Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938913 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1350 on: March 03, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

This, but eaten at a totally non-mustachian ski resort, where lunch is $30/pp. And, you have your PB&J, water & an apple & enjoy life.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1351 on: March 03, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
Getting low on washing powder, and finding your preferred brand on special at the shops, at half price.  We normally buy in bulk, but I'm pretty sure we have at least 6 months worth in the cupboard now.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1352 on: March 04, 2019, 01:17:31 AM »
Yesterday I walked around the neighbourhood, listening to a podcast. I discovered that my favorite financial podcast (in Norwegian) had a follow up episode on FIRE. The week before, they talked about the FIRE concept for the first time, with a FIRE blogger as a guest. This time they were answering the response from listeners. I turned out they had gotten more reactions than ever after that first episode, both positive, negative and sceptic reactions. The financial expert in the podcast was in many ways quite positive about the concept and thought that many would benefit by gaining more financial freedom.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1353 on: March 06, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »
I found out today that we owe some in taxes to the Fed this year, and are getting some back from the State. It's netting out to less than $100. I'm just ridiculously thrilled at hitting that close to 0.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1354 on: March 07, 2019, 01:28:44 AM »
DH told me about a new outdoor podcast, which was nice to listen to. They talked about a book that might have been interesting to look through. I was able to order it in the library app. It might be available in 7 weeks from now, but that doesn't really matter.

And if it had been earlier in the winter, I would have said: snow. But now, after some weeks with very warm temperatures and signs of springtime, it seems more of a hassle to have to clean a thick layer of snow. At least, I hope that we will be able to cross country ski on a fresh trail tomorrow. (we no longer work on Fridays by default)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:31:20 AM by Linda_Norway »

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Striving for FI, no plans to RE yet.
« Reply #1355 on: March 07, 2019, 03:36:59 AM »
Hiking in the mountains just outside of my local city. Only real cost is fuel which is split between 2 - 5 people. Get hours in the outdoors to talk to friends among peace and quiet

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1356 on: March 07, 2019, 06:41:42 AM »
Working at my kitchen table this morning.  The table is in a nook with floor to ceiling windows so my view is woods, blue sky, sun and my next door neighbor's daffodils.  Every single morning I'm grateful that I work from home.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1357 on: March 07, 2019, 07:16:55 AM »
There is a financial magazin that I tried out for free 3 months. I wasn't as relevant as I thought it would be, too many articles about how to buy foreign properties for your own vacations. So I cancelled it on time before the 3 months were over. Now I got an offer per email to get a new copy for free (and 1 month online reading) with automatic cancellation. Of course I accept it. On their podcast, they promised to come back with an article about FIRE, so I hope that will be available within this month.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1358 on: March 07, 2019, 04:00:22 PM »
I buy my eggs from a local woman who raises chickens. She uses different breeds so the eggs are all colors (white, dark brown, light brown with dark brown spots, some are even pale blue-green) and she takes really good care of the birds so the shells are thick and the yolks are brilliant orange-yellow. They taste amazing. She only charges $2/dozen and she delivers them to my door. Every few weeks she gives me a free dozen because I return the cartons.

She has one of those big personalities that radiate joy and good will. Buying her eggs makes me happy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1359 on: March 08, 2019, 09:41:45 PM »
Free admission to the big art museum downtown because I live in one of the three counties supporting it with millage funding. Tonight, I enjoyed an excellent concert while surrounded by Rivera's "Detroit Industry" murals and perused the visiting pop art exhibit.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1360 on: March 10, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »
Arguing with Sol about healthcare policy. 

:)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:54:43 PM by EnjoyIt »

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1361 on: March 10, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
Arguing with Sol about healthcare policy. 

Following both threads.

This is the best post I've read today.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1362 on: March 10, 2019, 05:39:26 PM »
Not needing to go outside on a chilly, rainy, windy day.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1363 on: March 10, 2019, 06:16:35 PM »

mmmmm, yes, this!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1364 on: March 11, 2019, 03:41:56 AM »

mmmmm, yes, this!

