Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648211 times)

happy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1050 on: July 24, 2015, 08:31:47 PM »
:)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1051 on: July 27, 2015, 08:24:18 PM »
Just submitted my very last student loan payment.  It should finalize on my birthday.  So... Happy birthday to me!  No more student loan payments!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1052 on: July 28, 2015, 06:04:17 AM »
Just submitted my very last student loan payment.  It should finalize on my birthday.  So... Happy birthday to me!  No more student loan payments!
Congrats!  I can't wait to join you!

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #1053 on: July 30, 2015, 06:34:58 AM »

That is so great! It's gotta feel like a breath of fresh air!

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #1054 on: July 30, 2015, 02:26:36 PM »
Great! This month we had a new record with 47.4% savings rate (of take home pay). Ok, there was some small vacation-money from my employer however even accounting for that the rate is still very good.
Usually we get around 34% in average over the last 2 years - and this in germany with two kids and only a single income :)

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #1055 on: August 04, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
We payed off our first credit card in 8 weeks! We slammed about $150 on it a week and just closed it. Plan on having a card cutting ceremony tonight :)
We can't brag about this to anyone other than my Mustachian family but it feels good and finally feels like we have some momentum to paying off our debt!

Congrats! That's awesome.

Did you actually close the account yet? It's usually best practice to leave the account open with zero balance, since average age of accounts is a large component of your credit score.

Thank you! Hopefully we can knock it the next one this quickly too :)

We went ahead and closed it. It is actually my DH's CC and his credit score is high enough it can take a hit and we have no credit dependent purchases anytime soon, and this was a pretty low limit card (maybe 2k?) so the impact on our total utilization ratio is pretty minor. We intend to keep my card open then later down the line open one with better benefits. This card had almost zero rewards and we only opened it because our 12 year old moodle slipped a disc and had emergency vet bills (we are working on an emergency fund too)

WE HAVE PAID OFF THE LAST CREDIT CARD *happy dance*
2 months ahead of schedule. We'll be leaving this one open because it has decent perks. In total we paid off somewhere around 3k of credit card debt in 3.5 months (which is huge for us, we don't have a very high take home pay)
Next goal: paying off the Honda Fit by the end of February, we have about 4k left on it.

stacheasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1056 on: August 04, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »
Just reached $0 NW (thanks student loans... blech)!!  I'm out of the hole, everything's looking up from here

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #1057 on: August 04, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
Just reached $0 NW (thanks student loans... blech)!!  I'm out of the hole, everything's looking up from here

Woot! It's all uphill from here!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1058 on: August 06, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I love hearing about people reaching $0. Next stop $1K, $10K, and beyond!!

bittheory

• Stubble
« Reply #1059 on: August 07, 2015, 02:41:38 PM »
I am on schedule to max out my Roth IRA contribution this year, and am contributing 5% + 3% match to my employer's SIMPLE plan. My wife and I  have been adding approx $200 additional principal every month to our rental property and are on schedule to have that mortgage paid off in 15 years.

I also freelance occasionally on the side, and with every check I receive, I challenged myself to contribute half of it into Vanguard and my daughter's 529 plan, then save half for year end taxes. I've been good about doing it so far, and have saved almost $2K for my daughter's education this year alone and it's only August.

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #1060 on: August 07, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »
After getting married in June and moving in with the misses, I have my house rented out, and received my first rental payment this week.  As if having an extra ~20,000 a year isn't enough, while listing the home I found out that it had appreciated somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% in total value over the course of 2 years.  If it keeps up at that pace, I'm making as much on appreciation as I am on rent!

Woo multiple income streams!

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1061 on: August 11, 2015, 07:26:02 AM »
I can't really share this with real live people so I wanted to post here :)

This time last year ( Aug 12 actually) I posted my case study. Since then, we've paid off all my student loans (over $17,000), saved another $25,000 for a house downpayment, added $14,000 to my husband's 401k, 2500 into my IRA. That means we "saved" about $61,000 over the last year. We started at 72k net worth and we just passed the 150k mark. Keeping our eyes on the prize month to month has sometimes been difficult, but seeing what we did over a whole year is really awesome and motivating. Onto year 2!

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #1062 on: August 11, 2015, 07:41:30 AM »
And off she goes! My wife, that is, riding to work for the first time this morning! My riding and suggesting finally rubbed off on her, and she bought a city bike this weekend. It's only 2.5 miles for her, and she will be able to do it on most days (at least while the weather is nice; I'm not sure how cold hardy she'll be). It only took 4 years...

