Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus  (Read 281196 times)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »
Annual fee posted 1 day after card arrived.  Boo!

frugalmaybe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
i've been wondering about something... obviously these sign-up bonuses make these cards worthwhile for churning. but how do you guys decide which cards to keep longterm and which ones are most people keeping longterm (if any. constantly churning seems to be, by far, the most economical option, insomuch as cc companies will keep approving).

2lazy2retire

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2016, 11:58:46 AM »
I have a SAHW - what do we put for income and employment status ( can I use family income)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
I have a SAHW - what do we put for income and employment status ( can I use family income)

Yes, you can include household.  I believe the definition of income for Chase's application was something like "income you have access to".

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: September 02, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
i've been wondering about something... obviously these sign-up bonuses make these cards worthwhile for churning. but how do you guys decide which cards to keep longterm and which ones are most people keeping longterm (if any. constantly churning seems to be, by far, the most economical option, insomuch as cc companies will keep approving).

This card seems reasonable to keep long term, to me.

It's got $50/incident roadside assist. The $300/year travel reimbursement means it only costs $150. It has significant price/travel protection benefits. And it also redeems points at a really high rate through the portal - 1.5x is much better than either the CSP or Freedom allow and you can transfer all your points to it.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2016, 12:27:35 PM »

It's got $50/incident roadside assist. The $300/year travel reimbursement means it only costs $150. It has significant price/travel protection benefits. And it also redeems points at a really high rate through the portal - 1.5x is much better than either the CSP or Freedom allow and you can transfer all your points to it.
I am thinking the same...i mean if you spend $10k/year and you get 1.5xpoints if you redeem through their portal...that takes care of that $150 in a sense. I have the freedom, preferred, and reserve...i think i may cancel the preferred next year and keep the freedom and reserve.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »
I am thinking the same...i mean if you spend $10k/year and you get 1.5xpoints if you redeem through their portal...that takes care of that $150 in a sense. I have the freedom, preferred, and reserve...i think i may cancel the preferred next year and keep the freedom and reserve.

Yeah, but you can get 2% cash back ($200 on that same $10,000) with a fee-free card... and you wouldn't have to spend it on travel if you didn't want to. The question should not be "can I make it pay for itself?" it should be "is this the maximum rewards I can get?"

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »

Yeah, but you can get 2% cash back ($200 on that same $10,000) with a fee-free card... and you wouldn't have to spend it on travel if you didn't want to. The question should not be "can I make it pay for itself?" it should be "is this the maximum rewards I can get?"

Yes, yes, yes! It's not about the benefits, its about the benefits relative to other cards you have or could get. For example, almost every major credit card provides rental car protection so that shouldn't even factor into the equation. That being said, I may still keep this after 1y depending on what other cards I have at the time and what the 3x cash back and 1.5x redemption are worth to me!

Pretty excited -- I just found out that for the work conference I'm going to this month I pay for the registration out of pocket then get reimbursed. So just got to put $1400 on my new card!! With this plus the hotel expenses at the end of this month (for said conference) I will hit $4k in no time. Then SO will get the CSR and we will have >200,000 UR points!! 

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »

excellent point. I guess it depends on where i stand with my cards next year as I don't plan on signing up for another card til the middle of next year.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »
Just got my annual fee waived, thanks to SCRA. I know it wasn't me personally, but I feel like the top ape right now, waving my arms in ecstatic victory. Winning!

Actually, I'm vaguly annoyed I had to call Chase, and specifically enroll my Reserve card, when the Sapphire is already in the system. That's either lazy, or greedy. BUT, the phone call took 3 minutes, which is roughly $8600/hour. I'll take it.

What is SCRA and how did that get your fee waived?

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »
Tried and failed to get the annual fee waived... at branch and over the phone. The response was no way... not for anyone, including private banking clients.

Any other data points on AF waiver?

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2016, 01:25:47 PM »
Just got my annual fee waived, thanks to SCRA. I know it wasn't me personally, but I feel like the top ape right now, waving my arms in ecstatic victory. Winning!

