Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 940662 times)

Wings5

• Stubble
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1050 on: September 11, 2018, 04:43:53 PM »
Plumbing and potable water on demand at the faucet.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1051 on: September 11, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »
Flavored sparkling water. If I'm feeiln' real fancy, then key lime pie-flavored La Croix. So. yummy.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1052 on: September 12, 2018, 01:10:11 AM »
Path of Exile, League of Legends, both free.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1053 on: September 12, 2018, 01:42:02 AM »
Plumbing and potable water on demand at the faucet.

We recently had the water turned off by the community, without pre-warning. And tomorrow evening they are going to flush the water pipes. This means a lot of brown, sandy water our of the faucets before the water is clean again, typically 2-3 large bath tubes full. Guess who is paying for running the faucet in my house until the water is clean? They do this several times a year and I think it makes out 10% of my water usage.

So yes, it is very positive when the water from my faucet is clean and potable. You realize it after such a brown-water event.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1054 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »
So I am 100 work days from FIRE now.  I borrowed an idea from forum member Okcisok, and printed off a free coloring page showing a lovely beach scene.  I numbered the sections from 1 to 100, and each day I color in a section.  So much fun.  I'm taking a picture each day too, so at the end we can combine them into a happy little fill-in-the-color video.  :)

Seeing your idea bring someone else happiness :) Congratulations on the your imminent FIREing!

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1055 on: September 12, 2018, 11:13:56 PM »
Rain at home while I am somewhere else. We have had an extremely dry summer and we need rain.

I love siting under our covered patio, having a cup of coffee while it is pouring outside.  It is so loud and calming all at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:26:02 PM by EnjoyIt »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #1056 on: September 13, 2018, 06:09:13 AM »
Biking to school/work and noticing that I’m going faster on my bike than the cars that are stuck in traffic.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1057 on: September 13, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »
* Our little succulent strip that was entirely free to install!  (A friend ripped out her succulent bed and gave us everything she took out, and neighbors tore out a ton of mother-in-law tongue and I rescued several pieces. It's all growing really well in a space that couldn't be used for anything else because of water and light circumstances.)

* Photographing local wildlife and sharing and learning via the iNaturalist app

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1058 on: September 14, 2018, 05:27:37 AM »
having a good swim on a sunny day

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1059 on: September 14, 2018, 06:41:31 AM »
From tomorrow: Going on a week's vacation in our own country. We will drive and stay in our tent in the wild. We will be hiking, photographing, mushroom hunting, free diving, fishing. All free/cheap hobbies after you've made the initial investment for the equipment.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1060 on: September 14, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
Been wanting to have a rain barrel but too cheap to buy the barrels lol. We happen to stumble a local company who was giving away 50 gallon plastic barrels (used to store some sort of sauce) last week.

I been watching youtube trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to divert water from our gutter.

Yesterday was the first time we use the water that we collected from our two rain barrels. For some reason I could not stop grinning over free water.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1061 on: September 14, 2018, 02:49:04 PM »
Backyard butterflies: Monarchs, swallowtails, Gulf fritillaries, painted ladies, mourning cloaks, sulphurs, blues, skippers

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1062 on: September 15, 2018, 05:18:24 AM »
I started getting up 15 minutes earlier each day so I can sit around and sip a cup of tea .  Tea is cheap and it makes my mornings so much better!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #1063 on: September 15, 2018, 06:17:43 AM »
Listening to audiobooks from the library on my bus ride home from work makes me happy because:

1) Free books
2) I can tune out annoying people and overwhelming traffic noises.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1064 on: September 15, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
I started getting up 15 minutes earlier each day so I can sit around and sip a cup of tea .  Tea is cheap and it makes my mornings so much better!

Right on. I used to wake up, shower and drive straight to work when I had to be there early.  They feed us for free but not necessarily the healthiest of foods. 

Now I wake up 25 minutes earlier, make breakfast which is healthy and have a cup of coffee before work.  My entire day is so much better because of it.  Even if I get 25 minutes less sleep.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1065 on: September 15, 2018, 07:05:35 PM »
From tomorrow: Going on a week's vacation in our own country. We will drive and stay in our tent in the wild. We will be hiking, photographing, mushroom hunting, free diving, fishing. All free/cheap hobbies after you've made the initial investment for the equipment.

This sounds amazing. Enjoy!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1066 on: September 15, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
-Meals from the freezer. Such.a.relief after a crazy day
-Laughing with my kids when they discover 90s movies (they are 11 & 12) & think "Adventures in Babysitting" is the funniest thing ever
-Cheap (but not bad) wine. Currently enjoying the TI from Costco (similar to Kim Crawford, if you like Sauvignon Blanc)

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #1067 on: September 18, 2018, 10:48:03 PM »
Together with SwissMister: having off on a regular Tuesday afternoon and walking to the local town hall to attend friends' wedding ceremony. Invited to champagne afterwards by the lake. Walking back home again in glorious weather.

