Author Topic: Cheapest way to get an iPhone 6S or plus?  (Read 71531 times)

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Cheapest way to get an iPhone 6S or plus?
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »
Ordered phone and received it yesterday.  Submitted the unluck request today before I turned it on and activated then got email that it was accepted and to follow instructions. 

Problem is that the instructions require a non-ATT sim card to be installed to unlock the phonem, which I don't have. Anybody know how do do this with out a non-ATT sim card.

HELP!!!

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
Ordered phone and received it yesterday.  Submitted the unluck request today before I turned it on and activated then got email that it was accepted and to follow instructions. 

Problem is that the instructions require a non-ATT sim card to be installed to unlock the phonem, which I don't have. Anybody know how do do this with out a non-ATT sim card.

HELP!!!
You can ask someone for their nano sim card? Or walk to a Tmo store and request for a Tmo Sim for testing purpose? Or if you are ready to wait, order an H2O or Lyca Sim off amazon for 1cent and it will be delivered in a week? Or goto one of those small kiosk stores in a mall, ask them to test with a non-att Sim and give them couple of dollars?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:10:52 AM by dudde_devaru »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2015, 10:11:27 AM »

HELP!!!

Backup, erase, restore should get it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

Otherwise, either ask a friend using a nanoSIM with another carrier to see if you can borrow it, or pick up a P'tel nanoSIM off of Ebay for 99¢ with shipping and be patient for a few days.

order an H2O or Lyca Sim off amazon for 1cent

Ordering an H2O Wireless SIM card isn't going to do anything. Most AT&T MVNO SIMs (including Locus' H2O) will be detected as just another AT&T SIM by the phone.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:20:03 AM by I.P. Daley »

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »

HELP!!!

Backup, erase, restore should get it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

Otherwise, either ask a friend using a nanoSIM with another carrier to see if you can borrow it, or pick up a P'tel nanoSIM off of Ebay for 99¢ with shipping and be patient for a few days.

order an H2O or Lyca Sim off amazon for 1cent

Ordering an H2O Wireless SIM card isn't going to do anything. Most AT&T MVNO SIMs (including Locus' H2O) will be detected as just another AT&T SIM by the phone.
I remember you saying even the H20 Sim needs to have an 'unlocked' phone for it to work? Or was that only for the data to work?

I haven't replied to your earlier responses. I have gained so much knowledge regarding the latest 'fingerings' the service providers are doing even on unlocked phones. Thanks!
My views/replies earlier was based on the previous generation iPhones.

I had got a new iPhone5 from ATT full price and did not have to unlock it to work on H20. I used the H20 APN and it just worked fine without unlocking. Looks like it's changed now!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:34:05 AM by dudde_devaru »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »

HELP!!!

Unlock request number: xxxxxxxxx
Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.
Congratulations! Here are your unlock instructions:
For iOS 7 or later devices, please turn off Find My iPhone before unlocking your device.
Once you have received the email confirming AT&T has approved and processed your unlock request, follow these instructions to complete the unlock for your device.
Using a Non-AT&T SIM Card:
1. Remove your SIM card and insert the new SIM card.
2. Complete the setup process.
Using an AT&T SIM Card:
1. Back up your iPhone.
2. When you have a backup, erase your iPhone.
3. Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.
Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

Sincerely,
The AT&T Customer Care Team

Basically, it was erase the phone and then switch it on again.

The main problem is that if you don't have another company's SIM card, how do you know for sure? I called AT&T and they verbally confirmed my phone was unlocked.

At that point, I remembered I had another nano SIM from another company laying around so I popped it in. You can also borrow from a friend since you just need it for a few mins to double check.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2015, 11:09:13 AM »
Otherwise, either ask a friend using a nanoSIM with another carrier to see if you can borrow it,

Did this....and it worked.  Still have to turn phone with ATT sim to activate but want to ride out my prepaid month til I get closer to the end of cycle.....so hard though not to play with new bling.

For iOS 7 or later devices, please turn off Find My iPhone before unlocking your device.

It occurs to me that I didn't state which way I was going...I went with galaxy not apple, so that may be some of the differences.

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2015, 11:39:41 AM »
I am still getting phone service through work for now.  When I had flip phones I usually only replaced them when the battery life went to heck.  It was cheaper for the phone person at work to order me a new flip phone than to order a new battery.  My boss said I should change to a smartphone when I had my last flip phone, but I resisted.  I finally broke my flip phone in 2013 and was forced to go to a smartphone.

