Author Topic: Class of 2016  (Read 133914 times)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Class of 2016
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2015, 06:17:15 PM »
I love reading about the plans for the Class of 2016. My last day of work will be January 15th. Only 15 work days left! We sold our house and the closing was today. That was the last thing that needed to happen for us to FIRE. I don't feel as elated as I thought I would. I feel like I am in disbelief. After all the years of planning and preparing, the time has finally come to walk away from full-time work. Maybe it will set in after my last day.

I don't have any big plans like some of the other posts in this thread. I don't want to commit to anything right now. I just want to relax. We are moving to Pittsburgh and will probably do some trips around the eastern U.S. I have never been to the U.P. of Michigan and my husband has never been to the Adirondacks, so those are two possible summer trips for us. It will be so nice to take as much time as we want to explore places.

I still can't believe that I won't have to go to work anymore. It is hard to imagine what life will be like, but I can't wait to experience it!

The UP is great too visit, and is so beautiful.  I once flew out to Isle Royale (float plane) and hiked for a week.  Saw lots of moose close up too.  You can take a boat if you wish.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
I have to convince my DW but I fully intend to RE in 2016.  We are FI long ago.  Based on over inflated expenses post FIRE our SWR is 3.15%.

The main things holding us back are #1) A perception on my DW's part that what you do = who you are and that RE is just a euphemism for unemployed. #2) Medical issue with my mom that prevent us from being able to travel. and #3) Inertia - It is hard to stop doing something that you have been doing full time for 40 years.

But my coworker's DH just died today.  I didn't know him but she is about 20 years younger than me.  This is really making me think about priorities.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2015, 06:30:07 AM »
My father is retiring next week (at 65). He's clearly very excited to finally do it. Financially he could have retired years ago, but he kept pushing it off and pushing it off. He's in pretty good health for his age, but there's still a lot of things that I can do that he can't, and a lot more that he won't be able to do in 5 or 10 years. It really makes me think that I need to retire now. Even if it meant I'd have to work when I was his age, I'd rather play now and work then, than work now and play then.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2015, 08:28:24 AM »
My father is retiring next week (at 65). He's clearly very excited to finally do it. Financially he could have retired years ago, but he kept pushing it off and pushing it off. He's in pretty good health for his age, but there's still a lot of things that I can do that he can't, and a lot more that he won't be able to do in 5 or 10 years. It really makes me think that I need to retire now. Even if it meant I'd have to work when I was his age, I'd rather play now and work then, than work now and play then.

I hear you.  My dad retired this past spring, right after getting a hip replaced.  He has always enjoyed the outdoors, but is having to pull back from the more strenuous activities he used to do.  One of my big FIRE motivations is to make the most of his active years before they are over.  Also, with my help, he can probably push the envelope a little farther and a little longer.

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2015, 03:45:13 PM »
We are on the list for 2016.

Financially we are better positioned than most and what has been holding us back is more the mental thing than anything else.  It's easy to think, talk and plan about RE in the third person but when it actually comes down to it its not so easy.

I suspect if you really hate your job then its a lot easier.

I wonder whether there are a lot of people out there like me who:

- Don't hate their job but don't love it
- Don't have a great passion or calling
- Would rather not work ......but
- like the money.

?

So ....as you will see from my journal "I'm starting a countdown", my notice date is 1 October 2016 but I am more than likely going to bring this forward to 1 April 2016 with a view to full or semi retirement by the end of 2016.  The semi retirement piece would be a 1-day a week consulting which I would like to do (but not essential).

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2015, 06:43:13 AM »

- like the money.

?

So ....as you will see from my journal "I'm starting a countdown", my notice date is 1 October 2016 but I am more than likely going to bring this forward to 1 April 2016 with a view to full or semi retirement by the end of 2016.  The semi retirement piece would be a 1-day a week consulting which I would like to do (but not essential).

