Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 228606 times)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
I've seen 3 acquaintances on social media post pictures of them receiving the vaccine... all healthcare workers.  I think it might be being encouraged to post these pictures so that people start to become more open to the vaccine.  Not sure, just guessing.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
Thanks -- fair enough, we mostly just have anecdotal information at this point.  Bloomberg has started a vaccine tracker that provides some aggregated info from states that are publishing this (https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/), but my state appears not to be publishing any details yet.  Given those numbers, though, while some individual hospitals may be doing pretty well with vaccinations, we've got a long way to go. ~211,000 doses administered vs ~19m healthcare workers (not sure how many of those are "front line"/covid-patient facing though). Then there's a the long-term care facilities (~3m).  My mom was told she'd get vaccinated by perhaps early January... I'm thinking Phase 1a distribution (healthcare workers + long term care workers and residents) will continue through the end of January or into Feb/March. I hope it will be much sooner though.

Thanks for the link, this is very interesting.  At the moment I write this, it shows that ~615,000 vaccinations are complete in the US, this one week after the first 2.9 million doses were shipped.  Of those 615,000, it reports that ~72,000 vaccinations are complete in Illinois, which received ~109,000 doses in the first week.   So that is a very high percentage in Illinois, would seem that some states are much more ready than others for this.  If all states were equal, Illinois would have only completed ~20,000 of 109,000 doses. 

And 8 million more doses are being shipped across the country this week, and that doesn't include any second doses needed in a couple weeks being held in reserve.  It will be interesting to see where things are by the end of the week, though it is kind of a short week with Christmas.

Nice job Illinois!  I do wonder if some of it is distance for Pfizer's plants, which are in Michigan (not sure if there are others in other states??), but enough time has gone by now that shouldn't be the issue.  Uhg, still no news from my mother's hospital (WA), but I've got my fingers crossed that she will hear something any day now.

Illinois health care worker here, but I don't have patient contact.  I'm getting my vaccination tomorrow.  I think it will still be Pfizer.

Not all health care workers even want the vaccine, and it's not mandatory yet, unlike our flu shots.

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A little frustrated about the rollout- I'm an acupuncturist and we've had no communication in my state about where we are in the lineup, which group we're in.  We're considered essential, we touch people all day, but obviously not in a hospital (well, most of us aren't) or treating severe COVID patients.

The state association has reached out to the state medical board about where we are in line and no response.

I hear your frustration.  My wife is in a similar situation.  She is an audiologist working for an ear, nose, and throat office.  She sees 50-60 patients per week.  Many for 1 hour appointments in close contact dispensing hearing aids.  The nurses and scribes have to be in the room with patient and doctor while patient removes mask for nasal or throat exam.  They are in a medical building attached to the hospital.  The doctors do surgery at the hospital and have all been vaccinated.  However the ENT office is a private practice and the hospital said they will only be vaccinating hospital employees. 

We have no idea how or when she can make a vaccination appointment despite hearing some hospitals have excess vaccine they can’t use.  She tried to ask her business manager when the practice will be vaccinated and the manager said March.  Seems she is overworked and was just blowing my wife off.  But the government is supposedly shipping enough vaccine for 20 million of 24 million health care worked / long term care facilities by the end of the month.  So the March timeline doesn’t make any sense.  My wife then contacted the hospital herself and got the response they would only be vaccinating hospital employees.

I hope we hear the plan for health care workers unaffiliated with a hospital soon.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 06:14:44 PM by HuskieJoe »

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
I feel bad for those not associated with the hospital but still seeing patients! I think the roll out has been slower than hoped/planned.
In my east coast big hospital I know of an ICU RN vaccinated yesterday they are doing appointment only vaccine for frontliners now, and the unit coodinator/ admin is getting it January 4th. This was a Covid ICU in the surge and now not specifically Covid unit ( yet).

I feel all frontline workers should get Vaccine first and nursing home residents, it just makes sense, esential workers including retail employees are out there every day regardless of the personal risk.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
First dose was rougher than I expected - fatigue and nausea for a day. Better today, arm still hurts. Second dose will be rougher so I’m clearing my schedule for the day after. Still worth it.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
I got mine yesterday.   RN at a big hospital.   We were prioritized based on exposure,  so nurses, docs,  techs,  respiratory therapists with direct exposure to COVID patients,  plus housekeeping and other staff who went into the rooms.   Next was other inpatient and outpatient staff.   I wasn't initially in the first group,  but we ended up having enough doses that they didn't have to ration like they thought they might at first.

My only reaction has been a sore arm. Worse than flu shot,  not as bad as tetanus shot.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
@Abe you got Pfizer, right?