If it was up to me I would probably keep my iPhone until the battery was shot or the phone quit working.  My employer replaced my 5S with a 6 Plus recently even though the 5S was just fine.  I would not replace a phone that wasn't even two years old if it was mine.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
Otherwise, either ask a friend using a nanoSIM with another carrier to see if you can borrow it,

Did this....and it worked.  Still have to turn phone with ATT sim to activate but want to ride out my prepaid month til I get closer to the end of cycle.....so hard though not to play with new bling.

It occurs to me that I didn't state which way I was going...I went with galaxy not apple, so that may be some of the differences.

Wouldn't you be able to use it in airplane mode if you turn it on without a SIM? That's how we've been using our iphone - just on airplane mode with wifi. And yes, it's been a lot of fun to play with our new bling. My husband downloaded this really dumb game and he and my daughter have been spending a fair bit of time playing it lol. The funny part is that it isn't even a fancy iphone game...it's very much a very basic game with terrible graphics and interface (I gave it a shot). But they are having a blast. (normally my husband doesn't play *any* games on our smartphones). Unfortunately, it means I get less time with the iPhone in the evenings and have to make do with my own Blackberry.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
I remember you saying even the H20 Sim needs to have an 'unlocked' phone for it to work? Or was that only for the data to work?

Data APNs are typically locked down in software on most all handsets (including AT&T) when the handset's hardware SIM card reader is also carrier locked. This way, even if you switch to an AT&T MVNO with an AT&T postpaid locked handset, it prevents the user from gaining mobile data access from a cheaper provider on their own network without paying off the phone, completing your contract, and kissing Ma Vader's rings before going on your merry way. This is also how they keep you from buying a cheaper subsidized handset from say AT&T's prepaid GoPhone and Cricket divisions and taking it to another, cheaper AT&T MVNO if you want/need data access or MMS support without first keeping it active on a GoPhone/Cricket account for 12 months to recoup the subsidy before allowing you the freedom to leave through carrier unlocking. It works this way on the T-Mobile end as well as other GSM providers around the world who practice carrier locking, too.

The thing is, most MVNO SIM cards are typically recognized by the handsets as SIM cards from their parent network on the hardware level. Airvoice and H2O SIM cards are recognized as AT&T, P'tel and Ting as T-Mobile, etc. Because of this, it'll let you make and receive calls and SMS messages even with a carrier locked handset using an active SIM card from an MVNO on the same network as the phone is locked to, but APNs for mobile data and MMS cannot be changed on the software end due to the carrier locking. Due to this nature of the GSM hardware, they may not be able to prevent the phone calls and SMS messages on these locked handsets with other MVNO's SIM cards on their network from working short of blacklisting the phone's IMEI (which they will do), but they can still cripple it by completely blocking data access and configuration.

(Fun Fact: You can actually use an unused AT&T SIM card to activate service with most AT&T MVNOs such as Airvoice Wireless.)

This is where it's gotten messy for iPhones. With T-Mobile network SIM cards, if the handset is carrier unlocked, the APN settings are accessible for manual configuration and there's no data configuration trauma with any T-Mobile or T-Mo MVNO. With AT&T network SIM cards even in an unlocked handset, however, the APN settings remain hidden away and inaccessible... and it's been this way and only gotten worse since iOS7. Clearly, this creates a problem. Unless your AT&T MVNO is on Apple's officially blessed provider list (Consumer Cellular, Cricket, GoPhone, StraightTalk) which auto-configures the APNs for you based on the carrier detected in software, any other AT&T MVNO SIM will effectively set these phones to AT&T postpaid APNs by default upon insertion due to their lack of official auto-configuration support from Apple.

Unfortunately, because you also have no way of manually configuring the APNs for your AT&T MVNO (Airvoice, H2O Wireless, Puretalk USA, Red Pocket, etc.) due to this setting lock-out "auto-configure" feature, you still have data configuration issues even after carrier unlocking. This is where needing to use unlockit.co.nz just to set your data APN now comes into play. To make matters worse, the MMS settings for these non-blessed AT&T MVNOs typically can't be configured most of the time now as well even using unlockit without jailbreaking. It's a hot mess, and it's why I typically don't recommend iPhone users who need MMS support to use any AT&T MVNOs from the guide anymore except for Consumer Cellular.

Make sense?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:53:01 PM by I.P. Daley »

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »
<Encyclopedia>
Make sense?
You sir, deserve a cookie
Thank you for all the knowledge share. What would the world be without unlockit.nz! What would the world be without unlocked android phones!

