Author Topic: Clothes don't look right? The solution is not new clothes  (Read 15583 times)

galaxie

• Bristles
Clothes don't look right? The solution is not new clothes
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »
Folks, I like to look nice in my clothes, and often I think that buying new clothes is the way to achieve that.  But actually?  I've gotten a little pudgy, and today I realized that buying new clothes isn't going to make me feel better about my belly.  I could also stand to have better posture.  So I'm going to focus on fitness for a while.  No new clothes except replacement of old bras, underwear, or socks.  Maybe I'm allowed to take things to the tailor, if they need altering and I can't do it myself.

I nearly put this in the "gauntlet" category, but I know a lot of people here are way more badass than I am about not buying clothes and don't need the challenge.  So really, I want your thoughts and feelings about and how to keep that desire to look nice from tricking you into buying stuff.

amyable

• Bristles
Re: Clothes don't look right? The solution is not new clothes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
When I feel the urge to buy new clothing, I like to reorganize my closet.  I think I shop more out of boredom than for the confidence boost, so it usually quells any itch I have for new clothes.  I don't use pinterest, but I've heard a lot of people use pinning to scratch that shopping itch without actually buying anything.

I have 50 hangers, and once they are full, I'm not allowed to buy anything without selling / donating / repurposing something.  I'm kind of a tomboy and tend to wear the same basic silhouettes again and again.  Fifty pieces is still a ton of clothing, but it feels manageable to me for now. 

I found this post the other day and found it super inspiring:  http://closetconfections.com/2013/01/closet-raid-how-to-create-a-months-worth-of-outfits-using-just-10-items/.  It would be kind of cool to make your own "look book."

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »
Hi Galaxie,

I have been where you are.  I lost weight bought a lot of new clothing then had to gain it back to help with my fertility.  Now I am higher than I wanted to be and bought some clothing but doing my best to refrain as I don't want to purchase any more as I would like to later be able to get back to the lower weight.

Focusing on fitness is really smart as I will say having clothing in multiple sizes in my experience is more annoying as I need to store it somewhere and it was a waste of money.  The fitter I was, the better I looked in clothing too and it also made me like my clothing more. 

As you get to your fitness goal utilizing accessories can be a good way to keep basics that fit you exciting.  Or wearing you clothing in a different way like amyable's link.  If I ever got my act together I think it would be neat to having a clothing swap with some girlfriends to get some new to me things.

Clothing/accessories purchases are my biggest struggle when it comes to staying mustachian.  I am really frugal elsewhere but I will slip up and buy more clothing that I DO NOT NEED.  So  I feel your pain.   

Good luck!!!

c

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:38:59 PM »
I gained weight over the last few years. I would feel just horrible about myself and then go out and buy better fitting (larger) clothes in order to feel better. At one point I decided enough was enough and started getting back in to shape.

As soon as something gets too big I either get it tailored or get rid of it. I found keeping the larger sizes gave me more of an excuse when I stopped making an effort because I still had stuff that fit.

I have far fewer clothes in my closet now and most of the stuff I have left isn't nearly as nice as the things I bought when I was larger, but I feel better about myself and that I look better in the cheaper/older stuff because there's more (less) to work with.

It's hard to explain, but for me I realized that it wasn't about the clothes, it was about how I felt I looked in things. Certain things about my body bothered me and addressing those things made me feel good about what I already had to wear.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:35:39 PM »
I had an epiphany that the clothes I like on other people are not necessarily the same clothes that I like on myself. 

I consciously go for comfort (if you feel comfortable it is easier to look confident), ethically sourced materials (for the most part), quality foundations (seriously, if men had to wear bras there would be options that fit every body readily available), and a smile.  The latter probably does more for the overall look than the clothing. 

