Author Topic: Comcast Bill and the "Broadcast Fee" Mystery  (Read 5137 times)

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Comcast Bill and the "Broadcast Fee" Mystery
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »
I have the double-play plan on my Comcast account - internet & basic cable.  Internet by choice...cable under duress.  It was the only way to keep the bill low by negotiating a double play price.  Internet alone was WAY more expensive no matter how hard I tried to negotiate. 

We don't even use the basic cable and the cable box is unplugged collecting dust. Last year I noticed this "BROADCAST FEE" OF $1.50.  When i researched it, it was explained as costs being passed on to the consumer due to those mean old TV stations charging so much money to Comcast to transmit their station.

Now, I see for 2015, the Broadcast fee has more than DOUBLED to $3.25, for a service I don't even use! Now I just feel like I am being fleeced out of my money and Comcast has added this as a sneaky line item on our bills. You mean to tell me they had to increase a fee by over 100%?

My town has limited internet options, and those that are available will not suit our internet needs. So, what to do? Just put up with it?  Does anyone else use another carrier that has this "Broadcast Fee" on their bill? Is this just a Comcast thing?

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: Comcast Bill and the "Broadcast Fee" Mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 05:18:54 AM »
It's a fee they charge you for the broadcast channels (the regular ABC, NBC, etc.), the same ones you can pick up over-the-air with an antenna if you're able to.  And yes, it's a Comcast thing as my provider doesn't have this.  What a sham!

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 05:28:06 AM »
I. Hate. Comcast. Cancelled their service.  They cannot provide a refund amount(if you want to pay the portion you owe - not the entire bill) or any sort of cancellation confirmation number to you when you cancel with them. It's nuts.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:48 AM »
Don't like them. They only provide refunds via check, which is absurd since they can do so via your credit card very simply. I said explicitly that I was moving overseas FOR THE MILITARY and they still wouldn't help me out. I was very unhappy with the conversation so I just shut it down since I was arguing about $7 and it wasn't worth upping my blood pressure.

As for the broadcast fee, if you truly can't accept another internet option then you gotta deal with it. But are you 100% sure there isn't another option? Did you read IP's communication superguide?

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
Comcast knows they got you by the balls.  Cancelling would mean having to deal with poor internet.  Take FUCK YOU COMCAST to epic levels by moving across the country to get to a fiber internet town.  Then blog about it and let the world know that a geographic relocation is less a pain in the ass than being a Comcast customer.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »
It's a fee they charge you for the broadcast channels (the regular ABC, NBC, etc.), the same ones you can pick up over-the-air with an antenna if you're able to.  And yes, it's a Comcast thing as my provider doesn't have this.  What a sham!

It may not be a separate line item on your customer bill, but every pay-TV provider has to pay compensation to local stations to re-broadcast their signals. The startup Aereo had a business model that depended on avoiding this cost, and it got shot down by the U.S. Supreme Court last year.

Believe it or not, those local broadcasters periodically raise the amount they demand too. So Comcast is not the only one to blame for that fee.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:46:30 PM by slugline »

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »
Comcast sucks but what are you going to do for internet at home? They have you by the balls. FIOS surprisingly is no better.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »
Comcast offers a $40 25mbps + basic cable channels + HBO + Streampix package here.  It's one of the better deals out there.  Even at it's full price of $61.50 (after taxes and fees) it's still not a bad deal for the speed and channels.  I'll end up switching to a local Fibre outfit soon, but Comcast was happy to renegotiate my promotional rate after my year was up.  They just wanted me to sign up for 2 years of the promotional rate, and I didn't want to sign a 2 year commitment (because I want to cancel once the fibre is in).

cowstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 05:03:00 AM »
My town has limited internet options, and those that are available will not suit our internet needs. So, what to do? Just put up with it?  Does anyone else use another carrier that has this "Broadcast Fee" on their bill? Is this just a Comcast thing?

You can take a couple minutes complain to the city, as Comcast has to deal with them: http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/bacp/provdrs/cable_comm/svcs/cable_televisioncomplaint.html

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 06:22:46 AM »
A basic CHSI option isn't available for less money?

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 10:34:57 AM »
I have negotiated with Comcast like crazy to keep our bill down and our rate is locked in for 1 yr. I guess I just feel like this "broadcast fee" is another way to raise your rates without raising your locked in package rate.  They should just build the broadcast fee into their package price which I am sure other carriers do. It's just a sneaky workaround on their part. 

I guess my main rant is that this fee is for a service I don't even want! 

I have read I.P.'s Superguide extensively.  We are weighing our options here at the homestead, my better-half has been reluctant to change carriers for a multitude of reasons, we will see what happens... 

Thanks for the link Cowstash, I am going to make my voice heard.