Do people still use MMS? 9/10 of my contacts replied "U mad bro?" I am glad that my understanding is not totally wrong.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »
A giant cookie with lots and lots of M&Ms! Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge! And yes..I don't know what we would do without unlockin.nz.

I remember when I first set up my unlocked iPhone 5 on T-Mobile. Everything worked perfectly, even data. Then we updated to a newer iOS ..maybe iOS 7? All of a sudden, my data stopped working. After a bunch of googling...I found unlockin.nz. Problems solved.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
Do people still use MMS? 9/10 of my contacts replied "U mad bro?" I am glad that my understanding is not totally wrong.

Far more than they even realize.

SMS = Short Message Service, 7-bit text, 160 character cap. Like phone calls, all delivery requirements based solely on phone number and associated IMSI.
MMS = Multimedia Messaging Service, handles everything that won't fit into an SMS. Uses additional mobile network data and a provider-specific proxy server, requires additional software level configuration to handle message content delivery.

Sending an image/video/audio? MMS. (duh)
Text message to multiple recipients? MMS.
Text message longer than 160 characters? MMS.

iMessage actually relies on it quite heavily if you don't sign in your Apple ID or when communicating with your contacts who are not plugged into the Apple mothership.

The More You Know
===========

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:30 PM »

Sending an image/video/audio? MMS. (duh)
Text message to multiple recipients? MMS.

The More You Know
===========

Yeah. I know these all are in MMS category. What i really meant to say is, WhatsApp and other communication apps have killed SMS/MMS. <source- internet>
There are hardly very very few people I know of who have Smartphone and iPhone (yeah iPhones are not smart. That's how retailers classify ) and not using WhatsApp/Fb messenger!

I know there are some cases wherein you have to convey messages to someone whom you do not want to add into your WhatsApp contact list.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2015, 10:40:50 PM »
This has been a bit of a mini-nightmare for me.

I submitted the order Saturday.  Was told i'd get an email when it shipped.  I gave it until Wednesday morning.  I called AT&T and they said "oh we have one last credit check we need to do".

I had received nothing about this but they asked me 4 questions about a truck I bought several years ago.  When I bought the truck, I opened a line of credit and then wrote a check for the loan a month after te first payment came due.  In other words, I paid cash for the truck.

Apparently I answered one or more of the 4 questions wrong about the truck purchase and my "request was denied, which automatically cancels my order"

I then called citi, who extended me the credit card which I'm using daily by the way.  They claimed the order wasn't cancelled.  I called AT&T back and they said unequivocally it was cancelled.

Now I'm back to square one.  Seems others have had a better experience thus far. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2015, 12:33:55 AM »

Really?  How do I get texts longer than 160 characters (split up into multiple messages) when using a service that only supports SMS, not MMS (like Google voice)?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bertram

• Bristles
  • I'm not a chef
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2015, 02:47:59 AM »
The sending device will split up text messages into 160 character chunks. There are some devices or were back when wap was how the mobile future was envisioned, that even piece the multiple messages back into a single message on the receiving end. Back when Nokia ruled the device landscape this was a quasi standard.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2015, 02:49:01 AM »
The sending device will split up text messages into 160 character chunks.

So then wouldn't that still be SMS?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bertram

• Bristles
  • I'm not a chef
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2015, 03:34:44 AM »
From what I describe it would be, but it very much depends on the device. IT is not always transparent what the device is doing from the point of view of the enduser. I remember owning devices that would sneakily switch to mms without telling you when you exceeded the character limit, I remember intentionally configuring the wrong APNs for mms service to prevent the device from sending mms. I stopped worrying when I switched to iPhones and data plans.

Edit: to clarify what I originally wanted to say was that there is always a 160 limit to sms even if it appears that you get longer sms.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:36:24 AM by Bertram »

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2015, 07:10:17 AM »
This has been a bit of a mini-nightmare for me.

I submitted the order Saturday.  Was told i'd get an email when it shipped.  I gave it until Wednesday morning.  I called AT&T and they said "oh we have one last credit check we need to do".

I had received nothing about this but they asked me 4 questions about a truck I bought several years ago.  When I bought the truck, I opened a line of credit and then wrote a check for the loan a month after te first payment came due.  In other words, I paid cash for the truck.

Apparently I answered one or more of the 4 questions wrong about the truck purchase and my "request was denied, which automatically cancels my order"

I then called citi, who extended me the credit card which I'm using daily by the way.  They claimed the order wasn't cancelled.  I called AT&T back and they said unequivocally it was cancelled.