+1
+ those days with heavy snow and lots of cars getting stuck and blocking the roads from/to our home.
+ days with frozen rain

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1365 on: March 11, 2019, 06:31:53 AM »
First sunny and warm day of the month! The smell of spring is in the air.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1366 on: March 11, 2019, 08:14:15 AM »
Noticed the fields are turning green, the birds were chatty outside this morn, and of course the temps are more comfortable. I think spring is around the corner. March can be surprising though with winter weather.so we're not there yet.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1367 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »
Noticed the fields are turning green, the birds were chatty outside this morn, and of course the temps are more comfortable. I think spring is around the corner. March can be surprising though with winter weather.so we're not there yet.

Yeah, sometimes we get snow into mid-April. One year, my dad and I had opening day baseball tickets in early April. We bundled up for temps in the low 30s and sat through 5 innings of sleet before we decided that it would be more fun to listen to the rest of the game in the warm car.

I never expect comfortable weather until the last week of April. It’s a nice surprise if we get a few warm, sunny days before then.

Kate Leiton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1368 on: March 11, 2019, 08:58:21 AM »
A walk in a park on a sunny day and a good book on a rainy day :)

Harrington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1369 on: March 11, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
I'm doing it right now......At the library reading all my favorite newspapers for free....

HoneyandSugar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1370 on: March 12, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »
Just took a walk on my break and came upon a jack rabbit on the trail behind my office. Too cute.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1371 on: March 12, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
Taking my group of middle school special needs students to Legally Blonde, the musical, performed by a local youth theater organization. It was amazingly well done & I got hugs from former students. Watching my students enjoy an afternoon with peers, away from their parents absolutely warmed my heart on this cold & very snowy March afternoon. They were so excited about having an afternoon out.

This gave me the feel goods!

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #1372 on: March 14, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »
Walking in the 60 degree weather - first day I've been able to do that without a jacket since October!

98% of the snow and ice has melted!

My DH got his bloodwork results back yesterday (after having had a heart attack in October) and his numbers were fantastic!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1373 on: March 14, 2019, 10:11:06 AM »
I fixed something!!!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1374 on: March 14, 2019, 12:21:13 PM »
Today is the first day this year that's been nice enough to ride my bike to work (according to my wimpy standards).  Of course, now it's early afternoon and we're getting pelted with rain...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1375 on: March 16, 2019, 03:40:21 PM »
Today is a Saturday. Despite of that, the ski track was not crowded at all. We got a nice workout and didn't need to pass many people with kids, sledges, dogs ect.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1376 on: March 16, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »
Welch's and champagne yeast.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1377 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:16 AM »
Our newly adopted cat sleeps deeply and twitches his paws and whiskers while he sleeps. It’s adorable.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1378 on: March 18, 2019, 08:08:16 AM »
Home brewed beer.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1379 on: March 18, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
Home brewed beer.

I love home brew.  Probably too much.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1380 on: March 18, 2019, 06:49:34 PM »
My garden moments in the past two weeks have been quite interesting. It is gardening season here in Florida and the weather has been practically perfect, so we've been using the gazebo daily for dining al fresco and taking breaks from our spring gardening.

Today was the first time I've ever seen our red-headed pileated woodpecker on the ground - up close and in person, instead of on high in the trees. He was pecking for bugs on a rotting limb that had fallen from our big oak tree.
He is definitely a big, beautiful bird - it was a thrill to see him live and up close.

That's probably the fifth time in the last two weeks I really wished I had my camera handy. Such a good shot that would have been, he was practically posing in front of my big, green ferns, sigh:).

Yesterday's thrill of the day was a bird of many vivid colors that visited the birdbath - breathtakingly beautiful and exotic looking, I'm still not entirely sure what it was.
Later laughing at a young chick, a sort of parrot-ty looking bird, greenish, yellowish, with all its feathers standing on end, having a ball taking maybe its first bath.
Roly-poly funny.

