Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938924 times)

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1650 on: November 12, 2019, 01:39:08 AM »
Rain as we head toward summer.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1651 on: November 12, 2019, 01:48:23 AM »
Last year I started playing hockey again.  Scrounged up the gear from second hand stores and family members (aside from the skates, which I bought now). 

There is really not much that is more fun than getting out and playing a sport with a bunch of like minded folks for an hour or two, then having a couple of beers/whatever in the dressing room after.  Costwise it works out to a few bucks a session, more if I have a beer (maybe one time in 3).  A bargain at ten times the cost.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #1652 on: November 14, 2019, 05:23:22 PM »
The sunset. City of Rocks state park in NM has some of the prettiest I have seen.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1653 on: November 14, 2019, 06:38:10 PM »
Fresh dry washing off the line

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1654 on: November 14, 2019, 08:10:00 PM »
A really good choir rehearsal.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1655 on: November 15, 2019, 04:03:32 AM »
Hot homemade lasagna on a cold night

trashtalk

• Stubble
Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1656 on: November 15, 2019, 08:18:42 PM »
Raising monarch butterfly caterpillars and providing backyard habitat for birds and other critters.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1657 on: November 16, 2019, 02:28:40 AM »
Fixing or mending something. :)

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #1658 on: November 16, 2019, 04:00:11 AM »
There’s nothing in the world better than taking our child to the bookstore and watching them browse and read. And having ice cream afterwards. Because it won’t last
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:02:03 AM by nancyfrank232 »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1659 on: November 17, 2019, 01:34:42 AM »
A beautiful balmy sunny autumn weekend.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1660 on: November 17, 2019, 03:20:38 AM »
Finally getting over the worst cold I've had in years. Finally able to sleep at night and breath through my nose!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1661 on: November 17, 2019, 10:02:32 AM »

Thank you, OtherJen, for being in a choir.

I love going to free college recitals by sopranos and mezzosopranos, singing 19th century art songs, with just a piano accompaniment.  Beautiful, life-affirming,
mindblowing, and all free !!   

If there is a choir performing free, I go to those too.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1662 on: November 17, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »

I love going to free college recitals by sopranos and mezzosopranos, singing 19th century art songs, with just a piano accompaniment.  Beautiful, life-affirming,

I started going to a local barbershop chorus about a year ago.  My schedule keeps me from going more than about once per month, but I enjoy it when I get to go.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1663 on: November 17, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »
Enjoying a coffee on the front verandah listening to the birds in the early morning sunshine. 

Pity I had to go to work afterwards.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1664 on: November 17, 2019, 05:28:30 PM »
Heavy rain! I love a good downpour, especially when I'm able to stay inside.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1665 on: November 17, 2019, 07:03:48 PM »
Cooking for my family. Ironing clothes. Pumping some iron at the gym.

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #1666 on: November 19, 2019, 09:08:24 PM »
Holding my child’s hand while walking them to school

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1667 on: November 20, 2019, 10:07:17 AM »
I just made a batch of chicken stock to use in next week's Thanksgiving dinner. Free aromatherapy for the house.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1668 on: November 20, 2019, 12:27:31 PM »
Making spaghetti sauce from home-grown tomatoes. 

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1669 on: November 20, 2019, 12:38:56 PM »
Thunderstorms.  Most weather phenomena.

When my dog gets wiggle-butt-happy when I get home.

Fixing and building things.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1670 on: November 21, 2019, 02:19:02 PM »
The free PDF reader app, which means I can just scan everything and plunk my iPad in a black folder for concerts, rather than dragging the heavy book of carols and a separate folder of sheet music on stage.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1671 on: November 21, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »
A happy topic!

I have to come to deeply appreciate the things I don’t do that make me happy. I don’t watch much TV. I don’t go to shopping malls. I don’t engage strangers on politics or religion. I don’t fill out surveys. I don’t vote. I don’t smoke. I don’t take flyers.  I don’t watch professional sports.