Now I'm back to square one.  Seems others have had a better experience thus far.

Sorry it isn't working for you. I will note, words mean things to businesses. When you say "In other words, I paid cash for the truck", businesses don't give a crap how you paid for the truck. They would be pleased as punch if you were thousands of dollars under water on the truck. What they care about is checking boxes and following their bureaucracy. So I would look into that situation and see if you got dinged for something. It doesn't matter what the big picture was when you answer their questions, you need to make sure you can answer them correctly from the technical standpoint if the questions come up again.

I think one of things I hate most about doing credit card offers is that it is like a game, you have to play by their rules and then you get a little reward. They are in charge and if you don't jump through the right hoops you are screwed. I just don't like putting myself in that position of proving myself or jumping through hoops for a bunch of bureaucrats...

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »
Other than a few conusing steps, it has been smooth for me too.  But it is all about the endgame (the rebate), hopefully that goes smooth for me and others who did this.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2015, 09:38:45 AM »

Really?

Bertram covered it pretty well. My own response was mostly targeted within the context of the Apple ecosystem, though. Android does this as well, but depending on the manufacturer and build, can potentially be disabled. It does seem silly to demand MMS usage on longer text-only messages where SMS would (and used to) work just fine, but it's a great self-propagating financial extortion weapon used by carriers. What better way to force more expensive service plans as a "necessity" but by breaking something so fundamentally used on your hideously expensive phone? It also discourage your contacts from using cheaper phones and plans to communicate with you by preventing delivery due to lack of MMS and general peer pressure on their end.

I think one of things I hate most about doing credit card offers is that it is like a game, you have to play by their rules and then you get a little reward. They are in charge and if you don't jump through the right hoops you are screwed. I just don't like putting myself in that position of proving myself or jumping through hoops for a bunch of bureaucrats...

Easy solution: don't play the game.

Nothing about this CC deal looks like a bargain. I'll just stick with buying fully-unlocked, used phones that still gets the job done and are cheaper to buy than the obligatory first month of phone service you guys have to pay to a carrier you don't even use, just to manufacture another $2k in spending to get an expensive fancypants phone for "free". I'll also encourage others to ask themselves if they actually need a $650 phone, eschew the temptation and follow my example.

If you can't justify the full retail price even if you're FIREd, you don't need any of these phones. If you have to turn tricks for one just to create the illusion of making it "justifiably affordable", then you're just being cheap and needlessly riding the hedonic treadmill.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:40:32 AM by I.P. Daley »

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2015, 09:50:06 AM »
Nothing about this CC deal looks like a bargain. I'll just stick with buying fully-unlocked, used phones that still gets the job done and are cheaper to buy than the obligatory first month of phone service you guys have to pay to a carrier you don't even use, just to manufacture another $2k in spending to get an expensive fancypants phone for "free". I'll also encourage others to ask themselves if they actually need a $650 phone, eschew the temptation and follow my example.

If you can't justify the full retail price even if you're FIREd, you don't need any of these phones. If you have to turn tricks for one just to create the illusion of making it "justifiably affordable", then you're just being cheap and needlessly riding the hedonic treadmill.

I need a new phone but I fully admit I don't NEED a $650 one.... but I doubt most here are "manufacturing" spending, I know I am not.  Re the first month cost I am indifferent as I am still on the treadmill and able to expense my service, even still I don't see it as a bad deal. For less than a used phone you can get a new one with the latest, or almost latest, model so it will theoretically last longer....doesn't seem like a bad deal to me, not saying it is the greatest deal, but still not bad.  But to each their own.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2015, 10:06:22 AM »
I need a new phone but I fully admit I don't NEED a $650 one.... but I doubt most here are "manufacturing" spending, I know I am not.  Re the first month cost I am indifferent as I am still on the treadmill and able to expense my service, even still I don't see it as a bad deal. For less than a used phone you can get a new one with the latest, or almost latest, model so it will theoretically last longer....doesn't seem like a bad deal to me, not saying it is the greatest deal, but still not bad.  But to each their own.

"I need another phone and I'm spending the money anyway, so I might as well re-arrange my finances, services, and commit to spending more than I normally would otherwise for a phone in the hopes of playing the game right to hopefully collect a future rebate that should make it cheap to free."

Did I nutshell that line of thought sufficiently to do it justice?

If so, it still smacks of sunk cost fallacy.