Actually, I'm vaguly annoyed I had to call Chase, and specifically enroll my Reserve card, when the Sapphire is already in the system. That's either lazy, or greedy. BUT, the phone call took 3 minutes, which is roughly $8600/hour. I'll take it.

Military thing. The Servicemember's Civil Relief Act. 

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2016, 01:27:27 PM »

Military thing. The Servicemember's Civil Relief Act.

Great!  our military deserve all the breaks they can get!!

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: September 02, 2016, 01:28:22 PM »

Right.  This only makes sense if you spend enough to make the extra $150 worth it.  As andy85 wrote we need to compete with a 2% cash back card which we can have for free.  Therefor we need at a minimum be able to get $150 in fees.  We can do that if we travel enough.  For example if we spend $10,000 a year on travel you will get 3x points or 30k points.  Those can be used to pay for $450 in travel expenses at 150%.  If you used a 2% cash back card you would get $200.  Therefor you gained a benefit of $250 which more than pays the extra cost of the card.

In addition by having a chase freedom card and you utilize the 5% cash back feature for lets say $2k/yr you get 10k points which can be converted to $150 in travel expenses.  This is as compared to a 2% card which would give you $40 cash back. I can not wait to get this card.  Too bad for the 5/24 rule as I got denied even being a chase private client :(

Also points seam to be valued at about 1.6 cents per point if transferred directly to united and used for basic awards travel.  More if you can get a decent super saver flight.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »
fyi, I spoke with Chase rep and confirmed that the $300 travel reimbursement is taken off your bill automatically when you purchase travel related items and will start right away (ie, doesn't only kick in after the minimum spend is met).  I know I read that somewhere in this long thread, but just confirming it for others that might not have read the entire thread.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »

The only annual fee card I'm likely to keep alive is my Chase Ink+ business
card so my UR points remain banked.  Eventually I'll let it go, too.  All other cards
are canceled on their anniversary date or "downgraded" via a product change
to a non-fee card.

Once the sign-up bonus is used, the perks diminish rapidly for almost
any annual fee card -- unless you're doing massive and friction-less
spending, e.g. spending that's reimbursed by your employer.  Even
then you're probably better of taking advantage of new sign-up offers
if possible.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: September 02, 2016, 01:55:59 PM »
fyi, I spoke with Chase rep and confirmed that the $300 travel reimbursement is taken off your bill automatically when you purchase travel related items and will start right away (ie, doesn't only kick in after the minimum spend is met).  I know I read that somewhere in this long thread, but just confirming it for others that might not have read the entire thread.

I'm seeing this.  Got my card earlier this week.  I booked a bunch of Airbnbs and each one has been offset by a credit.

My boss OK'ed me going to a convention in October so that's a charge around $1500 that will be reimbursed so I will easily get to my $4000 spend.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: September 02, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »
Well, that was much faster than anticipated - applied on Wednesday 2PM, was told they were reviewing my app. Acceptance e-mail Thursday 6:40PM. Card arrived Friday 3:45PM. They sent it UPS next day air, thus losing another $20 or so on my account. I almost feel guilty.

ETA: And they already charged me the $450...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:03:24 PM by Dollar Slice »

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
I just got mine in the mail today! Plastic, with the fancy metal one to come later. I'm pretty excited - I've dabbled a bit in getting cards for their points, but it's been almost 2 years since I've gotten a new card. Free (or exceedingly reduced price) travel is the best feeling ever.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #269 on: September 02, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »
I understand that getting cashback is different than redeeming for miles, but if I keep this card open and keep transferring the points from my Chase Freedom, does this effectively make my Freedom card a 7.5% reward card on the 5% rotating categories?

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: September 02, 2016, 04:27:01 PM »
Don't let that Chase 5/24 rule stop you from trying the in-branch technique! I just stopped in the local Chase branch and asked one of the bankers to check if I was pre-approved for the card, even though I have 12 new accounts in the last 2 years. I was approved! I'm really excited - this should be great for a trip to Europe next year, and I already have 20,000 UR points sitting on my Freedom card to transfer over.

