Author Topic: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?  (Read 92521 times)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?
« Reply #850 on: April 24, 2020, 06:58:28 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #851 on: April 24, 2020, 07:35:06 AM »
Today in "Coronavirus: how can people be so incredibly stupid"
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/24/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-disinfectant-sunlight-science/index.html

Is Donald Trump saying something stupid (and potentially dangerous) even news any more?  This is a daily occurrence.  :P

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #852 on: April 24, 2020, 07:43:48 AM »
I'm seeing a lot of people wearing gloves and smoking while driving.  And also people coming out of grocery stores with gloves on, putting their groceries in their car, then proceeding to smoke with their gloves on. 

One of the owners of the company just came into the lab with gloves on, a bandana face mask, and an energy drink.  He proceeds to pull the mask down and drink his drink while standing directly next to some employees.  I guess the mask and gloves are for show only?

I was in the grocery store a couple of weeks back and an older woman was coughing away into her gloved hands.    She saw me watching and said, "oops, I'm supposed to cough into my elbow".

At the entrance, store staff were screening people to make sure they hadn't been out of the country.

I think these people have confused the purpose of the mask and gloves with a fashion statement!    Were they wearing designer masks?

I don't understand why you would wear gloves.  Basically, assume that your hands are infected as soon as you leave the house.  Don't touch your face, don't eat, don't do anything until you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.  If you have trouble with this, wear a mask.  It helps you to remember to do all that.  To the best of my understanding, gloves are of limited benefit in preventing transmission.  The virus isn't going to absorb through your hands.

This. I carry hand sanitizer and lysol wipes to the grocery store. I figure that sanitizing my hands on the way in and out and wiping down my cart, the credit card machine, and anything else I handle while shopping is more effective.

Not everyone has hand sanitizer or Lysol wipes. You use what you have be it wipes or gloves or bread bags.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #853 on: April 24, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »
I'm seeing a lot of people wearing gloves and smoking while driving.  And also people coming out of grocery stores with gloves on, putting their groceries in their car, then proceeding to smoke with their gloves on. 

One of the owners of the company just came into the lab with gloves on, a bandana face mask, and an energy drink.  He proceeds to pull the mask down and drink his drink while standing directly next to some employees.  I guess the mask and gloves are for show only?

I was in the grocery store a couple of weeks back and an older woman was coughing away into her gloved hands.    She saw me watching and said, "oops, I'm supposed to cough into my elbow".

At the entrance, store staff were screening people to make sure they hadn't been out of the country.

I think these people have confused the purpose of the mask and gloves with a fashion statement!    Were they wearing designer masks?

I don't understand why you would wear gloves.  Basically, assume that your hands are infected as soon as you leave the house.  Don't touch your face, don't eat, don't do anything until you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.  If you have trouble with this, wear a mask.  It helps you to remember to do all that.  To the best of my understanding, gloves are of limited benefit in preventing transmission.  The virus isn't going to absorb through your hands.

This. I carry hand sanitizer and lysol wipes to the grocery store. I figure that sanitizing my hands on the way in and out and wiping down my cart, the credit card machine, and anything else I handle while shopping is more effective.

Not everyone has hand sanitizer or Lysol wipes. You use what you have be it wipes or gloves or bread bags.

I don't use any of what you're talking about, not because we don't have bread bags . . . but because they're all kinda useless.

I wear a home made cloth mask in the grocery store that I affix to my head before entering.  Then I get my groceries with bare hands, drive home, unload my groceries into the quarentine area where they will not be touched for three days.  My wife wipes down/disinfects any areas of the house that I touched, while I shower.  My face mask and clothing are then washed and ready for the next trip.

No concerns about transmission from inside my car, as it won't be used for more than a week when I next get groceries.

At what point would wearing gloves help anything?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #854 on: April 24, 2020, 08:08:23 AM »
I find that if I wear gloves in the store then I can put what I've bought in the boot of the car, toss the gloves in after them and get in the car hopefully virus-free.  Anything not perishable stays in the boot for 3 days, and no need to sanitise anything - although an outer layer of clothes does usually come off to go in a dropbox for three days before I get in the house, and I do wash hands and face as well just in case.  The car is then immediately available for emergencies, and it all saves on sanitiser too, which I have not got, just a damp soapy washcloth in a Tupperware in the car boot.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #855 on: April 24, 2020, 08:10:01 AM »
Gloves - my grocery store has hand sanitizer and wipes for the grocery cart, no need for gloves.  Bulk Barn has gloves - you enter, you put on gloves, you grab your cart, an employee grabs another cart and between the 2 carts you are 6 feet apart, employee does all the food transfers, when you leave you put the cart back, you take off your gloves.

