Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus  (Read 281233 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 09:18:23 PM »
The crazy part about this card is if you are only going to spend around $3000 over 3 months, you can literally go out and light $1k on fire in spending to hit the $4k bonus spend and still come out ahead by taking cash back (ignoring the other bonuses).

I'm tempted to sign up for this card but the fee for an AU is annoying since my wife and I generally spend about 50-50 of our spending.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2016, 05:53:33 AM »
The crazy part about this card is if you are only going to spend around $3000 over 3 months, you can literally go out and light $1k on fire in spending to hit the $4k bonus spend and still come out ahead by taking cash back (ignoring the other bonuses).

I'm tempted to sign up for this card but the fee for an AU is annoying since my wife and I generally spend about 50-50 of our spending.

then manufacture spend. its really easy and actually can make you money.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2016, 06:46:11 AM »
The real value is transferring these points to partners such as united. A round trip from North America to Europe is only 60,000 points. Along with this, you can book two "open jaws", basically short European flights with it.  In short, one can go from Chicago to London to Paris to Munich to Rome back to Chicago for 60k.  The dollar value depends on when you go, but that's typically a 2.5-3x return.

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2016, 07:58:15 AM »
Love this card! Just applied and got approved with a $35K limit. About to book two flights to London for Christmas and spend some money on my rental so the $4K spend will be done very quickly

This card came at the right time - thank you OP for posting!

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:59 AM »
Anyone get the physical card yet?  How many business days did it take?   I have a Aug 31st deadline for a purchase.

Does anyone know if my wife's Chase United card miles will transfer?   A 1.5x multiplier would be a great bonus.   I intend to move my Chase Blue miles over.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »
Anyone get the physical card yet?  How many business days did it take?   I have a Aug 31st deadline for a purchase.

Does anyone know if my wife's Chase United card miles will transfer?   A 1.5x multiplier would be a great bonus.   I intend to move my Chase Blue miles over.

I'd also like to know.  Got approved yesterday morning.  Hoping my arrives by Sept 2 at the latest because I plan on putting close to $2,000 up in Canada for a vacation of 9 days for 3 people.  Otherwise will have to go on my venture card.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 09:54:47 AM »
The real value is transferring these points to partners such as united. A round trip from North America to Europe is only 60,000 points. Along with this, you can book two "open jaws", basically short European flights with it.  In short, one can go from Chicago to London to Paris to Munich to Rome back to Chicago for 60k.  The dollar value depends on when you go, but that's typically a 2.5-3x return.
Helpful to know, but it's not always true.

Just recently booked a trip from US to Europe and United flight was a bit over $500 for a round trip ticket or 40k UR points. The same flight if booked through United using miles would have required 60,000 points. No open jaw on upcoming trip, so if there is plan to hop through multiple cities, United might be better.

In any case, I would check both to ensure you get the best deal. 

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »

My understanding is only UR points can be combined with Reserve (Freedom, Ink, Sapphire)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2016, 09:59:50 AM »
I've never booked through their portal, but transferring to airlines and especially Hyatt is a great return.  We've booked a Hyatt (normally over $200/night) for 8k points, the equivalent of $80 cash or $120 max on their portal. 

If you get the "we'll let you know" after applying, you can call the reconsideration line.  My DH was at 5/24, but one was an authorized user on a cancelled card.  They took that off and he was approved.

AFAIK, you can only transfer between Freedom/Preferred/Reserve.  I have the Freedom as well, and am an AU on DH's Sapphire, so I can transfer my points to him, and from there to partners. 

I know you can't transfer from Amazon, the only other Chase card we have.  I don't think you can transfer from UA, since they go directly to the airline FF program and aren't stored on your Chase card.

Somewhere I read that adding an AU to the Reserve card ($75) also gets the AU reimbursement for Pre-check or global entry.  Anyone have corroboration?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:43:16 PM by geekette »

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »
I've never booked through their portal, but transferring to airlines and especially Hyatt is a great return.  We've booked a Hyatt (normally over $200/night) for 80k points, the equivalent of $80 cash or $120 max on their portal. 

Isn't 80k points $800?