Half cussing - half laughing at the damn squirrel's antics getting into the bird feeder ... tsking about the bird bully, some grey and black thing that wants to claim the bird bath for himself ... seeing two new birds we've never seen before, apparently stopping over on their way up north.

Get surprised by the red-shouldered hawk swoop by surprisingly low, his wings almost brushing me. Seeing the heron take off with a fat frog in his bill, the frog's legs dangling wildly.

Being delighted by our new neighbor's two-year-old daughter getting all excited about the big turtle sunning itself on the ditch bank.

... and my macabre - favorite moment - dang, why didn't I have my camera on me:
We found a skeleton of a skull a few months back. Not sure what critter, in the back forty, I mean back yard - so I included it in my newest garden design, by putting it on display.
I wondered why it kept falling off its flat stone pedestal:) - well, I got my answer.

Coming around the corner - I stopped in my tracks, here was the black snake all stretched out, resting his head on that very skull.
Just soaking up the sun - he was the culprit who knocked the skeleton off the display stone:)
Btw - the black snake is harmless, it is called a racer and eats the fruit tree rats and other vermin, a good, resident garden snake to have around.

Did I mention huge, pretty butterflies everywhere and a steady buzz of bees, dragonflies and green and blue iridescent flies that hover midair?
The latest ... Mr. R. told me he just saw the first little night owls in a long time ...

Cheap entertainment:). Happiness is that first cup of coffee in the garden while the mist is still in the air and a white fog shrouds the neighbor's home and horse barn and the world is still and quiet and somehow a tad surreal.

I am indeed most grateful for the new neighbor's for not having a parking lot full of business vehicles - now I again have an unimpeded view of the horses out in the field and the old trees hung with Spanish moss.
Life is good.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1381 on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
Home brewed beer.

How long does your homebrew stay in secondary?  Does it need to age in the bottle as well?

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1382 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:03 PM »
Home brewed beer.

How long does your homebrew stay in secondary?  Does it need to age in the bottle as well?

I brew in the primary only, leaving it for about a week.  It has usually fermented after about 3 days, but it lets most of the yeast drop out.  I then bottle it into 1.25 litre plastic bottles (old soda water bottles washed out) directly from the fermenter, with a couple of teaspoons of sugar.  Then it needs about two weeks to be ready and drinkable.  It gets better up to about 8 weeks, and then not a lot of change from there. 

Storage and chilling requires the bottle be kept upright as otherwise you will disturb the sediment.  Poured with reasonable care, a 1.25 litre can be resealed for a few glasses without too much disturbance of the yeast at the bottom.  Resealed, they are fine the next day, but don't leave it a week, as it starts to oxidise over time.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1383 on: March 18, 2019, 11:54:31 PM »
Home brewed beer.

I brew in the primary only, leaving it for about a week.  It has usually fermented after about 3 days, but it lets most of the yeast drop out.  I then bottle it into 1.25 litre plastic bottles (old soda water bottles washed out) directly from the fermenter, with a couple of teaspoons of sugar.  Then it needs about two weeks to be ready and drinkable.  It gets better up to about 8 weeks, and then not a lot of change from there. 

Storage and chilling requires the bottle be kept upright as otherwise you will disturb the sediment.  Poured with reasonable care, a 1.25 litre can be resealed for a few glasses without too much disturbance of the yeast at the bottom.  Resealed, they are fine the next day, but don't leave it a week, as it starts to oxidise over time.
That's cool.  I'd like to try real brewing sometime but I don't want to own the equipment, I own very little stuff.  Maybe I could find some type of co-op or something. 

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1384 on: March 19, 2019, 06:52:37 PM »
Home brewed beer.

That's cool.  I'd like to try real brewing sometime but I don't want to own the equipment, I own very little stuff.  Maybe I could find some type of co-op or something.

