Author Topic: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?  (Read 92801 times)

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?
« Reply #600 on: April 05, 2020, 03:16:00 AM »
Right.  I should have said negative pressure ventilator, not iron lung which is very old terminology.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: April 05, 2020, 03:30:20 AM »
Right.  I should have said negative pressure ventilator, not iron lung which is very old terminology.

You're right about covid being a near death sentence if you're already on a ventilator, though. If your lung function is that compromised already, you don't have a lot of hope of recovery from something like covid. Stranger things happen every day in hospitals, though. Definitely not a reason to give up on someone. People you're 100% sure will die, don't. People who you're 100% sure will live, don't. And every so often someone gives birth with no idea they're pregnant. You just never know.

Caroline PF

• Stubble
« Reply #602 on: April 05, 2020, 07:49:36 AM »
OK, got it, thanks.  So more like the iron lung option I was thinking about but adaptable for the ICU sedated use.

???
Here in the US, I have never seen a negative pressure ventilator in use. Essentially 100% of ventilators are positive pressure ventilators, whether they are for ICU use or home use.

Positive pressure does not mean you need sedation.

T-Money$

• Stubble
« Reply #603 on: April 05, 2020, 08:15:14 AM »
https://reason.com/2020/04/03/what-percentage-of-covid-19-patients-are-likely-to-die/

"I've looked at all the models. I've spent a lot of time on the models. They don't tell you anything. You can't really rely upon models," said Dr. Anthony Fauci...

From the American Journal of Epidemiology in 2009:

"Because major public health decisions are made and population programs are promoted on the basis of estimates from these statistical methods, investment in their careful validation is essential to guide rational public policy decisions. Until then, their limitations should be made explicit and estimates used cautiously."

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #604 on: April 05, 2020, 08:19:02 AM »
A bit OT, but since iron lungs were mentioned, I thought I'd share this article I came across recently. There are STILL polio survivors in the US who depend on iron lungs!

https://gizmodo.com/the-last-of-the-iron-lungs-1819079169

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: April 05, 2020, 10:38:31 AM »
Interesting perspective.   From what I’ve seen in America the most medical care is overwhelmingly spent on people that are in the end phases of life.   Treatments become invasive and very expensive when the odds of success are exceedingly low.  I never understood this.  “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cures” is not something practiced in American medicine, or at least not something taken seriously.

A couple of years ago at a medical conference, it was shared that 25% of money spent on medical care in the U.S. is spent on people in the last year of their life.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: April 05, 2020, 10:48:37 AM »

A couple of years ago at a medical conference, it was shared that 25% of money spent on medical care in the U.S. is spent on people in the last year of their life.

This wouldn't surprise me.  I had one aunt and uncle die in the last year.  Both in their upper 80s, both had multiple hospitalizations and each had at least one nursing home stay.  Uncle had 5 surgeries in his last 8 days of life.  Aunt was miserable for at least the last year of her life and went thru so much suffering.  So much for dignity. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #607 on: April 05, 2020, 11:16:15 AM »
@SwordGuy in my culture that would be a very unusual choice, but of course everyone can make their own choices. A close relative of mine has passed away from Covid-19 and they were basically given that exact prognosis + the information about what their expected quality of life would be afterwards. They chose no ICU and passed away about a week later with their children by their bedside. No ICU had been in their medical directive since they were about 70 and that's pretty common around here. If I was in the situation where I had a 85% odds of dying alone in ICU and 15% of surviving but bedridden in a nursing home I think my choice is clear.

Maybe I missed it, but the choice, as I understood it, was 15% life and recovery vs die.     Bedridden in a nursing home would be pretty awful.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #608 on: April 05, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »
My neighbor said she wants everyone to be forced stay home until there is a vaccine.  I pointed out that could be 18 months and it did not influence her one little bit, she just doubled down.  She is 100% unaffected and will get paid no matter what because she works for the city government.  She has no children to deal with at home, either.  She is very happy watching all this control over movement and restrictions on grocery purchases just like it would be in Cuba, a much-admired country in her mind.  She totally digs that our greenhouse gases are down without regard to any other consideration.     