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »
I've never booked through their portal, but transferring to airlines and especially Hyatt is a great return.  We've booked a Hyatt (normally over $200/night) for 80k points, the equivalent of $80 cash or $120 max on their portal. 

Isn't 80k points $800?

Doh!

t5inside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2016, 11:24:02 AM »
I'm in the middle of a mortgage refi otherwise would jump on this. Hopefully the offer is still good in 2-3 weeks.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2016, 12:06:37 PM »
My Chase card is Sapphire,  I hope to have 20k points soon.   My wife's is the UA  Chase,  I don't know if she gets a point multiplier for travel.

My understanding is only UR points can be combined with Reserve (Freedom, Ink, Sapphire)

KickingRocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2016, 12:09:09 PM »

I signed up for the sapphire preferred card last week.  Before the Reserved card was revealed and I got an email on Sunday saying the card has been mailed and will get it in 3 days.  So figure on about a week turnaround total.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2016, 01:44:08 PM »

Isn't 80k points $800?
Sorry, 8k points.  Edited.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2016, 01:47:57 PM »
If you get the "we'll let you know" after applying, you can call the reconsideration line.  My DH was at 5/24, but one was an authorized user on a cancelled card.  They took that off and he was approved.

Thanks for mentioning that.  I read elsewhere that there was no longer recon which seemed odd.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
I'm in the middle of a mortgage refi otherwise would jump on this. Hopefully the offer is still good in 2-3 weeks.

it will be dont sweat it they just launched it.  its a normal offer.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »
Helpful to know, but it's not always true.

Just recently booked a trip from US to Europe and United flight was a bit over $500 for a round trip ticket or 40k UR points. The same flight if booked through United using miles would have required 60,000 points. No open jaw on upcoming trip, so if there is plan to hop through multiple cities, United might be better.

In any case, I would check both to ensure you get the best deal.

True, but unless you're going in the winter, I'd call your situation the exception to the rule.  Typically, transferring to a partner like United is a much better value. Congrats on the plane though, $500 round trip is a heck of a deal these days.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »
Wife was instantly approved 2 days ago.

I am certainly at the 5/24 so may attempt to apply in a local branch.
Now comes the challenge of intelligently spending $8k in 3 months...

Pre-pay, electric, cable, car insurance, phone, buy gift cards for food (costco?).
What else what else.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2016, 03:52:24 PM »
Now I'm curious. Does anyone know what criteria Chase's algorithm uses to 'decide' on instant approval.

My salary is 112k
My FICO score is 790
My dept-to-income ratio is between 0.5% and 2%, depending on the date the report is run
My debt-to-credit-limit ratio is 2%

I thought I'd be a shoe in, but instead my application has to be reviewed each time. What gives?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2016, 03:54:49 PM »
Wife was instantly approved 2 days ago.

Now comes the challenge of intelligently spending $8k in 3 months...

Pre-pay, electric, cable, car insurance, phone, buy gift cards for food (costco?).
What else what else.

You can do all that, but if you come up short just send a bunch of money between you and your wife using Venmo or Square Cash for a 3% fee.

This can still be worth it despite the fee if what you're displacing is a 5% category. For example:

Chase Freedom earns 5% (really, 5x Chase UR points that are transferrable to the CSR or CSP or any other UR earning card) at whole clubs this quarter, which includes Costco. Lets compare these two options for $100 of Costco spend:
1) Use your CSR. You are $100 closer towards the minimum spend. You also earn 1x on the transaction = 100 UR points.
2) Use your Freedom and then send $100 to your wife with Venmo or Square Cash. You are $100 closer to the minimum spend. You earn 5x on the transaction = 500 UR points. You spend $3 in Venmo or Square cash fees.

In both situations you've spent $100 towards your minimum spend. With option two you have an extra 400 UR points at a cost of $3, which means you effectively bought them at 0.75 cents/pt. You can always redeem UR points for at least 1 ct/pt in cashback (and more through the other recommended options - such as transfers to partner airlines where it's not uncommon to get redemptions bordering 2 ct/pt, or use them through the Chase travel portal with the CSR to get 1.5 ct/pt). Hence option 2 is better.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2016, 03:55:59 PM »
Now I'm curious. Does anyone know what criteria Chase's algorithm uses to 'decide' on instant approval.