No offense intended, it just doesn't seem that rational.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2015, 11:29:58 AM »

I have no problem with the facepunches for getting an iphone 6s by credit card offer, since the total cost still isn't fee, more like $150. And I absolutely agree simply not doing cc deals at all is the best way of avoiding the hassles and issues they bring. Hell, just owning a fancy smart phone can lead to additional spending, maybe a nice case, maybe simply the idea that you are getting "used" to fancy things and that leads to other purchases. So your thoughts are completely appropriate in my view.

We each have our vices, some more than others, and I think the key part is to recognize the choices, realize they are in opposition to our goal of FI, and understand the affect of these weakness on our financial future. I fully realize I am not "saving" a damn cent with this deal, I'm spending hard earned money now that I do not need to spend. It's a choice I make that is not mustachian and certainly no one in debt should be doing things like this, unless to sell the phone for a $400 profit.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »

"I need another phone and I'm spending the money anyway, so I might as well re-arrange my finances, services, and commit to spending more than I normally would otherwise for a phone in the hopes of playing the game right to hopefully collect a future rebate that should make it cheap to free."

Did I nutshell that line of thought sufficiently to do it justice?

Made a slight correction so that your line of thought is more accurate.....it is a slight rearrangement of finances and services (temporarily) but I am not spending any differently...this is the first time I have used a credit card different than the one I have had for the last 15 years....spending $1350 to get a free phone seems like a good trade in this case....sure there were some incremental costs (some would have been incurred even with a cheap or used phone).

Not sure how you think this falls under sunk cost fallacy, which by definition means you spent the money or time on something then keep justifying/worrying about it (such as finishing a whole sandwich when only a half would have done simply for the fact that you already paid for it).

If so, it still smacks of sunk cost fallacy.

There is no sunk cost here as we are consciously making a decision to optimize a purchase that I was going to make regardless...this excludes people who are doing this who already have decent workable phones and simply doing it for the bling....in my case my phone is crapping out, the microphone doesn't work, the memory is taken up by three f'in apps and OS (it only had 1.3GB after OS) and it crashes all the time (two weeks ago I wiped it clean back to original settings to get rid of anything not essential....and my work requires me to have a phone with access to the company email....and that app fails fairly regularly. 

Funny thing about being rational....it is highly subjective and dependent on one's own view....So I am not offended.  As the saying goes....you can rationalize anything.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2015, 06:40:42 PM »
Got my card in the mail and just pulled the trigger on my new iPhone. Merry Christmas to me. I already pay my bills every month by credit card, so I did not have to manufacture any spending and should be able to hit the requirement no problem especially since the cost of the phone counts.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2015, 07:02:23 PM »
Like I said in an earlier post, I considered all the costs involved in this "free phone", like I do with all CC bonus offers. For me, it ended up being $300 for my iPhone 6S 64G (at cheapest, the fees, etc total up to close to $200). I was already planning to spend about $250-$300 for a used iPhone 5S so at the end of the day, I decided that the extra "hassle" was worth it. And yes, make no mistake about it - it is a hassle and only you can decide if it is worth it. Spending the extra $1300 in 3 months really isn't too hard when you put all your spending on a CC.

All credit card hacking is a hassle - some deals are fairly easy, some are very complicated. I pick and choose which I am going to do based on what I feel the reward is worth - and that changes all the time.

When I first saw this offer a few months ago, it wasn't worth it to me as I had a fully functioning iPhone 5 that I had no need to upgrade. I didn't consider $200-$300 "worth it". Then my iPhone 5 died and I was in the market. Yes, we could have gotten by with a $50-$100 basic smartphone. But we did want the fancypants features of a premium phone. So we finally settled on a $300 budget. I considered this deal again and it made sense.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
What is the best way to sell my 4s?  How much could it bring?

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2015, 05:55:15 PM »
The easiest way to sell an iPhone 4s is any of the numerous places on the Internet that pay money for old phones.  You will only get $20 or so for a 4s.

It looks I won't need to be finding another phone as my employer decided to continue with employer paid phones for now.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2015, 06:03:43 PM »
What does it mean to "unlock" an iPhone?

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2015, 06:47:07 PM »
Went to the AT&T corporate store tonight. They were aware of the $650 rebate and all was going well until I told them I was currently on cricket.

Their manager told me they weren't able to port a phone number from cricket to AT&T so they could sell me the phone but I'd have to get a new phone number which is undesirable.

