Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648188 times)

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1000 on: June 15, 2015, 02:04:34 PM »
My little sister and I fixed my dryer door the other night. Ordered new hinges, swapped them out, works like a charm now!

Carlsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1001 on: June 17, 2015, 07:29:25 AM »
On Wednesday June 10th, my wife and I paid off our line of credit.  Our only debt now is the mortgage on our house.  By the end of the year we will have our emergency fund fully funded.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1002 on: June 17, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »
On Wednesday June 10th, my wife and I paid off our line of credit.  Our only debt now is the mortgage on our house.  By the end of the year we will have our emergency fund fully funded.

So Jealous. The line of credit is such a weight for us. Its kindof a big deal around our house that we are pre-paying our kids summer daycamps without dipping into it this year - only 2 more weeks to pre-pay and then we can redirect all the childcare money to paying down the LoC. In the fall our youngest begins full-day school so our childcare will be down to after-school care for a half-hour each day. That will allow a much more aggressive pay-down.

Good for you on tackling that debt!

TheBanker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1003 on: June 17, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
My net worth went from red to black today. Hopefully it will never go back!

I graduated college in 2013 with ~$25K in student loans and CC's and $22K auto loan. Still have some loans to pay down (at 3.15%) but have been adding to my vanguard accts since finding this site.

I turned in an old expense report yesterday and logged onto mint to find the good news!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #1004 on: June 18, 2015, 08:49:56 AM »
My WR-if-I-were-to-RE-today dropped below 3% yesterday.

I fully funded my Roth pipeline as of last week.

RE target (tentative, may contract OMY disease) is 2/19/16.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1005 on: June 18, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »

Congrats!  I hope you catch OLY disease.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1006 on: June 18, 2015, 09:17:10 AM »

Just got back a bigger tax refund than I was expecting. It dropped my fire date by 2 months, I'm now less than 20 months away !

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #1007 on: June 18, 2015, 01:12:52 PM »

Congrats!  I hope you catch OLY disease.  :)

Thanks, ARS!  My countdown says 246 days left, so OLY will be hard :-).

Options vest on 2/4, will give 2 week notice on 2/5.  That's the current plan anyway; I may tweak it a little.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1008 on: June 18, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »
Finally achieved a 60% savings rate :). Its been a goal ever since I hit 50% 3 years ago.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1009 on: June 18, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
Convinced my husband we should put 10-15k of our overlarge cash holdings into Vanguard funds. Considering he was raised by people who survived the Depression and still regards banks with a fair bit of healthy suspicion, this agreeing to the stock market thing is huge.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1010 on: June 18, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »
Finally achieved a 60% savings rate :). Its been a goal ever since I hit 50% 3 years ago.

You must be happy.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1011 on: June 19, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »
Yup. Maybe I should change my handle to Tortoise. But you know slow and steady wins the race…..the changes I've made are well entrenched and sustainable

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1012 on: June 25, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »
Just a small achievement, but I'm really proud of it. I've been biking to work from the train station, about 1.5 miles. Except the last couple blocks are up a hill. This hill is murder, and I always have to walk part way up. My goal was to make it up the hill by the end of summer. Yesterday, I managed to make it up the hill on the bike!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1013 on: June 25, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »
Just a small achievement, but I'm really proud of it. I've been biking to work from the train station, about 1.5 miles. Except the last couple blocks are up a hill. This hill is murder, and I always have to walk part way up. My goal was to make it up the hill by the end of summer. Yesterday, I managed to make it up the hill on the bike!

That's huge!  Your badassity muscles are bulging!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1014 on: June 26, 2015, 07:15:22 PM »
Opened a Vanguard account this week, our first post-tax investments in anything with a chance of some reasonable return. Since Se waited so long, we can go straight to Admiral shares, it looks like.

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1015 on: June 27, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
Heading back today to live in the U.S. after living in Shanghai for 11 years. Cultural experience/travel were big motivating factors for the move, but we also had financial goals. All the savings goals set at the outset have been met, we have paid off our Seattle house, cleared a 3x return on the apartment we purchased when we first moved here and are returning with a nice nest egg - pretty amazing to think back at our hopes and see how things have turned out. Plus, we've had a terrific experience living here - win all around!

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #1016 on: July 01, 2015, 01:39:01 PM »
I'm not thrilled with where we're at in this moment, so I think I need to celebrate the things we do have to celebrate:

Paid off my Prius! It wasn't a big loan or a high interest rate, so I just slowly made monthly payments and as of last month it is mine all mine :) I celebrated with new tires which it desperately needed, and decided not to get the small scuff on the back bumper from being rear ended fixed (pocketed the insurance money instead.) Planning to drive it til it dies, and not worrying about what it looks like while I do.