My salary is 112k
My FICO score is 790
My dept-to-income ratio is between 0.5% and 2%, depending on the date the report is run

I thought I'd be a shoe in, but instead my application has to be reviewed each time. What gives?

You didn't mention if you're over or under 5/24. If you are you'll be denied (sometimes instantly, sometimes after a 7-10 day message).

Additionally, you will pretty much never be instantly approved if you've moved recently.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2016, 04:08:14 PM »

If you're already at 5/24, there's no point in wasting a hard pull.  All data
points since Monday have indicated everyone past 5/24 has been rejected.

The only applicants who managed to bypass the 5/24 rule applied
immediately when the link was accidentally placed online last week.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »
Awesome, I just got approved. I was going to wait a month, hoping to include the Christmas season in the 3-month $4k spending window, but then I remembered my property tax bill should be showing up in about a month. I can pay the property tax online with a CC for a 2.19% fee and still come out way ahead with this :)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »
Awesome, I just got approved. I was going to wait a month, hoping to include the Christmas season in the 3-month $4k spending window, but then I remembered my property tax bill should be showing up in about a month. I can pay the property tax online with a CC for a 2.19% fee and still come out way ahead with this :)

Is this actually allowed in their terms of service?

I've considered using a service like plastiq (which is cheaper for me than the fee my property taxes incur) but I'm not convinced that it's within the ToS for what earns points.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean, why wouldn't it be allowed? My county accepts payment for taxes via cc, they just charge you an extra 2.19% - basically passing the merchant fee on to you. Being a cheapass, I usually pay by check because I don't want to pay an extra $40 in fees, but in this situation its worth it.

ETA: OK after rubic's post below I think what you're asking is if prop taxes will be coded as a purchase or cash advance.... All my internetting indicates it is a purchase, I will report back if it doesn't work out this way :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:15:04 PM by DTaggart »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2016, 06:02:46 PM »

My salary is 112k
My FICO score is 790

You didn't mention if you're over or under 5/24. If you are you'll be denied (sometimes instantly, sometimes after a 7-10 day message).

Additionally, you will pretty much never be instantly approved if you've moved recently.

I'm under the 5/24, but I move every 12-18 months. I also don't have a mortgage, which could be another hit.

Thanks! Mystery solved.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »

Is this actually allowed in their terms of service?

I've considered using a service like plastiq (which is cheaper for me than the fee my property taxes incur) but I'm not convinced that it's within the ToS for what earns points.

Anything that codes as a purchase will count(*)  I mentioned in the other thread
that you'd want to avoid using it for anything that might be considered a cash
advance, but the simple method to prevent that possibility is to lower your
cash advance to $100 (or lower if the bank will permit it) a few days prior
to making the purchase.

For example, I'm paying a special assessment fee of $2000 to my HOA
next month on a different credit card, but under similar circumstances to
meet my minimum spend.

* With the obvious exception of any travel fees ($300 per calendar year) that get
reimbursed as a perk of owning this card.

albijaji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2016, 06:42:22 PM »
if i sign up and get approved, which i think i will
 -I have never done this and my chase freedom is over 5 years old/credit score around 790-
do i need to book the trip Europe/august  this year by december so the miles don't expire?
i just checked the chase redemption site and it wont let me even check flights for summer (june being the cutoff).
obviously i am clueless :o)

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2016, 09:48:20 PM »
Is there some sort of "points for dummies" online tutorial?  I'm new to travel reward cards (only use cash back) and I don't quite get how this works.  For instance, do you have to go through their portal or an affiliate reward program to book a flight?  What if I just find a great deal online with X airline, how do I use the points to book the travel?

Also, I assume these points are no different than the Freedom points so at worst, the 100,000 is worth $1,000 in cash back.  Is that correct?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2016, 10:10:17 PM »
Yes, you can use the Chase UR points for cash back at .01 each, worst case. The points are exactly the same as Freedom points and, in fact, you can (and should) transfer points between the two cards.