I practice a version of Project 333 on a seasonal basis - the past two times I haven't even had 33 clothing items but still felt like I had too many options.  I can't wait for early retirement when I won't feel guilty for having one outfit for every day of the week and nothing more :-)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »
Folks, I like to look nice in my clothes, and often I think that buying new clothes is the way to achieve that.  But actually?  I've gotten a little pudgy, and today I realized that buying new clothes isn't going to make me feel better about my belly.  I could also stand to have better posture.  So I'm going to focus on fitness for a while.  No new clothes except replacement of old bras, underwear, or socks.  Maybe I'm allowed to take things to the tailor, if they need altering and I can't do it myself.

I nearly put this in the "gauntlet" category, but I know a lot of people here are way more badass than I am about not buying clothes and don't need the challenge.  So really, I want your thoughts and feelings about and how to keep that desire to look nice from tricking you into buying stuff.

Galaxie, I feel your pain. I also had a similar epiphany a couple years back, when my size XL and L clothes started to feel uncomfortably tight. I eventually lost weight, but it took a long time. One year to get back to my "normal" size, and another year to go down to Medium/Small sizes. Meanwhile, I struggled with ill-fitting clothes and not looking as nice as I wanted to. Frankly, it sucks.

Maybe you can do clothing swaps with family and friends? I borrow stuff from my two sisters and my mom all the time. We all live together, so it's like my wardrobe's been quadrupled.

It also helps to avoid the temptation to spend in the first place. When I was actively trying to lose weight, I avoided going to the mall as much as possible so I wouldn't feel envious of all the store displays. This also helps minimize the possibility of eating out.

These tactics are probably not going to make all the insecure feelings go away. I know they didn't go away for me. But I tried to think of it as extra motivation for me to lose the extra pounds even faster.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
I'm going to be honest here. One of the main reasons that I'm losing my extra 15-20 pounds is because the next time I buy new clothes I do NOT want to buy the next size up. Plus, I have some clothes that don't really fit me well enough to look professional right now that will be re-wearable once I drop the extra weight. It will be like getting new clothes without having to shell out extra money! :D

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »
I'm in a little bit of a different pickle.  Over the last few years I had put on some weight, I've always been overweight, but I got even bigger.  Recently, I've lost 30lbs.  I was able to pull out some of the old clothes and increase my wardrobe some, but had to get rid of a lot of things I really LOVED.  I wish I knew how to tailor clothes for the weight loss.  I'm working hard and expecting to lose another 25-30lbs and at that point nothing I own is going to fit.  I wish there was a continuing education college course on how to tailor clothing!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:21 AM »
I really relate to a lot of the comments here. As a single woman, I have enough clothes to fill up "his and hers" side of the wardrobe although some of them are, hmmm, some 2 decades old and there is a wide range of sizes. The really old ones are things I love, are still good and I would wear them today if only they would fit. Problem being my weight sliding up and down and then up some.  This year my goal is no spend year on clothes, lose weight, increase fitness and shop the wardrobe. I've enough range of clothes to sustain a 40lb weight loss..after that it will start to get a bit interesting. But hey, if I lose more than 40lbs in under a year I'll be doing exceptionally well.

Yeah Tami, I find taking clothes in can be tricky in my limited experience..some things just need a few darts....but that doesn't work for a lot of things. Alterations here cost a bomb, I never pay for that, especially for clothes already half worn out.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:05:10 AM »
Just be careful when exercising . . .

When I was wrestling and lifting weights (bulking up for tournaments) I went from 180 to 200 lbs, lost two inches around my waist, and gained about six around my butt.  It became damned near impossible to find off the shelf clothing that fits properly.  For pants, either the butt fit fine and the waist was WAY too big, or the waist fit right, but I couldn't even get my legs into the pants because of how tight they were.  Shirts that fit in the shoulder would be droopy around the waist, and if they fit around the waist they would be super tight around the shoulders.

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 07:50:06 AM »
All of these are great solutions. My own favorite solution to the clothes problem is poppin' tags at the thrift shop.  I may not find exactly what I'm looking for, and it does require you to be ruthless when you try things on, but it can be a good option if the thrift shop in your area is awesome.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
My post may not be helpful in keeping you out of the stores!