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1063 on: August 11, 2015, 07:53:52 AM »
I can't really share this with real live people so I wanted to post here :)

This time last year ( Aug 12 actually) I posted my case study. Since then, we've paid off all my student loans (over $17,000), saved another $25,000 for a house downpayment, added $14,000 to my husband's 401k, 2500 into my IRA. That means we "saved" about $61,000 over the last year. We started at 72k net worth and we just passed the 150k mark. Keeping our eyes on the prize month to month has sometimes been difficult, but seeing what we did over a whole year is really awesome and motivating. Onto year 2!
Well done!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1064 on: August 12, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »
I just got word from the Credit Union that my loans are on track to be paid off by late fall!! That will free up $50-100 to return to my paycheck and be apportioned out to savings... Also the $1231 tax bill I was worrying I had to pay in full the IRS agreed to let me pay it in installments yay!!

JD_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1065 on: August 14, 2015, 11:32:59 AM »
Following the past 8 months of craziness at work, I recently received a nice annual increase (8%), plus a $6k spot bonus.  Very grateful for that, it's been a tough year so far.  Now, I just received a verbal offer for a new job, which brings a 5% pay increase and is closer to home. 

Now the tough decision time comes.  I'm going to talk to my boss and boss' boss today to see if they would be willing to match the offer to keep me here.  Wish me luck!

-JD

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1066 on: August 18, 2015, 10:21:53 PM »
This is the smallest mini-accomplishment, but I've just invested in a $18 Tweezerman tweezer to replace my previous dependency on $18/month eyebrow threading.

Eliminating one recurring expense at a time...

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1067 on: August 19, 2015, 12:16:39 AM »
I just rented out my parking space! Fewer wasted resources + income for me = double-yay.

This is only a mini-celebration, as I'd actually rented it out in years past, but when my last tenant left I found demand to be waning*, and due to laziness I just let the spot sit dormant.

* A double-whammy: an influx of young, carless folks in the building meant a smaller potential clientele and more competition on the supply side. Darn my mustachian brethren!

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #1068 on: August 19, 2015, 05:04:14 PM »
Got an unexpected mid-year 20% raise!  Increased my auto-investments by 20%!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1069 on: August 20, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »
My visa finally went through and I finally left for London. I put a deposit down for a beautiful, cheap flat today, and I start my ridiculously awesome job and badass bike commute Monday! Everything's coming up Millhouse!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1070 on: August 21, 2015, 06:05:29 AM »
Commuted into work on my bike for the first time this morning.  I look forward to the day that my legs barely register the "hill".

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #1071 on: August 24, 2015, 11:24:32 AM »
My visa finally went through and I finally left for London. I put a deposit down for a beautiful, cheap flat today, and I start my ridiculously awesome job and badass bike commute Monday! Everything's coming up Millhouse!

Well, that all sounds fantastic. Don't forget to update us!

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1072 on: August 27, 2015, 05:24:10 PM »
Hit 15mph average on my 20 mile round trip commute yesterday. Upped my 401k contribution prior to the birth(due Oct 24th) of our first, figuring it's easier to budget if I never see the money to begin with. 
Trying to up my bike commute to 3 days a week, at 2 currently, but it's a bit hard to be motivated on Monday mornings :).

Katagal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1073 on: August 28, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
I'm celebrating and it's solely due to this terrific website!  I took on board assorted tips and hints gleaned from hours reading through the forum, the best one being minimising your work commute.  An opportunity arose to transfer at same level to a branch closer to home, essentially a 3 kilometre walk up the road from a 9.2 kilometre or 10 minute drive to work.  Now I was due to start at the new branch on September 5 then I get a tap on the shoulder by head honcho to back fill a position for 3 months while someone is recovering from breast cancer treatment, this position is a couple of jumps up the ladder and is a bus ride into the CBD.  Before MMM I would have been thinking of a gadjillion ways to spend the increase in pay on all kinds of consumerist rubbish, now I am salivating over the significant (approx. $200 extra pw) increase into my savings for the next 3 months.

Thanks again MMM and your wonderful contributors!

Kingsmen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1074 on: August 29, 2015, 11:29:31 PM »
I want to share two milestones on my path to FI.  In one day I:
1)  Paid off a $6000 student loan charging 6.8%
2)  Paid off my Honda Civic ($8900 at 3.9% interest)

I must say, it feels good to not have to worry about these monthly expenses and all the interest I would have paid had I made minimum payments for the life of the loans.