Having the UR points on one of the premium cards gives you access to the travel portal and transfer potential to a partner (United, IHG, etc.)

You use the Chase portal to buy airline tickets. In that case, you get a bonus. For example, spend 50k UR points for a ticket worth $750 (with the 50% bonus).

If you find a great deal with X airline, you'd need to find the same deal on the Chase portal.

The points won't expire as long as you have the card and charge something on it occasionally. If you don't want to pay the CSR annual fee any more, transfer the UR points to the Freedom. You can then use them at .01 cash back or store them until you get another premium card (CSR, CSP, Ink+).

Finally, it might be better, as someone mentioned above, to transfer to an airline. For example, we got $450 tickets this past December for 25k United miles.

Eta: Apparently Freedom does have access to the Chase travel portal but without a 1.2/1.5 bonus.

albijaji: Most airlines set out schedules ~330-350 days out. You should check back in a week or two.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:21:47 PM by bacchi »

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »

My salary is 112k
My FICO score is 790

I'm under the 5/24, but I move every 12-18 months. I also don't have a mortgage, which could be another hit.

Thanks! Mystery solved.

I don't know about that, actually. I have moved every 12 months for the last 5-6 years and have always been approved instantly for every card I've applied for. I did not have a mortgage until about a year ago. Have you had other types of installment loans (auto loans, student loans, etc.) before?

Anyway, this looks like an amazing card even if all you use is the sign-up bonus. I just got approved with a $21k limit, which will be the highest limit of any card I have.

lukebuz

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2016, 09:45:45 AM »
I moved a year ago, new mortgage at same time, and was approved instantly for 26K.  Yay, bonus!!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Is there some sort of "points for dummies" online tutorial?  I'm new to travel reward cards (only use cash back) and I don't quite get how this works.  For instance, do you have to go through their portal or an affiliate reward program to book a flight?  What if I just find a great deal online with X airline, how do I use the points to book the travel?

Also, I assume these points are no different than the Freedom points so at worst, the 100,000 is worth $1,000 in cash back.  Is that correct?

I tried to find the link for the thread, but could not find it. A member of the forum came up with an online class that sends articles once a week. The info is simple, easy to understand, super informative, and fucking awesome. http://www.travelmiles101.com/travel-rewards-course-registration

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2016, 10:07:40 AM »

My salary is 112k
My FICO score is 790

Thanks! Mystery solved.

I don't know about that, actually. I have moved every 12 months for the last 5-6 years and have always been approved instantly for every card I've applied for. I did not have a mortgage until about a year ago. Have you had other types of installment loans (auto loans, student loans, etc.) before?

Anyway, this looks like an amazing card even if all you use is the sign-up bonus. I just got approved with a $21k limit, which will be the highest limit of any card I have.

Huh. I can't explain it, then. In the past 13 years I've paid off a 17k student loan, a 10k personal loan, and a 7k car loan. Maybe that's part of the equation? Dunno. I guess it will remain a mystery.

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »

I recently found the stickies at the top of r/churning to be helpful. It starts out about churning in general, but has links to other helpful posts about manufactured spending, travel rewards, etc.

The use of non-airline-specific travel points is still foreign to me as well. From what I gathered it seems more flexible than frequent flier miles, but less flexible than cash back. As someone else said, you do have to book through a portal, so you probably couldn't find the same deals as orbitz or cheapoair types of sites, but you will still be able to book any airline/any seat.

I very rarely book flights through those channels anyways, so I am comfortable with the notion that I will be able to happily spend all my Chase UR points through their portal.

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »

My salary is 112k
My FICO score is 790

Thanks! Mystery solved.

Huh. I can't explain it, then. In the past 13 years I've paid off a 17k student loan, a 10k personal loan, and a 7k car loan. Maybe that's part of the equation? Dunno. I guess it will remain a mystery.

Do you have a lot of open credit lines and/or lines with high limits? I believe if you already have a lot of available credit companies are sometimes reluctant to extend more.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2016, 10:31:21 AM »

My salary is 112k
My FICO score is 790

Thanks! Mystery solved.

