgreen's site to confirm that this is accurate but fingers crossed!

Thank you so much @turketron!  Checking now.  Up to this point the closest thing we could get was Janesville on the 30th, which is going to be a problem as MIL and SIL are disabled and can't travel easily. 

turketron

• Pencil Stache

Thank you so much @turketron!  Checking now.  Up to this point the closest thing we could get was Janesville on the 30th, which is going to be a problem as MIL and SIL are disabled and can't travel easily.

You bet! I also saw someone post that both Costoco locations on either side of town are now offering vaccines as well, but no idea which vaccine or if they'd be open to just doing shot #2.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden

You bet! I also saw someone post that both Costoco locations on either side of town are now offering vaccines as well, but no idea which vaccine or if they'd be open to just doing shot #2.

It worked!  Thank you so much!  They had a ton of available appointments on Monday and Tuesday and we were able to get both MIL and SIL in.  :)

turketron

• Pencil Stache
It worked!  Thank you so much!  They had a ton of available appointments on Monday and Tuesday and we were able to get both MIL and SIL in.  :)

Amazing, glad to hear it!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
I talked with my neighbor today.  Good to hear that he and most of his family have been vaccinated.  All except for one sister - she's a hairdresser, so what could go wrong?  He also had several employees who were "hard no's" on getting vaccinated until one of them got Covid, and then they all signed up!

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
I got my second Moderna yesterday morning and my wife got her second Pfizer on Tuesday. Neither of us had much of any side effects. I got what I would call a bit "flush" about 30-40 minutes after the vaccine, where I felt my skin was a bit red, but other than that I felt fine. Went home, ran 2 miles, gave a 1.5 hour conference presentation, drank a few beers while watching some baseball, etc. My arm is a bit sore today, like a bruise in that spot, but other than that everything is fine.

My wife and I were talking about it and at this point the only people we know that haven't been vaccinated are people that are holding off a bit because they had Covid in February. I'm sure there are other acquaintances not blasting that they are anti-vaccine on social media, but of all the people we routinely talk to all of them have gotten it. Really hoping we start to see a drop in the daily cases across the US. I think we're approaching 40% of people in the US that have had at least one dose. Couple that with the fact that another 10-15% have had Covid itself we should be approaching 60% of the population that has some form of resistance.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:26:04 AM by mizzourah2006 »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
I'm reporting in as someone with an active autoimmune flare who just got the second shot of Moderna.

First shot husband and I got no side effects but very sore arm.

The day after the second shot, my husband was totally wiped and kind of achy and stiff. He would work for an hour, then go for a 2-hour nap, rinse and repeat all day long. The second night after the shot he ran a very slight fever on and off. This morning he is still tired but otherwise no symptoms.

I had a much tougher experience. First night (about 12 hours after the shot) I woke around 3 a.m. with severe body-clenching chills (no fever interestingly) and mild nausea and severe body aches.  After a couple hours, I took ibuprofen and was able to sleep.  Woke up the next morning feeling like I'd been run over by a truck...could hardly move for stiffness, headache, severe body aches, and continued nausea.  Got up, took more ibuprofen, ate some toast, started to feel slightly better.      By early afternoon the day after the shot I was pretty sure I was over it, but I was wrong. At 4 pm it was like I hit a brick wall, chills started again, body aches worsened, and I became utterly exhausted and retreated to a super hot bath or bed the rest of the day.  Woke up this morning with the nausea, headache, and joint pain gone but still utterly stiff and exhausted. I expect I will have to nap some more today as well. 

I've never had anything like this kind of reaction to any other vaccination.  Obviously my immune system responded like a five alarm fire to this vaccine, so that's good.  I need to keep in mind how hard I am hit when/if this vaccination becomes an annual shot...need to plan for 2 days of illness afterward. 