I would say that describes me pretty well. I go in cycles with how I feel about my job. I set my retirement date of 4/1/16 about a year ago when my job was annoying me quite a bit. At the moment though, my job is pretty awesome (not that I "enjoy it", but it's hardly interfering at all with me doing whatever I want). If it continues like this it's going to be very hard for me to quit and forgo the extra money.

That said, it's still all relative. There's a few start-ups I've been doing consulting work for. Once any one of those can afford to pay me any money for the work I've done, I'm done with my day job immediately.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2015, 08:24:51 AM »
I go in cycles with how I feel about my job. I set my retirement date of 4/1/16 about a year ago when my job was annoying me quite a bit. At the moment though, my job is pretty awesome (not that I "enjoy it", but it's hardly interfering at all with me doing whatever I want). If it continues like this it's going to be very hard for me to quit and forgo the extra money.
Ha! I could have written that myself.

Joe Bladi-Blada

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »
4/1/16 unless the stock market takes a huge hit (fingers crossed). We decided that my wife would retire at the end of this year and I would wait until March 31, so it wouldn't be so scary. She's 63 and has been working for 48 years. She is working on signing up for ACA and enjoying running errands in the middle of the day and taking naps whenever she wants. I'm 54, been working since I was 16. For the last 25 years I've worked as a network engineer, and I'm ready to set that aside. Both of us have part-time gigs: she is a bookkeeper and I am a musician, so we'll have a little income from that.

Plans:
1st order of business is: no big changes, no immediate plans. We need to get used to a new way of doing things.
I will be playing music and teaching (I should be able to accept more gigs/students than when I was working)
She still has a part-time bookkeeping gig for someone she likes working for
I plan to do a lot of work on the house and cars myself. I have some construction and mechanical experience, but not a lot of time right now.
We'll want to do a little traveling to visit friends we've neglected in the past years.
Clean out all the clutter - sell, give away, throw away stuff! Both of us are excited about this.
Pay a lot more attention to health - nutrition, daily exercise. This kind of stuff seems to elude us when we are working long hours.

More later - thanks for the outlet.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2016, 06:06:03 AM »
My first thought upon waking up today (1/1/16) -- "I need to figure out what to change my 401k withholdings to to make sure I max out before i quit without missing any company match"

Anyone have any idea if they'll pay out a match on paid out PTO after I quit?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2016, 08:42:57 AM »
My first thought upon waking up today (1/1/16) -- "I need to figure out what to change my 401k withholdings to to make sure I max out before i quit without missing any company match"

Anyone have any idea if they'll pay out a match on paid out PTO after I quit?

Depends on the company. You'll need to ask HR.

I've been thinking about Roth conversions. I may take advantage of a Fidelity bonus transfer first.

https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/united

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2016, 11:30:39 AM »

- like the money.

That described me pre-FIRE (June 2015). I actually liked the work I did, but not all the corporate stuff surrounding it, which probably took up about 50% of my work time. But I also was just tired of never having enough time for what I wanted to do, even if that was just wandering around the yard looking at flowers. I don't have a great passion or calling, and that is ok with me. I did like (love) my income and I think that was the hardest thing to pull away from and finally FIRE.

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
That described me pre-FIRE (June 2015). I actually liked the work I did, but not all the corporate stuff surrounding it, which probably took up about 50% of my work time. But I also was just tired of never having enough time for what I wanted to do, even if that was just wandering around the yard looking at flowers. I don't have a great passion or calling, and that is ok with me. I did like (love) my income and I think that was the hardest thing to pull away from and finally FIRE.

I agree with that.

At the end of the day the problem is that work just takes up too much time that I would rather spend doing other things (even if "other things" includes sitting on the sofa watching video's on youtube ;-))

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2016, 12:26:49 PM »
Raising hand for 2016.  This is really great to read others' thoughts and plans for impending retirement.  It is a bit scary, but in a good way.  It's hard to digest in a way after saving for so many years.  Anyway, for me it will be sometime after March 1st, but probably a little later in  the year.  I wouldn't say I love my job, but I like it sufficiently to where I'm not clawing at the door to get  out.  I haven't told anyone at work, only hinted to one of my employees.  I reached my savings goal right on target in 2015, so I'm pretty comfortable with my stash.  My retirement plan is to relocate to a different city, so right now I'm evaluating alternatives and will start scouting trips in the spring.  After that I'm just going to play it all by ear.  Right now it feels like right before graduation from school.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »
Raising hand for 2016.....Right now it feels like right before graduation from school.