All this knowing that I will be FIRE in a few days (SwissMister already is).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1068 on: September 19, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
Frozen blueberries from the dollar store.

scottnews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1069 on: September 19, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
When my 7 yo laughs from his belly

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1070 on: September 19, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
Today it was free books downloaded from the library, taking my dog to the dog park and butternut squash is on sale at Aldi. My butternut squash soup withdrawal is almost over!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1071 on: September 19, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »
Waking up before the alarm goes off, and the first smell and taste of strong, black coffee.  Time to conquer another day!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1072 on: September 20, 2018, 04:54:02 AM »
A family card game.  Last night my 12 and 15 year olds finally 'got' euchre, and we had a great time.

frugalone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Single and Enjoying the FIRE
« Reply #1073 on: September 21, 2018, 01:05:18 PM »
Today it's the homey smell of the vegetable soup cooking in my crockpot.  I'm blessed to have a HUGE farm behind my condo (living in Ohio has it's perks).   Went there this morning and bought just picked cabbage, green peppers, corn on the cob, yellow beans, potatoes, tomatoes, onions and garlic.  Smells like heaven.

For less than $11 I have at least 7 meals.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:08:34 PM by frugalone »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1074 on: September 21, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
A family card game.  Last night my 12 and 15 year olds finally 'got' euchre, and we had a great time.

Excellent. A rite of passage.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1075 on: September 21, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »
Making little color-coded envelopes for my wallet cards out of construction paper and washi tape. I labeled the outside of the envelopes with what rewards are best to put on that card at the time;  i.e, Chase Freedom 5% bonus reward categories are Walgreens, Gas, and Lyft through October, when they switch to Department Stores, Warehouse Clubs, and ChasePay.

My debit cards are in one, my insurance cards in another. Now I can get through a checkout process without fumbling and trying to remember which card I should charge what tranaction to, or handing the dental receptionist my vision insurance card. The construction paper was bought on clearance years ago, and 5 rolls of adorable washi tape cost a total of less than $3.  Fun crafts on a rainy afternoon that will keep me from being frustrated later.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1076 on: September 22, 2018, 12:20:17 AM »
Going to a free presentation and photo display of something interesting in the city.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1077 on: September 22, 2018, 05:09:18 AM »
Seeing my kids smiling and happy!

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #1078 on: September 22, 2018, 10:51:58 PM »
While disposing of some old televisions at my local hazardous waste/e-waste drop off location, I noticed they had a section off to the side offering free cleaning supplies and used cans of paint. I took away full bottles of Goof-Off and toilet bowl cleaner. Sounds weird to say, but walking away with free toilet bowl cleaner that someone else got rid of kinda made my day.

Walterbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1079 on: September 23, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
Maracuya Icecream :)

Reading a new chapter of my favorite Manga.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1080 on: September 23, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »
I have a blouse in a very nice blue and pink cloth, one size fits every Italian sized women. I am Dutch and bigger than that and the blouse was sitting too tight to wear. DH, on my request, remade it today into a top with very short sleeves and some splits in the sides. Now I can wear it again.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1081 on: September 23, 2018, 05:28:40 PM »
Pulling out and wearing my favorite cozy socks to wear now that autumn is here and the weather is finally changing a bit.

Homemade meals with friends. It's certainly cheaper than going out for a meal and drinks. Plus I don't have to wear shoes so I can show off the above-mentioned cozy socks.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #1082 on: September 23, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »
Spending days to make some beef stock in my crock pot and then using that stock to make some french onion soup.

I enjoy making soup in general. Tomorrow I am going to make some tomato basil. I just love soup season!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1083 on: September 23, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
My beautiful black suede and leather tall boots fit again.

I had gained about 20 lbs over the last 7 years due to depression, overeating, and inactivity. I bought these beautiful boots on clearance about 8 years ago and haven't been able to wear them in at least 2 years because of weight gain. I've worked hard to drop 17 lbs since June 1, and the boots fit again as of this evening (I couldn't zip them up 6 weeks ago).

I found out last week that a beloved dress that hasn't left the closet in 3 years also fits again. Yay for a free wardrobe expansion!

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #1084 on: September 24, 2018, 08:42:44 AM »
My friend of Russian heritage coming over for blini.

We sit around the table talking and laughing while making these thin little semi-sweet pancakes on the griddle and throwing anything into them, cleaning out the fridge, basically: tonight what we've got is lox for a start and ginger preserves for a finisher, and who knows what she's going to bring.