I had a bit of an autoimmune rash flare yesterday evening, but nothing out of the ordinary for me.  If anything further pops up in terms of autoimmune stuff in the next couple weeks I will report in.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:01:04 AM by wenchsenior »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Four of my friends got second doses yesterday. Woohoo!

I hope the number of vaccines (plus natural immunity) is having an effect here finally - NYC has mostly highly-contagious variants now, but our numbers finally started dropping after being flat (and too high) for months.

We also suddenly have a shit-ton of available appointments. I'm not sure what happened - some kind of tipping point with the supply/demand, or the J&J vaccine pause spooked people, or something. I'm keeping an eye on the numbers to see if the number of vaccines given per day drops significantly. I hope not, since we've got less than half the city vaxed. The good news is that they're acting quickly to counteract it - the city-run sites are all accepting walk-ins with no appointments for anyone over 50 as of today, and one of the city's biggest hospital sites is doing 18+ walk-ins today. If they can successfully get the word out I think that will help a lot. I think a lot of people were discouraged early on and just decided to wait until it wasn't so difficult to get an appointment. Now all the people willing to play in the Hunger Games have vaccines and there's no easy way to tell everyone else it's their time.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
Got my first Moderna shot at Riteaid yesterday. Expected to have to wait around for 15 minutes, after receiving the injection, but the pharmacist just walked away and left me sitting there; didn't mention anything about my 2nd appointment, just left. So, after a few minutes, I got up, walked out of the store, and rode my bike home. No side effects, aside from a slightly sore arm. DW is getting her first shot of Moderna today. Looking forward to going back to normal soon.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
My running buddy who is a mega center volunteer said they are starting to get Detroit people driving 2.5 hours for a shot.  (Grand Rapids). I think Devos Place has 2x the capacity as Ford Field.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
My running buddy who is a mega center volunteer said they are starting to get Detroit people driving 2.5 hours for a shot.  (Grand Rapids). I think Devos Place has 2x the capacity as Ford Field.

This is so disappointing when we know how hard hit MI is and how there are vaccines sitting on shelves in MS and AL, etc.  We need to get more to MI!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache

Which is strange because I don't know anyone that hasn't been able to easily get an appointment at Ford field.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his

Which is strange because I don't know anyone that hasn't been able to easily get an appointment at Ford field.
People in the burbs are afraid to go downtown (jk .. . sort of)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
I got my second, DW her first Pfizer.  Woohoo!
Minor arm soreness, no other issues for either of us.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Just heard that two close friends of mine were able to get appointments for Monday - they live across the river in NJ and Monday is their first day of eligibility. I'm thrilled :-D  I know they are too. It's been really hard for them to wait so long when they would have been eligible weeks ago on the opposite bank of the river.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
My 2nd Moderna shot was Thursday. Friday afternoon featured the first fever I've had in many years - we were starting to wonder if the thermometer we've been using was broken, but confirmed it can indeed read over 98 degrees. Feeling much better today.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
Second Pfizer shot yesterday.  Sinus headache and sleepy today, but that is par for course for me during spring.  So I'm pretty sure it's not related to the vaccine...I think.  Otherwise, there is the sore arm, which is slightly more sore than the 1st shot.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
I got my second Pfizer shot on Friday.  I had my mom up to watch the kids "just in case", but all I got was a sore arm and a strong desire for a nap on Friday and Saturday mid-day, thankfully.

My sister got her first dose of Pfizer on Saturday - she works outdoors 8-5:30 or so M-F so she didn't have time to look for an appointment, but I found a weekend one for her once I asked if she wanted me to look.  Once she and my husband get their second doses, our whole extended family will be vaccinated :)

Vaccine spotter was the website that worked best for me.  They do a great job of compiling a bunch of different sites, and it made it a lot easier than refreshing each individual webpage waiting for appointments to pop up.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
My husband got his first Moderna shot yesterday and just had some soreness in the arm he got the shot in.  Eventually he also had some soreness in the other arm, which he hopes is just his lymph nodes reacting.  But otherwise he's perfectly fine.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Second Pfizer yesterday. Nothing to report until today. Typical sore arm, but woke up with a not terrible but not great headache and feel exhausted and sort of sore all over like I did a workout. Figure I'll be taking a nap at some point but nothing unmanageable.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
We also suddenly have a shit-ton of available appointments. I'm not sure what happened - some kind of tipping point with the supply/demand, or the J&J vaccine pause spooked people, or something. I'm keeping an eye on the numbers to see if the number of vaccines given per day drops significantly. I hope not, since we've got less than half the city vaxed.