Question - on my Amex last year I was able buy Amazon gift cards through the United app on my phone, and have it count as a reimbursable "travel" expense, has anyone seem anything about the same technique working for this card's $300 reimbursement?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:29:15 PM by kudy »

john6221

• Stubble
« Reply #271 on: September 02, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
Hmm...I'm interested, but I don't think I like the fact that the annual fee is posted right away.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #272 on: September 02, 2016, 05:35:59 PM »
I understand that getting cashback is different than redeeming for miles, but if I keep this card open and keep transferring the points from my Chase Freedom, does this effectively make my Freedom card a 7.5% reward card on the 5% rotating categories?

No.  Cash back is still at 1 cent per point. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #273 on: September 02, 2016, 05:46:48 PM »

It works out to 7.5% if the points are redeemed through the Chase travel portal.

john6221

• Stubble
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »
If I don't travel all that often, is this card worth it considering the annual fee?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
If I don't travel all that often, is this card worth it considering the annual fee?

The 100k points is worth $1000 as a direct deposit to your bank account. The $300 travel credit per calendar year should* be able to be used on gift cards, which depending on which you buy, you can sell for ~80% face value if you really don't travel. And because it's per calendar year you can get 2 of these credits in the first (which IMO should be your only) membership year.

So that'd be worth $1000 + .8*($600) = $1480 if you strictly want cash out of this card. Subtract the $450 AF and you're still up $1030.

frugalmaybe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2016, 09:53:50 PM »

the csr is 3 points per dollar spent.  if it's 1.5x points if you book through their portal (as people have said here, though i haven't verified), it's 4.5% "cash back" (i don't know the correct term for thsi) if you book travel through their portal
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:57:47 PM by frugalmaybe »

frugalmaybe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »
Hmm...I'm interested, but I don't think I like the fact that the annual fee is posted right away.

that must be how it makes these unusually attractive rewards worth it to chase. they can invest that money immediately and make returns on it. since they deduct it immediately each year and they won't be paying you the same amount in rewards for some time after that. in the world of high frequency trading, that probably amounts to a very profitable system for chase (aka jp morgan).

frugalmaybe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2016, 10:02:50 PM »

that sounds right. i need to get one of these, but i just received my capital one venture card. rrrgh.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2016, 10:03:01 PM »

the csr is 3 points per dollar spent.  if it's 1.5x points if you book through their portal (as people have said here, though i haven't verified), it's 4.5% "cash back" (i don't know the correct term for thsi) if you book travel through their portal

No, it's 3x per dollar only on travel and dining. Everything else is 1x. It's great if you travel a lot - 3x points and 1.5x value if you book through them. If you don't spend enough on travel, it's not going to be that good going forward. I don't spend anywhere near enough on travel to make it work.

I won't even talk about dining out enough to make those numbers work because this is MMM ;)

frugalmaybe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #280 on: September 02, 2016, 10:05:48 PM »

It works out to 7.5% if the points are redeemed through the Chase travel portal.

$750 in airfare for every 10k you spend on your chase freedom card sounds pretty good (minus the annual 150 of course)

frugalmaybe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »

No, it's 3x per dollar only on travel and dining. Everything else is 1x. It's great if you travel a lot - 3x points and 1.5x value if you book through them. If you don't spend enough on travel, it's not going to be that good going forward. I don't spend anywhere near enough on travel to make it work.

