Author Topic: Christmas list?  (Read 12082 times)

FireYourJob

• Stubble
    • Get Rich or Die Trying!
Christmas list?
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »
I'm looking for ideas (MMMian or otherwise)

What would you like to give or get?

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
Re: Christmas list?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
I'd love one of those french door, freezer-on-bottom fridges, but I'm not getting rid of a perfectly good side-by-side refrigerator to buy one. That's just dumb.

But they are REALLY nice. We love ours. Of course, we bought it before I found this blog, and it's one of the few big pre-MMM purchases I secretly don't regret.

johnny_b123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
Don't wait for it to fail, if it's old and works, sell it on craigslist or something. I sold our working, 12 year old white ugly standard top freezer fridge for $100 and replaced it with a super quiet single door, bottom freezer frigidaire on sale for $900 at sears. Huge fridge, super super quiet, I'm guessing it uses scroll compressors, and low on energy (doesn't pop the breaker shared with microwave anymore, yay!)

I would caution against the samsung french doors: a lot of people complain about the noise. samsung makes good electronics and seemingly not the best appliances. we originally had the samsung model but after a couple repair guys couldn't figure out the noise, and we found lots of forum posts about the same noise, we had sears swap it for the frigidaire.

last comment: white appliances are basic, the stainless steel look usually carries a +$200 price premium however black looks very stylish and is usually no extra cost over white. We went with black appliances. Everything something fails in our old kitchen (45 year old house) we replace it with something black on sale.

forestbound

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »
Christmas list is pretty empty. I don't really want anything... that fits in a box.

The SO bought a French Door refrigerator to replace a side-by-side. He insisted on the ice, water dispenser in the door. It is the worst. It's loud, and takes up too much of the refrigerator, and it leaks and causes an ice jam on the bottom that has to be cleaned out every 3 weeks. If you get one, get the ice maker in the freezer below and skip the in the door dispenser.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »
That's funny. We have a black Samsung, but haven't had any issues with the noise or the water/ice dispenser. Perhaps we were just lucky. The only thing I am not thrilled with is the flex zone drawer between the fridhe and the freezer. We love the drawer itself, but it has a sliding "crosshair" type divider that partitions the drawer into quadrants. Seemed like a brilliant idea, however the problem is that you can't fix the positioning, so when you open and close the drawer, the items shift freely and push the dividers out of position, rendering the feature pretty much useless. Other manufacturers used fixed dividers. We thought they far less sleek and were turned off by them. Would totally go that route, though,  if I could get a do-over.

Sorry to the OP. Didn't mean to turn this into a fridge thread. To answer your question, similar to serpentstooth, I am not a big fan of gift exchanges. That said, I wouldn't mind getting some Home Depot gift cards to help pay for the tool set I'm eyeing. I'm hoping to tackle some DIY home repairs this year, but don't have the tools to do so yet.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 12:16:30 PM »
I have a new bike helmet on my list.  That's it though.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
Some things on my wish list that I gave to family:
  • pretty dish towels
  • reusable produce bags
  • a garlic press
  • a simple, silent wall clock
  • the Budget Bytes cookbook
  • gift cards to my favorite online yarn store

Some things I will be giving:
  • handknit scarves - boyfriend's parents
  • handknit Dobby socks - boyfriend's sister
  • skein of fancy yarn and a new knitting book - mom
  • LED lightbulbs for the dining room chandelier - dad
  • three different Game of Thrones posters - brother
  • handknit chair cover (her request) - aunt
  • gift certificate for prenatal massage - pregnant friend

Boyfriend and I decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner out and call it a day. For everyone else, though, I really enjoy the process of gift planning/making/giving and keeping it inexpensive and thoughtful.

myteafix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »
Don't wait for it to fail, if it's old and works, sell it on craigslist or something.

I would have to agree on that one. It is often cheaper to upgrade before your current refrigerator stops working. Just make sure it has all the features you want and positive reviews. I don't see what a purchase like that would hurt; it's an investment.

On a non-appliance related note, I haven't even written up a Christmas list yet. I'm debating even making one at all, or just asking for something simple like iTunes gift cards.

driftwood

• Bristles
Experiences
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 01:24:57 PM »
I change  my mind too often on things I want, so I took all things off my list this year. 

My wife and I maintain a 'stuff we want' list (mine is powerpoint, so I can include details and a picture), but every time I put something on there I'd debate about it... do I really want it, what if I get it but after a year or so don't want/use it and want to get rid of it?  A lot of times I have outdoors gear on my list, but until I actually take that kelly kettle stove out backpacking, I don't really know if I'll like it.

I think I got the idea from the minimalists blog, but now I put things I want to do... Firearms courses, trip/tour to a local grist mil, survival courses, tracking courses, skiing, seeing Leavenworth WA, going to a local viewing of the Banf Mt Film Festival, canoe the susquehanna river in PA/OH with my dad and brothers.