I like the CDC tracker:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/?CDC_AA_refVal#vaccinations

Very important is that we're now at >80% of people over age 65 with at least one dose. This virus overwhelmingly kills people who are older, not younger, so if the goal is to save lives then even if the vaccination rates top out in April, the most critical group is already in very good shape and the overall population showing on the CDC site at 49.7% vaccinated is also a great sign. Given that information about half the adult population being first-shot vaccinated now I suspect that is the reason appointments are opening up more easily. There's simply fewer and fewer people left to vaccinate.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

People in the burbs are afraid to go downtown (jk .. . sort of)

Unfortunately, that's probably true in many cases.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
Interesting post on an acquaintance's FB was going on this morning. This person has been pretty adamant that they weren't getting the vaccine. No really weird conspiracy theories, they just didn't trust that it had been "properly tested" and were worried that it was rushed into protection. Posted today that they are scheduled to get their first shot this week. What changed their mind? Several restaurants and bars local to them, along with Sam Adams apparently, are giving out free beers/food/discounts if you bring in your vaccination card.

Never underestimate freebies for getting people to do things they were otherwise opposed to, I guess!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Interesting post on an acquaintance's FB was going on this morning. This person has been pretty adamant that they weren't getting the vaccine. No really weird conspiracy theories, they just didn't trust that it had been "properly tested" and were worried that it was rushed into protection. Posted today that they are scheduled to get their first shot this week. What changed their mind? Several restaurants and bars local to them, along with Sam Adams apparently, are giving out free beers/food/discounts if you bring in your vaccination card.

Never underestimate freebies for getting people to do things they were otherwise opposed to, I guess!

It's funny how human behavior works but hey, whatever gets shots in arms!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
I got my first Pfizer shot last Thursday at a CVS that had just opened as a vacc site. I had arm soreness for a day and some general muscle aches, but that's it for side effects.

PA is finally opening in waves after literally months in Phase 1A. My 19yo, who works as a barista, will be eligible next Monday, and I plan to haunt the sites until I can get them an appointment. They have been our biggest exposure vector by a factor of a jillion because the cafe where they work has indoor dining. The kid is actually really careful, considering their age and stage. They've been great about wearing masks (and passing out masks to their friends) and meeting up with friends outside, even in cold weather.

So here's an update. I did indeed haunt the appointment sites, and our state abruptly lowered BMI threshold from 30 to 25. My kid's BMI is 25.06, so I was able to get them an appointment five days before they would have qualified under employment (food service). They got... J&J on April 8. 19yo, assigned female at birth, on OCPs.

Oof.

I'm sure they will be fine. But I have to tell you, after a year of bad news after bad news, I really enjoyed those few days when our whole little family had received the vaccine, before I had to start worrying about YET ANOTHER THING I can't do A SINGLE THING about.

I figure three more weeks of having them keep an eye out for severe headache, abdominal pain, unilateral leg pain, or shortness of breath... and THEN perhaps I will exult again in our vaccinated status.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache

A local pot shop has a discount for vaccine card holders. :-)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
We also suddenly have a shit-ton of available appointments. I'm not sure what happened - some kind of tipping point with the supply/demand, or the J&J vaccine pause spooked people, or something. I'm keeping an eye on the numbers to see if the number of vaccines given per day drops significantly. I hope not, since we've got less than half the city vaxed.