Welcome aboard Bardo! I definitely second the right before graduation feeling. "Senioritis." I've never taken my job all that seriously, but these days I can't take anything at work seriously. My manager talks about long-term plans and projects and I just do my best to not say anything.

Where are you thinking of moving to? Are you looking for a LCOL or just more fun stuff to do post FIRE?

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
One of the things that interests me is how old the class of 2016 is?

I'm 51.

In some ways I often find myself caught between two stools, on the one hand there is the "live for today" brigade who says "you could get run over by a bus tomorrow so live for today" and those who say "you could live until you're 90's so you'll actually be retired longer than you were working.

I'm not sure where I sit between the two extremes.  Two people who I was close to at work died at 34 and 50 respectively which really makes you think.

How do people weight that up?

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »
I'm 51 turning 52 the week I retire. I worked in a fed government job before this, and saw (not personally) a few people die on the job before retirement, and it did affect my decision to quit while I could still enjoy life. Both my parents, and my husband's surviving mother are getting on in years and they all live independently for now, but that also weighed into my decision. I don't want to work work work til I'm 60 or 65, and then turn around and immediately spend my whole retirement being the caretaker for our ailing parents.

I also though wanted to make sure I'm personally set for life. I used to be way below the poverty line, and I'm glad now that I was because it taught me some great frugal skills, but it also made me not take financial security for granted. I fully plan on being retired longer than I've been working - and living well below my means so I can do that without stressing about the money.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »
I just turned 32.

I think it's all about balance. I could drop dead tomorrow. I could live to 95 and regret not working a few more years so that I could live on 20% more money for 60 years. I definitely think about both of these risks, but I don't let either one dominate.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
54 for me.

Chavak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »
Well, close. I retired on December 31, 2015 so I missed 2016 by one day, lol.
However, today was the first day I did  not have to go into work because I normally had Fri/Sat off anyone.
It was glorious to be able to stay home in my nice warm house while the snow and freezing rain was coming down.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2016, 07:00:09 AM »
However, today was the first day I did  not have to go into work because I normally had Fri/Sat off anyone.
It was glorious to be able to stay home in my nice warm house while the snow and freezing rain was coming down.
Congratulations! How does it feel?

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2016, 08:39:52 AM »

Jon_Snow was just talking about this in his journal, the weird sensation sunday night of not worrying about what needs to be done on the first day back at work after the holidays. Enjoy your new FIRE Zephyr911

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2016, 08:45:52 AM »

Jon_Snow was just talking about this in his journal, the weird sensation sunday night of not worrying about what needs to be done on the first day back at work after the holidays. Enjoy your new FIRE Zephyr911
Chavak retired, not me. I'm just here for the popcorn.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2016, 09:46:38 AM »

Congrats!! :D

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »
I will be 47 if I pull FIRE off in 2016.

Chavak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »

It feels wonderful. Still iced in and so nice to not have to drive in it. A nice relaxing day catching up on paper work.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2016, 01:45:12 PM »
This coming Friday is a staff development day which we normally aren't supposed to miss.  I mentioned that since I'm leaving in 5 months, maybe development classes aren't so critical for me - and I got permission to take the day off.

Shifting into slacker mode - Yesssss!!!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »
This coming Friday is a staff development day which we normally aren't supposed to miss.  I mentioned that since I'm leaving in 5 months, maybe development classes aren't so critical for me - and I got permission to take the day off.

Nice!

I would love to drop the fact I am not going to be around in a few months and try to get out of some of the BS, but it is not going to happen until bonuses are paid!  Funny part is that we are restructuring which basically means everyone is aggressively renegotiating their duties.  In the past I have had to put up a pretty good fight to avoid becoming a dumping ground for unfavorable tasks.  This time round, I just keep saying "Sure!", and smiling.  Little do they know they are dumping everything into their own laps!