It depends if your new address gets reported to credit agencies before you apply for a new card. In the past that has never happened for me. Every time I called in they asked me to verify my identity and new address.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »

My salary is 112k
My FICO score is 790

Thanks! Mystery solved.

Do you already have a significant amount of Chase credit extended?

Mine was a delayed approval.  I suspected the reason as I had another card delayed in the past with them.  Mine was at Chase extended credit limit. 

I have a decent amount of personal and business Chase credit extended on cards  ($50k).  I have gotten both delays approved by calling the reconsider line (888-245-0625).  They will tell you what the delay is for.

For me I just shuffled limits around to accommodate the Reserve card.  Note you can't shift business credit to personal.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2016, 12:49:52 PM »
I called the reconsideration line, and the helpful person told me the application went through!

I now have a Chase Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, and Sapphire Reserve. My credit limit on the Reserve is $17,800. Bringing my total Chase credit up to $55,800.

The reason my application wasn't immediately approved was my deep, dark past. I had a charge off from Chase, back in 2001. Fell off my credit report a long time ago. So long ago, I didn't even consider it. But Chase remembers. Chase remembers, and Chase hates, Preciouses. I asked the helpful person if the hit would ever fall off my Chase report, and she kind of snorted. Implying I was a deadbeat, and pretty stupid, but wtf ever. That card is mine!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »

If you're already at 5/24, there's no point in wasting a hard pull.  All data
points since Monday have indicated everyone past 5/24 has been rejected.

The only applicants who managed to bypass the 5/24 rule applied
immediately when the link was accidentally placed online last week.

Correction to my earlier reply: Although most customers who exceed
5/24 are still denied by applying in-branch, some people are getting
pre-approved.  It might be worth your while to attempt pre-approval at
your local branch.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2016, 04:28:55 PM »
I called the reconsideration line, and the helpful person told me the application went through!

I now have a Chase Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, and Sapphire Reserve. My credit limit on the Reserve is $17,800. Bringing my total Chase credit up to $55,800.

The reason my application wasn't immediately approved was my deep, dark past. I had a charge off from Chase, back in 2001. Fell off my credit report a long time ago. So long ago, I didn't even consider it. But Chase remembers. Chase remembers, and Chase hates, Preciouses. I asked the helpful person if the hit would ever fall off my Chase report, and she kind of snorted. Implying I was a deadbeat, and pretty stupid, but wtf ever. That card is mine!

Ugh I want to apply for this card so badly now, maybe this weekend I will.

THINK OF THE POINTS ZOMG. ha.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2016, 04:58:09 PM »
Just an FYI for anybody waiting...I applied and was approved Monday morning and received my card today. So it took 4 days to get the card.

Edit: it was also in a chase envelope, which was in a sealed UPS letter envelope with a piece of literature regarding the card, which I found odd.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:00:21 PM by andy85 »

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »
I applied the other day and got the message about how I'd hear via mail within 30 days. I called today and was approved on the spot, we just had to juggle around some of my other credit lines with Chase to make it work. So I should have my shiny new card soon!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2016, 05:37:26 PM »
Just an FYI for anybody waiting...I applied and was approved Monday morning and received my card today. So it took 4 days to get the card.

Edit: it was also in a chase envelope, which was in a sealed UPS letter envelope with a piece of literature regarding the card, which I found odd.

Yay... and you didn't ask for expedited?

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2016, 05:51:39 PM »

Yay... and you didn't ask for expedited?
Nope. I think I got my sapphire preferred card just as quick from them. Both within 5 business days.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »
Denial for me.  I'm apparently way over 5/24.  I've learned too much on this board and others, I guess.  BUT, dw was approved.  Her biggest credit line yet (larger than my biggest too) at $34K.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2016, 10:22:42 AM »
Got instant approval yesterday. ENORMOUS credit limit. YAY!

My first foray into the credit card churning world.

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »

Same! Hoping to get it early next week.

Does the 90-day spend start when you activate the card?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »

Same! Hoping to get it early next week.

Does the 90-day spend start when you activate the card?
No. From approval.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!