Most people operate from their own narrow perspective and are prone to panic and will not engage in critical thinking even as an exercise.  They do not have the ability to weigh a health impact vs. an economic one vs. environmental one and can only do all-this or all-that type of thinking without nuance.  And virtue signal first, always first.  Can we talk about a blended or balanced approach and how to manage things?  Nope.  Until it affects her personally she will not change her mind, and if it does affect her she will decide it was someone else's fault, especially politicians she doesn't agree with.  She is not big on personal responsibility or sacrifice and seems to be loving her stay at home vacation.  Anyone who disagrees must be one of those deplorables, that is as big as her mind can ever get.  Too bad.   

I found it interesting how people reveal themselves when bad things happen, and I won't forget who they really are after this is over.             

In my experience, the trait of "don't care about it until it affects me" runs much more strongly among the conservatives.   That's why they oppose a social safety net.    And I know a bunch who "unvirtue signal", for example, buying things to put on their truck that belch smoke to "own them libtards" or making bigoted slurs whenever they think they can get away with it.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #609 on: April 05, 2020, 12:26:00 PM »
My neighbor said she wants everyone to be forced stay home until there is a vaccine.  I pointed out that could be 18 months and it did not influence her one little bit, she just doubled down.  She is 100% unaffected and will get paid no matter what because she works for the city government.  She has no children to deal with at home, either.  She is very happy watching all this control over movement and restrictions on grocery purchases just like it would be in Cuba, a much-admired country in her mind.  She totally digs that our greenhouse gases are down without regard to any other consideration.     

Most people operate from their own narrow perspective and are prone to panic and will not engage in critical thinking even as an exercise.  They do not have the ability to weigh a health impact vs. an economic one vs. environmental one and can only do all-this or all-that type of thinking without nuance.  And virtue signal first, always first.  Can we talk about a blended or balanced approach and how to manage things?  Nope.  Until it affects her personally she will not change her mind, and if it does affect her she will decide it was someone else's fault, especially politicians she doesn't agree with.  She is not big on personal responsibility or sacrifice and seems to be loving her stay at home vacation.  Anyone who disagrees must be one of those deplorables, that is as big as her mind can ever get.  Too bad.   

I found it interesting how people reveal themselves when bad things happen, and I won't forget who they really are after this is over.             

In my experience, the trait of "don't care about it until it affects me" runs much more strongly among the conservatives.   That's why they oppose a social safety net.    And I know a bunch who "unvirtue signal", for example, buying things to put on their truck that belch smoke to "own them libtards" or making bigoted slurs whenever they think they can get away with it.

They're the ones that will drink your last beer too! 

T-Money$

• Stubble
« Reply #610 on: April 05, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »

My alcoholic/chain smoking parents who have destroyed their health and are only kept alive with modern medicine feel the same way.   Everything should be closed down, families made to stay at home, bankruptcy and poverty widespread so they don’t have to be infected.   They have defined benefit pensions, haven’t saved a penny in their life, so personal responsibility is not something they’ve ever come to know.

Everyone should be wearing a mask, but God forbid they can’t drink that bottle of wine a night or smoke those packs of cigarettes...why, that would be a police state.

Data about health risks and disease is not something they can understand, they rather fill themselves with a New York Times OP-ED that blames politician/ideologue “XYZ” for their self inflicted misery and unhappiness.

My parents are in a high risk group, but even with that said their chances of survival if infected are better than 50/50.  They are elderly and ill, and fight death off as much as possible considering their destructive behavior.   So much so they haven’t enjoyed life in years.

I find it fascinating people are psychologically OK with destroying their own health, yet demand society massively alter behavior so they can avoid what amounts to a slight increase in risk.  I still can’t wrap my head around it quite frankly.