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
SIL (RN) got Pfizer last week. Friend (MD) gets Moderna today.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
My cousin who is a nurse in VA got hers this week and my FIL who lives in assisted living is getting his in the next week or so.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
I just got Moderna 2 1/2 hours ago.  Hospital affiliated but no patient contact, 50's, in good health, working from home most days.  I can't even feel where they stuck me in the shoulder.  So far, so good, with no side effects to this point.  I've read/heard that side effects are more likely and tend to be more intense after the second dose, and it can take quite a few hours to get bad in some cases.

I had said in my previous statement that I thought it would be Pfizer because that's what they had gotten in last week and had been given to the front-line health care workers, but this shipment ended up being Moderna, which I didn't know until I showed up to get the vaccination.

Edit: Update 7 hours after inoculation - still no side effects.

Edit: Update 24 hours afterwards -  mild soreness at injection site, more than a flu shot, otherwise feel normal and slept well.

Edit: Update 52 hours after vaccination - soreness is less than half what it was a day ago, no other effects
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 07:46:23 PM by American GenX »

Abe

• Magnum Stache
@Abe you got Pfizer, right?
Yes.

Timeline was:
Injection 3pm Monday - painless
Sore arm by 6pm
Worsening pain overnight, improved somewhat by 6am. Couldn’t lift shoulder at all due to pain.
Myalgia, nausea and fatigue starting by 7am Tuesday
Peak nausea and fatigue around 1pm
Slow improvement through Tuesday night / Wednesday morning. Fatigue improved.
Starting to be able to raise my shoulder normally now (Wed PM).

Our hospital has advised us to take a sick day the day after second dose if needed, which don’t count to our normal sick days.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 05:12:12 PM by Abe »

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
That’s the guidance here, too, with the sick day after dose 2.  I got Moderna this morning (Thanks, Dolly) and feel fine so far. Fingers crossed I have a mild day tomorrow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
I'm curious whether immunization centers are holding back some supply for the first group to get their second shot in a few weeks. You wouldn't want to risk getting into a situation where a supply mishap causes a bunch of people to be unable to get their second dose at the right time, right?
Hmm, somehow I got the impression it's two different immunizations, not two of the same one. A + B, not A + A.

It’s two of the same, three weeks apart. We are assuming adequate supply for the second dose for everyone who gets the first dose (ie no disruptions). The timing isn’t critical so even if it’s a few weeks later should be fine. Efficiency is about 85% with the first dose of the Pfizer one, probably similar for the moderna one.

My arm is sore, similar to flu vaccine, but otherwise fine!
Thanks for the info, @Abe. I hope the symptoms dissipate soon and the second dose isn't as bad as expected.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
My state got 20% less Pfizer doses than we were originally slated to get.  Not sure why, and hope that's corrected soon.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Talked to my adopted grandma yesterday, who is 100 years old and lives in an independent senior apartment building in Iowa. She says she's going to get vaccinated in January.  I guess Iowa is moving through group 1 (health care workers, people in facilities) and projecting they will be starting on group 2 (elderly, essential workers, people with fragile health) soon.   

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
Essential govt worker here and I expect to be vaccinated in January, lord willing and the creek don’t rise.  To me, the vaccine seems to be the only way out of this mess.  We shall still mask up at work and wash hands like it’s a religious practice. 

dignam

• Pencil Stache
GF is scheduled to get the vaccine Monday :).  She isn't even front line at the hospital, so they must be getting substantial amounts.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Most of the people I know who have gotten the vaccine are actual health care workers, but one friend on Facebook got the vaccine and I'm pretty sure she's a .....director of sales for some medical center?  I really don't begrudge her.  I'm at the very end of the line for the vaccine so it makes no difference to me at all, and I'm just happy to see the vaccines getting done and moving along as expeditiously as possible, but I was a little surprised.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
My sister (RN normally not in direct patient care) is giving vaccine shots.  1000 were given on Friday by her major local medical hospital/clinic chain.  They have a very detailed priority structure within the "medical" group.  Direct contact with Covid 19 patients whether doctor, RT or cleaner are obviously first. 

Lots of people trying to jump the line..."But I'm a doctor!"  "Yes, but you're a podiatrist and way at the back of the line."  She said  she's glad she doesn't have to deal with those arguments.  BTW giving the vaccine to health care workers doesn't entitle her to the vaccine.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
How you feeling today, @Abe and @American GenX ?

American GenX

• Pencil Stache

It's been 52 hours now.  I would say the soreness in the injection site area is less than half as sore as it was yesterday, which was mild then.  No other effects.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
How you feeling today, @Abe and @American GenX ?