Kind of a variation on stone soup: you can make blini out of practically anything.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1085 on: September 25, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »
It’s pouring rain to the point that the street is flooded in front of out house. Husband has the day off and I work from home, so we’re spending a cozy morning sipping coffee and being grateful that we don’t have to go outside for a few hours.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1086 on: September 26, 2018, 04:43:01 AM »
Homemade chicken noodle soup.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1087 on: September 26, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »
While disposing of some old televisions at my local hazardous waste/e-waste drop off location, I noticed they had a section off to the side offering free cleaning supplies and used cans of paint. I took away full bottles of Goof-Off and toilet bowl cleaner. Sounds weird to say, but walking away with free toilet bowl cleaner that someone else got rid of kinda made my day.

I scored a nearly full bottle of toilet bowl cleaner from the trash room at my complex when some neighbors moved out. I was very pleased with myself every time I used that free bottle of (name brand!) free toilet bowl cleaner. :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1088 on: September 28, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »
My friend of Russian heritage coming over for blini.

We sit around the table talking and laughing while making these thin little semi-sweet pancakes on the griddle and throwing anything into them, cleaning out the fridge, basically: tonight what we've got is lox for a start and ginger preserves for a finisher, and who knows what she's going to bring.

Kind of a variation on stone soup: you can make blini out of practically anything.

This sounds really lovely!

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1089 on: September 28, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
Just stopped at Aldi and got a bunch of food.  I wasn’t keeping track in my head at all and expected the cashier to say it was at least $60.  Ended up being $30.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1090 on: September 29, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »
More Trash Room Treasure! I didn't think about it being the end of the month when I went to drop off trash/recycling. The trash room was neatly stacked with tons of great stuff with a note that said it was all free for the taking. Judging by the randomness of the amalgamation, someone just got tired of packing and moving. I got two new looking barstools, many cleaning products, even some kitchen tools that were neatly wrapped in plastic. A large storage tub was stacked with dishes & serving utensils, even small appliances. At the bottom of the pile I found a furniture dolly and a 36-bottle flat of water! I stacked everything on the furniture dolly and rolled it to my apartment. I'm giddy over my new free items!
If it's not all gone by the end of the weekend, I'll take it to Goodwill jic our maintenance team decided to throw it in the Dumpster.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1091 on: September 30, 2018, 09:29:06 AM »
Reading great books from the library, either digital copies or actual ones.

Sometimes the waitlist can be incredibly long for electronic copies of popular books but there's something so awesome about waiting it out and seeing the email notification show up a couple weeks or months later saying it's yours for the reading :)

I used to buy new books compulsively if I wanted to read them. Now that they're the Gazingus Pin I've given up for 2018, I can honestly say not buying them has 1) freed up more cash to invest, and 2) produced a new appreciation for delayed gratification

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #1092 on: September 30, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »
Reading great books from the library, either digital copies or actual ones.

Sometimes the waitlist can be incredibly long for electronic copies of popular books but there's something so awesome about waiting it out and seeing the email notification show up a couple weeks or months later saying it's yours for the reading :)

I used to buy new books compulsively if I wanted to read them. Now that they're the Gazingus Pin I've given up for 2018, I can honestly say not buying them has 1) freed up more cash to invest, and 2) produced a new appreciation for delayed gratification

I never utilized the library very much until MMM.  I never bought many books and the ones I did buy were always from local used stores, but I gotta say I'm a complete library convert now. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1093 on: September 30, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
Being able to afford to stay home with a good cup of coffee - with fancy milk foam and what not, without any impact on my budget.

Yes, the library - although I often cuss it, since they don't always have what I want to read - so I've begun to see that as my opportunity to hang out at B&N, spend a bit on a new book and coffee and a croissant - what's not to love?:)
Being Mustachian I have a 20% discount card and I often find something in specially reduced section too:)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1094 on: October 02, 2018, 06:29:18 AM »
A call from a far away and cherished friend.

I have a family friend who is almost 98 years old.  She's known me my whole life, and is like my grandma.  She called me yesterday just to see how I was doing, and it just made my day.  I'm traveling to visit her in a few weeks and am so looking forward to it.  I appreciate her even more now that my bio-grandmas and my mom are gone.  Relationships with elders are so, so precious.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1095 on: October 02, 2018, 07:43:48 AM »
Free banana at work.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1096 on: October 02, 2018, 07:59:51 AM »
Getting a “just-because” snail mail postcard from a friend!

And sending one back. Snail mail is such a simple and cheap delight.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1097 on: October 04, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
On my walk last evening I saw a bat and a toad, which made me really happy.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1098 on: October 04, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »
Dinner came out delicious. I'm happy about my cooking skills :P

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1099 on: October 06, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »
Dinner came out delicious. I'm happy about my cooking skills :P
+1