To me, selective nonparticipation is the essence of freedom.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1672 on: November 21, 2019, 10:40:11 PM »
I dont go to meetings and that makes me soooo happy!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1673 on: November 22, 2019, 03:24:59 AM »
A happy topic!

I have to come to deeply appreciate the things I don’t do that make me happy. I don’t watch much TV. I don’t go to shopping malls. I don’t engage strangers on politics or religion. I don’t fill out surveys. I don’t vote. I don’t smoke. I don’t take flyers.  I don’t watch professional sports.

I am with you on not visiting shopping malls and that it is great not to watch TV. I even turned down some surveys, the last one is from my job that I have already given notice to.

But for the non voting thing, that means you would have to live with the consquences. That could be a disaster for you personally, depending on your situation (like ACA or no ACA).

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1674 on: November 22, 2019, 04:35:42 AM »
Decorating our hand-me-down Christmas tree with homemade ornaments while listening to Christmas carols. It looks so cozy and homey.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1675 on: November 22, 2019, 05:03:41 AM »
The sunrises this week have been gorgeous -- bright shades of pink and orange coming through fluffy clouds. 

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #1676 on: November 22, 2019, 07:15:28 AM »
A quiet, early morning cup of coffee with DW while the our kids are still asleep.....does not happen often enough :-)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1677 on: November 22, 2019, 09:22:54 AM »
A happy topic!

I am with you on not visiting shopping malls and that it is great not to watch TV. I even turned down some surveys, the last one is from my job that I have already given notice to.

But for the non voting thing, that means you would have to live with the consquences. That could be a disaster for you personally, depending on your situation (like ACA or no ACA).

I have to live with the consequences regardless.

I don’t want to steer a good thread into a discussion of politics so I’ll try to limit my response. I do have philosophical views on this topic, but no need to go there either. I can address this easily enough through math. The US is a winner take all election system. The only instance where my one vote would change the end result is in the case of a near tie when one vote would sway the result one way or the other. We have thousands of elected officials near ties do happen, and actual ties are very rare.  We’re talking “winning the lottery” type of odds that a single voter will cast the deciding vote in an election. From my perspective the cost of the time voting, not to mention the time spent preparing to vote is a poor investment given that my one vote is extremely unlikely to affect the end result.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #1678 on: November 22, 2019, 02:48:52 PM »
Yeah, if the intent of voting is to directly change the outcome of that particular vote, then the time investment isn't worth it. I take it (and the preparation for it) as a duty -- an acknowledgement of what I owe to the people around me. From that perspective the time spent preparing for it is a win, rather than a loss. But there's lots of ways of thinking about it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1679 on: November 22, 2019, 04:49:21 PM »
A happy topic!

I don’t want to steer a good thread into a discussion of politics so I’ll try to limit my response. I do have philosophical views on this topic, but no need to go there either. I can address this easily enough through math. The US is a winner take all election system. The only instance where my one vote would change the end result is in the case of a near tie when one vote would sway the result one way or the other. We have thousands of elected officials near ties do happen, and actual ties are very rare.  We’re talking “winning the lottery” type of odds that a single voter will cast the deciding vote in an election. From my perspective the cost of the time voting, not to mention the time spent preparing to vote is a poor investment given that my one vote is extremely unlikely to affect the end result.

As someone who works in non-partisan voter service, I recommend at least voting in local (municipal and school district) elections for the people who actually make the on-the-ground decisions about your local taxes, ordinances, and services. One vote can absolutely make a difference at that level, and you will have opportunities to meet your local candidates and elected officials and share your concerns. The candidates may even be your neighbors (our last city council election included a candidate a couple blocks away from me), or fellow church or club members.

I still vote in state and federal elections, but definitely understand why one might not want to bother.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1680 on: November 23, 2019, 10:12:06 AM »
A happy topic!