Congratulations to all the Mustachians making milestones every day!!!

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1075 on: August 31, 2015, 07:02:28 AM »
Got a signed contract on selling our rental house after only a week on the market! We never intended to be landlords, but when we moved in 2011 and couldn't sell the old house, we just sort of fell into it. The cash flow worked while the house was occupied (because of a large down payment when I bought the place), but I never would've bought a $170k house to rent for $1300-1400/month.

Once we close (October), I'll pay off the last of our non-mortgage debts and watch the 'stache grow even faster!  We could've paid those debts off sooner, but I didn't want to liquidate our Vanguard funds to do it. :)

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #1076 on: August 31, 2015, 07:37:04 AM »
My DH and I are purchasing our first home and we were able to stay in the city since we're getting a studio condo. Very excited to move and we're closing in less that 3 weeks!

TooManyGuitars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1077 on: August 31, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
My company has been over withholding for taxes by way too much for the last couple of years, resulting in massive refunds.  I fixed that, and rerouted the additional $$ into my superannuation account, and now it is maxed out.  :-)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1078 on: August 31, 2015, 05:45:38 PM »
I called Time Warner because my internet bill had gone up to $78/mo (for the mid-level 30/5 package!?!) from $66 since my "promotional credit" expired. I called in to see what I could do, and it turned out that they'd upgraded their tiers so I was now in the 200 Mbps range. Downgraded to 50/5 (faster than I had before) and now my bill is supposed to be $58.

I fully expect some sort of billing shenanigans involving losing a credit I didn't know I had, but it will definitely be at least a little cheaper. :-)

Matilda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1079 on: September 05, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »
This is a tiny celebration, but I have taken the first step in paying down our massive CC debt.  Yesterday was my second paycheck, and I made an extra payment towards the worst card.  We have so much to do, but it feels good to have started, at least. 

MsChewieBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1080 on: September 08, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
I'm new here, so these accomplishments are very small, but I suppose it's better to have gains than losses!

1. Paid off a $710 loan balance. It had a $286/month payment, so that opens up a lot of room in our budget.

2. Paid off a $150 credit card balance.

3. Added $410 to our emergency fund.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1081 on: September 09, 2015, 06:06:09 AM »
No mustachian achievement is too small for this thread! Well done :)

MsChewieBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1082 on: September 09, 2015, 10:53:08 AM »
Thank you! Just paid off another debt for $163.49. "Only" 16 more debts left in my snowball (9 of them have balances of less than $800, so although things aren't great, they aren't quite as dire as they sound when I say I have 16 debts left to pay).

I also opened a Roth IRA account for myself and one for my husband. He's leaving his current job at the end of September, so he'll be able to roll his 401(k) right over. I'm self-employed, so I thought a Roth IRA was the best type of account out of all my options.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1083 on: September 09, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
Go ChewieBear! Doesn't it feel good clearing out those little guys!

We managed to get rid of a line of credit and a Visa Card earlier this year, and now are down to fighting dragons - no more gremlins to chase. Just make sure to roll those payment onto your bigger debts to knochk them down. Once the payment amount gets absorbed into the family budget you never get it back!

Are you already on YNAB? It will make a big difference.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1084 on: September 11, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
I quit my job last week and signed a new offer for a 59% raise plus profit sharing, so likely closer to 70% in reality.  Twice the vacation time, 1/3ish health care costs, plus other perks. I'm thrilled. :D

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1085 on: September 11, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
Woohoo go JLee!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1086 on: September 11, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
Mighty impressive, JLee!

Feminine Mustique

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1087 on: September 13, 2015, 06:34:57 AM »
Traded in my enormous 2012 Highlander for a 2014 Prius v with only 14,000 miles... And getting a check back from the dealership. Thank you MMM for waking me up!

xdragoox

« Reply #1088 on: September 13, 2015, 07:07:39 AM »
Congrats to all of you!!
This site never ceases to amaze me with it's positive encouragement and inspiration.

My little accomplishment is that I just paid off an CC with a $4,260 balance on Sept 1st.
The ultra-low promotional 1.9% APR was scheduled to automatically rise up to 23.90% after 09/01.

I also paid off another Credit Card that had a balance of $3,275 a few month ago back in May.