I found that when I make this list I don't end up with any doubts, just excitement that I may be gifted these experiences some day and how much fun that would be.  I also may make a few of these happen myself, but I feel totally different about this list than I do about the list of things I wanted.  I'll never be left with things I don't use/want, or things I don't have time to use, but instead I'll have memories, skills, new relationships, etc from these experiences.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:27:09 PM by Driftwood »

The Borgs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 04:20:52 PM »
I'd like a yoghurt maker. I've tried making yoghurt a number of times, only to have it fail in some fashion or another each time. I feel this would guarantee some aspects of the process and it should work. And we get through enough yoghurt in a month to make the cost worthwhile.

I'd also like some of the cheap Turkish delight at $2 a box from K-mart here, the lemon and rose one, only available at Christmas. Which funnily enough is actually made in Turkey and is the best I've found.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 05:46:50 PM »
My wife and I were trying to tackle the "we don't want any gifts" with family members who really enjoy gift giving.  While we made our intentions known as delicately as possible, a great solution we found is to ask for perishables.  Tea, booze, nice oils and vingegars, spices, etc.  Since we cook a lot, these items are right up our alley and actually get used.  Best thing is we don't get unnecessary junk that we'd just turn around and sell or regift to others.  Win win!

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »
I asked for maternity/nursing clothes, vegetable knives, a knife sharpener, a board game. Most of my family does not ask for gift lists so I don't need to come up with a long list.

We are giving books, movies, craft kits, baking supplies, etc, but a lot of our list is kids (my younger siblings).

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »
I'm planning to give the "Good and Cheap" cookbook to a couple of family members. The recipes are great and if you buy the book they donate one to a needy family. Everyone in my family appreciates the giving sentiment as well as a tasty, inexpensive recipe. Plus my gift will qualify for book rate shipping!

maisee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »
a great solution we found is to ask for perishables.  Tea, booze, nice oils and vingegars, spices, etc.  Since we cook a lot, these items are right up our alley and actually get used.

Great idea. I use cooking oils pretty much on a daily basis and the nice bottles are pretty spendy. Also, second on the knife sharpener. A few Christmases ago my brother got me a knife block/knives and I've been meaning to pick one up recently.

Tonight, actually, I'm going to try and make some fruit- and spice-infused vodka to give out this year to some friends as gifts. They're bigger liquor drinkers than I am and it's a nice way to get rid of a huge thingy of Kettle One I bought over the summer and have not since used. I imagine the mason jars I plan to use will also look pretty cool once full of booze and colorful fruits.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 01:54:49 PM »
For things to get, my list is usually only books and wool socks.  It would be nice to get a Thermos, but not necessary.  (I will be getting one for my husband, though.)  This year, my husband got my one gift request (don't usually make those to each other--it's "our" money so why bother spending it on gifts?) and bought me a kettlebell.

For others, I usually just get books or wool socks.  My whole family is pretty frugal and are big readers, so those things always go over well.  But thanks for the idea of good cooking oils!  My younger brother is getting really into cooking so I might look into getting some nice cooking stuff for him.

Last year for my best friend, I put together a "treat yourself" package.  She was working on getting her National Boards certification (for teachers) and it was rough (but she passed! first try, too!) so I made some hot cocoa mix, bought a book, put a gift card for another book inside it, got some fancy epsom salts, and some nice lotion.  It was actually really frugal and she loved it, but that was also partly because I knew that hot chocolate and reading in the bath are two of her ways to relax, so YMMV on that one.

Siobhan

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 06:16:23 PM »
That's funny. We have a black Samsung, but haven't had any issues with the noise or the water/ice dispenser. Perhaps we were just lucky. The only thing I am not thrilled with is the flex zone drawer between the fridhe and the freezer. We love the drawer itself, but it has a sliding "crosshair" type divider that partitions the drawer into quadrants. Seemed like a brilliant idea, however the problem is that you can't fix the positioning, so when you open and close the drawer, the items shift freely and push the dividers out of position, rendering the feature pretty much useless. Other manufacturers used fixed dividers. We thought they far less sleek and were turned off by them. Would totally go that route, though,  if I could get a do-over.

Sorry to the OP. Didn't mean to turn this into a fridge thread. To answer your question, similar to serpentstooth, I am not a big fan of gift exchanges. That said, I wouldn't mind getting some Home Depot gift cards to help pay for the tool set I'm eyeing. I'm hoping to tackle some DIY home repairs this year, but don't have the tools to do so yet.