Thanks for checking in. The shoulder soreness is almost fully resolved and the fatigue resolved Wednesday. I had a random asthma attack today which I think is unrelated, but was the first one in several months.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
My husband just got his yesterday. Moderna. He's a social worker for the VA. He feels fine. Arm sore exactly as it is when he gets a flu shot. He'll get his second dose in a few weeks.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
My friend who is an ICU nurse was supposed to get the first dose this past Monday. As part of the prep for it they get tested for COVID-19 . . . and her results came back last weekend as positive. So, she didn't end up getting the vaccine after all.

Gah, almost made it to vaccination without getting it, but not quite!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache

Glad to hear you are both doing well!

Gah, almost made it to vaccination without getting it, but not quite!

I might have flipped a table

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Old friend of mine confirmed he got it. He's a lab technician in Hawaii and helps run COVID tests. It's a big relief!

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Seems everyone I know who works for a hospital received it or had an appointment made over a week ago.  My wife who works in a medical building attached to a hospital, sees 50-60 patients per week, but works for a private practice, has no idea how to even make an appointment to get the shot.  Hospital is only requesting vaccine for its own staff.

Seems only those connected to large organizations are getting it at this time.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
My uncle is a resident in a nursing home in a big city east coast USA and he received the vaccine two days ago.( Xmas eve)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
I know 7 people who have gotten the vaccine so far:
1. Hospitalist (physician)
2. Surgery nurse
3. ED nurse (2)
4. Neonatal nurse practitioner
5. First responder (EMS)
6. Clinical gerontologist

Right now in my area hospitals they are doing lotteries as each new shipment of vaccine comes in.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
My sister said she is scheduled for Monday the 28th. She is a 911 dispatcher in Colorado.

She said that their EMS and Fire crews have already received it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
My coroner sister said she has been told she will be receiving the vaccine next week.  A few weeks ago, she expressed skepticism and said something about maybe wanting to wait and see, but now it seems she is fully on board and will be getting it as soon as it is available to her.  It's not clear to me whether she's getting it because the coroner's office specifically has been put on the list, or because she is considered an LEO and works with jail populations as well, or if she is considered a "health care" worker. 

Spiffy

• Bristles
My child had a "well check" visit last week at the pediatrician so I asked if any doctors in the office were getting them soon. She said that 4 out of the 10 got them so far. She said that because she still had immunity, she would wait and get it later. Then, without embarrassment, she told me the story of getting together at a large family gathering for Thanksgiving and giving Covid to her parents, her parents in law and a couple of cousins. She said she gave it to 7 people! I said, "Wow, you are Typhoid Mary!" She just laughed. It sort of makes me want to change to a different doctor, but we have been with her for a long time and only have a few more years needing a pediatrician, and I generally agree with her attitude to health related topics.

DizzyDaisies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I work for a large teaching hospital but do not have any patient contact. They are notifying employees via email when it is their turn. I have not received my notification yet. They hope to have all employees  who want the vaccine vaccinated by mid/late January.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
My child had a "well check" visit last week at the pediatrician so I asked if any doctors in the office were getting them soon. She said that 4 out of the 10 got them so far. She said that because she still had immunity, she would wait and get it later. Then, without embarrassment, she told me the story of getting together at a large family gathering for Thanksgiving and giving Covid to her parents, her parents in law and a couple of cousins. She said she gave it to 7 people! I said, "Wow, you are Typhoid Mary!" She just laughed. It sort of makes me want to change to a different doctor, but we have been with her for a long time and only have a few more years needing a pediatrician, and I generally agree with her attitude to health related topics.

As a physician and parent, I have to say that your pediatrician sounds incredibly callous and scary. I wonder if she'd be laughing if one of her parents died. Or maybe that was the hope! At this point I've accepted that a large fraction of the general population just doesn't give a damn. Fine, that's their decision. But a physician? Don't get me wrong, I've met some terrible physicians in my training, but usually they hide their lack of empathy from the general public.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:18:46 PM by Abe »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache

As a physician and parent, I have to say that your pediatrician sounds incredibly callous and scary. I wonder if she'd be laughing if one of her parents died. Or maybe that was the hope! At this point I've accepted that a large fraction of the general population just doesn't give a damn. Fine, that's their decision. But a physician? Don't get me wrong, I've met some terrible physicians in my training, but usually they hide their lack of empathy from the general public.

I completely understand not wanting to change doctors for your children, but that disclosure would be a deal breaker for me. Just the fact that she gathered with both sets of parents and a bunch of cousins for Thanksgiving would be a deal breaker as that was against all of the advice of public health officials. What if the next virus that comes along kills mostly children instead and she is just as cavalier about it?

Channel-Z

• Stubble
My dad, in his 80s, will start his vaccinations in a couple of weeks. My mom, who is also full-time caregiver, is four years too young to be in the "1B" vaccination group in our state. But, it might be for the best for them to stagger vaccinations, in case both have complications.

