Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938931 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #900 on: June 04, 2018, 05:46:32 PM »
Husband and I are enjoying the evening sunshine on our patio while watching the resident wild rabbit wash his face and snack on the lawn. We’ve already seen a robin chasing a squirrel out of a tree (much screeching from both parties) and a two-bird scuffle in the driveway.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #901 on: June 04, 2018, 06:50:18 PM »
The bath. With or without accoutrements

flower_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #902 on: June 06, 2018, 04:44:04 AM »
Flowers, fruit, vegetables and other produce from our garden.

Looking down at our plates and knowing everything on the plate came from our own backyard.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #903 on: June 06, 2018, 06:21:59 AM »
Flowers, fruit, vegetables and other produce from our garden.

Looking down at our plates and knowing everything on the plate came from our own backyard.

@flower_girl That is the best! I'm so excited for all of our vegetables this year.

flower_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #904 on: June 07, 2018, 06:32:34 AM »
Thank you @chaskavitch. Good luck with your garden.  The supermarket in your own backyard is definitely the best one there is IMO!

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #905 on: June 16, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »
Seeing one of these beauties today, a Bee-eater :)
http://regnskove.dk/biaeder-som-rovdyr/
It flew across my path while I was driving and I had time to slow down and watch it perched on a branch :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #906 on: June 16, 2018, 07:06:23 PM »
First blackberries are ripe on the south-facing slope.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #907 on: June 16, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »
We have discovered a picnic blanket under a tree in our back yard. Snacks, water, free-range short people, a book..... life is pretty great. It is even better when I can do naked baby time and watch the littlest try to eat grass with her baby bums on display for me to admire.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #908 on: June 17, 2018, 04:04:10 AM »
The alumni BBQ of my masters programme. It took me 3h by train and €20 to get there, but it was totally worth it. Definitely got the value of the €20 back in food and beer, but I would've gone for just the great company!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #909 on: June 17, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »
My patio. It becomes another living/dining room from May to October and is the perfect place to relax with dinner and drinks on a summer evening, especially once the fireflies are out.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #910 on: June 19, 2018, 08:48:20 AM »
My colleagues making things work out today despite lack of time and experience in the specific thing.

Holding a presentation for 6 strangers who were friendly and interested in the subject.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #911 on: June 21, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »
My patio. It becomes another living/dining room from May to October and is the perfect place to relax with dinner and drinks on a summer evening, especially once the fireflies are out.

Yes.  This one may not be cheap for me, though, since I paid $700 for a patio couch.  I have really enjoyed it for 4 years and counting even when it is hot and humid. 

Another one is having blueberry bushes.  Delicious. 

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #912 on: June 23, 2018, 12:54:42 AM »
I'll say it again: Sharpening my kitchen knives. Spent an hour yesterday with the knives and the stones, and it's very mind relaxing in a meditative way.  And with noticable results, since the cooking session that followed was a pure joy of sharpness.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #913 on: June 23, 2018, 04:55:06 AM »
Walking in a what we call 100-meter forest. This is just a river valley between housing areas. Lots of trees. I hadn't been there before, even though it was not far from home. It was nice and quiet.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #914 on: June 23, 2018, 05:34:49 AM »
Walking to the nearest park to enjoy the winter sunshine.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #915 on: June 23, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
I've got a cheap,  solar-powered calculator that I bought new for $1.00 ~ 20 years ago.

It's made by  Canon

It makes me happy because it always works (no dead batteries).

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #916 on: June 23, 2018, 04:50:30 PM »
- Nature. I'm hoping to suck up some green tomorrow. Mother nature is such a great artist. Also love animals and enjoy them (although three swallows' nests under your roof means an incredible amount of bird poo next to your house).
- My kids
- music, movies, good TV series.
- repairing something myself or making something myself.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #917 on: June 23, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
Public transport. So much cheaper than taxi or uber, and I learn a new city.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #918 on: June 24, 2018, 12:41:20 AM »
Public transport. So much cheaper than taxi or uber, and I learn a new city.