I have found that with weight loss and general changes to this aging body that things do fit differently over time.  My solution was to purchase a couple of basic pieces last fall including a pair of jeans and a pair of cords that both fit well.  I spent a little more for quality and a decent fit.

My plan for the summer is to invest in a pair of capris and a pair of shorts.  I can sew skirts and tops if I need them.

Sewing is part of my solution to the general dilemma of shoddy quality.  I am currently sewing a wool knit jacket--I don't find decent knits in the market place so I am figuring out how to sew them.  Knits behave differently than woven fabrics. In some ways they are easier to work with, in others they are a pain in the neck.

The general point is that I am putting more thought into my purchases and if I can't find what I want I'll sew it.  There are a number of "make do" items cluttering my closet. 

One more thing:  I went to a bra store for a proper fitting.  This is one of the best ways to improve your overall look.  Again, you may spend more than the discount store special, but the results do wonders!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »

When I was wrestling and lifting weights (bulking up for tournaments) I went from 180 to 200 lbs, lost two inches around my waist, and gained about six around my butt.  It became damned near impossible to find off the shelf clothing that fits properly.  For pants, either the butt fit fine and the waist was WAY too big, or the waist fit right, but I couldn't even get my legs into the pants because of how tight they were.  Shirts that fit in the shoulder would be droopy around the waist, and if they fit around the waist they would be super tight around the shoulders.

That's how my body naturally is, so I feel your pain.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
I love thrift store shopping.  I almost never buy retail, except for undergarments.  If you can afford it, maybe there is nothing wrong with spending $10 whenever you lose another 10 lbs.  I have lost 55 lbs this year, and I have enjoyed buying some fun stuff!  Not a lot - I don't own a lot of clothes.  At this point I only buy things I think are beautiful.  I can walk out without buying anything, if there is nothing that strikes me as beautiful.  I don't buy anything that is "good enough".  I used to - I would walk into Walmart, see a shirt roughly my style, in a color I liked, and pay $10 for it.  What a waste!  Now I spend the same amount, but on things that I look good in.
  I do still buy "good enough" shoes, though.  I bought shoes yesterday at a thrift store.  A pair of black maryjanes by Doc Martin ($20) in very good condition.  A pair of  black leather Naot sandals (division of Teva) for $5 in like new condition, and brown Naturalizer flats ($5) in good condition.  The brown flats wil probably last a year, and are definitely just good enough.  The others should last for several years.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »

Shirts that fit in the shoulder would be droopy around the waist, and if they fit around the waist they would be super tight around the shoulders.

Yep, this, and many other posts in this thread indicate how valuable and Mustachian it is to learn the skill of sewing. I taught myself from scratch a couple years ago (with the help of the Internet and some books), so it must not be that hard. And not just alterations, I'm now up to 7 shirts from scratch, and they're the only thing I wear anymore when I go out, since they look SO much better on me than any off-the-rack stuff. Though remember, it's a skill that can be used for good OR evil: only use your talent to make clothes that match your fit body, not to make clothes to match your fat body.  :-) (conveniently, it's harder/impossible to expand clothes than to shrink them!)

Funny thing is that I took up sewing after I bought a custom-made shirt, and on that one, the chest ended up being a bit too wide, so I took the same approach as the OP, modifying my body to match the shirt (started a moderate push-up regimen) rather than the other way around. But then I kept the same chest width on my own custom designs to force me to keep it up.  :-)

Here's one of the first alterations I did. And no, I was never a size where that shirt ever fit me, I apparently used to just buy clothes that looked like that (because that's all stores sold? because I was an idiot?!)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »
Nice!

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »
I don't ever buy clothes over a certain size. When that size gets uncomfortable--as it was after the holidays--I know it's time to buckle down. In the meantime, the discomfort of constantly having to adjust the waist of my pants or having to tape together the gap in my button-up shirts is a reminder that I used to look nicer and be a lot more comfortable.