Both work.

Both mean I bring food in and put it in its quarantine spot, wash my hands, take my shower, wash my clothes.  My N95 mask (had it from an old project) gets to dry out and not be used for several days.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #856 on: April 24, 2020, 09:29:17 AM »
I find that if I wear gloves in the store then I can put what I've bought in the boot of the car, toss the gloves in after them and get in the car hopefully virus-free.  Anything not perishable stays in the boot for 3 days, and no need to sanitise anything - although an outer layer of clothes does usually come off to go in a dropbox for three days before I get in the house, and I do wash hands and face as well just in case.  The car is then immediately available for emergencies, and it all saves on sanitiser too, which I have not got, just a damp soapy washcloth in a Tupperware in the car boot.

This is what I do.  It prevents me from potentially contaminating the car, the garage door button, and the door going in and out of the house from the garage.  I leave the gloves in the car.  When I don't wear gloves, then I have to decontaminate all the above surfaces whenever I go out to a store, and it's a pain.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #857 on: April 24, 2020, 10:00:22 AM »

This is what I do.  It prevents me from potentially contaminating the car, the garage door button, and the door going in and out of the house from the garage.  I leave the gloves in the car.  When I don't wear gloves, then I have to decontaminate all the above surfaces whenever I go out to a store, and it's a pain.

I don't care about contaminating the car . . . because I'm only using it to get groceries every week or two and the virus doesn't last more than a couple days on surfaces.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #858 on: April 24, 2020, 10:14:30 AM »

I don't care about contaminating the car . . . because I'm only using it to get groceries every week or two and the virus doesn't last more than a couple days on surfaces.

That's fair.  We drive to different city parks to take walks every few days.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #859 on: April 24, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »
I wear 'em, because DH put a box of gloves in my car and asked me to. Good enough for me. BTW, they are the kind d if gloves he always keeps in the garage (he's a painter), not surgical gloves.

FWIW, a doctor friend of mine is confused/marginally upset by all the people wearing gloves, because she says the virus lives much, much longer on glove material than it does on human hands (at least based on what she knows from medical info that was current last week).
I exit the car, put on my mask, pull two gloves out of the box in the back seat, close the door with my hip, lock the car,  put on the gloves just before grabbing a cart and entering the store. When I finish, I unload the groceries into the back of the car, return the cart, peel off the gloves, tucking them together and turning them inside out, go to front of car, remove mask, enter vehicle, drive home. Once there, I wash my hands, unload groceries, dispose of glove ball, then wash my hands again.

But that is not the point. I did not say it was completely effective, or even necessary. It certainly isn't environmentally friendly. I said I do it because DH gave them to me and asked me to use them. Good enough for me. Under the circumstances,  it seems entirely reasonable, even if it only makes him feel better. Of course, he does the same thing.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #860 on: April 24, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »

I wear a home made cloth mask in the grocery store that I affix to my head before entering.  Then I get my groceries with bare hands, drive home, unload my groceries into the quarentine area where they will not be touched for three days.  My wife wipes down/disinfects any areas of the house that I touched, while I shower.  My face mask and clothing are then washed and ready for the next trip.

That's how I do it, as well. Still, DH prefers to wear gloves for picking up groceries but drops them in the bin straight after packing them. I decontaminate stuff separately (we are assuming worst, not probable case of infection).

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #861 on: April 24, 2020, 12:30:22 PM »

I don't use any of what you're talking about, not because we don't have bread bags . . . but because they're all kinda useless.

No concerns about transmission from inside my car, as it won't be used for more than a week when I next get groceries.

Out of curiosity, how do you do with food that needs to be in the fridge and freezer?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #862 on: April 24, 2020, 12:38:21 PM »

Out of curiosity, how do you do with food that needs to be in the fridge and freezer?

Freezer food is almost entirely plastic baggie wrapped - that gets wiped down with a bleach/water mix then goes in the freezer.

Fridge food - the same for things that are plastic covered.  For stuff like apples/oranges/pears/plums they can sit out for a few days in our quarantine area.  Eggs were tricky for us because we didn't want them loose and rolling around the fridge but didn't have a good way to clean the cardboard carton.  Eventually we just kept an old empty carton, and now transfer the eggs into that after wiping them down.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #863 on: April 24, 2020, 01:13:55 PM »

Freezer food is almost entirely plastic baggie wrapped - that gets wiped down with a bleach/water mix then goes in the freezer.