Perhaps my above example is a poor one as alcoholism is a psychiatric disease.  Otherwise rational and educated people I know have latched onto beliefs that don’t have any rational justification.   Fear doesn’t stop death, but it does stop life.   And worrying doesn’t take away today’s troubles, but it does take away from today’s serenity.

I often read the writings of our Founding Fathers and philosophers like Thoreau and wonder, how did America get here?  On the surface I find it very ugly and spiritually unhealthy.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:46:30 PM by egillespie »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #611 on: April 05, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
@SwordGuy in my culture that would be a very unusual choice, but of course everyone can make their own choices. A close relative of mine has passed away from Covid-19 and they were basically given that exact prognosis + the information about what their expected quality of life would be afterwards. They chose no ICU and passed away about a week later with their children by their bedside. No ICU had been in their medical directive since they were about 70 and that's pretty common around here. If I was in the situation where I had a 85% odds of dying alone in ICU and 15% of surviving but bedridden in a nursing home I think my choice is clear.

Maybe I missed it, but the choice, as I understood it, was 15% life and recovery vs die.     Bedridden in a nursing home would be pretty awful.

The thing is, no one knows exactly how people recover from Covid-19 yet.

But what we do know is that muscle tissue breaks down fast when people are in hospital, that people with Covid-19 often spend weeks in the ICU on ventilators (which is unusually long) - so long that they need to learn how to breath again - that in general 50% of people in the ICU never get back to their previous health levels. So it's unlikely that the survival rate is going to be the same as the recovery rate. And the older people are, the smaller their chances of a good quality of life seem to be. So a previously healthy older person may well end up in a nursing home.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: April 05, 2020, 03:52:48 PM »

The phrase that is used on many of the support forums for people with crappy family members is "When people show/tell you who they are, believe them". When people are stressed and scared, that's when they show you who they really are, they just can't help it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #613 on: April 05, 2020, 03:58:41 PM »

The thing is, no one knows exactly how people recover from Covid-19 yet.

But what we do know is that muscle tissue breaks down fast when people are in hospital, that people with Covid-19 often spend weeks in the ICU on ventilators (which is unusually long) - so long that they need to learn how to breath again - that in general 50% of people in the ICU never get back to their previous health levels. So it's unlikely that the survival rate is going to be the same as the recovery rate. And the older people are, the smaller their chances of a good quality of life seem to be. So a previously healthy older person may well end up in a nursing home.

I saw an article about a 6 year old boy with cystic fibrosis who had coronavirus. It was remarkably uninformative, I couldn't tell if he'd had a mild or severe case. But the thing that went through my mind was at what cost? That boy's lungs were already under assault, and while I know treatments for CF have improved, that doesn't change the underlying baseline of respiratory destruction his body is trying to do. I wonder how many years of health the virus, no matter how severe or mild it was, took from him. I wonder if he'll be dead in 10 years because of the damage. I hope not. We just don't have the data yet.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #614 on: April 05, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »
A tiger at the Bronx zoo has tested for coronavirus.

This is interesting information, especially combined with a recent Chinese study that seems to confirm that Covid-19 can be transmitted to domestic cats.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #615 on: April 05, 2020, 04:44:30 PM »
That’s not good. Hopefully cats can’t transmit it to us!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #616 on: April 05, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »

I often read the writings of our Founding Fathers and philosophers like Thoreau and wonder, how did America get here?  On the surface I find it very ugly and spiritually unhealthy.

A prescient Alexis de Tocqueville knew how America would "get here,"  for instance, the ~$22trillion national debt.

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

"The health of a democratic society may be measured by the quality of functions performed by private citizens."

"Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom."

"Nothing is more wonderful than the art of being free, but nothing is harder to learn how to use than freedom."   Alexis de Tocqueville

Wikipedia

Alexis Charles Henri Clérel, comte de Tocqueville, colloquially known as Tocqueville, was a French aristocrat, diplomat, political scientist and historian.

He is best known for his works Democracy in America and The Old Regime and the Revolution.