Granted, my pants size cut-off has gone up a size over the past eight years. I swear my actual hips have gotten wider and so I'd have to weigh less than I did when I was 20 to get into the jeans I used to wear then. But... I have saved the jeans, just in case.

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »
(seriously, if men had to wear bras there would be options that fit every body readily available)
Why do you say that? I have a hell of a time finding much of anything that fits my body type, and I am male (and dress as one). The grass isn't always greener.

I guess I need to follow in skyrefuge's footsteps and learn to sew. You, sir, are an awesome tailor. The fitted shirt makes you look so much better in every way-- younger, more vital, etc.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »
(seriously, if men had to wear bras there would be options that fit every body readily available)
Why do you say that? I have a hell of a time finding much of anything that fits my body type, and I am male (and dress as one). The grass isn't always greener.

+1 to that!  Shirts that fit my arms and shoulders usually have enough spare room around the waist for a basketball, sometimes two.

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »

I guess I need to follow in skyrefuge's footsteps and learn to sew. You, sir, are an awesome tailor.

+1!

Care to share some of the resources/sites/books you used to learn, or other tips and tricks?  Most dress shirts I buy have that same "puffiness" around the waist as in your first picture, and I never realized I could do anything about it!  My girlfriend is from Europe, she actually just commented on this the other day about how men's business clothes in the US seem fitted very different, and it got me wondering. 

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »

I guess I need to follow in skyrefuge's footsteps and learn to sew. You, sir, are an awesome tailor.

+1!

Care to share some of the resources/sites/books you used to learn, or other tips and tricks?  Most dress shirts I buy have that same "puffiness" around the waist as in your first picture, and I never realized I could do anything about it!  My girlfriend is from Europe, she actually just commented on this the other day about how men's business clothes in the US seem fitted very different, and it got me wondering.
You can get "fitted" dress shirts that are cut for a more athletic (or just non-beer-belly) shape. I have a few of these and I'll never buy a regular-cut dress shirt again.

Also, on the topic, I am also a fan of these shirts, if you're looking for something that won't be flapping in the wind.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »
I guess I need to follow in skyrefuge's footsteps and learn to sew. You, sir, are an awesome tailor. The fitted shirt makes you look so much better in every way-- younger, more vital, etc.

haha, thank you! Though I also (unintentionally) did a classic bit of "before/after" cheating in those photos by cutting my hair and smiling a bit more in the second one.

Care to share some of the resources/sites/books you used to learn, or other tips and tricks?

Rather than derailing this one too much, I went ahead and created my own thread covering this:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/my-secret-and-successful-journey-to-making-my-own-clothes/

You can get "fitted" dress shirts that are cut for a more athletic (or just non-beer-belly) shape. I have a few of these and I'll never buy a regular-cut dress shirt again.

Ha, the green shirt in my other post is an Arrow Fitted shirt. Their fabrics are kind of 'meh' though, and some of their "fitted" shirts started getting less "fitted" than others. Thankfully, there *has* been an increase in "slim-fit" shirts in the last few years (manufacturers are following the trend I started!), so the pickings are better than they used to be, but it's still pretty rough out there depending how "unusual" your body-shape is (for example, a Brooks Brothers "slim fit" is still almost as billowy as other brands' "normal fit").

c

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
Wow skyrefuge, that's some impressive needle skills.

I was proud of myself for starting to hem my own pants and replace my own buttons.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 04:43:44 AM »
Sorry for double posting, but when I was out running this morning I was thinking that one arena in which making my own clothes saves shitloads of money is sports stuff.  Lycra and and other stretchy fabrics can be found VERY cheap, and it takes a dollar's worth to make a sports bra, three dollars' worth to make running or biking tights.  I have also made fashion type tights out of ridiculous floral prints, the kind that go for $40+ in the stores, for about $2 of material and a little bit of (enjoyable) time.  These homemaders last forever, and don't look homemade, once you figure out how to use the stretch stitches available on most sewing machines these days.  If you want to really do it professionally, borrow someone's serger. 