That's two down, one more to go.
Thank you my fellow Mustachians!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:25:38 PM by BeardedWarrior »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1089 on: September 13, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
Nice work JLee, FM and BW

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1090 on: September 14, 2015, 12:44:33 AM »
I quit my job last week and signed a new offer for a 59% raise plus profit sharing, so likely closer to 70% in reality.  Twice the vacation time, 1/3ish health care costs, plus other perks. I'm thrilled. :D

Way to go JLee! Had you been feeling out for the new position long, or did the opportunity just spring up?

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1091 on: September 14, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »
I just, well a few weeks ago, bought a flat (what we call them here in the UK)! It's a new build and very energy efficient as most new builds are these days due to government requirements. No more smelly other people's food, bastard flatmates or covering myself up to look decent around my home (and actually feeling welcome in my home!) Wooooot!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1092 on: September 14, 2015, 09:46:16 AM »

Way to go JLee! Had you been feeling out for the new position long, or did the opportunity just spring up?

I got set up by a good friend who's been trying to get me an offer for the last 7 months and it finally pulled through. :D

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1093 on: September 14, 2015, 11:25:35 PM »

I got set up by a good friend who's been trying to get me an offer for the last 7 months and it finally pulled through. :D

Nice. Friends kick ass :-)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1094 on: September 15, 2015, 03:23:09 AM »
I just, well a few weeks ago, bought a flat (what we call them here in the UK)! It's a new build and very energy efficient as most new builds are these days due to government requirements. No more smelly other people's food, bastard flatmates or covering myself up to look decent around my home (and actually feeling welcome in my home!) Wooooot!

Congrats.:)

Lindy Hop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1095 on: September 15, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
We are paying off the mortgage on the rental house today. Which is step 2 of our 5 step plan to reach FI. So while it sounds really exciting, it actually is just a small celebration. I've crunched the numbers a thousand times and this is the right thing to do. Why does my stomach hurt so much?

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #1096 on: September 15, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »
I've been biking home from work for a few months now, and I finally conquered my toughest hill. When I first started it took me 18 minutes, and yesterday I shattered all of my records and made it in 9.5 min!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1097 on: September 15, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
I've been biking home from work for a few months now, and I finally conquered my toughest hill. When I first started it took me 18 minutes, and yesterday I shattered all of my records and made it in 9.5 min!

That's fantastic! Congrats!

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1098 on: September 15, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
Thanks @Londoner38! You must feel the pain or know what I mean

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1099 on: September 16, 2015, 12:30:31 AM »
Today's celebration for me is more an accumulation of little willpower victories than any milestones achieved. But I had a kick-ass Mustachian day today!
1. I biked to work (as I do twice a week) and home again. I packed a lunch and cleaned out a bunch of the little bits and bobs left in the fridge. Refrigerator Velcro Salad to the rescue again! (It was delicious).
2. While getting ready to take a munchkin to soccer practice, I realized we were almost out of bread. This makes making lunches at our house difficult. So... I pulled out the food processor and in less than 10 minutes had two batches of bread dough mixed, kneaded and rising. I baked them tonight after dinner (dinner was a baked meal, so the oven only got heated up once) and avoided a trip to the grocery store, which I guarantee would have had me buying more than just a loaf of bread! Plus, this bread is waaay yummier.
3. Today was payday and one of us got a bonus (hint: it's not the one that works in the public sector) ;), plus I got a reimbursement check for some travel expenses, so we got to stick a solid chunk in our taxable Vanguard account as well as one of our 529 accounts. Whoo-hoo!
4. While on my Vanguard account summary page, checked one of my deferred comp accounts and realized that my dividends for that account have doubled as I plow more money in. That's awesome! I don't expect this to continue (I'm pretty sure exponential dividend growth is only something you see when you are investing at the low end of the curve, and I just opened this particular account six months ago), but it's motivating for now!
5. I also signed up for the Vanguard automatic investing. We'd been putting spare money into the taxable account, but we consistently max out our deferred comp / IRAs, so I decided to start funneling money to the taxable account on a regular basis. We've got low-cost index funds in there, of course (Hello, VTMSX! can't wait to start dating the Admiral version of you soon!)
6. I redid my SRA for the 403b, to max it out.
7. Redid my SRA for my other deferred comp plan (a 457) for 2016 and will max that out as well.
8. Set a goal of saving 50% of our take-home pay for the rest of 2015 and for all of 2016. We're at 43% now. I'd like to get us up to 60% within the next five years.

Looking forward to contributing to this page more in the future!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!