Got word that husband's 401K match is returning! He's been rallying for this for years after it was taken away in 2009 (along with a 10% salary decrease across the board thanks to the economic crisis.) Although the company has been in good shape again for a long time now and his salary is well above where he was even before the pay cut, they still hadn't brought the match back and I can't wait for it to kick in.

Although we took on extra house debt (trying to remind myself that this is our only debt!) to finish building the house we're in the middle of, I'm happy that it appraised incredibly high and that our total house debt is only 50% of appraisal. I'm hoping that we'll actually use less of the credit line than we have available, and that our interest rate will be decreased when the house is done. We'll see if I'm posting those celebrations here in 6 months...

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1017 on: July 01, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »
I'm not thrilled with where we're at in this moment, so I think I need to celebrate the things we do have to celebrate:

Paid off my Prius! It wasn't a big loan or a high interest rate, so I just slowly made monthly payments and as of last month it is mine all mine :) I celebrated with new tires which it desperately needed, and decided not to get the small scuff on the back bumper from being rear ended fixed (pocketed the insurance money instead.) Planning to drive it til it dies, and not worrying about what it looks like while I do.

Got word that husband's 401K match is returning! He's been rallying for this for years after it was taken away in 2009 (along with a 10% salary decrease across the board thanks to the economic crisis.) Although the company has been in good shape again for a long time now and his salary is well above where he was even before the pay cut, they still hadn't brought the match back and I can't wait for it to kick in.

Although we took on extra house debt (trying to remind myself that this is our only debt!) to finish building the house we're in the middle of, I'm happy that it appraised incredibly high and that our total house debt is only 50% of appraisal. I'm hoping that we'll actually use less of the credit line than we have available, and that our interest rate will be decreased when the house is done. We'll see if I'm posting those celebrations here in 6 months...

congrats.

now you have to compund those, like put that prius payment in your 401k or an etf.

if it is as it sounds like that youre not yet where you want to be, you cant let up. you'll know when you get to where you want to be, you'll feel more at ease when your stash is big enough that you feel you can handle anything coming at you.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #1018 on: July 08, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »
So....I'm holding a freshly minted copy of my book in my hands. After a year+ of blood, sweat, tears and liver-compromising levels of alcohol consumption, it's actually here. And, I think it might actually be really good. I don't even fucking know how I feel right now. This is the strangest celebration feeling I've ever felt. Yay?

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #1019 on: July 08, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
Just got a tenant for our primary residence turned rental.  We have an opportunity to reduce our housing costs significantly by moving and renting out.  Monthly savings added to net worth up from $1125 to $~3,000/month.  Working hard to pay down mortgage balance currently at $176,000.  Net worth is just shy of $500,000, hoping to get there by the end of the summer!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1020 on: July 08, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
So....I'm holding a freshly minted copy of my book in my hands. After a year+ of blood, sweat, tears and liver-compromising levels of alcohol consumption, it's actually here. And, I think it might actually be really good. I don't even fucking know how I feel right now. This is the strangest celebration feeling I've ever felt. Yay?

Yes, yay. Congratulations! Now where can I buy one?

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #1021 on: July 08, 2015, 07:36:57 PM »

Seconded!

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1022 on: July 08, 2015, 07:52:39 PM »

Seconded!
congrats !

i have been told by women it was tougher to write a book than have a baby, so all sorts of respect for your book; be very proud.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1023 on: July 08, 2015, 09:34:39 PM »

Wow, way to go!!

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1024 on: July 09, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
Hah! Thanks. You can pre-order on amazon now (http://amzn.to/1KXeWqx), or it will be available "wherever books are sold" on September 29. Apparently it's currently the #1 new release in Seasonal Cooking on Amazon. Holy crap.

congrats !

i have been told by women it was tougher to write a book than have a baby, so all sorts of respect for your book; be very proud.
I'd agree with that. I've had two babies, both without pain meds, and writing this book was harder. I also gained more weight writing this book than I did pregnant with my son. :D

Wow, way to go!!
Thank you ARS. How's your wife's book going? Is she on to the second one?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1025 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »

Wow, way to go!!

Yup!  She's got several close to release. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1026 on: July 09, 2015, 10:02:17 AM »

Wow, way to go!!

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1027 on: July 09, 2015, 12:30:16 PM »

Wow, way to go!!

So cool! Please offer my congratulations. That's a huge accomplishment.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1028 on: July 09, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
congrats !

I'd agree with that. I've had two babies, both without pain meds, and writing this book was harder. I also gained more weight writing this book than I did pregnant with my son. :D

At least you get to have a drink while giving birth to your book though. ;-)

I've neither had a baby nor written a book. I would have thought having a baby was worse...but what do I know?