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »
I would love to drop the fact I am not going to be around in a few months and try to get out of some of the BS, but it is not going to happen until bonuses are paid!
[/quote]

Same here - have to wait till mid-2016 basically to give notice so as not to endanger my bonus (can be as high as 25% of my salary).

We'll be 28 and 29 when we FIRE late this year - if all goes according to plan.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2016, 03:12:28 PM »

Nice!

I would love to drop the fact I am not going to be around in a few months and try to get out of some of the BS, but it is not going to happen until bonuses are paid!  Funny part is that we are restructuring which basically means everyone is aggressively renegotiating their duties.  In the past I have had to put up a pretty good fight to avoid becoming a dumping ground for unfavorable tasks.  This time round, I just keep saying "Sure!", and smiling.  Little do they know they are dumping everything into their own laps!

Now that my current project is ending, I am also becoming the dumping ground of unfavorable tasks. I had a meeting with my manager bearing the unfavorable information recently and I also kept nodding back. The thing is I had just applied to another internal  position. I'm still waiting to hear on that so I had to stay guarded. It will probably either be the new position or FIRE for me this year because I don't  want to take  on the unfavorable  tasks.

mobrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE date 1/15/2016
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »

I am 39. I will turn 40 in February. Nine days of work left. NINE DAYS!!! My emotions today have ranged from denial, panic, relief and elation. I think I cycled through that 3 or 4 times. What am I going to be like next week? I am guessing I will be very happy.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2016, 04:39:30 PM »

I am 39. I will turn 40 in February. Nine days of work left. NINE DAYS!!! My emotions today have ranged from denial, panic, relief and elation. I think I cycled through that 3 or 4 times. What am I going to be like next week? I am guessing I will be very happy.

Very exciting!  Congratulations.  My guess is those feelings are normal, but nothing to be concerned about.

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2016, 06:26:41 AM »
Is anyone in the class of 2016 nervous about the upcoming presidential election and what that might mean for the ACA?  I want to retire this year, but my gut is telling me to wait until November to make a decision on the actual date.   I may bump to the class of 2017 since I will need the ACA to make this happen.   

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2016, 06:36:04 AM »
Is anyone in the class of 2016 nervous about the upcoming presidential election and what that might mean for the ACA?  I want to retire this year, but my gut is telling me to wait until November to make a decision on the actual date.   I may bump to the class of 2017 since I will need the ACA to make this happen.
Quantitative adjustments are possible, even likely, regardless of who wins.
The program as a whole is not going away, regardless of who wins.
I'm just following this thread for moral support at this point, but if I were still shooting for late 2016 this would be the last thing to dissuade me. Nothing wrong with padding the safety margin a little though, unless you're miserable at work.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:44 AM »
Agree with Zephyr. Even if I thought it was likely that the republicans would win the election this year, which I don't think it is (possible, but not likely), I wouldn't be worried about ACA "going away." Certainly not in the going back to how things were in 2010 sense.

And even if this does happen, it'd likely be late 2017 at the absolute soonest before we had any sense of what was going to happen. That's an awful long time to delay on a maybe.

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2016, 05:08:57 PM »

How's the recent market dip affecting Class of 2016's plans?  Prior to the drop, I decided to postpone my notice until Feb due to conditions at work.  Now I'm considering remaining full time through May to take advantage of the buying opportunity.  I think I've convinced myself that this correction is well-timed for Class of 2016, but I'm curious how others are taking it.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »
The recent drop is not welcome, but I thought about the possibility of it happening before I stopped working and how I would react, and that "pre-gaming" helped.  Some days I think about buying since I currently have more cash than my plan calls for.  I also repeat "Stay the course" (Vanguard TM?) to myself sometimes.

I plan on ACA being there this year, and I am confident that there will be changes but that whatever happens there will be a suitable alternative for me.