I like the CDC tracker:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/?CDC_AA_refVal#vaccinations

Very important is that we're now at >80% of people over age 65 with at least one dose. This virus overwhelmingly kills people who are older, not younger, so if the goal is to save lives then even if the vaccination rates top out in April, the most critical group is already in very good shape and the overall population showing on the CDC site at 49.7% vaccinated is also a great sign. Given that information about half the adult population being first-shot vaccinated now I suspect that is the reason appointments are opening up more easily. There's simply fewer and fewer people left to vaccinate.

Unfortunately the national averages don't show what's happening locally. On a micro-level, the richest neighborhoods in my county have twice the vaccination rates of the poorest neighborhoods. On a slightly more macro level, in the next county over where my parents live, they have 10% more vaccinations than NYC does, where I live. On a national level, some states are 20% ahead of other states. In NYC we don't have anywhere close to 80% of the people over 65. We don't even have 50% of the people over 85! We got high vaccination rates overall by opening up to a lot of people early at the expense of a laser focus on the most vulnerable like some other states did.

Point being you can have a pretty high average, but that doesn't mean there aren't big pockets of unvaccinated people that need and want vaccines. You have to find them and figure out why they aren't being served by the current system. For example, in NYC, any system that requires you to get information online about making an appointment won't work for some people (e.g., a typical 80+ year old) and many medically vulnerable people will not feel safe getting on public transit or getting in a taxi with a stranger to get to a vaccination clinic because they feel they could be exposed to COVID on the way to get the vaccine (I've heard of three different people catching COVID while getting their first dose, so this is not an idle worry). We need mobile vaccine clinics and pop-up clinics in neighborhoods that people can walk to, and enough outreach that people actually hear about them in time to act on it. Less urban areas will need different tactics, but they'll need to reach people some other ways. Unless we want to live in a pandemic forever, evolving new variants constantly.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
I got my first Pfizer shot last Thursday at a CVS that had just opened as a vacc site. I had arm soreness for a day and some general muscle aches, but that's it for side effects.

PA is finally opening in waves after literally months in Phase 1A. My 19yo, who works as a barista, will be eligible next Monday, and I plan to haunt the sites until I can get them an appointment. They have been our biggest exposure vector by a factor of a jillion because the cafe where they work has indoor dining. The kid is actually really careful, considering their age and stage. They've been great about wearing masks (and passing out masks to their friends) and meeting up with friends outside, even in cold weather.

So here's an update. I did indeed haunt the appointment sites, and our state abruptly lowered BMI threshold from 30 to 25. My kid's BMI is 25.06, so I was able to get them an appointment five days before they would have qualified under employment (food service). They got... J&J on April 8. 19yo, assigned female at birth, on OCPs.

Oof.

I'm sure they will be fine. But I have to tell you, after a year of bad news after bad news, I really enjoyed those few days when our whole little family had received the vaccine, before I had to start worrying about YET ANOTHER THING I can't do A SINGLE THING about.

I figure three more weeks of having them keep an eye out for severe headache, abdominal pain, unilateral leg pain, or shortness of breath... and THEN perhaps I will exult again in our vaccinated status.

Yeesh.  Totally understand those feelings.  Wishing you the best and for the three weeks to pass swiftly without symptoms.

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
We were waiting patiently for PA to open to phase 2 on the 19th and in the middle of the day on the 13th I heard a partial bit of an interview on the radio that PA opened to all, 16+. A few hours later I got home and looked into it and we were eligible! I was able to find 2 slots open for hubs and I, two days later on the 15th, and a short walk from our house. We felt very lucky and happy to finally be eligible and able to find an appointment. We are both waiting for our second dose, and most of the rest of our family (much older) has already been fully vaccinated. (edit to say the rest of family that was vaccinated already was in Ohio, NY, and VA.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:56:57 PM by moneypitfeeder »

APowers

• Handlebar Stache

I feel like I'm generally in the group of people like your friend who aren't really hyped about getting a vaccine that seems like it may have been less tested than normal, and rushed into production without being backed by technical FDA approval. I'm not old enough to remember personally, but I've read enough history to be familiar with the disastrous rollout of the polio vaccine (incredibly important, but still, a lot of people died from bad vaccines). I'm not opposed to vaccinations, but tend to be shy of being an early adopter for reasons of caution.