Congratulations on the book. I see you were a trained chef. How I wish I lived close by and could attend one of those meetups...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1029 on: July 10, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »
Hah! Thanks. You can pre-order on amazon now (http://amzn.to/1KXeWqx), or it will be available "wherever books are sold" on September 29. Apparently it's currently the #1 new release in Seasonal Cooking on Amazon. Holy crap.

Preorder placed. Added a bearing I need to repair my dryer to get free shipping and used gift cards from doing focus groups, so you'll get paid (a very small amount) for my focus groups. Ah, brave new world.

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #1030 on: July 10, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »

Yay indeed! And sometimes sassy ;-)

HoosierGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1031 on: July 10, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »
Just found MMM not quite 2 weeks ago and I put some of the principles in practice this week. I've brought my breakfast & lunch to work all week, so I've saved $15.00 on breakfast and $50 on lunch. I gave up my $1 unsweetened tea from McDs so that saved another $5.20. So just taking 5 minutes each morning produced $70.20 in savings!

I've also changed to a reduced parking pass which costs .48 cents a week as opposed to 8.65. (Savings of  8.17)

Finally, I've brought my bike to work to commute the daily 3.0 mile (1.5 each way) from the outer lot on campus to my building. So, I've bike 15 miles on my commute and another 7 miles just for fun. I hope to build stamina and in a few weeks so I can extend the commute to 5.0 miles per day and hopefully lose some weight in the process.

Total savings this week from very easy peasy changes is $78.37 and if I can keep it up It will net me $313.48 this month or projected out to $3,761 a year.

I haven't cut the cable yet but plan to this weekend which will give me another $100/month savings and will boost my yearly savings to $4,961! It so amazing to think that 2 small, very low effort changes can save me almost $5 grand a year. I'm on my way...

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1032 on: July 10, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »
Preorder placed. Added a bearing I need to repair my dryer to get free shipping and used gift cards from doing focus groups, so you'll get paid (a very small amount) for my focus groups. Ah, brave new world.
Hey, thank you! According to my publishers, pre-orders are even BETTER than normal orders, because Amazon takes # of preorders and orders 3x that many for on-hand stock, and sitting on that stocks then gives them an incentive to promote the book. This has been such a crazy education. Please know I super appreciate your order!

Yay indeed! And sometimes sassy ;-)

That's exactly how my publisher is selling the book - "occasionally sassy advice." I think it's the polite way of saying, "mouthy broad." ;)

Edit: words.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1033 on: July 10, 2015, 05:39:04 PM »
Congratulations, Erica!  I'm sure it's a wonderful book and I'm going to pre-order it, too.  I'm glad to learn it triple-helps you.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #1034 on: July 11, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »
Congratulations on the book Erica! Hope it does well for you.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1035 on: July 13, 2015, 09:11:51 AM »
I also placed a pre-order :)

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1036 on: July 13, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »

Thank you Mrs. LC!

Congratulations, Erica!  I'm sure it's a wonderful book and I'm going to pre-order it, too.  I'm glad to learn it triple-helps you.

Thank you so much Freckles and Aetherie! I'm blown away/humbled/grateful for the # of pre-orders from the MMM community. I don't want anyone screwing up their financial goals to impulse buy my book, but I'm so thankful for the support. <3

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1037 on: July 14, 2015, 04:18:53 AM »

Thank you Mrs. LC!

Thank you so much Freckles and Aetherie! I'm blown away/humbled/grateful for the # of pre-orders from the MMM community. I don't want anyone screwing up their financial goals to impulse buy my book, but I'm so thankful for the support. <3

No guilt on that front; it'll save me more than I spend because I'll pick up one or two good ideas and implement them for years. Plus at some point a new recipe will be more interesting than going out.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1038 on: July 14, 2015, 05:23:05 AM »

I used a gift card, so my financial goals will not be screwed up! (Not that $19 would do that anyway.) I expect this will be the best impulse buy I make all year.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: July 14, 2015, 06:11:49 AM »
Ooh, temptation. Erica, that book looks awesome. Well done!

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #1040 on: July 14, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »
Congrats Erica!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: July 15, 2015, 10:07:21 AM »
Why have I never discovered this thread before?!

Congrats Erica!
Congrats everyone else!

Today I calculated my net worth at 500,000! I get such a rush from every purchase I make towards buying my freedom, much more than any rush I get buying things/stuff/crap I don't need, like I used to get.

jordanread

« Reply #1042 on: July 15, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »
Just found MMM not quite 2 weeks ago and I put some of the principles in practice this week. I've brought my breakfast & lunch to work all week, so I've saved $15.00 on breakfast and $50 on lunch. I gave up my $1 unsweetened tea from McDs so that saved another $5.20. So just taking 5 minutes each morning produced $70.20 in savings!