I do have buffers and contingency plans available but am a long way from implementing any of them.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2016, 10:03:57 AM »
How's the recent market dip affecting Class of 2016's plans?  Prior to the drop, I decided to postpone my notice until Feb due to conditions at work.  Now I'm considering remaining full time through May to take advantage of the buying opportunity.  I think I've convinced myself that this correction is well-timed for Class of 2016, but I'm curious how others are taking it.

I'm very glad the market is dropping right now. Partly under the logic that I'm still a net buyer and will be for at least a few months longer, and partly under the logic that dropping now is a lot better than dropping 6 months or a year from now. I'm incredibly flexible right now, both in terms of when exactly I'll quit and on how much I'm going to spend over the next few years. Plus I'm fairly heavy on cash at this point -- I haven't been buying equities outside of my automatic set-up for over a year now. I'm certainly not going to invest all my cash at this moment. I'm happy to have a healthy cash buffer before quitting, but if there's a true crash I may reconsider.

That said, I need to start thinking long and hard about what scenarios (including market, work, and life scenarios) will involve me quitting at my earliest possible date of 4/1 and what scenarios will have me waiting till June 15th, or even later.

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2016, 10:18:49 AM »
I'm super new here, this is a pretty cool idea for a thread. I really enjoy the motivation I get reading everyone's replies : )

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »
Had my last ever annual performance review last week. Apparently my work is still very good, but I don't take initiative. Maybe the most accurate performance review I've ever gotten. By far the worst review I've ever gotten, but probably more generous than I actually deserve these days.

Then I had to talk about my goals for the next year. Part of me really wanted to just be honest, but it's not worth it. So I spouted some generic nonsense, and got out of the conversation as quickly as possible.

Haven't made a final decision yet, but somewhere between 58-100 more workdays for me.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »
Ha StetsTerhune, I was checking in to report the same thing.
Had my performance review yesterday. Probably the last one if all goes well.
I had a great year, but my boss does not give much praise anyways.
If you reach or exceed your goals, then it means the goals were not high enough.....lovely!

Regarding the correction: When I was in planning stage, I said, if there's a correction around the time I am planning to leave, I will put off plans for a year or if need be two.
If I had a choice I would have preferred it happen BEFORE I Fire, so I can adjust plans as needed.
Now that it has happen, I am like, what the heck, I'll put in what I can put this year, but no way am I working OMY!

I currently have a situation where pulling the plug too early may have an impact on something that's really really important to my FIRE plans. So I am not as flexible to decide, as I wanted to be, but ironically this has nothing to do at all with my job and all to do with my personal situation.

In any case January is almost over. We are getting CLOSE friends, real CLOSE!!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2016, 08:30:25 AM »
correction

It makes me glad that I was already leaning toward a later date. I'm stretching to buy more now, frontloading the year a bit more than originally planned.

I hope this doesn't derail anybody.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2016, 09:33:07 AM »
My boss came to me a few weeks ago a little sheepishly and mentioned that performance reviews are a lot of paperwork, and he will of course do one if I want one - but since I'm leaving this year, he'd be okay skipping it. YESSSSS.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »
I know I am buying cheap(er) than a few months ago, but it sure would feel better to pull the trigger a little closer to the top!  In other news, it looks like I am going to get the best performance review I have ever had! 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2016, 10:10:35 AM »
I'm done with full time employment at end of 2016.  I'll be 57.
Plan on some part time work for minimal income, to maintain some health insurance, and to still allow contributions to 401K.

Look forward to much more free time to do whatever I want.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »
Hand up for class of 2016!  FIRE date is April 9 August 1st.

I'm pretty close to FIRE right now, but that extra four eight months next year helps in a number of (financial) ways.  This includes getting another deposit of $1,200 in my HSA, and taking my accrued leave balance of $30,000 $36,000 in a lower income year.  If I took it in 2015 - ouch!  Also, I can drop $24,000 of that $36,000 directly into my 401B, which of course is pretax and hits my IRS limit for 2016!