I won't even talk about dining out enough to make those numbers work because this is MMM ;)

ah i didn't realize that. hmmm, i personally spend about 10-15k a year on travel and dining. also, if you combine with the chase freedom, you do get 7.5% back in airfare points, it sounds like. of course, it's restricted to the freedom rotating rewards categories. i wonder if you can transfer points from csp to csr. csp is 2x points for all purchases, no? edit: nevermind, csp is 2x points only on travel and dining as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:11:46 PM by frugalmaybe »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2016, 10:13:22 PM »
Not sure if my math is right but I think $6000 in annual travel/dining spending (NOT including the stuff you book with points) would be the break-even point with this card over a 2% cash-back card. Doable for some folks, but a pretty small slice of the population.

john6221

• Stubble
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2016, 03:14:26 AM »
Jonny847, thanks for the details. Would you recommend specific travel gift cards to purchase as well as a place to sell them?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2016, 05:52:38 AM »
Not sure if my math is right but I think $6000 in annual travel/dining spending (NOT including the stuff you book with points) would be the break-even point with this card over a 2% cash-back card. Doable for some folks, but a pretty small slice of the population.

With the caveat that you need to actually be using the points for travel through the Chase portal, here is what I think is the optimal strategy to using Chase cards and avoiding any annual fee except the CSR:

Chase Freedom: 7.5% on rotating categories
Ink:  7.5% on office stores, phone, internet and such
Chase Sapphire Reserve: 4.5% on travel and dining
Ink: 3% on gas
Chase Freedom Unlimited: 2.25% on everything else.

Note, this is the "effective" return rate by using the points for travel via Chase, and presuming that you transfer all points to CSR for redemption to give the 1.5x multiplier.

frugalmaybe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2016, 08:12:34 AM »
i wonder if it's worth it to apply for this and close my capital one venture card without using the bonus...

i found out about the chase sapphire reserve after i received my capital one venture card (40,000 bonus ponts for charging $3k in three months). The reserve card bonus is obviously far better than capital one's, but ideally i would complete the capital one's bonus and then apply for the csr. My only worry is the csr's bonus offer might be gone in three months. For those more seasoned cc bonus churners out there, how long do these offers usually last? thanks.

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »

With the caveat that you need to actually be using the points for travel through the Chase portal, here is what I think is the optimal strategy to using Chase cards and avoiding any annual fee except the CSR:

Note, this is the "effective" return rate by using the points for travel via Chase, and presuming that you transfer all points to CSR for redemption to give the 1.5x multiplier.

The Priority Pass for airport lounges might tip the scale on making the AF worthwhile for some folks on this card (unless you could also get the pass on the CSP?)  Difficult to account for that vs. straight up cashback that's dependent on spending though.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2016, 11:17:54 AM »
i wonder if it's worth it to apply for this and close my capital one venture card without using the bonus...

i found out about the chase sapphire reserve after i received my capital one venture card (40,000 bonus ponts for charging $3k in three months). The reserve card bonus is obviously far better than capital one's, but ideally i would complete the capital one's bonus and then apply for the csr. My only worry is the csr's bonus offer might be gone in three months. For those more seasoned cc bonus churners out there, how long do these offers usually last? thanks.

The response to the CSR is unusually high. First Chase ran out of the fancy delivery boxes and started using envelopes. Then they ran out of fancy cards and started sending plain plastic ones.

I don't know if their internal response is "Yay! We hit a major success, full speed ahead" or "Oh shit, we miscalculated something. How soon can we cut this off?"

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 03, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
I don't know if their internal response is "Yay! We hit a major success, full speed ahead" or "Oh shit, we miscalculated something. How soon can we cut this off?"

Depends which department you're talking to. ;-)

Chase marketing folks are breaking out the champagne and calculating
their annual bonuses.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: September 03, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »

The response to the CSR is unusually high. First Chase ran out of the fancy delivery boxes and started using envelopes. Then they ran out of fancy cards and started sending plain plastic ones.

