Author Topic: Recommendation please: best introductory book for these concepts?  (Read 1340 times)

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey all,

I'd like to gift a book to a family member that introduces FI/RE and MMM concepts.  Having been immersed in this stuff for awile now, it's hard for me to recognize where is a good starting place for someone not already into this stuff.  Personally, I got into it gently, not all at once, and MMM was the last step. 

Dave Ramsey would be too small, and not what I really want to convey.
Your Money Or Your Life might be good--I haven't really read it (only flipped through), and reading it at this point would be a totally different experience than if it was someone's first real introduction to this stuff.  Not sure if it's too severe or if it starts with too much "homework" and doesn't get to the good stuff soon enough.

Are there others?  Anybody with a blog and a book?

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Recommendation please: best introductory book for these concepts?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
More info, if anyone wants it:

I've already conversed with this family member about frugality, and linked them to pages from MMM and ERE.  She was...well, not exactly dismissive, but certainly not especially receptive.  While she doesn't fit the typical complainy-pants profile, she did seem to find the the whole thing rather annoying in a pseudo-complainypants kind of way. 

However, she changed her tune when I spilled that I had paid off $20k of debt in 8 months.  That, she found inspiring (because I'm a regular person who didn't start with the same advantages that MMM/Jacob did), but she found both of them more off-putting than inspiring.

Very ironic, right, since they are reason I paid off $20k of debt in 8 months.

She is both open-minded and very critical-thinking (hence the "pseudo-complainypants"--the points she made were valid, but I thought she was missing the big picture).  She is highly research-oriented, can nitpick any detail to pieces, and loves planning.  Also deeply in debt, though I don't know why (could be valid reasons, could be spendypants.  I think spendypants, but she loves finance and got a master's in it, so it could also be valid reasons.)  Family with 3 kids, lives in a HCOL area.  In other words, she won't reject anything before checking it out, but she can poke holes in any argument, and if she ever got the FI/RE bug, she could probably out-plan the planniest among us. 

Their fam just moved coast-to-coast for new job opportunities. Hubby now works for Google, and she got a job she likes too.  They made the move bc it should be a financial boon for them.  I feel if ever there were a time to dangle the Frugal Life bait again, it would be now-ish, when their outlook is optimistic instead of pessimistic.  But where to start???

Also, I know it's their life and they'll live it as they see fit.  I just hate not to try to share again, if having the knowledge would mean their lives could be better, and if the only reason I'm not sharing is that I don't want to "bother" anybody.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!