Is there any truth to that?  I had no issues porting my number from AT&T to cricket a couple of years ago.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2015, 07:18:58 PM »
What is the best way to sell my 4s?  How much could it bring?
Not all that much...  Your best bet, IMHO, is to sell it locally.  I had put a new battery in my unlocked AT&T 4s and surprisingly sold it to a neighbor for $80 a couple month ago via our neighborhood's "Next Door" website.  I think she was willing to pay more because I did a bit of handholding (a lot of emails while she figured out if she could use it for the service she wanted), and the fact that we live in the same neighborhood probably helped as well.

Craigslist might have gotten me even more hassles and less money, but still more than $20, I think.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2015, 08:41:58 PM »
What does it mean to "unlock" an iPhone?

It means that you can use the phone with any carrier.  Carriers like ATT will sell you a phone that will only work with them or some re-seller of their service.  You couldn't move it to Tmobile, Verizon, or some out of the country carrier if you switched SIM cards.  So unlocking mean that you can just pop in a new SIM card and you phone will work with that carriers SIM card.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »
I recently bought a used iPhone 4S (home button doesn't work) for $25 from our local ads. Got it for $25 and thought it was a great deal.

Would have paid at least $50, maybe a bit more for one in better condition. It does all the basics and still functions pretty well. My son plays Mine craft an my daughter uses Instagram and they can call/text me. YouTube also works fine on it.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »
Went to the AT&T corporate store tonight. They were aware of the $650 rebate and all was going well until I told them I was currently on cricket.

Their manager told me they weren't able to port a phone number from cricket to AT&T so they could sell me the phone but I'd have to get a new phone number which is undesirable.

Is there any truth to that?  I had no issues porting my number from AT&T to cricket a couple of years ago.

You don't have to port your phone number, you could just get the phone with a new number, and after 15 days cancel the service and put in the SIM card from your old phone to the new one.  Even if it is a different size SIM slot, you can just use a scissor to make it fit in the SIM slot.  Really easy, I've done it many times, there YouTube videos on it.

Presto you now have a new with your old number.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2015, 10:58:51 PM »
First, if you are using it for the next 4 years...and will ensure the future-proofing of the device.

Seriously?  Four years?  Is anyone here actually using a 4 year old smartphone?

The iphone 4s was released four years ago.  That was five iphones ago.  Is anyone still using one of those that they got within a month of the initial release date, when it was the brand-spanking-newest phone in the world?  I'm skeptical.  This market moves too fast.

I'm happy to get two years out of a smartphone, three if I'm really babying it and by then the OS is likely to be at least three generations out of date and half of the new apps in the marketplace won't work. 

Anyone expecting to get 4 years out of a new phone is living in a fantasy world.  Amortize your phone purchase over 24 months and then pray you don't drop it before then.

I have a day one iPhone 5. So 3 years..2 months so far. Likely not to replace it for at least another year. I know someone still using an iPhone 4.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2015, 11:47:07 PM »

You don't have to port your phone number, you could just get the phone with a new number, and after 15 days cancel the service and put in the SIM card from your old phone to the new one.  Even if it is a different size SIM slot, you can just use a scissor to make it fit in the SIM slot.  Really easy, I've done it many times, there YouTube videos on it.

Presto you now have a new with your old number.

Hmmm. So I could do the following:

1.  go to AT&T Saturday and but a brand new phone with a new number

2. have them activate the service.

3. Then, I could take the phone home, take the sim out of my 4s. Put my 4s sim in my brand new 6a Plus iPhone and the phone would be live in cricket?

4. After 15 days on AT&T I could call and cancel my AT&T service

And that's it?

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2015, 01:04:59 AM »
Waiting 15 days to cancel the service is specific to the ATT Citi card offer.  If you go to ATT and just straight out buy the phone with no contract, after it has been unlocked then you can use your Cricket SIM on the new Iphone 6s.  The SIM card on your 4s won't fit into the slot of the 6s, so you would have to cut it to make it fit, again search on how to convert a micro SIM to a nano SIM.  Exact same thing I did for my wife.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2015, 07:54:22 AM »
Applied on Nov11, Received card on Nov19.
I just activated and logged in, I am seeing "ATT phone offer". But the web link seems to be very generic and not having any 'unique phone offer link'

Am I looking at the right place?

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2015, 08:11:51 AM »
I just activated and logged in, I am seeing "ATT phone offer". But the web link seems to be very generic and not having any 'unique phone offer link'

I saw the link at the bottom left. It takes you to the at &t site. You have to select a service plan but it doesn't activate or charge you anything for the plan.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2015, 08:18:42 AM »
Waiting 15 days to cancel the service is specific to the ATT Citi card offer.  If you go to ATT and just straight out buy the phone with no contract, after it has been unlocked then you can use your Cricket SIM on the new Iphone 6s.  The SIM card on your 4s won't fit into the slot of the 6s, so you would have to cut it to make it fit, again search on how to convert a micro SIM to a nano SIM.  Exact same thing I did for my wife.