I've also changed to a reduced parking pass which costs .48 cents a week as opposed to 8.65. (Savings of  8.17)

Finally, I've brought my bike to work to commute the daily 3.0 mile (1.5 each way) from the outer lot on campus to my building. So, I've bike 15 miles on my commute and another 7 miles just for fun. I hope to build stamina and in a few weeks so I can extend the commute to 5.0 miles per day and hopefully lose some weight in the process.

Total savings this week from very easy peasy changes is $78.37 and if I can keep it up It will net me $313.48 this month or projected out to $3,761 a year.

I haven't cut the cable yet but plan to this weekend which will give me another $100/month savings and will boost my yearly savings to $4,961! It so amazing to think that 2 small, very low effort changes can save me almost $5 grand a year. I'm on my way...

If you need some advice and motivation, check out the cycling challenges we do every month in my signature. Happy Cycling!!!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1043 on: July 15, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
Why have I never discovered this thread before?!

Congrats Erica!
Congrats everyone else!

Today I calculated my net worth at 500,000! I get such a rush from every purchase I make towards buying my freedom, much more than any rush I get buying things/stuff/crap I don't need, like I used to get.
Mine just hit $200K today!  $0 was 3.5 years ago for us.  I'm so looking forward to the $500K milestone!

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1044 on: July 16, 2015, 11:20:56 AM »
Mine just hit $200K today!  $0 was 3.5 years ago for us.  I'm so looking forward to the $500K milestone!

now thats impressive !

you gotta let us know how you did that, i'd like to do that.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1045 on: July 16, 2015, 12:35:28 PM »

now thats impressive !

you gotta let us know how you did that, i'd like to do that.
Slow and stead, one month at a time.  I started out reading Dave Ramsey just after I got married in 2007.  DH was totally not interested so I just made suggestions and we gradually implemented them.  When we got married we were hugely in debt with less than $20K in retirement funds between us.

DH saw how wonderful it would be to have savings, so we started putting a bit in savings.  This eventually became our 3 month emergency fund.

We had several small annoying debts - 2 cars, 2 credit cards.  Paid these off in a year, $18K total.

He had a debt that was $100K and in collections.  (Today this is our final debt remaining.)  This took over a year to get it back in good standing, I never want to have to avoid the phone because of collection calls again!

Once we were there we started investing at least 15% of our gross income ala Dave Ramsey.  At that point I was just not super comfortable with Dave's investing advice so I started reading investment books from the library until I stumbled on a Boglehead book.  That was a good day!

Since then we've just invested monthly and paid down debt monthly.  Boring stuff.  Auto withdrawals to your 401-K are your friend!  So are automatic payments to your loans!  Each year since 2009 we've added at least $21K to our retirement accounts and paid down debt by an average of $6,700.  During this time we've also used and replenished out emergency fund several times, purchased 2 inexpensive cars with cash, and cashflowed many home improvement projects. 

So yeah, it's not exciting, it's just doing the right things day after day, month after month, and year after year.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1046 on: July 18, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »
Finally our first digit of net worth increased by 1 :)

It was rather depressing seeing 75% of my paycheck go into a 401k a few times recently only to have the market drop about the same (silly Greece!) but I think we might have solidly gone over that hump.

All new savings this year are cash savings and "repayment" to ourselves (we "borrowed" money from the rest of 2015 to pre fund IRAs/401k/tithe etc) so our cash savings will increase rather rapidly for the rest of the year.

Lindy Hop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1047 on: July 23, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »
Long time lurker, but finally had to join. I just finished reading an advanced copy (I'm a librarian) of Erica's book and congratulations! Your personality shines through and it is both inspirational and challenging. Just wanted all your MMM buddies to know how much I enjoyed it. I hope it gets found and reviewed by all the library journals so that lots of copies are bought!

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1048 on: July 23, 2015, 09:58:49 PM »
Came here to mention a couple of things I'm happy about tonight, and saw the book mention from Erica above -- it's in my Amazon cart.  :-)

I gave myself a huge pay cut today, as I bumped up my TSP contributions to try and max it out again this year.  I have been putting a lot of money into my house renovation and we had some heavy medical expenses this year, so I dropped the contributions down to the match for a while, but now they're back up.. $1k a paycheck for the rest of the year.  :-o

Also, I just used credit card points to pay for most of a round trip flight to Michigan later in the fall, where I'm going to ride the DALMAC ride from Lansing to Sault Ste Marie and spend a couple of days with my daughter, who is at MSU.  Cycling, cheap flights, travel and new sights, and daughter time.  Great stuff!

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #1049 on: July 24, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »
Yup. Maybe I should change my handle to Tortoise. But you know slow and steady wins the race…..the changes I've made are well entrenched and sustainable

Join the club!