Born: July 29, 1805, Paris, France
Died: April 16, 1859, Cannes, France
Nationality: French
Education: Lycée Fabert, University of Paris

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #617 on: April 06, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »
So now a WalMart security guard in Quebec is in critical condition in hospital because some jerk didn't take kindly to being told only either he or his wife, but not both, could enter the store.  He decided that running the guard down with his car was an appropriate response.  He faces a range of charges but not attempted murder, which is what I think he should be.  Hopefully the prison where he is put will have a circulating virus, because the irony would just be perfect.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #618 on: April 06, 2020, 11:10:02 AM »

15% survival rate was based off the earliest small study in Wuhan, China when they were overwhelmed. UK and US studies have survival rates after going on a ventilator of 33-50%.

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #619 on: April 06, 2020, 10:20:26 PM »
One thing that really can affect our future is trust between nations.  Now I'm thinking of how medical supplies are shipped around the world - or not shipped.

In the US, there has been some talk confication of stuff headed for other countries from 3M I think, and in Europe one manufacturer (Mölnlycke) had a logtistics center in France which lead to that the French tried to grab a hold of supplies headed for e.g. Italy and Spain.  This French situation seems resolved now, thank god. 

But what will the long term effects be of trust between countries?

I think after this the balance of power in the world will definitely have shifted from the USA to China. That's been going on for a while, but Trump has adopted an America first policy now, while China is generous. They are sending loads of medical supplies to Europe.
snip

How many of them work?

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/31/list-countries-faulty-coronavirus-supplies-china/

pumpkinlantern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #620 on: April 07, 2020, 01:35:19 AM »

The US obsession with ventilators is interesting.  It reflects the American approach to health care - spending tons of money and resources with heroic measures at the end of life, but neglecting prevention.  It makes way more sense to approach the problem from the front end and prevent people from getting sick in the first place.  In "normal" life, this would be things like smoking cessation, alcohol in moderation, reducing child poverty/violence, eating healthy/exercise, reducing obesity etc.  In a pandemic, this involves very good public health measures and infection control.  If just a fraction of the trillion of dollars being spent now had been spent on widespread (free) testing, aggressive contact tracing, and isolation (as well as good PPE for health care workers to prevent high-risk spread in hospitals and long-term care facilities), death rates would be low and we wouldn't need massive amounts of money spent on ventilators and economic "stimulus".

For those wondering what the end game is... Given where we are now with widespread community transmission, I think the only option is to "flatten the curve" as much as possible with blunt tools like mass quarantine and shelter in place orders temporarily in order to prevent excessive numbers of people from dying and from overwhelming the health care system (which is what we are doing now).  In order to open up the economy, we need to ramp up testing dramatically (this will be made easier by the new rapid diagnostic tests where we can get results in <1 hr) so that we can isolate the sick to prevent spread (which is what we should have done in the first place but missed the opportunity 1-2 months ago) and allow non-sick people to return to work.  Higher risk groups such as the elderly or immunocompromised will continue some form of self-isolation probably for the next year or so.  If we don't do this, we risk having second or third waves of disease.  Things will finally return to normal once we obtain a working vaccine.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #621 on: April 07, 2020, 03:06:13 AM »

The US obsession with ventilators is interesting.  It reflects the American approach to health care - spending tons of money and resources with heroic measures at the end of life, but neglecting prevention.

Yeah there's no money in prevention. How will a drug company, or medical device manufacturer, or hospital corporation make billions of dollars profit if everyone is healthy?

That shouldn't be a serious question, but given the system in place it probably is.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #622 on: April 07, 2020, 05:07:11 AM »
Will we die?

Yes we all will.  Just a matter of time

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #623 on: April 07, 2020, 05:41:07 AM »
Yeah there's no money in prevention. How will a drug company, or medical device manufacturer, or hospital corporation make billions of dollars profit if everyone is healthy?
As I understand it, there are already some insurance companies giving people discounts if they wear step counters - people who wear step counters tend to do more steps, ie be more active, and when coming from a base of "fuck all", even a small increase can make a big difference. As well, it's been shown that when people are more active they tend to eat better.