I always wonder on offers like this what percentage of card signups are from people who have 100% no plan on holding the card long term.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: September 03, 2016, 04:35:53 PM »
FYI, for those wondering about the priority pass airport lounge benefit....you have to activate it through Chase Ultimate Rewards website under Use Points/Card Benefits .  Once activated, they will send you a pass that is good for a year and will auto renew at no charge to you.  However, since we are travelling tmrw and won't get the pass in time, I asked how I could use the benefit and the rep said that you can go ahead and charge the cost to enter the lounge and they will remove the charge off your bill.  You can do this up to 2x a year.  So if you forget your pass or can't get it in time, you can still access the lounge for free (although you have to charge it and then get reimbursed).  Once your pass arrives it is good for unlimited visits to the lounges.  Apparently the alcohol is included for free in the lounge?  Anyone have first hand experience with this? 

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #291 on: September 03, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »
I could have used the roadside assist but had to get to work  (car died at home).   My wife got home early and used the AT&T coverage.  They changed it from free tow to $30.   I might have gotten a claim paid for that $30 but she did not use the card.   Chase also seems to want you to book the service / tow through their help number.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #292 on: September 04, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »

Thanks for this. Makes me think about actually holding onto this card.

Our travel dates are not all that flexible (we both work), so doing frequent flyer miles generally won't work for us.

If we do some light churning, we could also get an extra 50-100k points a year between the two of us, to be redeemed at 1.5x through Chase's portal.

For those with more flexible travel plans who won't be using Chase's portal, it looks like $7500 a year in travel/dining is the threshhold for making the card worth holding onto, assuming you would get 1x points on freebie card. ($150/0.02 = $7500)

I'm even thinking about paying the extra $75 for a second user, for the convenience and to get Global Reentry x2. Doesn't appear authorized users get this.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:20:47 AM by dca »

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #293 on: September 04, 2016, 09:18:34 AM »
My wife and I were talking about adding her as a user for convenience as well but instead just decided to add the card to her apple pay. This works in a large amount of places and allows her to help meeting the 4K spending threshold without wasting an extra 75 bucks.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #294 on: September 04, 2016, 09:19:19 AM »
I don't know why people are surprised that the fee is charged right away.
What yearly membership do you know what charges you at the end of the year ??
Every CC charges you the annual fee at the beginning. You can always cancel the card and they will give you the prorated fee back.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2016, 09:22:32 AM »
My wife and I were talking about adding her as a user for convenience as well but instead just decided to add the card to her apple pay. This works in a large amount of places and allows her to help meeting the 4K spending threshold without wasting an extra 75 bucks.

That's an excellent idea.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2016, 10:13:29 AM »
Every CC charges you the annual fee at the beginning. You can always cancel the card and they will give you the prorated fee back.
Many churnable cards waive the fee the first year, so some are surprised.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »
Many churnable cards waive the fee the first year, so some are surprised.

Like the CSP.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: September 04, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »

A partial list of cards I've applied for with the first year annual fee waived:
  • Chase Ink+
  • Citi AAdvantage Platinum (x5 via Citi loophole)
  • Citi AAdvantage Gold
  • Well Fargo World Propel
  • Chase United Explorer (both business and personal)
  • Barclay Arrival+
  • Amex Ameriprise Platinum
  • Chase Rapid Rewards

Not always.  There's been some push back regarding canceling
cards from the banks.

For example, effective September 1, 2016, American Express
is ending prorated refunds of their annual fee, after a
30-day grace period.

Citi is usually willing to refund the full annual fee up
to 30 days and Chase is usually 60 days after the annual
fee posts.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
Jonny847, thanks for the details. Would you recommend specific travel gift cards to purchase as well as a place to sell them?

Note: I'd probably look around on flyertalk threads or elsewhere to confirm that gift cards do work at the place you want to buy them from (they should, but always good to check first).

I use GiftCardWiki to look at resale prices. Looking at travel gift cards, sorted by sell rate, and ignoring gas gift cards, American Airlines is at the top of the list at 81.3% from ABC Gift Card or 80% from Cardpool. Southwest is 81% at ABC Gift Card.

I've had good experiences with both ABC Gift Cards and Cardpool. I've heard though that recently ABC Gift Cards has been really unfriendly to new sellers? I can't confirm because I've been reselling for a while. Might just want to go with AA cards from Cardpool if that's the case.