Ok. To try to keep this clear for me:

1) can't he AT&T store unlock the phone when I buy it? 

2) if not, or unsure, can the phone be unlocked after my service has started?  They are going to need to give me a new phone number so I want to be clear so I ultimately get my old number in the new phone with the sim I have in my 4s.

3). I am trying to use the credit card offer so I can get the $650

4) I wonder if cricket can cut the sim for me. If not, I'll do myself. Is the risk pretty low?  I've already watched the video.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2015, 10:13:01 AM »

2) if not, or unsure, can the phone be unlocked after my service has started?  They are going to need to give me a new phone number so I want to be clear so I ultimately get my old number in the new phone with the sim I have in my 4s.

4) I wonder if cricket can cut the sim for me. If not, I'll do myself. Is the risk pretty low?  I've already watched the video.

In order to do the credit card offer you need to do the credit card offer. You can't go to the AT&T store and do it there, you need to apply for the card, get the card, order the iphone from the special link, get the iphone, enter the IMEI number on the unlock site (posted earlier in this thread) to get it unlocked, and then you can use whatever sim you want with whatever service you want on the phone. Just remember to cancel AT&T service after 15 days so you don't keep getting charged for that, and make sure to spend total of $2000 on the card as required for the $650 rebate.

No, the AT&T store can't unlock (at least they couldn't in the past, don't think that has changed)

If you get the iphone at the store you will need to send receipt in to prove you purchased the iphone in order to get the rebate. Sounded messy, use the link.

The new number you get with AT&T is just for the service with AT&T. Since you are keeping your Cricket service you don't need that number and it goes away when you cancel service. The number you have with Cricket stays with the sim which you are going to put in the new iphone.

Cutting a sim is not hard, I have done it. If you aren't sure or don't have a good solid scissors you can use sandpaper. You can take a little bit off at a time with less risk of a slip that damages the sim, just takes longer. I just use a scissors.

Remember, there is a $95 fee for the card, activation fee, service fee, etc. It isn't free, at least $150 out of pocket to get the lowest cost iphone.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:15:32 AM by James »

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »

I saw the link at the bottom left. It takes you to the at &t site. You have to select a service plan but it doesn't activate or charge you anything for the plan.
Yeah I know the link but was confused because it was not a unique link at all. I figured that it is the intended link to click!
Also, I am sort of confident to see the promo information during the checkout process!

I already have an ATT family line. Thinking of adding it to the account to save on the activation fee crap. But its a pain to deal with ATT if I have to call/chat with them!

Also, reading tons of information on FlyerTalk where people have got their $650 credit messed up. :(

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »

In order to do the credit card offer you need to do the credit card offer. You can't go to the AT&T store and do it there, you need to apply for the card, get the card, order the iphone from the special link, get the iphone, enter the IMEI number on the unlock site (posted earlier in this thread) to get it unlocked, and then you can use whatever sim you want with whatever service you want on the phone. Just remember to cancel AT&T service after 15 days so you don't keep getting charged for that, and make sure to spend total of $2000 on the card as required for the $650 rebate.

No, the AT&T store can't unlock (at least they couldn't in the past, don't think that has changed)

If you get the iphone at the store you will need to send receipt in to prove you purchased the iphone in order to get the rebate. Sounded messy, use the link.

The new number you get with AT&T is just for the service with AT&T. Since you are keeping your Cricket service you don't need that number and it goes away when you cancel service. The number you have with Cricket stays with the sim which you are going to put in the new iphone.

Cutting a sim is not hard, I have done it. If you aren't sure or don't have a good solid scissors you can use sandpaper. You can take a little bit off at a time with less risk of a slip that damages the sim, just takes longer. I just use a scissors.

Remember, there is a $95 fee for the card, activation fee, service fee, etc. It isn't free, at least $150 out of pocket to get the lowest cost iphone.

Thanks for the info.

To be clear, I've signed up for the card, received the card and activated the card.

When I used the link to buy the phone, they put a hold on my order at AT&T.  I was told when I taked to AT&T it was because I'm not already on AT&T.  They then asked me about a several year old truck "loan" that I paid in full < 30 days before taking on the loan.