Leave work on the 9th of April 1st of August after 30 years in the business and head from Florida to Southern California for about 2 weeks camping and spending time with friends in the Mojave Desert.  From there I'll be riding my bicycle up through the middle of the Sierras and Cascades to British Columbia.  Guessing at about getting there at the end of June, but I really don't want to cap it with a date.  I plan on carrying my backpack (and two small front panniers) so that I can drop the bike and hike for as long as I please.  I may ride 100 miles in a day and I may ride 5.  I do not want a certain number I have to "make" each day.

Once I get to BC I'll decide what to do then.  I may fly home, head up to Alaska, or ride/take train across the northern tier of states to Michigan.  From there...

2017 will include taking care of a bucket list item.  That is sitting in Michigan stadium in November watching the Michigan Wolverines play (and hopefully beat) the Ohio State Buckeyes.  I plan on getting there by taking a train to Washington DC and then riding up the C&O Canal Towpath and then the Great Allegheny Passage to Pittsburgh.  Ride the rest of the way to Ann Arbor, MI.

Lots of jobs to complete around the house in between, plus two side gigs: one with my former boss part time and the other my outside landscaping business I started this past June.

I am very active and won't have trouble finding things to do.  I have about 20 different things from the rides I mentioned above to writing a couple of books to starting a local movement to get my city to significantly reduce their energy consumption.  Every time I get an idea I email it to myself and then file it under "retirement." Probably put together a manual on that so if I am looking for something to do I can go there.

DW is adjusting to the idea of me RE (54) and being away so long.  She understands my need to have complete freedom though.  I hope that she can come out west now and again to visit though, otherwise it'll be communication via email, phone, etc.

Lastly, I will do absolutely nothing sometimes and learn that is perfectly okay!

A lot of the above plan that was crossed out was dependent on two main things: 1) Tioga Pass opening up earlier than the average date of May 27 (and all the services before and after); and 2) asking for and receiving approval for a 3 month sabbatical.  I really didn't want to come back and that was bugging me. I was considering doing that for our new boss, as he is great and good to work with.  However, I was not doing it for myself.

Anyway, the trip has changed to possible leaving from outside Eugene, OR and riding over to the Bitterroots to hike with my cousin, and then on back to Florida.  I have always wanted to cross the country on a bicycle so why not this year!?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:16:20 PM by Rollin »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2016, 09:33:53 AM »
How's everyone handling the recent slide and the possibility of a bear market?  Anyone changing plans or are you still cool with pulling the trigger even with 10-15% less in your stache?

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2016, 09:57:34 AM »
How's everyone handling the recent slide and the possibility of a bear market?  Anyone changing plans or are you still cool with pulling the trigger even with 10-15% less in your stache?

I'm still cool with pulling the trigger. I have a pretty good sized cash buffer. I just haven't felt like the market was worth buying lately, outside of my automated purchases.  Plus, my life is very flexible. I'd rather quit my job and live lean and free for the next few years than keep my job. I think there's plenty of security in being flexible in how I live (at least temporarily).

All that said, if this goes from correction territory to crash territory, I may change my mind and keep working for the man.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2016, 10:11:17 AM »

I am actually (and much to my surprise) much less fazed than I thought I would be.
I used to say, if there's a correction right before I plan to pull the trigger, I'll just put in OMY to take
advantage of the purchasing opportunity and to reduce sequence of return risk.
Now I am just like, mehhh, can't wait to leave!

But I also know that for the first two years of fire I will be way below my 4% SWR, due to some changes in my plans (no fixed house and shared living cost), that were not part of my initial budget.
So that will minimize sequence of return risk, I hope.

Then every so often, I catch myself wondering, what work I would do if I had to supplement income over the next few years....then I tell myself why do that if I can still make money now and stay OMY....but those feelings usually pass quickly and I go back to mehhhh, can't wait to leave ;)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2016, 12:20:31 PM »
What slide? The market has already recovered halfway from the lows. I'm out regardless.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »

My stache was invested a little more conservatively (60% stocks/40% bonds - indexed) and so was down less than 5% (as of today only down -2.2%).  No change in plans.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:12:59 PM by Rollin »