Author Topic: Commuting for a week in Colorado (well Denver and Longmont) - help!  (Read 1303 times)

subhobroto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • DIY is Fun
    • subhobroto.co.nr
Apologies for posting this here - I Don't have enough points to post under "Off Topic", so let me know if a mod can move it there (unless this fits)

I'll be on a business trip in Denver next week and be there on both weekends - 13th and 19th, 20th.

Understandably, I would like to travel around the area after work meetings and take some sights in. Before asking for landmarks/places, I wanted to understand transport.

With rental cars being $80+/day, what are some good affordable options to travel around in Denver and Longmont (and to travel from Denver to Longmont and back?)

I intend to use the RTD a bit while in Denver but when it comes to Longmont, I'm really lost.

Help? Suggestions?

I have been bicycling all my life but my wife can't due to injury. I can carry her if I can rent an eBike at a reasonable rate (provided it's legal in Colorado to have her sit in the front with me?)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Re: Commuting for a week in Colorado (well Denver and Longmont) - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 12:00:19 PM »
If you can get to Boulder the Flatiron Flyer connects to Denver and several other areas. Once you get to Denver you can get a lot of places on RTD.
https://www.rtd-denver.com/services/flatiron-flyer

subhobroto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • DIY is Fun
    • subhobroto.co.nr
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »
If you can get to Boulder the Flatiron Flyer connects to Denver and several other areas. Once you get to Denver you can get a lot of places on RTD.

Thank you! I'm planning to travel using the RTD airport day pass on a regular basis.

4 questions:

1. Since I am living near the airport, I think I will have to purchase the most expensive day pass RTD has BUT that should allow me to pretty much travel anywhere in Denver each day - be it local or regional?

2. … but how well connected is Denver via RTD?

3. That said - any recommendations for the Longmont trip? My primary purpose would be visiting the HQ
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:28:42 AM by subhobroto »

subhobroto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • DIY is Fun
    • subhobroto.co.nr
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 07:29:58 AM »

I called the RTD and they confirmed that I can take the train to Longmont!

Now I need to get in invite to the MMM Slack channel - any hints how to get that? I'm excited to meet you all :)

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 08:31:45 AM »
Other than the HQ there is no reason to go to Longmont, its just a regular blue-ish collar town, nothing special about it. Go to Golden or Boulder and downtown Denver, maybe old town littleton, maybe idaho springs or george town,

ETA- go up to vail or down to manitou springs west of colorado springs

or even up to estes park, just dont go to longmont
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:35:56 AM by joe189man »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 05:38:20 AM »
Yes, I’m confused about Longmont as a tourist destination. LOL

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 05:51:29 AM »
Maybe MMM HQ's is in Longmont? Doubles as a tourist destination and coffee stop and co-working facility.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 08:21:32 AM »
Maybe MMM HQ's is in Longmont? Doubles as a tourist destination and coffee stop and co-working facility.

the HQ is in Longmont, i am sure you can find photos of it online, the town of Longmont itself is not a tourist destination and cant recommend it. in all honesty i have not been to the MMM HQ but imagine its just like any other co-working space, certainly not worthy of a dedicated trip in and of itself.

If you want the chance at seeing/meeting the mustache himself, well i cant talk you our of that.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 05:03:19 PM »
The Caldo de Res at Taco Don Jose's in Longmont is excellent. Worth the trip IMHO.

subhobroto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • DIY is Fun
    • subhobroto.co.nr
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 12:43:38 PM »
The Caldo de Res at Taco Don Jose's in Longmont is excellent. Worth the trip IMHO.

Thank you!

It is! That's the sole reason I plan to be travelling to Longmont for.

the HQ is in Longmont, i am sure you can find photos of it online, the town of Longmont itself is not a tourist destination and cant recommend it. in all honesty i have not been to the MMM HQ but imagine its just like any other co-working space, certainly not worthy of a dedicated trip in and of itself.

If you want the chance at seeing/meeting the mustache himself, well i cant talk you our of that.

It would be great to see like minded people and hear their take on certain things in life.

Talking on forums is one thing - speaking face to face is another, completely.

That said, at this point I am completely unsure how MMM HQ recieves visitors. I read there are some scheduled trips for non-members but I live in a completely different state so unless one of those scheduled trips somehow align with the weekend I will be there, it would be a lost opportunity for me.

I have reached out to MMM HQ over email and hope they can help me out for a few minutes.

Here's also a dedicated thread for that: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/any-chance-to-meet-any-of-you-at-the-mmm-headquarters-either-of-19th-2-122586/msg2853296/#msg2853296

There's a slack channel but I am unable to find it. If anyone has it, would appreciate an invite.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:48:22 PM by subhobroto »

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 01:34:36 PM »
There's a local meetup group for events at the MMM HQ.  I've considered going to one since I'm nearby but never seem to have time for it.  Other than those planned events, I can't imagine there's anything spectacular to see there without a bunch of like minded people around for a specific event.  Definitely not trying to take the wind out of your sails but wouldn't want you go to through all of that effort for something that may not be as amazing as you are expecting.

That being said, Lucille's Creole Cafe in Longmont IS pretty awesome...the blood mary is amazing, as well as their spicy iced tea and biscuits and jam.  Lots of delicious things there! 

Hope you have a great trip!

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »

That being said, Lucille's Creole Cafe in Longmont IS pretty awesome...the blood mary is amazing, as well as their spicy iced tea and biscuits and jam.  Lots of delicious things there! 

Lucile's has a few locations in denver as well

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »

Lucile's has a few locations in denver as well

Oh Nice!  Never knew that, good to know!  :)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 03:54:00 PM »
Getting around Denver itself is easy with either Ubers or my favorite, the dock less scooters and bikes  (we happened to use Lime).

Also, it’s an easy train ride from the airport to Union Station, and then you’re in the Cory and can move around. My wife and I were there for 5 days recently and only rented a car one day, to cruise into the mountains and see the sights. The rest of the time was walking, Uber, and scooters.