But sometimes you feel really like the odd person out. Sitting on busses in Los Angeles or Atlanta made me feel really... not fitting in.  But I got where I wanted to get.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #919 on: June 24, 2018, 01:25:11 AM »
I found a bunch of earlicheer growing wild on my walk this morning. Its wet grey winter here, but now the scent of spring fills the kitchen.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #920 on: June 24, 2018, 04:22:27 AM »
Having a relaxed Sunday. Sleeping out, eating croissants, reading an interesting book outside in the sun. Knowing we painted the outside of the house yesterday, so today we deserve a day off.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #921 on: June 24, 2018, 08:57:30 AM »
Tide pools and summer evenings.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #922 on: June 26, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
I found out today that I'm going to get to ride in an autonomous shuttle tomorrow. (driverless) Our city is getting to "test" this shuttle for ten days in our downtown area, but tomorrow is the pre-public testing day out at our university's campus. It also means that I get at least an hour off of work. :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #923 on: June 26, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »
Harvesting my garden and fixing three different dinners in one batch cooking event - incl. a soup with tons of greens in it, celery leaves and chopped celery, garlic chives, parsley - one of my plants reverted to what looks like a wild plant, peppers, fresh bay leaf - lemon thyme and a twig of rosemary while I cooked the chicken.
Made the kitchen smells delicious for two days:)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #924 on: June 26, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »
Gluten-free (brown rice+millet) ramen noodles and rotisserie chicken from Costco. I bought both today, removed the meat, used the bones to make stock, and had ramen in stock topped with chicken and vegetables for dinner.

I recently (last weekend) watched a program about Japanese noodles and lamented the fact that celiac disease means no more traditional ramen. I'm so full and happy right now.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #925 on: June 28, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
Birds- prior to retirement and starting to live full time in a van, I never really noticed the birds and their calls. Now, it feels strange to be in a city and not be able to hear the birds. I found out that Sandhill Cranes  have a call that sounds like a woodblock being played(tock-tock).  Hummingbirds sound like giant bumble bees or mini fighter jets.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #926 on: June 28, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »
I found out today that I'm going to get to ride in an autonomous shuttle tomorrow. (driverless) Our city is getting to "test" this shuttle for ten days in our downtown area, but tomorrow is the pre-public testing day out at our university's campus. It also means that I get at least an hour off of work. :)

Me, too! But maybe we're in different cities...are you in Nebraska? I get to ride the shuttle during an unheard of 1 hour lunch break while listening to one of my professional heroes speak. Two days of free, excellent professional development, a free autonomous shuttle ride during lunch, & earning extra pay at an hourly rate to attend aforementioned professional development.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #927 on: June 29, 2018, 05:17:02 AM »
Getting up early to have breakfast with my husband before he leaves for work and kiddo wakes up.

Watching fireflies.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #928 on: June 29, 2018, 09:18:13 AM »
Driving through the fog. Back where I grew up(Midwest) we would get it occasionally, but out in CO it is pretty rare( I think I have driven through the smoke from forest fires more often which is not nearly as cool).

meall earraich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #929 on: June 29, 2018, 11:02:44 AM »
This is the best thread ever, totally cheered me up.

My favourite thing to do is reading in my warm, sunny conservatory with a cuppa and something home baked. Lots of little birds are busy in my garden too (summer here) and I love looking up to watch them as I sit there.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #930 on: June 29, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »
The fresh apricots in today’s Hungry Harvest box are SO good.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #931 on: June 29, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »
Getting up early and riding to a big park to look at birds and "forest bathe" before the heat/humidity kicked in.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #932 on: June 30, 2018, 01:33:01 AM »
Sunshine on a cold day.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #933 on: June 30, 2018, 08:16:30 AM »
We have discovered a picnic blanket under a tree in our back yard. Snacks, water, free-range short people, a book..... life is pretty great. It is even better when I can do naked baby time and watch the littlest try to eat grass with her baby bums on display for me to admire.
Ha! I had to read this twice. My first thought was, "Who left a blanket under ysette's tree and, ew, gross, why are they sitting on it?" Then I realized it was your fresh, clean blanket that your baby's cute buns were lolling on. Free-range, naked short people are the best. I hope ypu are taking pictures you can em-bare-ass them with later. Thanks for the chuckle!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #934 on: July 02, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »
I realize my lack of sleep is translating into poor written skills. Sorry for the confusion! You are too generous to assume my picnic blanket is in fact clean. At this point it is pretty covered in random crumbs and baby drool. :)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #935 on: July 02, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
And yes, of course I am taking lots of photos of those naked baby bums! How can I not when she is currently so delightfully fat? There will be plenty of fodder for future admiration.... ;-)

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #936 on: July 03, 2018, 03:41:24 AM »
On Sunday, the kids made 'diamonds' with paper (just one corner folded in and a diamond pattern drawn on it). They wanted to hide their treasure in the garden but weven told them to bring them to the woods and that we would hide them there.
In the woods, the kids started to collect wood to build a hut and a fire. So we helped them build a hut and flame shaped leaves became their fire.
We hid the diamond three or four times for them and had so much fun. Had a nice walk too and saw the remains of an old castle. Always fun to try and figure out wich wall and room was what

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #937 on: July 03, 2018, 04:02:20 AM »
Strawberries:
- for free in the fruit bowl at work
- for free from our garden
- the small ones that grow for free alongs paths in the forest

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #938 on: July 03, 2018, 07:08:35 AM »
Pictures if my 3-month old niece and her adorable expressions. She's out of town right now, so I can't visit, but even the pictures fill my heart.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #939 on: July 03, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »

Me, too! But maybe we're in different cities...are you in Nebraska? I get to ride the shuttle during an unheard of 1 hour lunch break while listening to one of my professional heroes speak. Two days of free, excellent professional development, a free autonomous shuttle ride during lunch, & earning extra pay at an hourly rate to attend aforementioned professional development.