Weird, we have a French door Samsung with the drawer.  No noise issues, no ice issues, and the dividers we just pulled out.  Couldn't adjust them, but you can remove them.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »
last comment: white appliances are basic, the stainless steel look usually carries a +$200 price premium however black looks very stylish and is usually no extra cost over white. We went with black appliances. Everything something fails in our old kitchen (45 year old house) we replace it with something black on sale.
Thing is, stainless steel has become SO PERVASIVE that if you don't choose it, you have essentially no choice!  I have black appliances, and when my dishwasher broke a year ago I checked Lowes and Sears, and I only had THREE from which to choose.  I don't really like the one I bought, but I did want it to match my already-existing appliances. 

Annie-Blake

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »
MIL has gotten us a steam mop as ours is broken.  my parents have gotten us a gas top kettle as I accidently boiled mine without water in it.  my hubby has gotten me $50 worth of clothes.

We have purchased presents for 23 people and i have spent just under $24 per person, per gift.  All gifts are different, but the common theme is they were purchased throughout the year at great sales prices.  For example a cutlery set from $199.95 i got for $50.  Jewellery from $70, down to $20.  Perfume packs for $20 on sale.  And for families of four (2 adults, 2 kids) we normally get a gift for each person, but this year we are giving a family present of a boardgame.  I found a boardgame on ultra sale for only $3!

Total spend was around $550, but i hope to do better than this next year as we proceed further into our mustachian journery. 

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 08:31:23 AM »
I got my lovely bride an antique human skull that is articulated for medical study, but I can't guarantee that will be everyone's idea of a great gift ;)

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 08:36:19 AM »
I asked for a pair of dumbbells because I need to up my weight a little. Other than that I'm asking everyone to make a charitable donation on my behalf to the Foundation Beyond Belief. It's probably upsetting my religious relatives, but it's what I want.

StubbledCPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 08:38:54 AM »
This year I'm debating on a either a decent elliptical or treadmill but only wanting to pay under $150 (via Craigslist).  I'm thinking staying cheap will let me sell it back cheap if I don't get the value out of it that I'm expecting

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 11:59:02 AM »
I asked my parents for a ninja blender, since I'm moving out of my current apartment/roommate situation and I use my roommate's ninja several times a week for cooking/blending. My mom's always buying me kitchen stuff I don't want... so i think she actually appreciated me asking for something that I will use all the time.

Other than that, I'm a fan of gift cards to restaurants/movies. Or perishable things like wine/food. I gave everyone in my family a disclaimer that I'm downsizing to a small apartment in february, so any extra "stuff" gifts may or may not end up at Goodwill.

For gifts that I'm giving:
1) Friends- DIY magnetic spice rack with chalkboard paint labels.
2) Roommate- Yoda tree topper (couldn't resist... it was $30 when I bought it) http://www.amazon.com/SW9902-Star-Wars-12-Inch-Topper/dp/B0028ACZKS
2) Boyfriend- cold weather biking gear, so he can brave the "cold" weather in Texas and get back to biking to work (which he LOVES when the weather is nice)
3) Family- mostly books and sewing supplies (my mom and sister are getting really into sewing projects lately)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
That shows a lot more thought than an "ordinary" gift.

I still remember the year my ex-H gave me a gift - nice box with the word "Fossil" on it.  I was thinking - wonderful, a fossil!!  trilobite? ammonite? Something less common?  I want Hallucigenia (never going to happen, although I have a model).

It was a dress watch  :-(   Bonus points for noticing I never wore a dress watch, negative points for not noticing I already owned two that I did wear as needed, which was almost never.

The gift, regardless of price, that shows thoughtfulness and having an idea of what the recipient will like, is always better than flinging money around, unless of course the only thing that matters to both parties is how much was spent.

I got my lovely bride an antique human skull that is articulated for medical study, but I can't guarantee that will be everyone's idea of a great gift ;)

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »
Yeah, she's going to be over the moon :) I can't wait!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
I already know that I'm getting a hitch camera for my truck because I had to pick it out and approve of it.  This is awesome because where I park my horse trailer, I have to back in at an angle to hook up to it, which usually means about a dozen attempts at lining up the ball and hitch before I get it.

I'm thinking I'll get him a lift ticket for Sun Valley because he's never been and is unlikely to spend the $100 for a single day of skiing, but I know he wants to go.

87tweetybirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 09:43:58 PM »
First it took me a while to decide what I need/want for Christmas, but finally I responded with a list like this: scrub bottoms for work (currently have 3 pairs of scrub pants but one has holes in the patch on the patch in the patched crotch) low rise for future use as maternity scrubs. I looked online and went holy s@&$! That much for a pair of navy blue scrub pants! I also included a few other items I've been watching for at yard sales and thrift stores. Like a food dehydrator and a water bath canner. looking to expand the garden this summer and such items may be very handy.
Not very mustachian of me, but hey if you have your heart set on gift giving it may as well be useful to me for a long time. And all of those are perfectly acceptable responses. After all my parents birthday gift to me was a pair shoes to replace my tired worn out work shoes that they found on clearance. Awesome and perfectly practical.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »
That's an awesome gift! Kudos for the uniqueness.