I didn't answer the esoteric questions correctly so AT&T cancelled my order.  I'm still using the Citi card daily so it's not a credit issue with the card.

AT&T told me my only option now was to go into the store and purchase in person.  Then to mail or fax in the receipt for the rebate.

I believe all of this, per AT&T, is because i wasn't already on AT&T's cell phone service.  At least that's what the person in the call center told me.  They only typically know what they read on the screen so don't know if that's a valid reason or not, but either way I have to now buy the phone in the store.

I'm assuming I don't have to unlock the phone BEFORE i enable the AT&T service.  I'll have to get a new phone number with AT&T though and will then shave / cut down my SIM card to put in the new iPhone 6S Plus I'm buying.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »
First, if you are using it for the next 4 years...and will ensure the future-proofing of the device.

The iphone 4s was released four years ago.  That was five iphones ago.  Is anyone still using one of those that they got within a month of the initial release date, when it was the brand-spanking-newest phone in the world?  I'm skeptical.  This market moves too fast.

I'm happy to get two years out of a smartphone, three if I'm really babying it and by then the OS is likely to be at least three generations out of date and half of the new apps in the marketplace won't work. 

Anyone expecting to get 4 years out of a new phone is living in a fantasy world.  Amortize your phone purchase over 24 months and then pray you don't drop it before then.

I'm still using a 4.  Not even a 4S.  Nothing wrong with it.  I do wish it had voice in the maps, but now I've discovered Waze so that should be solved. 

That said, I've got a move to Japan coming up and if I understand correctly, with the carrier I want there (Softbank), I won't be able to use my 4 and that I will have to either show up with a 6, buy a new phone from them, or find someone selling an old Soft bank phone.  I'm hoping for the latter, but being without a phone there for more than a few days isn't an option.  DH cares more about having a newer phone (although currently he only has a 4S) so I might mention this offer to him, assuming I can confirm that Softbank will in fact let us use an unlocked 6 that we show up with. 

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2015, 05:05:22 PM »
I'm assuming I don't have to unlock the phone BEFORE i enable the AT&T service.  I'll have to get a new phone number with AT&T though and will then shave / cut down my SIM card to put in the new iPhone 6S Plus I'm buying.

According to this forum post Cricket SIMs will work on AT&T phones, you should be good to go.  Let us know how it works out for you.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1844732-Few-specific-questions

Thanks a lot guys, after all this effort researching how to get a Iphone 6s on AT&T with this offer I'm now going to get one myself.  So someone here is going to owe me some money for having to shell out cash for this offer!! 

This is supposed to be a frugality site not a dam consumer sucka product promotion blog!!!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2015, 07:32:39 PM »

According to this forum post Cricket SIMs will work on AT&T phones, you should be good to go.  Let us know how it works out for you.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1844732-Few-specific-questions

Thanks a lot guys, after all this effort researching how to get a Iphone 6s on AT&T with this offer I'm now going to get one myself.  So someone here is going to owe me some money for having to shell out cash for this offer!! 

This is supposed to be a frugality site not a dam consumer sucka product promotion blog!!!

That's what I said! But now I have the latest and greatest fancy pants iPhone 6S!

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2015, 10:07:27 AM »

I'm sure Sol's skepticism has been removed, but I thought I'd provide one more data point: I have friends and family on two 3GS iPhones, an iphone 4, and 3 iPhone 4Ss.  Most of these were not purchased new, but they are still really viable phones. 
The iPhone 4s can run the latest iOS (9) and doesn't do everything great, but if you don't need a fast phone (for games or other intensive stuff), it runs most apps that you would need (camera, maps, email, safari, iMessages). 

FIRE2022

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »
Just signed up for the card and received instant approval. I will be ordering the iPhone 6s. Has anyone actually received the $650 rebate in their account yet?

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »
I think I've concluded this rebate may not work for me.

I bought the new iPhone today in the store. I set it up with a separate number, which I didn't want to do, but my plan was to put the SIM from my 4s into the 6s Plus.

However, after setting up the new account, getting new number and leaving the store, I noticed numbers I had dialed a month ago on my iPhone 4s showed up on my new 6s Plus.

I assume this is because, when buying the new phone, I have to provide my ss# and even though it was completely separate, it's tying my two accounts together.

There's nothing in the rebate Ts and Cs about not being able to use the rebate if already on cricket, but I may be screwgied.

I have 14 days to return the phone so I'll try to find out for sure before then but if anyone knows anything for sure please let me know.

Has anyone successfully tried getting the rebate while already having a cricket number?