Author Topic: Cheapest clear plastic storage containers?  (Read 15038 times)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
Cheapest clear plastic storage containers?
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
I’m helping a friend organize their house and, after selling and throwing out all they want to get rid of, she has a need for some of those plastic storage tubs.

What’s the most mustachian way to purchase these?  One can easily spend $25 per bin / tub depending on the size

Doesn’t need to be industrial strength. I’ve never purchased these before and was a Little surprised at the price.

Any options cheaper than heading to Office Depot?

Zette

• Stubble
Re: Cheapest clear plastic storage containers?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:50:58 AM »
Costco and Walmart both carry them at reasonable prices.  I believe I've seen some sizes at the dollar stores, too.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 09:56:39 AM »
Where in her home will she be storing the bins and contents? If it's a garage or damp basement then consider getting some of the ones that truly seal out moisture -- container store has some. They are more $, but if she wants the stuff then she doesn't want it wrecked by mildew.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 10:23:40 AM »
Costco. They're very sturdy and it's easy to buy matched sets so they stack easily. WM tends to have lower quality and far less inventory, in my experience.

Zette

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »
There's definitely a cost vs quality tradeoff.  The very cheapest have annoying lids, but that may be fine if the bins do not need to be opened frequently.  I go a step up to get the Sterlite ones with a latching lid.

Most mustachian would be to rethink whether anything she is intending to store in a bin could be discarded or donated after all.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »
Best ones I have are from Costco.  I’m working on my garage now and the cheaper bins are just horrible. Just moving them around and stacking them and they’re breaking so easily.  They lasted just about 3 years. Just a couple bucks cheaper than the Costco bins.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »
Some of the cheap ones will crack just looking at them too.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:57:31 AM »
Target/Walmart/Costco/OD - please dont buy cheap ones and pile waste. Pay $ extra for long lasting ones.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:00:50 AM by Trying2bFrugal »