All I want for Christmas is a hand crank can - opener w the cushy grips on them, bathroom hand towels, and a few glass jars to hold my sugar and flour. Cookbooks are always good too.

mom2_3Hs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »
Someone please face punch my DH.  He put fancy salt and pepper (imported from Damascus or something) on his list.

I want a new pair of warm leather gloves.  Right now I have a $2 pr of stretchy ones and they aren't going to cut it this winter.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 01:53:58 AM »
I'd love a pressure cooker and a food processor! Think of all the beans, and soups, and salsas, and hommus...

I love cooking for my friends and family so kitchen stuff is great.

GoodStash BadStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 08:26:25 AM »
Most of the other people on this message have echoed a similar sentiment, but for the last few years I've tried to direct people towards gifts that will improve our lifestyle efficiency, safety, or reduce costs.  I don't know how much of an effect it's having, but when we're giving gifts to friends and family I'll try to find items that follow the same concept (guess it's true that you tend to give gifts you'd like to receive).

Some examples from previous years:
  • Fluorescent torchieres
  • LED flashlights to replace incandescent
  • Aeropress
  • Exercise equipment (great during winter)
  • Bike accessories
  • Ooma system for VOIP service
  • Small electrical generator for power outages

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »
I'm also with things that people will use and enjoy.  One year I wanted a sander - no-one wanted to give it to me, it was "too practical", they wanted to give me something fun.  Well, doing house upgrades with sandpaper is a lot less fun than using a sander!  I did get it, but it took a lot of persuading.

Now, if someone wants to go to Renfrew and buy me that hugs fossil ammonite, I won't say no to it.  What is it? "know to be useful or deem to be beautiful"?

cartechguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »
I already gave myself retirement and a great new place to live in the warm sunshine state of FL!!  I did purchase 4 plane tickets so, people in the family can come and enjoy and nice warm Christmas with me in my new home. They can afford it but, I wanted to surprise them!!

Some people are a bit surprised by my recent move and are a bit mad at me or most likely jealous!!  But, I will be sending out cards with personal notes to each person with an OPEN invitation to come and visit at anytime!!

Frugal Firefighter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »
We have a child on the way so outside of our family this is what we've done;

Nieces and nephews, all under 5, get gifts; however, we aimed our gifts at experiences. A set of tickets to an interactive science museum nearby for one niece, a set of tickets for an adventure place with large community constructed castle play place, traveling exhibits, learning based toys, etc. for the nephews, and for the last niece under 1 we purchased book with motor function type learning throughout. Total here was about $85, a little high because we included a ticket or tickets for parents depending on the couple.

On my wife's side we do a gift exchange with one other couple drawn randomly and slowly working our way to gifts for only the children; baby steps so we don't seem like the pushy mustachian family since they don't all quite understand our ways yet.

Gifts for others: ~$150 total.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
I have asked for gift certificates for fancy food I wouldn't normally buy myself and some new fruit trees and bushes for my ever evolving experiment in edible gardening, cherry, currants, apples, hardy kiwi...so much fruit...

My husband is getting gift cards to Cabelas so he can shop for gear without guilt.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »
I asked for the CreaClip, which I learned about on here, so that I can start cutting my own hair.

Other than that, my husband and I exchange stockings only, which usually include a bunch of practical things or food items that cost more than we usually would pay (expensive trail mix, jerky, etc).

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
Only thing on my list is the Samsonite black 3-piece Dual 360 luggage set that is currently on sale at Costco.  I don't have any good luggage, and now that I am "travel hacking" I do plan on traveling more.  My folks always ask every year what I want, and I never have anything, and since we are over 2000 miles apart, I usually get a check.  Mom has already told me to buy the luggage out of the money they are going to send.  It is now just a matter of seeing if I get to Costco in Portland (to save $16 on taxes I'd have to pay if I bought it here) before the sale ends/they sell out.  It is a fine set of Samsonite though....   http://www.costco.com/Samsonite-Black-3-piece-Softside-Spinner-Set.product.100116079.html

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 11:48:41 AM »
I got my 16 year old supplies for her new (old beat up red chevy P.O.S. :) ) car, consisting of: a good 2 ton jack, jumper cables, a few quarts of oil, 2 cans of fix-a-flat, flash light, and other essentials.  I got my 10 year old son a few good whittling knives and some kevlar gloves, a beginners book,  along with a bunch of good carving wood, stilts, a slack line (for everyone really), and a good compass, and my youngest (5 years old) got a nice doll house with furniture, wood block stilts with the ropes, and some board games..
I think everyone will be happy :) and hopefully very very busy!