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 09:23:03 AM »
Sorry for double posting, but when I was out running this morning I was thinking that one arena in which making my own clothes saves shitloads of money is sports stuff.  Lycra and and other stretchy fabrics can be found VERY cheap, and it takes a dollar's worth to make a sports bra, three dollars' worth to make running or biking tights.  I have also made fashion type tights out of ridiculous floral prints, the kind that go for $40+ in the stores, for about $2 of material and a little bit of (enjoyable) time.  These homemaders last forever, and don't look homemade, once you figure out how to use the stretch stitches available on most sewing machines these days.  If you want to really do it professionally, borrow someone's serger.

I'm inspired.  Is there a pattern you can recommend for sports bras?

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
Ugh, I'm having the opposite problem.  I'm losing weight so my clothes aren't fitting right because they are baggy.  It's nice because I've got a stock pile of formerly-too-small-jeans which I can now wear, but I don't have any "nice" pants that fit.  I don't want to invest in new clothes yet because I still have another 40lbs to lose, but because I'm a tall woman pants are crazy hard to find anyway.  You can hem pants shorter, but you can't hem them longer!

On a related note, I really need to get my sewing machine fixed.  Which will cost money.  Le sigh.

Lina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »
I would recommend wearing skirts when you are losing weight. I did that when I was losing weight as most skirts don't get as baggy when you lose weight. You can disguise a bad fit much longer then with pants.

If you happen to travel to Thailand for example you can get tailored clothes for the same price that you buy in stores at least in Europe. You can get cheaper then store-bought also but the quality is not the best.

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 05:05:27 PM »
Great thread! I've promised myself that I won't buy myself any new clothes for this whole year. I'm maintaining my weight though if I drop (and I'd like to) about 10-15 pounds everything already in my closet will look SO much better on me.
I'm gradually working my way towards a capsule wardrobe where everything in my closet looks and makes me feel good. It doesn't do me any damn good to have 30 shirts if I never wear most of them! I have the ones that I love the way I look in them and I've gotten rid of most of the rest. I take care of my 'capsule' by handwashing, line drying and I'm hoping they stay looking new for a long time. it's worked so far.
Another thing that helps (and can depress) is really looking at photos and how the clothes I'm wearing in the photos look to the camera lens. I've ended up getting rid of some things that I would have sworn looked nice but when I saw them through the camera - UGH UGH UGH!
I have to stop thinking I can pull off what a stick thin model can.

I second the skirts comment - when you're losing weight, skirts can be your best friend. They'll look good until your so thin they're slipping off your tushy.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »
I would recommend wearing skirts when you are losing weight. I did that when I was losing weight as most skirts don't get as baggy when you lose weight. You can disguise a bad fit much longer then with pants.

If you happen to travel to Thailand for example you can get tailored clothes for the same price that you buy in stores at least in Europe. You can get cheaper then store-bought also but the quality is not the best.

Yeah, I've got a couple of stretchy waisted skirts that work well with weight fluctuation.  I bike to work and it's annoying to change out of pants into them, but you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

I'm about 6' tall, which I suspect is taller than the average Thai woman.  Any idea if they sell clothes in my size?

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 05:48:48 AM »
I'm about 6' tall, which I suspect is taller than the average Thai woman.  Any idea if they sell clothes in my size?

Since she's talking about tailoring, wouldn't they sell clothing in every size? 

I'm frustratingly too tall for regular women's pants and too short for women's tall pants, so I have to buy tall and hem everything (I'm about 5'9")--but tailoring would be awesome.  Of course, the real solution would be for freaking clothing manufacturers to sell women's pants with a waist / inseam measurement like men's pants.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 06:55:41 PM »
@sky refuge...Awesome! Badass!. I never bothered with sewing because of the fabric costs... but now I see alterations are so worthwhile.  I'm non-standard dimensions whether fat or thin, so clothes not fitting right is an ongoing issue.
 Thanks Lina for the skirt tip... I'm a pants wearing gal, so I wouldn't have known. Maybe I should look into skirts.... but I just remembered I'm on a no-spend on clothes year. Can you turn pants into skirts? ( just kidding...)