I got into home brewing mainly to keep the cost of beer to a minimum.  If you were to go to a co-op or elsewhere it will probably increase the cost a lot.  You really only need a sealed bucket of some kind that can hold enough and go from there.  I think my kit cost me around $40 AUD and allows me to do 20 litres at a time.  Each kit costs about $15 all up, so I get beer for less than a dollar a litre.  Much cheaper than buying it from a bottle shop, and it makes my eyes water when a beer costs $10+ for a pint in a pub.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1385 on: March 20, 2019, 02:24:22 AM »
Hearing the small birds getting into springtime/mating modus.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1386 on: March 20, 2019, 04:09:12 PM »
Knowing today is the equinox.

The days getting shorter does not make my happy, but understanding why they are getting shorter, and being able to teach students about it does make me happy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1387 on: April 05, 2019, 08:23:50 AM »
The sandwich I made for breakfast: salami, ham, provolone, tomato slices (very decent greenhouse tomato), fresh basil, salad mix, and homemade vinaigrette on gluten-free bread. Almost all components were purchased at Aldi, so a fairly cheap and delicious meal that reminded me a bit of the Italian-style subs I used to buy before I had to stop eating gluten.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #1388 on: April 05, 2019, 12:50:22 PM »
Alexa, play some Jazz. And a cup of coffee.

HappyCheerE

• Stubble
« Reply #1389 on: April 05, 2019, 03:48:00 PM »
Petroleum jelly! First it fixed my late-onset eczema when the expensive creams and moisturizers didn't help at all. Then I found how much better it worked for avoiding blisters on marathon training runs that what I had used before (Two Toms, BodyGlide, etc.). Now I've been using it on road burn/badly ripped up knees from falling (also running!) and it's helped the healing tremendously. And it's so cheap I don't hesitate to slather away - a humongous tub for under $4. Makes it even more satisfying to use!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1390 on: April 05, 2019, 10:51:26 PM »
Has anyone mentioned grown-up time with the SO???

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1391 on: April 06, 2019, 06:21:47 AM »
Pushing my granddaughter on a swing while she sings her little made-up song with the lyrics "Happy happy happy happy happy happy happy HAPPY"

Snowman99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1392 on: April 06, 2019, 06:30:27 AM »
Running. All it costs is a pair of running shoes. Nothing feels better than running outside as the sun rises and it is literally free.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1393 on: April 06, 2019, 06:45:16 AM »
Pushing my granddaughter on a swing while she sings her little made-up song with the lyrics "Happy happy happy happy happy happy happy HAPPY"

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1394 on: April 06, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »
Our garden is now partly snow free, apart from the place where we shoveled all that snow to. But even there, the snow is slowly pulling back. And today I saw the first careful flower popping up just beside the snow.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:34:41 AM by Linea_Norway »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1395 on: April 06, 2019, 02:47:04 PM »
The tulips we planted last fall (harvested when the HOA was ripping out some landscaping) are emerging all around our front beds!

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1396 on: April 06, 2019, 02:49:46 PM »
Listening to podcasts.  I learn a ton about health, current events, classes, history, interviews (on about any topic) audiobooks, old radio theatre.  Where else would you learn about the mechanics of fire-engines, ice-climbing, dulcimer groups, and people's amazing life experiences. When I write to podcasters, they always write back and sometimes even want to interview me (!) Funny.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1397 on: April 08, 2019, 08:40:49 PM »
Making a dinner that was soooo tasty I realized I would have paid good money for it at a restaurant.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1398 on: April 08, 2019, 10:08:35 PM »
My little cat, Cocoa Puff, snores too. I thought it was just her but I guess not after reading these posts.  I guess it was a case of, "my child is the most beautiful, but I won't tell anyone"

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1399 on: April 09, 2019, 08:52:56 AM »
Hot water on tap any time you want it is a monumental achievement of modern civilization.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!