Fridge food - the same for things that are plastic covered.  For stuff like apples/oranges/pears/plums they can sit out for a few days in our quarantine area.  Eggs were tricky for us because we didn't want them loose and rolling around the fridge but didn't have a good way to clean the cardboard carton.  Eventually we just kept an old empty carton, and now transfer the eggs into that after wiping them down.

I don’t go to food stores but I have to admit I have never considered doing all the stuff that you are doing to desinfect stuff and yourself. I put the food in their place after the delivery and this forum was the first time I read about what great length people are going too when shopping.

Eggs don’t need to be in the fridge. They are never in the fridge in stores here. Here the best before date for eggs is set for storage in room temperature but they will last longer in the fridge. Although due to my big egg consumption that is not a problem.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #864 on: April 24, 2020, 01:20:48 PM »
A while ago I read that there were _zero_ confirmed cases of transmission through food items. Does anyone know if that has changed? I wear a mask when grocery shopping, as is now required here, and don't touch my face until I'm home and remove the mask and wash my hands and face. Disinfecting the entire load of groceries, however, seems like a giant pain so until this is confirmed as an avenue for transmission I'm not going to bother.

From what I can tell, this is not a very highly transmissible virus. The CDC risk matrix says:

"Being in the same indoor environment (e.g., a classroom, a hospital waiting room) as a person with symptomatic laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 for a prolonged period of time but not meeting the definition of close contact" is associated with "low" risk of transmission.

"Interactions with a person with symptomatic laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 infection that do not meet any of the high-, medium- or low-risk conditions above, like walking by a person with confirmed COVID-19 or being briefly in the same room as someone with confirmed COVID-19" is associated with "no identifiable risk" of transmission.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #865 on: April 24, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »
A while ago I read that there were _zero_ confirmed cases of transmission through food items. Does anyone know if that has changed? I wear a mask when grocery shopping, as is now required here, and don't touch my face until I'm home and remove the mask and wash my hands and face. Disinfecting the entire load of groceries, however, seems like a giant pain so until this is confirmed as an avenue for transmission I'm not going to bother.

From what I can tell, this is not a very highly transmissible virus. The CDC risk matrix says:

"Being in the same indoor environment (e.g., a classroom, a hospital waiting room) as a person with symptomatic laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 for a prolonged period of time but not meeting the definition of close contact" is associated with "low" risk of transmission.

"Interactions with a person with symptomatic laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 infection that do not meet any of the high-, medium- or low-risk conditions above, like walking by a person with confirmed COVID-19 or being briefly in the same room as someone with confirmed COVID-19" is associated with "no identifiable risk" of transmission.

Our health protection authority tells that that there are now confirmed cases that have gotten transmitted. They say the same thing about packages.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #866 on: April 24, 2020, 01:57:43 PM »

I wear gloves - normal gloves, not latex - when I'm out in flu season, always. Now is not different. I hear a lot of other posters have cars. It's nice for you to have a controlled environment for your transportation, but I do not and am usually out for 3 hours, on and off public transport the whole time. I don't have places to wash my hands, lysol wipes and hand sanitizer have been sold out here since January, and besides it aggravates my eczema.
I'm glad you guys aren't wearing latex gloves and wasting them. But regular gloves are a simple and effective method of reducing exposure that works not just for coronavirus but things like norovirus on which alcohol-based sanitizers have little effect.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #867 on: April 24, 2020, 02:12:45 PM »
I too was under the impression that viruses on groceries, food take out, and mail present minimal risk and that being in close proximity to infected people is orders of magnitude more risky.  Social distancing is absolutely impossible in crowded areas and most people severely underestimate how far 6 feet actually is.  They treat it more like 6 inches, like if you're not kissing the person it's far enough apparently. 

It's kind of perplexing to me that some people at my work are being super anal about hand sanitizer.  They are making gallons and gallons of the stuff for internal company use.  They put up signs in their area requiring everyone to use hand sanitizer when they come in and out, and have propped open all doors that can be left open.  They will put a squirt of sanitizer on their raw hands, then proceed to stand about 1 foot away from another coworker and talk into each other's faces with no masks on.  If someone is infected enough to be shedding viruses onto door handles...you already fucking have it because you won't stay out of each other's faces.   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #868 on: April 24, 2020, 03:07:23 PM »
Eggs don’t need to be in the fridge. They are never in the fridge in stores here. Here the best before date for eggs is set for storage in room temperature but they will last longer in the fridge. Although due to my big egg consumption that is not a problem.