At this point, though, I've read what feels like enough anecdata to be reasonably sure that I can get it without much more risk than a day or two of sick time at worst. I've not been concerned about not having it, given that I'm not in any high-covid-risk categories, so for me to wait it out (while taking normal infectious-disease precautions like masks and handwashing) seems like the best option. So while I would have been pretty adamant about not getting it at the beginning of the year, I'm currently on the local waitlist for a first dose. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż No freebies even required.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache

I feel like I'm generally in the group of people like your friend who aren't really hyped about getting a vaccine that seems like it may have been less tested than normal, and rushed into production without being backed by technical FDA approval. I'm not old enough to remember personally, but I've read enough history to be familiar with the disastrous rollout of the polio vaccine (incredibly important, but still, a lot of people died from bad vaccines). I'm not opposed to vaccinations, but tend to be shy of being an early adopter for reasons of caution.

I'm assuming you are referencing the Cutter vaccine. It was a horrible oversight and part of the reason we have certain protocols in place today to prevent similar oversights from occurring again. But in the interest of accuracy in the event others on the fence about this or any vaccination are reading this, the death toll was five with around 50 paralyzed, out of the 165,000 or so doses of the faulty vaccine that were administered. That's a .00003% death rate just for the faulty vaccine lot, compared to the 5-15% death rate at the height of the epidemic.

I'm glad you overcame your distrust and I hope your turn for a dose comes up soon!

By the River

• Bristles

A local pot shop has a discount for vaccine card holders. :-)

A couple of bars here have done a "shot with a shot" promotion where the medical tent is set up in the parking lot.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
I just got my second moderna shot this morning.  Looking forward to some nice naps :-)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Finally was able to get my most challenging friend an appointment for Wednesday. He is disabled after being in an accident, lives in a very rural area and can't drive or ride a bike so he's very limited in terms of where he can go. There is one pharmacy he can get to on foot in the small town he lives in. Thankfully they had vaccines, but they were only doing appointments like half a day every week and we were having trouble figuring out when to book them. Then they were doing none because it was a J&J vaccine location and it was put on pause. And he's sort of terrible at the internet and rarely checks his messages so I was checking for him every day. Finally they got Moderna in and I was sending him messages that they had appointments and he was like - "no, I walked over there last week and they didn't have any" and when I said they have appointments available now he said he was busy today but he would check tomorrow, and I said he could just go online and make an appointment, and he said "last time I looked online there were no appointments," and it went on like this literally for two days before I got him to actually go to the website and book an appointment, which took all of five minutes. Luckily they were still there because it's a town of 2000 people and they added about 200 appointments all at once.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
Finally got the kid in for a shot. (I complain, but 5 days after it opened to 16+ isn't a bad wait!)Was able to bypass Walmart - didn't trust them to have Pfizer and didn't want to get stuck with another cancellation - and got him into the county mass vacc site. No side effects thus far. Treated him to a milkshake and walk around the park afterward, just like we used to do after shots when he was just a little tyke!