Jesstache

• Stubble
My friend's husband who is a Fire Fighter Chief here in CA got the pfizer vaccine a few days ago.
My husband's cousin's daughter (early 20's) who is a nurse got pfizer vaccine on the first day available in KS.

My MIL, who is 84 and lives in rural Kansas, told us she got a call from Hospice which in normal times she regularly volunteers with (though not since the pandemic started).  They asked her if she'd be interested in getting the vaccine.  I think she told them she wanted to think about it and would get back to them.  We told her she should definitely get it and her response was... "What about all the old people who need it?!"  LOL  We told her, "YOU'RE an old person!"  What she really meant was that her 90 year old friend should be before her.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
My hospital still doesn't have enough for all the patient care staff.  My department is getting the vaccine a little earlier than expected. We do aerosol-generating procedures, but patients have to have a negative Covid test first, so they initially said we were tier four.

I got struck off the list because my last day of work there is before my second dose would be due.  I haven't asked my new employer what their plan is for vaccines yet. I will be teaching clinicals in the hospital so I should still count as a healthcare worker.

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
My 53yo sister who lives in CO and works in billing/fraud investigations for an insurance conglomerate got the first dose yesterday. She works in an office, not a hospital.  That's a pretty flexible definition of healthcare workers.

GillyMack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Moderna given yesterday at an elder care assisted living yesterday where a lively 90 year old friend lives (New Orleans).  Going to residents and staff.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
My parents (80 and 81) live in a senior living community in Vermont; everyone there who filled out the paperwork will be vaccinated between January and February. Pfizer vaccine. First dose for Mom and Dad will be Feb 3 with the second dose 2 weeks later. I'm thrilled.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
I have two family members who have received it.  One is in their 50s and works in a healthcare system, but does not have patient contact.  Doses had been administered to all who had patient contact and staff were offered the vaccine so my family member accepted the offer.  Other family member is a nurse in the NICU and received theirs as well.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
My grandma who is 100 years old and lives in an independent living facility in Iowa just got her first vaccination yesterday.  She said they did everyone who lives in her building and the staff. 

DizzyDaisies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I got my first Moderna dose today! I work for a hospital, but work from home and have 0 patient contact. I was pleasantly surprised to receive the email invite to schedule my appointment - I figured I’d have a bit longer of a wait. I am thankful to have received the vaccine and believe the vaccine is really our only option for getting this virus under control.

My husband should be in the next phase after healthcare workers and nursing facility residents. So we’re hoping he can get a vaccine Jan/Feb.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
My dd works in a hospital lab and says she’s scheduled for her shot on Wednesday. Her hospital system is urging all workers to be vaccinated.

Dh and I are both 1b and hoping that we’ll be vaccinated by the end of the month.

henramdrea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I got mine yesterday.   RN at a big hospital.   We were prioritized based on exposure,  so nurses, docs,  techs,  respiratory therapists with direct exposure to COVID patients,  plus housekeeping and other staff who went into the rooms.   Next was other inpatient and outpatient staff.   I wasn't initially in the first group,  but we ended up having enough doses that they didn't have to ration like they thought they might at first.

My only reaction has been a sore arm. Worse than flu shot,  not as bad as tetanus shot.

I got mine last weekend.  These are my exact thoughts on it as well.  I also got the Pfizer vacc.  Scheduled on the 16th of Jan for the second dose.  Daily, close, hospital contact for me.
We'll see how it goes on the second dose.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
Got the Pfizer shot on Tuesday. I'm a primary care doc in a congregate setting with confirmed covid cases. Some arm soreness, which wasn't a big deal at all. Did feel kind of tired and crappy the next day, but was completely fine the day after that.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
tried to sign up my 72 year old dad for the vaccination, signups started today at 0900 ET.

first their website crashed.
then when it was up, when I picked a location, the calendar would fail to display; this was for all locations.
then I called their phone line; constant busy signal.
later the site had a message saying they were fixing issues so they took it down, and that people should call.
but that busy signal...
and then the neighboring county had similar problems...

last mile logistics and delivery is hard... our Guvnah is the epitome of brain failure, and local gov has to follow state guidelines.

fudgety fudge.

my uncle got the shot last week (he's a doc). bro is supposed to get it this week, I think (doc). they both make hospital visits and surgeries as well as office consults.
wondering if I'll be able to get the shot at my DoD workplace.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Ontario Canada not US.  I know an EMT who has been vaccinated, not because she is an EMT but because she has volunteered to give vaccinations in nursing homes.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
99 yr old mother in law is scheduled for mid-month.
My 47 yr old mentally disabled daughter is scheduled for this coming Friday.

We have a number of friends and acquaintances who are in medicine and quite a few have indicated they've already gotten theirs.