Here they do.  They are at more risk of carrying Salmonella and are washed during packaging and lose the protective coating.  I was surprised when I was in New Zealand that eggs were on regular shelves and never refrigerated.  It is dependent on how the hens are housed and the eggs are processed.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #869 on: April 24, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »
I too was under the impression that viruses on groceries, food take out, and mail present minimal risk and that being in close proximity to infected people is orders of magnitude more risky.  Social distancing is absolutely impossible in crowded areas and most people severely underestimate how far 6 feet actually is.  They treat it more like 6 inches, like if you're not kissing the person it's far enough apparently. 

It's kind of perplexing to me that some people at my work are being super anal about hand sanitizer.  They are making gallons and gallons of the stuff for internal company use.  They put up signs in their area requiring everyone to use hand sanitizer when they come in and out, and have propped open all doors that can be left open.  They will put a squirt of sanitizer on their raw hands, then proceed to stand about 1 foot away from another coworker and talk into each other's faces with no masks on. If someone is infected enough to be shedding viruses onto door handles...you already fucking have it because you won't stay out of each other's faces.
Yah. Crazy making. This week I watched some retired dude (he looked too well-kept to be a binner) poking about in some trash in the the alley with his hands, then reach under his mask to adjust it around the nose. So not only did he just poke around in some garbage (admittedly relatively clean-looking plastic wrap) with his bare hands, he stuck them under his mask immediately. To make sure it was fitted properly.

It's like PEP has become a magical talisman instead of a science-based barrier. "I'm wearing hand-sanitizer, so I can safely breath breathe your COVID-breath!" and "I'm wearing a mask, so I can stick my dirty fingers underneath it! Or wear it under my nose!"
What's especially hard to watch is all these people wasting medical masks that are needed by first responders by using them improperly.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #870 on: April 24, 2020, 07:41:20 PM »

Here they do.  They are at more risk of carrying Salmonella and are washed during packaging and lose the protective coating.  I was surprised when I was in New Zealand that eggs were on regular shelves and never refrigerated.  It is dependent on how the hens are housed and the eggs are processed.

Yeah, we don't wash eggs. That protective coating is very important for the long term health of the egg. We don't even wash them before using them - if you crack them into something you're going to cook what's the point??

Also, I enjoy the teeny weeny feathers you sometimes see sticking to the shell. They're chicken pubes and that makes me laugh.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #871 on: April 24, 2020, 08:18:03 PM »
Also, I enjoy the teeny weeny feathers you sometimes see sticking to the shell. They're chicken pubes and that makes me laugh.

forum.mmm.com really needs emojis.  The ROTFL emoji would work just fine for this one!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #872 on: April 24, 2020, 08:28:08 PM »

Yeah, we don't wash eggs. That protective coating is very important for the long term health of the egg. We don't even wash them before using them - if you crack them into something you're going to cook what's the point??

Glad as I am to be back home, after 3 months in New Zealand this year I really miss it. The people I met. Christmas in warm weather.  The eggs, the ice cream, the pastured meat (yes a lot of good food memories), learning to drive on the left, making it through the mountains with hair-pin curves, the ocean, the . . . . . .

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #873 on: April 24, 2020, 08:35:55 PM »

Glad as I am to be back home, after 3 months in New Zealand this year I really miss it. The people I met. Christmas in warm weather.  The eggs, the ice cream, the pastured meat (yes a lot of good food memories), learning to drive on the left, making it through the mountains with hair-pin curves, the ocean, the . . . . . .

Yeah, we don't call it pastured meat. We just call that meat. Animals here live in fields. Except for poor bloody chickens, because battery farming isn't yet illegal, and poor bloody pigs - although I think sow crates are well on the way out. On the plus side, there are plenty of free range producers and they're not expensive. Its cheaper to keep pigs in a field than in a shed.

As for ice cream, we have this little thing about it actually having to contain a certain percentage of cream to be called ice cream. Otherwise you have to call it a frozen dessert.

Did you notice a difference with bread? That's one thing that was very strange to me about the States - you guys can't make bread.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #874 on: April 25, 2020, 05:37:24 AM »
There's lots of good bread in North America.  It's just that most stuff sold as bread is that terrible factory produced plastic bagged stuff.  Which really should be labelled "bread".