Everyone in my immediate family has now had at least one shot. On a side note, my mother's boyfriend's grandson, whom lives with him, refused to get his vaccine when he became eligible a month ago. Now he has it and it's not going well. Ug. At least mom and boyfriend are fully vaccinated.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
Got my second dose of Pfizer today.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
Got my second dose of Pfizer today.
Same for me. Plus my state apparently is largely managing to keep up with demand at this point. Where 4 weeks ago all appointments for the entire week would be booked in the first 10 minutes they became available, now they're showing some availability every day. As long as we can convince everyone to actually go ahead with the vaccination and not delay, the US should be very well protected in time for summer vacation season and people can go back to dying of normal things, like drunk driving and lung cancer from smoking, or heart disease from their obesity.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
We have multiple family members that refuse to get the vaccine.  Some claim they can't medically, and some claim they have bad reactions.  We know these people though and they are just idiots, they have no medical reason to not get the vaccine, they are just trump supporting idiots that don't want no damn science pumped into their arm.  Very frustrating since the kids can't be vaccinated, and now these idiots want to have family get togethers again with all the kids unvaccinated and multiple adults unvaccinated for no reason. 

Some of them don't even make sense.  They've been insanely secluded the entire pandemic.  They had a baby in April 2020 and no one in the family has even held the baby yet because they are so paranoid.  They quit jobs early in the pandemic because they were too afraid to be out working in the pandemic.  When the pandemic flared up again in fall they quit a different job out of fear again.  They wash and wipe everything that comes into their house, and everything non-perishable goes into the basement for a 3 day quarantine before they will use it.  They still take these unnecessary precautions to this day.  And_yet_they_refuse_to_get_a_vaccine.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
We have multiple family members that refuse to get the vaccine.  Some claim they can't medically, and some claim they have bad reactions.  We know these people though and they are just idiots, they have no medical reason to not get the vaccine, they are just trump supporting idiots that don't want no damn science pumped into their arm.  Very frustrating since the kids can't be vaccinated, and now these idiots want to have family get togethers again with all the kids unvaccinated and multiple adults unvaccinated for no reason. 

Some of them don't even make sense.  They've been insanely secluded the entire pandemic.  They had a baby in April 2020 and no one in the family has even held the baby yet because they are so paranoid.  They quit jobs early in the pandemic because they were too afraid to be out working in the pandemic.  When the pandemic flared up again in fall they quit a different job out of fear again.  They wash and wipe everything that comes into their house, and everything non-perishable goes into the basement for a 3 day quarantine before they will use it.  They still take these unnecessary precautions to this day.  And_yet_they_refuse_to_get_a_vaccine.

Fear, fear, fear.. It's completely taken over their lives.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache

Same.  I've told my family that I'm seeing vaccinated family members only (with exception for kids too young to be eligible for the vaccine).  The other idiots can all hang out with each other if they want to but I won't be there.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Same here.  I'm only going to visit family and see friends that are vaccinated.  I'll use whatever limited leverage I have to convince a few skeptics to just get the goddam shot. 

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
Here in DC there’s a new motivational scheme to get folks vaccinated...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
DH got second jab yesterday (was a little tired and achy).  I get mine tomorrow.

By the River

• Bristles
We have multiple family members that refuse to get the vaccine.  Some claim they can't medically, and some claim they have bad reactions. 

I was talking to one family member over the weekend.  He is very obese but I'm not sure of any other co-morbidities.  He said he isn't getting the vaccine because around 2002-03, his job required him to take the flu vaccine and he was sick for over a week and "that's the only time" he has been that sick.  He quit that job the next year when they required him to get another one and started his own company.  So there are a base level of anti-vaxxers that are not Trump supporters.  In fact, I just looked at a 2018 study and 3 of the top 11 counties with "philosophical and religious exemptions" are in Michigan.  https://vitals.lifehacker.com/where-the-anti-vaxxers-are-1826841232  Good luck

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
Can confirm here in MI that we have plenty of "philosophical and religious exemptions". I do believe we've hit the point where anyone who wants a vaccine has gotten one. My county is now vaccinating anyone in the state and *still* cannot fill their walk-in appointments.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Can confirm here in MI that we have plenty of "philosophical and religious exemptions". I do believe we've hit the point where anyone who wants a vaccine has gotten one. My county is now vaccinating anyone in the state and *still* cannot fill their walk-in appointments.

Pretty much. God help us next fall if we end up with a variant that escapes existing immunity.