This sort of thing could be extended to participation in gym programmes or sports teams, or the person recording their food consumption in some app, or you could scan your health insurance card to get a discount on both food and insurance (after some spending threshold) at nominated healthy food stores - though reporting and privacy issues would be significant, I should think.

It can be done, but it requires imagination, intelligence and effort, traits which are in short supply in the bureaucratic world.

Or you could just socialise healthcare, there's a reason our governments subsidise so many prevention activities, come crashing down on smoking, etc.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 05:44:03 AM by Kyle Schuant »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #624 on: April 07, 2020, 05:58:11 AM »
As I understand it, there are already some insurance companies giving people discounts if they wear step counters - people who wear step counters tend to do more steps, ie be more active, and when coming from a base of "fuck all", even a small increase can make a big difference. As well, it's been shown that when people are more active they tend to eat better.

This sort of thing could be extended to participation in gym programmes or sports teams, or the person recording their food consumption in some app, or you could scan your health insurance card to get a discount on both food and insurance (after some spending threshold) at nominated healthy food stores - though reporting and privacy issues would be significant, I should think.

It can be done, but it requires imagination, intelligence and effort, traits which are in short supply in the politicalbureaucratic world.

Or you could just socialise healthcare, there's a reason our governments subsidise so many prevention activities, come crashing down on smoking, etc.
FTFY

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #625 on: April 07, 2020, 07:00:31 AM »
Will we die?

No way.  Based on my extensive research, I've come up with the following graph of my life:

A line of best fit (that predicts the future based on past events) shows that I'll never die.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #626 on: April 07, 2020, 07:27:09 AM »
Will we die?

No way.  Based on my extensive research, I've come up with the following graph of my life:

A line of best fit (that predicts the future based on past events) shows that I'll never die.

I had test your data to ensure it was correct.  I only trended out to 250 years but seems that, based on history, I too will live forever

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #627 on: April 07, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
Will we die?

I had test your data to ensure it was correct.  I only trended out to 250 years but seems that, based on history, I too will live forever

Thanks for inadvertently getting the “Fame” theme song stuck in my head. “...I’m gonna live forever...baby remember my name...”

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #628 on: April 07, 2020, 07:58:38 AM »
Will we die?

Checks pulse.

So far, so good.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #629 on: April 07, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »
I too have impeccable record of not dying. 

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #630 on: April 07, 2020, 11:54:38 AM »
Hard to top the statements from these idiots who posted on my local NextDoor forum:

"I won't be staying home.  I will be exercising my constitutional rights.  If you want to stay home feel free to do so but stop encouraging these tyrants undermining the liberty of innocent people. …"

"Fear mongering.  Are you aware the government lies?"

and my personal favorite:  "Bill Gates funded this virus."

No words.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #631 on: April 07, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »
Hard to top the statements from these idiots who posted on my local NextDoor forum:

"I won't be staying home.  I will be exercising my constitutional rights.  If you want to stay home feel free to do so but stop encouraging these tyrants undermining the liberty of innocent people. …"

No words.

Ooohhh. Are you ready? I think I can top those.

Check out this gem that I came across on Facebook the other day:

The Lockdown is permanent... ONLY essential Businesses will be allowed to exist from this point on.

Social distancing is permanent... all social interactions will be done online. This is why Facebook purchased VR company Oculus Rift, and why Elon Musk is developing Brain Computer Interface with Neuralink.

The real reason why they are saying "social distancing" is because the Artificial Intelligence Human Tracking system they have for the 5G roll out requires distance between people to be able to fully track everybody.

This is a KNOWN issue in the tech world with the Human Tracking systems that Crowd Density causes the AI to lose track and has problems identifying people in large groups. They are using the Virus scare tactic in order to push people into the behavior of this so they can get the AI system tracking everybody without failure. (And I do mean EVERYBODY... google SpaceX Starlink).