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #875 on: April 25, 2020, 05:41:02 AM »
There's lots of good bread in North America.  It's just that most stuff sold as bread is that terrible factory produced plastic bagged stuff.  Which really should be labelled "bread".
What is it labelled as if it isn’t labelled bread?

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #876 on: April 25, 2020, 05:57:51 AM »

I think the point here is that there is good bread, hiding amongst the crappy loaves of bread.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #877 on: April 25, 2020, 06:37:13 AM »
Of note: the super-spreader event clusters - where 1 infected 100 or more others - have occurred when people were 6 inches from one another, and when they shared eating and drinking implements. They have not occurred when people walked 3 feet from one another.

Funerals with hugging and kissing, weddings, religious festivals, sports events, hours of karaoke, and common tables on cruise ships.

Take those out and the rate of spread is still not zero, but it's less than 1 person infecting 1 other, and the disease will fizzle out, or at least drop down to a low burn.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #878 on: April 25, 2020, 06:46:33 AM »
Did you notice a difference with bread? That's one thing that was very strange to me about the States - you guys can't make bread.

I'm gluten free and I enjoyed the gluten free bread.  I haven't eaten regular bread in decades. There is some good bread in Canada and especially in Quebec (there is a lot of good food in Quebec, as well as the usual junk).

Saying about the States - you guys can't make bread to me is like me saying about Australia - you guys can't make bread to you - wrong country.  Neighbours, yes, same country, no.    ;-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #879 on: April 25, 2020, 06:59:00 AM »

I'm gluten free and I enjoyed the gluten free bread.  I haven't eaten regular bread in decades. There is some good bread in Canada and especially in Quebec (there is a lot of good food in Quebec, as well as the usual junk).

Saying about the States - you guys can't make bread to me is like me saying about Australia - you guys can't make bread to you - wrong country.  Neighbours, yes, same country, no.    ;-)
Someone obviously did not get to try Dave's Killer Bread...

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #880 on: April 25, 2020, 07:15:28 AM »

Oops, sorry, didn't look at your location.... Many apologies. I would hate to be thought of as Australian (joke)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #881 on: April 25, 2020, 08:21:10 AM »

Oops, sorry, didn't look at your location.... Many apologies. I would hate to be thought of as Australian (joke)

You live in earthquake country instead.  ;-)  With A2 milk, I really miss my A2 milk.

I know, we are way into foam territory, but it is more fun thinking about all the yummy NZ food than thinking about Covid-19.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #882 on: April 25, 2020, 09:19:10 AM »

Wonder.

As in, "I Wonder why people would use this air-puffed chalky white mush in place of bread?"

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #883 on: April 25, 2020, 09:56:32 AM »

This. Smaller bakeries and home bakers in the USA certainly make good bread. The mass market dreck sold as bread in supermarkets is really bread in name and appearance only. Plus, after 10 years gluten-free, supermarket bread absolutely stinks. I hate the smell of the bread aisle and can only presume it’s from all the preservatives and dough conditioners.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #884 on: April 25, 2020, 11:49:05 AM »
In Minneapolis they’ve taken the hoops down at the basketball courts, precisely because people were ignoring stay at home orders and shooting hoops down at the park like idiots.

Around here they just put some large zip-ties around the hoop and through the net, along with some caution tape and a sign that the courts are closed.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: April 25, 2020, 02:59:50 PM »
If it makes everyone feel better,  it's not just covid.  I saw a person using a glove when pumping gas who even threw it away after use before getting into his vehicle.  However, he was smoking while pumping the gas.... just reminded me people act like morons in all things...

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #886 on: April 25, 2020, 03:17:00 PM »

Our health protection authority tells that that there are now confirmed cases that have gotten transmitted. They say the same thing about packages.
Can you share a link?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: April 25, 2020, 08:15:58 PM »

This. Smaller bakeries and home bakers in the USA certainly make good bread. The mass market dreck sold as bread in supermarkets is really bread in name and appearance only. Plus, after 10 years gluten-free, supermarket bread absolutely stinks. I hate the smell of the bread aisle and can only presume it’s from all the preservatives and dough conditioners.

Yes, the artisan bakeries are A-MAZE-BALLS. The stuff in the supermarkets is really odd. I mean, our supermarket bread is not great, don't get me wrong, but it's recognisably bread. USA cheap bread is like slices of furniture foam. And it's sweet. Really bizarre product.