As someone who works in non-partisan voter service, I recommend at least voting in local (municipal and school district) elections for the people who actually make the on-the-ground decisions about your local taxes, ordinances, and services. One vote can absolutely make a difference at that level, and you will have opportunities to meet your local candidates and elected officials and share your concerns. The candidates may even be your neighbors (our last city council election included a candidate a couple blocks away from me), or fellow church or club members.

I still vote in state and federal elections, but definitely understand why one might not want to bother.

I am not allowed to vote in Norway in the national eclections, because I am not Norwegian. But I am allowed to vote locally, which I do, to push my local politics in a good direction. I gave one of my neighbours an extra personal vote, because she is very engaged and with an okay party.
I am still allowed to vote in my country of birth, which is a bit weird because I don't pay taxes there. The first election after I had moved out I didn't bother. Only when they got an extreme person as a prime minister candidate, I registered as a voter again. I felt it as a duty to do my best to prevent his election. Sometimes a small number of votes make the difference.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #1681 on: November 23, 2019, 12:17:09 PM »
Sitting on my balcony, occasionally looking up from my book to look out at the ocean. It is warm, but not too hot (Florida). 

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1682 on: November 23, 2019, 01:34:18 PM »
Today we worked together with a neighbor, removing weeds and branched from an area where we will build a playground. Nice to be working together on it.

On my property and adjacent to it much brush has been cleared so now I have my own 800-yard mountain bike trail. I like being out on my bike as the sun comes up over the mountains to the east.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1683 on: November 24, 2019, 04:04:21 AM »
Having lots of small birds and a daily visit of a squirrel at the bird feeder with sunflower seeds.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1684 on: November 24, 2019, 05:11:40 AM »
Everyone has been asking my 4 year old son what he wants for Christmas. His response is always the same: Christmas cookies, a Christmas tree & seeing his cousins. And "buying" books from the library. They've mentioned toys & he doesn't even know how to respond. I'll take simple holiday requests for as long as I can.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1685 on: November 24, 2019, 06:35:56 PM »
The huge lighted tree, skating rink, and holiday decorations have been installed downtown. I love Christmas, and downtown is all sparkly and festive. It was a great to walk around and enjoy the lights.

EscapedApe

• Stubble
« Reply #1686 on: November 25, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »
Riding my bike in cool and even cold weather. Didn't require alot of money to gather the gear spread out over time. Nicer than riding some of the summer days.

There's something very satisfying about gearing up and being fully-kitted out for a bike ride in cold weather. Base layer, insulating layer, wind-proof/rainproof layer, face mask - you feel like a cross between a ninja and a bear about to enter hibernation.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1687 on: November 25, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
Being greeted by our family dog in the evening. She barks sometimes but when she sees DW and I walk in we often get her "rooooooo.... rooooooo....." and lots of tail wagging. We call it yodeling.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1688 on: November 25, 2019, 05:29:02 PM »
Being greeted by our family dog in the evening. She barks sometimes but when she sees DW and I walk in we often get her "rooooooo.... rooooooo....." and lots of tail wagging. We call it yodeling.

Has she got husky in her? My good buddy is a husky and she rooo-rooos also.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1689 on: November 25, 2019, 05:47:08 PM »
-When a little one grabs your hand while walking
-Getting the next book in a series you love free from the library without any waiting
-A hot shower on a cold day
-Going to sleep under a down comforter in a cold bedroom
-Walks on a sunny autumn day
-My dog having the zoomies when I get home

hounton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1690 on: November 25, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »
I spent a dollar on fertalizer and an hour of time to bring back my deceased father's raspberries.  It turns out he got some kind of ever berry and the produced from July until the first frost in November.  Every time i see them in the store for 4 dollars a pint I gasp.

rice and beans

hiking

electric blankets -- bought on the cheap

PBS tv and podcasts

cooking from scratch

The fan I bought in January for 90 percent off.  The cashier gently mocked me for buying  a fan when it's cold.  Ten years later I'm still using it.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1691 on: November 26, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »

I started going to a local barbershop chorus about a year ago.  My schedule keeps me from going more than about once per month, but I enjoy it when I get to go.