Current Debt based Economy is going to be allowed to completely Crash with the CoronaVirus Global Lockdown being used as the excuse.

System waiting in the wings to replace it, will be a 100% Digital Currency.

A Universal Basic Income will be available ONLY to those who have taken the Bill Gates backed Digital Implant tied to Vaccine Records.

If you are NOT needed by or qualified to work for businesses classed as 'Essential', you will NOT receive the Universal Basic Income and will be allowed to STARVE.

Point Blank, this is their plan.

You have been warned.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #632 on: April 07, 2020, 12:18:28 PM »
Apparently they are bring the virus in by rail

(don't bother checking this on Snopes ... they've already been discredited by foodbabe (https://foodbabe.com/do-you-trust-snopes-you-wont-after-reading-how-they-work-with-monsanto-operatives/comment-page-1/) ;P

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: April 07, 2020, 12:20:21 PM »
Brought this to mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

In this case though it might be a Poe, but certain to be an actual belief in many if not most cases.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #634 on: April 07, 2020, 12:57:48 PM »

(don't bother checking this on Snopes ... they've already been discredited by foodbabe (https://foodbabe.com/do-you-trust-snopes-you-wont-after-reading-how-they-work-with-monsanto-operatives/comment-page-1/) ;P

It's those damned trains that come in straight from China!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #635 on: April 07, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »

It can be done, but it requires imagination, intelligence and effort, traits which are in short supply in the politicalbureaucratic world.

FTFY

Yes. Because an insurance people wants healthy people paying premiums, instead of unhealthy people. It reduces claims costs, and hence increases profits.

Now if a drug company encouraged people to wean themselves off medication, then I’ll sit up and take notice.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #636 on: April 07, 2020, 05:43:37 PM »

She still has an audience?

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: April 07, 2020, 07:23:38 PM »
My prediction:  the next shortage will be tinfoil because there are so many who are going to need it for their hats.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #638 on: April 07, 2020, 07:48:34 PM »
My prediction:  the next shortage will be tinfoil because there are so many who are going to need it for their hats.

Start a rumor that the 5G towers will fry their brains because of the foil.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #639 on: April 08, 2020, 03:29:45 AM »

Start a rumor that the 5G towers will fry their brains because of the foil.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/06/at-least-20-uk-phone-masts-vandalised-over-false-5g-coronavirus-claims

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #641 on: April 09, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »

No words.
Good to know that the idiocy is not just isolated to my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• Magnum Stache

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #645 on: April 15, 2020, 11:31:12 AM »
Just catching up on this thread... @Villanelle, is there an update on your friend and her father?

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2020, 11:42:44 AM »
good luck with this:
https://www.sciencealert.com/new-study-suggests-repeated-bouts-of-social-distancing-may-be-needed-until-2022

i can't believe this needed a study. wasn't this readily apparent like even before we ever had a shutdown?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2020, 11:46:29 AM »
good luck with this:
https://www.sciencealert.com/new-study-suggests-repeated-bouts-of-social-distancing-may-be-needed-until-2022

i can't believe this needed a study. wasn't this readily apparent like even before we ever had a shutdown?

Not to everyone. A family member has passed away from Covid-19 and we had a very small funeral with 10 people there. Someone was trying to organize a memorial in early June "when all of this is over and all the elderly family members can be there". Sure, in June this is all over and our elderly with serious health issues can safely go to church then.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »
good luck with this:

Not to everyone. A family member has passed away from Covid-19 and we had a very small funeral with 10 people there. Someone was trying to organize a memorial in early June "when all of this is over and all the elderly family members can be there". Sure, in June this is all over and our elderly with serious health issues can safely go to church then.
Oh, Imma, so sorry for your loss.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #649 on: April 15, 2020, 12:01:35 PM »
good luck with this:

I'm so sorry, Imma.

And you're absolutely right, this will not be over by June. My family just cancelled its annual summer reunion at the end of July.