Yes, I am in NE :)

Last Friday I got to ride on the shuttle again, while I was volunteering at the shuttle site. 4 hours in the fresh air and lots of steps in!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #940 on: July 04, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »
The fact that nobody else in Toronto seems to realize that Saskatoon berries are edible and delicious. :-)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #941 on: July 04, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »
A larger-than-average population of fireflies, decent live electric guitar music from one of our neighbors, and enough DIY fireworks shows in the neighborhood that we should have a decent view from our own backyard.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #942 on: July 04, 2018, 07:42:36 PM »
Homemade iced tea that I can make to the exact sweetness level I like.

Summer breakfast - steamed zucchini and yellow squash from the garden with fresh eggs from my parents' chickens while sitting on the bench in the backyard.

Fireworks! (that I don't have to pay for...)  I'll be riding my bike over to the stadium tonight.  I'll be able to hear the concert pretty well, and the fireworks are better from outside on the lawn anyway.  AND. Since I'll ride my bike, I'll be home and in bed before most people have managed to escape the gridlock around the stadium.

Hot air balloon regattas... my city has one of these every 4th for three mornings.  I was only able to go to one this year.  I take the dogs and a contigo full of tea.  We wander around watching the balloon inflate and then take off.  And then the games!  They have to throw bean bags at targets on the field, and my favorite, they have to try to pop big helium balloons on tethers above the field with 3' sticks.  I look forward to this every year.

D.O.G.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #943 on: July 05, 2018, 07:25:38 AM »
 I love this thread! It's actually a great exercise to train to appreciate the little things in everyday life more often that get so easily overlooked or taken for granted . . .

My hit list for today so far:

- the glowing smile on my little daughter's face when she brought home a good grade from school.

- watching our Border Collie Cookie taking a refreshing bath in the little creek nearby after a walk in hot weather, lapping the clear, cold water while lying in the middle of it.

- the prospect on our family holiday on the Isle of Skye in Scotland in upcoming August. Haven't been there in twelve years; back then I wasn't even a dad, this time it's the first time with our two little daughters (ten & eight years old)! Can't wait to show them my spiritual home away from home!

More to come!

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #944 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »
I love this thread! It's actually a great exercise to train to appreciate the little things in everyday life more often that get so easily overlooked or taken for granted . . .

My hit list for today so far:

- the glowing smile on my little daughter's face when she brought home a good grade from school.

- watching our Border Collie Cookie taking a refreshing bath in the little creek nearby after a walk in hot weather, lapping the clear, cold water while lying in the middle of it.

- the prospect on our family holiday on the Isle of Skye in Scotland in upcoming August. Haven't been there in twelve years; back then I wasn't even a dad, this time it's the first time with our two little daughters (ten & eight years old)! Can't wait to show them my spiritual home away from home!

More to come!

I was on Skye in May and LOVED it! Super excited for you, it's such an awesome place.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #945 on: July 05, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
Walking through a park in a new city, hearing new sounds that are not traffic.

Petting a cat in the same park a little later.

D.O.G.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #946 on: July 05, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
I was on Skye in May and LOVED it! Super excited for you, it's such an awesome place.

Tank you very much, my friend! I think it is impossible not to like Skye! Been there at least six time, always by motorcycle. Don't know about your experience, but I was always very lucky with the weather. Let's hope it will be like that this time, too . . .

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #947 on: July 06, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
It's the first day in a week that we haven't had a heat advisory or excessive heat warning. Clear blue skies and low humidity make me very happy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #948 on: July 07, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
Making banana ice cream from leftover very ripe bananas from work.

The rain last night and the rain that will come on Monday. We have been in a period of extreme draught, extremely high risk of forest fire, farmer's land not producing grass, national airport soon out of water.

The north of the country has so long only had rain for months. We have only had sun and 28C since May or even earlier.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #949 on: July 07, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »
Visiting a park in the city that I hadn't been before.

The nice weather that seems to be neverending this summer. Am I really in the Netherlands?!

My favorite simple vegan curry recipe.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!