Caught a local high school choir performing at a church. They had a soprano soloist for one song, accompanied by piano. Strong, clear, firm beautiful voice, even with the high notes, which is not always the case.   

I wrestled with whether or not to compliment the soprano afterwards. I did. She said she was hoping to make a living singing, after graduating from a 4 year music school. I told her I thought she would be a success due to her beautiful voice.   

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1692 on: November 27, 2019, 05:08:24 AM »

Caught a local high school choir performing at a church. They had a soprano soloist for one song, accompanied by piano. Strong, clear, firm beautiful voice, even with the high notes, which is not always the case.   

I wrestled with whether or not to compliment the soprano afterwards. I did. She said she was hoping to make a living singing, after graduating from a 4 year music school. I told her I thought she would be a success due to her beautiful voice.

All the choir love on this thread makes me happy!  I'm with you.  Our two highschoolers are both in choirs.  Their choirs perform sometimes alone and sometimes with various adult choirs/orchestras around the area for a big holiday concert or special event.  I love their performances.  And what a great activity for people of all ages -- meeting up with like minded folks to make beautiful music together.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1693 on: November 27, 2019, 05:28:53 AM »

All the choir love on this thread makes me happy!  I'm with you.  Our two highschoolers are both in choirs.  Their choirs perform sometimes alone and sometimes with various adult choirs/orchestras around the area for a big holiday concert or special event.  I love their performances.  And what a great activity for people of all ages -- meeting up with like minded folks to make beautiful music together.

Please encourage them to keep singing after high school! My family wanted me to give it up when I went to college so that I could focus solely on "real" academics. Turns out that the 1-credit choir courses both filled an arts requirement and were essential to my sanity. I'm about to start my 27th year of choral singing, and it's amazing how much more I learn each year.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1694 on: November 27, 2019, 05:50:29 AM »

Please encourage them to keep singing after high school! My family wanted me to give it up when I went to college so that I could focus solely on "real" academics. Turns out that the 1-credit choir courses both filled an arts requirement and were essential to my sanity. I'm about to start my 27th year of choral singing, and it's amazing how much more I learn each year.

I will -- promise!  They've been singing since first grade, and hopefully will continue their whole lives. 

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1695 on: November 27, 2019, 06:26:39 AM »

Haha, we call it her "Wookie call" when ours makes that noise.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1696 on: November 27, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »

Has she got husky in her? My good buddy is a husky and she rooo-rooos also.

Definitely no husky in this dog. Wrong size, wrong breed, etc. ;)

I love the "wookie call" name for it!

Another cheap happy thing - simple anticipation. Anticipation of anything positive.

Today it comes from seeing family this week, a nice holiday meal, hanging out with our kids tomorrow and taking a bike ride together.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:52:35 AM by Just Joe »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1697 on: November 27, 2019, 08:16:30 PM »
Annual Thanksgiving Eve lunch and grocery shopping with Mom.

Annual Thanksgiving Eve cooking/baking blitz while watching "This Christmas" and "Miracle on 34th Street" on the iPad. My house smells amazing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1698 on: November 28, 2019, 12:28:53 AM »
Under some circumstances: snow.

The weather has been depressing for weeks, with mostly rain. But I have hope that we might actually get so much snow this weekend that we can go cross country skiing, one of my favorite hobbies.

Under other circumstances, snow can be a PITA, like when you have to drive to work. That problem should be solved in other 2 weeks, because of FIRE.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1699 on: November 28, 2019, 06:58:33 PM »
The annual local Thanksgiving parade on TV, cheesy commentary and all.

Family dinner with an excess of good food.

Leftover Thanksgiving dinner for the next couple of days.