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »
Worsted skeins - the pattern I've used is from "Green Pepper" and it's F792, called "Mt. St. Helens Hot Top."  Although if you have a sports bra that fits, it would be pretty easy to copy that, just elasticize the bottom, as I recall.  Good luck if you try it. 

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 12:38:35 PM »
Worsted skeins - the pattern I've used is from "Green Pepper" and it's F792, called "Mt. St. Helens Hot Top."  Although if you have a sports bra that fits, it would be pretty easy to copy that, just elasticize the bottom, as I recall.  Good luck if you try it.

Thanks for the link and the suggestions.  I am now on the lookout for lycra...

Osprey

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 02:26:58 AM »
Something that has not been mentioned so far: There may be an "environmental norm" in some places that makes people feel like they need shiny new clothes. When I was living in a small town I was perfectly happy to schlepp around in faded cargoes and tees. After moving back to the city I'm ashamed to say that I went out and bought a bunch of stuff. If I'd been aware of my motivation I'd have bought less.

skyrefuge: Wow, that's some awesome skills. I always struggle to make shoulders look decent!

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 07:55:56 AM »
I posted this when I had just started a new workout routine and didn't know what was going on.  Turns out my clothes didn't fit properly because I was growing butt muscles and my posture was changing!  I'm going to wait at least another couple of months before I take any clothes-related actions.

At that point, I think I might be able to get rid of a lot of things that definitely don't fit, take stock of what's left, and maybe thrift a couple of classic items.  I've been doing some wardrobe planning in the mean time so that I don't waste money. 

HighOrderGuiltComplex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »
For me I get tired of seeing the same thing in my closet everyday.  I have two solutions that have helped me with this problem and save money by not buying new.  The first is I pack up half my wardrobe and store it in the top of the closet in bins for 6 months.  When six months rolls around and I pull them back out and pack up what is in my closet currently.  I feel like I have a "new" wardrobe again.  The other is I turn hangers around on items I have worn to make sure I wear everything in the closet instead of a few pieces right in front of me. 

jesse.anne.o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »
I posted this when I had just started a new workout routine and didn't know what was going on.  Turns out my clothes didn't fit properly because I was growing butt muscles and my posture was changing!  I'm going to wait at least another couple of months before I take any clothes-related actions.

At that point, I think I might be able to get rid of a lot of things that definitely don't fit, take stock of what's left, and maybe thrift a couple of classic items.  I've been doing some wardrobe planning in the mean time so that I don't waste money.

This just happened to me, also!  I now have a bunch of pants I can't fit into - anything that didn't have significant stretch/lycra.  I've been leaning on skirts and jeans with stretch and now have vowed not to buy anything unless it's got a high stretch material content so I'm not stuck again with stuff that doesn't fit as my muscles change.

Lina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 05:19:57 AM »

x
Quote from: frugalcalan l
[/quote

Yeah, I've got a couple of stretchy waisted skirts that work well with weight fluctuation.  I bike to work and it's annoying to change out of pants into them, but you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

I'm not the size of a Thai woman either so buying clothes at regular stores in Thailand doesn't work. If you are visiting a good tailor they measure you and make your clothes according to your measures. You tried the clothes and the tailor makes alterations if necessary. I got some really nice shirts as well as a suit in Bangkok that fit perfectly. Normally I can't find shirts that fit me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:22:31 AM by Lina »

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 11:55:08 PM »
I've jumped in!  I've tailored a few items, very very simply, to help deal with my recent weight loss.  I'm getting less fearful of the sewing machine all the time:)  Thanks for all the inspiration guys!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!